O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.09/5  rDev -54%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an American pint glass forming a weak sliver of a head that left no lacing and went away as quickly as it formed. A light amber/ruby color. Looks like Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Didn't really smell or taste of anything that resembled beer. Maybe faint malt?

Light with soda like carbonation on the palate.

Blah!! No good, and a poor substitute for real beer. If you must drink a NA for whatever reason, DO NOT make it this one. (465 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -51.9%

This beer pours a very light yellow/Amber, clear. The head was a very small white fizzy (blink of an eye and it was gone) head. So it is not impressive but it is not repulsive yet. I am afraid it only goes down hill from there. The smell is actually BAD! It makes me pull away like I smelled dirty socks. Is there a rating below 1? like a zero or something. The taste is bad two. Tastes very sour and skunked, not at all like beer. There are no hop or malt characteristics at all. There is some sort of artificial syrup flavor trying to make this sweet enough to get past the sour skunkiness. It fails at making this a drinkable beer. I could hardly keep it in my mouth long enough to think about the mouthfeel it seriously made me shudder. I have never dumped out an unfinished beer before, even if it was bad. This was a first. I have also never had a beer this bad before. This is my first time drinking a NA beer. I don't know if they are all like this or not. I certainly can see NO redeeming characteristics that would justify buying O'Doul's Amber. It may suffice for cooking but I don't think I'll personally risk it. That is just my opinion.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
I have since had other N/A beers and the truth is it can be done a heck of a lot better than O'Doul's Amber. I may have had a skunked bottle because another BA described it to me as sweet but, I am in no hurry to find out.
--- (1,428 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -50.6%

Like the beers of anheuser busch, had an abuse of adjoincts in rice an other grains; poor in taste and mouthfeel, no comments inappearance, taste and drinkability, smell a little hops and malt, rice and corn; recommended if case on american food no try this beer with mexican, its flavor not go with powerful taste of this food. (328 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -50.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint.

Decent amber coloring no head to speak of. But very blah.

Smells like someone put three packets of Splenda in it.

Taste is awful. WAY to sweet with no hop balance. It tasted like I was drinking a liquidated and watered down caramel sweet.

Awful. Purely awful. (293 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -50.2%

I think this is O'Douls with a bit of red food coloring. It pours amber and has a short lived fizzy head. The body is light and again a bit fizzy. Not much flavor here. Just some light grains. The nose is like old cut grass. I don't think I'll be having this again, actually I'm sure of it. (290 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -48.9%

Bright amber colour though not much upstairs. Smells artificially sweet with some hop oil and malt sugar. The taste is even worse, sickly sweet with little hop to balance. Tastes like artificial caramel … perhaps the worst near beer I have had to date. (253 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -37.6%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle. Date of bottling printed on label.

Bright amber color, clear. Thin off white head.

Light hop aroma, and a jumble of artificial caramel aromas.

Sweet, and fake tasting. The hops that were barely there in the nose are completely gone. Light and fluffy. Drain pour. (308 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -37.6%

Reviewed from notes. Had this last night at a get together and decided to review it since I drank it. Deciding to drink it was my first mistake. On to the notes:

Pours light amber with no head and no lacing. I was afraid to look at the date, and out of fear decided not to. All I can smell is grain and fake caramel. No hops, No good.

The aroma was a big nothing and so was the taste. Some grain and fake caramel. That was about it. I have a feeling this was an old bottle, but since I am not sure, I will call it as I taste it.

Thin, watery, not much carbonation. Just an abomination. How does anybody drink this as anything but morbid curiosity? (650 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -37.1%

12oz bottle (on sale at the local grocery store for $0.50 per bottle) into a Michelob pilsner glass.

Not a half-bad pour; surprisingly good head retention to the creamy sawdust inch of foam, likely a result of the lager-like levels of carbonation rising up through the golden-copper body. Good lacing to boot. Pale & clear color, but a bit light to be called "Amber". Mineral crispness and a hint of cooked corn in the nose. Some sweetness from the malts and perhaps the tiniest hint of hops, but a rather unimpressive aroma.

Oh man, this is awful stuff. Sourish minerals all across the tongue with notes of over-cooked frozen vegetables. Like bad mineral water...no traces of the label-touted "Two-row and specialty caramel malts" or hops of any sort. Body is not as thin as one might think for a 0.5% ABV, and has some decent creaminess to the carbonation, but the off-flavors and sour crispness are equal parts distracting and disgusting. My excuses? I guess I was curious, and the price was right. After all, this is my first Low Alcohol Beer review. Never again though...I learned my lesson. (1,098 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -36.3%

Looks like a beer, pours like a beer... um, there the similarity ends. Fizzy head disappears faster than a 7up, smells like a sweetened Nestea. A halfway decent amber body for the "style," at least, but it tastes like watered-down Malto Goya (a Mexican malt soda). I had a whole six of this I was using for cooking; only when I was down to the last bottle (and I was off beer for Lent) did I consider actually tasting it. (421 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -35%

Have a few cans of this left over from a friend. Poured into a glass this is a light amber color with a cream colored head that was here, then gone! The aroma was mild with some hints of malt. The taste was very metallic and watery at the same time. There was not much taste of malt and maybe a syrupy sweetness that was out right gross. NA is not for me! (355 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -33.8%

A - Clear amber with a fizzy short-lived head and no lace.

S - Lightly toasty and pretty acrid....sort of smells like a watered down amber ale mixed with a really bitter pils.

T - Vinegary and a little bitter with some caramel and toast. Very weak....nearly flavorless really. You basically have to swish with it to taste anything.

M - Watery, thin, and flimsy.

D - If you really need to avoid alcohol, then I guess this isn't terrible, but your better off just drinking half of a real beer. (495 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -32.1%

Given to me by my good BA buddy cdkrenz...thanks (I think). This must be revenge for the Wild Blue I gave you.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a clear orange/amber body topped by a white foamy one finger head. The head dissipated to a foamy cap...the head is actually better than I thought it would be, leaving a little spotty lacing down the inside of my pint glass. Maybe it was a result of my aggressive pour.

S - Light sweet malt...not much else in the nose.

T & M - Wow...this stuff is watery! I drank a porter before this and this stuff pales greatly in comparison. I'm getting a metallic taste, maybe a little caramelized malt. Not much going on here. High carbonation lends to a rough mouthfeel.

D - I guess if you're forced to drink a NA beer, this may be a good one. I'm not one that is willing to sacrifice taste just to pretend to drink a beer though. I would rather drink water or soda if I'm a DD. (915 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a clean/clear amber color, some carbonation, nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is sweet, malty, and grainy. The taste is sweet, malty, not much going on here. Light Body. Not Drinkable, a drain pour. (256 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -30.4%

Rather straightforward look to this brew for a macro brew, which is to say - amber, quickly exiting white head and no lace effect. The smell is of malt sweetness and this is repeated in the flavor that tends to be overly sweet with little to balance it out. The feel is thin, watery, thin, nondescript, did I mention thin? Not drinkable due to a total lack of redeeeming value. (377 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured a dull straw yellow with a big white fizzy head. Lots of visible carbonation, but the fizzy yellow water type, no lace. The smell was very faint, if there at all. What I could pick up was maybe a hay, or wheat smell. Again very very faint, and hardly there at all. The taste was very light and non descript, but that is about what one would expect from a light lager. A light grain, just enough of a taste to know I was not drinking water would be the best way to describe it. Decent feel, again just the cold well carbonated. Crisp, and a clean finish, no aftertaste. Overall this was totally forgettable, as I imagined it would be. (640 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a clear amber with a frothy ivory head. No lacing to speak of. Smell is...it's got that Bud smell present in many of their beers, Not sure if I'm smelling rice or what. Very crisp smelling and woody (?). Not particularly pleasant.

The carbonation really masks alot of the flavor initially. Some malty, dark lager flavors. Lightly musty, almost smoky.
Thin and bland. Eh. (381 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: unk

It's amber, brilliant clarity and looks still after the quick dissipation of loose light cream foam. Smells sweet with some beefy character and a little tea quality. Taste is metallic with oxidized grains and some oversteeped red tea. Thin bodied with low carb and a astringently abrasive finish. No likey. (320 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -27.8%

This one I think is better than the Lager version they make. Just just a little bit more to it. I suppose it's just the difference in using the roasted malts over a lighter kind. What else can be said about this brew. It's at least got a nice color to it. (255 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured a clear amber color. Head is white and well formed. Aroma is worse than its lighter brother, O'Doul's Lager. Sweet, shredded paper that would customarily be used at the bottom of a reptile's terrarium. Flavor has some light, sweet amber malt and nothing further. Body is light as all get out. Bubbly carbonation. Never had a N/A beer before. Funny to try.

Can. (368 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -24.9%

A - Clear, pale copper body with a thin very pale tan head that fades... faded very quickly.

S - Malty aroma with little to offer.

T - It has an odd aftertaste and that which comes first isn't much better.

M - The texture is coarse throughout with with much of the feel to the roof of my mouth.

~ The label reads, "Rich & Flavorful" but I beg to differ. (358 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -24.1%

This beer was left at my house as a joke, but I will try it, as I don't believe I have ever tried an NA beer.

It looks enough like beer, the copper color is reminiscent to some of the best pale ales I have ever had. The head doesn't last that long, but is decent at first.

The smell is sweet and caramely, the cloying-sweetness of a kvass, perhaps? Not good, whatever it it going for.

This beer should just advertise itself as a kvass for the American palate. Sweet and carbonated, lightly caramely. Can i pick out many identifiers that would make me believe that this is a beer? Not really, if I couldn't drink beer anymore, I wouldn't drink this, this is no substitute for even a macro lager. Tastes fake and on e dimensional. (733 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I bought this a few days back because i want to cut down on my alcohol. I'm not a fan of this one.

appearance: comes out as a caramel colored amber. Head is tan that fizzled away like i a coke. it even made noises like coke

smell: honestly i dont think anything sticks out in the aroma

taste: at first sip it tastes ok to me but quickly gets worse. it tastes like hints of malts, but again really nothing

mouthfeel: not good. once a sip was in my mouth for more than i second, it had no body. really tasted like there was something missing (this is my first na beer so i dont know if this is normal)

drinkability: plain and simple- its not (654 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Pale amber color with a fair head.

Smell: Not much there, but maybe some light hops lingering in the background.

Taste: Pretty bland, but smooth. Some hop bitterness at the end, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This wasn't absolutely horrible or offensive, but with these Low Alcohol Beers, I just have to ask myself: What's the point? (407 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -19%

Bottle from loblaws- Pours transparent amber,and a short lived, off white head. Zero lace. The aromas are faint, and it smells like other NA beers. Pretty cardboard-ey, but perhaps due to the amber designation, they did use some decent malting here, which is detectable in the aroma. Caramel and toffee nuances as well. Flavour is bland, mild sweet malt with some paper/pepper/fillers. Spritzy finish, completely forgettable. But it’s the official NA beer of the PGA. (468 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last