O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
DarkerTheBetter

2.63/5  rDev +20.1%

This “beer” poured a very light copper with little or no head.

Smelled like sweet malt, almost in a breakfast cereal sort of way with a hint of distinct and separate hop sourness.

Tasted like sour and tangy orange juice with some watered down molasses followed by a small dry hop sting.

The mouth feel was light bodied with lots of small bubbled carbonation.

Meh. Not entirely terrible.

04-21-2006 13:06:06 | More by DarkerTheBetter
shererjt

3.08/5  rDev +40.6%

Poured a very light clear copper with an awesome rocky head. Aroma was sweet with some malt and a bit of hops as well. Not exactly beer-smelling, but pleasant. Lots of malt in the flavor, and some off-tastes as well. Did have some beer-like richness and a bit of bitterness in the background. Mouthfeel was a little watery; could have used a bit more oomph. Drinkability was pretty good for a N/A.

An above average representative of the style. Makes a nice substitute for the real thing when the need arises.

04-09-2006 02:36:35 | More by shererjt
Backer2004

2.6/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

O'Doul's Amber is really no better or worse than any other adjunct light lager. In my opinion, it's not "what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer" - why do I remmeber that jingle? It looks a little nicer than light beers and goes down easy enough. If you're pregnant and love beer, go for it. If you've had enough and need to drive home, go for it.

Other than that, don't go for it.

03-21-2006 01:40:28 | More by Backer2004
tgbljb

2.45/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium-amber color with initial white puffy head that was quickly gone. Smell is mostly a sweetness that is not especialyl enjoyable. Taste is sweet and malty, with typical low-alcohol notes. Finished with a not pleasant aftertaste. There are acceptable NA's out there, but this is not one of them.

02-23-2006 01:36:26 | More by tgbljb
Phatz

1.13/5  rDev -48.4%

This beer pours a very light yellow/Amber, clear. The head was a very small white fizzy (blink of an eye and it was gone) head. So it is not impressive but it is not repulsive yet. I am afraid it only goes down hill from there. The smell is actually BAD! It makes me pull away like I smelled dirty socks. Is there a rating below 1? like a zero or something. The taste is bad two. Tastes very sour and skunked, not at all like beer. There are no hop or malt characteristics at all. There is some sort of artificial syrup flavor trying to make this sweet enough to get past the sour skunkiness. It fails at making this a drinkable beer. I could hardly keep it in my mouth long enough to think about the mouthfeel it seriously made me shudder. I have never dumped out an unfinished beer before, even if it was bad. This was a first. I have also never had a beer this bad before. This is my first time drinking a NA beer. I don't know if they are all like this or not. I certainly can see NO redeeming characteristics that would justify buying O'Doul's Amber. It may suffice for cooking but I don't think I'll personally risk it. That is just my opinion.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
I have since had other N/A beers and the truth is it can be done a heck of a lot better than O'Doul's Amber. I may have had a skunked bottle because another BA described it to me as sweet but, I am in no hurry to find out.
---

01-06-2006 06:27:27 | More by Phatz
xgrigorix

1.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle. Date of bottling printed on label.

Bright amber color, clear. Thin off white head.

Light hop aroma, and a jumble of artificial caramel aromas.

Sweet, and fake tasting. The hops that were barely there in the nose are completely gone. Light and fluffy. Drain pour.

11-28-2005 02:23:52 | More by xgrigorix
nicksta

2.73/5  rDev +24.7%

I wanted to pick up a six pack but I remembered I had to work in the early morning so I got some low alcoholic beer. This beer poors a brown/red hue with a small, but stoic, frothy head. The taste is pretty okay. Slightly sweet caramel malts, but not very hoppy. It is smooth but it doesn't exactly sit down. The most negative parts of this beer include the smell and mouthfeel. The smell is pretty bland, not giving any info on the beer itself and the mouthfeel seems watered down after witnessing the color of the beer. Typical of an AB product. On the whole it is probably the best AB product out there in my opinion that I have tried so far.

10-29-2005 03:42:02 | More by nicksta
nekronos

Mexico

3.68/5  rDev +68%

IT was not very different from the O'Douls one, but was a little more dissapointed with the flavor, is alittle heavier, and it makes it a little more annoying, perhaps. The colour is more green than ambar, but anyway, it is yellow after all. The aroma is proper for a beer like this, and maybe with some limes would be better.

10-20-2005 13:47:20 | More by nekronos
tesguino

Mexico

1.15/5  rDev -47.5%

Like the beers of anheuser busch, had an abuse of adjoincts in rice an other grains; poor in taste and mouthfeel, no comments inappearance, taste and drinkability, smell a little hops and malt, rice and corn; recommended if case on american food no try this beer with mexican, its flavor not go with powerful taste of this food.

10-13-2005 15:33:21 | More by tesguino
Suds

2.23/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

An attractive copper-amber color, with a nice effervescence makes this NA look appealing. Unfortunately, the head is fleeting at best. Smell of cereal grains seemed a little more pronounced that some alcoholic AB brews. Mouthfeel is light and empty, but about what is expected for the style. Almost no hops anywhere in the beer, save for a trace at the finish. This is a simple, unoffending, average NA beer. I’d drink it over water or soda, but that’s about it.

04-02-2005 18:05:49 | More by Suds
Sycodrummer

1.08/5  rDev -50.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an American pint glass forming a weak sliver of a head that left no lacing and went away as quickly as it formed. A light amber/ruby color. Looks like Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Didn't really smell or taste of anything that resembled beer. Maybe faint malt?

Light with soda like carbonation on the palate.

Blah!! No good, and a poor substitute for real beer. If you must drink a NA for whatever reason, DO NOT make it this one.

03-01-2005 04:06:59 | More by Sycodrummer
Ricochet

2.63/5  rDev +20.1%

This was on sale for $6.49..normally it's $8.99? Isn't this a NA beer? "Premium" nonetheless. I figured I'd continue with my quest for a decent NA. This one is good, but not. I'll explain.

At first, I had this from the can and my first impression was Genny Red without the alcohol. I liked it at first, but then after drinking the whole can, I got out my glass for a second to write this review.

Because this is an amber, it does have a "candy like" and "sour" flavor. It does resemble Genny Red like I said , but only in appearence and slight notes of flavor. Give it above average for appearence and smell for the similar qualities.

Mouth seemed a little lower than average the sour feel is there. Taste is well, sour. I'd say, this isn't a bad NA for being different and has an average drinkability. A lot of flavor with very little taste of the adjuncts.

Summary: I thought this would be good at first, but after two, it's not a beer I'll get again. OM NA is still the winner for me. Funny how this looks better rated that some of the other NAs I've reviewed, I rate em like I drink em.

02-05-2005 22:18:59 | More by Ricochet
acrawf6

Louisiana

1.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I bought this a few days back because i want to cut down on my alcohol. I'm not a fan of this one.

appearance: comes out as a caramel colored amber. Head is tan that fizzled away like i a coke. it even made noises like coke

smell: honestly i dont think anything sticks out in the aroma

taste: at first sip it tastes ok to me but quickly gets worse. it tastes like hints of malts, but again really nothing

mouthfeel: not good. once a sip was in my mouth for more than i second, it had no body. really tasted like there was something missing (this is my first na beer so i dont know if this is normal)

drinkability: plain and simple- its not

12-03-2004 07:29:25 | More by acrawf6
DrunkMcDermott

1.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Looks like a beer, pours like a beer... um, there the similarity ends. Fizzy head disappears faster than a 7up, smells like a sweetened Nestea. A halfway decent amber body for the "style," at least, but it tastes like watered-down Malto Goya (a Mexican malt soda). I had a whole six of this I was using for cooking; only when I was down to the last bottle (and I was off beer for Lent) did I consider actually tasting it.

09-01-2004 15:08:28 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Zorro

2.17/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a clear amber brew, as the name would suggest.

Smell is Kellogg’s Cornflakes and a bit of malt scent.

Taste is sweet and corny with seltzer water after taste as if there was some baking soda in this.

Mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkable if I had to drink this, but I think I would drink a Budweiser first.

07-18-2004 00:51:35 | More by Zorro
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.33/5  rDev +52.1%

I really thought, as far as nearbeers go, that this was a great beer. It's nothing that I would buy on a regular basis, but it's still noteworthy. I was expecting something horrid and nasty, but I got something a bit like a lighter version of Killians, but without the bite. The best thing about the beer was the awesome head I got in the beggining. The head was huge and frothy, and lasted a good little while. I would recommend this one to anyone looking to drink nonalcholic beer.

06-16-2004 03:08:29 | More by JISurfer
NJpadreFan

2.35/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

O'Doul's Amber.

A friend drinks this cause he can't have the real thing! I figured I'd give it a try.

Appearance- very light caramel brown with no head.
Smell- light, very light hint of caramel.
Taste- pure water with just a light dipping of some caramel flavor.

overall- a decent nonalcoholic?!?

05-09-2004 15:06:04 | More by NJpadreFan
oggg

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank from the bottle.

slightly darker than the plain cousin, the biggest difference and improvement, IMHO, is that this beer comes with a little more body and a definite caramel flavor. Makes you feel like you're drinking more than just another Bud. If anything, it's a little on the sweet/malty side.

My N/A beer of choice so far

02-20-2004 23:15:28 | More by oggg
Dubblebock

2.85/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

OK, I had tried the original O'Doul's late last year, after a visit to my in-law's house over Thanksgiving. My father -in-law can't drink alcoholic beer, and the O'Doul's is as close as he can get. And like it's stablemate, O'Doul's Amber is actually a pretty good N/A beer. Fact is, it's better than most alcoholic light beers, in my opinion. I got a couple of cool pieces of information from the labeling, too. This beer has only 90 calories, no doubt due to absence of the alcohol. At 18 grams of carbs, it's also good for those pursuing that Atkins diet thingie.

Pours with a healthy, frothy head. Fairly nice amber coloring. The head actually lasts a little while. Not much nose to the sample.

Taste was not bad at all. All malt, though. The label makes a big deal of the "blend of domestic and imported hops", but I don't know where they are. Still, a nice malt profile. I felt like the Amber had a little bit less of a full-bodied taste that the original O'Doul's. It's slightly weaker in tone, less of a fulfilling substitute for an alcoholic beer. Still, not bad, though.

Watery mouthfeel. Simple and uncomplicated finish. This is not a complex brew by any standards.

Very drinkable, though. Being a N/A beer, you could slam this one all night. Try it if you are in a situation where an alcoholic beer is not an option. This would be most excellent on a hot day, after some exertion. Alcoholic beers would dehydrate, but you could drop this one back almost like water.

01-20-2004 03:07:34 | More by Dubblebock
hotstuff

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

The Rathskeller Wine & Brew Fest:When poured into my glass, the head was small sized, ivory and contained fine sized bubbles.The body was clear with fizzy carbonation.The hue was amber and the nose was lightly malty.The flavor was lightly bitter and the mouthfeel was tingly, smooth and thin.This beer left no lacing.

08-25-2003 16:06:50 | More by hotstuff
SetarconeX

2.53/5  rDev +15.5%

If I have a dirty little beer secret, it's that I rather like this little malty beer-like brew. Much nicer color and flavor than the original Odouls had. I usually buy them for cooking purposes, should I feel like getting creative with burgers, but it's surprisingly drinkable on its own. In fact, I'd rather drink this than some of the more unpleasent real beers that this same company makes (though those beers shall *cough, amber* remain nameless *cough, bock*).

This is probably the closest you can get to beer in a non-alcoholic. Give it a whirl.

08-05-2003 04:20:35 | More by SetarconeX
AtLagerHeads

1.63/5  rDev -25.6%

Rather straightforward look to this brew for a macro brew, which is to say - amber, quickly exiting white head and no lace effect. The smell is of malt sweetness and this is repeated in the flavor that tends to be overly sweet with little to balance it out. The feel is thin, watery, thin, nondescript, did I mention thin? Not drinkable due to a total lack of redeeeming value.

07-22-2003 18:11:03 | More by AtLagerHeads
Reidrover

Oregon

2.4/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Ok..tryed this beer tonight as I was in the mood ..but had stern warning from wife to stay sober ( driving duties.)
Comes in the Bud brown long neck..12 oz
This "beer" actually looks not too bad at all poured into a glassnice orangy brown colour with a large frothy white head..it looks like a beer at least.
Smell is bothersome though ..malty but in a sickly way.
Cold this "beer" tastes not too bad at all for a NA..its all malt with some faint hops in the after taste
Pretty watery in mouth as expected.
Actually drinkable much to my surprise.
This is actually better than regular Budweiser.

07-19-2003 04:54:29 | More by Reidrover
Jason

1.2/5  rDev -45.2%

Bright amber colour though not much upstairs. Smells artificially sweet with some hop oil and malt sugar. The taste is even worse, sickly sweet with little hop to balance. Tastes like artificial caramel … perhaps the worst near beer I have had to date.

07-14-2003 17:27:29 | More by Jason
ADR

2.08/5  rDev -5%

Hey why not? Can from a cooler...

Clear amber, a somewhat pretned adjunct-like head that barely has time to say goodbye. No lace. Just a slight bit of malt to the aroma, a bit of far-off ginger ale. The ginger ale theme continues into the flavor profile -- a slightly sweet and grainy mix of overcarbonation and slight acidity (not seeming to be hop generated) mix with a bare brown sugar. Misses on many beer-like qualities and its a little difficult to assess hop malt balance on this one (as in many NAs, who'ld have thunk alcohol helps here?). I won't bash it, it has better qualities and some malty huskiness not found in Michelob Ultra.

07-02-2003 08:20:36 | More by ADR