Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Reviews by wl0307:
1.68/5  rDev -28.2%

This is the first time in the past ten years that I've tried this “legendary” beer. Before I came abroad to the UK for postgraduate studies, back home most people (incl. me) regarded this successfully-marketed imported beer as a superior alternative to the native brand: Taiwan Beer, and rightly so. I guess that's because Taiwan is not a country with an established brewing and beer culture, plus that the beer range was really poor those days due to heavy import tax. But since then I've been converted to real ales and quality lagers in the UK, while joining CAMRA and registering on this site have made me somewhat resentful of, less the beer but more the company A-B for what's been done in the name of “patent-right” (against the genuine Budvar) and its silly muddle about the freshness issue. “I've had enough and I'll never drink it”, I promised myself.

But when my flatmates offered me two bottles for free from his unfinished 24-bottle case after their binge-drinking party (I wonder why they failed to finish’em all??), I think, it shouldn't be a crime as such for “speaking to the devil”, should it, if I could still keep my self-conscience? In any case, I've forgotten the taste of this beer. And I like to see just how bad it could be, or whether people rally against it for A-B's bad image+outrageous behaviour, and less for its beers. So I decided to give it a go.

"Born on" 21 June 2006 (as fresh as it gets???), two bottles poured chilled into a straight imperial-pint glass.
A: pours a palest yellow colour, the most unpalatable hue that I’ve encountered for a technically-defined beer… the loosely-formed, hissing white head dissipates fast, like a glass of Sprite or lemonade, on top of sporadically ascending medium-huge bubbles… How worse could it get, for a “fresh” beer like this?
S: a grainy and cake-like note of malt-extract and a faintly sweet corn-ish note, with the faintest, lemony hop presence as far as my smelling sense is concerned; my GF says there’s a touch of artificial fruity edge, but my nose says there isn’t. Not horrible, but if coming to think of that this is technically a beer, I can’t rate it higher than what it deserves.
T: just like the nose, or even more disappointing, V-E-R-Y bland--corn or cereal like sweet malts upfront, leading towards an aspartame-like thin sweetness in no time, leaving just a bit of toast-like grainy taste and a loose, fizzy and lemon-soda like finish. Well, I can’t taste much of anything else really.
M&D: rather sharp on the mouthfeel and extremely thin-bodied, leaving an artificial feel down the palate, although at least it doesn’t have too much negative bearing from the cheap adjuncts (like sticky or chemical...). Now I know why it’s not liked (to say the least) by so many people who know their beers. It's definitely the bland-est beer I’ve ever had, so much so that even those cheap replicates of this legend taste more exciting than this. Simply boring and bland, not worth my single penny on it.

wl0307, Jul 05, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance – Light yellow in the body with nice-looking carbonation. I was able to work a little head out of the can with some good arm action on the pour.

Smell – Classic American graininess. I thought for a second that I could smell some hops, but I was wrong.

Taste – More grain in the flavor with a touch of gummi-bear sweetness at the finish.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation is just right and it went down pretty smooth for me. No bad surprises here, which is important when striving for mediocrity.

Drinkability – Ice cold, can-fermented, and skunk free make this beer a winner.

Comments – The King is a good standard for American piss beers. It’s smooth, well carbonated, and refreshing. Of course, it’s mostly water with little to no body, but it goes good with pretzels, pizza, or a four pound salt lick.

RoyalT, Aug 17, 2003
3.53/5  rDev +50.9%

Crystal clear. Very light yellowish color topped by a full and foamy bright white head that holds very well. The carbonation is quite fine, leaving thin steady streams of tiny bubbles rising steadily to the surface. Nice appearance! The aroma is quite limited with just vaugue indications of malt, hops, fermentation esters and alcohol. The body is light with a gentle carbonation and a slightly creamy mouthfeel. The flavor is quite one-sided, however, with only a very light malt character ever so gently buoyed by hop bitterness and a light "apple" character from fermentation. The finish is "short and sweet" with only a residual malt and next to non-existant bitterness. Refreshing! This is the best selling beer in the world for a reason. Although limited in character, it displays no flaws whatsoever. There is nothing even remotely objectable about it - a true "beer for the masses".

NeroFiddled, Aug 22, 2002

davemarc87, Mar 25, 2014

mojohawk21, Wednesday at 01:48 AM

cam477, Aug 26, 2013
2.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Budweiser is running all sorts of specials for the World Cup, so I find myself drinking it during an Ecuador in order to get some free calamari and garlic bread at an Italian Restaurant. Might as well review.

A/N/T: 5% ABV carbonated water. Completely nonoffensive. Completely lacking in anything.

MF: Crisp, wet, light bodied.

D: Decent but not as high as PBR or High Life. I'll stick with them in the future when free squid isn't a factor.

DaPeculierDane, Jun 09, 2006

beerhunter13, Sep 30, 2012

Turbo, Oct 14, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Buuuhhh.... What to say about Budweiser that hasn't been said already? Had on tap, bottle, can - take your pick. The beer is a pale straw color, slightly golden with remarkable clarity (hey, at least it has something going for it). Fizzy white head disappears so quickly that you can't even really call it a head. The aroma is almost non-existent - metallic hints, corns, grains, sulfur, maybe some leafiness but nothing that really resembles a hop. Taste is basically the same - corns, pale malts, and some graininess. No really hop flavor or even bitterness for that matter. Astringency and over-carbonation are king of the hill here. Thin, thin body with a super-dry, super crispy finish. Aftertaste has a thin, grain flavor but not much else.

Budweiser is slightly better than Bud Light. But really, what is that saying? I remember after years of drinking Bud Light, I finally had a Budweiser and thought it had so much flavor. Heh, how the times have changed.

tectactoe, Jan 25, 2013

Hoppin_mad, May 03, 2014

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014
1.6/5  rDev -31.6%

This beer is not one to brag about by any means. It is way over carbonated and the taste is something that I personally can hardly bare at times. I always finish my beer but, with this beer I find it a challenge to do so. I even at times suffer from headaches resulting from this brew. However, it is a cheap beer and people find it somewhat "American" to drink it. But I, as a beer drinker, prefer a beer with much more character. You get what you pay for. But I will not pay for a Bud.

eduque14, Jan 04, 2012

BubalooBrewMaster, Dec 26, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -25.2%

Kcastr01, Jun 29, 2014
2.88/5  rDev +23.1%

I was recently at a wedding reception and I had Bud for the first time in about 3 years. Although the pour was pretty weak and the smell was of your typifal grain and rice, the taste was pretty smoothe if your goal is just toi get fucked up! It had a decent sweet malfy flavor with almost no hint of hops in the taste. If you are looking for a beer to go down smoothly then this is to one!

Dmann, Sep 04, 2003