Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,545 | Hads: 5,507
2.21/5  rDev -11.2%

When I poured this it had a nice golden hue. I noticed bubbles throughout the pint glass and there was a decent amount of head which dissipated after about a minute. When I smelled this beer I didn't really notice much of anything. The same goes for the taste. I detected some grain in there but overall this was very bland. Of the big three American beer makers this is probably the worst. (390 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -51.8%

I was in a situation earlier today in which I was able to acquire a bottle of this for free. I realized this is one of a very few of the most popular macro adjunct lagers I had not yet posted a review of so I figured what the hell why not? Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a twist off bottle cap into one of my pint glasses, this pours an extremely clear, light golden straw color with lots of constant streams of little bubbles rising to the beer's surface. I gave it a pretty rough put in an attempt to get a decent head on this, but to no avail. The head was about 1/4 of an inch thick when first poured that diminishes almost immediately to a nice big cluster swirl of a film layer of foam on the beer's surface along with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Has a grainy aroma along with some rice and corn hints I suppose? Much too weak of a smell overall to be able to distinguish very much here. Has a fairly sweet, grainy taste upfront of what I can only assume must be the aforementioned rice and corn. This fades very quickly to, well, nothing after a sip is swallowed. No malted barley flavor or any hint of hop bitterness to speak of. So much for the "choicest hops" and "best barley malt" the label speaks of. If this is was the choicest hops and best barely malt tastes like then I'll gladly stick to the malted barley and hops that many of my favorite craft breweries use in their beers thank you very much! I can't taste even the faintest trace of any malted barley of hops. None whatsoever. Period! If any are actually used in the production of this beer, the amounts must be so small that the flavors are unable to be detected by the human taste bud. That said, the taste is not foul or offensive by any means like I find it to be with some other macro adjunct lagers I've tried over the years, it is just that there is barely any flavor profile here to speak of whatsoever. On a hot summer night, drinking this cold is actually refreshing the way drinking seltzer water is. Nothing wrong with that at all, but that is not at all what I look for want when drinking a beer. This is certainly not what beer is ever supposed to be. Has a clean finish and a slightly grainy and sweet, faint aftertaste. Has a crisp, yet also smooth and frothy, light bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Malt liquor such as Colt 45 and Olde English 800 have a stronger and better tasting flavor profile than this does. Drinking this again for the first time in 3 years served to remind me of the fact that there are some decent adjunct lagers out there that have a decent and decently strong flavor profile for what they are and that I don't mind drinking one or two of once in awhile. Beers like PBR, Labatt Blue, Miller High Life, Red Stripe, Rolling Rock, Molson, Quilmes, Straub, Black Label, Hue, and Cobra. I was quite disappointed with this, as I was expecting to be. Avoid!

Eric (2,936 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I'm drinking the English 4.8% version, so this may be a bit skewed, but probably not my much. A pissy smell gradually subsides after the initial pour, along with almost all of the head. Grassy adjunct with a hint of taste that is only akin to how I think baby's vomit might taste like, with a physically dry aftertaste. Brewed with the "choicest hops, rice, and best barley malt," indeed.

At least Mexican lagers make sense in their context to me. This beer makes no sense and as a "world renowned king of beers," it's brand narrative is disingenuous to boot. (560 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +20.9%

12 oz brown bottle into a Pilsner Glass

A - Clear. Pale straw in color. Very fast rising carbonation. Bubble white head that dissipates quickly to a thin lacing. 2.75/5

S - Light grains. More roasted than toasted. Corn. Grassy hops. Ever so slight green apple aroma. 3/5

T - Very light cereal grains and rice. Not as much corn as expected based on the aroma. Earthy. Grassy hops on the back end provide a slight bitterness. Aroma made me expect more from the flavor. Simple, nothing eye popping or shocking here. No off flavors to speak of. 3/5

M - Scrubbing bubbles sensation from the carbonation. Very crisp, clean, and very dry. Gone as soon as it's swallowed. Very light bodied. 3.25/5

O - Good beer to have with food or while watching a game (pretty much the same goes for every beer of this style honestly). Very light bodied beer that sits comfortably and has a nice, enjoyable, familiar flavor. 3/5 (937 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Check in and first Bud ever. Not bad, just a little sweet without any real distinct grain or hop flavours to back it up; it is quite obviously adjunct grain. Not even as crisp as I expected, but overall could be a lot worse. You could be drinking Bud Light (Lime). (265 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had this on tap at a festival where they had their portable "brewmaster's tour" trailer set up, so it was a free sample. (And I'm not going to say no to a free beer on a 90+ degree day.) I hate Bud Light, so I was expecting the same seltzer-water, lightly bitter taste that turns me off so much about it. But actually, Budweiser is okay. Now, I'm sure my rating is skewed a bit by the fact that it was fresh beer and it was ungodly hot outside, but honestly, it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Tastes like light barley malt and some mild hops, and not much else. But not too watery and not extremely fizzy. I don't hate it, and if someone had this, Coors/Miller/Bud Light at a barbecue or something similar, I'd gravitate towards Budweiser every single time. (766 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -2%

Wasn't as godawful as I'd remembered/expected. Actually detected a bit of body, and some soft grain and hop suggestions! I know, really shocking. But what may have played a part was the six-pack of Grapefruit Sculpin I had first. And for the record, I didn't finish the Bud. (274 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +80.7%

Honestly one of the best balanced beers this world has ever seen. The addition of the rice adjunct provides the light color and helps with the crisp flavor of this classic American beer. Speaking critically, this is a fantastic beer. (235 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Excellent degreaser for tools and car engines. Kidding, kidding. Hey Its not bad if its ice cold and the day is hot. Its has a little too much carbonation and the taste is weak and a little bitter. What ever you do, and this is very important, never let your Budweiser get a little bit warm. It will be undrinkable. More so than any other beer ever made, or will be made, in the world. (386 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Poured from a 16oz can with a "born on date" of 05/18/15

Pours a light pale straw color with a decent white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little more than a wisp of lacing.

Aromas of boiled rice with subtle estery notes of caramel and green apple candy.

Taste is quite light with a mild upfront sweetness giving way to a mildly pleasant mid-palate. The finish is quite short and tastes like a damp dust cloth. A used damp dust cloth.

This can be guzzled for maximum effect. Pretty neutral and non-offensive. Actually tastes much better straight from the can. Refreshing and nondescript. (607 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Cfrom bottle, clear pale golden color with white head. Malty grainy cornish aroma. Sweet and light bitter taste. Light thin body with soft to average carbonation (161 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -47.8%

Had to drink it for a whole weekend at a festival. I almost puked after taking a sip at the end of a night. Every time I drink it I'm telling myself I will never pay for this crap again....

For the record though, there's lot of lager that I don't care to drink, but Budweiser is just awful. (291 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +15.3%

Fizzy yellow beer, light. Smells kinda nasty, tastes considerably better. Don't drink from a bottle or can, only get on tap or you will regret life. (150 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -57.4%

Seriously. I don't have anything nice to say about this, so, I'll just leave it at that. (However, I got to say that it was one of the few beers that I ever had that gave me a head ache while I was drinking it.) (211 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

As someone who doesn't have lots of money to spend on beer, this is my go-to. There is nothing exceptional about Budweiser, but it's refreshing and iconic. (155 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass.
Clarity is good,lite straw colored.
Carbonation steadily feeds a thin cap, mouth feel is crisp.
Flavor profile muted, but a gentle hop presence.
Overall as I remembered.
Cheers (223 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I heard this used to be a good beer 100 years ago....and 60 years ago it was still decently hoppy, and quite good...what a shame what this beer has turned into (159 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +18.1%

I'm not big on the "adjunct" lagers. That said, this one is probably the best I've had. Not much else to say. If you're a beer drinker, I'm sure you've had this one. Not for me, but it's kind of a right of passage into the world of beer. (237 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -14.1%

Pale. Stinky like yeast. Taste clean, but in a sterile, martian type sense. Only hints of grain and yeast. Don't insult your girlfriend's dad if he offers you one, but don't expect anything but frequent trips to the urinal and(or) a hangover from this one. (260 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I decided to revisit this old classic. Purchased a 6pack of 12oz cans for $6.99. This beer pours your hay/straw color with good carbonation and quite the head. The smell is rice and yeast, Taste is about on par with other American Lagers, a little bit crisp and not as water down as others within the style. 5% abv is hidden well. I'm going to come right out and say this is not a terrible beer, the worst part about it is that I paid over a dollar a can when I could have gotten a better crafted beer with higher quality ingredients at roughly the same cost in something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. So for that reason I was left with some buyers remorse. (657 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -34.5%

Not the best beer I have ever had, but we all grew up sneaking these things out of someone's house while we were under 21. Anyway, as an adult, I just can't enjoy these. The taste is very watered down, mild, and boring. They are average at best. (247 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -12%

Cheap watered down beer, great for a light one or two at a BBQ but thats as good as it gets.
Smells slightly fruity, fresh mineral water taste , not much to it. Goes down like water. (183 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +50.2%

The appearance was yellow and a lot of foam. The smell was of fruits such as apple and pineapple. The taste was a lot of wheat and yeast. Overall, if someone offered me a Budweiser I would not say no but I would not go out and buy it. (234 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Traditional lager that everyone knows. Not very unique, but i can see how it would be pleasurable to those who do not go outside of their comfort zone when it comes to beer. (173 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -39%

Oh gosh... All this beer does is remind of a horrible smell of all college housing. When poured it is a golden color and is very misleading. It makes you think hey this might actually taste good and be refreshing. However, it personally reminds me of a cheap kegger. The beer smells predominately of yeast which leaves it with a few citrusy notes. And when you taste it, it only tastes of yeast, and maybe a bit of barley. Basically it's a beer you can drink like water, going back to why it reminds me of a kegger. It's meant to be a beer you can chug and get down quick not necessarily something you can sit back and enjoy. (625 characters)

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch