O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some faint hints of grain. Taste is also grains, a touch of malt, actually more flavor than other beers of this style. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I will be in no rush to have another, it ain't the worst of this style. (328 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle.
Crystal clear, light gold colour with a quickly dissipating cap of white foam. A thin collar is supported by a constant stream of bubbles, seems highly carbonated, and there was a bit of transient lacing. Strong aroma of cooked veggies, very sulfury, quite unpleasant. Low bitterness with a sticky malt sweetness. Not much in the way of flavour beyond sharp mineral notes at the end. Light bodied and dry, watery and thin, with lots of carbonation. I didn't expect much and I wasn't surprised. I don't ever expect to have this again. (553 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +23.1%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is mostly grain with just a touch of hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is light grain and not much else. Clean, crisp and refreshing. Nothing more, nothing less.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- I tried to review this beer for what it is. A light beer with very little alcohol. I was not expecting a huge complex beer or something that would knock my socks off. For what it is, it is a pretty decent brew to knock back a few of them in a sitting without getting a buzz. (613 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -5.6%

Yellow beer. No head, but loads of carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn, like Iowa, but worse. I might even discern a light hoppiness.

Taste is like bmc, but worse, I dunno where that light hoppiness went in the nose, but it ain't on the tongue, although some residual metallic bitterness is. I can't rate this 'to style', I don't like the style, and the style it is denatured from is a crappy one to boot, so you're getting like a xerox of a crappy xerox (to borrow from duplicity essentially, or was it the Simpsons?). Its not awful, but it doesn't blow me away either. Light body, no alcohol or hops. . . really, what rating could you expect from this?

Only relative value for this, is clearly if you want a real beer, but for whatever reason (legal, emotional, responsible) you can't.

My dad used to have loads of this crap and Sharps. At .99 cent in the singles pile, figured this would be a good weekday beer. Boy was I wrong, it just left me all pissed off afterwards. (976 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems the usual.

Aroma is full of corn, sweet malt and ginger ale. Yep, your substandard n/a beer here.

Taste is mild and grainy with a bit of sweet malt and ginger ale in the back. Just light and watery enough to be inoffensive.

Not much lingers at the back of the throat. Just a bit of sweet malt and grain.

Eh, it's a non-alcoholic beer. What do you expect? It's inoffensive though. You'd pretty much have to drink a 30 pack just to get drunk. If that's your thing, then by all means, do it. (565 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +26.1%

Picked up at Julio's so I could check this style off my list. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - A super crystal clear straw pour with a fizzy white two finger head that fades rapidly to leave a thin halo. Lots of bubbles in the glass.

S - Larger aromas. Lots of sweet malts, grains, and corn. Not much else.

T - Pretty much the same. Much sweeter than I figured it would. Sweet malts, some grains and corn. I've had worse surprisingly.

M - Somewhat thin, but I suppose that is to be expected. Its still refreshing though, but then again so is water.

O - Overall, shocked at this beer. I guess if you cant drink beers anymore this doesnt taste all that bad. I've had much worse lagers. (697 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -17.5%

Reviewed from notes

Appearnace: very pale, with a slight yellow tinge, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: faint malts/breadiness, skunky

Taste: bland, watered down, a bit skunked or maybe that's how it actually tastes

Mouthfeel: it had bubbles, while weak, they were there, very light

Drinkability: shared this beer with the Montpellier Domino Club Beer Drinking Pigs; they enjoyed it much more immensely than I!

Cheers!
The CPJ (430 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -10.3%

I drank this once before I was 21 when a friend of mine was stealing a beer from different 6-packs from his work. For some reason, he grabbed a couple of these and I haven't seen since the other night when I went to drink at my "recovering" alcoholic sister-in-law's house.
clear, yellowish body that has no smell really. Taste is light and airy, a tad sweetness is overpowered by barley and water. This stuff doesn't dry out the mouth, which is good. Then again, that's because there is nothing in here except water and barley. I will take a soda anyday, but I guess I can see why people trying to quit alcohol but still like a cold "beer" here and there will spend money on it. (679 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler Pint. 0.5% ABV, Born on date of 16Jun04 (yes, '04...this will be fun!) Thanks to my girlfriend's parents for this "cellared" can. Lol.

A - Crystal clear insanely pale yellow straw. Very effervescent. Lots of bubbles rising up to a surprisingly well-retained two-finger head. Fluffy, white, and increasingly rocky as it drops. Didn't leave any lacing on the glass though.

S - The aroma is an off-putting earthy straw and wet leaf with A LOT of rice. Yuck. It doesn't smell much like beer at all.

T - Rice. It tastes like nothing at all with a teeny splash of rice water. That is the least flavor I have ever experienced in a beer.

M - Thin, watery, and fizzy to the finish, it's the lightest thing with the word beer on the can.

D - With the age on this thing I was expecting to be close to a barf. No joke. But it's not even "bad" per se. It can't be bad when there is nothing there to be bad really. It's totally devoid of any flavor! God damn prohibition must have been awful with legal beer like this. (1,051 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured clear yellow with a medium-sized, white cap. Aroma is watery and nearly nonexistent. Reminded me of shredded paper. Flavor is again, very watery with a light, sweet graininess. Body is ridiculously light and the carbonation was spritzy. Hey, if I try it I will review it.

Can. (284 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -53%

I finally broke down and tried one of these they were giving away at the Convention Center in Anaheim during a reception. Any curiosity I had is now sated. I'll get more wine instead next time I have the choice. How could anyone like this? By definition this is not really even beer. (283 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +28.6%

So begins my quest for a nice N/A....

Clear straw color with a nice white head at first and very active carbonation pretty much throughout. Prominent corn adjunct aroma and flavor but not any more so than the standard A-B offerings. Very light bodied. Crisp and clean and not much different than other alcoholic macros which would make it diff to distinguish blind I would think.

Per label:
-65 cal., 13.3 g carb., 0.7g carb, 0 fat

Born On: 11/30/05
Tasted: 01/08/06

($4.56 / 6-pack) (497 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +57.7%

I have sinned.

My friend was doing 10 days in the pokey for DUI. When he got sprung, I decided to play a cruel joke on him by offering him a beer during the carride home. Only it wouldn't be a beer, see, it'd be one of these O'Doul's thingamabobs.

He gets out and we hand him an O'Douls. He don't even look at it, just unscrews it and starts drinking. We're waiting for him to spit it out, you know, since it tastes so hideously unlike beer. But he doesn't. He keeps sipping it. Eventually we get a little anxious and ask him doesn't the beer taste crappy and he says, no, actually, it's not great but it's pretty good.

And you know something? He was right. This might be Anheuser's best-tasting regular offering. It doesn't pour that great, but it smells like a crisp European pils hopped at medium strength. No adjunct nastiness at all. Tastes about on a par with their discontinued World Lager--kinda like Stella only with a less bitter malt profile. There is a certain emptiness on the backend, where the booziness should be, but it's not nearly as pronounced as I had anticipated.

Yes, it doesn't get you drunk. But aside from that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I guess this whole time I *have* actually been drinking beer mostly because it tastes good! (1,276 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%

Pale yellow with a thin fizzy head that leave no lacing at all.

Nearly foul smelling. Canned corn and white rice smell. Grainy and semi-skunky smelling.

Not putrid, but not good either. Lightly sweet and watered down grain taste. Very bland and unfresh tasting.

Thin and watery. Nothing else to report here.

Definitely not something I want to drink ever again. I would rather have a glass of water than this. (412 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

As the designated driver at a wedding, after a few Saranacs, I switched to NA beer for the evening. I’ve had O’Douls in the past, but this was the first time I’d had it in years. It’s yellow, very clear, and presents a moderate white head. The aroma reminds me of cereal grains and seltzer water. There’s not a lot of flavor, but it tastes similar to an average macro. I’m not a soda drinker, and I wouldn’t mind having this again, if I didn’t have a choice. (466 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +23.9%

O.K., I recently did a scan of which beer styles I have not covered and Low Alcohol was one that I needed to check off the list. Truth be told, I didn't even know they were handled by the site. Anyway, my sister-in-law drinks the stuff and there are sometimes a couple sitting around my house. So for the sake of completing the style list. Here goes.

Finger and a ½ of fluffy white head forms atop a crystal clear light gold beer. Sporadic carbonation quickly escapes to the top of the glass. The head does fade rather quickly to a thin film of foam. No lacing.

Aroma is very light and of grass and light hops.

Have to admit the flavor is better than I would have expected. Just very light. I think I am tasting corn. Some grains at any rate, a light sweetness and almost no hop bitterness.

The body is where there is an issue, really water like and thin. Finishes rather clean though.

Well, its very drinkable as a beverage, but not in the sense of drinkable for a beer. Wanting more, etc.

I can't totally pan this one. (1,027 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +18.8%

This is one my grand dad always had around before his passing. I fondly remember sharing several of these with him just for memeoires sake.

I picked up another simply to cross it off the style list.

A: Pours a light watery piss yellow hue with a fizzy head. No retention or lace to mention.

S: Mild aroma. Light corn and macro malt.

T: Taste is better than some of the other BMC boys. Light corn sweetness, grain, and a touch of salt.

M: Very light in body, with a good zip of carbonation.

D: Nah, not even memories of sharing them with ol grand dad could make this one, one that I would buy again. (605 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Half finger of head. Clear, golden body with a few bubbles coming up.
Smell is a strong metallic and grain.
Taste is metallic with a little bitterness. Nothing really here though.
Crisp texture. Moderate carbonation.
Probably one of the better n/a beers, but then what's the point? (281 characters)

2.77/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz green bottle with twist off cap.

This beer poured a clear yellow color with white foam that settled to a thin coat on the surface of the beer. The smell was not so bad, at least it was beer-like. There was some malt aroma and a touch of sweetness (corn?). The taste was lightly sweet (again, is this brewed with corn?) and a very low malt flavor. These give way to discernible hops at the finish. The mouthfeel was overall dry with very light body and low carbonation. A grain sweetness and faint hops linger in the finish. This was an OK beer for what it is, and if you are going alcohol free, it would be an OK choice. (627 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +19.7%

poured a very pale yellow color with a large head head to start that quickly left. Smell is very grainy with the same maltiness (somewhat unpleasant but possible to get used to) in other low or no alcohol beers. Taste is somewhat sweet and not enjoyable at first, but improves with subsequent tastes. Finishe is wet and kind of refreshing. OK for an NA. (353 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +26.5%

Big full head with gold color. Looks like a typical Am. lager. Mostly sweet water aroma with some tinniness/metalic qualities, with some malt. Taste is non-distinct, yet somehow not excessively watery. Little less of sweet water taste than many. Some metalic tones. Seems a little less thin that many, with a satifactory carbonation. Other than being a N/A, there is nothing terrifically wrong with this. It'll do if a N/A is required, but the European ones are generally better. (479 characters)

2.55/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light! (336 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +12.8%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department. (1,576 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle at a local restaurant when I had to drive a far distance afterwards

For the fake person you know who always pretends to be drunk, play a trick on them with this, because they would throw up before feeling a thing from this one with its ABV below one

Golden color with no head or smell

Did not taste like much of anything

Could drink these all day because it is practically water with some barley thrown in the mix (433 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +38%

Light golden color with sparkling clarity, a small white head, lively streams of carbonation, excellent lace. The appearance is absolutely correct for a light American lager. Solid malt aroma with moderate hop notes. Taste begins with solid grain flavors and much less of the sticky sweetness often found in NA beers, carbonation stings slightly to good effect. The hops that are present in the aroma are largely absent from the taste, save for perhaps a whisper. Finish is clean and dry. The mouth feel is fairly good. Considering that this is a non-alcoholic beer, it’s a remarkably good effort. (598 characters)

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch