O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 492 | Reviews: 167
2.02/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Poured out a straw yellow with a white, small head. No lacing.

S - Smelled a little of corn and malt.

T - It was malty and there was an odd sweetness to it.

M - It was kind of gummy on the tongue.

D - It tasted like beer, just not like a "typical" beer. It's my first try at a NA beer so I don't have any grounds for comparison to other NAs.

2.75/5  rDev +38.2%

Why? Oh that's right, a picnic at the beach with non-drinkers? Whatever!

From the 12fl.oz. can and into the plastic tumbler pours a very pale gold with a 1/4 inch white cap that settles to 1/8 inch and leaves little lacing. Carbonation looks good, almost resembles beer...

The smell is malt and wheat and almost a bit of hop in there somewhere. Smells like beer. Doesn't smell sweet either which is kind of refreshing.

Tastes of feathery light malt with very little sweetness and finishes clean and crisp with a nice balance, no unpleasant aftertaste at all. It even actually tastes like beer.

Ultra light body with a pleasant watery mouthfeel, the carbonation keeps the stuff alive and somewhat refreshing.

If your stuck with a non-alcoholic barley-pop situation, this isn't a bad way to go...right up there with St. Pauligirl NA. I wouldn't wish that upon you however!

3.05/5  rDev +53.3%

Poured light yellow - fast carbonation with a fluffy white head that almost immediately vanished to nothing.
In the smell, there were some hints of hops and malt. They were very light, but clean - no worse than most light beers.
The taste was watery, but had hints of some hops, especially in the aftertaste. It was clean, but weak.
It leaves a clean, but rather flat feel. I can see how someone who can't have alcohol for some reason might be refreshed by it. Considering its style, it's not bad. Actually, it's probably at least as good as most macro lights. Not something that I personally would go for though. (If I can't have a beer, I most likely won't. I based the scores on the style - not so much personal preference.)

3.67/5  rDev +84.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite N/A beer to date. Smooth, and decent tasting.

A: The beer bottle looks great, the design is beutiful, and the beer has an above average looking beer that pours a nearly crystal clear color and once it has settled it turns a pale yellow, while on the downside it has a short lived head on the downside.

S: Smells great, not too strong not to weak. Smells very real beery-ish.

T: Perfect. Not too sweet, not too bitter and leaves the flavor in your mouth after a drink. You can also taste the yeast and cereal malts. It's also a bit hoppy, and smells of some sort of cooked corn.

M: Not too bubbly, and the great taste makes for a decent mouthfeel.

D: Goes down smooth, with no bitter bite to it after a drink. Very Chugable, although there is no real reason to chug it.

Bottom Line is that this is easily the best near beer I've had to date, I'd reccommend this to any N/A drinker. I'm just reviewing this beer for the taste, not the alcohol level.

2.63/5  rDev +32.2%

Stuck in Podunk PA with nothing to drink I wander out to the grocery store after my in-laws are asleep. Of course in PA you can't buy beer in a grocery store and all the bars close early around here so the only thing sold is N/A beer at BiLow. I got O'Doul's and I won't do it again. It is not the most awful thing I have ever tasted but seriously what is the point. Other than cooking with it I see no use. Even there, it is just as cheep to get a regular cheepo beer in a can from the distributor so it doesn't save money. I don't get it? Pours clear, nothing but grain in the nose, little if any taste and very wimpy in the mouth. Simply boring!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

1.15/5  rDev -42.2%

Tasted in Las Vegas.

Very nice bottle with an elegant old-world label.

Beer is very pale, with quickly dying carbonation and short-living head.

Smell is something from another world - sweetish, completely artificial. Start is sweet, too, body very thin (if there is any body at all), finish bitterish, synthetic, aftertaste of something like cardboard.

But the bottle is very nice... Have I said it before? Sorry.

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle. 0.5% abv.

Clear, light gold color. Head looks like styrofoam and leaves nothing on the glass. I grew up on a farm in small-town Iowa..along with the usual raccoons, possums, and other pests..I have shot & killed plenty of skunks in my day. This beer brings me back in time.. while the skunk smell slowly fades, it turns into a mostly grainy, bland, corn-husk aroma. The taste is fairly clean, while succeeding in having almost no flavor whatsoever. Like water with beer flavoring...I struggle to drink this before it gets any warmer.

I question why anyone would actually purchase this product (and admittedly, I've never understood the point of N/A beer). If you're the designated driver, then drink fruit juice, pop, water...anything...i mean, why this? Luckily, this one was free.

2.45/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad.

3.15/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crystal clear straw, with a 1/2 finger of fizzy head that is totally devoid of retention or lacing. Clean nose, faint grainy adjunct and corn smell. The sweet taste of corn adjunct dominates the overall flavor. The aftertaste has a pleasent euro-hop skunk that fades before it become annoying and gives some degree of character to the beer. It's boring and extra light, but I'm sure thats how the brewers intended a NA beer to be; so I'd have to say it has a good balance. Surprisingly smooth mouthfeel as well. Medium carbonation and a thin body that finishes mostly clean with a touch of dry euro-hops. Highly drinkable and nails the style.

2.87/5  rDev +44.2%

The appearance has a very good deep gold color but on the negative side it has a very thin head that dies fast and leaves no lace. The smell is sweet and crisp, pleasing. The taste is average. It is very light, it starts out smooth with cereal malts and ends with no hop kiss and a weak flat yeasty aftertaste. The mouth feel is that of water as it feels and leaves nothing just like water. The drinkability is hampered by the sharp hops that are normally absent unless you chug.

Some final notes: Not bad but I prefer the Amber. It is also sad that the best Aunheuser-Busch has to offer is N/A.

3.01/5  rDev +51.3%

So begins my quest for a nice N/A....

Clear straw color with a nice white head at first and very active carbonation pretty much throughout. Prominent corn adjunct aroma and flavor but not any more so than the standard A-B offerings. Very light bodied. Crisp and clean and not much different than other alcoholic macros which would make it diff to distinguish blind I would think.

Per label:
-65 cal., 13.3 g carb., 0.7g carb, 0 fat

Born On: 11/30/05
Tasted: 01/08/06

($4.56 / 6-pack)

2.8/5  rDev +40.7%

poured a very pale yellow color with a large head head to start that quickly left. Smell is very grainy with the same maltiness (somewhat unpleasant but possible to get used to) in other low or no alcohol beers. Taste is somewhat sweet and not enjoyable at first, but improves with subsequent tastes. Finishe is wet and kind of refreshing. OK for an NA.

3.88/5  rDev +95%

Well, it is a non alcoholic beer, I can not say much about it, but what it is for sure, is that it was not that bad, I mean, one have to be concerning that it is a low degree alcohol beer and you have to rate as one of it. But the colour was nice, the foam, just present, and the mouthfeel was not that bad, I would drink another one.

2.8/5  rDev +40.7%

This beer is one of the best beer of this worst brewer, may be is for the low in alcohol, is special for the mexican food, american food, buddies meeting, without the "funny" of the alcohol, is low in adjoincts aroma´s, very recommendable, taste over the average, drinkability in general is good

1.52/5  rDev -23.6%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks.

2.88/5  rDev +44.7%

Crystal clear pale gold with a big bubble head that falls to a firm ring. Smell is corn and mild biscuit, no skunk on this one...lucky me. Taste is typical for a light beer...crispy, nearly flavorless, with a watery corn juice finish. Mouthfeel was thin but much higher than I anticipated. Actually, not a bad drinking NA. If you have to have one, you could do much worse.

1.43/5  rDev -28.1%

sampled out of sheer morbid curiosity (fiancee's father is diabetic).

pale straw yellow in color, white head has sprite-like appearance before it disappears.

aroma is metallic cereal and grain, cut grass or hay, and wierd corny sweetness

taste is similar, yet even more diluted. beer flavored seltzer. like a malto goya but less sweet

razor thin body and diet soda mouthfeel. if you can not drink beer, stick to water, it's better than this.

1.63/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance is that of tap water. Aroma contains a skunkiness usually only encountered in Mexican beers – some hops and some malt.
Initial taste is that of a watery barley. One gets the impression of beer from this N/A “beer” but there is total lack of flavor and complexity.

2.78/5  rDev +39.7%

Presentation: Poured a clear, golden color into a mug. A finger-thick head developed on top of the beer, but there wasn't a lot of retention. It showed off a moderate amount of carbonation. The scent was of cereal grains, mainly. There wasn't much else to it. At least it wasn't an unpleasant smell.

Tasting: Grass and grain were the predominant flavors across the tongue with this beer. I didn't detect much of either hop bitterness or malt sweetness. In actuality, it was somewhat flavorless. Mouthfeel was watery and plain, making this not very pleasant. It's possible that I would have another one, served ice cold.

1.45/5  rDev -27.1%

There simply isn't much to be said about this low alcohol beer... It's as clear as it gets, as pale as it gets. No other nose than boring cereals, carbonated water taste with an unpleasant aftertaste This is foul, devoided of taste, perhaps one of the less tasty beers I've ever had. Must avoid.

1.47/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours too big a head out of the bottle, like a heavily processed head-like aglommeration. Color is the usual Budweiser pale straw. Can't pick up odor at all, but I guess no smell is better than a bad smell, so extra points there. Taste seems sometimes nonexistent, sometimes like some mutant strain of sugar, and where the hell are the hops? That six of Clausthaler I had is really starting to look much better, in retrospect. Gassy as any other AB product.

2.28/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

As the designated driver at a wedding, after a few Saranacs, I switched to NA beer for the evening. I’ve had O’Douls in the past, but this was the first time I’d had it in years. It’s yellow, very clear, and presents a moderate white head. The aroma reminds me of cereal grains and seltzer water. There’s not a lot of flavor, but it tastes similar to an average macro. I’m not a soda drinker, and I wouldn’t mind having this again, if I didn’t have a choice.

1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a clear yellow brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell is just a little grain smell, not good or bad.

Taste is pretty watery and a little sour. No hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel is weak, fizzy water.

Drinkability is watery, better than some NA beers but, not quite as good as a Budweiser.

2.45/5  rDev +23.1%

First I must confess I drank this out of the bottle.

Very clear... must be pale yellow on the pour. Head, I dunno, I drank it from the bottle. It's fizzy and slightly bitter. Hey it must be beer! Actually it wasn't that bad... Not the thinnest beer I've had, surprisingly. Not much taste though. The amber is much better.

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%

So I think, I've never had a non-alcoholic beer, why not..
This actually did pour a respectable color, amber with a white kind of rocky white head. Appearance wise this is far better than most AB products.
Sulfur in the aroma, malty-sweet.
Malty-sweet taste is way too sweet, but does have a beer character. Very light feel, just a touch bitter. Not horrible, I could deal with drinking it. Would work well for a macro drinker. This does come across as beer, more so than say Miller Lite, or Michelob Ultra.
I prefer Goya's Malta soft drink, it's not brewed but made from malt and hops, they just don't add the yeast.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch