O'Doul's | Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Reviews: 168 | Ratings: 545
2.57/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Gold in color with brilliant clarity and a fingernail of eggshell white on top. Aroma is of faint corn. I taste corn and faint Hallertau hops. The mouth is very watery and limp.

2.22/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pale straw yellow beer, good clarity, lots of water, almost no head, 1/6" range stuff that quickly vanishes. Aroma was grain, corn.

Taste came across similar to the usual bmc stuff but the same amount of noble hop impact. Still has the bitterness derived from metal seemingly. Its not awful stuff, but I'd rather just have a soda or a gatorade if I can't drink alcohol. Or you know, water.

2.68/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12 oz can into 12 oz pilsner glass. Almost had a foam-over problem but it's an O'Doul's, there isn't much of a head to begin with. Pours a clear straw color with, depending how you pour it, a half a finger thick. Very bubbly.
Smells of weak adjunct (corn) and barley. Like a very weak Budweiser, which makes sense.
Tastes of malt and again, weak adjunct. Once again, really weak Budweiser.
Mouthful is a tad thicker than water, but very drinkable.
Overall, I'd take this over a Bud Light any day. Refreshing and decent for when you don't want the alcohol.

2.74/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass. L: clear, dark straw. Decent carbonation. Big fizzy head fades very quick to a small ring. S: surprisingly nice malt notes. Brown bread toast. T: not too good. The malt does not translate. Water and bland grains. F: decent body and dryness. No alcohol, affects feel and crispness. O: ok, if you can't drink an alcoholic beer, but want to look like you are.

1.8/5  rDev -19.3%

12 ounce can poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a light, very light, pale yellow with a white head, no head retention, lots of carbonation, no lacing, very clear, lightest and clearest looking beer I've ever seen.

A: Sweet corn, malts, very light, hint of honey, overall very bland aroma.

T: Sweet corn, malts, horrible aftertaste of cardboard, very little flavor, I'd rather be sober than drink this and be sober.

M: Light bodied, easy drinking, but no enjoyable.

O: Not worth it, if I am going to be sober I would avoid this. I have no idea why anyone would want to drink this it's like a light adjunct lager that is really light.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Appearance: clear pale straw with a quickly dissipating white head.
Aroma: lighter than standard macro lagers
Mouthfeel: light and fairly crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: somewhat like real beer but a definite mineral water aspect.
Overall: I have had it a few times when offered it at a gathering, but not something I would seek out.

1.86/5  rDev -16.6%

Takes me back to my teenage drinking years... Which wasn't much. From inexperience of the time, what a waste. Never drank after that one night & never will try again.

1.38/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Wife bought these while pregnant. Didn't finish them while pregnant. Now it's been in our fridge for a year. What the hell, lets give it a go. Terrible!

If I wanted beer but couldn't have alcohol, this is not what to drink. I can't think of any real reason to drink this other than to make sure that your instincts about it are correct.

1.21/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This was given to me by a friend. I never pass up free beer (alcohol or not) so I obliged.

Oh man. Ohhhhhh man. This is revolting. At least with adjunct beers you can get a buzz after a while, but this? This is just hell. I actually got a headache from drinking this.

I expected a fair amount of "skunk" but there simply wasn't any. There wasn't anything. It was just flat, beer flavored ginger ale.

Gross.

3.83/5  rDev +71.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance : Pours a great white stark fluffy 3 finger head but tides away so quickly it's like watching a shooting star. It diminishes to a small single ring and leaves no lace on the sides of the beer-clean class. The body is pale blonde color, mostly straw, with crystal transparency.

Aroma : Barley malts, rice, some slight roasted grain, a hint of mustiness, and a faint pinch of hop trailing behind. It's a very impressive nose for a near-beer.

Flavor : Again, for a near-beer this is far above par. Though washed out, all of the proper flavors are there - musty roasted malts, barley, rice, and yes, even a sting of hop. The vegetal character mostly present in near-beers is kept to a bare minimum here, it's on a detectable level but not on a perceptible level.

Feel : The feel stings the mouth pleasurably, not with carbonation so much (although it's there), but with the hop character and lightly burnt malts. It ends pasty on the tongue, parching the palate.

Overall : Of course this isn't going to be a real replacement for any beer unless health reasons dictate, but so far this is about the king of near-beers. My high rating reflects that. If you HAVE to drink a near-beer, O'Douls gets the thumbs up from me.

3.89/5  rDev +74.4%

I've tried a few United Statesian NA brews -- Busch NA, Sharp's, and this, so far -- and this is definitely the best of that lot.

It almost, but not quite, smells, feels, and tastes like a real beer. it won't fool anyone into thinking it's the real thing, but if you have to go NA and don't want to pay a buttload for a really good NA, this is not the worst choice you could make.

in case you're wondering about my curiously-high score, well, I'm rating this as an NA brew, not against real beers.

1.58/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I can't believe I'm drinking this, let alone giving it a rating. I have been banned from alcohol due to medications. I can have one beer per day however. Anyway I thought this was a way to cheat and at least pretend I am drinking real beer.

A light pour with a head that dissipates quickly. A good amount of carbonation releasing from the bottom. Kind of tinny after-taste which disappears after a few sips. The head re-appears after some prompting, as it should. Not many flavors to report... maybe a slight sweetness with a semi-dry finish.

1.85/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Pale golden, with nice head of off-white suds that dissipates quickly. Almost no trace of lace, oddly.

Aroma: Creamed corn. malts, typical American Adjunct Lager. Blah.

Taste: Malty, grainy, sweet with virtually no detectable trace of any hops at all. Not offensive, per se, but gives definition to the descriptive term given to me by a friend from Germany, “beer-flavored water”. Absolutely no character or taste. Not a winner.

3.81/5  rDev +70.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden color with head that thins to almost nothing. Smells is sweet corn and a little skunks. Goes down smooth. Taste is sweet. Not much like a adjunct lager. For a non-alcoholic this is pretty good. Much better than Miller 64 and Bud Select 55. And better than most macros of there.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- non-existent
Appearance- Almost looks like a pale beer
Taste- Water with some barley dipped in it
Palate- mildly carbonated, with a watery feel
Overall- Better than Coors NA, but that is not saying a lot.

I guess this product is supposed to satisfy the taste of a cheap American brew? It is horrible to the point that I couldn't even finish it! I know... You are probably asking why I would even indulge in this beverage??? Well... ? But I know I had the disadvantage of pouring this product into my glass for one reason or another. It isn't even for the lack of alcohol, the taste is just plain bland and unpleasant. I guess if you're looking for a substitute of a cheap horrible brew, this works? Anywhooooo ... Avoid this!

1.7/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured clear yellow with a medium-sized, white cap. Aroma is watery and nearly nonexistent. Reminded me of shredded paper. Flavor is again, very watery with a light, sweet graininess. Body is ridiculously light and the carbonation was spritzy. Hey, if I try it I will review it.

Can.

Bottle at around 35 degrees into a frosted glass at Outback
Aroma – smells like a lager
Head average (3 cm), white, fizzy, quickly diminishing to nothing
Lacing – none
Body light yellow, clear
Flavor – not much, just a hint of dimethylsulfide; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, aggressive carbonation

Overall, better than I expected. The aroma was the high light of this tasting experience. The flavor and the appearance were passable but a little diacetyl would have helped.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

tried it out of the can not so good. could not even finish it. would not recommend this. if you are looking for a NA beer St. Pauli NA ok but I like heavy beers like KaliberI wish they would make a NA beer. Kaliber is made by Kaliber should be a good beer. Malta is a good NA beer is has many good reviews.

1.35/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours clear pale yellow, with a small white head which has fair retention and leaves spotty lacing.the aroma has some grain and not much else. Very bland.

Tastes slightly sweet with some grain and not much else. I didn't expect much, but O'Doul's found a way to deliver even less. Beyond bland.

Extremely light bodied with average carbonation. I can't say this beer is horrible because of bad taste. It is horrible because it has no taste. I was curious to try this once and now I know. I will avoid in the future.

1.88/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Pours a clear straw yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint hints of golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of thick film along with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts and hints of some sweetness.

T: Light flavors of cereal grains with some hints of honey sweetness and corn adjuncts. There is something strangely chemically amount the flavor of this beer. Light amounts of bitterness which lingers.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: Not one of my favorite Low Alcohol Beers - the strange chemical/medicinal quality to the taste of the beer is off-putting and I was not a fan of the honey addition. Would not grab another one of these.

3.3/5  rDev +48%

This was my only option when deployed and has a special place in my memory. Although not a primary choice for beer because of the lack of alcohol, I would recommend for any designated driver or for a fish and chips lunch when alcohol consumption is not an option.

3.01/5  rDev +35%

A - clear yellow with a large, thick, dense, white head that has good retention

S - grainy, husk

T - grainy, husk, a bit sweet; very very faint flavor

M - light bodied, well carbonated

For those that are avoiding alcohol but still like to have a beer, I"m glad that there are offerings out there for them. This is probably one of the better ones (small sampling as it is) that I've had. Due to the nature of the style, it is incredibly light and has a very weak flavor profile. There is enough flavor however to give those that choose this style an inkling that they're drinking a beer.

1.1/5  rDev -50.7%

I'm still confused as to who drinks this and why. I actually remember seeing a pregnant lady drinking one of these. Is that safe? I still don't know the answer.

There is nothing to like or dislike about this beer.

What beer drinkers drink when their not drinkin' beer.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch