O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 492 | Reviews: 167
2.24/5  rDev +12.6%

This is how I am marking the #500 milestone in reviews :P The opportunity to try a bottle was there, and I figured it was as good a time as any to give it a shot!

A: Pale yellow, though not as light as some others I have come across. It almost looks like it might have some colouring added, as it doesn't seem all that natural in a strange way. A notable finger-high head resting on top with a reasonable retention and an actual trimming of lace that was unexpected.

S: Quite a strong aroma, considering. Quite vegetal, with a fairly notable scent of corn husks and a grain scent - a smell that always reminds me of big bags of puffed wheat or ricecakes. Not really an aroma I have a whole lot of love for, honestly.

T: A very notable rice flavouring - again, very much like ricecakes. Fortunately, I enjoy those, so that's not too offensive. There's a soft, sweet taste to it, which makes it alright. It's not something I can't tolerate, and it's not devoid of flavour which I think, in some cases, is the greater crime.

M + D: It could ease up on the carbonation a little, though it does have a fairly decent density in the body - only in beer do I ever like my bodies 'dense.' It's a reasonable shot, though the rice aromas and flavours seem to be a bit of a move in the wrong direction when trying to reproduce the 'flavours of beer' without the alcohol content. Drinking something that hopes to reproduce such a flavour when not wanting alcohol always seems like a rather unusual idea, too, but that's just me. It was ultimately drinkable, and I wouldn't pour it down the toilet by any means. I just don't see myself going after it again any time soon.

2.5/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

2.36/5  rDev +18.6%

I admit I was always curious about what a NA beer tasted like, but I only picked this up at my Dad's request. Comes in a green bottle and pours like golden and thin with minimal head like so many of the classics. Very drinkable and similar in taste to some of the classics as well, except for one detail...the smell. This is the stinkiest beer I've ever had. As soon as I twisted off the cap the smell actually came and found me. I've heard of certain beers smelling "skunky", but this one is the first I've had that perfectly fits that description. Even some of the aftertaste is skunk and if you dare belch, more skunk. Other than the smell, it goes down very easy, but why shouldn't it? There's nothing in it but bubbles. If you're in the market for a NA beer, try to sample them in small quantities before committing to a sixer. I believe Coors and Busch offer one.

2.45/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Glad to find a single of this at Total Wine for $0.99 so I could finally try an NA beer.

A - Looks pretty much like any American lager/light lager. A finger or less of head recedes quickly to nothing, and leaves some very minimal lace. Pale yellow and completely clear.

S - There's actually a discernable grain aroma with some old, vague hops.

T - Bland grain with a slight sweetness. Finishes clean and flavorless.

M - Quick prickly carbonation that fades almost instantly. Watery, thin.

D - This actually isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Of course there are other things, but for a non-beer beer, it's not half bad.

1.11/5  rDev -44.2%

Grabbed one from my buddies fridge as I was walking out the door one early morning. He bought it for his pregnant wife, but she thought it was nasty so it sat there in the back of his fridge. "What a great opportunity to be able to check off this category without wasting any money" I thought to myself so here I am drinking what is in essence a decent looking N/A brew that contains no taste and aroma. Pours a golden yellow color with intense carbonation and a frothy head that lasts. The appearance is very nice, better than Bud, Busch, and their light cousins. Aroma is non-existent the only scent I can muster is cardboard. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy but that's about it. The flavor is also absent from this one. Overall a weak beer, but I wasn't expecting anything special.

2.1/5  rDev +5.5%

Smells strongly of stale grain and rice, like a box of breakfast cereal. It pours to a large, frothy, slightly dingy head, which dissipates quickly. And the taste of the stuff is watery and dull, with only a hint of grain flavor.

That said, I've had worse. O'Doul's is not a complete disaster -- I would never drink it voluntarily, but it compares favorably to some mass-market light-beers and macro lagers.

1.43/5  rDev -28.1%

This was my first and only non alcoholic beer ever. I just can't justify this over water. It looks ok with a yellow color and faint tan head. Neither the nose or taste are anything worth while. Bland bitter grains. The body is light and fizzy like soda. I really will never drink this again.

1.13/5  rDev -43.2%

Surprised that the ABV is that high, actually.

Pours a clear looking yellow. Foamy, sudsy head. No real smell to speak of, just a whiff of vegetable and ... I don't know what.

Taste has some malt sweetness, but it's too sugary. Nothing else there in this watery, bland, horrid substance.

Not beer.

2.1/5  rDev +5.5%

I drank this once before I was 21 when a friend of mine was stealing a beer from different 6-packs from his work. For some reason, he grabbed a couple of these and I haven't seen since the other night when I went to drink at my "recovering" alcoholic sister-in-law's house.
clear, yellowish body that has no smell really. Taste is light and airy, a tad sweetness is overpowered by barley and water. This stuff doesn't dry out the mouth, which is good. Then again, that's because there is nothing in here except water and barley. I will take a soda anyday, but I guess I can see why people trying to quit alcohol but still like a cold "beer" here and there will spend money on it.

1.22/5  rDev -38.7%

12 oz. glass bottle- color of pale yellow, with a light white head - nose of skunk, corn, slight banana, but barely smells like anything resembling a “beer” - taste of sweet white corn, some bitterness, and bubble gum- no body super watery, and with light carbonation – aftertaste of slightly bitter, and candy

1.89/5  rDev -5%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a pale yellow, looks like a typical macro lager, but it's got a really nice head initially, but by the end of the glass, it retreats to nothing.

S: Very light, faint smell of malt and hops, though skunk is the predominate smell.

T: Very light, like the smell, some faint malt taste and corn, but that is it.

M: Light, like water almost, with some carbonation, has a bit of a beer body.

D: Good if you want a beer but don't want the alcohol, easy to drink, since it is basically nothing more than malt-flavoured soda water, but I usually want something with a little more body and flavour.

2.6/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle at a local restaurant when I had to drive a far distance afterwards

For the fake person you know who always pretends to be drunk, play a trick on them with this, because they would throw up before feeling a thing from this one with its ABV below one

Golden color with no head or smell

Did not taste like much of anything

Could drink these all day because it is practically water with some barley thrown in the mix

1.95/5  rDev -2%

This malt beverage pours with a slight tawny colored head, and crisp aroma. It has a light amber color and good carbonation. It has a light malty taste, with a slight hint of caramel without the bite of alcoholic beer. However, it does not have the full-bodied, robust flavor of alcoholic beer, which results in a somewhat weak flavor as compared to alcoholic beer.

2.94/5  rDev +47.7%

Pours to a thin white head and leaves bits of lace; clear yellow-gold color. Aroma is a welcome blend of noble hops and sweet malt, more like a European lager or a Michelob than a standard American lager. Flavor is mostly carbonated water and slightly grainy/malty with a surprisingly adequate hop balance and a noticeable absence of alcohol warmth and sweetness. It is "dusty" and dry both in flavor and mouthfeel--it does not feel like beer but rather more like club soda or tonic. It is relatively easy to drink and smells/tastes just like a premium U.S. lager at first sip, but the lack of substantial alcohol makes this beer taste less and less like beer and more like something other than beer as you drink it. It is a passable and "safe" alternative for beer when you want something to cool off with or wash down food. It is only 65 calories, so a good choice if you want to eliminate empty calories from your diet. The lack of alcohol is a welcome thing if you are a designated driver or on medication but still want to experience some malt and hops. It serves its purpose well, but it is still not quite the real thing.

2.05/5  rDev +3%

A - Yellow and bubbly, clear and watery looking. Looks like any old macro lager to me.

S - Not much to the nose. Maybe a little waft of hops on top of a lot of ricey notes.

T - Much more full flavored than I expected , but still pretty weak. Tangy hop-like approximations of flavor really aren't that bad. I taste loads of rice, and some quinine-like tonic flavors.

M - Ultra-fizzy carbonation adds bite and crispness, and the light body is really soda-like.

D - Not as bad as I thought it would be. It's by no means good, but this is actually better than Michelob Ultra or Bud Select, and those actually have booze in them. Not a bad choice when you can't drink beer...it's better than soda!

1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

Come on... COME ON! Why am I even reviewing this? I bought a six pack for my pregnant wife because she missed her beer so much. I figured, "what the hell" I may as well see what it tastes like so I drank one. Geez. I would describe it as a potion of 78% Bud Light and 22% water. It's more watered down than any light beer I've ever had. Natural Light could kick this "beer's" ass.

In all fairness, though, it IS a nonalcoholic beer. It would be like buying a Yugoslavian compact car and expecting Corvette performance. I guess it fulfills it's purpose. If you're a pregnant woman with no other option, a raging recovering drunk, or a tutu-wearing fourth-grade girl.... This is the beer for you.

2.09/5  rDev +5%

What an odd experience- this NA beer is absolutly the cleanest going down the throat of any beer I've had. There is no bite, like a old dog without his dentures. The smell is of light bread, and the taste is slightly corny, but also slightly bready, almost as if they had soaked Wonderbread in water and then bottled it.

2.15/5  rDev +8%

a:straw yellow color with eigth inch of white head that dissapears fast and leaves very little lace
s: corn and adjunct malts not really any hop presence
t: really sweet kinda funky, no real detectable flavors
m: light bodied beer with average amount of carbonation

overall, i couldnt see drinking another of these, i thought i would try it though since my buddy offered

1.23/5  rDev -38.2%

wow. i should have ordered a diet coke or ice water or dirty dish water...poured not bad. little head was quickly gone. smell was kinda odd but not much to smell. the taste - gawdalfull! man i will never have this again.

i dont do LA or NA so tis my own fault for having this one. and to think i had to pay for it!!!

blah!

giblet

1.66/5  rDev -16.6%

Appearance - Pale clear yellow. Short soapy white head that dissipates quickly. A little flat looking, but otherwise appears to conform to standard.

Smell - Mildly offensive. (Possibly skunked, but all of the O'Doul's I've had have the same odor.) Not really a beer odor. Maybe some lemony hops.

Taste - Not nearly as bad as it smells. Very light. Malt flavors are practically undetectable. Just the slightest taste of citrusy hops at the finish. Comperable to a squeeze of lemon juice in a carbonated water. Not exactly disgusting, but this could be much better.

Mouthfeel - Very light, watery. Carbonated bite. Appears pretty standard.

Drinkability - The style is insipid and the beer is nothing special. I guess one could drink this if one had to, but I don't.

2.3/5  rDev +15.6%

so i'm giving up beer for lent and figured i'd give a NA a try. i've never had an urge to try one of these brews but i figured what the hell. it looks like a regular macro lager and it actually smells better than most. as far as ab products go this one is definitly one of their better smelling. definite hop aroma and no skunk. the taste is similar to a regular macro lager but it almost seems seltzer like to me. i think it actually tastes like seltzer and beer mixed together with alcohol removed. not horrible but not great...i'll give some other NA's a try and see how this compares, but for right now i guess it'll suffice

3.62/5  rDev +81.9%

Poured a nice frothy head, which briefly sat on the clear pale yellow beer-stuff before dissapating.

I can honestly say there are malt and hop elements to this brew, more so that many a macro. Lightly sweet and grainy, with a slight hoppy crispness.

Yeah, these NA brews tend to be a little watery, but I don't think this one is worse than the rest of the group. They are easy to drink, maybe a little too easy, because if you are buying at the bar or restaurant because you are driving, they aren't cheap. Spent 7 bucks on two of them last night.

1.38/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Really pretty unpleasant. A relative who doesn't drink alcohol left one of these at my house and I thought I'd review it. Ocassionally I've had one of these when I was on painkillers and couldn't drink. I'd say there were better low to non alcohol beers out there. Pours an extremely yellow color with lots of bubbles but no head. The smell is really awful, like the bottom of a trash can. Rotting vegetables. The taste is just beareable, with lots of corny flavors and a kind of soapiness. The mouthfeel is partly crisp,partly soapy with little body. Just barely drinkable- if you have to. If you are looking for a .5% beer, this will do in a pinch, but try a german or even kaliber for something marginally better. If you merely want a low alcohol beer, try a Berliner kindl weiss at 2.5%

1.13/5  rDev -43.2%

Originally reviewed on September 24, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Barely yellow pour, with a huge head of white. Greasy skank aroma. I’ve drank water with more flavor. Can I give this negative flavor points? I’ll give it a 2, because it’s not entirely offensive. Finish hurts though, with stinging corn fusels. Damn glad to get this style out of the way.

2.87/5  rDev +44.2%

O'Doul's Amber won the last Low Alcohol Beer comparison that I did. Let's see how plain ol' O'Doul's does in NA Shootout (With Blanks) III. The competition today will be Bitburger Drive, a German offering that trouces it in the BA style rankings. Will it be a titanic struggle reminiscent of WW II or will it be a pathetic bout between two scared little girls? I'm betting on the latter, but let's see how things shake out.

Pale amber. The colors are virtually identical, with this beer perhaps being a quarter shade lighter when held up to my sunlit front window. An average amount of visible carbonation leads up to a white cap of somewhat stiff, nearly featureless foam that hangs around for a while. It's a decent look.

The nose is actually semi-pleasant. There isn't much there except lightly toasted grain, but then there doesn't need to be. The very fact that there's almost none of the nastiness that is rampant in the noses of most low alcohol beer is a major victory. A clear win for the Yank.

O'Doul's might just be the best NA beer that I've ever had. It doesn't taste anything at all like good beer, but it does taste like what I expected good beer of this style to taste like. I've been disappointed that none, until now, have measured up. To be short and to the point, it tastes like barley flavored water. Again, to some that might be a ghastly sounding description, but with little or no alcohol involved, nothing better than that will ever be possible.

The mouthfeels are both light and borderline watery. The only difference is in the amount of carbonation. Despite the fact that this beer had more visible carbonation right after the pour, it's more subdued in the mouth at this point in time. I'm thinking identical scores here.

I don't know whether it'll be reflected in the score of not, but I think that O'Doul's is the best low alcohol beer that I've ever had. It's certainly the least offensive, and that's all that really matters when it comes to the impossible task of brewing good beer while leaving out one of its essential ingredients. Anheuser-Busch should be proud. They now have two NA Shootout (With Blanks) trophies to grace their corporate mantlepiece.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch