2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

BudweiserBudweiser

awful

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,940 | Reviews: 1,414 | Show All Ratings:
DSupernor

Maine

3.28/5  rDev +40.8%

A good inexpensive beer. Better than most others in its price range. Goes down easy and is a good beer if attending a sporting event or hanging out in the country. Its not my top choice to purchase at a store, but is a go to when going out to dinner. There is a lot of hype behind the beer due to all the marketing behind it which might make it seem better than it is. Still an average to slightly above average beer.

04-23-2014 19:07:04 | More by DSupernor
Premo88

3.59/5  rDev +54.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsner

L: straw, very pale yellow, crystal clear; about 2/3-inch white foam head, a little sticking and lacing

S: grain ... a hint of barley sweetness; watered-down lemon; hint of bread malt sweetness

T: very kolsch-like ... some barley malt sweetness, not bready or like biscuits but still sweet, with the slightest taste of earthy/pepper hops. not bitter. loads and loads of grain taste, no corn (obviously) but lots of cereal grain

F: surprisingly full and not just from over-carbonation -- it's not overly watery

O: i'm shocked, but this isn't half bad, and it's better than a handful of craft beers I've had in the kolsch/blonde ale category. there's next to no hop presence, so it doesn't compare well to pilseners, but octoberfests and dortmunder lagers, yeah ... it's similar to those. everything tastewise is pretty muted, but it has just enough sweetness to it to offer some character.

when in doubt and stuck with the typical BMC offerings, this is a no-brainer. adjunct lagers are thought of as swill, but this is MUCH MUCH better than the BMC "light beer".

04-20-2014 06:01:47 | More by Premo88
andrewhoile1

Nebraska

2.9/5  rDev +24.5%

Not outstanding but not terrible. Definitely not the King of Beers as the slogan says. It's pretty average. Light in coloring, easy to drink, maybe a bit on the watery side. Definitely not the best I've ever tasted but not the worst either. I would drink it at say, a football game.

04-20-2014 04:30:00 | More by andrewhoile1
Ryman777

Maine

3.78/5  rDev +62.2%

I've always enjoyed Budweiser from the time I first tried it and i'm still drinking it. I prefer it to most other beers. It's not too expensive in comparison to most other beers. I generally pick up a 12 pack a week and enjoy every one till the last drop. This one is well worth a try.

04-07-2014 01:30:16 | More by Ryman777
VanStrokin

3.26/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have been drinking Budweiser for about 12 yrs. I love it. But lately I have been exploring and have realized there is better beer out there. It has better taste, appearance, and smell than the rest of beers from the big 3. It is smooth and goes down very well. Bud will always be my beer.

04-06-2014 19:49:48 | More by VanStrokin
ktlthrashers

2.83/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Budweiser really is an anomaly. It really is an average to below average beer but marketing has turned it into a phenomena. Even some of the most loyal Budweiser drinkers don't understand why they drink it.

It's best asset is it's ability to go down with ease. I tailgate a lot for football games and this is my official tailgate beer. Budweiser, MGD, and Coors all go down smooth but Budweiser contains the best taste. If you're just looking to have a good time out in the woods with some music then this may be your winner. If you're going for taste then perhaps not.

04-06-2014 02:30:21 | More by ktlthrashers
JayTime

Idaho

3.49/5  rDev +49.8%

People give this beer low reviews because they not judging it for what it is, a cheaper brew. Bud is actually enjoyable. There's a light grainy taste, but otherwise it's dull tastewise. No bitterness really. Even so I genuinely enjoy havin some Bud for any occasion. It's not overly carbed either so you can chug em down if you so wish.

03-28-2014 14:31:46 | More by JayTime
utopiajane

2.88/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a very pale straw gold with perfect clarity and a loose white head that fell quickly. There is almost no nose on this beer except for a bit of sweetness and as it warms it does start to smell a bit like rice. The taste is also more than subtle with a very neutral rice character that you can begin to taste once you learn that the adjunct in this one is rice not corn. It does have a strange sweetness that could be from the yeast ro could be from the malt, it's hard to define. When I first tasted it I assumed corn, and that's how I found out there is no corn in this. It has a good carbonation but without much flavor that can seem a bit sharp. It actually finishes pretty well. Most corny adjuncts finish with a big sweet bite and a drying out but this one finishes balanced, and completely albeit dry. It does have a bit of an aftertaste like overcooked rice.

03-20-2014 16:34:26 | More by utopiajane
PvtSnowball

2.36/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12 ounce can purchased at the local quick mart.

A: Very pale golden with decent head and retention.

S: Nothing much to speak of, maybe rice?

T: Bland, there is something I just don't care for about this beer. Rice perhaps? There is bitterness about though.

M: Very watery and overly carbonated.

O: Unimpressive considering the price. I can get a better beer of the same style for less $$
Hell, I can buy Yuengling for the same.

03-19-2014 20:17:44 | More by PvtSnowball
SteveB24

3.13/5  rDev +34.3%

appearance; clear yellow, sleigh carnoantion evident, pours thick white head that quickly dissaptes to form some minor, weak lacing.

smell; faint bready, yeast

taste. watered down breadiness, basic yeast, slightly metallic.

mouthfeel.very thin, medium carbonation

overall; i wouldnt call it total crap but i'd never pay for it.

03-18-2014 04:58:11 | More by SteveB24
UCLABrewN84

1.99/5  rDev -14.6%

Canned 2/8/14.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, grass, and slight vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with watery grain, rice, and slight vegetal flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that is somewhat drinkable but just boring and watery all around.

03-18-2014 01:34:37 | More by UCLABrewN84
Kelby777

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

This being the first beer I have tried and this being the first review I have done, I'm not sure if you'll take me seriously. But here's a simple review.

The appearance is great. I put this in my Hofbrauhaus liter beer mug. Every time, it has a nice yellow, almost gold color to it. Nice frothy head depending on which temperature you serve it. When looking into the beer, the bubbles on top remind me of grease bubbles from chicken broth.

The smell of the beer is pretty poor. Smells like a mixture of alcohol and.piss. But people don't go to bars to 'smell' the beer.

The taste of it is fairly good. Its balanced and has a taste that is not too overpowering. Its not bitter like some of the beers I have drank in the past. I don't think they use a lot of hops. Crisp taste, but then goes to a light alcohol burn after that. But its not too bad.

This beer feels watered down a little. This isn't a beer for the most experienced beer drinkers in the world... Its easy to drink, which is why I like it. Its smooth, and makes you want to drink more.

Overall, this is a beer for people to start out on, or people that aren't ready for too much of a bold taste. This beer is not bold, but its not lacking in flavor either! Pretty much anyone can drink it, and that's why its considered the king of beers.

03-14-2014 15:54:54 | More by Kelby777
nota

3.08/5  rDev +32.2%

Everyone need to try a Budweiser even if it is only once. This is not as bad as some make it out to be. It is what it is and that is an American adjunct lager. It is not much different than many of the retro brews that have gain popularity. I have done a few blind taste test against some of the other more favorable adjunct lagers and I found Budweiser actually taste better. The beer has a soft water feel in the mouth. It finishes with a crisp aftertaste. I guess if I had a choice of adjuncts, rice would be my choice over corn. The slight dimethyl sulfide finish makes it appealing.

Serving type: nitro-can

03-12-2014 01:49:50 | More by nota
chinchill

South Carolina

2.86/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

16 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours with a somewhat fizzy white head, excellent clarity, and plenty of visible carbonation.

Feel: Light watery body; crisp, coarse carbonation

Very mild bready aroma; floral; faint hint of hops

Flavor: decent lager flavor but too little of it and more rice than I prefer.

03-02-2014 23:49:54 | More by chinchill
Caveworm

2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Oh boy, good ol' Budweiser. The "Great American Lager", as they say. For an American adjunct, it could be a lot worse, but the slogan has brainwashed a million of my fellow countrymen. Although, this is not to say by any means that I dislike Budweiser. Its where I, and I'm sure much of you, started way back when we didn't know any better. I'd say this is my "back-up" while exploring the world of brews. An "if all else fails" beer, so to say. The same applies when I can't dish out that extra cash for craft brew. So with this said, ol' reliable will be always a staple in my life,regardless of how many other brews i have and will try.

02-26-2014 02:03:03 | More by Caveworm
brutusmuktuk

1.2/5  rDev -48.5%

Very clear yellow color. Does have a nice white foamy head. Not much of an aroma, and not much of a taste. A notch above Bud Light, but still only tastes like water with a touch of alcohol burn. The only place for a beer like this is when it's the only thing around and you're doing some grilling on a hot day. Just plain not good.

02-17-2014 19:51:02 | More by brutusmuktuk
Retroman40

Kentucky

2.83/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

There's really not much to say about Budweiser that hasn't already been said. It pours out a pale yellow color with a fleeting head. The smell and taste are very light. There is some perceptible hoping and malt but it is very faint. The light body contributes to the very thin mouthfeel although the carbonation level is good. For what it is, Bud is very good. It's nothing special for sure, but hardly as "bad" as many detractors would have you believe.

02-13-2014 09:46:46 | More by Retroman40
GOBLIN

2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

Budweiser

We all know what this beer is right ?

Poured into pint glass

A: my wife actually told me that this beer looked weird in my hand.
S: nothing
T: nothing, but . . . It's consistent. ok , ok, not bad
M: thin and watery
O: again, we all know what this is. But, I will never turn down a cold bud on a summer day . . . Ever ! Always a lil' room in my fridge for this classic.

02-12-2014 03:09:28 | More by GOBLIN
tdslj

4.18/5  rDev +79.4%

Full disclosure: I work as an advertising writer for a company that has Anheuser Busch as a client. But I wasn't paid for this review. I'm doing this on my own time and with beer I paid for.

All that said, I got turned on to craft beer soon after my "get trashed on keystone light" college days. And I really enjoy West coast style beers, like Anchor Steam, Stone IPA and the incomparable Pliney the Elder.

But when I began to work with AB, I had the chance to meet with their brewmaster who is very candid about how good some of the craft beers are (and how inconsistent others are) and how some in the craft community consider Budweiser to be macro-piss.

He took me through a tasting of Budweiser fresh from the vat, and I have to say it was nothing less than a conversion experience. Look, it's an american adjunct lager. Some people just don't like this style of beer. But stand it up next to Anchor California Lager and it more than holds it's own. Next to PBR, Coors, Miller or any other "big" brewer, and it dominates.

Notes: Bottle poured down the middle of a glass with a 3" mouth. 2" collar of foam remained for most of the glass. A gentle sweetness on the tip of the toungue, a mild bitterness in the middle, and absolutely no aftertaste. The beer is designed to allow its yeast strain to stand out. And it does. It's not a vehicle for giant amounts of hops. It's just a damn fine beer.

02-10-2014 02:05:19 | More by tdslj
nicholas2121

Budweiser The Great American Lager. This beer is goes with anything and everything. Great beer to drink. Appearance is a nice Amber color. Smell is that of what beer should smell like. Taste is that of what beer should taste like. Over All Be true to the red white and blue drink Budweiser. A Great Beer at at Great Price. You can't get anymore american than Budweiser.

02-09-2014 05:12:23 | More by nicholas2121
OogieBoogie3

3.63/5  rDev +55.8%

A Tale of Two Beers.

Budweiser is often criticized for having a bland and utterly watered down taste, and in the bottle and can, it is. But for whatever reason, Budweiser is a completely different beer on tap. Now granted almost every beer is a little bit better on draft, but very few taste as noticeably different (and far better at that) than Budweiser does on tap. It's almost staggering, because the draft Budweiser is very smooth, but not bland to even the slightest, and has a sweet, yet malty taste with an after taste you'd expect from a beer aged in wooden barrels. I often like ordering it and asking Bud haters (beer Hipsters) to try it, playing it off as something else, and they end up liking it a lot, shocked to find out that it's Budweiser. My guess is that they water down their canned and bottled counter parts to save money, because It's awful. But Budweiser is a damn good beer on tap.

02-02-2014 07:17:48 | More by OogieBoogie3
whiterabbit

3.21/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - light golden straw color, very clear, strong carbonation present

S - Beer. As we all as youth can remember it. Nothing stands out, nothing offensive.

T - highly carbonated, sweet corn, slight metallic, smooth and easy to drink. Slight crisp finish.

M - crisp, light, Smooth. Nice.

O - Am going there. Simply put, piss off haters. Pull your head out of your snobbish tail. A smooth, easy drinking, good lager. This won't set the world on fire, but a damn fine sessionable lager. Great when you don't have to think about it.

01-27-2014 03:48:24 | More by whiterabbit
Murphious

2.18/5  rDev -6.4%

It doesn't make me cringe to bring it to my nose or mouth like IceHouse so that's a plus.
Other than that, the "soap-suds" head lasts a little longer than dishwater. Color of medium yellow pee. Smells like weak malt with some hops (maybe) and similar odor to the water I pour off after making some Minute-Rice on the stove top.
Beech wood aging probably removes the stronger flavor of hops and leaves the woody rice flavor. Quenches a thirst but only good for the easy buzz and cheap price like most mass produced boring offerings of US mega-breweries. "King of Beers" slogan is embarrassing.

01-15-2014 02:24:02 | More by Murphious
DionysusAwakened

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Let me start by saying I had this beer most recently from a can, but I have had it on tap and from bottles also. I think this beer is very overrated. I am not a lover of lagers in general and prefer heavier beers, but taking that in account is very bad for a lager. There are better American main stream beers such as Samuel Adams. Budweiser's appearance isn't bad, nor is its mouthfeel. Both of those are average, nothing out of the ordinary. A golden color and fairly smooth mouthfeel.

Three things bother me about this beer.

1. It's aroma is nauseating for me. It has a strong chemical smell. It's even worse than drinking Natural Light or KeyStone light because at least those beers don't smell like anything.

2. It's taste is horrible. It maintains the same chemical smell. It starts off tasting like nothing, but quickly before finishing the strong chemical taste comes through. This isn't a metallic taste, this is a chemical taste.

3. I believe strongly that different types of alcohol cause different reactions in people. The higher the quality the less headache or hangover someone will have. This beer, even after only two gives me a strong headache.

I wouldn't recommend this beer. I never purchase it and stay away from it, unless I am desperate to get drunk for some reason and have no other options. Some may love it's taste but if I can give my advice, there are much better beers out there for the same price.

01-12-2014 22:44:13 | More by DionysusAwakened
FrozenJoe

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

Budweiser is a very drinkable beer. It is a light lager. They use adjuncts but the beer does not have harsh or off adjunct flavors.

Appearance is clear and light golden. Many tiny, active bubbles. There is a good sized head that deflates pretty quickly. Some foam and lacing manage to stick around.

Smell is clean and mild. Slightly sweet. Faint white bread. Some alcohol.

Taste is light and clean. Slightly sweet. Mild fruity lager flavor. Very easy to drink. Enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is light but very nice. Good carbonation. Goes down smooth.

Overall Budweiser is a respectable lager. Great for fishing, camping, bbq, etc. Light and clean. Tastes good. Easy to drink. Budweiser is an enjoyable beer.

01-12-2014 05:31:39 | More by FrozenJoe