O'Doul's Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Amber Alström Bros
1.49/5  rDev -37.1%

12oz bottle (on sale at the local grocery store for $0.50 per bottle) into a Michelob pilsner glass.

Not a half-bad pour; surprisingly good head retention to the creamy sawdust inch of foam, likely a result of the lager-like levels of carbonation rising up through the golden-copper body. Good lacing to boot. Pale & clear color, but a bit light to be called "Amber". Mineral crispness and a hint of cooked corn in the nose. Some sweetness from the malts and perhaps the tiniest hint of hops, but a rather unimpressive aroma.

Oh man, this is awful stuff. Sourish minerals all across the tongue with notes of over-cooked frozen vegetables. Like bad mineral water...no traces of the label-touted "Two-row and specialty caramel malts" or hops of any sort. Body is not as thin as one might think for a 0.5% ABV, and has some decent creaminess to the carbonation, but the off-flavors and sour crispness are equal parts distracting and disgusting. My excuses? I guess I was curious, and the price was right. After all, this is my first Low Alcohol Beer review. Never again though...I learned my lesson. (1,098 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -24.9%

A - Clear, pale copper body with a thin very pale tan head that fades... faded very quickly.

S - Malty aroma with little to offer.

T - It has an odd aftertaste and that which comes first isn't much better.

M - The texture is coarse throughout with with much of the feel to the roof of my mouth.

~ The label reads, "Rich & Flavorful" but I beg to differ. (358 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +29.1%

"Rich and Flavorful" it says. We will see about that.

Clear, faint amber color, big, creamy off-white head. Nice.

Wisps of grain and cereal...hardly any hops. But not bad. Just the barest of anything, I guess.

Taste: Hmmm. Smooth. Light tickle of hops, agreeable cereal mash flavor...good and moist...light bodied, to be sure.
I pull to my lips again, and am left not unsatisfied. If I couldn't have alcohol, and wanted to fit into a social situation where others where drinking, this wouldn't be bad.
I'm not sure why this gets such low marks, if anyone's reviewing to style. You really can't compare it to real beer. Heck, it's probably better than a lot of beer with alcohol.

It has flavor, not necessarily rich, better more than you expect. Long finish, malty, dry. It's missing something, but ... isn't that the reason it exists?

So, not a bad fill-in for those who need it.
(A little ashamed I'm praising an A-B product, but, hey, it is what it is. And it ain't bad, for that.) (993 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Pale amber color with a fair head.

Smell: Not much there, but maybe some light hops lingering in the background.

Taste: Pretty bland, but smooth. Some hop bitterness at the end, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This wasn't absolutely horrible or offensive, but with these Low Alcohol Beers, I just have to ask myself: What's the point? (407 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +29.1%

A bottle poured into a plastic cup. It was around, so I grabbed it.

A: The beer is very amber, a caramel brown color with a finger of white head. The color is just dark enough to leave it opaque.

S: The aroma is loaded with bready malts and a semi-sweet caramel flavor. Not the most exciting but very unusual.

T: The maltiness is upfront, caramel and bread throw all they've got at you. Following them are, well, very little. Hops are an afterthought and any boozy warmth has been neutered. The result is a bready soda water with few redeeming qualities. I'd rather stick with Budweiser.

M: Malty, loaded with semi-sweet caramel. This beer isn't afraid to show off that side. The hoppiness is more muted with a 'nothing to see here' mentality.

D: One was enough. Yeah, I ticked the style, waddya want me to say? I'd prefer my beer with booze in it. (853 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -35%

Have a few cans of this left over from a friend. Poured into a glass this is a light amber color with a cream colored head that was here, then gone! The aroma was mild with some hints of malt. The taste was very metallic and watery at the same time. There was not much taste of malt and maybe a syrupy sweetness that was out right gross. NA is not for me! (355 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +57%

I like this a lot, and regular ODouls as well. I had four of these today.

I usually prefer barley wine style, but let's face it- you don't always want to get lit or hungover. When you're a parent, that's more often than not.

This stuff is easily as good as any of the big lager swills like Bud, Milller, Pabst. You can drink all you like, which is tough to do with pop or beer usually.

Definitely not as bad as the rap it gets here. I wonder if you can legally drink it while driving? (487 characters)

Pours a mild amber color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems normal.

Aroma is pretty sweet with a hint of brown sugar in the nose. Hmm, more than I can say for the other version of this beer.

Taste is full of caramel, sweet malt and an odd flavor overall in the middle. Hard to stomach.

Mouthfeel is thin and full of caramel and an otherwise undesirable aftertaste. Certainly not impressive.

Avoid unless you absolutely must drink a n/a beer. It has a bit more flavor than some n/a beers but not enough. (516 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -10.1%

With no doubt, this one is the tastiest non-alcoholic beer i ever tasted; with an amber golden color; smooth smell; in the taste there is an accentuated malt with an end of cereal, very good.

I know this is a not alcoholic beer, but... with the food, tastes like a real beer, truly.

Homever i can't give a good calification to a non-alcoholic beer. (351 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -8%

I thought I should try this just because it was around. I probably shouldn't have.

Color is hazy amber with, to its credit, at least a little head but no lacing.

Smell is...artificial. Very fake. Malt and sugar and...maybe some grainy hops hidden.

The taste is the same. Possibly some graininess, at least there's that, but no balance.

It's quite thin. Poor finish and lingering garbage aftertaste.

Not quite the worst thing, but generally quite unpleasant. (463 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Ap: golden amber color with one finger head
Sm: pale and thin
Ta: grainy, smooth, sweet
Mf: light
Dr: Actually tasted pretty okay at first, but by the time I finished, not so much. I can drink a beer (kind of) without screwing up the numbers in Turbo Tax. I'll have another when I forget how the first one tasted. (313 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +30%

Reviewed with the NA beer consideration. Numbers do not compare to regular beers, only other NAs.

A - Small read reduces to ring, then nothing. Some sudsy lacing. Straw with just a splash of red tint to it. Kinda like a slight concentrated macro.

S - Light malty and a little metallic.

T - Sweet malt, some hop note, but not much. Pretty dry finish.

M - Pretty thin, but good coating.

D - C'mon, it's pretty drinkable. Doesn't get you messed up, not filling at less than 100 cal per, and it doesn't taste too different than the malt tea I make.

I think it's jes fine! (573 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +4.2%

for some reason, i decided to get a 6-pack. i think i drank 2, then the rest have been sitting on the back porch. then i got an idea: cook with it! wasn't bad to simmer some vegetales, but...

bottle at room temperature, poured into frosted pint glass. okay, so it gets a handicap

looks: nice colour, light carbonation, giant 3-inch head that dies down to thin cover. moderate lacing

nose: sweet maltiness. im actually hopeful.

taste: metal tinny fizz, then pleasant malt, then back to more metallic fizz. and like decaf coffee, there is that sense of emptiness when i drink it - tho this could be the placebo effect

mouthfeel: a bit dry, a bit of that sweet malt...not that bad

drinkability: light bodied, not so unpleasant...this is fairly drinkable. 2 problems: 1) too expensive to justify, and 2) who the hell would drink this in large quantities, unless you were on a post-atkins carb-binge?? (902 characters)

2.46/5  rDev +3.8%

I might as well cut and paste my regular O'Doul's review. This stuff tastes almost exactly the same. Perhaps the amber color is from food coloring? Probably not, but you never know.

A: Reddish amber colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: Rice, straw and maybe a little toffee sweetness.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and a slightly sweet maltiness. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: And this is different from regular O'Doul's because? I stand by my initial statement. Passable, but not worth a revisit. (739 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -50.2%

I think this is O'Douls with a bit of red food coloring. It pours amber and has a short lived fizzy head. The body is light and again a bit fizzy. Not much flavor here. Just some light grains. The nose is like old cut grass. I don't think I'll be having this again, actually I'm sure of it. (290 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a clear amber color with one finger of bright white head. Decent retention and no lacing.

The aroma is basically nonexistent. All I get is a very faint bready malt but even that's a stretch.

The taste is not nearly as horrible as I predicted. It actually has a slight hop bitterness with some bready malt component. It's a bit metallic as well.

The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with tons of carbonation.

The drinkability is fairly low. Sure at .5% ABV it's "sessionable' (haha), but it's just not enticing to drink. (531 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -50.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint.

Decent amber coloring no head to speak of. But very blah.

Smells like someone put three packets of Splenda in it.

Taste is awful. WAY to sweet with no hop balance. It tasted like I was drinking a liquidated and watered down caramel sweet.

Awful. Purely awful. (293 characters)

2.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured a fine light amber color with some nice head and a bit of lacing, along with a lot of carbonation. Very weak scent, a little malty, but nothing much else. Very weak taste, hints of an amber beer on in there, but other than a light malt flavor, I got nothing. It does go down smooth, though.

I thought I'd try this style just to see if it was worth the while. I'm glad I did, now I know to stick with regular beer or to get a coke. (438 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -4.6%

Here's a beer style I'm new to - the 'Low Alcohol Beer'. This was one of two leftovers I snagged at a surprise birthday party I attended earlier tonight, both of which were gladly given away and were beers I wouldn't normally purchase or seek out. This is a 12 oz. twist-off capped bottle with a '21MAR08' Born On Date. Poured at home to a pint glass...

'RICH AND FLAVORFUL' is imprinted on label and cap.

A: What a strange head. Huge, well over 4-fingers, and an off-white creamy/soapy froth that sits for quite a while before slowly receding. Liquid is a crystal clear copper/light amber with a scattering of bubbles floating to the foamy ceiling. What lace there is sticks in broad splotches.

S: Very faint aroma of grainy malt and maybe a hint of nuts; smells a bit dusty and has a slight tart fruitiness. Even as this warms, there's not really an improvement/strengthening of the aroma.

T: Initial sip was fairly benign, with a slight tinny backing to light, caramel malts that smack of sweet corn. Thin grassy/floral hops. Dries in the finish to a a chalkier bitterness. Can claim to be 'flavorful', but the flavors aren't necessarily any good.

M: Thin and watered down feeling, seems like this was run through a strainer several times over to produce a blander, weakened essence of an Amber. An odd gummy maltiness clings to the back of the tongue and makes me reach for the tongue-scraper.

D: I get that this is a non-alcoholic beer, but when it repeatedly claims to be 'rich and flavorful' I expected much more. This has always been one of those creations I just don't get; it's similar to decaf coffee in the way it attempts to alter a beverage's 'bad' traits to make it accessible to someone who might not be able to enjoy it otherwise. Frankly, it comes off as a poor representation of any style (let alone an 'Amber') and, hence, has low drinkability for me. Glad, I suppose, to have tried this but I'd pass if offered another - even for free. (1,962 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +12.7%

I feel that nearly everyone who rates a NA has no clue, no one seems to realize the difference between a regular beer and a beer brewed specifically to be alcohol free (or close to it)... I sometimes have to drink NA's due to driving so i actually try to enjoy them and more so, appreciate them for what they offer... Now that I have that semi rant over...Pours a medium brown colour with a low- medium head, smell is of older malts and a strange maple syrup hybrid... taste is kinda pleasant, similar to Shiner Bock but not as off putting... a surprise actually, better than most imported NA beers and easily one of the more drinkable American NA beers! ..regular o'douls might be crap, but this at least has some hope! (720 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +72.2%

Pours a dark copper color with thin lace of head that doesn't dissipate completely. Smells like a macro lager except with a little more malty aroma. The taste is quite surprising. I have to give it a five because even though it doesn't have as much flavor as a beer with normal level of alcohol, you can't get more flavor out of a low alcohol beer than this. It's malty and has a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is high carbonated and crisp. I would give this a higher drinkability rating, but you obvious can't get any buzz out of this. (534 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -33.8%

A - Clear amber with a fizzy short-lived head and no lace.

S - Lightly toasty and pretty acrid....sort of smells like a watered down amber ale mixed with a really bitter pils.

T - Vinegary and a little bitter with some caramel and toast. Very weak....nearly flavorless really. You basically have to swish with it to taste anything.

M - Watery, thin, and flimsy.

D - If you really need to avoid alcohol, then I guess this isn't terrible, but your better off just drinking half of a real beer. (495 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +16%

Had this at a neighbor's house when nothing else was available. Figured it would be interesting. I have had a number of these 0.5% "beers" and some I like fine once you get over the fact that they are never much like any real beer. I call them by the old fashioned term, cereal beverage. Anway, this one looked pretty good with a fairly dark golden brown color, a big frothy white head and even a bit of lacing on my mug. The aroma was OK too, a bit of brown sugar and wheat, clean. But the taste was far below some of the imported ones I have generally liked, like Haake Beck, St. Pauli's and Clausthaler. The immediate impression is with how thin and weak flavored this feels and tastes. It is well carbonated, very sprite and as a result can be called a refreshing drink perhaps, but the flavor implied by the aroma is quickly lost in a peppery and watery drink that has a metallic overtone It's very thin and just a hint of some wheat here. I thought the Amber might hold some promise but don't bother with this when there are much better choices for the no/low alcohol options. Sure you could drink plenty of these like any other of it's kind but why would you? Handy in the desert I suppose... (1,199 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours an amber brown, with a quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Smells of light caramel malts, though the overall smell is very faint.

T: Tastes of some malts, some caramel, a touch of hops, but really not that much more different than your average macro.

M: Bad, it feels just like water in the mouth, the carbonation is very low, though the initial head would say otherwise.

D: Since it is so low in alcohol, it can be drunk just like water, I had no problems drinking it, I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be revisiting this one. (558 characters)

2.51/5  rDev +5.9%

a: amber in color with half inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a little bit of lacing
s: caramel malt aroma is detectable as well as some faint floral hops
t: caramel malts are really the only detectable flavor, there is a very slight bitterness, however i find the flavor rather bland
m: light bodied beer with average amonud of carbonation

overall this isnt a bad example of a low alcohol beer (408 characters)

O'Doul's Amber from Anheuser-Busch