Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

YOUR RATING = None |
awful

BudweiserBudweiser

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,609 | Ratings: 5,855

Light brown color. Very watery beer. Nothing very outstanding about this. wouldn't really recommend to anyone who really wants to taste a good beer. more of a college beer for people to drink because its cheap, easy, and people don't know what they like yet.

2.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Been a long time since I had this. We all use to drink this 30+ years ago. I always got a headache from it. Thought that was just normal till I started drinking Miller light and genuine draught, no headache wow.

3.81/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

At my favorite local watering hole, the Oakville Tap Haus. Poured into an official Budweiser glass from the tap, nitrogenates (Budweiser Signature draft).

Looks awesome in this glass, nice fluffy head, moderate amount of lacing. High carbonation.

Doesn't smell like much besides malt... And water. It's 31 degrees, I'm not expecting much

First sip I hardly tasted anything. Second... Well, I imagine this is what Budweiser is supposed to taste like. Malt, estery yeast, and heck, even the rice tastes okay. This is really something else on draft. Amazing. 100% better.

Feel? Very smooth yet also just like water. Perfect for warm weather.

No, it's not very complex but it's Budweiser. I love the malt flavor and I'm a St. Lousian to the core; this is America's classic beer! Cheers for Anheuser Busch, and to all those that lost their livelihoods to the Belgian takeover. Here's to hoping AB survives into the future.

3.09/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the monster can, it pours a golden with a large fluffy head, which dissipates to a thin ring. Constant stream of bubbles from the bottom. Smell does not send me anywhere and the taste is clean and unoffensive.

3.15/5  rDev +29.6%

Long recognized as a standard among AALs, this one's close to the top. Excellent quality control, wide distribution, often on sale, lots to recommend it except the taste. I think the flavor is fine, clean, crisp, consistent as MacDonalds. Having been exposed to more flavorful beers I just don't want to step back.

Not bad, just not especially good, or, I should say, not my kinda good.

3.7/5  rDev +52.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer gets so much hate haha. WELL, for those of you who ARE fans of the classic American golden suds that paved the way, Budweiser is really a decent beer, not the best (in my opinion), just think of your standard marco, it's golden, bubbly, crisp & smooth with a signature beechwood finish. Bud is just so distinguishable compared to other beers in the same realm, it was not made to try and be something, it's just Bud, and it's extremely popular for a reason, enough said.

2.51/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Reviewed on BA as awful? That's a bit harsh. It's an American lager widely available worldwide, just like Heineken only better. I think it's okay, lager being not my fave style either so that's saying a lot

3.26/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Bought in a 16oz aluminum can for a dollar at my local grocery store. At least it had a pop cap.
Look-Not too impressive light head that dissipated quickly. Not that many bubbles that float too the top. Very light and transparent.
Smell-Rice, grains, and a citrus flavor. It's nothing too special.
Taste-It has a citrus taste too it. There is a grain taste mixed with it as well. I might be able to taste a hint of malt. Overall, it's easy drinking.
Feel-It's nothing special, but it is the King of Beers. I really enjoy the nostalgic that goes into this beer and its bottling label. Try finding a better beer to have at a ballgame in July. It's a brand that Budweiser has sold to the American public.
Overall-It's nothing special. I would drink it again. It's a typical American Lager, it blends in with the crowd. It's kinda expensive for bulk drinking. There are cheeper alternatives on the market that are just as good.

2.86/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Oh Budweiser, how we criticize thee. For most beer nerds Budweiser is the sworn enemy, having no place in polite conversation. But is that really that deserved? IMHO, no it is not.

Look: Fizzy yellow water. White head.

Smell: Decent cereal grain. Not a lot to talk about.

Taste: Cereal grain, very light fruitiness.

Feel: Better than I expected. Very smooth, crisp, refreshing.

Overall: A beer meant for easy drinking. Inoffensive, but enjoyable. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing that stands out either.

1.09/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

First time with this, thought I'd try a single for "fun." It was not fun. Pours a medium yellow color, kind of like a dehydrated person's urine...appealing. Okay amount of fizzy white head, went away quickly and left zero lacing. Smell is sickly. Skunky, medicinal, and sweet like vomit. Taste is worse. There's something metallic and chemical here, I kept thinking it was almost like residue from one of the machines used in the brewery. Feel is thin and watery, very highly carbonated. Lots of unpleasant beer burps. If this is the king of beers, then I say "kill the king."

2.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I used to really like Budweiser before they were bought out. It used to be an actually well balanced cereal grain beer with a nice taste. They seem to have changed the recipe years ago and gone with a less quality recipe. I used to choose this beer years ago, but will now go for Coors Light, Labatts Blue, or PBR if I am buying cheaper beer.

2.59/5  rDev +6.6%

Amazing clarity, soft yellow color, 1" white head. Aroma of corn and rice.

Lots of carbonation, some hop zip, noble. Very light body. Carbonation is so much it is a distraction.

Very consistent, but also consistently devoid of good hop mouthfeel and all barley malt.

1.12/5  rDev -53.9%

Now I know why some people refer to this stuff as ButtWiper. I used to drink Bud many moons ago in my youth. Mainly for $$$ reasons i.e., it was cheap. Haven't had one in many years so I thought I'd try one just for the heck of it.

Half the bottle, more than half really, was poured down the kitchen sink drain.

Smells bad, tastes bad and looks bad. And this stuff sells big? Wow.

2.66/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not bad, but thin feel and flavor is pretty weak. Obviously not a craft beer, but it's very drinkable and still can be good, depending on your purpose.

How do people actually drink this shit? Let me tell you my story. When I was young, I would never drink beer because it all tasted like shit. Back then, there wasn't easy access to real beer like there is today. One day someone offered me a Guinness Draught and I fell n love with beer. I began seeing and drinking a lot of good beer. Several years later someone offered me a Bud at a party. Stupid me didn't bring good beer, like I usually do. And let me tell you, when I'd bring real beer to a gathering, everyone loved it. I took one drink of that Bud and had to spit it out, before I got sick to my stomach. I will never again put any high volume domestic beer in my mouth, it actually taste like poison to me.

3.4/5  rDev +39.9%

God I used to drink Bud like it was going out of style for a long time. The last ten years have been optimistic for everything else. A month ago I chocked down a 12 pack of bud in cans, it must be cold and in a bottle. I watched Pet Semetary and Jud drinks bud in the bottle and I had to get 6 18 ouncers in da bottle, so much better! I hat canned bud it sends me into a place we won't talk about on here. Bud bottle the only way to go!

3.16/5  rDev +30%

A: Crystal clear straw color, large white head, slight lacing

S: Bread, hops

T: Malts and adjunct grain sweetness, hop bitterness to balance, slight flavor of the beechwood used to age

M: Light, crisp, dry

O: Finally, I give the king a review. Crisp, dry, sweet but balanced. Accounting for price, availability along with all the characteristics rated, the king deserves to be revered.

2.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

33cl bottle. Pours a pale yellow, clear, with a white head with decent retention. Smells sweet and bland, with notes of boiled corn and sugar. The taste follows the same notes.

2.12/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured very cold from a 25 ounce can into a chilled glass.

Look: Somewhat dark yellow in color and very translucent. I hate to admit it, but I poured it way too vigorously into a glass trying not to spill it from the can. This caused a hilarious sized head that took up half the glass. I poured a second glass from the same can into the then un-chilled glass (before pouring it down the drain) after finishing the first glass much more slowly and gently and it produced no head.

Smell: It smelled like a room filled with apples. Actually brought back memories of my childhood. I could also smell some grain character.

Taste: A bit funky. There was a taste that I couldn't really put my finger on, but it was odd to say the least. It might have been a combination of the grain and apple tastes that were coming through slightly.

Feel: I did get some carbonation, but I think the over-aggressive pouring killed it a bit. Either way I did find it had a refreshing quality. It definitely wasn't a bad feel, in fact I kind of liked it. It was fuller in feel than I was expecting.

Overall: I wouldn't say I thought it was terrible, but bad is definitely the right term for my experience. It was refreshing in a way, but since it's winter at the time of this review it really didn't make much of a difference. I could definitely see this being consumed on a hot day during the summer for the refreshing quality, but that's about it.

I checked the "birthdate" on the can: July 18th 2015. So it was about 6 months old by the time I consumed it.

2.17/5  rDev -10.7%

"The King of Beers" so says the label. This was my first legal beer back in '09. Oh how innocent I was back then. Enough reverie. The head is large, but it collapses into nothing, and I mean nothing. I detected corn in the nose. Not only corn, but something else which I cannot place. Taste is corny like corn niblets from Green Giant. Color is straw, pale gold. Was fairly fizzy, as there were many steady streams of carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass, it also stings your tongue. An aside, this beer sends me right to the bathroom. Something in it does not agree with my insides. This is the only beer to do this. Haven't found another.

2.43/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 16oz. can directly into a pint glass. Large, fizzy head briefly appears but doesn't stay long. Honestly, this beer isn't terrible.

L- Pale gold, bubbles rising but no head.

S- Faint, maybe a slight corn scent. Nothing outstanding.

T- Very slightly sweet, almost fruity, hints of corn and malt. Not strong at all, but not overly light either. Nothing to really hate about this beer, honestly it's incredibly easy to drink.

F- Smooth, slides down like water.

Like I said above, it's hard to find a fatal flaw about this beer. Sure, it's a macrobrew, and no it's not phenomenal; but there's something about the consistency of Budweiser creating this mediocre brew on a large scale that makes you feel proud to be an American. Sure, it's not a beer to be proud of drinking on a regular basis, but it's a beer that has survived the test of time, and is still a favorite among the general population. I don't usually drink garbage beer, but if I had to choose one- Budweiser hands down would be my choice every single time.

2.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A gift from a friend who refers to this as "golden delicious"....ummm...Thanks Kevin!

Poured form the can into a pint glass this easy drinking brew is pale clear yellow with a very nice head of white foam that lingers long with good sudsy lacing. Nose of sweet cereal grains and little else. Flavors surpass the nose with sweet sugary cereal grains that oddly enough remind me of rice krispies. Smooth lightly creamy and easy to drink with ample carbonation and a clean watery finish with a sweet aftertaste. Is it astounding, no, but this is an American classic that has it's place among the public who love their sweeter brews. A thirst quencher that brings back a very old memory of one of the best brews I had when young going back to a camp site after a long hot day at work. I will admit it has been somewhat pleasurable, but just not a satisfying brew. Sessionable. Indeed. But all in all it is lacking seriously in the flavor department.

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%

Let's all try not to be assholes for a moment here - this is a solid beer. Drank cold from the bottle on a hot day or a from a chilled pint glass with a juicy burger and fries? Hits the spot. Consistent, lightly floral notes up front that lead to the classic (overly derided) wheat/cereal taste. No bitter aftertaste, nothing cloying, nothing in the way of mouthfeel. It won't ruin your palette or steal the thunder from a well cooked meal, but it won't impress you either. There's a place for beer like this. After a couple of meaty IPAs I'll reach for a Bud to give my taste buds a well-deserved break and wind down the evening.

2.79/5  rDev +14.8%

I have a soft spot because of college. Sometimes this was the only friend I had, Yes, sad I know, I also would drink this with spicy food. Now I would go for Modelo Especial or Red Stripe. Mega Brews are seeing their slow death. Peace!

1.86/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 fl oz. can, best by date March 03, 2016 printed on the bottom of the can. Finally reviewing the self-proclaimed 'King Of Beers', can gifted to me from a friend who brought over the twelve pack. Lord have mercy, here we go.

Poured into appropriate Budweiser pint glass. #properglassware.

A - Pours a ridiculously clear pale gold. Lots of bubbles in the glass as it pours. Manages to conjure a finger or so of bubbly 'head' that disappears before I can even get my camera out to take a picture. Looks like pee in the glass.

S - Smell of cheap adjuncts. Corn? Grain. Adjunct laden swill is about the only descriptors I can come up with. Smells like cheap shitty 'beer'. Hops? None. Rice? Nope. Grains & water. That's about all there is.

T - Taste is the same: cheap grains / adjuncts. Corn, corn syrup, husk. Flavorless swill.

M - Feel is smooth, crisp, clean, watery. Weak. Beer-flavored water.

Overall, not the king of beers by any means. One of the worst beers I've tried, and probably one of the worst beers widely distributed and available. Cheap adjunct swill, I probably wouldn't drink this again if even if it was given to me.

Budweiser -----1.5/5