O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
1.08/5  rDev -50.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an American pint glass forming a weak sliver of a head that left no lacing and went away as quickly as it formed. A light amber/ruby color. Looks like Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Didn't really smell or taste of anything that resembled beer. Maybe faint malt?

Light with soda like carbonation on the palate.

Blah!! No good, and a poor substitute for real beer. If you must drink a NA for whatever reason, DO NOT make it this one.

Sycodrummer, Mar 01, 2005
2.63/5  rDev +20.6%

This was on sale for $6.49..normally it's $8.99? Isn't this a NA beer? "Premium" nonetheless. I figured I'd continue with my quest for a decent NA. This one is good, but not. I'll explain.

At first, I had this from the can and my first impression was Genny Red without the alcohol. I liked it at first, but then after drinking the whole can, I got out my glass for a second to write this review.

Because this is an amber, it does have a "candy like" and "sour" flavor. It does resemble Genny Red like I said , but only in appearence and slight notes of flavor. Give it above average for appearence and smell for the similar qualities.

Mouth seemed a little lower than average the sour feel is there. Taste is well, sour. I'd say, this isn't a bad NA for being different and has an average drinkability. A lot of flavor with very little taste of the adjuncts.

Summary: I thought this would be good at first, but after two, it's not a beer I'll get again. OM NA is still the winner for me. Funny how this looks better rated that some of the other NAs I've reviewed, I rate em like I drink em.

Ricochet, Feb 05, 2005
1.75/5  rDev -19.7%

I bought this a few days back because i want to cut down on my alcohol. I'm not a fan of this one.

appearance: comes out as a caramel colored amber. Head is tan that fizzled away like i a coke. it even made noises like coke

smell: honestly i dont think anything sticks out in the aroma

taste: at first sip it tastes ok to me but quickly gets worse. it tastes like hints of malts, but again really nothing

mouthfeel: not good. once a sip was in my mouth for more than i second, it had no body. really tasted like there was something missing (this is my first na beer so i dont know if this is normal)

drinkability: plain and simple- its not

acrawf6, Dec 03, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

Looks like a beer, pours like a beer... um, there the similarity ends. Fizzy head disappears faster than a 7up, smells like a sweetened Nestea. A halfway decent amber body for the "style," at least, but it tastes like watered-down Malto Goya (a Mexican malt soda). I had a whole six of this I was using for cooking; only when I was down to the last bottle (and I was off beer for Lent) did I consider actually tasting it.

DrunkMcDermott, Sep 01, 2004
2.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a clear amber brew, as the name would suggest.

Smell is Kellogg’s Cornflakes and a bit of malt scent.

Taste is sweet and corny with seltzer water after taste as if there was some baking soda in this.

Mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkable if I had to drink this, but I think I would drink a Budweiser first.

Zorro, Jul 18, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +52.8%

I really thought, as far as nearbeers go, that this was a great beer. It's nothing that I would buy on a regular basis, but it's still noteworthy. I was expecting something horrid and nasty, but I got something a bit like a lighter version of Killians, but without the bite. The best thing about the beer was the awesome head I got in the beggining. The head was huge and frothy, and lasted a good little while. I would recommend this one to anyone looking to drink nonalcholic beer.

JISurfer, Jun 16, 2004
2.35/5  rDev +7.8%

O'Doul's Amber.

A friend drinks this cause he can't have the real thing! I figured I'd give it a try.

Appearance- very light caramel brown with no head.
Smell- light, very light hint of caramel.
Taste- pure water with just a light dipping of some caramel flavor.

overall- a decent nonalcoholic?!?

NJpadreFan, May 09, 2004
2.5/5  rDev +14.7%

Drank from the bottle.

slightly darker than the plain cousin, the biggest difference and improvement, IMHO, is that this beer comes with a little more body and a definite caramel flavor. Makes you feel like you're drinking more than just another Bud. If anything, it's a little on the sweet/malty side.

My N/A beer of choice so far

oggg, Feb 20, 2004
2.85/5  rDev +30.7%

OK, I had tried the original O'Doul's late last year, after a visit to my in-law's house over Thanksgiving. My father -in-law can't drink alcoholic beer, and the O'Doul's is as close as he can get. And like it's stablemate, O'Doul's Amber is actually a pretty good N/A beer. Fact is, it's better than most alcoholic light beers, in my opinion. I got a couple of cool pieces of information from the labeling, too. This beer has only 90 calories, no doubt due to absence of the alcohol. At 18 grams of carbs, it's also good for those pursuing that Atkins diet thingie.

Pours with a healthy, frothy head. Fairly nice amber coloring. The head actually lasts a little while. Not much nose to the sample.

Taste was not bad at all. All malt, though. The label makes a big deal of the "blend of domestic and imported hops", but I don't know where they are. Still, a nice malt profile. I felt like the Amber had a little bit less of a full-bodied taste that the original O'Doul's. It's slightly weaker in tone, less of a fulfilling substitute for an alcoholic beer. Still, not bad, though.

Watery mouthfeel. Simple and uncomplicated finish. This is not a complex brew by any standards.

Very drinkable, though. Being a N/A beer, you could slam this one all night. Try it if you are in a situation where an alcoholic beer is not an option. This would be most excellent on a hot day, after some exertion. Alcoholic beers would dehydrate, but you could drop this one back almost like water.

Dubblebock, Jan 20, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -2.3%

The Rathskeller Wine & Brew Fest:When poured into my glass, the head was small sized, ivory and contained fine sized bubbles.The body was clear with fizzy carbonation.The hue was amber and the nose was lightly malty.The flavor was lightly bitter and the mouthfeel was tingly, smooth and thin.This beer left no lacing.

hotstuff, Aug 25, 2003
2.53/5  rDev +16.1%

If I have a dirty little beer secret, it's that I rather like this little malty beer-like brew. Much nicer color and flavor than the original Odouls had. I usually buy them for cooking purposes, should I feel like getting creative with burgers, but it's surprisingly drinkable on its own. In fact, I'd rather drink this than some of the more unpleasent real beers that this same company makes (though those beers shall *cough, amber* remain nameless *cough, bock*).

This is probably the closest you can get to beer in a non-alcoholic. Give it a whirl.

SetarconeX, Aug 05, 2003
1.63/5  rDev -25.2%

Rather straightforward look to this brew for a macro brew, which is to say - amber, quickly exiting white head and no lace effect. The smell is of malt sweetness and this is repeated in the flavor that tends to be overly sweet with little to balance it out. The feel is thin, watery, thin, nondescript, did I mention thin? Not drinkable due to a total lack of redeeeming value.

AtLagerHeads, Jul 22, 2003
2.4/5  rDev +10.1%

Ok..tryed this beer tonight as I was in the mood ..but had stern warning from wife to stay sober ( driving duties.)
Comes in the Bud brown long neck..12 oz
This "beer" actually looks not too bad at all poured into a glassnice orangy brown colour with a large frothy white head..it looks like a beer at least.
Smell is bothersome though ..malty but in a sickly way.
Cold this "beer" tastes not too bad at all for a NA..its all malt with some faint hops in the after taste
Pretty watery in mouth as expected.
Actually drinkable much to my surprise.
This is actually better than regular Budweiser.

Reidrover, Jul 19, 2003
1.2/5  rDev -45%

Bright amber colour though not much upstairs. Smells artificially sweet with some hop oil and malt sugar. The taste is even worse, sickly sweet with little hop to balance. Tastes like artificial caramel … perhaps the worst near beer I have had to date.

Jason, Jul 14, 2003
2.08/5  rDev -4.6%

Hey why not? Can from a cooler...

Clear amber, a somewhat pretned adjunct-like head that barely has time to say goodbye. No lace. Just a slight bit of malt to the aroma, a bit of far-off ginger ale. The ginger ale theme continues into the flavor profile -- a slightly sweet and grainy mix of overcarbonation and slight acidity (not seeming to be hop generated) mix with a bare brown sugar. Misses on many beer-like qualities and its a little difficult to assess hop malt balance on this one (as in many NAs, who'ld have thunk alcohol helps here?). I won't bash it, it has better qualities and some malty huskiness not found in Michelob Ultra.

ADR, Jul 02, 2003
2.8/5  rDev +28.4%

Crystal-clear light amber color with an inch thick cloudtop head, moderate carbonation, quite good lace. Aroma consists of faint caramel and little else. Taste begins with tingling carbonation, followed by mild caramel and toasted malts, finishes dry and slightly sour. Mouthfeel is good. Overall, a fairly decent NA beer and worth a try.

Pegasus, Mar 17, 2003
2.73/5  rDev +25.2%

This is a premium non-alcoholic lager. Taste is dry, smooth and malty. A little bitterness is there, also. Mouthfeel is full bodied and substantial, but lacking in alcohol. I was waiting for hops that never showed up. I liked this, as far as the type goes. Too bad it is so expensive

Rifrafboy, Mar 14, 2003
2.93/5  rDev +34.4%

This beer pours with a coarse white head that's finer/denser in the middle. It leaves some nice, smooth lacing.

It has a very subtle smell: slightly caramel, slightly sour.

The taste starts very light, metallic, a little corny. The middle is slightly cloying caramel. The finish is a little sour, coming back with somewhat skunky burps. I like this NA way more than the green O'Doul's. It's a good alternative to soda pop when alcohol is off limits.

kbub6f, Feb 24, 2003
3.15/5  rDev +44.5%

This is surprisingly good for a non-alcoholic brew. Even better than some of ABs other offerings.
Rich medium amber with quick fading head and little lace. Light to medium carbonation with quick rising malt sweetness. Slight malted flavor. Very little hop aroma or flavor, but has slight bitter bite.

psugrad98, Nov 01, 2002
2.48/5  rDev +13.8%

I also found this NA ---ok. It comes in a nice looking bottle.It poors ok with a nice head that does fade-away to some but not much lace. The taste has a malty overtone, some carmal hint to it. This is a drinkable NA, I like it in the bottle while doing something else, say yardwork.

chilidog, Aug 31, 2002
2.53/5  rDev +16.1%

This may be a high score for an N.A. beer, but in the world of N.A.'s, it's pretty decent. Pours out to an amber color in the glass. Taste is light, but there is a hint of caramel there. I wonder what this would taste like if the alcohol was left in? Drinkable, but not remarkable, but light years ahead of regular O'Doul's.

proc, Aug 28, 2002