Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,562 | Hads: 5,599
2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

Definitely my favorite of the big three. Has a crisp apple flavor in additional to the generic macro-lager taste. I would say that this is the sweetest of the big macros, which I welcome but others might not.

1.12/5  rDev -53.9%

Look-It looks like a beer that you shouldn’t drink.

Smell-It smells of grass and some yeast and has hints of malts.

Taste-The taste reminds you of Bud Light which is also not very good at all.

Mouthfeel-There is not much to feel of this beer other than watery moistness and light-bodied let down.

Overall-I’ve heard them say that you don’t drink it to enjoy, but just to get drunk. If that is the case then you are doing it wrong. Drink better beers, please. You’ll thank me.

2.28/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Budweiser pours a fizzy golden color, with a quickly dissipating head. There is a grainy and sugary aroma. The taste is grainy, watery, and has a harsh sugary aftertaste. Flat body. Overall, it is what you expect, the adjunct flavors come out strong, and way too sweet.

1.82/5  rDev -25.1%

Excluding the light versions from AB this is about as generic a beer as you could ever have. The only redeeming quality is that it is consistent although I am not sure consistently generic is a redeeming quality.

3.84/5  rDev +58%

Pours our piss yellow. Decent lacing. Carbonation bubbles streaming up the glass. Smells like America, adjunct and some apple. Taste Grains and yeast. I get no hops. Light watery body. Very Drinkable. Clean crisp refreshing dry finish, but not like budlight.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A few days ago I had this on tap at a generic sports bar and now I'm having it in the 10 oz. cans that are so popular in St. Mary's County, Maryland for no explicable reason.

It looks yellow, like light piss. Er, I mean straw. It smells... like almost nothing. It tastes... like a light beer. When I had it on tap I actually asked to make sure they gave me regular Bud instead of Bud Light. The use of very rice is noticeable compared to other AALs. The "corn flakes" taste I've even come to enjoy a bit with beers like National Bohemian is completely absent, replaced by qualities that remind me rather of rice milk.

Overall this beer is okay. I'd say it's no better or worse than PBR. Budweiser is what my dad always drank and it sure caused more than a few arguments between him and my mother. Thanks for the childhood memories, Bud.

The look is a straw yellow color with a 2 finger head. Beers of this genre tend to all look similar.

The smell is of rice and grains, one doesn't pick up much of a hoppy smell at all, maybe slightly in the background, but this beer doesn't smell bitter whatsoever.

The taste is the best part about Budweiser aka the King of Beers. It is a simply delicious taste that is smooth and crisp EVERY TIME. It tastes of grain and rice not hops. This beer doesn't taste bitter or hoppy whatsoever. It is just the perfect beer for every occasion that one can think of. The taste is always the same, they get it right every time.

The feel is a great part about drinking Budweiser. It has a nice carbonation and is as drinkable as water. Although it's as drinkable as water, it definitely has flavor. The mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth and each one goes down faster than the last.

Budweiser is an amazing beer. People look down on it because it's a macro beer mass produced not craft etc. There's a reason why this beer is the King of Beers, because they have made the perfect beer for every occasion. Beer snobs step aside and grab one while watching the game or grilling out. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It just goes with everything, everywhere, every situation. The Budweiser Brewery Tour in St. Louis was amazing also. Much more appreciation for this beer when you see the steps needed to brew this beer in person.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not a rating for a beer. Budweiser is not beer, as defined by the Germans, and they ought to know. The first American brew to qualify as a beer under the German purity laws in decades was Samuel Adams Boston Lager in 1985. This is a rating for an alcoholic malted beverage with some characteristics that are reminiscent of a lager. Of course, that's true for every one of the adulterated/adjunct macro brews - especially any Miller, any Coors, any product of the company formerly known as Pabst, and the Pennsylvania stuff that somehow managed to be called "craft" in the latest definition. Bud avowedly is not craft. It also is not beer, per German law, although it claims to be in the U.S.

Here's what's crazy about Bud. The Busch family is insanely proud of it. They think it's awesome. Recently, they even checked cryogenically frozen beer, discovered that Bud got too light on the hops over the past 40 years, and ordered more. They go to extreme lengths to insure that every Bud is brewed with the same yeast. Sure they want uniformity, but uniformly bad can't be it. What's all the fuss about?

Imho, without question Budweiser is the best of the mega brews. There's good reason why Budweiser has owned the market for industrial beer since 1957. Bud is cut with rice. The other industrial brews are cut with corn. They're all cut with something. Rice lightens the flavor, but does not add the skunk and faint garbage taint of the other adjunct lagers. Bud reportedly is cut with up to 30% rice. It's not just a grain or two. Every Bud is the same, so if one is cut 30% they all are cut 30%. Still, under Japanese purity laws Budweiser does not qualify as saki.

Budweiser always should be decanted. Sure, it's a cheap beer. I saw 30 cans for $14 at Wal-Mart. This price suggests that you should not, under any circumstances, drink it. On the other hand, if you're broke or don't have any other options at the ball game, go for it. Why not?

The color is light yellow. It's not completely clear like water. They use some barley - enough to give it a tint. It's perfectly clear, and looks very clean. Perfect industrial QC in action. Bud has little head and cannot keep it. Rice neither retains nor laces, apparently.

Budweiser has a smell that's not unattractive, but it's not like beer. If you smell a Samuel Adams Boston Lager, you smell noble hops, malt, perhaps a hint of cracker. Bud doesn't smell like anything. It's a slightly sweet or nutty smell if you try real hard to detect anything, and there's something pleasant there, but basically it's closest to nothing at all. However, Bud doesn't stink. Take a good whiff of the other macrobrews or Corona, especially if their temperatures rise at all. Generally, they stink. They actually smell bad. That's the Bud advantage in that mix. It's nothing, instead of bad. Why do people drink this? Oh yeah, it's Bud or the one that smells like garbage at the stadium. Although I put away gallons of Miller and Coors in my youth, I won't touch any macro other than Bud, since they smell faintly of garbage. I'm pretty sure that's not good for you. Bottom's up, King of Beers - unless I can find anything else at all.

Budweiser has a taste that's not unattractive. It's not a beer flavor. It's a very, very mild sweetness, and a very mild bitterness. Many macro drinkers will say Bud is bitter. I've heard it. It's like below 10 on the IBU. So, I don't know why they say Bud's bitter. It must be less sweet than the other macros, which use sweet corn instead of rice. If you try really hard to detect it, you might stretch and say that Bud's flavor is a little bit nutty, and a little bit fresh, but that's not it. Bud's flavor is nothing. Bud's flavor is closest to nothing at all, but with some sort of sweet-sour effect mixed in with the nothing almost enough for it to be something.

Budweiser is an extraordinarily light malted beverage. It's insubstantial. What if feels most like is just plain water, which probably explains Bud's popularity on a hot day. This water, however, is 5% ABV.

Overall, drink a good craft lager. Samuel Adams isn't 50 cents per can, but it's not that much. Drink less, and enjoy it more. If all you've got to choose is an industrial brew, specifically including hipster Pabst Blue Ribbon, Lone Star, or anything from Shiner, Bud's the lesser evil.

3.69/5  rDev +51.9%

12 oz. bottle with an easy to find, easy to read born on date that puts this at 2 months old. Take note, craft breweries.

For whatever reason, I prefer this one out of the bottle. A perfect, crisp AAL for a hot day. When summer is around, I crave an ice cold Bud.

For the style, it's at the top of its game. And I've never had an "off" bottle of Budweiser. Ever. Again, take note, craft breweries.

1.72/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Budweiser is only drinkable out of a can while out on the lake on a hot summer day or while grilling outside on a scorching hot summer day. Your brain tricks you into liking it because it is so hot outside and your body wants something to drink. I have to admit I will drink it from a bottle at a mexican restaurant because it surprisingly goes well with a meal from a mexican dive restaurant. Other than the instances I have mentioned I do not drink Budweiser. You will find this beer smells and taste skunky. You do not want to sit on your couch, cut on a good TV show and crack open a Budweiser. You will question your life choices

1.4/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Budweiser... Pumping out a ridiculous amount of beer yet always retaining that same taste. This beer pours a clear straw yellow color with a finger head that disappears quickly. The smell is a very faint one but it smells like sweet malts. The taste is more of the same. It's a light beer with a good amount of carbonation. This beer is what it is. It's a Budweiser it's not trying to be anything that it's not. It's never my first choice but whenever I have it I know what I'm getting into. To sum it up in one word it would be "meh"

1.84/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Yeah, I know right? Well, come to find out I never did a review on ol' Budweiser and that is because I found this 16 ounce cool aluminum can in my beer cooler. Somebody was trying to pull a funny on me as I haven't even drank one of these for a good 20+ years, and there is a good reason why. Ha! Can was chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier" thumb-print goblet.

Brew pours a light straw-yellow in color with really no head to speak of. Same with the lacing. Aroma is of sweet malts and grains for the most part with a hint of corn even. Pretty much is said for the taste. Not really good at all in my opinion and probably is why I haven't drank it in 20+ years. Not seeing me drinking it again either, even if it was free and no other beers to drink. Lighter to medium-bodied with high carbonation as you can see lots of bubbles streaming up from the sides and bottle of the glass. Overall, not for me.

2.06/5  rDev -15.2%

Enjoyed at a Argentinian steakhouse because it was the free beer that came with the meal. In keeping with their macro self pride and bashing of micros it was served with meat and lots of it. Used as merely a liquid to wash down massive quantities of food, as they purport, it served well. As far as a taste I really didn't get any vibes except for a soda pop like carbonation, a way too sweet adjunct maltiness and a funky beechwood aging that I quickly squelched with further servings of fine meat. I must say it served its purpose as a processing liquid and that is how I must rate it, in keeping with their wishes. PS the next day I was good so all the rumors about "Buttwiper" must just be off. Maybe only two mugs wasn't enough!

3.3/5  rDev +35.8%

Poured into a snifter/tulip/wine glass from a 12oz bottle

A - a translucent light golden yellow, one finger quickly dissipating white almost foamy head and no lacing/legs

S - sweet malt, sweet grains, sweet yeast, sweet fruity hop notes and that is about it.

T - very sweet, lots of carbonation, sweet grains/malts, slight fruity hop note, lots of baking/bread yeast. A simple lager/pilsner.

M - Medium minus body, medium minus acidity, medium to medium plus carbonation, ok balance, ok complexity and a sweet malt/ bread yeast start to finish

D/O - very refreshing, extremely drinkable and the consistency can't be matched. Nothing to complain about but nothing to write home about either. Just simple easy drinking lager style beer.

Final thoughts - At a very low $5-6 a sixer, simple 5.5% ABV and almost refreshing as water. Very drinkable, overly simple and quite tasty for the style.

3.37/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

(8/8 Bottle) - Hops aroma, clean golden appearance with good carbonation. Beer smooth, fresh and easy going down. Great with a meal or enjoying a summer day, and at a ballgame.

2.07/5  rDev -14.8%

2/6 in my AAL tasting

Light golden color, fizzy white head that fades fast.

Smells metallic and slightly sour. A bit of a catty urine smell. Spent grains. Overcooked rice.

Has an bit of a sour note up front, like vague spoiled oats. Leftover rice that has developed mildew. Also very metallic. Very watery. There is a corn syrup sweetness on the finish. There is a bit of a floral sweetness as well, which is the best thing I can say about this beer.

Very watery, very dry, somewhat crisp.

This beer is surprising different from coors. It's not as sweet and has a much more watery moouthfeel. It has a lot more sour and metallic notes. It is the least interesting beer I have ever tasted.

1.5/5  rDev -38.3%

Looks like beer. Haven't had it in years however from what I remember it smells horrible. And it tastes alright as long as its cold. Nothing really stuck out aside. I wouldn't really recommend it

2.21/5  rDev -9.1%

When I poured this it had a nice golden hue. I noticed bubbles throughout the pint glass and there was a decent amount of head which dissipated after about a minute. When I smelled this beer I didn't really notice much of anything. The same goes for the taste. I detected some grain in there but overall this was very bland. Of the big three American beer makers this is probably the worst.

1.2/5  rDev -50.6%

I was in a situation earlier today in which I was able to acquire a bottle of this for free. I realized this is one of a very few of the most popular macro adjunct lagers I had not yet posted a review of so I figured what the hell why not? Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a twist off bottle cap into one of my pint glasses, this pours an extremely clear, light golden straw color with lots of constant streams of little bubbles rising to the beer's surface. I gave it a pretty rough put in an attempt to get a decent head on this, but to no avail. The head was about 1/4 of an inch thick when first poured that diminishes almost immediately to a nice big cluster swirl of a film layer of foam on the beer's surface along with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Has a grainy aroma along with some rice and corn hints I suppose? Much too weak of a smell overall to be able to distinguish very much here. Has a fairly sweet, grainy taste upfront of what I can only assume must be the aforementioned rice and corn. This fades very quickly to, well, nothing after a sip is swallowed. No malted barley flavor or any hint of hop bitterness to speak of. So much for the "choicest hops" and "best barley malt" the label speaks of. If this is was the choicest hops and best barely malt tastes like then I'll gladly stick to the malted barley and hops that many of my favorite craft breweries use in their beers thank you very much! I can't taste even the faintest trace of any malted barley of hops. None whatsoever. Period! If any are actually used in the production of this beer, the amounts must be so small that the flavors are unable to be detected by the human taste bud. That said, the taste is not foul or offensive by any means like I find it to be with some other macro adjunct lagers I've tried over the years, it is just that there is barely any flavor profile here to speak of whatsoever. On a hot summer night, drinking this cold is actually refreshing the way drinking seltzer water is. Nothing wrong with that at all, but that is not at all what I look for want when drinking a beer. This is certainly not what beer is ever supposed to be. Has a clean finish and a slightly grainy and sweet, faint aftertaste. Has a crisp, yet also smooth and frothy, light bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Malt liquor such as Colt 45 and Olde English 800 have a stronger and better tasting flavor profile than this does. Drinking this again for the first time in 3 years served to remind me of the fact that there are some decent adjunct lagers out there that have a decent and decently strong flavor profile for what they are and that I don't mind drinking one or two of once in awhile. Beers like PBR, Labatt Blue, Miller High Life, Red Stripe, Rolling Rock, Molson, Quilmes, Straub, Black Label, Hue, and Cobra. I was quite disappointed with this, as I was expecting to be. Avoid!

1.92/5  rDev -21%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I'm drinking the English 4.8% version, so this may be a bit skewed, but probably not my much. A pissy smell gradually subsides after the initial pour, along with almost all of the head. Grassy adjunct with a hint of taste that is only akin to how I think baby's vomit might taste like, with a physically dry aftertaste. Brewed with the "choicest hops, rice, and best barley malt," indeed.

At least Mexican lagers make sense in their context to me. This beer makes no sense and as a "world renowned king of beers," it's brand narrative is disingenuous to boot.

3.01/5  rDev +23.9%

12 oz brown bottle into a Pilsner Glass

A - Clear. Pale straw in color. Very fast rising carbonation. Bubble white head that dissipates quickly to a thin lacing. 2.75/5

S - Light grains. More roasted than toasted. Corn. Grassy hops. Ever so slight green apple aroma. 3/5

T - Very light cereal grains and rice. Not as much corn as expected based on the aroma. Earthy. Grassy hops on the back end provide a slight bitterness. Aroma made me expect more from the flavor. Simple, nothing eye popping or shocking here. No off flavors to speak of. 3/5

M - Scrubbing bubbles sensation from the carbonation. Very crisp, clean, and very dry. Gone as soon as it's swallowed. Very light bodied. 3.25/5

O - Good beer to have with food or while watching a game (pretty much the same goes for every beer of this style honestly). Very light bodied beer that sits comfortably and has a nice, enjoyable, familiar flavor. 3/5

2.87/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Check in and first Bud ever. Not bad, just a little sweet without any real distinct grain or hop flavours to back it up; it is quite obviously adjunct grain. Not even as crisp as I expected, but overall could be a lot worse. You could be drinking Bud Light (Lime).

2.89/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had this on tap at a festival where they had their portable "brewmaster's tour" trailer set up, so it was a free sample. (And I'm not going to say no to a free beer on a 90+ degree day.) I hate Bud Light, so I was expecting the same seltzer-water, lightly bitter taste that turns me off so much about it. But actually, Budweiser is okay. Now, I'm sure my rating is skewed a bit by the fact that it was fresh beer and it was ungodly hot outside, but honestly, it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Tastes like light barley malt and some mild hops, and not much else. But not too watery and not extremely fizzy. I don't hate it, and if someone had this, Coors/Miller/Bud Light at a barbecue or something similar, I'd gravitate towards Budweiser every single time.

2.44/5  rDev +0.4%

Wasn't as godawful as I'd remembered/expected. Actually detected a bit of body, and some soft grain and hop suggestions! I know, really shocking. But what may have played a part was the six-pack of Grapefruit Sculpin I had first. And for the record, I didn't finish the Bud.

4.5/5  rDev +85.2%

Honestly one of the best balanced beers this world has ever seen. The addition of the rice adjunct provides the light color and helps with the crisp flavor of this classic American beer. Speaking critically, this is a fantastic beer.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch