O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 492 | Reviews: 167
2.7/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yes, like most BAers, I'm only reviewing this near-beer in order to see how many styles I can review here. I was surprised to see such a high score from the Brothers so I'm hopeful despite the average being D-. I'm hoping that's because most people do not review to the style and the Brothers do.

The appearance is yellow and fizzy, just like it's more alcoholic cousin, yet it doesn't hold its head up for too long. Otherwise, it's crystal clear and a straw color.

I've smelled worse full octane beers. This is one has got crystal malts and flowery hops coming through with some sense of sweet corn. The taste is pretty similar with the advent of a slightly fruity component, perhaps crab apple. I'd expect the mouthfeel to be very dry and it is to some point, but there's a bitter twinge at the end that makes me grimace a little.

Okay, not too bad for a near beer and better than many full ABV cousins. I still see no point in these creations. I am one who drinks beer for its taste, while many NASCAR beer drinkers do so to fit in or to get a buzz. Getting that buzz relaxes them and allows them to fit in better. Note: I did say "most". I do realize some people like the taste of the beers advertised on stock cars. Everyone has their own taste.

1.83/5  rDev -8%

Snagged a botte the other day because it was a dollar for the single and I thought it was a great idea. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a fizzy white head that settles quickly. Lots of visible carbonation.

Standard BMC lager aroma here. Corn and that beer aroma that you would associate with the big guys. So well all know how adjunct lagers kind of suck by nature. And how light lagers tend to suck even more by nature. Just make those suck a lot more and this is what you've got. Flavorless swill is all I'm drinking right now. There is a very faint sweet corn flavor and it's a little bitter to the end but this is just no thrills at all.

Standard feel here. Light body with lots of carbonation. The problem is I can taste it when it's in my mouth.

Seriously, I want my dollar back.

2.95/5  rDev +48.2%

Light golden straw color. Seems to be very carbonated. Foamy white head with moderated retention. Smell is very grainy. Lots of corn and straw and a bit metallic. Taste like a cheap mass produced beer. Actually this taste better than some other alcoholic BMC products Ive had. Sweet corn, hops barley pulls through. Mouth feel seems to be very carbonated and kinda watery. pretty much the only aspect of the beer that needs some work. everything else is typical. I cant remember when I last drank a NA beer. I don't remember it being this good. Not to say this beer is good or anything. Its just not horrible.

3.26/5  rDev +63.8%

A six pack for my father in law. It's been staring at me in the fridge, so why not?

A: The beer is pale, like a pale lager or pils. Clear as day, the ale gets points for translucence. A white head conjured up on pour. Where did it go, though? Disappeared crazy fast.

S: Light cereal grains and that's about it. Sweet creamed corn malt aromas follow a little while later.

T: The beer is surprisingly dry. Underneath that dryness, light biscuity malts and caramel are present. The breadiness takes the place of any alcohol. Corn sweetness is late to the party but it makes an appearance. A surprising amount of flavor for not alcohol. It's not my favorite but in a pinch it would work.

M: The mouthfeel is malty clean, sweet at times. A malted drink, water with some heft.

2.22/5  rDev +11.6%

I haven't ever had a "low-alcohol beer" before, but this one was sitting in the singles bin at my local store. I figured it might be nice to find a good beer to enjoy without getting drunk.

Looks like a normal lager. Very pale with a huge head that quickly settles down into nothing.

There is literally almost no aroma. Only a slight metallic and faintly sweet smell, but it takes some concentration to discern.

The taste is kind of boring, but I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. It is a little malty and sweet, but also kind of watery. Not terrible, and kind of refreshing.

Overall... I didn't really like this beer, but it isn't a complete turn-off to the world of alcohol-free beer.

2.36/5  rDev +18.6%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

First had: bottle from ?

Why would you ever drink this ever? Correct answer: no reason. If you need a drink, have some water.

Pours a clear, pale yellow, fizzy with carbonation, and a thin layer of fizzy bubbles for a head. Almost nothing in the smell, other than skunk and old grain husks. Taste is of stale Cheerios marinated in old bathwater, except thinner. Very light bodied, and pretty hard to choke down, especially when you remember that you won't get drunk at all by drinking this, so it won't get better with the more you drink.

2.21/5  rDev +11.1%

Yellow beer. No head, but loads of carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn, like Iowa, but worse. I might even discern a light hoppiness.

Taste is like bmc, but worse, I dunno where that light hoppiness went in the nose, but it ain't on the tongue, although some residual metallic bitterness is. I can't rate this 'to style', I don't like the style, and the style it is denatured from is a crappy one to boot, so you're getting like a xerox of a crappy xerox (to borrow from duplicity essentially, or was it the Simpsons?). Its not awful, but it doesn't blow me away either. Light body, no alcohol or hops. . . really, what rating could you expect from this?

Only relative value for this, is clearly if you want a real beer, but for whatever reason (legal, emotional, responsible) you can't.

My dad used to have loads of this crap and Sharps. At .99 cent in the singles pile, figured this would be a good weekday beer. Boy was I wrong, it just left me all pissed off afterwards.

1.8/5  rDev -9.5%

I wanted to try this, honestly I expected a lot worse. This brew wasn't overly tasteless. It tasted like most American Lagers do. It has a golden yellow color, has the flavor of a regular pale lager. Surprisingly enough this beer is a pretty good choice for someone who can't have much alcohol. For me though, I won't need to seek this out again unless it's for a prank on someone or something like that.

2.32/5  rDev +16.6%

A: pale yellow, more clear, trace head, almost no lacing

S: hops, grain, tricking my nose into thinking its 'real' beer.

T: light grain up front, watery body, not sweet, nor bitter.

M: light body, dry finish

D: Not bad, but the alcohol is clearly the missing flavor ingredient. If one wants to drink beer, but avoid the buzz; just pass on beer. It's not worth the sad calories.

Just above drinking water/liquid bread.

1.93/5  rDev -3%

Reviewed from notes

Appearnace: very pale, with a slight yellow tinge, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: faint malts/breadiness, skunky

Taste: bland, watered down, a bit skunked or maybe that's how it actually tastes

Mouthfeel: it had bubbles, while weak, they were there, very light

Drinkability: shared this beer with the Montpellier Domino Club Beer Drinking Pigs; they enjoyed it much more immensely than I!

Cheers!
The CPJ

2.46/5  rDev +23.6%

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

1.66/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color. One finger white head shows medium retention leaving a small collar on the beer itself. Very light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet bready malts and cereal grain. Not much else really going on here that I can tell. It's not really appealing to me although I didn't expect it to be.

T- Sweet bready malts in the front of this clashes with a cereal corn off flavor. Alcohol like flavor comes in but it also coats the tongue in a weird flavor I can't place my finger on. Light hop flavor on the backend with a hint of metallic tinge toward the final ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style I suppose. Sweet malts and cereal grain left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet hints of malts and alcohol (which there is so little) along with cereal grains. Light drying on the palate but it's not from the alcohol. Metallic off flavors which are common in a lot of BMC products I know. Flavors are balanced for the style.

D- This beer is not bad for what it is suppose to be. My palate though after first sip started to feel this weird numbing feeling which is why I rated it as low as I did. Not a beer I want to visit again but glad I tried it at least once.

2.57/5  rDev +29.1%

A- Pale amber/dark straw. foamy head. some persistance to it.
S- Slightly toasted grain. Other than that not much.
T- Grain. That's about it. Nothing offensive, but nothing actively great either.
M- Clearly thin.
D- I can imagine worse. I mean it's not much worse tasting than most light lagers out there... I just wouldn't ever drink it by choice.

3.8/5  rDev +91%

This was my first non-alcoholic beer, but I'm genuinely impressed with how much it was unlike regular beers in the American Adjunct category. Decent taste and mouthfeel. Not amazing but pretty normal really, which I would assume for this style is very good. I would have another one. Why not? It's not offensive at all.

2.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a nasty looking piss straw yellow with a white head and lacing that isn't present. Smells like grain and a little corn. Tastes weak with a little corn and some grain. Mouthfeel is really super than and leaves much to be desired. Drinkability is high because it has like no alcohol.

2.33/5  rDev +17.1%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

Finished off the night with the classic N/A. I actually grabbed this one from Dad's house as he has sworn by it for years. Pours about what I would expect, a dull golden yellow with a finger high head of foamy white that fades as quick as it started. Lots of visible carbonation coming up throughout the session. The aroma was bready, very light, but hints of light hops could actually be picked up if you really look for it. Clean flavor, light breads, musky, moldy grains and that ever present corn flavor. Quick dash of hops and its gone.

It gets bonus points for being water, but that's about it. It was actually not the worst tasting of the group at all.

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%

The name O'Doul's has almost become synonymous with non-alcoholic beer. It's like when one wants to order a cola, they simply order a "Coke" regardless of the brand. I've heard people say "gimmie an O'Doul's" whether or not this brew is available. As a non-alcoholic beer, I suppose O'Douls accomplishes its job adequately: it tastes like a mass-produced lager. Is it good though?

O'Doul's pours a translucent golden yellow with a finger and a half of foam, which thins out a little but overall lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes. Aroma is somewhat skunky, perhaps due to the green bottle. Skunk aroma is mixed adjuncty grains and straw-like scents. On the palette, the beer feels like a standard macro-lager with a high-moderate amount of carbonation. As mentioned, it does taste like beer. The flavor is grainy with some wet paper flavors. There is an extremely light hop flavor, but make no mistake there really isn't any hop "zing" to this. The aftertaste is seltzer-y with some lingering graininess, and of course a beer like this finishes with no alcoholic warmth.

I asked before: is it good? My answer: not really. While it tastes like beer, that's because it SHOULD. After all why try marketing a beer substitute if it isn't going to resemble the real thing. O'Douls might compare to a light beer in flavor, but even then it's pretty weak. Better than the low carb beers for sure, but I have to believe there is better non/low alcohol beers out there than this.

1.88/5  rDev -5.5%

Pale yellow with a thin fizzy head that leave no lacing at all.

Nearly foul smelling. Canned corn and white rice smell. Grainy and semi-skunky smelling.

Not putrid, but not good either. Lightly sweet and watered down grain taste. Very bland and unfresh tasting.

Thin and watery. Nothing else to report here.

Definitely not something I want to drink ever again. I would rather have a glass of water than this.

2.74/5  rDev +37.7%

O'doul's pours a clear light straw with no head. The aroma is light and grainy with some hints of cooked corn. The flavor is thin and watery, with some grainy malt flavor. This is my first low alcohol beer, and overall I am not impressed, but if you told me this was light beer, I would probably believe you.

1.67/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle.
Crystal clear, light gold colour with a quickly dissipating cap of white foam. A thin collar is supported by a constant stream of bubbles, seems highly carbonated, and there was a bit of transient lacing. Strong aroma of cooked veggies, very sulfury, quite unpleasant. Low bitterness with a sticky malt sweetness. Not much in the way of flavour beyond sharp mineral notes at the end. Light bodied and dry, watery and thin, with lots of carbonation. I didn't expect much and I wasn't surprised. I don't ever expect to have this again.

2.27/5  rDev +14.1%

Note to myself: Make sure you have your glasses with you when buying new beers!

I was in Ruby's Inn genreal store after a days hiking in Bryce Canyon picking up some stuff for the evening and grabbed this beer along with a few others, my mistake.

Green 12 oz bottle, poured into two plastic toothbrush holders from our motel room.

To be fair the beer had a lovely foaming head of snow white bubbles. The body was a typical lager clean looking golden straw colour.

That is about the best I can say about the brew, it got steadily worse as the tasting progressed.

I wasn't impressed at all, apart from its initial looks.

1.55/5  rDev -22.1%

O'Doul's Premium Non Alcoholic Brew pours a pale straw with a fizzy white head. no surprises here. it's darker than water, but lighter than piss. the head disappears in seconds.

smells of grainy adjuncts. there is a light pilsner-like malt presence, and nothing else. there may be a slight floral hop note, but it's indistinguishable.

tastes heavy with cereal, light bready malt (very light), and a confusing aftertaste. it's watery, light, and what little flavor present is off-putting.

mouthfeel light, highly carbonated.

even though i have reason to believe that this bottle was skunked, i couldn't or wouldn't willingly drink this again. it's too bad that alcoholics have to deal with this sort of punishment. yugh! im going to pour this out and grab a Bigfoot

2.34/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: From the can, it looks like yellow carbonated water.

Smell: Corn. Water.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is ok. Basically soda water with a sweet corn taste. Not smooth due to carbonation.

Drinkability: Carbonated water can be hard to drink, and this is not much different.

Overall: A perfect beer to get drunk on...cough cough.

2.26/5  rDev +13.6%

Yellow brew with reasonable carbonation. Absolutely no smell to it, and taste to match. Reminds me rather of club soda, with a slight beer flavor added. Some notes of hay and hops but otherwise utterly bland.

Having gotten the bad out of the way, I'll say that it serves in what it is designed to do - satisfy a taste for beer when it's inappropriate to be drinking alcohol. It's certainly no worse than the domestic macrobrews that so many swear by (i.e. Budweiser, MGD, etc.) I'll buy it again when I need to keep my wits about me.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch