O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

rAvg: 2
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev +11.5%

Note to myself: Make sure you have your glasses with you when buying new beers!

I was in Ruby's Inn genreal store after a days hiking in Bryce Canyon picking up some stuff for the evening and grabbed this beer along with a few others, my mistake.

Green 12 oz bottle, poured into two plastic toothbrush holders from our motel room.

To be fair the beer had a lovely foaming head of snow white bubbles. The body was a typical lager clean looking golden straw colour.

That is about the best I can say about the brew, it got steadily worse as the tasting progressed.

I wasn't impressed at all, apart from its initial looks.

BlackHaddock, Jun 05, 2010

imperialking, Jan 08, 2012

InspectorBob, Oct 22, 2013
2.4/5  rDev +20%

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

woodychandler, Feb 19, 2011

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013

stakem, Jun 10, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -25%

wrightst, Jun 02, 2014
1.86/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Pours a clear straw yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint hints of golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of thick film along with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts and hints of some sweetness.

T: Light flavors of cereal grains with some hints of honey sweetness and corn adjuncts. There is something strangely chemically amount the flavor of this beer. Light amounts of bitterness which lingers.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: Not one of my favorite Low Alcohol Beers - the strange chemical/medicinal quality to the taste of the beer is off-putting and I was not a fan of the honey addition. Would not grab another one of these.

dbrauneis, Sep 29, 2013
1.4/5  rDev -30%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Really pretty unpleasant. A relative who doesn't drink alcohol left one of these at my house and I thought I'd review it. Ocassionally I've had one of these when I was on painkillers and couldn't drink. I'd say there were better low to non alcohol beers out there. Pours an extremely yellow color with lots of bubbles but no head. The smell is really awful, like the bottom of a trash can. Rotting vegetables. The taste is just beareable, with lots of corny flavors and a kind of soapiness. The mouthfeel is partly crisp,partly soapy with little body. Just barely drinkable- if you have to. If you are looking for a .5% beer, this will do in a pinch, but try a german or even kaliber for something marginally better. If you merely want a low alcohol beer, try a Berliner kindl weiss at 2.5%

Georgiabeer, Dec 29, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +64%

A six pack for my father in law. It's been staring at me in the fridge, so why not?

A: The beer is pale, like a pale lager or pils. Clear as day, the ale gets points for translucence. A white head conjured up on pour. Where did it go, though? Disappeared crazy fast.

S: Light cereal grains and that's about it. Sweet creamed corn malt aromas follow a little while later.

T: The beer is surprisingly dry. Underneath that dryness, light biscuity malts and caramel are present. The breadiness takes the place of any alcohol. Corn sweetness is late to the party but it makes an appearance. A surprising amount of flavor for not alcohol. It's not my favorite but in a pinch it would work.

M: The mouthfeel is malty clean, sweet at times. A malted drink, water with some heft.

akorsak, Jul 03, 2011

ejimhof, Sep 20, 2013
1.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a clear yellow brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell is just a little grain smell, not good or bad.

Taste is pretty watery and a little sour. No hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel is weak, fizzy water.

Drinkability is watery, better than some NA beers but, not quite as good as a Budweiser.

Zorro, Apr 18, 2004
2.25/5  rDev +12.5%

LXIXME, Mar 21, 2014
2.38/5  rDev +19%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

Mebuzzard, Jun 06, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

Wasatch, Sep 09, 2008
2.99/5  rDev +49.5%

A - clear yellow with a large, thick, dense, white head that has good retention

S - grainy, husk

T - grainy, husk, a bit sweet; very very faint flavor

M - light bodied, well carbonated

For those that are avoiding alcohol but still like to have a beer, I"m glad that there are offerings out there for them. This is probably one of the better ones (small sampling as it is) that I've had. Due to the nature of the style, it is incredibly light and has a very weak flavor profile. There is enough flavor however to give those that choose this style an inkling that they're drinking a beer.

tdm168, Apr 14, 2013
2.17/5  rDev +8.5%

Yellow beer. No head, but loads of carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn, like Iowa, but worse. I might even discern a light hoppiness.

Taste is like bmc, but worse, I dunno where that light hoppiness went in the nose, but it ain't on the tongue, although some residual metallic bitterness is. I can't rate this 'to style', I don't like the style, and the style it is denatured from is a crappy one to boot, so you're getting like a xerox of a crappy xerox (to borrow from duplicity essentially, or was it the Simpsons?). Its not awful, but it doesn't blow me away either. Light body, no alcohol or hops. . . really, what rating could you expect from this?

Only relative value for this, is clearly if you want a real beer, but for whatever reason (legal, emotional, responsible) you can't.

My dad used to have loads of this crap and Sharps. At .99 cent in the singles pile, figured this would be a good weekday beer. Boy was I wrong, it just left me all pissed off afterwards.

Beerandraiderfan, May 09, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle.
Crystal clear, light gold colour with a quickly dissipating cap of white foam. A thin collar is supported by a constant stream of bubbles, seems highly carbonated, and there was a bit of transient lacing. Strong aroma of cooked veggies, very sulfury, quite unpleasant. Low bitterness with a sticky malt sweetness. Not much in the way of flavour beyond sharp mineral notes at the end. Light bodied and dry, watery and thin, with lots of carbonation. I didn't expect much and I wasn't surprised. I don't ever expect to have this again.

DrJay, Jul 17, 2010
2.63/5  rDev +31.5%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems the usual.

Aroma is full of corn, sweet malt and ginger ale. Yep, your substandard n/a beer here.

Taste is mild and grainy with a bit of sweet malt and ginger ale in the back. Just light and watery enough to be inoffensive.

Not much lingers at the back of the throat. Just a bit of sweet malt and grain.

Eh, it's a non-alcoholic beer. What do you expect? It's inoffensive though. You'd pretty much have to drink a 30 pack just to get drunk. If that's your thing, then by all means, do it.

Brad007, Mar 28, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Reviewed from notes

Appearnace: very pale, with a slight yellow tinge, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: faint malts/breadiness, skunky

Taste: bland, watered down, a bit skunked or maybe that's how it actually tastes

Mouthfeel: it had bubbles, while weak, they were there, very light

Drinkability: shared this beer with the Montpellier Domino Club Beer Drinking Pigs; they enjoyed it much more immensely than I!

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 04, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -25%

drummermattie02, May 31, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

chippo33, Dec 21, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -1%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler Pint. 0.5% ABV, Born on date of 16Jun04 (yes, '04...this will be fun!) Thanks to my girlfriend's parents for this "cellared" can. Lol.

A - Crystal clear insanely pale yellow straw. Very effervescent. Lots of bubbles rising up to a surprisingly well-retained two-finger head. Fluffy, white, and increasingly rocky as it drops. Didn't leave any lacing on the glass though.

S - The aroma is an off-putting earthy straw and wet leaf with A LOT of rice. Yuck. It doesn't smell much like beer at all.

T - Rice. It tastes like nothing at all with a teeny splash of rice water. That is the least flavor I have ever experienced in a beer.

M - Thin, watery, and fizzy to the finish, it's the lightest thing with the word beer on the can.

D - With the age on this thing I was expecting to be close to a barf. No joke. But it's not even "bad" per se. It can't be bad when there is nothing there to be bad really. It's totally devoid of any flavor! God damn prohibition must have been awful with legal beer like this.

BeerFMAndy, Oct 19, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +29%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some faint hints of grain. Taste is also grains, a touch of malt, actually more flavor than other beers of this style. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I will be in no rush to have another, it ain't the worst of this style.

tone77, May 27, 2012