O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 492 | Reviews: 167
2.88/5  rDev +44.7%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is mostly grain with just a touch of hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is light grain and not much else. Clean, crisp and refreshing. Nothing more, nothing less.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- I tried to review this beer for what it is. A light beer with very little alcohol. I was not expecting a huge complex beer or something that would knock my socks off. For what it is, it is a pretty decent brew to knock back a few of them in a sitting without getting a buzz.

1.97/5  rDev -1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Went thru a time where "GASP" I could not have beer and well drank all the N/A beer and well lets just say it was a dark period in my life.

A: Very light in appearance and lots of carbonation.

S: Smelled very light in hops and hopeful.

T: It tasted like a light big company beer,very indiferent.

M: Taste like big beer done lighter than light.

D: It was drinkable and I thank God that time has passed and now can fully enjoy real beers.

3.54/5  rDev +77.9%

Received as a gift...

This one pours a brown golden color that is a little too much on the brown side for its own good. There is no head at all, save for a collar no thicker than two or three bubbles.

Smells of lightly toasted wheat bread backed by a dry and crisp snap of ambiguous hops.

Tastes of light grains, like oats and white bread that picks up a dry numbing sting from the CO2 and hops. This transitions over into a light, woody bite with a touch of chrysanthemum and celery. No booze here? Nice!

The body feels bold and dense with a playful buzz of carbonation. Nice.

Not bad at all. Looks dull, but if you're in the mood for slugging a few brews with zero chance of a buzz, this isn't a bad call.

1.77/5  rDev -11.1%

I figured it was around time to review a N/A beer. Had this at my girlfriends family Halloween party. Not sure if any of them actually enjoy this, or if someone is an alcoholic...

Yes, I poured this into a can, and yes my girlfriends family thought I was insane. Color is piss water, and not piss water after you've been backpacking all day and your dehydrated, piss water after a long night of drinking...yea...the clear kind. This is more clear than it is yellow. Actually does have some head to it, with sad - but noticeable retention. I actually see a tiny bit of lacing.

The nose is very grainy. I think...possibly...I can detect some sort of hop addition here. Maybe not, maybe I'm smelling the person next to me's beer. This is almost like Miller Lite, in that it "smells like real beer." That line cracks me up.

The taste is uber light, watered down, what have you. Very grainy (comparitively speaking) with a light hop-like flavor. Thats about it, nothing to talk about.

Mouthfeel is light, no kidding. A reasonably high carbonation leads to a crisp bite in the mouthfeel, and it finishes clean. This is definitely drinkable, but I don't know that I could ever drink this often.

I see this beers better qualities. It does have some flavor, and it does do some characteristics good. I can't imagine it's easy (but I really don't know so I could be wrong) to make a N/A beer. I see this brew for what it is. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

1.97/5  rDev -1%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler Pint. 0.5% ABV, Born on date of 16Jun04 (yes, '04...this will be fun!) Thanks to my girlfriend's parents for this "cellared" can. Lol.

A - Crystal clear insanely pale yellow straw. Very effervescent. Lots of bubbles rising up to a surprisingly well-retained two-finger head. Fluffy, white, and increasingly rocky as it drops. Didn't leave any lacing on the glass though.

S - The aroma is an off-putting earthy straw and wet leaf with A LOT of rice. Yuck. It doesn't smell much like beer at all.

T - Rice. It tastes like nothing at all with a teeny splash of rice water. That is the least flavor I have ever experienced in a beer.

M - Thin, watery, and fizzy to the finish, it's the lightest thing with the word beer on the can.

D - With the age on this thing I was expecting to be close to a barf. No joke. But it's not even "bad" per se. It can't be bad when there is nothing there to be bad really. It's totally devoid of any flavor! God damn prohibition must have been awful with legal beer like this.

2.21/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a very light color with a not bad white head. The smell is somewhat earthy, but not in a good way--more in the way of an old basement. The flavor isn't really off in any particular way--perhaps a little bit of cardboard--but in reality there just isn't much there. Mouthfeel is light with quite a bit of carbonation. Drinkability is similar to seltzer water--just not much about it that would keep me drinking more, but nothing too horrible either.

2.26/5  rDev +13.6%

A - To start, it looks decent for a lighter brew. The head is bright white and fast to fade. The body is a crisp, clear gold color with allot of bubbles. Once the head is gone it doen't look like much.

S - The smell is not good. It has a musty soap scent that does not sit well with a beer I'd care to drink.

T - Relative to the smell the flavor isn't half bad. It has a crisp malt taste that gives it an edge.

M - The feel is light to begin but toward the middle it starts to get some coarse character. I think the texture actually helps this beer a bit by bringing out the malt flavor.

~ I don't think this is a brew I'd care to sample much more than this one time. I feel sorry for my beautiful wife that she has to endure this as a beer-staple for the next five and half months due to our expecting a baby in late March. This is a true sacrifice.

2.92/5  rDev +46.7%

A- Albino colored, no head whatsoever, little visible carbonation.

S- As smell almost as light as the color, faint hops and grainy notes, paired with that unmistakable american lager characteristic.

T- Decent tasing, nice balance between the compressed block of low-grade hops and the cheap cereal grains purchased in bulk from a faceless, corporate farm. Smooth, without sharpness of taste.

M- C'mon, it's an American lager. It's like water.

D- Drinkability is better than you'd think, it's one of the better macrobrews out there. If this was the only thing around, I'd manage to not make a face when cracking one open.

***Here's where this beer really gets crazy, though; the freshness date is September '08. This beer held up damn well considering the average life span of a macro is a little more than three months! Maybe it got better with age...?

3.69/5  rDev +85.4%

I have sinned.

My friend was doing 10 days in the pokey for DUI. When he got sprung, I decided to play a cruel joke on him by offering him a beer during the carride home. Only it wouldn't be a beer, see, it'd be one of these O'Doul's thingamabobs.

He gets out and we hand him an O'Douls. He don't even look at it, just unscrews it and starts drinking. We're waiting for him to spit it out, you know, since it tastes so hideously unlike beer. But he doesn't. He keeps sipping it. Eventually we get a little anxious and ask him doesn't the beer taste crappy and he says, no, actually, it's not great but it's pretty good.

And you know something? He was right. This might be Anheuser's best-tasting regular offering. It doesn't pour that great, but it smells like a crisp European pils hopped at medium strength. No adjunct nastiness at all. Tastes about on a par with their discontinued World Lager--kinda like Stella only with a less bitter malt profile. There is a certain emptiness on the backend, where the booziness should be, but it's not nearly as pronounced as I had anticipated.

Yes, it doesn't get you drunk. But aside from that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I guess this whole time I *have* actually been drinking beer mostly because it tastes good!

3.18/5  rDev +59.8%

I remember having O'Douls's Amber and heading for the hills. This lighter version seems much less obtrusive.

From a 12 oz. bottle and poured into a pilsner glass, this 'beer' pours a clear straw and offers a thick and soapy head of foam. Retention is miraculously brief however, surrendering to a surface cap in a minute or so. Nonetheless I enjoyed the albeit brief ride.

Typical nose of raw grain and with no negative influences. Touch of nondescript vegetal flavors don't deter. Flavor follows suit and is light and grainy without being too thin. Feel and drink are slightly better than average for the style though there seems to be little variation in that regard in my experience. Like many of the style this is best consumed directly from the bottle or added in short increments to a glass so as to maintain a crisp carbonation.

2.16/5  rDev +8.5%

appearance - clear, yellow, the usual. had tons of head when I first poured it so I got my hopes up. Was gone almost immediately. Left a little lacing

smell - had a weird metallic quality to it. Smelled a bit of malt, maybe.

taste - Bland, but you can taste the malt...kind of...

mouthfeel - watery. At first there was too much carbonation. Halfway through it's almost gone.

Drinkability? I mean, it's not the worst thing ever, but there isn't much of a use for it. Although, I would put this on par with most bmc's. Slightly more drinkable even.

1.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Very pale color that is very clear. It did have a good head.

Smell: Pretty bland. Some very mild malt smells, but not much to speak of.

Taste: Very bland. Frankly, it tastes kind of like water.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: While this might not be the worst thing in the world, I just kept asking myself: What's the point? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the taste of beer, but if it's not getting me somewhat buzzed, I just don't see the point. For pure taste, this isn't bad; for beer, I wouldn't drink it again.

2.78/5  rDev +39.7%

This is one my grand dad always had around before his passing. I fondly remember sharing several of these with him just for memeoires sake.

I picked up another simply to cross it off the style list.

A: Pours a light watery piss yellow hue with a fizzy head. No retention or lace to mention.

S: Mild aroma. Light corn and macro malt.

T: Taste is better than some of the other BMC boys. Light corn sweetness, grain, and a touch of salt.

M: Very light in body, with a good zip of carbonation.

D: Nah, not even memories of sharing them with ol grand dad could make this one, one that I would buy again.

2.77/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz green bottle with twist off cap.

This beer poured a clear yellow color with white foam that settled to a thin coat on the surface of the beer. The smell was not so bad, at least it was beer-like. There was some malt aroma and a touch of sweetness (corn?). The taste was lightly sweet (again, is this brewed with corn?) and a very low malt flavor. These give way to discernible hops at the finish. The mouthfeel was overall dry with very light body and low carbonation. A grain sweetness and faint hops linger in the finish. This was an OK beer for what it is, and if you are going alcohol free, it would be an OK choice.

2.9/5  rDev +45.7%

O.K., I recently did a scan of which beer styles I have not covered and Low Alcohol was one that I needed to check off the list. Truth be told, I didn't even know they were handled by the site. Anyway, my sister-in-law drinks the stuff and there are sometimes a couple sitting around my house. So for the sake of completing the style list. Here goes.

Finger and a ½ of fluffy white head forms atop a crystal clear light gold beer. Sporadic carbonation quickly escapes to the top of the glass. The head does fade rather quickly to a thin film of foam. No lacing.

Aroma is very light and of grass and light hops.

Have to admit the flavor is better than I would have expected. Just very light. I think I am tasting corn. Some grains at any rate, a light sweetness and almost no hop bitterness.

The body is where there is an issue, really water like and thin. Finishes rather clean though.

Well, its very drinkable as a beverage, but not in the sense of drinkable for a beer. Wanting more, etc.

I can't totally pan this one.

3.25/5  rDev +63.3%

12 oz bottle

The taste and smell really give the impression that this is a wanna-be pilsner. Like a nine year old trying to be Tony Hawk, it fails to meet the mark but you certainly appreciate the attempt. Maybe my expectations were unrealistically low, but I was somewhat impressed. Some bitter hop notes and grains were in the mix. It was predictably watered down, but not so that they could not be enjoyed.

There is a lot of air in this beer and the carbonation dominates the mouth feel. The beer is very light as you would expect. Overall its pretty drinkable (but then again, so is water).

I'm no expert on near beer by any means, but this beer met my expectations and served as a fair stand-in for the real thing. I probably will buy it again in the future.

3.82/5  rDev +92%

I like this N/A beer,the apperance is of a yellow gold with a light lace of head & froth.
Smells like adjucnt & lite hops.
Tastes good & mouthfeel is good & drinkability is great on a hot summer day when it is ice cold.
overall one of the better n/a's.

1.96/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Live Review. Odouls poured from a can into a clean, clear glass. "Premium & Extra Smooth"

A Big fluffy head over a straw yellow body with carbonation rising up. Basic look.

S Kind of a fakey pilsner smell, not entirely off putting, some grains.

T The least amount of taste of any beer that I have had. Really, it is water with some grains, maybe some pilsner grains? I have an obligation to give this the lowest rating that I can due to it almost non existent taste.

M Very light indeed. I may even detect a hint of syrupy stickiness but I am really searching for something interesting here.

D Excellent but I will not be testing its drinkability anytime soon.

3.52/5  rDev +76.9%

Presentation: 12oz green screw top bottle

Appearance: Light/medium gold beer with decent carbonation and a stark white head that soon falls to a thick film

Smell: Very light; cereal grains and actually a tiny bit of hop grassiness in here; a bit sweet for me, but pretty decent actually, esp for a NA beer

Taste: Very light; a touch of grain, medium sweetness, a light metallic twang, and the slightest hop bitterness...it's a bit overly sweet/sugary, but again, for what it is, this isn't any worse than some of the macro lagers I used to drink

Mouthfeel: Ultra light

Drinkability: Highly Quaffable

Conclusion: What began (and failed, after about a month) as a Lenten exercise has now led me to drink NA beer a couple of nights during the week to save calories and money; they are what they are, I'm not going to argue that NA beers are super tasty or anything because even the best are mediocre by normal standards; that being said, this and Busch NA are about the only ones worth drinking.

2.63/5  rDev +32.2%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems the usual.

Aroma is full of corn, sweet malt and ginger ale. Yep, your substandard n/a beer here.

Taste is mild and grainy with a bit of sweet malt and ginger ale in the back. Just light and watery enough to be inoffensive.

Not much lingers at the back of the throat. Just a bit of sweet malt and grain.

Eh, it's a non-alcoholic beer. What do you expect? It's inoffensive though. You'd pretty much have to drink a 30 pack just to get drunk. If that's your thing, then by all means, do it.

2.55/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light!

2.63/5  rDev +32.2%

ap: Pours out a pale yellow with almost zero head that would go away quickly if it could.
sm: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer smell.
ta: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer taste.
mf: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer feel.
dr: Okay. It's not flavorful, not really *good* beer, just a light weight (really light) beer when I want a beer w/ lunch before going for a motorcycle ride. A harmless self-delusion.

2.88/5  rDev +44.7%

A- Pours a bright clear yellow with a large foamy head. Leaves some lacing in the glass.

S- a mild spiciness with a bland grainey malt.

T- Almost flavorless. Just a hint of grainey malt.

M- Like drinking a glass of water.

D- OK for what it is. Not much going on.

2.08/5  rDev +4.5%

I'm not really ready to admit that this is a beer. Taste is completely below average and doesn't have any special characteristics. Very bland. Little head that dissipates quickly and a sub-par smell. Color is pale and mostly unattractive. Stay away from this one. As far as flavor is concerned, this ones a no go.

2.46/5  rDev +23.6%

A: Straw colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: A lot like a macro lager. Rice and straw and little else.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and dry malt. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for an NA. Pretty much Bud with the alcohol zapped out of it.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch