2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

BudweiserBudweiser

awful

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,931 | Reviews: 1,413 | Show All Ratings:
konabrewer

3.68/5  rDev +57.9%

This is the beer we grew up on....
As a brewer I find it amazingly consistant and the fact that it is brewed in several different locations across the country makes it even more impressive!!!

Appearance: Light Golden, perfectly bright. To me it looks like the most amazing summer day!!
Smell: Slight Corn, pleasant and fresh
Taste: Crisp and light. Very Slight almost non-existant malt with a light pleasant clean hop finish
Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated; just what you want from a American lager. The can even adds to the experience. The can shimmers with melted ice from my cooler with wheels
Drinkability: Must I even say how drinkable this beer is. The most drinkable as far as I am concerned.

Bud is deliberately brewed, exceptionally crafted and completely ounded by many. This one should be enjoyed without too much thought!!!

07-22-2003 14:51:32 | More by konabrewer
brewdlyhooked13

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

7/15/2003 - Boston concert at Cincinnati Riverbend Music Center. After downing a Bud Light, I must find at least regular Bud. They serve it at either end of a 300 yard wide concession area, but nowhere in between. Idiots. The band hasn't started yet and the missus and I are still Smokin' from this warm day with high humidity, so I'm off for Round 2. As I'm walking back, I hear them doing Star Spangled Banner. It has begun.

I take my seat as they begin. All Boston, no warm-up band, are these guys good or what?

My Bud beer has a decidedly deeper yellow color than its Light brother, but it's still pretty pale. Thin but foamy head with lots of bubble supply from below. Slightly more malt aroma, but more adjunct aroma, too. Smells better than the cup though, which is about all I got sniffing Light.

This first Bud had significantly more taste than the Bud Light before it, so at least I stepped up a bit there. Grainier with lots of bubbles. More sweetness as well. Approaching dusk as I Cool The Engines with this Beer #2.

Beer #3, not much sweetness now, just the grain and the bubbles. Slightly more smooth going down, though. And it's not just More Than A Feeling that I shoulda stopped at the loo, it's a command. Calling to a Higher Power that I make it in time, I hoof it to the men's room for some relief. My wife calls out to bring another round. Goes without saying, so I Don't Look Back at her.

Beer #4 - the skies have opened up and drenched us to the bone. Boston plays 3 or 4 songs during the entire cloudburst without so much as a hesitation for applause between tunes, just a musical transition into each successive tune from these musically creative geniuses, battling the thunder from the sky above which also treats us to a higher altitude lightning show nothing short of awesome. What a Rock&Roll Band, huh? Very impressive. This beer, the alcohol taste prevails over the grain, but I don't care. The music is great, my wife is by my side (I'll skip any innuendo to Foreplay/Long Time here if you don't mind) and we have a Peace Of Mind as Boston plays for 2 and a half hours. A great evening despite the rain, an even better band, a top-notch lady by my side, but just an adequate beer.

07-17-2003 04:23:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Andreji

Colombia

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I expected much worse anyways, but the beer's a plain old mediocre lager. Pours a clean golden tone with carbonation and a medium white head that remains for a while and leaves some lacing. The smell, giving off some maltyness and hoppyness is not very strong.

The taste, somewhat sweet reflects the maltyness and is a tad bitter at the end but is rather too soft and the body is extremely watery which concurs with what should be its motto, "The king of mass-production".

07-16-2003 22:39:22 | More by Andreji
avylover

2.68/5  rDev +15%

I poured this in a glass for reviewing purposes, but I prefer to drink a beer like this out of the can...it just feels right to me. It's a pale clear yellow with little head or carbonation. Scent is slightly grainy & actually somewhat malty if you get a good whiff, with some other 'acidic' sort of scent, if that makes any sense. Not a whole lot to smell. The taste is very mild but not completely watery. There is something in the taste of Budweiser that sets it apart slighly from the other american mass produced lagers. Just enough taste for me to choose this over say MGD of something. Nothing special here, but tolerable. Leaves a bit of a syrupy mouthfel..never noticed that before really. Very easy to drink..not really that exciting to drink, but easy

07-10-2003 17:10:07 | More by avylover
TheDM

Indiana

1.83/5  rDev -21.5%

OK, I am taking my BA.com ratings seriously. I will even rate a .... ugh, must I say it, Budweiser. It has a mild fruity to no aroma. It has a head of fine bubbles that disappears quickly and body with a watery weak light yellow color. You can taste the carbonation in you r mouth. I look at the glass and bubbles are still rising off its bottom. I belch after the first taste. I can still taste the carbonation on my front teeth. The flavor is weak to non-existent. Definitely a no-character brew. There is no real flavor to speak of. There was very little lacing on the side of the glass. I belch again. Must I drink more of this swill? OK, I finished the glass and just had to come back and add one more point. I did get a buzz off this beer and for a cheap drunk; I had to bump up its rating. After all, it was only $0.89.

07-07-2003 15:29:14 | More by TheDM
hotstuff

Indiana

1.4/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. There was no lacing with this beer. The body was clear and yellow in hue. The carbonation was fizzy. The aroma was somewhat fruity. The initial flavor was moderately sweet and the finishing flavor was lightly sweet and lightly acidic. The mouthfeel was light, thin and watery.

07-01-2003 11:38:41 | More by hotstuff
brakspear

Wisconsin

1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

The only non-light beer available at a steak fry so....

Pours golden pale with a soft white head that fades immediately. The aroma is mosty green apples and sour maltiness. The taste is clean, inoffensive, and pretty much non-existent. This beer does what it is supposed to, so I guess that is worth something.

06-16-2003 17:04:23 | More by brakspear
freed

Oregon

2.55/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer doesn't deserve a full descriptive detail, but I have to mention how impressed with its consistency I am. It tastes the same as it did the first time I had it. It pours like selzer, smells like the recycling bin, and tastes not much different than the bin would on a hot day. Its a shame that the best ingredients end up with such a fate.

But I was painting my bedroom midday, and any other beer might have made me tipsy enough to have problems with edging. Fortuantely I was able to drink several Budwiesers and still get the job done.

06-13-2003 22:52:25 | More by freed
RonfromJersey

2.1/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a rather sickly pale shade of yellow, topped by a nice foamy snow white head which did peek above the glass. Drops a little quick though, to a thin table top head. Aroma features some grassy hop notes but also a hint of "the morning after". That is, the aroma a room picks up after a party when too much beer is imbedded in the carpets and upholstrey. Mouthfeel is overly fizzy. Taste is an oddity. There is a slight hop note, but it's a small tingle and no bite.How can a beer with almost no perceptible malt come across as sweet? Not sweet like a dopplebock, just a vague overall sweet characteristic. Drinkability? Could I drink another? Sure. Do I want to? No.

A beer so inoffensive, it's offensive.

06-01-2003 15:53:42 | More by RonfromJersey
GeoffRizzo

2.83/5  rDev +21.5%

A light straw color, some hops and corn on the nose, but overally un-offensive. Some light malt and light hops are detected, thin bodied, obvious adjuncts, and a watery finish. Lacks a true body, but overall, drinkable when backed in a corner, the king in lower case letters.

05-31-2003 20:47:45 | More by GeoffRizzo
aaronh

1.98/5  rDev -15%

Pours a mild goden color, topped by a loose, white head. Aroma is slightly sweet, with a distinct grainy note. The taste is pretty mellow, with a touch of sweetness on the finish and something resembling hops. The mouthfeel is agressive due to the large and prevalent carbonation. The drinkability is a little less than average, as I can't seem to stomach more than one of these, ever. This beer has almost all the qualities of a lager I don't like, and none that I do. The King of Beers on volume alone, I must admit that they always taste identical.

05-28-2003 15:32:44 | More by aaronh
jlervine

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

Blah blah mass produced swill blah blah.

Now that that's over with... I've gone my entire young life without ever having a Budweiser (though I have partaken of Bud Light before), so I last Thursday when I was grilling out on a budget I figured that a budget beer would go perfectly. And I was right. Ribs + Budweiser = pretty darn good. Could it have been better? Of course! But it couldn't have been much cheaper.

It poured a pale unimpressive yellow, but the head retention was surprisingly good! Smell was of hops, corn, and some funky odor that I can't place. Not bad enough to discourage consumption, but enough to discourage further smelling. The taste was uneventful - carbonated beer-flavored water. Dry finish with almost a hint of hops. This beer's best suit? You can pound them back one after the other. And, it's better than Bud Light.

05-18-2003 14:23:16 | More by jlervine
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +85.8%

Yeah yeah I know pretty high marks for Bud but I love the stuff.If I had to pick a mass produced "swill" beer it would be Bud.The color is always perfectly golden yellow whether can,bottle or draft.

Not much aroma that can be defined as hops or malt-the smell reminds me of Yankee Stadium actually...hahahahaha.It has a crisp taste with just enough bite to be discernable from say Coors or Miller.Again I wouldnt call it hops or malt-probably the glycol or other chemicals they supposedly add.

An average mouthfeel but overall a drinkibility thats hard to beat.If Im not drinking homebrew or micros nothing beats a Bud for this kid.I dont care about the mass marketing and that Im paying to keep the speedboat running or the race car going or the Clydesdales happy-they make a consistantly decent product that has its rightfull place in "beerdom"

05-17-2003 07:12:36 | More by lackenhauser
Rootdog316

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Diesel is probably one of my favorites made by the Annheuiser Busch Corporation. It actually goes down very well, and I can see why it lives up to the name of "The King of All Beers." Although, changing the logo to modernize the brand might not hurt either from a marketing aspect.

05-11-2003 01:17:25 | More by Rootdog316
francisweizen

Arizona

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Definately not that good. A very pale coloured beer with little to no head. This is OK to drink, if it is the only option but otherwise I would go with almost anything else. This tastes like beer flavoured water and it has basically no mouthfeel. It does not smell too great either and the drinkability is crap. It is better in the bottle than it is in the can though.

05-05-2003 16:39:56 | More by francisweizen
WMBierguy

Maryland

3.13/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

In my opinion, the "King of Beers" is the best of the American macros. Do I really need to explain it to anyone? I go to school in Williamsburg, right next to Busch Gardems and the Bud brewery, and this beer is everywhere! This is always the beer that I choose when I go somewhere that doesn't have decent imports. Much better than the "Silver Bullet" or the God awful Bud Light. If you go to Pizza Hut or Outback, then I'd take this. However, if you're drinking in your house, do yourself a favor and pick up a decent beer.

05-03-2003 20:32:38 | More by WMBierguy
furiousxgeorge

2.83/5  rDev +21.5%

This beer is an average american beer. Many americans, like myself, drank this as their first beer. So, it has a special place in my heart, I can't give it that bad a review.

It is hardly worth the money it costs, but is not a beer you should snobbishly refuse if offered.

04-21-2003 09:26:56 | More by furiousxgeorge
nomad

Kansas

1.58/5  rDev -32.2%

Piss yellow.
Smells like nothing.
Tons of strange carbonation, definitely not naturally from yeast.
Tastes okay, better in a can, though its so damn cold i couldn't taste anything.
Had a Bud Light, tasted the same, though.
Have tremendous gas, bloating, and intestinal pain today. I guess that's completely unnatural mashing, fermentation, and bottling will do to you.
Why did I drink this? Oh, yeah, I was at a bowling alley, and then hung out with people that have no respect for even half-way decent beer.

04-10-2003 07:35:20 | More by nomad
Stubbie1

Connecticut

1.9/5  rDev -18.5%

I was over a friend’s house helping do some yard work and he offered me a beer when we were finished. Now, I’m not a beer snob so I took the beer and poured it into my glass…

Pours a very pale yellow, not much to it. There was a head and lace but when I looked away and back again it was gone. Hundreds of bubbles racing to the top. It doesn’t look to bad with all that pearling. Aroma is corn maybe a bit grassy nevertheless it was very faint. Taste, well if that is what it is called, this beer had none maybe a bit of bitterness at the end but other than that, nothing. Very drinkable, it is like drinking carbonated water. The bottle should say serve VERY COLD on the side.

Yea, well The “King of Beers” is really the joker here. For the life of me I can't remember why this was such a favorite of mine in my younger days. Ya know, I had only one and about a hour after the headache started. That is why the 1 for drink ability is there.

“When you say Budweiser……you want to hurl”.

04-08-2003 09:21:21 | More by Stubbie1
Reidrover

Oregon

1.83/5  rDev -21.5%

Ok here goes..i reveiw the "King of Beers"..its majesty appears in the typical 12 oz long neck..the Bud label is attractive.
Now the pour..oh dear what a horrid looking beer...pale pale yellow..non-existant head..very unappetizing ( this is why it should be drank straight from the bottle).
The smell is almost none-existant..really i can pick up very little aroma..its like water..sorry i cant get anything at all..least its totally neutral not offensive.
The taste is also very subdued watery..this is a lot worse than Coors, High Life or PBR..i taste next to nothing..I am trying to get something..maybe a slight maltiness if i try and swoosh it about my mouth for 5 minutes.
rerally not good on the tongue over carbonated like most macros
Perverslly after all that its very very easy to drink..but so is water.
I have to say this is a beer for folks who hate beer.."king" indeed..the emperor has no clothes.

04-06-2003 20:53:59 | More by Reidrover
Tballz420

2.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Most everyone here puts this drink in a certain category, Macro-swill. That it may be, but as far as it goes in that category it cant be topped. I have loved this beer since the first time i drank it, now i put it at the top of the shit-beers category. Nothing special by any means, but if all else fails, this is your go-to-guy

04-03-2003 20:15:22 | More by Tballz420
BigHead

Arizona

1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

I had this recently while sitting in the stands of an IRL race here in Phoenix. Since the aluminum bleachers were cooking us a nice medium rare, we had to drink something, and you don't drink water during a race! So I got a big 22 oz. can of Budweiser, King of Beers. After my first sip, I think Bud should be know as the Queen of Beers, because it is so outdone by the micros of today, it makes Bud look like the Richard Simmons of the group. However, it did quench my thirst, since the flavor was not too overpowering. I can't put my finger on it, but the taste just has an unnatural flavor to it, possibly from the aluminum can, but it sits in my mouth longer that I like. It's not horrible, I just can think of many other beers I would have much rather had.

03-31-2003 11:54:53 | More by BigHead
pezoids

2.53/5  rDev +8.6%

What can I say about this beer that hasn’t been said already? A bartender recently summed it up when he was telling another customer about how people don’t like the draft Bud because it’s kept at a warmer temperature with the other ales – and that how if it isn’t served ice cold and flavorless, it isn’t good. I have to agree. I can enjoy a cold Bud (if I have to) occasionally. But I like water, too.

The one I had recently poured out a pale yellow with a thin head and was highly carbonated. Rice and grainy aroma.
It went down easy and went well with the seafood I was
eating. There was a decent bitterness there.

After all these years of trying this beer, the best thing about it is it’s consistency. You always know what your about to taste when you have a cold one (usually)

03-29-2003 09:24:47 | More by pezoids
LarryKemp

2.83/5  rDev +21.5%

I was at my local burger joint and they had all American tap beers for $1.50 for 16 oz. I have not had an American Lager in a LONNNGGG time so I gave Bud a try. It was poured a nice clear golden and had a good sturdy head. The aroma was as I remembered - absent. It tasted crisp and had a slight bite of hops. The beer was VERY cold and I could not detect any adjuncts - probably just as well. The mouthfeel was light and had some good carbonation tingle. For eating a hot pepper burger and fries, this beer hit the spot.

03-28-2003 19:59:39 | More by LarryKemp
far333

Connecticut

1.7/5  rDev -27%

I hadn't had this stuff since college, until I was out with a bunch of guys and it was either Bud or Bud light. So, we opted for the heavy stuff.

I can't see why anyone drinks this, but I guess there are people who like a watery beer that goes down quick and easy and quenches a thirst. Is it the rice that creates that distinctive bitter nasty flavor, almost burnt rubber, that seems to get lodged in the back of the throat and leaves an aftertaste?

The high carbonation throws up a bright white head that disappears immediately. The color reminds me of a urine sample. Actually, the flavor... never mind.

I had a hard time getting it to go down, and had to throw out half of it. It has turned me off to a lot of pilsners because I'm afraid they will taste the same. Just say no.

03-23-2003 17:47:16 | More by far333