O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
2.24/5  rDev +0.4%

This is how I am marking the #500 milestone in reviews :P The opportunity to try a bottle was there, and I figured it was as good a time as any to give it a shot!

A: Pale yellow, though not as light as some others I have come across. It almost looks like it might have some colouring added, as it doesn't seem all that natural in a strange way. A notable finger-high head resting on top with a reasonable retention and an actual trimming of lace that was unexpected.

S: Quite a strong aroma, considering. Quite vegetal, with a fairly notable scent of corn husks and a grain scent - a smell that always reminds me of big bags of puffed wheat or ricecakes. Not really an aroma I have a whole lot of love for, honestly.

T: A very notable rice flavouring - again, very much like ricecakes. Fortunately, I enjoy those, so that's not too offensive. There's a soft, sweet taste to it, which makes it alright. It's not something I can't tolerate, and it's not devoid of flavour which I think, in some cases, is the greater crime.

M + D: It could ease up on the carbonation a little, though it does have a fairly decent density in the body - only in beer do I ever like my bodies 'dense.' It's a reasonable shot, though the rice aromas and flavours seem to be a bit of a move in the wrong direction when trying to reproduce the 'flavours of beer' without the alcohol content. Drinking something that hopes to reproduce such a flavour when not wanting alcohol always seems like a rather unusual idea, too, but that's just me. It was ultimately drinkable, and I wouldn't pour it down the toilet by any means. I just don't see myself going after it again any time soon.

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%

A - To start, it looks decent for a lighter brew. The head is bright white and fast to fade. The body is a crisp, clear gold color with allot of bubbles. Once the head is gone it doen't look like much.

S - The smell is not good. It has a musty soap scent that does not sit well with a beer I'd care to drink.

T - Relative to the smell the flavor isn't half bad. It has a crisp malt taste that gives it an edge.

M - The feel is light to begin but toward the middle it starts to get some coarse character. I think the texture actually helps this beer a bit by bringing out the malt flavor.

~ I don't think this is a brew I'd care to sample much more than this one time. I feel sorry for my beautiful wife that she has to endure this as a beer-staple for the next five and half months due to our expecting a baby in late March. This is a true sacrifice.

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%

Yellow brew with reasonable carbonation. Absolutely no smell to it, and taste to match. Reminds me rather of club soda, with a slight beer flavor added. Some notes of hay and hops but otherwise utterly bland.

Having gotten the bad out of the way, I'll say that it serves in what it is designed to do - satisfy a taste for beer when it's inappropriate to be drinking alcohol. It's certainly no worse than the domestic macrobrews that so many swear by (i.e. Budweiser, MGD, etc.) I'll buy it again when I need to keep my wits about me.

2.27/5  rDev +1.8%

Note to myself: Make sure you have your glasses with you when buying new beers!

I was in Ruby's Inn genreal store after a days hiking in Bryce Canyon picking up some stuff for the evening and grabbed this beer along with a few others, my mistake.

Green 12 oz bottle, poured into two plastic toothbrush holders from our motel room.

To be fair the beer had a lovely foaming head of snow white bubbles. The body was a typical lager clean looking golden straw colour.

That is about the best I can say about the brew, it got steadily worse as the tasting progressed.

I wasn't impressed at all, apart from its initial looks.

2.28/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

As the designated driver at a wedding, after a few Saranacs, I switched to NA beer for the evening. I’ve had O’Douls in the past, but this was the first time I’d had it in years. It’s yellow, very clear, and presents a moderate white head. The aroma reminds me of cereal grains and seltzer water. There’s not a lot of flavor, but it tastes similar to an average macro. I’m not a soda drinker, and I wouldn’t mind having this again, if I didn’t have a choice.

2.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (no date) into a snifter glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger off-white head of large, energetic, soap-like bubbles that quickly dies down after about 1 minute to a nearly nonexistent dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a perfectly clear pale amber yellow with a good amount of large, fast-rising carbonation bubbles. Very little lacing can be seen clinging to the sides of the glass throughout consumption.

Light, grainy, and slightly sweet malt aromas comprise the entirety of the rather weak nose. A corn adjunct aroma gives this beer a nose very similar to a mass-produced American Adjunct Lager. A slight note of overly ripe green grapes can also be detected.

The taste truly follows the nose. Light, grainy, and sweet up front, the corn malt slides smoothly over the tongue. This beer tastes like a watered down Light American Adjunct Lager. A slight mineral quality is also noticeable.

Light bodied with good carbonation, this beer is as drinkable as seltzer water. The body has the consistency of Lipton Iced Tea. The carbonation is a good bit prickly when the beer is held in the mouth. After the beer is swallowed, a slight dryness comes out during the aftertaste.

2.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nasty looking piss straw yellow with a white head and lacing that isn't present. Smells like grain and a little corn. Tastes weak with a little corn and some grain. Mouthfeel is really super than and leaves much to be desired. Drinkability is high because it has like no alcohol.

2.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Light straw with slight head and lace. Slight sweet aroma with dextrin cooked grain nose. Light and slightly fizzy. Somewhat skunky taste, like beer that hasn't had enough time to ferment (duh, its a NA). Finishes slightly cabbagy. Still, not bad for a NA.

2.3/5  rDev +3.1%

so i'm giving up beer for lent and figured i'd give a NA a try. i've never had an urge to try one of these brews but i figured what the hell. it looks like a regular macro lager and it actually smells better than most. as far as ab products go this one is definitly one of their better smelling. definite hop aroma and no skunk. the taste is similar to a regular macro lager but it almost seems seltzer like to me. i think it actually tastes like seltzer and beer mixed together with alcohol removed. not horrible but not great...i'll give some other NA's a try and see how this compares, but for right now i guess it'll suffice

2.32/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a shaker pint.

Pale straw with 2 fingers of fizzy head. Excellent clarity and low carbonation.

Water with a splash of apple juice and maybe a cereal grain or two.

I can barely taste anything. It's basically seltzer water with the tiniest hint of grain and a drop of apple juice.

Light bodied with stinging carbonation.

It's not really offensive, but at this point you might as well drink a Soda. Not bad for the style though.

2.32/5  rDev +4%

A: pale yellow, more clear, trace head, almost no lacing

S: hops, grain, tricking my nose into thinking its 'real' beer.

T: light grain up front, watery body, not sweet, nor bitter.

M: light body, dry finish

D: Not bad, but the alcohol is clearly the missing flavor ingredient. If one wants to drink beer, but avoid the buzz; just pass on beer. It's not worth the sad calories.

Just above drinking water/liquid bread.

2.33/5  rDev +4.5%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

Finished off the night with the classic N/A. I actually grabbed this one from Dad's house as he has sworn by it for years. Pours about what I would expect, a dull golden yellow with a finger high head of foamy white that fades as quick as it started. Lots of visible carbonation coming up throughout the session. The aroma was bready, very light, but hints of light hops could actually be picked up if you really look for it. Clean flavor, light breads, musky, moldy grains and that ever present corn flavor. Quick dash of hops and its gone.

It gets bonus points for being water, but that's about it. It was actually not the worst tasting of the group at all.

2.34/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: From the can, it looks like yellow carbonated water.

Smell: Corn. Water.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is ok. Basically soda water with a sweet corn taste. Not smooth due to carbonation.

Drinkability: Carbonated water can be hard to drink, and this is not much different.

Overall: A perfect beer to get drunk on...cough cough.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

A- pours a pale-pale straw color with a small fizzy white head that reduces to a thin layer that skims the top, just a bit of lace.

S- typical light beer smell, some grains and a bit of yeast, bit much going on.

T- light, very light. Almost like drinking seltzer water. Just a touch of grainy husk, otherwise pretty simple.

M- light body with medium carbonation, very spritzy and fizzy, similar to soda.

O- it is what it is, however it was more tolerable than some of its light lager counterparts. It just taste more like flavored carbonated water to me. I didn't enjoy anything about this beer, but graded with the style in mind.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

I admit I was always curious about what a NA beer tasted like, but I only picked this up at my Dad's request. Comes in a green bottle and pours like golden and thin with minimal head like so many of the classics. Very drinkable and similar in taste to some of the classics as well, except for one detail...the smell. This is the stinkiest beer I've ever had. As soon as I twisted off the cap the smell actually came and found me. I've heard of certain beers smelling "skunky", but this one is the first I've had that perfectly fits that description. Even some of the aftertaste is skunk and if you dare belch, more skunk. Other than the smell, it goes down very easy, but why shouldn't it? There's nothing in it but bubbles. If you're in the market for a NA beer, try to sample them in small quantities before committing to a sixer. I believe Coors and Busch offer one.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

2.37/5  rDev +6.3%

hate to rag on an NA beer, because the fact these exist and are available for those who cant drink because of health, self control, or driving safe reasons is awesome, and i applaud it, but this is a terrible NA beer, and id rather just have water if i have to drive for the night. it pours from the bottle an entirely flat looking yellow wheat color with literally no head at all. the nose is sweet and extracty, corn syrupy almost. the flavor is about the same as the nose, very little redeeming at al about it, and it would barely pass as beer to me in a blind tasting. i dont hate the body, which is sort of medium to light, not watery as i expected, but te carbonation just isnt there. i try to keep a 6er of NA around for soem friends of mine who dont partake anymore, but i wont buy this again. i prefer ever single NA ive ever tasted to this one, how can a beer be this flat and bland? not fair to the sober guys.

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

This may be the ugliest beer I've ever come across. It was so pale yellow, it almost looked a bit gray. Very strange. That aside, it had a thin, grainy aroma and a touch of floral hops. I was really impressed because AB gave their NA beer a hop aroma that their regular beers lack. The beer had a macro, super-carbonation, thin mouthfeel. It had only a very faint malt tase. The other flavor / aroma struck me as odd. It could only be percieved by retronasally. It was a very faint, soft fruit. It reminded me of Diet Snapple Peach Iced Tea. Very strange.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Glad to find a single of this at Total Wine for $0.99 so I could finally try an NA beer.

A - Looks pretty much like any American lager/light lager. A finger or less of head recedes quickly to nothing, and leaves some very minimal lace. Pale yellow and completely clear.

S - There's actually a discernable grain aroma with some old, vague hops.

T - Bland grain with a slight sweetness. Finishes clean and flavorless.

M - Quick prickly carbonation that fades almost instantly. Watery, thin.

D - This actually isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Of course there are other things, but for a non-beer beer, it's not half bad.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

First I must confess I drank this out of the bottle.

Very clear... must be pale yellow on the pour. Head, I dunno, I drank it from the bottle. It's fizzy and slightly bitter. Hey it must be beer! Actually it wasn't that bad... Not the thinnest beer I've had, surprisingly. Not much taste though. The amber is much better.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Extremely watery. No detectable aroma. No hop taste. Tastes like tonic water with a metallic twinge. They must've done something to increase the flavor in this NA as it has at least a semblance of taste whereas it didn't a few years ago. Very drinkable (due to watery nature). Not as good as the Amber version.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Straw colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: A lot like a macro lager. Rice and straw and little else.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and dry malt. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for an NA. Pretty much Bud with the alcohol zapped out of it.

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch