O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

rAvg: 2
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev +37.5%

vfgccp, Apr 04, 2014

So begins my quest for a nice N/A....

Clear straw color with a nice white head at first and very active carbonation pretty much throughout. Prominent corn adjunct aroma and flavor but not any more so than the standard A-B offerings. Very light bodied. Crisp and clean and not much different than other alcoholic macros which would make it diff to distinguish blind I would think.

Per label:

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

Lare453, Apr 04, 2013
2.88/5  rDev +44%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is mostly grain with just a touch of hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is light grain and not much else. Clean, crisp and refreshing. Nothing more, nothing less.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- I tried to review this beer for what it is. A light beer with very little alcohol. I was not expecting a huge complex beer or something that would knock my socks off. For what it is, it is a pretty decent brew to knock back a few of them in a sitting without getting a buzz.

cjgator3, Mar 01, 2010
2.15/5  rDev +7.5%

My uncle is undergoing chemotherapy so he can't consume alcohol without getting sick, so we got him some O'Douls in the meantime. It looks just like ginger ale. It's the brightest of yellows with no head but insanely carbonated and bubbly. It doesn't smell too horrible. It's definitely bready with the lightest hoppiness. Other than that it's flat with little else going on. The taste is almost nonexistent but does have slight breadiness in the after taste. It drinks very light and very fresh and crisp. This is drinkable only if you can't go for the real thing.

aasher, Oct 11, 2010

ROGUE16, Nov 16, 2011
2/5  rDev 0%

ZEB89, May 05, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +37.5%

DmanGTR, Feb 10, 2013
2.13/5  rDev +6.5%

I drank this once before I was 21 when a friend of mine was stealing a beer from different 6-packs from his work. For some reason, he grabbed a couple of these and I haven't seen since the other night when I went to drink at my "recovering" alcoholic sister-in-law's house.
clear, yellowish body that has no smell really. Taste is light and airy, a tad sweetness is overpowered by barley and water. This stuff doesn't dry out the mouth, which is good. Then again, that's because there is nothing in here except water and barley. I will take a soda anyday, but I guess I can see why people trying to quit alcohol but still like a cold "beer" here and there will spend money on it.

clayrock81, Feb 12, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +47.5%

Picked up at Julio's so I could check this style off my list. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - A super crystal clear straw pour with a fizzy white two finger head that fades rapidly to leave a thin halo. Lots of bubbles in the glass.

S - Larger aromas. Lots of sweet malts, grains, and corn. Not much else.

T - Pretty much the same. Much sweeter than I figured it would. Sweet malts, some grains and corn. I've had worse surprisingly.

M - Somewhat thin, but I suppose that is to be expected. Its still refreshing though, but then again so is water.

O - Overall, shocked at this beer. I guess if you cant drink beers anymore this doesnt taste all that bad. I've had much worse lagers.

rudzud, Aug 04, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +84%

I have sinned.

My friend was doing 10 days in the pokey for DUI. When he got sprung, I decided to play a cruel joke on him by offering him a beer during the carride home. Only it wouldn't be a beer, see, it'd be one of these O'Doul's thingamabobs.

He gets out and we hand him an O'Douls. He don't even look at it, just unscrews it and starts drinking. We're waiting for him to spit it out, you know, since it tastes so hideously unlike beer. But he doesn't. He keeps sipping it. Eventually we get a little anxious and ask him doesn't the beer taste crappy and he says, no, actually, it's not great but it's pretty good.

And you know something? He was right. This might be Anheuser's best-tasting regular offering. It doesn't pour that great, but it smells like a crisp European pils hopped at medium strength. No adjunct nastiness at all. Tastes about on a par with their discontinued World Lager--kinda like Stella only with a less bitter malt profile. There is a certain emptiness on the backend, where the booziness should be, but it's not nearly as pronounced as I had anticipated.

Yes, it doesn't get you drunk. But aside from that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I guess this whole time I *have* actually been drinking beer mostly because it tastes good!

mynie, Sep 27, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +40%

This is one my grand dad always had around before his passing. I fondly remember sharing several of these with him just for memeoires sake.

I picked up another simply to cross it off the style list.

A: Pours a light watery piss yellow hue with a fizzy head. No retention or lace to mention.

S: Mild aroma. Light corn and macro malt.

T: Taste is better than some of the other BMC boys. Light corn sweetness, grain, and a touch of salt.

M: Very light in body, with a good zip of carbonation.

D: Nah, not even memories of sharing them with ol grand dad could make this one, one that I would buy again.

tpd975, Jul 06, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +45%

O.K., I recently did a scan of which beer styles I have not covered and Low Alcohol was one that I needed to check off the list. Truth be told, I didn't even know they were handled by the site. Anyway, my sister-in-law drinks the stuff and there are sometimes a couple sitting around my house. So for the sake of completing the style list. Here goes.

Finger and a ½ of fluffy white head forms atop a crystal clear light gold beer. Sporadic carbonation quickly escapes to the top of the glass. The head does fade rather quickly to a thin film of foam. No lacing.

Aroma is very light and of grass and light hops.

Have to admit the flavor is better than I would have expected. Just very light. I think I am tasting corn. Some grains at any rate, a light sweetness and almost no hop bitterness.

The body is where there is an issue, really water like and thin. Finishes rather clean though.

Well, its very drinkable as a beverage, but not in the sense of drinkable for a beer. Wanting more, etc.

I can't totally pan this one.

Reagan1984, Jun 28, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -15%

Poured clear yellow with a medium-sized, white cap. Aroma is watery and nearly nonexistent. Reminded me of shredded paper. Flavor is again, very watery with a light, sweet graininess. Body is ridiculously light and the carbonation was spritzy. Hey, if I try it I will review it.

Can.

VelvetExtract, Aug 19, 2014

smartassboiler, May 13, 2013
2.3/5  rDev +15%

As the designated driver at a wedding, after a few Saranacs, I switched to NA beer for the evening. I’ve had O’Douls in the past, but this was the first time I’d had it in years. It’s yellow, very clear, and presents a moderate white head. The aroma reminds me of cereal grains and seltzer water. There’s not a lot of flavor, but it tastes similar to an average macro. I’m not a soda drinker, and I wouldn’t mind having this again, if I didn’t have a choice.

Suds, Jun 27, 2004
2.73/5  rDev +36.5%

12 oz green bottle with twist off cap.

This beer poured a clear yellow color with white foam that settled to a thin coat on the surface of the beer. The smell was not so bad, at least it was beer-like. There was some malt aroma and a touch of sweetness (corn?). The taste was lightly sweet (again, is this brewed with corn?) and a very low malt flavor. These give way to discernible hops at the finish. The mouthfeel was overall dry with very light body and low carbonation. A grain sweetness and faint hops linger in the finish. This was an OK beer for what it is, and if you are going alcohol free, it would be an OK choice.

UncleJimbo, Jul 03, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +41.5%

poured a very pale yellow color with a large head head to start that quickly left. Smell is very grainy with the same maltiness (somewhat unpleasant but possible to get used to) in other low or no alcohol beers. Taste is somewhat sweet and not enjoyable at first, but improves with subsequent tastes. Finishe is wet and kind of refreshing. OK for an NA.

tgbljb, Dec 11, 2005
2/5  rDev 0%

Whiskeydeez, Jul 06, 2014
2.63/5  rDev +31.5%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department.

Metalmonk, Aug 08, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -5%

Pale yellow with a thin fizzy head that leave no lacing at all.

Nearly foul smelling. Canned corn and white rice smell. Grainy and semi-skunky smelling.

Not putrid, but not good either. Lightly sweet and watered down grain taste. Very bland and unfresh tasting.

Thin and watery. Nothing else to report here.

Definitely not something I want to drink ever again. I would rather have a glass of water than this.

jera1350, Aug 03, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

LoveStout, Jun 30, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

DarthKostrizer, Apr 30, 2014
2.55/5  rDev +27.5%

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light!

allengarvin, Mar 27, 2009