2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 151 | Show All Ratings:
Naugros

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yes, like most BAers, I'm only reviewing this near-beer in order to see how many styles I can review here. I was surprised to see such a high score from the Brothers so I'm hopeful despite the average being D-. I'm hoping that's because most people do not review to the style and the Brothers do.

The appearance is yellow and fizzy, just like it's more alcoholic cousin, yet it doesn't hold its head up for too long. Otherwise, it's crystal clear and a straw color.

I've smelled worse full octane beers. This is one has got crystal malts and flowery hops coming through with some sense of sweet corn. The taste is pretty similar with the advent of a slightly fruity component, perhaps crab apple. I'd expect the mouthfeel to be very dry and it is to some point, but there's a bitter twinge at the end that makes me grimace a little.

Okay, not too bad for a near beer and better than many full ABV cousins. I still see no point in these creations. I am one who drinks beer for its taste, while many NASCAR beer drinkers do so to fit in or to get a buzz. Getting that buzz relaxes them and allows them to fit in better. Note: I did say "most". I do realize some people like the taste of the beers advertised on stock cars. Everyone has their own taste.

07-23-2011 19:44:55 | More by Naugros
depechemode1983

2.95/5  rDev +43.9%

Light golden straw color. Seems to be very carbonated. Foamy white head with moderated retention. Smell is very grainy. Lots of corn and straw and a bit metallic. Taste like a cheap mass produced beer. Actually this taste better than some other alcoholic BMC products Ive had. Sweet corn, hops barley pulls through. Mouth feel seems to be very carbonated and kinda watery. pretty much the only aspect of the beer that needs some work. everything else is typical. I cant remember when I last drank a NA beer. I don't remember it being this good. Not to say this beer is good or anything. Its just not horrible.

07-08-2011 00:08:12 | More by depechemode1983
evlu1441

Alberta (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev +11.2%

I haven't ever had a "low-alcohol beer" before, but this one was sitting in the singles bin at my local store. I figured it might be nice to find a good beer to enjoy without getting drunk.

Looks like a normal lager. Very pale with a huge head that quickly settles down into nothing.

There is literally almost no aroma. Only a slight metallic and faintly sweet smell, but it takes some concentration to discern.

The taste is kind of boring, but I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. It is a little malty and sweet, but also kind of watery. Not terrible, and kind of refreshing.

Overall... I didn't really like this beer, but it isn't a complete turn-off to the world of alcohol-free beer.

06-10-2011 04:10:04 | More by evlu1441
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.17/5  rDev +5.9%

Yellow beer. No head, but loads of carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn, like Iowa, but worse. I might even discern a light hoppiness.

Taste is like bmc, but worse, I dunno where that light hoppiness went in the nose, but it ain't on the tongue, although some residual metallic bitterness is. I can't rate this 'to style', I don't like the style, and the style it is denatured from is a crappy one to boot, so you're getting like a xerox of a crappy xerox (to borrow from duplicity essentially, or was it the Simpsons?). Its not awful, but it doesn't blow me away either. Light body, no alcohol or hops. . . really, what rating could you expect from this?

Only relative value for this, is clearly if you want a real beer, but for whatever reason (legal, emotional, responsible) you can't.

My dad used to have loads of this crap and Sharps. At .99 cent in the singles pile, figured this would be a good weekday beer. Boy was I wrong, it just left me all pissed off afterwards.

05-09-2011 22:35:59 | More by Beerandraiderfan
THECPJ

Delaware

1.95/5  rDev -4.9%

Reviewed from notes

Appearnace: very pale, with a slight yellow tinge, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: faint malts/breadiness, skunky

Taste: bland, watered down, a bit skunked or maybe that's how it actually tastes

Mouthfeel: it had bubbles, while weak, they were there, very light

Drinkability: shared this beer with the Montpellier Domino Club Beer Drinking Pigs; they enjoyed it much more immensely than I!

Cheers!
The CPJ

03-04-2011 01:34:04 | More by THECPJ
tjsdomer2

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: From the can, it looks like yellow carbonated water.

Smell: Corn. Water.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is ok. Basically soda water with a sweet corn taste. Not smooth due to carbonation.

Drinkability: Carbonated water can be hard to drink, and this is not much different.

Overall: A perfect beer to get drunk on...cough cough.

04-25-2010 04:47:54 | More by tjsdomer2
Mistofminn

1.75/5  rDev -14.6%

I figured it was around time to review a N/A beer. Had this at my girlfriends family Halloween party. Not sure if any of them actually enjoy this, or if someone is an alcoholic...

Yes, I poured this into a can, and yes my girlfriends family thought I was insane. Color is piss water, and not piss water after you've been backpacking all day and your dehydrated, piss water after a long night of drinking...yea...the clear kind. This is more clear than it is yellow. Actually does have some head to it, with sad - but noticeable retention. I actually see a tiny bit of lacing.

The nose is very grainy. I think...possibly...I can detect some sort of hop addition here. Maybe not, maybe I'm smelling the person next to me's beer. This is almost like Miller Lite, in that it "smells like real beer." That line cracks me up.

The taste is uber light, watered down, what have you. Very grainy (comparitively speaking) with a light hop-like flavor. Thats about it, nothing to talk about.

Mouthfeel is light, no kidding. A reasonably high carbonation leads to a crisp bite in the mouthfeel, and it finishes clean. This is definitely drinkable, but I don't know that I could ever drink this often.

I see this beers better qualities. It does have some flavor, and it does do some characteristics good. I can't imagine it's easy (but I really don't know so I could be wrong) to make a N/A beer. I see this brew for what it is. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

11-02-2009 05:55:14 | More by Mistofminn
BeerFMAndy

1.98/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler Pint. 0.5% ABV, Born on date of 16Jun04 (yes, '04...this will be fun!) Thanks to my girlfriend's parents for this "cellared" can. Lol.

A - Crystal clear insanely pale yellow straw. Very effervescent. Lots of bubbles rising up to a surprisingly well-retained two-finger head. Fluffy, white, and increasingly rocky as it drops. Didn't leave any lacing on the glass though.

S - The aroma is an off-putting earthy straw and wet leaf with A LOT of rice. Yuck. It doesn't smell much like beer at all.

T - Rice. It tastes like nothing at all with a teeny splash of rice water. That is the least flavor I have ever experienced in a beer.

M - Thin, watery, and fizzy to the finish, it's the lightest thing with the word beer on the can.

D - With the age on this thing I was expecting to be close to a barf. No joke. But it's not even "bad" per se. It can't be bad when there is nothing there to be bad really. It's totally devoid of any flavor! God damn prohibition must have been awful with legal beer like this.

10-19-2009 22:19:30 | More by BeerFMAndy
cdkrenz

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

A - To start, it looks decent for a lighter brew. The head is bright white and fast to fade. The body is a crisp, clear gold color with allot of bubbles. Once the head is gone it doen't look like much.

S - The smell is not good. It has a musty soap scent that does not sit well with a beer I'd care to drink.

T - Relative to the smell the flavor isn't half bad. It has a crisp malt taste that gives it an edge.

M - The feel is light to begin but toward the middle it starts to get some coarse character. I think the texture actually helps this beer a bit by bringing out the malt flavor.

~ I don't think this is a brew I'd care to sample much more than this one time. I feel sorry for my beautiful wife that she has to endure this as a beer-staple for the next five and half months due to our expecting a baby in late March. This is a true sacrifice.

10-02-2009 22:25:24 | More by cdkrenz
ansurdu

2.15/5  rDev +4.9%

appearance - clear, yellow, the usual. had tons of head when I first poured it so I got my hopes up. Was gone almost immediately. Left a little lacing

smell - had a weird metallic quality to it. Smelled a bit of malt, maybe.

taste - Bland, but you can taste the malt...kind of...

mouthfeel - watery. At first there was too much carbonation. Halfway through it's almost gone.

Drinkability? I mean, it's not the worst thing ever, but there isn't much of a use for it. Although, I would put this on par with most bmc's. Slightly more drinkable even.

08-18-2009 19:57:34 | More by ansurdu
SLOBGOBLIN

3.85/5  rDev +87.8%

I like this N/A beer,the apperance is of a yellow gold with a light lace of head & froth.
Smells like adjucnt & lite hops.
Tastes good & mouthfeel is good & drinkability is great on a hot summer day when it is ice cold.
overall one of the better n/a's.

Serving type: growler

05-13-2009 21:48:53 | More by SLOBGOBLIN
adamette

1.93/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Live Review. Odouls poured from a can into a clean, clear glass. "Premium & Extra Smooth"

A Big fluffy head over a straw yellow body with carbonation rising up. Basic look.

S Kind of a fakey pilsner smell, not entirely off putting, some grains.

T The least amount of taste of any beer that I have had. Really, it is water with some grains, maybe some pilsner grains? I have an obligation to give this the lowest rating that I can due to it almost non existent taste.

M Very light indeed. I may even detect a hint of syrupy stickiness but I am really searching for something interesting here.

D Excellent but I will not be testing its drinkability anytime soon.

05-07-2009 23:16:20 | More by adamette
Rhynes2

2.1/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm not really ready to admit that this is a beer. Taste is completely below average and doesn't have any special characteristics. Very bland. Little head that dissipates quickly and a sub-par smell. Color is pale and mostly unattractive. Stay away from this one. As far as flavor is concerned, this ones a no go.

01-27-2009 15:33:51 | More by Rhynes2
scarletfire79

New Hampshire

2.25/5  rDev +9.8%

so i'm giving up beer for lent and figured i'd give a NA a try. i've never had an urge to try one of these brews but i figured what the hell. it looks like a regular macro lager and it actually smells better than most. as far as ab products go this one is definitly one of their better smelling. definite hop aroma and no skunk. the taste is similar to a regular macro lager but it almost seems seltzer like to me. i think it actually tastes like seltzer and beer mixed together with alcohol removed. not horrible but not great...i'll give some other NA's a try and see how this compares, but for right now i guess it'll suffice

02-23-2007 04:50:52 | More by scarletfire79
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

Originally reviewed on September 24, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Barely yellow pour, with a huge head of white. Greasy skank aroma. I’ve drank water with more flavor. Can I give this negative flavor points? I’ll give it a 2, because it’s not entirely offensive. Finish hurts though, with stinging corn fusels. Damn glad to get this style out of the way.

11-27-2006 23:54:02 | More by CharlesDarwin
scottoale

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Why? Oh that's right, a picnic at the beach with non-drinkers? Whatever!

From the 12fl.oz. can and into the plastic tumbler pours a very pale gold with a 1/4 inch white cap that settles to 1/8 inch and leaves little lacing. Carbonation looks good, almost resembles beer...

The smell is malt and wheat and almost a bit of hop in there somewhere. Smells like beer. Doesn't smell sweet either which is kind of refreshing.

Tastes of feathery light malt with very little sweetness and finishes clean and crisp with a nice balance, no unpleasant aftertaste at all. It even actually tastes like beer.

Ultra light body with a pleasant watery mouthfeel, the carbonation keeps the stuff alive and somewhat refreshing.

If your stuck with a non-alcoholic barley-pop situation, this isn't a bad way to go...right up there with St. Pauligirl NA. I wouldn't wish that upon you however!

07-31-2006 00:22:16 | More by scottoale
jwc215

3.05/5  rDev +48.8%

Poured light yellow - fast carbonation with a fluffy white head that almost immediately vanished to nothing.
In the smell, there were some hints of hops and malt. They were very light, but clean - no worse than most light beers.
The taste was watery, but had hints of some hops, especially in the aftertaste. It was clean, but weak.
It leaves a clean, but rather flat feel. I can see how someone who can't have alcohol for some reason might be refreshed by it. Considering its style, it's not bad. Actually, it's probably at least as good as most macro lights. Not something that I personally would go for though. (If I can't have a beer, I most likely won't. I based the scores on the style - not so much personal preference.)

07-13-2006 17:37:44 | More by jwc215
shererjt

2.45/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad.

05-21-2006 01:30:22 | More by shererjt
tgbljb

2.83/5  rDev +38%

poured a very pale yellow color with a large head head to start that quickly left. Smell is very grainy with the same maltiness (somewhat unpleasant but possible to get used to) in other low or no alcohol beers. Taste is somewhat sweet and not enjoyable at first, but improves with subsequent tastes. Finishe is wet and kind of refreshing. OK for an NA.

12-11-2005 00:51:02 | More by tgbljb
nekronos

Mexico

3.9/5  rDev +90.2%

Well, it is a non alcoholic beer, I can not say much about it, but what it is for sure, is that it was not that bad, I mean, one have to be concerning that it is a low degree alcohol beer and you have to rate as one of it. But the colour was nice, the foam, just present, and the mouthfeel was not that bad, I would drink another one.

10-20-2005 13:44:13 | More by nekronos
DogFood11

1.53/5  rDev -25.4%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks.

08-31-2005 06:25:25 | More by DogFood11
Dubblebock

3.15/5  rDev +53.7%

So here's the story...I went to see my in-laws over the Thanksgiving holiday. My father-in-law has cancer, in remission right now, but he takes a lot of maintenance medications that don't interact well with alcohol. But he likes his beer. Before he was diagnosed, he and I spent a lot of time together throwin' 'em back. Long story short, he keeps a few of these O'Douls in the fridge for when he wants to get a little malt on
. So I'm there, and the turkey is long gone, and I didn't take any beer with me...and that nice, cold O'Douls is starting to look kinda inviting.

Poured surprisingly well. Decent head, lots of carbonation. I expected a weak nose, but was pleasantly surprised by the crisp, malty smell. Extremely clear, pale appearance.

Tasted just fine. If I hadn't been aware that it was a non-alcoholic beer, I would have sworn that it was Bud Light or Busch. A bit of a watery mouthfeel, but it was very drinkable. The malt definitely came through in the taste. Little bit of hops on the back of the tongue.

Much, much better than I expected. If I were out and didn't want to drink alcohol, this would be my choice. It looked, tasted, and drank as good as any full-alcohol macro-light-lager. Good show.

12-01-2003 18:24:38 | More by Dubblebock
Jason

3.38/5  rDev +64.9%

12 oz can with the “Born On Date” on the bottom. The official beer for the confirmed alcoholics of the PGA Tour.

Appearance: One of the palest brews I have ever seen almost the same colour as DC tap water. Minimal lacing ends up holding its ground for a while.

Smell: Good balance between hops and grain, almost smells like a real beer.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Wicked light in flavour, light grain … very watery. Nice crispness within the extremely light body. Did I say light? Yes very light. Not too starchy and very clean in the dry finish.

Notes: I could have confused this with a regular light beer … perhaps one of the most beery NA beers around.

09-01-2003 13:07:38 | More by Jason
Rifrafboy

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours dry like a typical N/A brew. Decent head with lacing abound. Taste is dry and smooth. Malt is there, mostly from grains and in particular, corn. This a decent example of the type. I would try this again for a good N/A American lager. Best if served ice cold.

03-14-2003 18:01:15 | More by Rifrafboy
garymuchow

2.98/5  rDev +45.4%

Big full head with gold color. Looks like a typical Am. lager. Mostly sweet water aroma with some tinniness/metalic qualities, with some malt. Taste is non-distinct, yet somehow not excessively watery. Little less of sweet water taste than many. Some metalic tones. Seems a little less thin that many, with a satifactory carbonation. Other than being a N/A, there is nothing terrifically wrong with this. It'll do if a N/A is required, but the European ones are generally better.

11-24-2002 15:24:06 | More by garymuchow