O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
1.52/5  rDev -35%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks. (563 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -33.8%

O'Doul's Premium Non Alcoholic Brew pours a pale straw with a fizzy white head. no surprises here. it's darker than water, but lighter than piss. the head disappears in seconds.

smells of grainy adjuncts. there is a light pilsner-like malt presence, and nothing else. there may be a slight floral hop note, but it's indistinguishable.

tastes heavy with cereal, light bready malt (very light), and a confusing aftertaste. it's watery, light, and what little flavor present is off-putting.

mouthfeel light, highly carbonated.

even though i have reason to believe that this bottle was skunked, i couldn't or wouldn't willingly drink this again. it's too bad that alcoholics have to deal with this sort of punishment. yugh! im going to pour this out and grab a Bigfoot (770 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I can't believe I'm drinking this, let alone giving it a rating. I have been banned from alcohol due to medications. I can have one beer per day however. Anyway I thought this was a way to cheat and at least pretend I am drinking real beer.

A light pour with a head that dissipates quickly. A good amount of carbonation releasing from the bottom. Kind of tinny after-taste which disappears after a few sips. The head re-appears after some prompting, as it should. Not many flavors to report... maybe a slight sweetness with a semi-dry finish. (543 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance is that of tap water. Aroma contains a skunkiness usually only encountered in Mexican beers – some hops and some malt.
Initial taste is that of a watery barley. One gets the impression of beer from this N/A “beer” but there is total lack of flavor and complexity. (279 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color. One finger white head shows medium retention leaving a small collar on the beer itself. Very light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet bready malts and cereal grain. Not much else really going on here that I can tell. It's not really appealing to me although I didn't expect it to be.

T- Sweet bready malts in the front of this clashes with a cereal corn off flavor. Alcohol like flavor comes in but it also coats the tongue in a weird flavor I can't place my finger on. Light hop flavor on the backend with a hint of metallic tinge toward the final ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style I suppose. Sweet malts and cereal grain left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet hints of malts and alcohol (which there is so little) along with cereal grains. Light drying on the palate but it's not from the alcohol. Metallic off flavors which are common in a lot of BMC products I know. Flavors are balanced for the style.

D- This beer is not bad for what it is suppose to be. My palate though after first sip started to feel this weird numbing feeling which is why I rated it as low as I did. Not a beer I want to visit again but glad I tried it at least once. (1,273 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance - Pale clear yellow. Short soapy white head that dissipates quickly. A little flat looking, but otherwise appears to conform to standard.

Smell - Mildly offensive. (Possibly skunked, but all of the O'Doul's I've had have the same odor.) Not really a beer odor. Maybe some lemony hops.

Taste - Not nearly as bad as it smells. Very light. Malt flavors are practically undetectable. Just the slightest taste of citrusy hops at the finish. Comperable to a squeeze of lemon juice in a carbonated water. Not exactly disgusting, but this could be much better.

Mouthfeel - Very light, watery. Carbonated bite. Appears pretty standard.

Drinkability - The style is insipid and the beer is nothing special. I guess one could drink this if one had to, but I don't. (775 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle.
Crystal clear, light gold colour with a quickly dissipating cap of white foam. A thin collar is supported by a constant stream of bubbles, seems highly carbonated, and there was a bit of transient lacing. Strong aroma of cooked veggies, very sulfury, quite unpleasant. Low bitterness with a sticky malt sweetness. Not much in the way of flavour beyond sharp mineral notes at the end. Light bodied and dry, watery and thin, with lots of carbonation. I didn't expect much and I wasn't surprised. I don't ever expect to have this again. (553 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured clear yellow with a medium-sized, white cap. Aroma is watery and nearly nonexistent. Reminded me of shredded paper. Flavor is again, very watery with a light, sweet graininess. Body is ridiculously light and the carbonation was spritzy. Hey, if I try it I will review it.

Can. (284 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Very pale color that is very clear. It did have a good head.

Smell: Pretty bland. Some very mild malt smells, but not much to speak of.

Taste: Very bland. Frankly, it tastes kind of like water.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: While this might not be the worst thing in the world, I just kept asking myself: What's the point? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the taste of beer, but if it's not getting me somewhat buzzed, I just don't see the point. For pure taste, this isn't bad; for beer, I wouldn't drink it again. (571 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a clear yellow brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell is just a little grain smell, not good or bad.

Taste is pretty watery and a little sour. No hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel is weak, fizzy water.

Drinkability is watery, better than some NA beers but, not quite as good as a Budweiser. (303 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -25.2%

Come on... COME ON! Why am I even reviewing this? I bought a six pack for my pregnant wife because she missed her beer so much. I figured, "what the hell" I may as well see what it tastes like so I drank one. Geez. I would describe it as a potion of 78% Bud Light and 22% water. It's more watered down than any light beer I've ever had. Natural Light could kick this "beer's" ass.

In all fairness, though, it IS a nonalcoholic beer. It would be like buying a Yugoslavian compact car and expecting Corvette performance. I guess it fulfills it's purpose. If you're a pregnant woman with no other option, a raging recovering drunk, or a tutu-wearing fourth-grade girl.... This is the beer for you. (698 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -24.4%

I figured it was around time to review a N/A beer. Had this at my girlfriends family Halloween party. Not sure if any of them actually enjoy this, or if someone is an alcoholic...

Yes, I poured this into a can, and yes my girlfriends family thought I was insane. Color is piss water, and not piss water after you've been backpacking all day and your dehydrated, piss water after a long night of drinking...yea...the clear kind. This is more clear than it is yellow. Actually does have some head to it, with sad - but noticeable retention. I actually see a tiny bit of lacing.

The nose is very grainy. I think...possibly...I can detect some sort of hop addition here. Maybe not, maybe I'm smelling the person next to me's beer. This is almost like Miller Lite, in that it "smells like real beer." That line cracks me up.

The taste is uber light, watered down, what have you. Very grainy (comparitively speaking) with a light hop-like flavor. Thats about it, nothing to talk about.

Mouthfeel is light, no kidding. A reasonably high carbonation leads to a crisp bite in the mouthfeel, and it finishes clean. This is definitely drinkable, but I don't know that I could ever drink this often.

I see this beers better qualities. It does have some flavor, and it does do some characteristics good. I can't imagine it's easy (but I really don't know so I could be wrong) to make a N/A beer. I see this brew for what it is. I don't like it, but it is what it is. (1,458 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -23.9%

I actually didn't buy this with any intention of drinking more than a single bottle of the six pack. I buy non-alcoholics specifically for the purpose of cooking with them, so I won't have to sack something I'd rather drink. If you must drink it, however, you could do a lot worse. It's certainly drinkable, which is what you're really looking for in a non-alcoholic anyway. A friend of mine claimed it tasted like "watered down weasel piss," which is probably a fair assessment, but unfortunately that's just enough to make it one of the best of it's kind. (557 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -23.1%

I wanted to try this, honestly I expected a lot worse. This brew wasn't overly tasteless. It tasted like most American Lagers do. It has a golden yellow color, has the flavor of a regular pale lager. Surprisingly enough this beer is a pretty good choice for someone who can't have much alcohol. For me though, I won't need to seek this out again unless it's for a prank on someone or something like that. (404 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -21.8%

Snagged a botte the other day because it was a dollar for the single and I thought it was a great idea. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a fizzy white head that settles quickly. Lots of visible carbonation.

Standard BMC lager aroma here. Corn and that beer aroma that you would associate with the big guys. So well all know how adjunct lagers kind of suck by nature. And how light lagers tend to suck even more by nature. Just make those suck a lot more and this is what you've got. Flavorless swill is all I'm drinking right now. There is a very faint sweet corn flavor and it's a little bitter to the end but this is just no thrills at all.

Standard feel here. Light body with lots of carbonation. The problem is I can taste it when it's in my mouth.

Seriously, I want my dollar back. (815 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance: Pale golden, with nice head of off-white suds that dissipates quickly. Almost no trace of lace, oddly.

Aroma: Creamed corn. malts, typical American Adjunct Lager. Blah.

Taste: Malty, grainy, sweet with virtually no detectable trace of any hops at all. Not offensive, per se, but gives definition to the descriptive term given to me by a friend from Germany, “beer-flavored water”. Absolutely no character or taste. Not a winner. (446 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -20.5%

Takes me back to my teenage drinking years... Which wasn't much. From inexperience of the time, what a waste. Never drank after that one night & never will try again. (166 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Pours a clear straw yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint hints of golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of thick film along with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts and hints of some sweetness.

T: Light flavors of cereal grains with some hints of honey sweetness and corn adjuncts. There is something strangely chemically amount the flavor of this beer. Light amounts of bitterness which lingers.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: Not one of my favorite Low Alcohol Beers - the strange chemical/medicinal quality to the taste of the beer is off-putting and I was not a fan of the honey addition. Would not grab another one of these. (934 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%

Pale yellow with a thin fizzy head that leave no lacing at all.

Nearly foul smelling. Canned corn and white rice smell. Grainy and semi-skunky smelling.

Not putrid, but not good either. Lightly sweet and watered down grain taste. Very bland and unfresh tasting.

Thin and watery. Nothing else to report here.

Definitely not something I want to drink ever again. I would rather have a glass of water than this. (412 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a pale yellow, looks like a typical macro lager, but it's got a really nice head initially, but by the end of the glass, it retreats to nothing.

S: Very light, faint smell of malt and hops, though skunk is the predominate smell.

T: Very light, like the smell, some faint malt taste and corn, but that is it.

M: Light, like water almost, with some carbonation, has a bit of a beer body.

D: Good if you want a beer but don't want the alcohol, easy to drink, since it is basically nothing more than malt-flavoured soda water, but I usually want something with a little more body and flavour. (623 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- non-existent
Appearance- Almost looks like a pale beer
Taste- Water with some barley dipped in it
Palate- mildly carbonated, with a watery feel
Overall- Better than Coors NA, but that is not saying a lot. (257 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

tried it out of the can not so good. could not even finish it. would not recommend this. if you are looking for a NA beer St. Pauli NA ok but I like heavy beers like KaliberI wish they would make a NA beer. Kaliber is made by Kaliber should be a good beer. Malta is a good NA beer is has many good reviews. (306 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -17.5%

A: The beer is clear straw yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation.
S: There are very light aromas of corn adjunct malts in the nose.
T: The taste has notes of corn adjuncts with a slight chemical-like flavor and lingering hints of Honey Nut Cheerios in the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied, thin and watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but is rather watery and has done unusual hints of honey. (474 characters)

Reviewed from notes

Appearnace: very pale, with a slight yellow tinge, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: faint malts/breadiness, skunky

Taste: bland, watered down, a bit skunked or maybe that's how it actually tastes

Mouthfeel: it had bubbles, while weak, they were there, very light

Drinkability: shared this beer with the Montpellier Domino Club Beer Drinking Pigs; they enjoyed it much more immensely than I!

Cheers!
The CPJ (430 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -16.7%

This malt beverage pours with a slight tawny colored head, and crisp aroma. It has a light amber color and good carbonation. It has a light malty taste, with a slight hint of caramel without the bite of alcoholic beer. However, it does not have the full-bodied, robust flavor of alcoholic beer, which results in a somewhat weak flavor as compared to alcoholic beer. (365 characters)

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch