O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
to view more.
Ratings: 212 | Reviews: 116
2.93/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

For what it is, it is tolerable.

1.22/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Drank as a joke... Tastes like dirty water.

Pours to a generous white head and light amber color. Aroma is weak caramel malt and a hint of hops. Flavor is a watered down but not unpleasant sweet malt and touch of hops and a nice seltzer finish. These NAs are not going to taste like real beer because alcohol is the glue that holds all the flavors together. But this is pretty damn close.

3.2/5  rDev +46.1%

Look: looks like a light brown ale/beer more so than what one would consider amber.

Smell: smells like what you would want to consider a nut brown ale too, sweet, caramel, malt, you might get lucky and pick up some hops.

Taste: I personally like it; according to the bottle it is made with two row caramel malt and some type of hops, and it gives me a taste resembling a combination of cream soda and a weak nut brown ale.

Feel: pretty thin like water, or soda with average carbonation, but typical head retention and lacing. It looks more like a beer than it drinks.

Overall: I have tried four NA beers now as I vowed to abstain from regular alcohol, and this one is my favorite thus far. Clausthaler is too bitter and metallic, Kaliber is way to sweet and funky, Coors NA tastes just like Coors, and this tastes like a soft nut brown ale with cream soda. It's not too sweet, but sweeter than normal beer with enough malt to remind you this isn't soda.

I drank this at an industry function; it was the only beer at the time whose name I didn't recognize, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Its taste reminded reminded me of beer a little and was inoffensive. At the time, I didn't know this was an NA beer so I was wondering how I could put away two bottles of it and not feel anything.

If my choices were the same again (Bud, Bud Light or O'Doul's Amber), I'd probably opt for a water fountain. But if I HAD to have a "beer" from those choices, this would be the one.

Not horrible. Enough said.

1.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured a clear amber color. Head is white and well formed. Aroma is worse than its lighter brother, O'Doul's Lager. Sweet, shredded paper that would customarily be used at the bottom of a reptile's terrarium. Flavor has some light, sweet amber malt and nothing further. Body is light as all get out. Bubbly carbonation. Never had a N/A beer before. Funny to try.

Can.

2.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is clear amber orange in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a small patch of bubbles in the center and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of cream soda are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has light amounts of sweetness along with faint hints of malts. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied, slightly smooth and a little watery on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer doesn't have the chemical or "off" flavors you would normally expect from a low alcohol beer, but seems to taste more like a malty version of a cream soda compared to a beer.

1.94/5  rDev -11.4%

Got a single bottle on a lark. Wow, not twist off! Amber in color as advertised with big 'ol bubbles in the clear body. That's not barley I smell, is it? Sweet, bland grain. No hop presence. Smells challenging. Tastes less offensive than it smells, so I'd actually recommend swigging this from the bottle (wait, don't). Still, just a faint reminder of beer with mild hints of honey. Sweet is the prominent flavor, finishing with weird bitterness. This would be my first drainpour if I weren't such a glutton for punishment. I'm doing this dammit, but never again.

2.42/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Out of the bottle it makes a solid and very clear nice amber orange to bronze body. Nice rising carbonation, and a creamy three finger very bright white head. No lacing or retention but pretty long staying power and manages a decent puck to collar while waiting. Looks like an amber to me.

Smells like one too. Simple mix of sweet caramel, some fruity yeast like esters sort of strawberry, a little toasty light brown bread grain quality. Seems pretty straightforward, no complaints here.

Oh boy is this a surprise on the palate. This tastes like complete malt extract and sweet Jemima syrup. Shockingly sweet and more unexpected since the nose really seemed to deliver some variation. Finishes with some cola sweetness as well which just comes off weird. Thick bodied and syrup feel coating as well.

This comes out more like a caramel soda than a beer. Even for NA brew, it really doesn't offer much, and it's just way too sweet for my tastes.

2.07/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a clear copper-ish amber in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light brown + amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy and toasted grain malts.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of grainy and toasted grain malts with light amounts of bitterness in the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Watery.

O: Not much going on here with this beer - very light aromas and flavors along with a somewhat watery body.

1.92/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance- Pours up some head (about 3 or 4 fingers) and has basically no retention. It lasted long enough for me to see that it was an off white color with hints of yellow. The body is medium to dark amber with slight maroon notes which glows a medium amber when held up to the light. No lacing at all.

Nose- Fairly typical for an AAL. Slight grain, not much else. Maybe a hint of caramel from the bottle. When I swirl it (violently), I get some corn and cornflakes. While I don't like these flavors in a beer or a low alcohol beer, I really have to work to notice them.

Taste- Once again, fairly typical for an AAL. Lots of grain but not much else. Some cereal notes. Pretty watery and thin. A sour, metallic finish starts to build up as it warms. It's not as bad as in a lot of lagers but it does not bode well as I was about to mention there are no real off flavors. A bit of a vinous quality. Some white grape. Boring flavor profile that lacks presence and integration. Cornflake start to show near the end.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with some syrup. It had some carbonation but that is all gone. This is not the type of beverage (low alcohol or not) that you drink without carbonation. If you want serve your non-alcoholic beer drinks, pump some carbon dioxide in there. Or don't- I really don't care.

Drinkability- Easy going because it's so damn watery. But it's also very boring. And barely carbonated. And what's that other problem...

Overall- Pretty on par with BMC when it comes to the nose and taste. Nice body, but a failure in overall appearance. Mouthfeel is just a failure. Drinkability is pointless. Because of all this, it is beneath BMC overall. Poor beer. The only reason to try this is if you are a ticker. And I am. I can go back to regular beer now- this style designation has been had and reviewed.

2.42/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pours a clear light amber colour, finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Bread crusts, candied sugar and a hint of honey.

T - Sweet corn, buttered bread, candied caramel, apple cider and grainy finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - Bearing in mind the style, it's the best sample of the style I've tried, but it's certainly not something many would enjoy. If I'm the DD I'll drink this for fun, but apart from that I'd pass.

2.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml bottle poured into tulip 9/6/13

A clear golden liquid with a few bubbles but a large well sustained three finger foam that has great retention slowly falling to an island leaving a couple partial rings of lace, looks the part

S Styrofoam, and cardboard, reminds me of opening a stryo-shipper from a trading buddy, some pennies and dry malt

T what I smell but with some soggy cornflakes, I might finish it if there was a little booze but this "brews" just wrecking perfectly good water

M feels about right, light bodied with lots of bubbles but I could live without the aftertaste of soggy cereal

O no need to finish this one, if I ever had to quit drinking I doubt I'd tease myself with this

Really? I've gotten to this level of ticking? I'm ashamed of myself, I'm about to drink a big BB aged stout I swear

2.48/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I will start off by stating my context: I've never had a low (or non) alcohol beer before, and I have low (or non) expectations.

Pours a clear amber, with a fizzy head, and coarse carbonation. Doesn't look bad, honestly. If I saw it in a glass in front of me without knowing what it was, I'd want to smell it. It smells bready and sweet. It smells like a lager, but sweeter.

Taste is too sweet...some straw. Nothing interesting. Exceedingly boring, but not distasteful.

Mouthfeel is flat (surprising for the apparent carbonation).

Overall, I'm glad this was a "gift" (after I gifted this person a Rochefort 10).

1.7/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: unk

It's amber, brilliant clarity and looks still after the quick dissipation of loose light cream foam. Smells sweet with some beefy character and a little tea quality. Taste is metallic with oxidized grains and some oversteeped red tea. Thin bodied with low carb and a astringently abrasive finish. No likey.

2.23/5  rDev +1.8%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Meh, who needs alcohol? This stuff pours a clear copper topped by a finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises warm, lightly-buttered bread. Yup, that's it. I know, I'm kinda surprised, too. The taste is grainier, like less polished bread, with a touch of vague fruitiness tossed in for apparently good measure. Then everything is watered down. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, I'm not sure why they bothered to take out the alcohol here, except to save the company from being derided for releasing a really crappy beer that may actually be able to eventually get you drunk. This stuff, on the other hand, is purposeless.

2.69/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - see-through amber with a soft, thin layer of pure white head that has decent retention

S - sweet, doughy, faintly metallic

T - bready, grainy, metallic, sweet

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

The odd metallic notes ruined any chance for this one. There's a nice attempt at a malt presence, but its sweet and there are no hops for balance. This was only $.89 for a single. I bought it for this review. I won't be buying another one.

2.85/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some fruit and a faint touch of hops

T: The taste starts out with a mild sweetness from flavors of caramel, fruit & honey. Then a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in along with a very light hops presence to create a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a fairly decent beer for the style.

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When you want a beer, but just not so near.

Effervescent as all budmilloors are. Head sticks around only because it is bubbling so much. minimal lacing. More like a pale copper than an amber.

Slightly malty in the aroma, but nothing going on really.

Short and kinda sweet for taste. Largely adjunct production.

Hints of dryness lingering in the feel but overwhelmingly bubbly action.

Worth a try, let this be a lesson why alcoholism should be avoided at all costs.

2.91/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance: Pale amber. Pours a medium, airy head. Carbonation is evident.

Aroma: Light, sweet malt, not much to it.

Taste: Rather sweet, typical for a low alcohol beer. The malt is pleasant enough, but obviously there's very little body or depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation (for the style), a bit much for my taste though. Light bodied.

Overall: It's not bad for a low alcohol beer. I've had a few, and none of them are great of course, but they can be drinkable at least. This one is about average.

2.41/5  rDev +10%

A: Dull rustic orange with a pristine clarity reveals a light, spacious rise of effervesce. The head was a bit of surprise, frothy at a finger high with a sea-shell white color displaying a short rate of retention. Slight whispy lashes line the glass for lace.

S: Light metallic notes, with a very light dry toasted graininess. Really hard to get much out of this even after several minutes of constant agitation. Neutral.

T: The flavor was sweet caramel, toffee with some honey toasted cereal grains. A touch of fruitiness comes late in the game with a mixture of pear and oranges.

M: Light bodied with a creaminess and a quiet carbonation factor. A smudge of malt support.

O: An adequate example for the non-alcohol drinker though is a touch to sweet to indulge in multiples. A clean brew, a bit light and watery at times but is to be expected per non-alcohol styles. Better then anticipated but certainly not a substitute.

1.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Reviewed from notes. Had this last night at a get together and decided to review it since I drank it. Deciding to drink it was my first mistake. On to the notes:

Pours light amber with no head and no lacing. I was afraid to look at the date, and out of fear decided not to. All I can smell is grain and fake caramel. No hops, No good.

The aroma was a big nothing and so was the taste. Some grain and fake caramel. That was about it. I have a feeling this was an old bottle, but since I am not sure, I will call it as I taste it.

Thin, watery, not much carbonation. Just an abomination. How does anybody drink this as anything but morbid curiosity?

3.66/5  rDev +67.1%

Pours amber without head or lacing.

Smells grassy with cooked vegetables and wood.

Tastes like an adjunct lager. Some malt favors. Very smooth. No bite. Can't taste the grass, like other NAs.

Feels smooth. Doesn't bite, but thin.

Overall this is one of the better LABs. I prefer it out of the bottle versus a glass. And this may be crazy, but it's better as it warms a little. If you like beer but not alcohol (or if you like alcohol too much) this is a very good better. Next to Clausthaler, this may be the best.

4.54/5  rDev +107.3%

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off.

to view more.