2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 151 | Show All Ratings:
dbrauneis

1.86/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Pours a clear straw yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint hints of golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of thick film along with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts and hints of some sweetness.

T: Light flavors of cereal grains with some hints of honey sweetness and corn adjuncts. There is something strangely chemically amount the flavor of this beer. Light amounts of bitterness which lingers.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: Not one of my favorite Low Alcohol Beers - the strange chemical/medicinal quality to the taste of the beer is off-putting and I was not a fan of the honey addition. Would not grab another one of these.

09-29-2013 22:50:10 | More by dbrauneis
Dogbrick

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

I finally broke down and tried one of these they were giving away at the Convention Center in Anaheim during a reception. Any curiosity I had is now sated. I'll get more wine instead next time I have the choice. How could anyone like this? By definition this is not really even beer.

01-17-2003 08:43:38 | More by Dogbrick
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

1.98/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler Pint. 0.5% ABV, Born on date of 16Jun04 (yes, '04...this will be fun!) Thanks to my girlfriend's parents for this "cellared" can. Lol.

A - Crystal clear insanely pale yellow straw. Very effervescent. Lots of bubbles rising up to a surprisingly well-retained two-finger head. Fluffy, white, and increasingly rocky as it drops. Didn't leave any lacing on the glass though.

S - The aroma is an off-putting earthy straw and wet leaf with A LOT of rice. Yuck. It doesn't smell much like beer at all.

T - Rice. It tastes like nothing at all with a teeny splash of rice water. That is the least flavor I have ever experienced in a beer.

M - Thin, watery, and fizzy to the finish, it's the lightest thing with the word beer on the can.

D - With the age on this thing I was expecting to be close to a barf. No joke. But it's not even "bad" per se. It can't be bad when there is nothing there to be bad really. It's totally devoid of any flavor! God damn prohibition must have been awful with legal beer like this.

10-19-2009 22:19:30 | More by BeerFMAndy
tone77

2.58/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some faint hints of grain. Taste is also grains, a touch of malt, actually more flavor than other beers of this style. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I will be in no rush to have another, it ain't the worst of this style.

05-27-2012 17:07:24 | More by tone77
tpd975

2.8/5  rDev +36.6%

This is one my grand dad always had around before his passing. I fondly remember sharing several of these with him just for memeoires sake.

I picked up another simply to cross it off the style list.

A: Pours a light watery piss yellow hue with a fizzy head. No retention or lace to mention.

S: Mild aroma. Light corn and macro malt.

T: Taste is better than some of the other BMC boys. Light corn sweetness, grain, and a touch of salt.

M: Very light in body, with a good zip of carbonation.

D: Nah, not even memories of sharing them with ol grand dad could make this one, one that I would buy again.

07-06-2009 15:46:46 | More by tpd975
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

06-06-2011 06:19:25 | More by Mebuzzard
tdm168

2.99/5  rDev +45.9%

A - clear yellow with a large, thick, dense, white head that has good retention

S - grainy, husk

T - grainy, husk, a bit sweet; very very faint flavor

M - light bodied, well carbonated

For those that are avoiding alcohol but still like to have a beer, I"m glad that there are offerings out there for them. This is probably one of the better ones (small sampling as it is) that I've had. Due to the nature of the style, it is incredibly light and has a very weak flavor profile. There is enough flavor however to give those that choose this style an inkling that they're drinking a beer.

04-14-2013 01:17:08 | More by tdm168
rudzud

2.95/5  rDev +43.9%

Picked up at Julio's so I could check this style off my list. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - A super crystal clear straw pour with a fizzy white two finger head that fades rapidly to leave a thin halo. Lots of bubbles in the glass.

S - Larger aromas. Lots of sweet malts, grains, and corn. Not much else.

T - Pretty much the same. Much sweeter than I figured it would. Sweet malts, some grains and corn. I've had worse surprisingly.

M - Somewhat thin, but I suppose that is to be expected. Its still refreshing though, but then again so is water.

O - Overall, shocked at this beer. I guess if you cant drink beers anymore this doesnt taste all that bad. I've had much worse lagers.

08-04-2011 20:45:34 | More by rudzud
mynie

Indiana

3.68/5  rDev +79.5%

I have sinned.

My friend was doing 10 days in the pokey for DUI. When he got sprung, I decided to play a cruel joke on him by offering him a beer during the carride home. Only it wouldn't be a beer, see, it'd be one of these O'Doul's thingamabobs.

He gets out and we hand him an O'Douls. He don't even look at it, just unscrews it and starts drinking. We're waiting for him to spit it out, you know, since it tastes so hideously unlike beer. But he doesn't. He keeps sipping it. Eventually we get a little anxious and ask him doesn't the beer taste crappy and he says, no, actually, it's not great but it's pretty good.

And you know something? He was right. This might be Anheuser's best-tasting regular offering. It doesn't pour that great, but it smells like a crisp European pils hopped at medium strength. No adjunct nastiness at all. Tastes about on a par with their discontinued World Lager--kinda like Stella only with a less bitter malt profile. There is a certain emptiness on the backend, where the booziness should be, but it's not nearly as pronounced as I had anticipated.

Yes, it doesn't get you drunk. But aside from that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I guess this whole time I *have* actually been drinking beer mostly because it tastes good!

09-27-2009 16:01:59 | More by mynie
clayrock81

2.13/5  rDev +3.9%

I drank this once before I was 21 when a friend of mine was stealing a beer from different 6-packs from his work. For some reason, he grabbed a couple of these and I haven't seen since the other night when I went to drink at my "recovering" alcoholic sister-in-law's house.
clear, yellowish body that has no smell really. Taste is light and airy, a tad sweetness is overpowered by barley and water. This stuff doesn't dry out the mouth, which is good. Then again, that's because there is nothing in here except water and barley. I will take a soda anyday, but I guess I can see why people trying to quit alcohol but still like a cold "beer" here and there will spend money on it.

02-12-2008 20:15:04 | More by clayrock81
Suds

2.3/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

As the designated driver at a wedding, after a few Saranacs, I switched to NA beer for the evening. I’ve had O’Douls in the past, but this was the first time I’d had it in years. It’s yellow, very clear, and presents a moderate white head. The aroma reminds me of cereal grains and seltzer water. There’s not a lot of flavor, but it tastes similar to an average macro. I’m not a soda drinker, and I wouldn’t mind having this again, if I didn’t have a choice.

06-27-2004 20:44:59 | More by Suds
tgbljb

2.83/5  rDev +38%

poured a very pale yellow color with a large head head to start that quickly left. Smell is very grainy with the same maltiness (somewhat unpleasant but possible to get used to) in other low or no alcohol beers. Taste is somewhat sweet and not enjoyable at first, but improves with subsequent tastes. Finishe is wet and kind of refreshing. OK for an NA.

12-11-2005 00:51:02 | More by tgbljb
Metalmonk

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department.

08-08-2011 22:57:27 | More by Metalmonk
Floydster

2.65/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle at a local restaurant when I had to drive a far distance afterwards

For the fake person you know who always pretends to be drunk, play a trick on them with this, because they would throw up before feeling a thing from this one with its ABV below one

Golden color with no head or smell

Did not taste like much of anything

Could drink these all day because it is practically water with some barley thrown in the mix

09-12-2007 06:48:24 | More by Floydster
cjgator3

2.88/5  rDev +40.5%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is mostly grain with just a touch of hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is light grain and not much else. Clean, crisp and refreshing. Nothing more, nothing less.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- I tried to review this beer for what it is. A light beer with very little alcohol. I was not expecting a huge complex beer or something that would knock my socks off. For what it is, it is a pretty decent brew to knock back a few of them in a sitting without getting a buzz.

03-01-2010 20:09:29 | More by cjgator3
Overlord

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

Surprised that the ABV is that high, actually.

Pours a clear looking yellow. Foamy, sudsy head. No real smell to speak of, just a whiff of vegetable and ... I don't know what.

Taste has some malt sweetness, but it's too sugary. Nothing else there in this watery, bland, horrid substance.

Not beer.

02-17-2008 04:55:18 | More by Overlord
Reagan1984

2.9/5  rDev +41.5%

O.K., I recently did a scan of which beer styles I have not covered and Low Alcohol was one that I needed to check off the list. Truth be told, I didn't even know they were handled by the site. Anyway, my sister-in-law drinks the stuff and there are sometimes a couple sitting around my house. So for the sake of completing the style list. Here goes.

Finger and a ½ of fluffy white head forms atop a crystal clear light gold beer. Sporadic carbonation quickly escapes to the top of the glass. The head does fade rather quickly to a thin film of foam. No lacing.

Aroma is very light and of grass and light hops.

Have to admit the flavor is better than I would have expected. Just very light. I think I am tasting corn. Some grains at any rate, a light sweetness and almost no hop bitterness.

The body is where there is an issue, really water like and thin. Finishes rather clean though.

Well, its very drinkable as a beverage, but not in the sense of drinkable for a beer. Wanting more, etc.

I can't totally pan this one.

06-28-2009 23:37:01 | More by Reagan1984
garymuchow

2.98/5  rDev +45.4%

Big full head with gold color. Looks like a typical Am. lager. Mostly sweet water aroma with some tinniness/metalic qualities, with some malt. Taste is non-distinct, yet somehow not excessively watery. Little less of sweet water taste than many. Some metalic tones. Seems a little less thin that many, with a satifactory carbonation. Other than being a N/A, there is nothing terrifically wrong with this. It'll do if a N/A is required, but the European ones are generally better.

11-24-2002 15:24:06 | More by garymuchow
bditty187

Nebraska

2.03/5  rDev -1%

Sickly pale gold, translucent, minimal animation, underdeveloped soapy white head, no retention, no lace. The nose is uninviting, husky, grainy… funky… smells like Science Diet dog food. Rather flavorless, husky, grainy with a minimal influence of hops or malt… a whisper of cooked vegetables. Quick finish; empty… no enjoyment in drinking this one. Moderate carbonation, medium-light body, this part of O’Doul’s is decent. If you want an N/A try a Clausthaler Premium and if you’re just thirsty, drink water.

06-03-2003 13:01:09 | More by bditty187
UncleJimbo

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz green bottle with twist off cap.

This beer poured a clear yellow color with white foam that settled to a thin coat on the surface of the beer. The smell was not so bad, at least it was beer-like. There was some malt aroma and a touch of sweetness (corn?). The taste was lightly sweet (again, is this brewed with corn?) and a very low malt flavor. These give way to discernible hops at the finish. The mouthfeel was overall dry with very light body and low carbonation. A grain sweetness and faint hops linger in the finish. This was an OK beer for what it is, and if you are going alcohol free, it would be an OK choice.

07-03-2009 22:43:31 | More by UncleJimbo
RBorsato

So begins my quest for a nice N/A....

Clear straw color with a nice white head at first and very active carbonation pretty much throughout. Prominent corn adjunct aroma and flavor but not any more so than the standard A-B offerings. Very light bodied. Crisp and clean and not much different than other alcoholic macros which would make it diff to distinguish blind I would think.

Per label:

02-02-2006 19:00:35 | More by RBorsato
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

1.75/5  rDev -14.6%

After hockey game freebie (though I`ve had this many times over the years):

In a pint glass:

A: super clear light yellow body yields a half finger head that immediately dies, streams of bubbles rise at a moderate pace, lacing tries to cling here and there but slides then stops repeatedly

S: cooked corn, rice, light malts

T: bland cooked corn slightly sweet but construed as off-putting

M: do I really have to say something here, look at the abv and you tell me if this is sesssionable, just too light, kinda makes Bud Light look like a heavy beer

O: this is a "low alcohol beer" by style, so I`m wondering is it necessary to go any further other than - good for style but not one I would seek out, and yes I pounded this b/c my body was craving after hockey calories

02-27-2013 05:34:13 | More by BeerKangaroo
rye726

Colorado

1.43/5  rDev -30.2%

This was my first and only non alcoholic beer ever. I just can't justify this over water. It looks ok with a yellow color and faint tan head. Neither the nose or taste are anything worth while. Bland bitter grains. The body is light and fizzy like soda. I really will never drink this again.

05-20-2008 06:18:17 | More by rye726
allengarvin

2.55/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light!

03-27-2009 20:00:06 | More by allengarvin
Pegasus

3.25/5  rDev +58.5%

Light golden color with sparkling clarity, a small white head, lively streams of carbonation, excellent lace. The appearance is absolutely correct for a light American lager. Solid malt aroma with moderate hop notes. Taste begins with solid grain flavors and much less of the sticky sweetness often found in NA beers, carbonation stings slightly to good effect. The hops that are present in the aroma are largely absent from the taste, save for perhaps a whisper. Finish is clean and dry. The mouth feel is fairly good. Considering that this is a non-alcoholic beer, it’s a remarkably good effort.

03-27-2003 18:58:50 | More by Pegasus