O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
Slatetank

3.25/5  rDev +48.4%

a vigorous pour into a tumbler from a 12oz brown bottle yields a thick 2 inch rocky cream cap. The color is a brilliant mix of amber and gold with visible carbonation rising rapidly within. The lace clings well and the retention is of at least 1/2 inch. The smell is very bready with some grainy notes that are mildly sweet with slight metallic tinge and light caramel odor. The feel is decent with semi-full feel with slight sweetness and gentle creamy texture with slight hint of spice in the background. There is a light toasted accent which leads to a semi-dry finish.

The taste is better than I expected based on previous reviews and having sampled the Premium O'doul's recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the malt with some toasted and bready malt flavors which have a slight accent of caramel malt which gives a mild nuttiness as it finishes. I am not a fan of NA beers but if I had to choose this is the one that best emulates a regular beer so I consider it pretty good based on the style. It has a malt flavor which is more than most have to offer.

09-07-2011 10:30:48 | More by Slatetank
Beastdog75

2.6/5  rDev +18.7%

O'Doul's Amber is probably not quite as popular as the regular version. While regular O'Doul's is frequently found on the beer lists of most major restaurants and bars in my area, the amber variety seems only available in stores. That's somewhat disappointing in my opinion because Amber is far superior to the original version, and is one of the better non-alcoholic brews that I've had.

O'Doul's Amber pours a light coppery amber color in which a decent foamy head forms, but disappears within a minute. The aroma is surprisingly clean. Sweet malts are abundant in the nose, perhaps with only a few hints of huskiness. The mouthfeel was decent was well, much better than the highly carbonated seltzer-like mouthfeel of its cousin. Somewhat smooth and moderately carbonated. O'Doul's amber does taste like a regular beer, albeit a malty one with little hop presence. The malt flavor is predominant, with only some hints of wet paper. The aftertaste is a bit bready with some seltzer flavor, and it finishes off with no alcoholic warmth.

I probably enjoyed this more than I should have, but when reviewing the wasteland of non-alcoholic beers, I have to place this one near the top of the list.

07-30-2011 04:59:24 | More by Beastdog75
jettjon

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date into a pint glass. Dark-orange clear color with minor carbonation streams. Thin fizzy head that fades quickly leaving a tiny ring and no lace. Nose of malt, diacetyl, and buttery toast. Taste is all malty with little else other than perhaps tap water. Slightly bitter finish. Mouth is thin and watery with no carbonation evident. Overall: While it looks OK initially, this beer devolves into what amounts to a glass of brownish malt-flavored water. Might be more tolerable when swigged out of a bottle.

07-29-2011 23:21:59 | More by jettjon
TastyTaste

1.78/5  rDev -18.7%

This beer was left at my house as a joke, but I will try it, as I don't believe I have ever tried an NA beer.

It looks enough like beer, the copper color is reminiscent to some of the best pale ales I have ever had. The head doesn't last that long, but is decent at first.

The smell is sweet and caramely, the cloying-sweetness of a kvass, perhaps? Not good, whatever it it going for.

This beer should just advertise itself as a kvass for the American palate. Sweet and carbonated, lightly caramely. Can i pick out many identifiers that would make me believe that this is a beer? Not really, if I couldn't drink beer anymore, I wouldn't drink this, this is no substitute for even a macro lager. Tastes fake and on e dimensional.

06-28-2011 15:46:15 | More by TastyTaste
MADhombrewer

Oregon

2.2/5  rDev +0.5%

My future mother in law got this for me because she heard that I have never had a beer from Odell Brewing. Bless her heart, she tried.

Appearance- Clear burnt orange with a good tight, white head. No lacing. 4/5

Smell- Caramel malts. I do not detect very much, if any, hop aroma. 3.5/5

Taste- This tastes like imitation caramel and other malts like imitation crab tastes like real crab. There is also a "twang" to it. I don't think I would attribute that to hops.
2/5

Mouthfeel- Virtually none. Very watery mouthfeel. 2/5

Overall- Not a beer I will ever buy. I simply can't get passed the fact that it has no alcohol. Other than that it is very pain and one dimensional. I did not finish the 12oz bottle. 1/5

05-20-2011 18:38:08 | More by MADhombrewer
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

2.42/5  rDev +10.5%

This being my last day of work at my old job (May 13), i figured i should compare one bad beer with one good beer and use to symbolize my old job (bad beer) and my new job (good beer). Here's the bad beer:

Had this with my salmon & salad.

Poured from a 355ml. can.

Appearance: 3/4'' foam fills the glass above a hazy, light amber body. Very fluffy and long lasting.

Smell: Nuttiness a bit and a faint whiff of skunkiness but otherwise nothing.

Taste: Light malt, slight grain but the flavor feels like water mixed in. Still a little flavor in there but not enough.

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation and a smooth feel but the body is way too thin.

Overall: Not too bad but the watery malt gets old and this beer just doesn't cut it.

05-14-2011 00:02:32 | More by papat444
DCon

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Received bottle as a joke from the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pint Glass. Has "10309" written on the front corner. Indication of a date?

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, bubbly, off white head that quickly dissipated. Has a nice golden/orange body with a few carbonation bubbles.

Smell- Huge cereal (corn pops or captain crunch) aroma with corn and grain. Nothing that makes me go crazy.

Taste- Starts off very grainy, has the cereal flavor as well and a light corn finish. Like I said before, just like corn pops.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and have to say refreshing! Leaves this corn taste on the palate but don't mind it.

Overall- Have to be honest, this is my first N/A beer and it wasn't bad at all! To tell you the truth, I enjoyed it! Not sure when I'll be having again but will definitely say this is an easy drinking and refreshing Low-Alcohol Beer!

05-08-2011 05:26:36 | More by DCon
bsp77

2.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into plastic cup.

Appearance: Light amber with almost no head.

Smell: Very sweet, with caramel and corn syrup.

Taste: Sweet caramel, drier biscuit and pepper. Okay when ice cold; not okay when it warms at all.

Feel: Very light with high carbonation. Surprisingly dry finish.

Overall: Well, it is actually better than the lightest of the light beers. Not much else I can say.

04-24-2011 20:34:04 | More by bsp77
ColdPoncho

2.53/5  rDev +15.5%

From notes

A - a good color. Nice rich amber and clear body, a medium white head thins to a film and ring.

S - sweet, mild, slightly perceptible malts.

T - Dryness dominates. A light nondescript sweetness is also present.

M - thin, bland, I guess this is what you should expect.

O (D) - Easy, unenjoyable

03-21-2011 22:08:23 | More by ColdPoncho
Knapp85

1.7/5  rDev -22.4%

This one I think is better than the Lager version they make. Just just a little bit more to it. I suppose it's just the difference in using the roasted malts over a lighter kind. What else can be said about this brew. It's at least got a nice color to it.

03-21-2011 02:50:02 | More by Knapp85
Urbancaver

2.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a lost abbey sinners glass. a pretty reddish amber with a good amount of white head. The head dissipates quickly but leave a bit of lacing on the glass. Honestly, not bad looking. There is almost no aroma though, some sweet malts but nothing else going on. A few sips of the sweet maltiness are quite enough for me. Its not awful... honestly, its way better than I was expecting... but its certainly not good... Decent mouthfeel and overall, better than I was expecting

03-17-2011 20:15:22 | More by Urbancaver
Wasatch

Utah

1.63/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a clean/clear amber color, some carbonation, nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is sweet, malty, and grainy. The taste is sweet, malty, not much going on here. Light Body. Not Drinkable, a drain pour.

03-16-2011 00:34:13 | More by Wasatch
rings

2.2/5  rDev +0.5%

In an effort to just make sure I can, I usually take at least a week or two in February off, which means I have to find something non-alcoholic to drink. As I'm not much for sodas - or the sugar that comes with it - I've tried a few N/A beers out there.

This does taste surprisingly like beer, for an N/A. It's certainly waaay better than most - and a nice attempt to get a little character & flavor into an alcohol free brew - but that doesn't mean it's "good" compared to actual beer.

It looks and smells pretty good, but the body is, of course, very thin with nary a hint of mouthfeel. At least it's drinkable.

03-13-2011 20:44:24 | More by rings
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev -4.1%

A leftover from a previous tenant at a time-share ski chalet - why the hell not - got to be on my game tonight...

This erm, beer, pours a clear medium golden amber, with a surprising amount of foamy, puffy off-white head, which leaves some fragmented lace around the glass as it duly settles. It smells of sweet barley and corn cereal malt, and some very mild off-putting florals. The taste is very thin, slightly astringent caramelized grain. That's it - the 'flavour' comes and goes so quickly, it's hard to get a bead on it. The carbonation is average, the body light, watery, and bereft of character. It finishes off-dry, I suppose, the echo of the neutered malt whimpering to the end.

I get the close-to-nil-alcohol idea for beer, but why the taste and body has to suffer so much, I have to wonder, and another thing - this thing still has 90 calories? Cripes. I can't believe that I'm suggesting that one should opt for a Coors Light or Michelob Ultra in its place.

03-06-2011 01:05:52 | More by biboergosum
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.68/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured a dull straw yellow with a big white fizzy head. Lots of visible carbonation, but the fizzy yellow water type, no lace. The smell was very faint, if there at all. What I could pick up was maybe a hay, or wheat smell. Again very very faint, and hardly there at all. The taste was very light and non descript, but that is about what one would expect from a light lager. A light grain, just enough of a taste to know I was not drinking water would be the best way to describe it. Decent feel, again just the cold well carbonated. Crisp, and a clean finish, no aftertaste. Overall this was totally forgettable, as I imagined it would be.

03-05-2011 18:58:51 | More by mikesgroove
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

Another style tick under the belt. Not looking forward to this one all that much. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Crystal clear golden amber. Solid two fingers of off white head. Fast fading leaving no lace.

S: Sweet malt and hints of corn like grain. Not exactly a show stopper in the nose. No surprise.

T: Wow. Amazing how little flavor this has. Just a light hint of tart malt. That's it. Nothing offensive just nothing period.

M: Very light and crisp. Plenty of carbonation.

D: Well there is simply nothing horrible about this beer but nothing good either. This will be my first and last NA beer for sure.

02-15-2011 00:56:50 | More by beerwolf77
scottfrie

2.4/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz bottle poured into Old Rasputin nonic pint. Bought on sale for 79cents.

A: Pours a light amber with two fingers of bubbly off-white head that quickly fizzed away into a faint film. No lacing.
S: Light notes of grains with a slight metallic twinge mixed in with some sweet notes.
T: Slight notes of roasted grains and a synthetic blast of artificial sweetener and caramel syrup.
M: Not as water as I was expecting, but still, pretty thin. Carbonation is tingly but fairly low.
D: This is my first nonalcoholic beer, but I've actually had alcoholic beers that taste worse than this. Still, this is by no means something I would like to drink again.

01-08-2011 21:59:37 | More by scottfrie
Thorpe429

2.05/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a medium amber color without head or lacing. Nose brings forth some light grain. Somewhat of a grain husk nose. Taste confirms this with some general bread flavors. Feel is light with too much carbonation. Drinks much like the overall experience--in an unimpressive manner.

10-08-2010 00:50:23 | More by Thorpe429
allforbetterbeer

Colorado

2.65/5  rDev +21%

Well I had to try it. The whole sixer costs less than most single 12 oz bottles I drink. Keep in mind I am reviewing this to style, and the bar is pretty low. Interestingly, this is my 100th bottled beer reviewed (not 100th review total). I don't think I could have picked a more anticlimactic choice. Oh well.

Appearance is light orange watery body that pours with head but acts like flat diet soda... the head goes away and is never seen again.

I don't smell anything. Wait, a faint hint of something like malt. No, never mind. At least there is nothing offensive.

Yea, don't really taste much either. The label says this is rich and flavorful. Now, if it were labeled as WATER I would be impressed. It is however, not labeled as water and thus I am not impressed.

Mouthfeel reminds me of half/half seltzer water and a bad beer left out all day.

Conclusion: I have had ultra-low ABV beers before that were actually pretty good. This 'beer' is sad. enough said. On to better things.

09-10-2010 21:04:55 | More by allforbetterbeer
industrialswill

Washington

My curiosity got the best of me, so I had to try this here near beer.

I think it's got a nice, crisp, clean taste.
It ressembles beer.
There isn't anything here that would make me want to buy it again, but for anyone who is in search of a good NA beer, this one has to be at least a decent place to start.

04-12-2010 23:05:23 | More by industrialswill
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.86/5  rDev -15.1%

Its all downhill from here.

Looks and smells like a standard beer. No problems, standard amber ale no? But then the taste, I don't like too much alcohol, but if there's almost none, maybe its psychosomatic or whatnot, but I just can't get into it.

Mouthfeel indicates that the beer is much thinner than its appearance. Becomes watery, loses any wood and malt feel it had. No hops at any point. Can't stand to finish even one, and can't believe the price of this.

03-12-2010 17:22:11 | More by Beerandraiderfan
womencantsail

2.42/5  rDev +10.5%

I felt it the responsible thing to do, bringing this to a tasting. You don't everyone to get drunk, now do you?!

A: The pour is a clear light amber color with plenty of carbonation and a short lived head.

S: The nose is very mild, not giving off too much of an aroma. What is there is a light grainy sweetness and a touch of skunk.

T: Like the nose before it, there really isn't much going on in the flavor department. The only real flavor is a slight bready quality and some sweetness.

M: The body is thin and watery with a fairly plentiful carbonation.

D: I suppose there is a point for some to drink non-alcoholic beer, but I just don't see it. I'd rather drink a soda if I wanted some empty calories, because at least that tastes good.

03-12-2010 16:29:55 | More by womencantsail
cjgator3

1.93/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a light amber color with an off-white head with decent retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty bland to say the least. There is just a hint of grain and caramel. Not much else.

T- The taste starts out with a grainy sweetness with a touch of caramel. Could definitely use some bitterness from the hops in the finish to balance out the sweetness. As it is, I find it to be a sweet watery mess.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I would recommend avoiding this one. The regular O'Doul's is much more palatable compared to the Amber.

03-03-2010 00:16:17 | More by cjgator3
drizzam

Wisconsin

1.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Given to me by my good BA buddy cdkrenz...thanks (I think). This must be revenge for the Wild Blue I gave you.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a clear orange/amber body topped by a white foamy one finger head. The head dissipated to a foamy cap...the head is actually better than I thought it would be, leaving a little spotty lacing down the inside of my pint glass. Maybe it was a result of my aggressive pour.

S - Light sweet malt...not much else in the nose.

T & M - Wow...this stuff is watery! I drank a porter before this and this stuff pales greatly in comparison. I'm getting a metallic taste, maybe a little caramelized malt. Not much going on here. High carbonation lends to a rough mouthfeel.

D - I guess if you're forced to drink a NA beer, this may be a good one. I'm not one that is willing to sacrifice taste just to pretend to drink a beer though. I would rather drink water or soda if I'm a DD.

12-24-2009 00:26:20 | More by drizzam
wagenvolks

1.43/5  rDev -34.7%

12oz bottle (on sale at the local grocery store for $0.50 per bottle) into a Michelob pilsner glass.

Not a half-bad pour; surprisingly good head retention to the creamy sawdust inch of foam, likely a result of the lager-like levels of carbonation rising up through the golden-copper body. Good lacing to boot. Pale & clear color, but a bit light to be called "Amber". Mineral crispness and a hint of cooked corn in the nose. Some sweetness from the malts and perhaps the tiniest hint of hops, but a rather unimpressive aroma.

Oh man, this is awful stuff. Sourish minerals all across the tongue with notes of over-cooked frozen vegetables. Like bad mineral water...no traces of the label-touted "Two-row and specialty caramel malts" or hops of any sort. Body is not as thin as one might think for a 0.5% ABV, and has some decent creaminess to the carbonation, but the off-flavors and sour crispness are equal parts distracting and disgusting. My excuses? I guess I was curious, and the price was right. After all, this is my first Low Alcohol Beer review. Never again though...I learned my lesson.

12-16-2009 00:54:33 | More by wagenvolks