O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
4.54/5  rDev +91.6%

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off. (1,169 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +72.2%

Pours a dark copper color with thin lace of head that doesn't dissipate completely. Smells like a macro lager except with a little more malty aroma. The taste is quite surprising. I have to give it a five because even though it doesn't have as much flavor as a beer with normal level of alcohol, you can't get more flavor out of a low alcohol beer than this. It's malty and has a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is high carbonated and crisp. I would give this a higher drinkability rating, but you obvious can't get any buzz out of this. (534 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +60.3%

This, and it's pale brother, are my go to quaffs when my missus says "You ain't drinking tonight!" (She who must be obeyed!).

It's an amber-red in color trying to replicate the Irish Red style, pours a decent but short lived white fizzy head,taste is crisp clean and better than most so called "light" beers. Good for when you've had enough of the real thing, but you have to stay til closing time! (399 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +57%

I like this a lot, and regular ODouls as well. I had four of these today.

I usually prefer barley wine style, but let's face it- you don't always want to get lit or hungover. When you're a parent, that's more often than not.

This stuff is easily as good as any of the big lager swills like Bud, Milller, Pabst. You can drink all you like, which is tough to do with pop or beer usually.

Definitely not as bad as the rap it gets here. I wonder if you can legally drink it while driving? (487 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +55.3%

IT was not very different from the O'Douls one, but was a little more dissapointed with the flavor, is alittle heavier, and it makes it a little more annoying, perhaps. The colour is more green than ambar, but anyway, it is yellow after all. The aroma is proper for a beer like this, and maybe with some limes would be better. (326 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +54.4%

Pours amber without head or lacing.

Smells grassy with cooked vegetables and wood.

Tastes like an adjunct lager. Some malt favors. Very smooth. No bite. Can't taste the grass, like other NAs.

Feels smooth. Doesn't bite, but thin.

Overall this is one of the better LABs. I prefer it out of the bottle versus a glass. And this may be crazy, but it's better as it warms a little. If you like beer but not alcohol (or if you like alcohol too much) this is a very good better. Next to Clausthaler, this may be the best. (518 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +38.8%

I really thought, as far as nearbeers go, that this was a great beer. It's nothing that I would buy on a regular basis, but it's still noteworthy. I was expecting something horrid and nasty, but I got something a bit like a lighter version of Killians, but without the bite. The best thing about the beer was the awesome head I got in the beggining. The head was huge and frothy, and lasted a good little while. I would recommend this one to anyone looking to drink nonalcholic beer. (483 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +36.3%

a vigorous pour into a tumbler from a 12oz brown bottle yields a thick 2 inch rocky cream cap. The color is a brilliant mix of amber and gold with visible carbonation rising rapidly within. The lace clings well and the retention is of at least 1/2 inch. The smell is very bready with some grainy notes that are mildly sweet with slight metallic tinge and light caramel odor. The feel is decent with semi-full feel with slight sweetness and gentle creamy texture with slight hint of spice in the background. There is a light toasted accent which leads to a semi-dry finish.

The taste is better than I expected based on previous reviews and having sampled the Premium O'doul's recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the malt with some toasted and bready malt flavors which have a slight accent of caramel malt which gives a mild nuttiness as it finishes. I am not a fan of NA beers but if I had to choose this is the one that best emulates a regular beer so I consider it pretty good based on the style. It has a malt flavor which is more than most have to offer. (1,078 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +35%

Look: looks like a light brown ale/beer more so than what one would consider amber.

Smell: smells like what you would want to consider a nut brown ale too, sweet, caramel, malt, you might get lucky and pick up some hops.

Taste: I personally like it; according to the bottle it is made with two row caramel malt and some type of hops, and it gives me a taste resembling a combination of cream soda and a weak nut brown ale.

Feel: pretty thin like water, or soda with average carbonation, but typical head retention and lacing. It looks more like a beer than it drinks.

Overall: I have tried four NA beers now as I vowed to abstain from regular alcohol, and this one is my favorite thus far. Clausthaler is too bitter and metallic, Kaliber is way to sweet and funky, Coors NA tastes just like Coors, and this tastes like a soft nut brown ale with cream soda. It's not too sweet, but sweeter than normal beer with enough malt to remind you this isn't soda. (962 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +32.1%

First off this is a Low Alcohol beer, therefore don't expect a ton of flavor. Most people drink these types of beers for a reason and not by preference (in my humble opinion). If you need to drink a low alcohol beer this is the best one I have had so far. (257 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +32.1%

This is surprisingly good for a non-alcoholic brew. Even better than some of ABs other offerings.
Rich medium amber with quick fading head and little lace. Light to medium carbonation with quick rising malt sweetness. Slight malted flavor. Very little hop aroma or flavor, but has slight bitter bite. (306 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +31.2%

Gimped up from foot surgery, this is the strongest tipple I can throw back for a while.

Pours a decent light...well, amber (or a deep golden, as PopeDX, sitting next to me commented). Nice, foamy, but thick head, with tight, rising bubbles to the top. Leaves decent lacing as the glass is drained.

Aroma is nice, with a notable caramel malt presence, and a light noble hop backing. Not offensive in the least.

Taste, as with any N/A beer, is going to suffer, but this still has a lot going for it. Unlike many N/As, this is relatively dry, with a clean lager snap from the yeast, with a touch of malty, grainy tannin to let you know, that, yes, this is beer, made from grain. Deceivingly beer-like. The score is low, yes, but this was far better than expected.

Mouthfeel is spot-on, crisp and clean, never overwhelming. If there's one thing that Anheuser-Busch does extremely well, it's mouthfeel. Well done here.

Drinkability....well, we were debating how many it would take to get you drunk (there is some alcohol in here, after all), but, before that, I think that only a few of these would get to be too much for the palate. Put it this way -- I ended up drinking two of these, and one regular O'Doul over the time we spent at the bar. If we had stayed for another round, I would have easily gone for another Amber.

All in all, no, this isn't on par with many beers out there, but for an N/A brew, it's hard to go wrong with this. I imagine this would be excellent to throw back while doing a weekend construction project in your backyard, if Radlers and other things like that aren't your style.

I'm actually impressed! Well done, and cheers to Anheuser-Busch for making a N/A beer that can be found in almost any bar in the world. There are a lot of temporarily (and non-temporarily) dry folks out there who still like to have a beer or two. (1,855 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +30%

Reviewed with the NA beer consideration. Numbers do not compare to regular beers, only other NAs.

A - Small read reduces to ring, then nothing. Some sudsy lacing. Straw with just a splash of red tint to it. Kinda like a slight concentrated macro.

S - Light malty and a little metallic.

T - Sweet malt, some hop note, but not much. Pretty dry finish.

M - Pretty thin, but good coating.

D - C'mon, it's pretty drinkable. Doesn't get you messed up, not filling at less than 100 cal per, and it doesn't taste too different than the malt tea I make.

I think it's jes fine! (573 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +30%

Poured a very light clear copper with an awesome rocky head. Aroma was sweet with some malt and a bit of hops as well. Not exactly beer-smelling, but pleasant. Lots of malt in the flavor, and some off-tastes as well. Did have some beer-like richness and a bit of bitterness in the background. Mouthfeel was a little watery; could have used a bit more oomph. Drinkability was pretty good for a N/A.

An above average representative of the style. Makes a nice substitute for the real thing when the need arises. (511 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +29.1%

A bottle poured into a plastic cup. It was around, so I grabbed it.

A: The beer is very amber, a caramel brown color with a finger of white head. The color is just dark enough to leave it opaque.

S: The aroma is loaded with bready malts and a semi-sweet caramel flavor. Not the most exciting but very unusual.

T: The maltiness is upfront, caramel and bread throw all they've got at you. Following them are, well, very little. Hops are an afterthought and any boozy warmth has been neutered. The result is a bready soda water with few redeeming qualities. I'd rather stick with Budweiser.

M: Malty, loaded with semi-sweet caramel. This beer isn't afraid to show off that side. The hoppiness is more muted with a 'nothing to see here' mentality.

D: One was enough. Yeah, I ticked the style, waddya want me to say? I'd prefer my beer with booze in it. (853 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +29.1%

"Rich and Flavorful" it says. We will see about that.

Clear, faint amber color, big, creamy off-white head. Nice.

Wisps of grain and cereal...hardly any hops. But not bad. Just the barest of anything, I guess.

Taste: Hmmm. Smooth. Light tickle of hops, agreeable cereal mash flavor...good and moist...light bodied, to be sure.
I pull to my lips again, and am left not unsatisfied. If I couldn't have alcohol, and wanted to fit into a social situation where others where drinking, this wouldn't be bad.
I'm not sure why this gets such low marks, if anyone's reviewing to style. You really can't compare it to real beer. Heck, it's probably better than a lot of beer with alcohol.

It has flavor, not necessarily rich, better more than you expect. Long finish, malty, dry. It's missing something, but ... isn't that the reason it exists?

So, not a bad fill-in for those who need it.
(A little ashamed I'm praising an A-B product, but, hey, it is what it is. And it ain't bad, for that.) (993 characters)

Pours to a generous white head and light amber color. Aroma is weak caramel malt and a hint of hops. Flavor is a watered down but not unpleasant sweet malt and touch of hops and a nice seltzer finish. These NAs are not going to taste like real beer because alcohol is the glue that holds all the flavors together. But this is pretty damn close. (345 characters)

I drank this at an industry function; it was the only beer at the time whose name I didn't recognize, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Its taste reminded reminded me of beer a little and was inoffensive. At the time, I didn't know this was an NA beer so I was wondering how I could put away two bottles of it and not feel anything.

If my choices were the same again (Bud, Bud Light or O'Doul's Amber), I'd probably opt for a water fountain. But if I HAD to have a "beer" from those choices, this would be the one. (518 characters)

My curiosity got the best of me, so I had to try this here near beer.

I think it's got a nice, crisp, clean taste.
It ressembles beer.
There isn't anything here that would make me want to buy it again, but for anyone who is in search of a good NA beer, this one has to be at least a decent place to start. (307 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +26.2%

Appearance - Clear light amber. Bubbly. Head is soapy, tall and white. Receeds pretty quickly. Nice for style.

Smell - Very faint, almost undetectable. Just a hint of chocolately or caramely malt and lemony hops.

Taste - Very light in flavor. There is, however, definitely a caramel malt flavor to this beer. Hops also pretty light, but present - appears well-balanced. For style, one could do much worse. The flavor is, as expected, watered down, but this beer provides more and better flavor than many of its ilk.

Mouthfeel - Obviously quite light and highly carbonated. Nothing unusual.

Drinkability - I felt like a dork buying this. While this is better than O'Doul's regular, it's certainly not good. Possibly one of the better beers in its category, but the category is rather uninspired. (806 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +24.9%

This beer pours with a coarse white head that's finer/denser in the middle. It leaves some nice, smooth lacing.

It has a very subtle smell: slightly caramel, slightly sour.

The taste starts very light, metallic, a little corny. The middle is slightly cloying caramel. The finish is a little sour, coming back with somewhat skunky burps. I like this NA way more than the green O'Doul's. It's a good alternative to soda pop when alcohol is off limits. (455 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +22.8%

Appearance: Pale amber. Pours a medium, airy head. Carbonation is evident.

Aroma: Light, sweet malt, not much to it.

Taste: Rather sweet, typical for a low alcohol beer. The malt is pleasant enough, but obviously there's very little body or depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation (for the style), a bit much for my taste though. Light bodied.

Overall: It's not bad for a low alcohol beer. I've had a few, and none of them are great of course, but they can be drinkable at least. This one is about average. (513 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

OK, I had tried the original O'Doul's late last year, after a visit to my in-law's house over Thanksgiving. My father -in-law can't drink alcoholic beer, and the O'Doul's is as close as he can get. And like it's stablemate, O'Doul's Amber is actually a pretty good N/A beer. Fact is, it's better than most alcoholic light beers, in my opinion. I got a couple of cool pieces of information from the labeling, too. This beer has only 90 calories, no doubt due to absence of the alcohol. At 18 grams of carbs, it's also good for those pursuing that Atkins diet thingie.

Pours with a healthy, frothy head. Fairly nice amber coloring. The head actually lasts a little while. Not much nose to the sample.

Taste was not bad at all. All malt, though. The label makes a big deal of the "blend of domestic and imported hops", but I don't know where they are. Still, a nice malt profile. I felt like the Amber had a little bit less of a full-bodied taste that the original O'Doul's. It's slightly weaker in tone, less of a fulfilling substitute for an alcoholic beer. Still, not bad, though.

Watery mouthfeel. Simple and uncomplicated finish. This is not a complex brew by any standards.

Very drinkable, though. Being a N/A beer, you could slam this one all night. Try it if you are in a situation where an alcoholic beer is not an option. This would be most excellent on a hot day, after some exertion. Alcoholic beers would dehydrate, but you could drop this one back almost like water. (1,491 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some fruit and a faint touch of hops

T: The taste starts out with a mild sweetness from flavors of caramel, fruit & honey. Then a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in along with a very light hops presence to create a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a fairly decent beer for the style. (741 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +16.5%

Crystal-clear light amber color with an inch thick cloudtop head, moderate carbonation, quite good lace. Aroma consists of faint caramel and little else. Taste begins with tingling carbonation, followed by mild caramel and toasted malts, finishes dry and slightly sour. Mouthfeel is good. Overall, a fairly decent NA beer and worth a try. (338 characters)

O'Doul's Amber from Anheuser-Busch