O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
1.97/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler Pint. 0.5% ABV, Born on date of 16Jun04 (yes, '04...this will be fun!) Thanks to my girlfriend's parents for this "cellared" can. Lol.

A - Crystal clear insanely pale yellow straw. Very effervescent. Lots of bubbles rising up to a surprisingly well-retained two-finger head. Fluffy, white, and increasingly rocky as it drops. Didn't leave any lacing on the glass though.

S - The aroma is an off-putting earthy straw and wet leaf with A LOT of rice. Yuck. It doesn't smell much like beer at all.

T - Rice. It tastes like nothing at all with a teeny splash of rice water. That is the least flavor I have ever experienced in a beer.

M - Thin, watery, and fizzy to the finish, it's the lightest thing with the word beer on the can.

D - With the age on this thing I was expecting to be close to a barf. No joke. But it's not even "bad" per se. It can't be bad when there is nothing there to be bad really. It's totally devoid of any flavor! God damn prohibition must have been awful with legal beer like this. (1,051 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Went thru a time where "GASP" I could not have beer and well drank all the N/A beer and well lets just say it was a dark period in my life.

A: Very light in appearance and lots of carbonation.

S: Smelled very light in hops and hopeful.

T: It tasted like a light big company beer,very indiferent.

M: Taste like big beer done lighter than light.

D: It was drinkable and I thank God that time has passed and now can fully enjoy real beers. (449 characters)

If I wanted beer but couldn't have alcohol, this is not what to drink. I can't think of any real reason to drink this other than to make sure that your instincts about it are correct. (183 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -14%

A - Poured out a straw yellow with a white, small head. No lacing.

S - Smelled a little of corn and malt.

T - It was malty and there was an odd sweetness to it.

M - It was kind of gummy on the tongue.

D - It tasted like beer, just not like a "typical" beer. It's my first try at a NA beer so I don't have any grounds for comparison to other NAs. (349 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

Half finger of head. Clear, golden body with a few bubbles coming up.
Smell is a strong metallic and grain.
Taste is metallic with a little bitterness. Nothing really here though.
Crisp texture. Moderate carbonation.
Probably one of the better n/a beers, but then what's the point? (281 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

Sickly pale gold, translucent, minimal animation, underdeveloped soapy white head, no retention, no lace. The nose is uninviting, husky, grainy… funky… smells like Science Diet dog food. Rather flavorless, husky, grainy with a minimal influence of hops or malt… a whisper of cooked vegetables. Quick finish; empty… no enjoyment in drinking this one. Moderate carbonation, medium-light body, this part of O’Doul’s is decent. If you want an N/A try a Clausthaler Premium and if you’re just thirsty, drink water. (516 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Yellow and bubbly, clear and watery looking. Looks like any old macro lager to me.

S - Not much to the nose. Maybe a little waft of hops on top of a lot of ricey notes.

T - Much more full flavored than I expected , but still pretty weak. Tangy hop-like approximations of flavor really aren't that bad. I taste loads of rice, and some quinine-like tonic flavors.

M - Ultra-fizzy carbonation adds bite and crispness, and the light body is really soda-like.

D - Not as bad as I thought it would be. It's by no means good, but this is actually better than Michelob Ultra or Bud Select, and those actually have booze in them. Not a bad choice when you can't drink beer...it's better than soda! (705 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Enjoyed straight from the bottle at work while watching NFL Playoffs (Stillers!). Brown bottle, seems to be very see-through. Decent amount of carbonation as seen from the bubbles in the bottle.

S: The smell is pretty poor. Wheat, straw, malt. Can't I smell much difference between this and something like Natty Light.

T: Grainy and sweet up front, with a really offensive maltiness on the backend. Really a horrid aftertaste. If it wasn't for the aftertaste I might actually, dare I say this, like it. It just sits on the palate well after the sip has been taken and is very unpleasant.

MF: A little heavier body than I thought it would have, still light, it isn't as crisp. Medium carbonation. Would be very drinkable, again, if it wasn't for that aftertaste.

O: This wasn't all that bad. Do a blind taste test with this and a number of beers like Natty Light and I bet you'd be surprised how close it is. (914 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -11.5%

I'm not really ready to admit that this is a beer. Taste is completely below average and doesn't have any special characteristics. Very bland. Little head that dissipates quickly and a sub-par smell. Color is pale and mostly unattractive. Stay away from this one. As far as flavor is concerned, this ones a no go. (313 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -11.1%

What an odd experience- this NA beer is absolutly the cleanest going down the throat of any beer I've had. There is no bite, like a old dog without his dentures. The smell is of light bread, and the taste is slightly corny, but also slightly bready, almost as if they had soaked Wonderbread in water and then bottled it. (320 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

I drank this once before I was 21 when a friend of mine was stealing a beer from different 6-packs from his work. For some reason, he grabbed a couple of these and I haven't seen since the other night when I went to drink at my "recovering" alcoholic sister-in-law's house.
clear, yellowish body that has no smell really. Taste is light and airy, a tad sweetness is overpowered by barley and water. This stuff doesn't dry out the mouth, which is good. Then again, that's because there is nothing in here except water and barley. I will take a soda anyday, but I guess I can see why people trying to quit alcohol but still like a cold "beer" here and there will spend money on it. (679 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

O’doul’s “Premium & Extra Smooth” NA Brew pours weak yellow from a 12oz green bottle with a twist off cap. Head goes to about one finger then poof, its gone... no wisp no lace... the top of the Brew is smooth as glass.

Nose is a slight damp corn and a hint of hops. Palate is slight corn and slight malt with a slight bitter hops and the carbonation.

O’doul’s is a slight of everything Brew, no yummy malt, no well bittered hops bite, just a lot of gas (carbonation) and if you ask me, its a slightly boring Brew. (525 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

Smells strongly of stale grain and rice, like a box of breakfast cereal. It pours to a large, frothy, slightly dingy head, which dissipates quickly. And the taste of the stuff is watery and dull, with only a hint of grain flavor.

That said, I've had worse. O'Doul's is not a complete disaster -- I would never drink it voluntarily, but it compares favorably to some mass-market light-beers and macro lagers. (408 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -10.2%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I reiterate: Who needs alcohol, anyway? Answer from earlier: everybody... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mineral water and dusty grain. The taste brings in some fruity funk for the sake of it, but that just makes things a touch less palatable, frankly. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, if you want such a non-alcoholic option for a beverage, just drink water or soda or something. It's just not worth it to opt for this shit just for the sake of saying you drank something that sorta/kinda had the vague appearance of "beer". (704 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -8.5%

a:straw yellow color with eigth inch of white head that dissapears fast and leaves very little lace
s: corn and adjunct malts not really any hop presence
t: really sweet kinda funky, no real detectable flavors
m: light bodied beer with average amount of carbonation

overall, i couldnt see drinking another of these, i thought i would try it though since my buddy offered (376 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -8.1%

appearance - clear, yellow, the usual. had tons of head when I first poured it so I got my hopes up. Was gone almost immediately. Left a little lacing

smell - had a weird metallic quality to it. Smelled a bit of malt, maybe.

taste - Bland, but you can taste the malt...kind of...

mouthfeel - watery. At first there was too much carbonation. Halfway through it's almost gone.

Drinkability? I mean, it's not the worst thing ever, but there isn't much of a use for it. Although, I would put this on par with most bmc's. Slightly more drinkable even. (550 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a small head that fades quickly.

S: mild aroma of malt sweetness and grainy.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma. Mild sweetness and grain. No real bitterness and a slight aftertaste.

F: Light body, crisp and a bit refreshing. Not much else.

O: Could have been worse, decent beverage for "Duty Driver". (338 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -7.2%

The name O'Doul's has almost become synonymous with non-alcoholic beer. It's like when one wants to order a cola, they simply order a "Coke" regardless of the brand. I've heard people say "gimmie an O'Doul's" whether or not this brew is available. As a non-alcoholic beer, I suppose O'Douls accomplishes its job adequately: it tastes like a mass-produced lager. Is it good though?

O'Doul's pours a translucent golden yellow with a finger and a half of foam, which thins out a little but overall lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes. Aroma is somewhat skunky, perhaps due to the green bottle. Skunk aroma is mixed adjuncty grains and straw-like scents. On the palette, the beer feels like a standard macro-lager with a high-moderate amount of carbonation. As mentioned, it does taste like beer. The flavor is grainy with some wet paper flavors. There is an extremely light hop flavor, but make no mistake there really isn't any hop "zing" to this. The aftertaste is seltzer-y with some lingering graininess, and of course a beer like this finishes with no alcoholic warmth.

I asked before: is it good? My answer: not really. While it tastes like beer, that's because it SHOULD. After all why try marketing a beer substitute if it isn't going to resemble the real thing. O'Douls might compare to a light beer in flavor, but even then it's pretty weak. Better than the low carb beers for sure, but I have to believe there is better non/low alcohol beers out there than this. (1,467 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -7.2%

So I think, I've never had a non-alcoholic beer, why not..
This actually did pour a respectable color, amber with a white kind of rocky white head. Appearance wise this is far better than most AB products.
Sulfur in the aroma, malty-sweet.
Malty-sweet taste is way too sweet, but does have a beer character. Very light feel, just a touch bitter. Not horrible, I could deal with drinking it. Would work well for a macro drinker. This does come across as beer, more so than say Miller Lite, or Michelob Ultra.
I prefer Goya's Malta soft drink, it's not brewed but made from malt and hops, they just don't add the yeast. (621 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Not a bad effort for a non-acoholic beer. Of course there is some acohol, but not much. Certainly not enough to add any flavor or body overtone. The appearance is not that bad, nor is the malty nose. The flavor is actually BTB, but not by much. An OK offering if you've got to have beer, but can't have the alcohol. But in all honesty, what's the point? (353 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -6%

Yellow beer. No head, but loads of carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn, like Iowa, but worse. I might even discern a light hoppiness.

Taste is like bmc, but worse, I dunno where that light hoppiness went in the nose, but it ain't on the tongue, although some residual metallic bitterness is. I can't rate this 'to style', I don't like the style, and the style it is denatured from is a crappy one to boot, so you're getting like a xerox of a crappy xerox (to borrow from duplicity essentially, or was it the Simpsons?). Its not awful, but it doesn't blow me away either. Light body, no alcohol or hops. . . really, what rating could you expect from this?

Only relative value for this, is clearly if you want a real beer, but for whatever reason (legal, emotional, responsible) you can't.

My dad used to have loads of this crap and Sharps. At .99 cent in the singles pile, figured this would be a good weekday beer. Boy was I wrong, it just left me all pissed off afterwards. (976 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -6%

Pours a very light color with a not bad white head. The smell is somewhat earthy, but not in a good way--more in the way of an old basement. The flavor isn't really off in any particular way--perhaps a little bit of cardboard--but in reality there just isn't much there. Mouthfeel is light with quite a bit of carbonation. Drinkability is similar to seltzer water--just not much about it that would keep me drinking more, but nothing too horrible either. (454 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -5.5%

I haven't ever had a "low-alcohol beer" before, but this one was sitting in the singles bin at my local store. I figured it might be nice to find a good beer to enjoy without getting drunk.

Looks like a normal lager. Very pale with a huge head that quickly settles down into nothing.

There is literally almost no aroma. Only a slight metallic and faintly sweet smell, but it takes some concentration to discern.

The taste is kind of boring, but I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. It is a little malty and sweet, but also kind of watery. Not terrible, and kind of refreshing.

Overall... I didn't really like this beer, but it isn't a complete turn-off to the world of alcohol-free beer. (696 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -4.7%

This is how I am marking the #500 milestone in reviews :P The opportunity to try a bottle was there, and I figured it was as good a time as any to give it a shot!

A: Pale yellow, though not as light as some others I have come across. It almost looks like it might have some colouring added, as it doesn't seem all that natural in a strange way. A notable finger-high head resting on top with a reasonable retention and an actual trimming of lace that was unexpected.

S: Quite a strong aroma, considering. Quite vegetal, with a fairly notable scent of corn husks and a grain scent - a smell that always reminds me of big bags of puffed wheat or ricecakes. Not really an aroma I have a whole lot of love for, honestly.

T: A very notable rice flavouring - again, very much like ricecakes. Fortunately, I enjoy those, so that's not too offensive. There's a soft, sweet taste to it, which makes it alright. It's not something I can't tolerate, and it's not devoid of flavour which I think, in some cases, is the greater crime.

M + D: It could ease up on the carbonation a little, though it does have a fairly decent density in the body - only in beer do I ever like my bodies 'dense.' It's a reasonable shot, though the rice aromas and flavours seem to be a bit of a move in the wrong direction when trying to reproduce the 'flavours of beer' without the alcohol content. Drinking something that hopes to reproduce such a flavour when not wanting alcohol always seems like a rather unusual idea, too, but that's just me. It was ultimately drinkable, and I wouldn't pour it down the toilet by any means. I just don't see myself going after it again any time soon. (1,664 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -3.8%

A - To start, it looks decent for a lighter brew. The head is bright white and fast to fade. The body is a crisp, clear gold color with allot of bubbles. Once the head is gone it doen't look like much.

S - The smell is not good. It has a musty soap scent that does not sit well with a beer I'd care to drink.

T - Relative to the smell the flavor isn't half bad. It has a crisp malt taste that gives it an edge.

M - The feel is light to begin but toward the middle it starts to get some coarse character. I think the texture actually helps this beer a bit by bringing out the malt flavor.

~ I don't think this is a brew I'd care to sample much more than this one time. I feel sorry for my beautiful wife that she has to endure this as a beer-staple for the next five and half months due to our expecting a baby in late March. This is a true sacrifice. (855 characters)

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch