O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours dry like a typical N/A brew. Decent head with lacing abound. Taste is dry and smooth. Malt is there, mostly from grains and in particular, corn. This a decent example of the type. I would try this again for a good N/A American lager. Best if served ice cold.

2.64/5  rDev +18.4%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department.

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Stuck in Podunk PA with nothing to drink I wander out to the grocery store after my in-laws are asleep. Of course in PA you can't buy beer in a grocery store and all the bars close early around here so the only thing sold is N/A beer at BiLow. I got O'Doul's and I won't do it again. It is not the most awful thing I have ever tasted but seriously what is the point. Other than cooking with it I see no use. Even there, it is just as cheep to get a regular cheepo beer in a can from the distributor so it doesn't save money. I don't get it? Pours clear, nothing but grain in the nose, little if any taste and very wimpy in the mouth. Simply boring!

Hope this is helpful.

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems the usual.

Aroma is full of corn, sweet malt and ginger ale. Yep, your substandard n/a beer here.

Taste is mild and grainy with a bit of sweet malt and ginger ale in the back. Just light and watery enough to be inoffensive.

Not much lingers at the back of the throat. Just a bit of sweet malt and grain.

Eh, it's a non-alcoholic beer. What do you expect? It's inoffensive though. You'd pretty much have to drink a 30 pack just to get drunk. If that's your thing, then by all means, do it.

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

I had this with a burger at Longhorn steakhouse for lunch. Poured from the 12oz green bottle into a pint.

Color is golden straw, clear with quick dropping white head which collapses to a ring w/ visible carbonation in the liquid and no lace collects. The smell is very light with only a mild grainy odor and slight sweet accent. The mouthfeel is very high in carbonation with mild sweet texture and light toasted cereal feel with thin gassy overall palate impression.

Odoull's is very mild w/ gentle malt influence and slight seltzery quality from the high carbonation which verges almost on mineral with slight spice effect from the prickly bubbles that creates a numbing effect and more of a corn pop tinge as it warms w/ very dry finish. Overall this is not the first choice of beers I would have if looking for an non-alcoholic, but it was a good beer for pairing with a thick burger and seasoned fries

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

ap: Pours out a pale yellow with almost zero head that would go away quickly if it could.
sm: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer smell.
ta: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer taste.
mf: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer feel.
dr: Okay. It's not flavorful, not really *good* beer, just a light weight (really light) beer when I want a beer w/ lunch before going for a motorcycle ride. A harmless self-delusion.

2.6/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle at a local restaurant when I had to drive a far distance afterwards

For the fake person you know who always pretends to be drunk, play a trick on them with this, because they would throw up before feeling a thing from this one with its ABV below one

Golden color with no head or smell

Did not taste like much of anything

Could drink these all day because it is practically water with some barley thrown in the mix

2.59/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow-hued body with a thinnish layer of fizz up top.

Smell: Just a lone, ineffective note of cheap cracked grain.

Taste: Sad-tasting, limp cereal grains up front with just the most fleeting amount of sweetness. Near nil hop bitterness but zero hop flavor. Fairly clean at the soda water finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied and rather watery in the mouthfeel. Fizzly carbonation akin to seltzer water.

Overall: ...

2.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some faint hints of grain. Taste is also grains, a touch of malt, actually more flavor than other beers of this style. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I will be in no rush to have another, it ain't the worst of this style.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%

A- Pale amber/dark straw. foamy head. some persistance to it.
S- Slightly toasted grain. Other than that not much.
T- Grain. That's about it. Nothing offensive, but nothing actively great either.
M- Clearly thin.
D- I can imagine worse. I mean it's not much worse tasting than most light lagers out there... I just wouldn't ever drink it by choice.

2.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Pale straw yellow appearance with lots of bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing. Smell is slightly sweet with a hint of wheat and corn, nothing strong though, smells like your average Light Beer.

Taste is similar to the smell, mainly grain with a very light hint of corn and sweetness. Taste is very light though and hard to pick up. Watery body with high carbonation. Aftertaste is very dry, some grain though.

For a non-alcoholic beer, this isn't too bad, refreshing and very similar to light beers. Also shares the problems of light beer where it's very watery, but that's expected. I'd recommend this if you had to get beer from this style.

2.55/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light!

2.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Someone left this at my house so I figure I'll try it. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, coded bottle date. This pours a clear light yellow straw like color with a short lived fizzy large bubbled foamy head which different than most beers. The smells are of adjuncts, no real hop presence. The feel is thin and fizzy. The taste is okay for what it is, not my type of beer but it could be worse, like most other popular beers.

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Extremely watery. No detectable aroma. No hop taste. Tastes like tonic water with a metallic twinge. They must've done something to increase the flavor in this NA as it has at least a semblance of taste whereas it didn't a few years ago. Very drinkable (due to watery nature). Not as good as the Amber version.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Straw colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: A lot like a macro lager. Rice and straw and little else.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and dry malt. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for an NA. Pretty much Bud with the alcohol zapped out of it.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Glad to find a single of this at Total Wine for $0.99 so I could finally try an NA beer.

A - Looks pretty much like any American lager/light lager. A finger or less of head recedes quickly to nothing, and leaves some very minimal lace. Pale yellow and completely clear.

S - There's actually a discernable grain aroma with some old, vague hops.

T - Bland grain with a slight sweetness. Finishes clean and flavorless.

M - Quick prickly carbonation that fades almost instantly. Watery, thin.

D - This actually isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Of course there are other things, but for a non-beer beer, it's not half bad.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

First I must confess I drank this out of the bottle.

Very clear... must be pale yellow on the pour. Head, I dunno, I drank it from the bottle. It's fizzy and slightly bitter. Hey it must be beer! Actually it wasn't that bad... Not the thinnest beer I've had, surprisingly. Not much taste though. The amber is much better.

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

This may be the ugliest beer I've ever come across. It was so pale yellow, it almost looked a bit gray. Very strange. That aside, it had a thin, grainy aroma and a touch of floral hops. I was really impressed because AB gave their NA beer a hop aroma that their regular beers lack. The beer had a macro, super-carbonation, thin mouthfeel. It had only a very faint malt tase. The other flavor / aroma struck me as odd. It could only be percieved by retronasally. It was a very faint, soft fruit. It reminded me of Diet Snapple Peach Iced Tea. Very strange.

2.37/5  rDev +6.3%

hate to rag on an NA beer, because the fact these exist and are available for those who cant drink because of health, self control, or driving safe reasons is awesome, and i applaud it, but this is a terrible NA beer, and id rather just have water if i have to drive for the night. it pours from the bottle an entirely flat looking yellow wheat color with literally no head at all. the nose is sweet and extracty, corn syrupy almost. the flavor is about the same as the nose, very little redeeming at al about it, and it would barely pass as beer to me in a blind tasting. i dont hate the body, which is sort of medium to light, not watery as i expected, but te carbonation just isnt there. i try to keep a 6er of NA around for soem friends of mine who dont partake anymore, but i wont buy this again. i prefer ever single NA ive ever tasted to this one, how can a beer be this flat and bland? not fair to the sober guys.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

A- pours a pale-pale straw color with a small fizzy white head that reduces to a thin layer that skims the top, just a bit of lace.

S- typical light beer smell, some grains and a bit of yeast, bit much going on.

T- light, very light. Almost like drinking seltzer water. Just a touch of grainy husk, otherwise pretty simple.

M- light body with medium carbonation, very spritzy and fizzy, similar to soda.

O- it is what it is, however it was more tolerable than some of its light lager counterparts. It just taste more like flavored carbonated water to me. I didn't enjoy anything about this beer, but graded with the style in mind.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

I admit I was always curious about what a NA beer tasted like, but I only picked this up at my Dad's request. Comes in a green bottle and pours like golden and thin with minimal head like so many of the classics. Very drinkable and similar in taste to some of the classics as well, except for one detail...the smell. This is the stinkiest beer I've ever had. As soon as I twisted off the cap the smell actually came and found me. I've heard of certain beers smelling "skunky", but this one is the first I've had that perfectly fits that description. Even some of the aftertaste is skunk and if you dare belch, more skunk. Other than the smell, it goes down very easy, but why shouldn't it? There's nothing in it but bubbles. If you're in the market for a NA beer, try to sample them in small quantities before committing to a sixer. I believe Coors and Busch offer one.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch