O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
scaliasux

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev +39.3%

Appearance - Clear light amber. Bubbly. Head is soapy, tall and white. Receeds pretty quickly. Nice for style.

Smell - Very faint, almost undetectable. Just a hint of chocolately or caramely malt and lemony hops.

Taste - Very light in flavor. There is, however, definitely a caramel malt flavor to this beer. Hops also pretty light, but present - appears well-balanced. For style, one could do much worse. The flavor is, as expected, watered down, but this beer provides more and better flavor than many of its ilk.

Mouthfeel - Obviously quite light and highly carbonated. Nothing unusual.

Drinkability - I felt like a dork buying this. While this is better than O'Doul's regular, it's certainly not good. Possibly one of the better beers in its category, but the category is rather uninspired.

03-27-2007 02:21:11 | More by scaliasux
ski271

In exploring the world of NA beers, I've found very few beers that satisfied me. This one is a step up from the lifeless regular O'Doul's, but not a very big step. The medium-dark amber color is a pleasant greeting, but it's all downhill from there. The fizzy off-white head quickly disipates, the smell is faint, grainy and a little metallic with absolutely no hops, the flavor is bland with a caramel sweetness that is at first not too shabby but quickly gets old on the tastebuds, and the worst is the mouthfeel. Just lifeless. Not worth getting again.

03-20-2007 02:46:44 | More by ski271
mrmanning

Ontario (Canada)

1.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle from loblaws- Pours transparent amber,and a short lived, off white head. Zero lace. The aromas are faint, and it smells like other NA beers. Pretty cardboard-ey, but perhaps due to the amber designation, they did use some decent malting here, which is detectable in the aroma. Caramel and toffee nuances as well. Flavour is bland, mild sweet malt with some paper/pepper/fillers. Spritzy finish, completely forgettable. But it’s the official NA beer of the PGA.

12-02-2006 17:06:11 | More by mrmanning
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev +21%

A: Golden-amber, white head, hints of retention & initially a touch of lace. Good for what it is.

S: It smells like a regular beer, but the aroma isn't very strong. Floral, slightly spicy hops with a little sweet caramel & grain.

T: It's not overly sweet, but it's seriously lacking bitterness. Some spicy, floral and somewhat earthy hop flavour. Caramel & cardboard?

M: Light body, fairly dry, moderate carbonation.

D: It's light & has some beer flavour, but I don't find it's not interesting. I did actually finish it though!

Thanks for the bottle Len... it's probably not something I'd ever buy!

11-23-2006 02:23:29 | More by Derek
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.4/5  rDev +9.6%

The time has come for NA Shootout (With Blanks) II, the second in my periodically recurring head-to-head comparison of Low Alcohol Beer, the choice of the designated driver set. This bottle of St. Louis's finest, O'Doul's Amber, will be facing off against the NA challenger from Germany, Paulaner's ThomasBrau. May the best beer-like beverage win.

O'Doul's Amber is actually rustic orange with tangerine edges. It's much darker and richer looking than its competitor, but then that was by design. Although there are many more visible bubbles in this beer, the head doesn't look nearly as good. It's beige in color and is soft and frothy rather than bubbly and sticky. Soap sudsy lace makes a brief appearance on the glass.

The aroma is remarkably low on power. A hint of minimally toasted grain greets my nose... and not much else. While there's nothing much here to like, it's vastly superior to the olfactory mess coming from the German NA. Definite edge to the American.

It's obvious that Anheuser-Busch has decided that the best way to get people to drink NA beer, a historically bad tasting style, is to eliminate virtually all traces of flavor. Michelob Ultra has more flavor than this stuff. Interestingly, a faint burst of sweet, faintly caramel-like malt becomes apparent on the finish. I say 'interestingly' because the finish is preceded by absolutely no flavor whatsoever.

No surprise that the mouthfeel is on the light side. It earns some measure of respect though by failing to descend into wateriness and by having a 'just right' amount of carbonation. Another winning category for the stateside beer.

O'Doul's Amber wins NA Shootout (With Blanks) II by a mile and wins it, essentially, by default. Like a politician who refuses to state his positions prior to an election so as to not offend potential voters, Amber doesn't provide much of any flavor so as to be palatable to those brave souls who are forced to drink it. No one gladly drinks this stuff, do they?

11-04-2006 13:26:33 | More by BuckeyeNation
jwc215

Wisconsin

"Born on" 25 July 2006.

Pours light amber with a decent head at the start, for a NA, that eventually fizzles to barely a ring.

The smell is a hint of caramel. Do I smell grain in background? Hard to tell...

The taste is malty, but not really in a good way. Sweet caramel, which itself is weak, is backed up by only a hint of roasted grain that does not hold up.

The feel is watery, with residual sweetness. Leaves a pretty bad aftertaste, like a caramel malt drink that has gone flat and lifeless.

Not an easy drink to have. It's only overly sweet because of nothing backing it up. Weak, but somewhat sticky, despite high water, malt runs the show.

If you're the designated driver, or you find yourself in a situation in which you want a NA, I suggest picking the regular O'Doul's. It's not really good, but better than this. They tried something different that just doesn't work. Scores based on NA standards (and still low, even for style.)

10-28-2006 14:29:15 | More by jwc215
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

1.68/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a clear amber with a frothy ivory head. No lacing to speak of. Smell is...it's got that Bud smell present in many of their beers, Not sure if I'm smelling rice or what. Very crisp smelling and woody (?). Not particularly pleasant.

The carbonation really masks alot of the flavor initially. Some malty, dark lager flavors. Lightly musty, almost smoky.
Thin and bland. Eh.

08-20-2006 03:50:18 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%

355ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Despite the name Amber, it's actually more of a dark gold colour with brown highlights. Off-white head is 1/8 inch on the pour but quickly recedes to a thin ring around the edge.

Aroma is exceedingly sweet with corn in the foreground and malt in the background with a faint whiff of maple syrup. No hops. No balance.

Taste is sweet with an acidic bite in the middle and malt in the background. No aftertaste.

Mouthfeel actually resembles a macro lager. Light bodied and fizzy with a bit of an acidic bite.

Just like every other low alcohol beer I've had, this isn't very appealing. I would have to say that I prefer it to the Molson and Labatt offerings though.

06-02-2006 20:35:28 | More by Noxious26
rhythmguitartz88

2.78/5  rDev +26.9%

The apperance was an amber/dark yellow color with not much head...it did however have stuff floating in it...I'm not certain if that was of the fault of the manufacturer or the fault of myself for trusting my friends around my unatended drink
any who

The smell was bellow average although not always clearly present

The taste was a sweet/sour mix with a main taste of bitterness

Mouthfeel was smooth-esque

drinkability was average but seeing as I'm a big time moocher, and seeing as it's what my friends have, i will most likely be having another very soon.

05-16-2006 04:15:04 | More by rhythmguitartz88
DarkerTheBetter

2.63/5  rDev +20.1%

This “beer” poured a very light copper with little or no head.

Smelled like sweet malt, almost in a breakfast cereal sort of way with a hint of distinct and separate hop sourness.

Tasted like sour and tangy orange juice with some watered down molasses followed by a small dry hop sting.

The mouth feel was light bodied with lots of small bubbled carbonation.

Meh. Not entirely terrible.

04-21-2006 13:06:06 | More by DarkerTheBetter
shererjt

3.08/5  rDev +40.6%

Poured a very light clear copper with an awesome rocky head. Aroma was sweet with some malt and a bit of hops as well. Not exactly beer-smelling, but pleasant. Lots of malt in the flavor, and some off-tastes as well. Did have some beer-like richness and a bit of bitterness in the background. Mouthfeel was a little watery; could have used a bit more oomph. Drinkability was pretty good for a N/A.

An above average representative of the style. Makes a nice substitute for the real thing when the need arises.

04-09-2006 02:36:35 | More by shererjt
Backer2004

2.6/5  rDev +18.7%

O'Doul's Amber is really no better or worse than any other adjunct light lager. In my opinion, it's not "what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer" - why do I remmeber that jingle? It looks a little nicer than light beers and goes down easy enough. If you're pregnant and love beer, go for it. If you've had enough and need to drive home, go for it.

Other than that, don't go for it.

03-21-2006 01:40:28 | More by Backer2004
tgbljb

2.45/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a medium-amber color with initial white puffy head that was quickly gone. Smell is mostly a sweetness that is not especialyl enjoyable. Taste is sweet and malty, with typical low-alcohol notes. Finished with a not pleasant aftertaste. There are acceptable NA's out there, but this is not one of them.

02-23-2006 01:36:26 | More by tgbljb
Phatz

1.13/5  rDev -48.4%

This beer pours a very light yellow/Amber, clear. The head was a very small white fizzy (blink of an eye and it was gone) head. So it is not impressive but it is not repulsive yet. I am afraid it only goes down hill from there. The smell is actually BAD! It makes me pull away like I smelled dirty socks. Is there a rating below 1? like a zero or something. The taste is bad two. Tastes very sour and skunked, not at all like beer. There are no hop or malt characteristics at all. There is some sort of artificial syrup flavor trying to make this sweet enough to get past the sour skunkiness. It fails at making this a drinkable beer. I could hardly keep it in my mouth long enough to think about the mouthfeel it seriously made me shudder. I have never dumped out an unfinished beer before, even if it was bad. This was a first. I have also never had a beer this bad before. This is my first time drinking a NA beer. I don't know if they are all like this or not. I certainly can see NO redeeming characteristics that would justify buying O'Doul's Amber. It may suffice for cooking but I don't think I'll personally risk it. That is just my opinion.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
I have since had other N/A beers and the truth is it can be done a heck of a lot better than O'Doul's Amber. I may have had a skunked bottle because another BA described it to me as sweet but, I am in no hurry to find out.
---

01-06-2006 06:27:27 | More by Phatz
xgrigorix

1.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle. Date of bottling printed on label.

Bright amber color, clear. Thin off white head.

Light hop aroma, and a jumble of artificial caramel aromas.

Sweet, and fake tasting. The hops that were barely there in the nose are completely gone. Light and fluffy. Drain pour.

11-28-2005 02:23:52 | More by xgrigorix
nicksta

2.73/5  rDev +24.7%

I wanted to pick up a six pack but I remembered I had to work in the early morning so I got some low alcoholic beer. This beer poors a brown/red hue with a small, but stoic, frothy head. The taste is pretty okay. Slightly sweet caramel malts, but not very hoppy. It is smooth but it doesn't exactly sit down. The most negative parts of this beer include the smell and mouthfeel. The smell is pretty bland, not giving any info on the beer itself and the mouthfeel seems watered down after witnessing the color of the beer. Typical of an AB product. On the whole it is probably the best AB product out there in my opinion that I have tried so far.

10-29-2005 03:42:02 | More by nicksta
nekronos

Mexico

3.68/5  rDev +68%

IT was not very different from the O'Douls one, but was a little more dissapointed with the flavor, is alittle heavier, and it makes it a little more annoying, perhaps. The colour is more green than ambar, but anyway, it is yellow after all. The aroma is proper for a beer like this, and maybe with some limes would be better.

10-20-2005 13:47:20 | More by nekronos
tesguino

Mexico

1.15/5  rDev -47.5%

Like the beers of anheuser busch, had an abuse of adjoincts in rice an other grains; poor in taste and mouthfeel, no comments inappearance, taste and drinkability, smell a little hops and malt, rice and corn; recommended if case on american food no try this beer with mexican, its flavor not go with powerful taste of this food.

10-13-2005 15:33:21 | More by tesguino
Suds

2.23/5  rDev +1.8%

An attractive copper-amber color, with a nice effervescence makes this NA look appealing. Unfortunately, the head is fleeting at best. Smell of cereal grains seemed a little more pronounced that some alcoholic AB brews. Mouthfeel is light and empty, but about what is expected for the style. Almost no hops anywhere in the beer, save for a trace at the finish. This is a simple, unoffending, average NA beer. I’d drink it over water or soda, but that’s about it.

04-02-2005 18:05:49 | More by Suds
Sycodrummer

1.08/5  rDev -50.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an American pint glass forming a weak sliver of a head that left no lacing and went away as quickly as it formed. A light amber/ruby color. Looks like Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Didn't really smell or taste of anything that resembled beer. Maybe faint malt?

Light with soda like carbonation on the palate.

Blah!! No good, and a poor substitute for real beer. If you must drink a NA for whatever reason, DO NOT make it this one.

03-01-2005 04:06:59 | More by Sycodrummer
Ricochet

2.63/5  rDev +20.1%

This was on sale for $6.49..normally it's $8.99? Isn't this a NA beer? "Premium" nonetheless. I figured I'd continue with my quest for a decent NA. This one is good, but not. I'll explain.

At first, I had this from the can and my first impression was Genny Red without the alcohol. I liked it at first, but then after drinking the whole can, I got out my glass for a second to write this review.

Because this is an amber, it does have a "candy like" and "sour" flavor. It does resemble Genny Red like I said , but only in appearence and slight notes of flavor. Give it above average for appearence and smell for the similar qualities.

Mouth seemed a little lower than average the sour feel is there. Taste is well, sour. I'd say, this isn't a bad NA for being different and has an average drinkability. A lot of flavor with very little taste of the adjuncts.

Summary: I thought this would be good at first, but after two, it's not a beer I'll get again. OM NA is still the winner for me. Funny how this looks better rated that some of the other NAs I've reviewed, I rate em like I drink em.

02-05-2005 22:18:59 | More by Ricochet
acrawf6

Louisiana

1.75/5  rDev -20.1%

I bought this a few days back because i want to cut down on my alcohol. I'm not a fan of this one.

appearance: comes out as a caramel colored amber. Head is tan that fizzled away like i a coke. it even made noises like coke

smell: honestly i dont think anything sticks out in the aroma

taste: at first sip it tastes ok to me but quickly gets worse. it tastes like hints of malts, but again really nothing

mouthfeel: not good. once a sip was in my mouth for more than i second, it had no body. really tasted like there was something missing (this is my first na beer so i dont know if this is normal)

drinkability: plain and simple- its not

12-03-2004 07:29:25 | More by acrawf6
DrunkMcDermott

1.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Looks like a beer, pours like a beer... um, there the similarity ends. Fizzy head disappears faster than a 7up, smells like a sweetened Nestea. A halfway decent amber body for the "style," at least, but it tastes like watered-down Malto Goya (a Mexican malt soda). I had a whole six of this I was using for cooking; only when I was down to the last bottle (and I was off beer for Lent) did I consider actually tasting it.

09-01-2004 15:08:28 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Zorro

2.17/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a clear amber brew, as the name would suggest.

Smell is Kellogg’s Cornflakes and a bit of malt scent.

Taste is sweet and corny with seltzer water after taste as if there was some baking soda in this.

Mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkable if I had to drink this, but I think I would drink a Budweiser first.

07-18-2004 00:51:35 | More by Zorro
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.33/5  rDev +52.1%

I really thought, as far as nearbeers go, that this was a great beer. It's nothing that I would buy on a regular basis, but it's still noteworthy. I was expecting something horrid and nasty, but I got something a bit like a lighter version of Killians, but without the bite. The best thing about the beer was the awesome head I got in the beggining. The head was huge and frothy, and lasted a good little while. I would recommend this one to anyone looking to drink nonalcholic beer.

06-16-2004 03:08:29 | More by JISurfer