1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul's AmberO'Doul's Amber

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 106 | Show All Ratings:
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

2.45/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Pours a clear light amber colour, finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Bread crusts, candied sugar and a hint of honey.

T - Sweet corn, buttered bread, candied caramel, apple cider and grainy finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - Bearing in mind the style, it's the best sample of the style I've tried, but it's certainly not something many would enjoy. If I'm the DD I'll drink this for fun, but apart from that I'd pass.

06-24-2013 00:49:39 | More by andrenaline
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.88/5  rDev +29.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some fruit and a faint touch of hops

T: The taste starts out with a mild sweetness from flavors of caramel, fruit & honey. Then a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in along with a very light hops presence to create a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a fairly decent beer for the style.

06-02-2012 22:04:18 | More by TheManiacalOne
woodychandler

4.53/5  rDev +104.1%

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off.

10-16-2011 12:08:59 | More by woodychandler
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

2.42/5  rDev +9%

This being my last day of work at my old job (May 13), i figured i should compare one bad beer with one good beer and use to symbolize my old job (bad beer) and my new job (good beer). Here's the bad beer:

Had this with my salmon & salad.

Poured from a 355ml. can.

Appearance: 3/4'' foam fills the glass above a hazy, light amber body. Very fluffy and long lasting.

Smell: Nuttiness a bit and a faint whiff of skunkiness but otherwise nothing.

Taste: Light malt, slight grain but the flavor feels like water mixed in. Still a little flavor in there but not enough.

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation and a smooth feel but the body is way too thin.

Overall: Not too bad but the watery malt gets old and this beer just doesn't cut it.

05-14-2011 00:02:32 | More by papat444
drizzam

1.58/5  rDev -28.8%

Given to me by my good BA buddy cdkrenz...thanks (I think). This must be revenge for the Wild Blue I gave you.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a clear orange/amber body topped by a white foamy one finger head. The head dissipated to a foamy cap...the head is actually better than I thought it would be, leaving a little spotty lacing down the inside of my pint glass. Maybe it was a result of my aggressive pour.

S - Light sweet malt...not much else in the nose.

T & M - Wow...this stuff is watery! I drank a porter before this and this stuff pales greatly in comparison. I'm getting a metallic taste, maybe a little caramelized malt. Not much going on here. High carbonation lends to a rough mouthfeel.

D - I guess if you're forced to drink a NA beer, this may be a good one. I'm not one that is willing to sacrifice taste just to pretend to drink a beer though. I would rather drink water or soda if I'm a DD.

12-24-2009 00:26:20 | More by drizzam
cdkrenz

1.8/5  rDev -18.9%

A - Clear, pale copper body with a thin very pale tan head that fades... faded very quickly.

S - Malty aroma with little to offer.

T - It has an odd aftertaste and that which comes first isn't much better.

M - The texture is coarse throughout with with much of the feel to the roof of my mouth.

~ The label reads, "Rich & Flavorful" but I beg to differ.

09-30-2009 02:22:15 | More by cdkrenz
WJVII

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%

Have a few cans of this left over from a friend. Poured into a glass this is a light amber color with a cream colored head that was here, then gone! The aroma was mild with some hints of malt. The taste was very metallic and watery at the same time. There was not much taste of malt and maybe a syrupy sweetness that was out right gross. NA is not for me!

07-16-2009 23:22:53 | More by WJVII
Rollo

3.75/5  rDev +68.9%

I like this a lot, and regular ODouls as well. I had four of these today.

I usually prefer barley wine style, but let's face it- you don't always want to get lit or hungover. When you're a parent, that's more often than not.

This stuff is easily as good as any of the big lager swills like Bud, Milller, Pabst. You can drink all you like, which is tough to do with pop or beer usually.

Definitely not as bad as the rap it gets here. I wonder if you can legally drink it while driving?

05-03-2009 02:01:12 | More by Rollo
roddwolff

Mexico

2.17/5  rDev -2.3%

With no doubt, this one is the tastiest non-alcoholic beer i ever tasted; with an amber golden color; smooth smell; in the taste there is an accentuated malt with an end of cereal, very good.

I know this is a not alcoholic beer, but... with the food, tastes like a real beer, truly.

Homever i can't give a good calification to a non-alcoholic beer.

03-09-2009 19:29:23 | More by roddwolff
Durge

Connecticut

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Had this at a neighbor's house when nothing else was available. Figured it would be interesting. I have had a number of these 0.5% "beers" and some I like fine once you get over the fact that they are never much like any real beer. I call them by the old fashioned term, cereal beverage. Anway, this one looked pretty good with a fairly dark golden brown color, a big frothy white head and even a bit of lacing on my mug. The aroma was OK too, a bit of brown sugar and wheat, clean. But the taste was far below some of the imported ones I have generally liked, like Haake Beck, St. Pauli's and Clausthaler. The immediate impression is with how thin and weak flavored this feels and tastes. It is well carbonated, very sprite and as a result can be called a refreshing drink perhaps, but the flavor implied by the aroma is quickly lost in a peppery and watery drink that has a metallic overtone It's very thin and just a hint of some wheat here. I thought the Amber might hold some promise but don't bother with this when there are much better choices for the no/low alcohol options. Sure you could drink plenty of these like any other of it's kind but why would you? Handy in the desert I suppose...

10-22-2007 14:06:58 | More by Durge
tgbljb

2.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium-amber color with initial white puffy head that was quickly gone. Smell is mostly a sweetness that is not especialyl enjoyable. Taste is sweet and malty, with typical low-alcohol notes. Finished with a not pleasant aftertaste. There are acceptable NA's out there, but this is not one of them.

02-23-2006 01:36:26 | More by tgbljb
nekronos

Mexico

3.68/5  rDev +65.8%

IT was not very different from the O'Douls one, but was a little more dissapointed with the flavor, is alittle heavier, and it makes it a little more annoying, perhaps. The colour is more green than ambar, but anyway, it is yellow after all. The aroma is proper for a beer like this, and maybe with some limes would be better.

10-20-2005 13:47:20 | More by nekronos
Ricochet

2.63/5  rDev +18.5%

This was on sale for $6.49..normally it's $8.99? Isn't this a NA beer? "Premium" nonetheless. I figured I'd continue with my quest for a decent NA. This one is good, but not. I'll explain.

At first, I had this from the can and my first impression was Genny Red without the alcohol. I liked it at first, but then after drinking the whole can, I got out my glass for a second to write this review.

Because this is an amber, it does have a "candy like" and "sour" flavor. It does resemble Genny Red like I said , but only in appearence and slight notes of flavor. Give it above average for appearence and smell for the similar qualities.

Mouth seemed a little lower than average the sour feel is there. Taste is well, sour. I'd say, this isn't a bad NA for being different and has an average drinkability. A lot of flavor with very little taste of the adjuncts.

Summary: I thought this would be good at first, but after two, it's not a beer I'll get again. OM NA is still the winner for me. Funny how this looks better rated that some of the other NAs I've reviewed, I rate em like I drink em.

02-05-2005 22:18:59 | More by Ricochet
ADR

2.08/5  rDev -6.3%

Hey why not? Can from a cooler...

Clear amber, a somewhat pretned adjunct-like head that barely has time to say goodbye. No lace. Just a slight bit of malt to the aroma, a bit of far-off ginger ale. The ginger ale theme continues into the flavor profile -- a slightly sweet and grainy mix of overcarbonation and slight acidity (not seeming to be hop generated) mix with a bare brown sugar. Misses on many beer-like qualities and its a little difficult to assess hop malt balance on this one (as in many NAs, who'ld have thunk alcohol helps here?). I won't bash it, it has better qualities and some malty huskiness not found in Michelob Ultra.

07-02-2003 08:20:36 | More by ADR
Rifrafboy

2.73/5  rDev +23%

This is a premium non-alcoholic lager. Taste is dry, smooth and malty. A little bitterness is there, also. Mouthfeel is full bodied and substantial, but lacking in alcohol. I was waiting for hops that never showed up. I liked this, as far as the type goes. Too bad it is so expensive

03-14-2003 18:03:50 | More by Rifrafboy
proc

2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This may be a high score for an N.A. beer, but in the world of N.A.'s, it's pretty decent. Pours out to an amber color in the glass. Taste is light, but there is a hint of caramel there. I wonder what this would taste like if the alcohol was left in? Drinkable, but not remarkable, but light years ahead of regular O'Doul's.

08-28-2002 12:01:26 | More by proc
dbrauneis

2.06/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a clear copper-ish amber in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light brown + amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy and toasted grain malts.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of grainy and toasted grain malts with light amounts of bitterness in the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Watery.

O: Not much going on here with this beer - very light aromas and flavors along with a somewhat watery body.

09-29-2013 22:50:20 | More by dbrauneis
artoolemomo

Oregon

1.91/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance- Pours up some head (about 3 or 4 fingers) and has basically no retention. It lasted long enough for me to see that it was an off white color with hints of yellow. The body is medium to dark amber with slight maroon notes which glows a medium amber when held up to the light. No lacing at all.

Nose- Fairly typical for an AAL. Slight grain, not much else. Maybe a hint of caramel from the bottle. When I swirl it (violently), I get some corn and cornflakes. While I don't like these flavors in a beer or a low alcohol beer, I really have to work to notice them.

Taste- Once again, fairly typical for an AAL. Lots of grain but not much else. Some cereal notes. Pretty watery and thin. A sour, metallic finish starts to build up as it warms. It's not as bad as in a lot of lagers but it does not bode well as I was about to mention there are no real off flavors. A bit of a vinous quality. Some white grape. Boring flavor profile that lacks presence and integration. Cornflake start to show near the end.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with some syrup. It had some carbonation but that is all gone. This is not the type of beverage (low alcohol or not) that you drink without carbonation. If you want serve your non-alcoholic beer drinks, pump some carbon dioxide in there. Or don't- I really don't care.

Drinkability- Easy going because it's so damn watery. But it's also very boring. And barely carbonated. And what's that other problem...

Overall- Pretty on par with BMC when it comes to the nose and taste. Nice body, but a failure in overall appearance. Mouthfeel is just a failure. Drinkability is pointless. Because of all this, it is beneath BMC overall. Poor beer. The only reason to try this is if you are a ticker. And I am. I can go back to regular beer now- this style designation has been had and reviewed.

08-14-2013 04:47:36 | More by artoolemomo
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml bottle poured into tulip 9/6/13

A clear golden liquid with a few bubbles but a large well sustained three finger foam that has great retention slowly falling to an island leaving a couple partial rings of lace, looks the part

S Styrofoam, and cardboard, reminds me of opening a stryo-shipper from a trading buddy, some pennies and dry malt

T what I smell but with some soggy cornflakes, I might finish it if there was a little booze but this "brews" just wrecking perfectly good water

M feels about right, light bodied with lots of bubbles but I could live without the aftertaste of soggy cereal

O no need to finish this one, if I ever had to quit drinking I doubt I'd tease myself with this

Really? I've gotten to this level of ticking? I'm ashamed of myself, I'm about to drink a big BB aged stout I swear

06-10-2013 05:35:39 | More by wordemupg
snaotheus

Washington

2.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I will start off by stating my context: I've never had a low (or non) alcohol beer before, and I have low (or non) expectations.

Pours a clear amber, with a fizzy head, and coarse carbonation. Doesn't look bad, honestly. If I saw it in a glass in front of me without knowing what it was, I'd want to smell it. It smells bready and sweet. It smells like a lager, but sweeter.

Taste is too sweet...some straw. Nothing interesting. Exceedingly boring, but not distasteful.

Mouthfeel is flat (surprising for the apparent carbonation).

Overall, I'm glad this was a "gift" (after I gifted this person a Rochefort 10).

02-13-2013 05:07:33 | More by snaotheus
harrymel

Washington

1.66/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: unk

It's amber, brilliant clarity and looks still after the quick dissipation of loose light cream foam. Smells sweet with some beefy character and a little tea quality. Taste is metallic with oxidized grains and some oversteeped red tea. Thin bodied with low carb and a astringently abrasive finish. No likey.

01-14-2013 01:19:27 | More by harrymel
TMoney2591

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Meh, who needs alcohol? This stuff pours a clear copper topped by a finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises warm, lightly-buttered bread. Yup, that's it. I know, I'm kinda surprised, too. The taste is grainier, like less polished bread, with a touch of vague fruitiness tossed in for apparently good measure. Then everything is watered down. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, I'm not sure why they bothered to take out the alcohol here, except to save the company from being derided for releasing a really crappy beer that may actually be able to eventually get you drunk. This stuff, on the other hand, is purposeless.

01-04-2013 23:40:18 | More by TMoney2591
tdm168

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - see-through amber with a soft, thin layer of pure white head that has decent retention

S - sweet, doughy, faintly metallic

T - bready, grainy, metallic, sweet

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

The odd metallic notes ruined any chance for this one. There's a nice attempt at a malt presence, but its sweet and there are no hops for balance. This was only $.89 for a single. I bought it for this review. I won't be buying another one.

09-14-2012 08:21:37 | More by tdm168
BasementBer

Manitoba (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When you want a beer, but just not so near.

Effervescent as all budmilloors are. Head sticks around only because it is bubbling so much. minimal lacing. More like a pale copper than an amber.

Slightly malty in the aroma, but nothing going on really.

Short and kinda sweet for taste. Largely adjunct production.

Hints of dryness lingering in the feel but overwhelmingly bubbly action.

Worth a try, let this be a lesson why alcoholism should be avoided at all costs.

02-25-2012 00:25:35 | More by BasementBer
Arborescence

Finland

2.98/5  rDev +34.2%

Appearance: Pale amber. Pours a medium, airy head. Carbonation is evident.

Aroma: Light, sweet malt, not much to it.

Taste: Rather sweet, typical for a low alcohol beer. The malt is pleasant enough, but obviously there's very little body or depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation (for the style), a bit much for my taste though. Light bodied.

Overall: It's not bad for a low alcohol beer. I've had a few, and none of them are great of course, but they can be drinkable at least. This one is about average.

02-19-2012 23:09:52 | More by Arborescence