2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 151 | Show All Ratings:
Rifrafboy

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours dry like a typical N/A brew. Decent head with lacing abound. Taste is dry and smooth. Malt is there, mostly from grains and in particular, corn. This a decent example of the type. I would try this again for a good N/A American lager. Best if served ice cold.

03-14-2003 18:01:15 | More by Rifrafboy
Brad007

Vermont

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems the usual.

Aroma is full of corn, sweet malt and ginger ale. Yep, your substandard n/a beer here.

Taste is mild and grainy with a bit of sweet malt and ginger ale in the back. Just light and watery enough to be inoffensive.

Not much lingers at the back of the throat. Just a bit of sweet malt and grain.

Eh, it's a non-alcoholic beer. What do you expect? It's inoffensive though. You'd pretty much have to drink a 30 pack just to get drunk. If that's your thing, then by all means, do it.

03-28-2009 03:12:17 | More by Brad007
Metalmonk

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department.

08-08-2011 22:57:27 | More by Metalmonk
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.6/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow-hued body with a thinnish layer of fizz up top.

Smell: Just a lone, ineffective note of cheap cracked grain.

Taste: Sad-tasting, limp cereal grains up front with just the most fleeting amount of sweetness. Near nil hop bitterness but zero hop flavor. Fairly clean at the soda water finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied and rather watery in the mouthfeel. Fizzly carbonation akin to seltzer water.

Overall: ...

08-18-2012 22:13:07 | More by ChainGangGuy
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev +25.9%

Pale straw yellow appearance with lots of bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing. Smell is slightly sweet with a hint of wheat and corn, nothing strong though, smells like your average Light Beer.

Taste is similar to the smell, mainly grain with a very light hint of corn and sweetness. Taste is very light though and hard to pick up. Watery body with high carbonation. Aftertaste is very dry, some grain though.

For a non-alcoholic beer, this isn't too bad, refreshing and very similar to light beers. Also shares the problems of light beer where it's very watery, but that's expected. I'd recommend this if you had to get beer from this style.

08-02-2011 02:39:55 | More by CrazyMike
tone77

2.58/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some faint hints of grain. Taste is also grains, a touch of malt, actually more flavor than other beers of this style. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I will be in no rush to have another, it ain't the worst of this style.

05-27-2012 17:07:24 | More by tone77
allengarvin

2.55/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light!

03-27-2009 20:00:06 | More by allengarvin
jsprain1

2.55/5  rDev +24.4%

A- Pale amber/dark straw. foamy head. some persistance to it.
S- Slightly toasted grain. Other than that not much.
T- Grain. That's about it. Nothing offensive, but nothing actively great either.
M- Clearly thin.
D- I can imagine worse. I mean it's not much worse tasting than most light lagers out there... I just wouldn't ever drink it by choice.

01-09-2011 07:48:26 | More by jsprain1
DavidST

2.53/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Someone left this at my house so I figure I'll try it. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, coded bottle date. This pours a clear light yellow straw like color with a short lived fizzy large bubbled foamy head which different than most beers. The smells are of adjuncts, no real hop presence. The feel is thin and fizzy. The taste is okay for what it is, not my type of beer but it could be worse, like most other popular beers.

09-27-2012 23:52:21 | More by DavidST
proc

2.5/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Extremely watery. No detectable aroma. No hop taste. Tastes like tonic water with a metallic twinge. They must've done something to increase the flavor in this NA as it has at least a semblance of taste whereas it didn't a few years ago. Very drinkable (due to watery nature). Not as good as the Amber version.

09-10-2003 16:27:44 | More by proc
Wasatch

Utah

2.5/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

09-09-2008 01:59:15 | More by Wasatch
oggg

2.48/5  rDev +21%

First I must confess I drank this out of the bottle.

Very clear... must be pale yellow on the pour. Head, I dunno, I drank it from the bottle. It's fizzy and slightly bitter. Hey it must be beer! Actually it wasn't that bad... Not the thinnest beer I've had, surprisingly. Not much taste though. The amber is much better.

02-20-2004 23:11:50 | More by oggg
Rayek

2.48/5  rDev +21%

A: Straw colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: A lot like a macro lager. Rice and straw and little else.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and dry malt. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for an NA. Pretty much Bud with the alcohol zapped out of it.

11-19-2008 19:05:28 | More by Rayek
shererjt

2.45/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad.

05-21-2006 01:30:22 | More by shererjt
keeponwithbeer

2.45/5  rDev +19.5%

I admit I was always curious about what a NA beer tasted like, but I only picked this up at my Dad's request. Comes in a green bottle and pours like golden and thin with minimal head like so many of the classics. Very drinkable and similar in taste to some of the classics as well, except for one detail...the smell. This is the stinkiest beer I've ever had. As soon as I twisted off the cap the smell actually came and found me. I've heard of certain beers smelling "skunky", but this one is the first I've had that perfectly fits that description. Even some of the aftertaste is skunk and if you dare belch, more skunk. Other than the smell, it goes down very easy, but why shouldn't it? There's nothing in it but bubbles. If you're in the market for a NA beer, try to sample them in small quantities before committing to a sixer. I believe Coors and Busch offer one.

08-23-2008 05:16:21 | More by keeponwithbeer
PatrickJR

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Glad to find a single of this at Total Wine for $0.99 so I could finally try an NA beer.

A - Looks pretty much like any American lager/light lager. A finger or less of head recedes quickly to nothing, and leaves some very minimal lace. Pale yellow and completely clear.

S - There's actually a discernable grain aroma with some old, vague hops.

T - Bland grain with a slight sweetness. Finishes clean and flavorless.

M - Quick prickly carbonation that fades almost instantly. Watery, thin.

D - This actually isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Of course there are other things, but for a non-beer beer, it's not half bad.

08-06-2008 06:32:23 | More by PatrickJR
woodychandler

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

02-19-2011 22:26:54 | More by woodychandler
Mebuzzard

2.38/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

06-06-2011 06:19:25 | More by Mebuzzard
Treyliff

West Virginia

2.38/5  rDev +16.1%

A- pours a pale-pale straw color with a small fizzy white head that reduces to a thin layer that skims the top, just a bit of lace.

S- typical light beer smell, some grains and a bit of yeast, bit much going on.

T- light, very light. Almost like drinking seltzer water. Just a touch of grainy husk, otherwise pretty simple.

M- light body with medium carbonation, very spritzy and fizzy, similar to soda.

O- it is what it is, however it was more tolerable than some of its light lager counterparts. It just taste more like flavored carbonated water to me. I didn't enjoy anything about this beer, but graded with the style in mind.

11-01-2012 23:43:44 | More by Treyliff
StonedTrippin

2.38/5  rDev +16.1%

hate to rag on an NA beer, because the fact these exist and are available for those who cant drink because of health, self control, or driving safe reasons is awesome, and i applaud it, but this is a terrible NA beer, and id rather just have water if i have to drive for the night. it pours from the bottle an entirely flat looking yellow wheat color with literally no head at all. the nose is sweet and extracty, corn syrupy almost. the flavor is about the same as the nose, very little redeeming at al about it, and it would barely pass as beer to me in a blind tasting. i dont hate the body, which is sort of medium to light, not watery as i expected, but te carbonation just isnt there. i try to keep a 6er of NA around for soem friends of mine who dont partake anymore, but i wont buy this again. i prefer ever single NA ive ever tasted to this one, how can a beer be this flat and bland? not fair to the sober guys.

12-17-2012 16:55:11 | More by StonedTrippin
yen157

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

This may be the ugliest beer I've ever come across. It was so pale yellow, it almost looked a bit gray. Very strange. That aside, it had a thin, grainy aroma and a touch of floral hops. I was really impressed because AB gave their NA beer a hop aroma that their regular beers lack. The beer had a macro, super-carbonation, thin mouthfeel. It had only a very faint malt tase. The other flavor / aroma struck me as odd. It could only be percieved by retronasally. It was a very faint, soft fruit. It reminded me of Diet Snapple Peach Iced Tea. Very strange.

11-10-2002 07:26:03 | More by yen157
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

A - To start, it looks decent for a lighter brew. The head is bright white and fast to fade. The body is a crisp, clear gold color with allot of bubbles. Once the head is gone it doen't look like much.

S - The smell is not good. It has a musty soap scent that does not sit well with a beer I'd care to drink.

T - Relative to the smell the flavor isn't half bad. It has a crisp malt taste that gives it an edge.

M - The feel is light to begin but toward the middle it starts to get some coarse character. I think the texture actually helps this beer a bit by bringing out the malt flavor.

~ I don't think this is a brew I'd care to sample much more than this one time. I feel sorry for my beautiful wife that she has to endure this as a beer-staple for the next five and half months due to our expecting a baby in late March. This is a true sacrifice.

10-02-2009 22:25:24 | More by cdkrenz
tjsdomer2

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: From the can, it looks like yellow carbonated water.

Smell: Corn. Water.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is ok. Basically soda water with a sweet corn taste. Not smooth due to carbonation.

Drinkability: Carbonated water can be hard to drink, and this is not much different.

Overall: A perfect beer to get drunk on...cough cough.

04-25-2010 04:47:54 | More by tjsdomer2
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

Finished off the night with the classic N/A. I actually grabbed this one from Dad's house as he has sworn by it for years. Pours about what I would expect, a dull golden yellow with a finger high head of foamy white that fades as quick as it started. Lots of visible carbonation coming up throughout the session. The aroma was bready, very light, but hints of light hops could actually be picked up if you really look for it. Clean flavor, light breads, musky, moldy grains and that ever present corn flavor. Quick dash of hops and its gone.

It gets bonus points for being water, but that's about it. It was actually not the worst tasting of the group at all.

08-13-2010 00:39:53 | More by mikesgroove
psugrad98

2.33/5  rDev +13.7%

Light straw with slight head and lace. Slight sweet aroma with dextrin cooked grain nose. Light and slightly fizzy. Somewhat skunky taste, like beer that hasn't had enough time to ferment (duh, its a NA). Finishes slightly cabbagy. Still, not bad for a NA.

11-01-2002 12:05:51 | More by psugrad98