O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When you want a beer, but just not so near.

Effervescent as all budmilloors are. Head sticks around only because it is bubbling so much. minimal lacing. More like a pale copper than an amber.

Slightly malty in the aroma, but nothing going on really.

Short and kinda sweet for taste. Largely adjunct production.

Hints of dryness lingering in the feel but overwhelmingly bubbly action.

Worth a try, let this be a lesson why alcoholism should be avoided at all costs.

2.91/5  rDev +33.5%

Appearance: Pale amber. Pours a medium, airy head. Carbonation is evident.

Aroma: Light, sweet malt, not much to it.

Taste: Rather sweet, typical for a low alcohol beer. The malt is pleasant enough, but obviously there's very little body or depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation (for the style), a bit much for my taste though. Light bodied.

Overall: It's not bad for a low alcohol beer. I've had a few, and none of them are great of course, but they can be drinkable at least. This one is about average.

2.41/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Dull rustic orange with a pristine clarity reveals a light, spacious rise of effervesce. The head was a bit of surprise, frothy at a finger high with a sea-shell white color displaying a short rate of retention. Slight whispy lashes line the glass for lace.

S: Light metallic notes, with a very light dry toasted graininess. Really hard to get much out of this even after several minutes of constant agitation. Neutral.

T: The flavor was sweet caramel, toffee with some honey toasted cereal grains. A touch of fruitiness comes late in the game with a mixture of pear and oranges.

M: Light bodied with a creaminess and a quiet carbonation factor. A smudge of malt support.

O: An adequate example for the non-alcohol drinker though is a touch to sweet to indulge in multiples. A clean brew, a bit light and watery at times but is to be expected per non-alcohol styles. Better then anticipated but certainly not a substitute.

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

2.5/5  rDev +14.7%

2.25/5  rDev +3.2%

1.48/5  rDev -32.1%

Reviewed from notes. Had this last night at a get together and decided to review it since I drank it. Deciding to drink it was my first mistake. On to the notes:

Pours light amber with no head and no lacing. I was afraid to look at the date, and out of fear decided not to. All I can smell is grain and fake caramel. No hops, No good.

The aroma was a big nothing and so was the taste. Some grain and fake caramel. That was about it. I have a feeling this was an old bottle, but since I am not sure, I will call it as I taste it.

Thin, watery, not much carbonation. Just an abomination. How does anybody drink this as anything but morbid curiosity?

3.66/5  rDev +67.9%

Pours amber without head or lacing.

Smells grassy with cooked vegetables and wood.

Tastes like an adjunct lager. Some malt favors. Very smooth. No bite. Can't taste the grass, like other NAs.

Feels smooth. Doesn't bite, but thin.

Overall this is one of the better LABs. I prefer it out of the bottle versus a glass. And this may be crazy, but it's better as it warms a little. If you like beer but not alcohol (or if you like alcohol too much) this is a very good better. Next to Clausthaler, this may be the best.

4.54/5  rDev +108.3%

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off.

3.8/5  rDev +74.3%

This, and it's pale brother, are my go to quaffs when my missus says "You ain't drinking tonight!" (She who must be obeyed!).

It's an amber-red in color trying to replicate the Irish Red style, pours a decent but short lived white fizzy head,taste is crisp clean and better than most so called "light" beers. Good for when you've had enough of the real thing, but you have to stay til closing time!

3.23/5  rDev +48.2%

a vigorous pour into a tumbler from a 12oz brown bottle yields a thick 2 inch rocky cream cap. The color is a brilliant mix of amber and gold with visible carbonation rising rapidly within. The lace clings well and the retention is of at least 1/2 inch. The smell is very bready with some grainy notes that are mildly sweet with slight metallic tinge and light caramel odor. The feel is decent with semi-full feel with slight sweetness and gentle creamy texture with slight hint of spice in the background. There is a light toasted accent which leads to a semi-dry finish.

The taste is better than I expected based on previous reviews and having sampled the Premium O'doul's recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the malt with some toasted and bready malt flavors which have a slight accent of caramel malt which gives a mild nuttiness as it finishes. I am not a fan of NA beers but if I had to choose this is the one that best emulates a regular beer so I consider it pretty good based on the style. It has a malt flavor which is more than most have to offer.

2.6/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

O'Doul's Amber is probably not quite as popular as the regular version. While regular O'Doul's is frequently found on the beer lists of most major restaurants and bars in my area, the amber variety seems only available in stores. That's somewhat disappointing in my opinion because Amber is far superior to the original version, and is one of the better non-alcoholic brews that I've had.

O'Doul's Amber pours a light coppery amber color in which a decent foamy head forms, but disappears within a minute. The aroma is surprisingly clean. Sweet malts are abundant in the nose, perhaps with only a few hints of huskiness. The mouthfeel was decent was well, much better than the highly carbonated seltzer-like mouthfeel of its cousin. Somewhat smooth and moderately carbonated. O'Doul's amber does taste like a regular beer, albeit a malty one with little hop presence. The malt flavor is predominant, with only some hints of wet paper. The aftertaste is a bit bready with some seltzer flavor, and it finishes off with no alcoholic warmth.

I probably enjoyed this more than I should have, but when reviewing the wasteland of non-alcoholic beers, I have to place this one near the top of the list.

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date into a pint glass. Dark-orange clear color with minor carbonation streams. Thin fizzy head that fades quickly leaving a tiny ring and no lace. Nose of malt, diacetyl, and buttery toast. Taste is all malty with little else other than perhaps tap water. Slightly bitter finish. Mouth is thin and watery with no carbonation evident. Overall: While it looks OK initially, this beer devolves into what amounts to a glass of brownish malt-flavored water. Might be more tolerable when swigged out of a bottle.

1.8/5  rDev -17.4%

This beer was left at my house as a joke, but I will try it, as I don't believe I have ever tried an NA beer.

It looks enough like beer, the copper color is reminiscent to some of the best pale ales I have ever had. The head doesn't last that long, but is decent at first.

The smell is sweet and caramely, the cloying-sweetness of a kvass, perhaps? Not good, whatever it it going for.

This beer should just advertise itself as a kvass for the American palate. Sweet and carbonated, lightly caramely. Can i pick out many identifiers that would make me believe that this is a beer? Not really, if I couldn't drink beer anymore, I wouldn't drink this, this is no substitute for even a macro lager. Tastes fake and on e dimensional.

2.28/5  rDev +4.6%

My future mother in law got this for me because she heard that I have never had a beer from Odell Brewing. Bless her heart, she tried.

Appearance- Clear burnt orange with a good tight, white head. No lacing. 4/5

Smell- Caramel malts. I do not detect very much, if any, hop aroma. 3.5/5

Taste- This tastes like imitation caramel and other malts like imitation crab tastes like real crab. There is also a "twang" to it. I don't think I would attribute that to hops.
2/5

Mouthfeel- Virtually none. Very watery mouthfeel. 2/5

Overall- Not a beer I will ever buy. I simply can't get passed the fact that it has no alcohol. Other than that it is very pain and one dimensional. I did not finish the 12oz bottle. 1/5

2.44/5  rDev +11.9%

This being my last day of work at my old job (May 13), i figured i should compare one bad beer with one good beer and use to symbolize my old job (bad beer) and my new job (good beer). Here's the bad beer:

Had this with my salmon & salad.

Poured from a 355ml. can.

Appearance: 3/4'' foam fills the glass above a hazy, light amber body. Very fluffy and long lasting.

Smell: Nuttiness a bit and a faint whiff of skunkiness but otherwise nothing.

Taste: Light malt, slight grain but the flavor feels like water mixed in. Still a little flavor in there but not enough.

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation and a smooth feel but the body is way too thin.

Overall: Not too bad but the watery malt gets old and this beer just doesn't cut it.

2.71/5  rDev +24.3%

Received bottle as a joke from the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pint Glass. Has "10309" written on the front corner. Indication of a date?

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, bubbly, off white head that quickly dissipated. Has a nice golden/orange body with a few carbonation bubbles.

Smell- Huge cereal (corn pops or captain crunch) aroma with corn and grain. Nothing that makes me go crazy.

Taste- Starts off very grainy, has the cereal flavor as well and a light corn finish. Like I said before, just like corn pops.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and have to say refreshing! Leaves this corn taste on the palate but don't mind it.

Overall- Have to be honest, this is my first N/A beer and it wasn't bad at all! To tell you the truth, I enjoyed it! Not sure when I'll be having again but will definitely say this is an easy drinking and refreshing Low-Alcohol Beer!

O'Doul's Amber from Anheuser-Busch