O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros

vwbus7, Jun 29, 2014

Lare453, Apr 04, 2013

MammothTarantula, Mar 04, 2014

KevieJames, Apr 30, 2012
1.08/5  rDev -50.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an American pint glass forming a weak sliver of a head that left no lacing and went away as quickly as it formed. A light amber/ruby color. Looks like Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Didn't really smell or taste of anything that resembled beer. Maybe faint malt?

Light with soda like carbonation on the palate.

Blah!! No good, and a poor substitute for real beer. If you must drink a NA for whatever reason, DO NOT make it this one.

Sycodrummer, Mar 01, 2005
1.13/5  rDev -48.2%

This beer pours a very light yellow/Amber, clear. The head was a very small white fizzy (blink of an eye and it was gone) head. So it is not impressive but it is not repulsive yet. I am afraid it only goes down hill from there. The smell is actually BAD! It makes me pull away like I smelled dirty socks. Is there a rating below 1? like a zero or something. The taste is bad two. Tastes very sour and skunked, not at all like beer. There are no hop or malt characteristics at all. There is some sort of artificial syrup flavor trying to make this sweet enough to get past the sour skunkiness. It fails at making this a drinkable beer. I could hardly keep it in my mouth long enough to think about the mouthfeel it seriously made me shudder. I have never dumped out an unfinished beer before, even if it was bad. This was a first. I have also never had a beer this bad before. This is my first time drinking a NA beer. I don't know if they are all like this or not. I certainly can see NO redeeming characteristics that would justify buying O'Doul's Amber. It may suffice for cooking but I don't think I'll personally risk it. That is just my opinion.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
I have since had other N/A beers and the truth is it can be done a heck of a lot better than O'Doul's Amber. I may have had a skunked bottle because another BA described it to me as sweet but, I am in no hurry to find out.
---

Phatz, Jan 06, 2006
1.15/5  rDev -47.2%

Like the beers of anheuser busch, had an abuse of adjoincts in rice an other grains; poor in taste and mouthfeel, no comments inappearance, taste and drinkability, smell a little hops and malt, rice and corn; recommended if case on american food no try this beer with mexican, its flavor not go with powerful taste of this food.

tesguino, Oct 13, 2005
1.15/5  rDev -47.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint.

Decent amber coloring no head to speak of. But very blah.

Smells like someone put three packets of Splenda in it.

Taste is awful. WAY to sweet with no hop balance. It tasted like I was drinking a liquidated and watered down caramel sweet.

Awful. Purely awful.

ghostmech007, Aug 14, 2008
1.18/5  rDev -45.9%

I think this is O'Douls with a bit of red food coloring. It pours amber and has a short lived fizzy head. The body is light and again a bit fizzy. Not much flavor here. Just some light grains. The nose is like old cut grass. I don't think I'll be having this again, actually I'm sure of it.

rye726, Oct 31, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -45%

Bright amber colour though not much upstairs. Smells artificially sweet with some hop oil and malt sugar. The taste is even worse, sickly sweet with little hop to balance. Tastes like artificial caramel … perhaps the worst near beer I have had to date.

Jason, Jul 14, 2003

AKuehn47, Aug 01, 2013

maketheheartglad, Jul 31, 2012

davemathews68, Oct 28, 2013
1.43/5  rDev -34.4%

12oz bottle (on sale at the local grocery store for $0.50 per bottle) into a Michelob pilsner glass.

Not a half-bad pour; surprisingly good head retention to the creamy sawdust inch of foam, likely a result of the lager-like levels of carbonation rising up through the golden-copper body. Good lacing to boot. Pale & clear color, but a bit light to be called "Amber". Mineral crispness and a hint of cooked corn in the nose. Some sweetness from the malts and perhaps the tiniest hint of hops, but a rather unimpressive aroma.

Oh man, this is awful stuff. Sourish minerals all across the tongue with notes of over-cooked frozen vegetables. Like bad mineral water...no traces of the label-touted "Two-row and specialty caramel malts" or hops of any sort. Body is not as thin as one might think for a 0.5% ABV, and has some decent creaminess to the carbonation, but the off-flavors and sour crispness are equal parts distracting and disgusting. My excuses? I guess I was curious, and the price was right. After all, this is my first Low Alcohol Beer review. Never again though...I learned my lesson.

wagenvolks, Dec 16, 2009
1.48/5  rDev -32.1%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle. Date of bottling printed on label.

Bright amber color, clear. Thin off white head.

Light hop aroma, and a jumble of artificial caramel aromas.

Sweet, and fake tasting. The hops that were barely there in the nose are completely gone. Light and fluffy. Drain pour.

xgrigorix, Nov 28, 2005
1.48/5  rDev -32.1%

Reviewed from notes. Had this last night at a get together and decided to review it since I drank it. Deciding to drink it was my first mistake. On to the notes:

Pours light amber with no head and no lacing. I was afraid to look at the date, and out of fear decided not to. All I can smell is grain and fake caramel. No hops, No good.

The aroma was a big nothing and so was the taste. Some grain and fake caramel. That was about it. I have a feeling this was an old bottle, but since I am not sure, I will call it as I taste it.

Thin, watery, not much carbonation. Just an abomination. How does anybody drink this as anything but morbid curiosity?

hardy008, Oct 31, 2011