2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul's AmberO'Doul's Amber

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 106 | Show All Ratings:
MADhombrewer

Oregon

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

My future mother in law got this for me because she heard that I have never had a beer from Odell Brewing. Bless her heart, she tried.

Appearance- Clear burnt orange with a good tight, white head. No lacing. 4/5

Smell- Caramel malts. I do not detect very much, if any, hop aroma. 3.5/5

Taste- This tastes like imitation caramel and other malts like imitation crab tastes like real crab. There is also a "twang" to it. I don't think I would attribute that to hops.
2/5

Mouthfeel- Virtually none. Very watery mouthfeel. 2/5

Overall- Not a beer I will ever buy. I simply can't get passed the fact that it has no alcohol. Other than that it is very pain and one dimensional. I did not finish the 12oz bottle. 1/5

05-20-2011 18:38:08 | More by MADhombrewer
dbrauneis

2.06/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a clear copper-ish amber in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light brown + amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy and toasted grain malts.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of grainy and toasted grain malts with light amounts of bitterness in the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Watery.

O: Not much going on here with this beer - very light aromas and flavors along with a somewhat watery body.

09-29-2013 22:50:20 | More by dbrauneis
artoolemomo

Oregon

1.91/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance- Pours up some head (about 3 or 4 fingers) and has basically no retention. It lasted long enough for me to see that it was an off white color with hints of yellow. The body is medium to dark amber with slight maroon notes which glows a medium amber when held up to the light. No lacing at all.

Nose- Fairly typical for an AAL. Slight grain, not much else. Maybe a hint of caramel from the bottle. When I swirl it (violently), I get some corn and cornflakes. While I don't like these flavors in a beer or a low alcohol beer, I really have to work to notice them.

Taste- Once again, fairly typical for an AAL. Lots of grain but not much else. Some cereal notes. Pretty watery and thin. A sour, metallic finish starts to build up as it warms. It's not as bad as in a lot of lagers but it does not bode well as I was about to mention there are no real off flavors. A bit of a vinous quality. Some white grape. Boring flavor profile that lacks presence and integration. Cornflake start to show near the end.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with some syrup. It had some carbonation but that is all gone. This is not the type of beverage (low alcohol or not) that you drink without carbonation. If you want serve your non-alcoholic beer drinks, pump some carbon dioxide in there. Or don't- I really don't care.

Drinkability- Easy going because it's so damn watery. But it's also very boring. And barely carbonated. And what's that other problem...

Overall- Pretty on par with BMC when it comes to the nose and taste. Nice body, but a failure in overall appearance. Mouthfeel is just a failure. Drinkability is pointless. Because of all this, it is beneath BMC overall. Poor beer. The only reason to try this is if you are a ticker. And I am. I can go back to regular beer now- this style designation has been had and reviewed.

08-14-2013 04:47:36 | More by artoolemomo
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

2.45/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Pours a clear light amber colour, finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Bread crusts, candied sugar and a hint of honey.

T - Sweet corn, buttered bread, candied caramel, apple cider and grainy finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - Bearing in mind the style, it's the best sample of the style I've tried, but it's certainly not something many would enjoy. If I'm the DD I'll drink this for fun, but apart from that I'd pass.

06-24-2013 00:49:39 | More by andrenaline
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml bottle poured into tulip 9/6/13

A clear golden liquid with a few bubbles but a large well sustained three finger foam that has great retention slowly falling to an island leaving a couple partial rings of lace, looks the part

S Styrofoam, and cardboard, reminds me of opening a stryo-shipper from a trading buddy, some pennies and dry malt

T what I smell but with some soggy cornflakes, I might finish it if there was a little booze but this "brews" just wrecking perfectly good water

M feels about right, light bodied with lots of bubbles but I could live without the aftertaste of soggy cereal

O no need to finish this one, if I ever had to quit drinking I doubt I'd tease myself with this

Really? I've gotten to this level of ticking? I'm ashamed of myself, I'm about to drink a big BB aged stout I swear

06-10-2013 05:35:39 | More by wordemupg
snaotheus

Washington

2.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I will start off by stating my context: I've never had a low (or non) alcohol beer before, and I have low (or non) expectations.

Pours a clear amber, with a fizzy head, and coarse carbonation. Doesn't look bad, honestly. If I saw it in a glass in front of me without knowing what it was, I'd want to smell it. It smells bready and sweet. It smells like a lager, but sweeter.

Taste is too sweet...some straw. Nothing interesting. Exceedingly boring, but not distasteful.

Mouthfeel is flat (surprising for the apparent carbonation).

Overall, I'm glad this was a "gift" (after I gifted this person a Rochefort 10).

02-13-2013 05:07:33 | More by snaotheus
harrymel

Washington

1.66/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: unk

It's amber, brilliant clarity and looks still after the quick dissipation of loose light cream foam. Smells sweet with some beefy character and a little tea quality. Taste is metallic with oxidized grains and some oversteeped red tea. Thin bodied with low carb and a astringently abrasive finish. No likey.

01-14-2013 01:19:27 | More by harrymel
TMoney2591

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Meh, who needs alcohol? This stuff pours a clear copper topped by a finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises warm, lightly-buttered bread. Yup, that's it. I know, I'm kinda surprised, too. The taste is grainier, like less polished bread, with a touch of vague fruitiness tossed in for apparently good measure. Then everything is watered down. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, I'm not sure why they bothered to take out the alcohol here, except to save the company from being derided for releasing a really crappy beer that may actually be able to eventually get you drunk. This stuff, on the other hand, is purposeless.

01-04-2013 23:40:18 | More by TMoney2591
tdm168

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - see-through amber with a soft, thin layer of pure white head that has decent retention

S - sweet, doughy, faintly metallic

T - bready, grainy, metallic, sweet

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

The odd metallic notes ruined any chance for this one. There's a nice attempt at a malt presence, but its sweet and there are no hops for balance. This was only $.89 for a single. I bought it for this review. I won't be buying another one.

09-14-2012 08:21:37 | More by tdm168
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.88/5  rDev +29.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some fruit and a faint touch of hops

T: The taste starts out with a mild sweetness from flavors of caramel, fruit & honey. Then a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in along with a very light hops presence to create a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a fairly decent beer for the style.

06-02-2012 22:04:18 | More by TheManiacalOne
BasementBer

Manitoba (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When you want a beer, but just not so near.

Effervescent as all budmilloors are. Head sticks around only because it is bubbling so much. minimal lacing. More like a pale copper than an amber.

Slightly malty in the aroma, but nothing going on really.

Short and kinda sweet for taste. Largely adjunct production.

Hints of dryness lingering in the feel but overwhelmingly bubbly action.

Worth a try, let this be a lesson why alcoholism should be avoided at all costs.

02-25-2012 00:25:35 | More by BasementBer
Arborescence

Finland

2.98/5  rDev +34.2%

Appearance: Pale amber. Pours a medium, airy head. Carbonation is evident.

Aroma: Light, sweet malt, not much to it.

Taste: Rather sweet, typical for a low alcohol beer. The malt is pleasant enough, but obviously there's very little body or depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation (for the style), a bit much for my taste though. Light bodied.

Overall: It's not bad for a low alcohol beer. I've had a few, and none of them are great of course, but they can be drinkable at least. This one is about average.

02-19-2012 23:09:52 | More by Arborescence
beerthulhu

2.42/5  rDev +9%

A: Dull rustic orange with a pristine clarity reveals a light, spacious rise of effervesce. The head was a bit of surprise, frothy at a finger high with a sea-shell white color displaying a short rate of retention. Slight whispy lashes line the glass for lace.

S: Light metallic notes, with a very light dry toasted graininess. Really hard to get much out of this even after several minutes of constant agitation. Neutral.

T: The flavor was sweet caramel, toffee with some honey toasted cereal grains. A touch of fruitiness comes late in the game with a mixture of pear and oranges.

M: Light bodied with a creaminess and a quiet carbonation factor. A smudge of malt support.

O: An adequate example for the non-alcohol drinker though is a touch to sweet to indulge in multiples. A clean brew, a bit light and watery at times but is to be expected per non-alcohol styles. Better then anticipated but certainly not a substitute.

01-26-2012 23:06:16 | More by beerthulhu
hardy008

1.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Reviewed from notes. Had this last night at a get together and decided to review it since I drank it. Deciding to drink it was my first mistake. On to the notes:

Pours light amber with no head and no lacing. I was afraid to look at the date, and out of fear decided not to. All I can smell is grain and fake caramel. No hops, No good.

The aroma was a big nothing and so was the taste. Some grain and fake caramel. That was about it. I have a feeling this was an old bottle, but since I am not sure, I will call it as I taste it.

Thin, watery, not much carbonation. Just an abomination. How does anybody drink this as anything but morbid curiosity?

10-31-2011 01:45:20 | More by hardy008
Burkesquire

3.7/5  rDev +66.7%

Pours amber without head or lacing.

Smells grassy with cooked vegetables and wood.

Tastes like an adjunct lager. Some malt favors. Very smooth. No bite. Can't taste the grass, like other NAs.

Feels smooth. Doesn't bite, but thin.

Overall this is one of the better LABs. I prefer it out of the bottle versus a glass. And this may be crazy, but it's better as it warms a little. If you like beer but not alcohol (or if you like alcohol too much) this is a very good better. Next to Clausthaler, this may be the best.

10-17-2011 20:27:56 | More by Burkesquire
woodychandler

4.53/5  rDev +104.1%

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off.

10-16-2011 12:08:59 | More by woodychandler
CaptJackHarkness

3.83/5  rDev +72.5%

This, and it's pale brother, are my go to quaffs when my missus says "You ain't drinking tonight!" (She who must be obeyed!).

It's an amber-red in color trying to replicate the Irish Red style, pours a decent but short lived white fizzy head,taste is crisp clean and better than most so called "light" beers. Good for when you've had enough of the real thing, but you have to stay til closing time!

09-22-2011 01:43:42 | More by CaptJackHarkness
Slatetank

3.25/5  rDev +46.4%

a vigorous pour into a tumbler from a 12oz brown bottle yields a thick 2 inch rocky cream cap. The color is a brilliant mix of amber and gold with visible carbonation rising rapidly within. The lace clings well and the retention is of at least 1/2 inch. The smell is very bready with some grainy notes that are mildly sweet with slight metallic tinge and light caramel odor. The feel is decent with semi-full feel with slight sweetness and gentle creamy texture with slight hint of spice in the background. There is a light toasted accent which leads to a semi-dry finish.

The taste is better than I expected based on previous reviews and having sampled the Premium O'doul's recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the malt with some toasted and bready malt flavors which have a slight accent of caramel malt which gives a mild nuttiness as it finishes. I am not a fan of NA beers but if I had to choose this is the one that best emulates a regular beer so I consider it pretty good based on the style. It has a malt flavor which is more than most have to offer.

09-07-2011 10:30:48 | More by Slatetank
Beastdog75

2.6/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

O'Doul's Amber is probably not quite as popular as the regular version. While regular O'Doul's is frequently found on the beer lists of most major restaurants and bars in my area, the amber variety seems only available in stores. That's somewhat disappointing in my opinion because Amber is far superior to the original version, and is one of the better non-alcoholic brews that I've had.

O'Doul's Amber pours a light coppery amber color in which a decent foamy head forms, but disappears within a minute. The aroma is surprisingly clean. Sweet malts are abundant in the nose, perhaps with only a few hints of huskiness. The mouthfeel was decent was well, much better than the highly carbonated seltzer-like mouthfeel of its cousin. Somewhat smooth and moderately carbonated. O'Doul's amber does taste like a regular beer, albeit a malty one with little hop presence. The malt flavor is predominant, with only some hints of wet paper. The aftertaste is a bit bready with some seltzer flavor, and it finishes off with no alcoholic warmth.

I probably enjoyed this more than I should have, but when reviewing the wasteland of non-alcoholic beers, I have to place this one near the top of the list.

07-30-2011 04:59:24 | More by Beastdog75
jettjon

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date into a pint glass. Dark-orange clear color with minor carbonation streams. Thin fizzy head that fades quickly leaving a tiny ring and no lace. Nose of malt, diacetyl, and buttery toast. Taste is all malty with little else other than perhaps tap water. Slightly bitter finish. Mouth is thin and watery with no carbonation evident. Overall: While it looks OK initially, this beer devolves into what amounts to a glass of brownish malt-flavored water. Might be more tolerable when swigged out of a bottle.

07-29-2011 23:21:59 | More by jettjon
TastyTaste

1.78/5  rDev -19.8%

This beer was left at my house as a joke, but I will try it, as I don't believe I have ever tried an NA beer.

It looks enough like beer, the copper color is reminiscent to some of the best pale ales I have ever had. The head doesn't last that long, but is decent at first.

The smell is sweet and caramely, the cloying-sweetness of a kvass, perhaps? Not good, whatever it it going for.

This beer should just advertise itself as a kvass for the American palate. Sweet and carbonated, lightly caramely. Can i pick out many identifiers that would make me believe that this is a beer? Not really, if I couldn't drink beer anymore, I wouldn't drink this, this is no substitute for even a macro lager. Tastes fake and on e dimensional.

06-28-2011 15:46:15 | More by TastyTaste
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

2.42/5  rDev +9%

This being my last day of work at my old job (May 13), i figured i should compare one bad beer with one good beer and use to symbolize my old job (bad beer) and my new job (good beer). Here's the bad beer:

Had this with my salmon & salad.

Poured from a 355ml. can.

Appearance: 3/4'' foam fills the glass above a hazy, light amber body. Very fluffy and long lasting.

Smell: Nuttiness a bit and a faint whiff of skunkiness but otherwise nothing.

Taste: Light malt, slight grain but the flavor feels like water mixed in. Still a little flavor in there but not enough.

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation and a smooth feel but the body is way too thin.

Overall: Not too bad but the watery malt gets old and this beer just doesn't cut it.

05-14-2011 00:02:32 | More by papat444
DCon

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev +21.6%

Received bottle as a joke from the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pint Glass. Has "10309" written on the front corner. Indication of a date?

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, bubbly, off white head that quickly dissipated. Has a nice golden/orange body with a few carbonation bubbles.

Smell- Huge cereal (corn pops or captain crunch) aroma with corn and grain. Nothing that makes me go crazy.

Taste- Starts off very grainy, has the cereal flavor as well and a light corn finish. Like I said before, just like corn pops.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and have to say refreshing! Leaves this corn taste on the palate but don't mind it.

Overall- Have to be honest, this is my first N/A beer and it wasn't bad at all! To tell you the truth, I enjoyed it! Not sure when I'll be having again but will definitely say this is an easy drinking and refreshing Low-Alcohol Beer!

05-08-2011 05:26:36 | More by DCon
bsp77

2.38/5  rDev +7.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into plastic cup.

Appearance: Light amber with almost no head.

Smell: Very sweet, with caramel and corn syrup.

Taste: Sweet caramel, drier biscuit and pepper. Okay when ice cold; not okay when it warms at all.

Feel: Very light with high carbonation. Surprisingly dry finish.

Overall: Well, it is actually better than the lightest of the light beers. Not much else I can say.

04-24-2011 20:34:04 | More by bsp77
ColdPoncho

2.53/5  rDev +14%

From notes

A - a good color. Nice rich amber and clear body, a medium white head thins to a film and ring.

S - sweet, mild, slightly perceptible malts.

T - Dryness dominates. A light nondescript sweetness is also present.

M - thin, bland, I guess this is what you should expect.

O (D) - Easy, unenjoyable