Join our email list →

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Low Alcohol Beer | 0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
3.54/5  rDev +58.7%

Received as a gift...

This one pours a brown golden color that is a little too much on the brown side for its own good. There is no head at all, save for a collar no thicker than two or three bubbles.

Smells of lightly toasted wheat bread backed by a dry and crisp snap of ambiguous hops.

Tastes of light grains, like oats and white bread that picks up a dry numbing sting from the CO2 and hops. This transitions over into a light, woody bite with a touch of chrysanthemum and celery. No booze here? Nice!

The body feels bold and dense with a playful buzz of carbonation. Nice.

Not bad at all. Looks dull, but if you're in the mood for slugging a few brews with zero chance of a buzz, this isn't a bad call.

2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

Not a bad effort for a non-acoholic beer. Of course there is some acohol, but not much. Certainly not enough to add any flavor or body overtone. The appearance is not that bad, nor is the malty nose. The flavor is actually BTB, but not by much. An OK offering if you've got to have beer, but can't have the alcohol. But in all honesty, what's the point?

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

sampled out of sheer morbid curiosity (fiancee's father is diabetic).

pale straw yellow in color, white head has sprite-like appearance before it disappears.

aroma is metallic cereal and grain, cut grass or hay, and wierd corny sweetness

taste is similar, yet even more diluted. beer flavored seltzer. like a malto goya but less sweet

razor thin body and diet soda mouthfeel. if you can not drink beer, stick to water, it's better than this.

1.44/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i really don't understand the point of non-alcoholic brew, but i'll try anything, so here goes: actually poured a nicer colour than expected. still piss yellow all the same but slightly deeper than the standard a-b piss yellow. that's the only thing going for this one, which isn't very impressive. the green bottle brought the exoected skunky flavouring, which prevailed over any other tastes here, which were pretty much non-existant save for a slight hint of maltiness every now and again. watery, watery, watery. not very enjoyable. kinda like (bad) beer flavoured seltzer water.

2.94/5  rDev +31.8%

Pours to a thin white head and leaves bits of lace; clear yellow-gold color. Aroma is a welcome blend of noble hops and sweet malt, more like a European lager or a Michelob than a standard American lager. Flavor is mostly carbonated water and slightly grainy/malty with a surprisingly adequate hop balance and a noticeable absence of alcohol warmth and sweetness. It is "dusty" and dry both in flavor and mouthfeel--it does not feel like beer but rather more like club soda or tonic. It is relatively easy to drink and smells/tastes just like a premium U.S. lager at first sip, but the lack of substantial alcohol makes this beer taste less and less like beer and more like something other than beer as you drink it. It is a passable and "safe" alternative for beer when you want something to cool off with or wash down food. It is only 65 calories, so a good choice if you want to eliminate empty calories from your diet. The lack of alcohol is a welcome thing if you are a designated driver or on medication but still want to experience some malt and hops. It serves its purpose well, but it is still not quite the real thing.

2.07/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Enjoyed straight from the bottle at work while watching NFL Playoffs (Stillers!). Brown bottle, seems to be very see-through. Decent amount of carbonation as seen from the bubbles in the bottle.

S: The smell is pretty poor. Wheat, straw, malt. Can't I smell much difference between this and something like Natty Light.

T: Grainy and sweet up front, with a really offensive maltiness on the backend. Really a horrid aftertaste. If it wasn't for the aftertaste I might actually, dare I say this, like it. It just sits on the palate well after the sip has been taken and is very unpleasant.

MF: A little heavier body than I thought it would have, still light, it isn't as crisp. Medium carbonation. Would be very drinkable, again, if it wasn't for that aftertaste.

O: This wasn't all that bad. Do a blind taste test with this and a number of beers like Natty Light and I bet you'd be surprised how close it is.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

So I think, I've never had a non-alcoholic beer, why not..
This actually did pour a respectable color, amber with a white kind of rocky white head. Appearance wise this is far better than most AB products.
Sulfur in the aroma, malty-sweet.
Malty-sweet taste is way too sweet, but does have a beer character. Very light feel, just a touch bitter. Not horrible, I could deal with drinking it. Would work well for a macro drinker. This does come across as beer, more so than say Miller Lite, or Michelob Ultra.
I prefer Goya's Malta soft drink, it's not brewed but made from malt and hops, they just don't add the yeast.

3.83/5  rDev +71.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance : Pours a great white stark fluffy 3 finger head but tides away so quickly it's like watching a shooting star. It diminishes to a small single ring and leaves no lace on the sides of the beer-clean class. The body is pale blonde color, mostly straw, with crystal transparency.

Aroma : Barley malts, rice, some slight roasted grain, a hint of mustiness, and a faint pinch of hop trailing behind. It's a very impressive nose for a near-beer.

Flavor : Again, for a near-beer this is far above par. Though washed out, all of the proper flavors are there - musty roasted malts, barley, rice, and yes, even a sting of hop. The vegetal character mostly present in near-beers is kept to a bare minimum here, it's on a detectable level but not on a perceptible level.

Feel : The feel stings the mouth pleasurably, not with carbonation so much (although it's there), but with the hop character and lightly burnt malts. It ends pasty on the tongue, parching the palate.

Overall : Of course this isn't going to be a real replacement for any beer unless health reasons dictate, but so far this is about the king of near-beers. My high rating reflects that. If you HAVE to drink a near-beer, O'Douls gets the thumbs up from me.

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%

Snagged a botte the other day because it was a dollar for the single and I thought it was a great idea. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a fizzy white head that settles quickly. Lots of visible carbonation.

Standard BMC lager aroma here. Corn and that beer aroma that you would associate with the big guys. So well all know how adjunct lagers kind of suck by nature. And how light lagers tend to suck even more by nature. Just make those suck a lot more and this is what you've got. Flavorless swill is all I'm drinking right now. There is a very faint sweet corn flavor and it's a little bitter to the end but this is just no thrills at all.

Standard feel here. Light body with lots of carbonation. The problem is I can taste it when it's in my mouth.

Seriously, I want my dollar back.

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%

A - To start, it looks decent for a lighter brew. The head is bright white and fast to fade. The body is a crisp, clear gold color with allot of bubbles. Once the head is gone it doen't look like much.

S - The smell is not good. It has a musty soap scent that does not sit well with a beer I'd care to drink.

T - Relative to the smell the flavor isn't half bad. It has a crisp malt taste that gives it an edge.

M - The feel is light to begin but toward the middle it starts to get some coarse character. I think the texture actually helps this beer a bit by bringing out the malt flavor.

~ I don't think this is a brew I'd care to sample much more than this one time. I feel sorry for my beautiful wife that she has to endure this as a beer-staple for the next five and half months due to our expecting a baby in late March. This is a true sacrifice.

2.34/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: From the can, it looks like yellow carbonated water.

Smell: Corn. Water.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is ok. Basically soda water with a sweet corn taste. Not smooth due to carbonation.

Drinkability: Carbonated water can be hard to drink, and this is not much different.

Overall: A perfect beer to get drunk on...cough cough.

3.52/5  rDev +57.8%

Presentation: 12oz green screw top bottle

Appearance: Light/medium gold beer with decent carbonation and a stark white head that soon falls to a thick film

Smell: Very light; cereal grains and actually a tiny bit of hop grassiness in here; a bit sweet for me, but pretty decent actually, esp for a NA beer

Taste: Very light; a touch of grain, medium sweetness, a light metallic twang, and the slightest hop bitterness...it's a bit overly sweet/sugary, but again, for what it is, this isn't any worse than some of the macro lagers I used to drink

Mouthfeel: Ultra light

Drinkability: Highly Quaffable

Conclusion: What began (and failed, after about a month) as a Lenten exercise has now led me to drink NA beer a couple of nights during the week to save calories and money; they are what they are, I'm not going to argue that NA beers are super tasty or anything because even the best are mediocre by normal standards; that being said, this and Busch NA are about the only ones worth drinking.

2.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Someone left this at my house so I figure I'll try it. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, coded bottle date. This pours a clear light yellow straw like color with a short lived fizzy large bubbled foamy head which different than most beers. The smells are of adjuncts, no real hop presence. The feel is thin and fizzy. The taste is okay for what it is, not my type of beer but it could be worse, like most other popular beers.

1.5/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle. 0.5% abv.

Clear, light gold color. Head looks like styrofoam and leaves nothing on the glass. I grew up on a farm in small-town Iowa..along with the usual raccoons, possums, and other pests..I have shot & killed plenty of skunks in my day. This beer brings me back in time.. while the skunk smell slowly fades, it turns into a mostly grainy, bland, corn-husk aroma. The taste is fairly clean, while succeeding in having almost no flavor whatsoever. Like water with beer flavoring...I struggle to drink this before it gets any warmer.

I question why anyone would actually purchase this product (and admittedly, I've never understood the point of N/A beer). If you're the designated driver, then drink fruit juice, pop, water...anything...i mean, why this? Luckily, this one was free.

2.75/5  rDev +23.3%

Why? Oh that's right, a picnic at the beach with non-drinkers? Whatever!

From the 12fl.oz. can and into the plastic tumbler pours a very pale gold with a 1/4 inch white cap that settles to 1/8 inch and leaves little lacing. Carbonation looks good, almost resembles beer...

The smell is malt and wheat and almost a bit of hop in there somewhere. Smells like beer. Doesn't smell sweet either which is kind of refreshing.

Tastes of feathery light malt with very little sweetness and finishes clean and crisp with a nice balance, no unpleasant aftertaste at all. It even actually tastes like beer.

Ultra light body with a pleasant watery mouthfeel, the carbonation keeps the stuff alive and somewhat refreshing.

If your stuck with a non-alcoholic barley-pop situation, this isn't a bad way to go...right up there with St. Pauligirl NA. I wouldn't wish that upon you however!

1.45/5  rDev -35%

There simply isn't much to be said about this low alcohol beer... It's as clear as it gets, as pale as it gets. No other nose than boring cereals, carbonated water taste with an unpleasant aftertaste This is foul, devoided of taste, perhaps one of the less tasty beers I've ever had. Must avoid.

2.74/5  rDev +22.9%

O'doul's pours a clear light straw with no head. The aroma is light and grainy with some hints of cooked corn. The flavor is thin and watery, with some grainy malt flavor. This is my first low alcohol beer, and overall I am not impressed, but if you told me this was light beer, I would probably believe you.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Glad to find a single of this at Total Wine for $0.99 so I could finally try an NA beer.

A - Looks pretty much like any American lager/light lager. A finger or less of head recedes quickly to nothing, and leaves some very minimal lace. Pale yellow and completely clear.

S - There's actually a discernable grain aroma with some old, vague hops.

T - Bland grain with a slight sweetness. Finishes clean and flavorless.

M - Quick prickly carbonation that fades almost instantly. Watery, thin.

D - This actually isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Of course there are other things, but for a non-beer beer, it's not half bad.

1.13/5  rDev -49.3%

Originally reviewed on September 24, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Barely yellow pour, with a huge head of white. Greasy skank aroma. I’ve drank water with more flavor. Can I give this negative flavor points? I’ll give it a 2, because it’s not entirely offensive. Finish hurts though, with stinging corn fusels. Damn glad to get this style out of the way.

1.77/5  rDev -20.6%

I figured it was around time to review a N/A beer. Had this at my girlfriends family Halloween party. Not sure if any of them actually enjoy this, or if someone is an alcoholic...

Yes, I poured this into a can, and yes my girlfriends family thought I was insane. Color is piss water, and not piss water after you've been backpacking all day and your dehydrated, piss water after a long night of drinking...yea...the clear kind. This is more clear than it is yellow. Actually does have some head to it, with sad - but noticeable retention. I actually see a tiny bit of lacing.

The nose is very grainy. I think...possibly...I can detect some sort of hop addition here. Maybe not, maybe I'm smelling the person next to me's beer. This is almost like Miller Lite, in that it "smells like real beer." That line cracks me up.

The taste is uber light, watered down, what have you. Very grainy (comparitively speaking) with a light hop-like flavor. Thats about it, nothing to talk about.

Mouthfeel is light, no kidding. A reasonably high carbonation leads to a crisp bite in the mouthfeel, and it finishes clean. This is definitely drinkable, but I don't know that I could ever drink this often.

I see this beers better qualities. It does have some flavor, and it does do some characteristics good. I can't imagine it's easy (but I really don't know so I could be wrong) to make a N/A beer. I see this brew for what it is. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Extremely watery. No detectable aroma. No hop taste. Tastes like tonic water with a metallic twinge. They must've done something to increase the flavor in this NA as it has at least a semblance of taste whereas it didn't a few years ago. Very drinkable (due to watery nature). Not as good as the Amber version.

1.38/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

When I poured this beer into my glass, it poured a large white creamy head with small-medium sized bubbles.The body was clear with carbonation and the hue was yellow.There was good lacing with this beer.The flavor was relatively smooth and the mouthfeel was watery and thin.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a light fizzy yellow color w/ a sliver of a white head. Looks like soda to me. Nose is corn, grain, and malt. Very weak, and really not much there. Taste is mainly grain, with weak malt. Very weak, and fairly horrid. Feel is undercarbonated, fizzy and horrible aftertaste. Ugh. Overall, I wouldn't recommend anyone try this, unless you enjoy the style.

1.8/5  rDev -19.3%

12 ounce can poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a light, very light, pale yellow with a white head, no head retention, lots of carbonation, no lacing, very clear, lightest and clearest looking beer I've ever seen.

A: Sweet corn, malts, very light, hint of honey, overall very bland aroma.

T: Sweet corn, malts, horrible aftertaste of cardboard, very little flavor, I'd rather be sober than drink this and be sober.

M: Light bodied, easy drinking, but no enjoyable.

O: Not worth it, if I am going to be sober I would avoid this. I have no idea why anyone would want to drink this it's like a light adjunct lager that is really light.

2.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yes, like most BAers, I'm only reviewing this near-beer in order to see how many styles I can review here. I was surprised to see such a high score from the Brothers so I'm hopeful despite the average being D-. I'm hoping that's because most people do not review to the style and the Brothers do.

The appearance is yellow and fizzy, just like it's more alcoholic cousin, yet it doesn't hold its head up for too long. Otherwise, it's crystal clear and a straw color.

I've smelled worse full octane beers. This is one has got crystal malts and flowery hops coming through with some sense of sweet corn. The taste is pretty similar with the advent of a slightly fruity component, perhaps crab apple. I'd expect the mouthfeel to be very dry and it is to some point, but there's a bitter twinge at the end that makes me grimace a little.

Okay, not too bad for a near beer and better than many full ABV cousins. I still see no point in these creations. I am one who drinks beer for its taste, while many NASCAR beer drinkers do so to fit in or to get a buzz. Getting that buzz relaxes them and allows them to fit in better. Note: I did say "most". I do realize some people like the taste of the beers advertised on stock cars. Everyone has their own taste.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch