Microbrew Invitational

BudweiserBudweiser

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,623 | Ratings: 5,893
2.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

When I first started drinking beer, this is what I compared others to. This is what I thought all beer should taste like, well things have changed a lot since those days. A friend gave me a few 12 oz. bottles of this, so here it goes. Been a long time!

L- Pretty boring look to this beer. Light, almost see through yellow. Finger of head that vanished quickly. Good carbonation, no lacing what so ever.
S- Not much there, malt and wheat. Little musty.
T- Smooth drinking beer, don't taste the adjunct as much as coors or miller. Malt flavor with a nice wheat finish.
F- Very light feel for an AAL. Easy to drink a lot of these. Smooth mouth feel, easy finish.
O- This is popular for a reason, it's an easy drinking beer that gives more flavor than a light. My buddy loves this stuff and I have no problem with it. If someone were new to beer, I'd recommend this as a first time. My tastes have changed now and wouldn't personally buy this. But, as an adjunct lager, it's not a bad beer at all.

1.64/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

The only way I'd drink this garbage is if I've been working my ass off all day under the burning sun, have absolutely no money in my pocket and a friend happens to have spend the last of his cash on a six of this. Needless to say, that's not a common event. Drinking this is pretty close to drinking mineral water, it may have an okay feel if I'm dying of thirst under the burning sun of southern Texas, but that's about it. I don't understand how this is the best selling beer. People amaze me more and more as time goes by, not in the good way either.

2.38/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Probably not the time to rate this beer. I just had an excellent IPA and decided to have a Bud because it has a much lower ABV than most of the beers on my agenda today. I will spare you the details but there are many craft lagers available that are low ABV but have a much better taste than Bud.

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark golden yellow with a finger and a half of white foam.

Field grains.

Field grains steeped in water. Beechwood my ass.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Crisp, clean, that's all she wrote.

2.98/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I purchased a bottle of this from a Kwik Trip gas station in Schofield, WI. Budweiser pours a light golden hue with a thick head that dissipated quickly and a decent lacing. Aroma wise there isn't much going on that I can tell. It smells crisp and clean and that is about it. The flavor is watery at first and does have a decent adjunct grain like taste in the finish. Overall it is definitely not a fantastic beer but I have had much worse.

2.23/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Okay, so I am getting a chance to review some fresh as the spring flowers I'm looking at. In this place Budweiser is a legit King and isn't meant to be bashed. However, I'm a seasoned beer drinker and know good ales and lagers. Budweiser is thin even for a lager. The world's best lagers have a texture and this lacks it. I believe apple juice would be thicker. It's flavor is a bit mild and skunk even for something so fresh. This stuff was 'born' 10 days ago.. it's actually a decent looking lager on the pour well until the head fades to absolutely nothing. It's aroma is fresh and filled with a buttery Budweiser malt.

Overall - for a brewery that is one of if not the richest, having the best of the best equipment, access to the best ingredients, and given the fact everyone claims how hard Budweiser is to brew, I find it hard to appreciate it any way I look at it. It let's the drinker down when looking at it in those aspects. Idc how hard it is to brew. But what do I know?.. people including these folk have been guzzling it for years and think it's a king.

3.08/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from 25 oz can into pint glass. Pours a golden clear with a fizzy head that dies quickly. Little bit of lacing occasionally.
Smells of light grains and malt. Not any hops on the nose.
Tastes better than the smell, presenting a decent bitter start and semi-sweet middle with a nice finish. Not bad, honestly.
Mouthful is light/medium bodied.
Overall, Sure, it's one of the most popular beers ever. It's a macro lager, It makes sense.

1.91/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: very light in color, very fizzy
Aroma: very light aroma, light hop smell
Palate: highly carbonated,
Flavor: hoppy and bitter
Overall: very plain beer

1.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Today in honor of the St. Louis Blues playoff game I bought an 8 pack of 16 once cans iced cold and ready overnight to be poured into a pils glass. Far from a beer snob I was fired up and determined to love this beer.

There is nothing wrong with this beer other than it is the most bland and tasteless beer I have ever had with the exception of Coors Light. Inoffensively tasteless. A major letdown.

Will stick with Warsteiner and Radaberger on weekends and Schlitz Gusto on weeknights. Schlitz is far and away the best American non-craft beer , bar none, and annihilates "The KIng."

4.28/5  rDev +76.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well known beer, also had this in other country. It's a ok beer. Light and bitter and golden body with a small head. Finish with a grain and quick aftertaste

2.63/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer is clear and rather dark yellow. It has some lacing and a fluffy white head. Smells fruity, sweet, and slightly grainy. I'm not too much of a fan of the overpowering sweet smell. It tasted malty sweet, fairly fruity, and somewhat skunky. The sweetness mixed with the blandness is not the best taste, though I can understand this flavor was designed with utility in mind - greatest pleasure for the greatest number. The feel is light-bodied and heavily carbonated. Not bad of a feel for a session beer. Overall, this is a decent macro American Adjunct Lager. I would recommend to starters, but no more than that. It smells skunky, is too strangely sweet, and offers nothing more.

3.36/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A great all american beer. With a light brown color and not much head you can tell it is a mass produced beer, but it is light and refreshing with slight malt and a crisp taste.

1.53/5  rDev -37%

No offense, tastes just cheap to me, like a really watered down beer
Full of hops and no aroma other than that
tried with a brat but it wasn't any better to me
Bitter

3.71/5  rDev +52.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

One of my "Normally would drink" beer. Had its international impact, I drank this beer long before I came to US. Really typical wheat beer with smooth texture. Crystal clear appearance. Really easy to drink.

Light brown color. Very watery beer. Nothing very outstanding about this. wouldn't really recommend to anyone who really wants to taste a good beer. more of a college beer for people to drink because its cheap, easy, and people don't know what they like yet.

2.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Been a long time since I had this. We all use to drink this 30+ years ago. I always got a headache from it. Thought that was just normal till I started drinking Miller light and genuine draught, no headache wow.

3.81/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

At my favorite local watering hole, the Oakville Tap Haus. Poured into an official Budweiser glass from the tap, nitrogenates (Budweiser Signature draft).

Looks awesome in this glass, nice fluffy head, moderate amount of lacing. High carbonation.

Doesn't smell like much besides malt... And water. It's 31 degrees, I'm not expecting much

First sip I hardly tasted anything. Second... Well, I imagine this is what Budweiser is supposed to taste like. Malt, estery yeast, and heck, even the rice tastes okay. This is really something else on draft. Amazing. 100% better.

Feel? Very smooth yet also just like water. Perfect for warm weather.

No, it's not very complex but it's Budweiser. I love the malt flavor and I'm a St. Lousian to the core; this is America's classic beer! Cheers for Anheuser Busch, and to all those that lost their livelihoods to the Belgian takeover. Here's to hoping AB survives into the future.

3.09/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the monster can, it pours a golden with a large fluffy head, which dissipates to a thin ring. Constant stream of bubbles from the bottom. Smell does not send me anywhere and the taste is clean and unoffensive.

3.15/5  rDev +29.6%

Long recognized as a standard among AALs, this one's close to the top. Excellent quality control, wide distribution, often on sale, lots to recommend it except the taste. I think the flavor is fine, clean, crisp, consistent as MacDonalds. Having been exposed to more flavorful beers I just don't want to step back.

Not bad, just not especially good, or, I should say, not my kinda good.

3.7/5  rDev +52.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer gets so much hate haha. WELL, for those of you who ARE fans of the classic American golden suds that paved the way, Budweiser is really a decent beer, not the best (in my opinion), just think of your standard marco, it's golden, bubbly, crisp & smooth with a signature beechwood finish. Bud is just so distinguishable compared to other beers in the same realm, it was not made to try and be something, it's just Bud, and it's extremely popular for a reason, enough said.

2.51/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Reviewed on BA as awful? That's a bit harsh. It's an American lager widely available worldwide, just like Heineken only better. I think it's okay, lager being not my fave style either so that's saying a lot

3.26/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Bought in a 16oz aluminum can for a dollar at my local grocery store. At least it had a pop cap.
Look-Not too impressive light head that dissipated quickly. Not that many bubbles that float too the top. Very light and transparent.
Smell-Rice, grains, and a citrus flavor. It's nothing too special.
Taste-It has a citrus taste too it. There is a grain taste mixed with it as well. I might be able to taste a hint of malt. Overall, it's easy drinking.
Feel-It's nothing special, but it is the King of Beers. I really enjoy the nostalgic that goes into this beer and its bottling label. Try finding a better beer to have at a ballgame in July. It's a brand that Budweiser has sold to the American public.
Overall-It's nothing special. I would drink it again. It's a typical American Lager, it blends in with the crowd. It's kinda expensive for bulk drinking. There are cheeper alternatives on the market that are just as good.

2.86/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Oh Budweiser, how we criticize thee. For most beer nerds Budweiser is the sworn enemy, having no place in polite conversation. But is that really that deserved? IMHO, no it is not.

Look: Fizzy yellow water. White head.

Smell: Decent cereal grain. Not a lot to talk about.

Taste: Cereal grain, very light fruitiness.

Feel: Better than I expected. Very smooth, crisp, refreshing.

Overall: A beer meant for easy drinking. Inoffensive, but enjoyable. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing that stands out either.

1.09/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

First time with this, thought I'd try a single for "fun." It was not fun. Pours a medium yellow color, kind of like a dehydrated person's urine...appealing. Okay amount of fizzy white head, went away quickly and left zero lacing. Smell is sickly. Skunky, medicinal, and sweet like vomit. Taste is worse. There's something metallic and chemical here, I kept thinking it was almost like residue from one of the machines used in the brewery. Feel is thin and watery, very highly carbonated. Lots of unpleasant beer burps. If this is the king of beers, then I say "kill the king."

2.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I used to really like Budweiser before they were bought out. It used to be an actually well balanced cereal grain beer with a nice taste. They seem to have changed the recipe years ago and gone with a less quality recipe. I used to choose this beer years ago, but will now go for Coors Light, Labatts Blue, or PBR if I am buying cheaper beer.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch