Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -23.9%

I actually didn't buy this with any intention of drinking more than a single bottle of the six pack. I buy non-alcoholics specifically for the purpose of cooking with them, so I won't have to sack something I'd rather drink. If you must drink it, however, you could do a lot worse. It's certainly drinkable, which is what you're really looking for in a non-alcoholic anyway. A friend of mine claimed it tasted like "watered down weasel piss," which is probably a fair assessment, but unfortunately that's just enough to make it one of the best of it's kind. (557 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -3.4%

Yellow brew with reasonable carbonation. Absolutely no smell to it, and taste to match. Reminds me rather of club soda, with a slight beer flavor added. Some notes of hay and hops but otherwise utterly bland.

Having gotten the bad out of the way, I'll say that it serves in what it is designed to do - satisfy a taste for beer when it's inappropriate to be drinking alcohol. It's certainly no worse than the domestic macrobrews that so many swear by (i.e. Budweiser, MGD, etc.) I'll buy it again when I need to keep my wits about me. (534 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +4.7%

First I must confess I drank this out of the bottle.

Very clear... must be pale yellow on the pour. Head, I dunno, I drank it from the bottle. It's fizzy and slightly bitter. Hey it must be beer! Actually it wasn't that bad... Not the thinnest beer I've had, surprisingly. Not much taste though. The amber is much better. (324 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -50.9%

Tasted in Las Vegas.

Very nice bottle with an elegant old-world label.

Beer is very pale, with quickly dying carbonation and short-living head.

Smell is something from another world - sweetish, completely artificial. Start is sweet, too, body very thin (if there is any body at all), finish bitterish, synthetic, aftertaste of something like cardboard.

But the bottle is very nice... Have I said it before? Sorry. (425 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

Light straw with slight head and lace. Slight sweet aroma with dextrin cooked grain nose. Light and slightly fizzy. Somewhat skunky taste, like beer that hasn't had enough time to ferment (duh, its a NA). Finishes slightly cabbagy. Still, not bad for a NA. (259 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +62.4%

This was my first non-alcoholic beer, but I'm genuinely impressed with how much it was unlike regular beers in the American Adjunct category. Decent taste and mouthfeel. Not amazing but pretty normal really, which I would assume for this style is very good. I would have another one. Why not? It's not offensive at all. (319 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Very pale color that is very clear. It did have a good head.

Smell: Pretty bland. Some very mild malt smells, but not much to speak of.

Taste: Very bland. Frankly, it tastes kind of like water.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: While this might not be the worst thing in the world, I just kept asking myself: What's the point? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the taste of beer, but if it's not getting me somewhat buzzed, I just don't see the point. For pure taste, this isn't bad; for beer, I wouldn't drink it again. (571 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +23.1%

A- Pours a bright clear yellow with a large foamy head. Leaves some lacing in the glass.

S- a mild spiciness with a bland grainey malt.

T- Almost flavorless. Just a hint of grainey malt.

M- Like drinking a glass of water.

D- OK for what it is. Not much going on. (266 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -5.1%

I haven't ever had a "low-alcohol beer" before, but this one was sitting in the singles bin at my local store. I figured it might be nice to find a good beer to enjoy without getting drunk.

Looks like a normal lager. Very pale with a huge head that quickly settles down into nothing.

There is literally almost no aroma. Only a slight metallic and faintly sweet smell, but it takes some concentration to discern.

The taste is kind of boring, but I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. It is a little malty and sweet, but also kind of watery. Not terrible, and kind of refreshing.

Overall... I didn't really like this beer, but it isn't a complete turn-off to the world of alcohol-free beer. (696 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer is one of the best beer of this worst brewer, may be is for the low in alcohol, is special for the mexican food, american food, buddies meeting, without the "funny" of the alcohol, is low in adjoincts aroma´s, very recommendable, taste over the average, drinkability in general is good (296 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -33.8%

O'Doul's Premium Non Alcoholic Brew pours a pale straw with a fizzy white head. no surprises here. it's darker than water, but lighter than piss. the head disappears in seconds.

smells of grainy adjuncts. there is a light pilsner-like malt presence, and nothing else. there may be a slight floral hop note, but it's indistinguishable.

tastes heavy with cereal, light bready malt (very light), and a confusing aftertaste. it's watery, light, and what little flavor present is off-putting.

mouthfeel light, highly carbonated.

even though i have reason to believe that this bottle was skunked, i couldn't or wouldn't willingly drink this again. it's too bad that alcoholics have to deal with this sort of punishment. yugh! im going to pour this out and grab a Bigfoot (770 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +12.4%

ap: Pours out a pale yellow with almost zero head that would go away quickly if it could.
sm: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer smell.
ta: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer taste.
mf: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer feel.
dr: Okay. It's not flavorful, not really *good* beer, just a light weight (really light) beer when I want a beer w/ lunch before going for a motorcycle ride. A harmless self-delusion. (413 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +62.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden color with head that thins to almost nothing. Smells is sweet corn and a little skunks. Goes down smooth. Taste is sweet. Not much like a adjunct lager. For a non-alcoholic this is pretty good. Much better than Miller 64 and Bud Select 55. And better than most macros of there. (292 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -11.1%

I'm not really ready to admit that this is a beer. Taste is completely below average and doesn't have any special characteristics. Very bland. Little head that dissipates quickly and a sub-par smell. Color is pale and mostly unattractive. Stay away from this one. As far as flavor is concerned, this ones a no go. (313 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad. (565 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

so i'm giving up beer for lent and figured i'd give a NA a try. i've never had an urge to try one of these brews but i figured what the hell. it looks like a regular macro lager and it actually smells better than most. as far as ab products go this one is definitly one of their better smelling. definite hop aroma and no skunk. the taste is similar to a regular macro lager but it almost seems seltzer like to me. i think it actually tastes like seltzer and beer mixed together with alcohol removed. not horrible but not great...i'll give some other NA's a try and see how this compares, but for right now i guess it'll suffice (628 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +65.8%

Well, it is a non alcoholic beer, I can not say much about it, but what it is for sure, is that it was not that bad, I mean, one have to be concerning that it is a low degree alcohol beer and you have to rate as one of it. But the colour was nice, the foam, just present, and the mouthfeel was not that bad, I would drink another one. (334 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -53%

I'm still confused as to who drinks this and why. I actually remember seeing a pregnant lady drinking one of these. Is that safe? I still don't know the answer.

There is nothing to like or dislike about this beer.

What beer drinkers drink when their not drinkin' beer. (272 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours dry like a typical N/A brew. Decent head with lacing abound. Taste is dry and smooth. Malt is there, mostly from grains and in particular, corn. This a decent example of the type. I would try this again for a good N/A American lager. Best if served ice cold. (264 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +22.6%

The appearance has a very good deep gold color but on the negative side it has a very thin head that dies fast and leaves no lace. The smell is sweet and crisp, pleasing. The taste is average. It is very light, it starts out smooth with cereal malts and ends with no hop kiss and a weak flat yeasty aftertaste. The mouth feel is that of water as it feels and leaves nothing just like water. The drinkability is hampered by the sharp hops that are normally absent unless you chug.

Some final notes: Not bad but I prefer the Amber. It is also sad that the best Aunheuser-Busch has to offer is N/A. (599 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +38.9%

12 oz bottle

The taste and smell really give the impression that this is a wanna-be pilsner. Like a nine year old trying to be Tony Hawk, it fails to meet the mark but you certainly appreciate the attempt. Maybe my expectations were unrealistically low, but I was somewhat impressed. Some bitter hop notes and grains were in the mix. It was predictably watered down, but not so that they could not be enjoyed.

There is a lot of air in this beer and the carbonation dominates the mouth feel. The beer is very light as you would expect. Overall its pretty drinkable (but then again, so is water).

I'm no expert on near beer by any means, but this beer met my expectations and served as a fair stand-in for the real thing. I probably will buy it again in the future. (767 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +34.6%

So here's the story...I went to see my in-laws over the Thanksgiving holiday. My father-in-law has cancer, in remission right now, but he takes a lot of maintenance medications that don't interact well with alcohol. But he likes his beer. Before he was diagnosed, he and I spent a lot of time together throwin' 'em back. Long story short, he keeps a few of these O'Douls in the fridge for when he wants to get a little malt on
. So I'm there, and the turkey is long gone, and I didn't take any beer with me...and that nice, cold O'Douls is starting to look kinda inviting.

Poured surprisingly well. Decent head, lots of carbonation. I expected a weak nose, but was pleasantly surprised by the crisp, malty smell. Extremely clear, pale appearance.

Tasted just fine. If I hadn't been aware that it was a non-alcoholic beer, I would have sworn that it was Bud Light or Busch. A bit of a watery mouthfeel, but it was very drinkable. The malt definitely came through in the taste. Little bit of hops on the back of the tongue.

Much, much better than I expected. If I were out and didn't want to drink alcohol, this would be my choice. It looked, tasted, and drank as good as any full-alcohol macro-light-lager. Good show. (1,228 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +50%

Pale straw color, and leaves no head.

Malts, green apples, clean water are what this smells like to me.

The taste is slightly sweet, but more bready, with some grainiess, slight bitterness, and lots of carbonation. There's sort of a green apple sour/sweetness to it.

Mouthfeel is obviously thin.

For a low-alcohol beer, this is quite nice. (347 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance: There was a quick dissipating head that was very disappointing to see; however, there was ample carbonation and a decent color that fit the brew.

Smell: This beer had a tinge of skunky smell that was a severe disappointment.

Taste: Surprisingly, not as bad as the smell, but not great either. It was very bland.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was this beer's saving grace; however, like many large distribution beers, this beer tasted watered down.

Overall: This was my first low alcohol beer and my expectations were somewhat met concerning it. The biggest disappointment was the smell. The greatest attribute was the heavy carbonation which successfully served as a helpful reminder that you were drinking a beer, despite its low alcohol content. (762 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +18.8%

Presentation: Poured a clear, golden color into a mug. A finger-thick head developed on top of the beer, but there wasn't a lot of retention. It showed off a moderate amount of carbonation. The scent was of cereal grains, mainly. There wasn't much else to it. At least it wasn't an unpleasant smell.

Tasting: Grass and grain were the predominant flavors across the tongue with this beer. I didn't detect much of either hop bitterness or malt sweetness. In actuality, it was somewhat flavorless. Mouthfeel was watery and plain, making this not very pleasant. It's possible that I would have another one, served ice cold. (622 characters)

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch