Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,562 | Hads: 5,606
2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

This is my first Budweiser. I bought it for the Aluminum Bottle. Yes, I got taken in by the marketing dept. I listed this under a can for I figured the aluminum would impress the taste as opposed to listing it under a glass bottle.
I've had the Bud Light, and I must say for this flagship beer, I was expecting more. To me, it looks & seems the same as the light.
It poured a very see-thru straw color. The head, well carbonated, did fizz alittle. The was white and seemed to hold for alittle while only to lace in spots.
The aroma was slight, not offending of grain and dry rice. The taste seemed watery with a bland grain/rice base that gives off a slight, but quick hop shot, only to crisp the mouth quickly and then leaves a dry feel behind.
Like I said, I expected a bit more over its light couterpart, for a flagship beer this big.

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a light straw color with little to no head. Slight lacing, faint hops aroma, but overall pretty bland. Tase is a mix of hops, and something unfamiliar, possibly the rice? Just another american macro with little taste and reasonably high drinkability...look elsewhere for the "king of beers".

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a pale yellowor slight golden color. Little head which doesnt stick around for long. The scent is slightly malty. I assume wheat or other weak grains. This is what the taste comes out as also. Slightly grainy, slightly malty. Overall a decent flavor, somewhat stale thought. Typical harsh american macrobrew.

2.42/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is my first ever Bud. Waiter looked rather oddly at me when I asked for a glass, and I can see why as it came out the thinnest palest nastiest yellow I have ever seen with absolutely no head whatsoever. Smell is almost nonexistant--the faint whiff I caught reminded me of cheerios. The taste was much better than I expect, very light malt and corn flavor, but nothing offsetting or bad. The mouthfeel was also nice--medium bodied with a med/high carbonation level for a nice refreshing drink. For years I have been slamming this as a bad beer, but it's really just a good example of a bland beer, which has it's time and place.

3.14/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to rate this solely on the fact that it is an American macro Lager and nothing more... The color is a light gold color, VERY translucent with a smell that is of wheat and not much more. The taste is surprisingly full, with wheat in the first part, sugar in the second and ends with a refreshing burst of water. If you are looking for an incredibly inexpensive beer that you can drink MUCH of, you have found it!

2.63/5  rDev +8.2%

poured a pale yellow color with pure white puffy head that slowly fell. Smell is a slight sweetness but nothing spectactular. Taste is very light and non-offensive, but refreshing. mouth feel is thirst quenching. A beer designed to be the lowest common denominator so as not to offend anyone.

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, "born on" 5/16/05 - served chilled in a pilsner glass. Pours a very clear gold with a good amount of carbonation and a 1 finger fizzy white head that dissipates quickly but leaves some lacing toward the end. The aroma consists of grains, adjuncts, and a bit of sweetness - very clean. The flavor is about the same with touch of hops and some metal. It has a medium body and is pretty fizzy but it drinks ok. The best AB product I've reviewed so far.

3.13/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start by saying that the highest rating in any category for me is the Drinkability factor....Budweiser is a good daytime beer. Great for tailgate partying, out on the boat, ballgames etc. Even other Macro beers dont come close to the drinkability of Budweiser.

Appearance: I put this at "Average" , Yellow Fiz is what it looks like. Budweiser has to be one of the most carbonated beers on the market. from first drink to the last gobble Fizzz continued to be non stop.

Smell: "Below Average". Nothing that will knock your socks off. The hint of hop was nice but nothing to get your taste buds going.

Taste: The taste is above average for the style. It is so clean that the taste is very subtle. A touch of corn and hay lay in the backdrop and a dab of bitterness to settle it out. It is truly a refreshing beer. This product needs to be Ice Cold though, as it warms up the carbonation is annoying and actually gives a slight burning in the throat.

Mouthfeel: Once again the carbonation is overkill.

Drinkability: Good Drinkability. It doesnt bog you down. Light and refreshing. Budweiser brewers are amazing in that they can produce a subtle lager that is amazingly consistent and if not the best macro lager its one of the best in the world. Nice daytime beer.

alcohol: 5%

Overall I actually enjoy this product for many reasons. Including availability and price. Its no belgian or hophead special but it is what it is. A macro that feeds the masses and is worth your attention when its stacked up against other Macro's.

2.43/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: Poured an extremely light straw color into a traditional mug. The beer is pretty transparent, and it showed off a high degree of carbonation. The scent was very grassy and grain-y, without much in the way of hop or malt characteristics. It was pretty weak.

Tasting: A strong grassy flavor was on the front and middle of the tongue, backed by cereal and corn and just the slightest tinge of hop bitterness. What hurt this beer was the fact that the mouthfeel was very watery and carbonated. It was a pretty simple brew that was easy to drink. It went down rather smoothly. I had it served very cold, though, which helped a bit.

Take Budweiser for what it is... a simple macro lager. It's not the greatest example of the style, but it's passable.

1.72/5  rDev -29.2%

I've never poured this into a glass before. It's pale like a ghost. Looks like urine in the morning. Smells... not as bad as it looks, but doesn't have much of a bouquet, smells kinda like off water. Can't come up with any spice flavours in the smell. Nor in the taste: very thin, just chemical taste, but not as bad as some Australian macros. Mouthfeel thin too. Drinkability's probably all right... you could smash a lot of those down pretty easily. But I'm not buying them.

2.45/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Retro 12 oz can, reproduction of the first Budweiser can introduced in 1936. (I collect cans, so this looks cool), brought back direct from St. Louis. Born on Date stamped on bottom.
Very pale straw color, thin white cap of foam that only lasts a minute. Lots of carbonation. Smell of faint malt and grain (very faint). Taste is crisp and very smooth, some mild sweetness (I am guessing it is from the rice). Slightest hops to balance. No aftertaste. Wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. No overpowering tastes just clean and easy to drink - that is what appeals to the masses.

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

The KING of beers!?! I guess if you live in St. Louis, this is your motto. Anywhere else, I can't imagine that being the case.

Yes, this beer is better than Bud Light, but is that saying much? No.

The canned version of this lager offers a nice metallic twang, which I guess some folks must find appealling. I do not.

When poured, this looks like a beer. It smells a bit like a real beer, but the taste, well, that's another story. Not a tasty treat.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't even know why I'm reviewing this beer. It pours a golden color with a white head. It smells like any given house after a prom party. The taste is overwhelmed by the carbonation but it mostly tastes like watered down light malt with a small hop addition. The mouthfeel is of moderate carbonation. The drinkability is really high if you don't have any standards. Otherwise it is o.k. if this is your last resort at a family gathering or wedding reception. Blah.

2.38/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Who hasn't had a Bud at one time or another..Looking through the bottle, it's probably pale yellow. Saw some lacing as I gazed again between slugs. This is the quintessential macro brew of all time.

It had a little more bite than some others I've tried but nothing that leaves an impression that makes you want to have another. I think it caused the headache I got afterwards but can't be sure.

1.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Bought one of those new "aluminum bottles" on promotion because I liked the bottle - drank (some of) the beer because it was hot outside and I figured "why not give it a try?" Not impressed...

Pours a very light straw yellow with a thin head. No lacing, moderate carbonation that only leaves the slightest of rings around the glass. I can't get over how pale this is - it's practically clear!

No real smell to speak of - a slight sweet malt note but otherwise nothing of note.

Taste follows smell - very, very thin taste. It's slightly sweeter than expected with a hint of sugar-pops stale corn taste. Otherwise the faint malt note and the barely detectable hops note are all there is. You know how they have fruit flavored fizzy waters? Well this tastes like a beer flavored fizzy water.

Mouthfeel just plain sucks. There's no substance there at all. I would at least have expected a little extra carbonation to liven up the drink but it's really as dull as dishwater. Thin, bland and unexciting.

I know I wasn't hoping for much from Bud but it was even less than I could have imagined! This was just damn disappointing and I had pretty low expectations...

1.83/5  rDev -24.7%

In the beginning, Anheuser-Busch said, “Let there be beer: and there was beer.” And there was lots of beer and it was everywhere in convenient 30-packs for $9.99 when my local supermarket runs it as a loss-leader. But was it good beer? I choose Budweiser as my first beer review since it was the first beer that ever made me vomit. This is not to say the beer is that bad, but I did put away about eighteen of them. That is AB’s intention, after all. Market share. Big sales, big marketing, big volume. My first hurl on the college library steps was big volume, too.

Appearance: 5 What the hell color should it be anyway? Yes, it is pale straw and practically colorless. So what? The appearance is everything this beer purports to be. Period. Amen.

Smell: 2 Doesn’t really smell like anything good, but my friend had taken off his stinky sneakers when I was evaluating the beer, so who can say?

Taste: 1.5 My nose was pretty badly congested with snots when I took my first sip, so I didn’t taste much. After blowing my nose and clearing the sinuses, I still didn’t taste much. This is a benefit, however, if you’re intent on chuggin’ a 30-pack.

Mouthfeel: 1.5 The dentist drilled my tooth this morning, so my mouth didn’t feel too good. The beer didn’t help either.

Drinkability: 1.5 This should’ve gotten a higher score, because it’s such a fine lawnmower beer, but because I hire the neighbor’s kid to cut my grass, I watch the poor punk sweat from the comfort of my air-conditioned house and drink a Unibroue.

1.72/5  rDev -29.2%

I realize it's the cool BA thing to do, but this stuff realize deserves it's bad reputation. It's not wretched, or foul per se... because there isn't anything to it whatsoever. One could say it has merit because it's so inoffensive, but c'mon, this is just boring! I find myself not wanting to drink it not because it's bad, but because it's not even worth the energy it takes to lift the glass it's in. If you want refreshing, drink some water!

Served from a bottle shaped like a bowling pin. Pours an extremely pale gold in color with a thin fizzy head that had a little bit of retention. Nose is.. well, not really there, vaugely grainy, but mostly it just smells like a macro, if that makes any sense, they all smell the same for the large part. The taste is slightly bready and watery, that's about it. Nothing really happening. No aftertaste to speak of, mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. The only good thing about this one is that it reminds me of beer. (haha)

Slàinte! or not..

1.23/5  rDev -49.4%

A thirsty man's last resort. I think they took stale bread and boiled it in water strained it added some food coloring with stale hops carbonated the whole thing. Continuing to taste marco lagers at the wedding reception this is quite bad. The smell is most offensive and this is the most urine like smell of them all. The body is mostly from the filler grains that come through in the taste but not a good thing. No thanks!

2.66/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle. Right now in CO they are selling "retro" packaged Bud - the label is a reproduction of a 1918 label. I hate to admit it, but I do like the packaging idea.

Appearance: Very pale yello color with a thin head that fades fairly quickly, and lots of bubbles.

Smell: Not much at all - light grain aroma.

Taste: Clean and crisp - but very little going on. Light bodied and slightly bubbly.

Overall impression: This is definitely a beer brewed to avoid offending anyone. Very crisp and clean, but very little flavor. I wouldn't turn it down for free, but certainly would prefer almost anything else.

2.33/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a very watery yellow color, kind of a straw yellow... This beer seems a bit over-carbonated to me, it made a large white head, which quickly dissipated... The carbonation was enough to keep me belching with regularity. The beer had a skunky smell to it, with faint malt and hop scents. It tastes pretty tart, with corn being the main thing I tasted. As for the mouthfeel, to me it felt kind of heavy and syrupy in my mouth, and I didn't really want to keep it there for very long. I don't consider this beer to be very drinkable, unless I didn't pay for it.. If you slam it, it isn't that bad either.. and it beats Corona...

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Quite likely the most over rated beer of all time. King of beers my ass... Poured out to a good lager golden color, but the praise really stops there. Medium high carbonation kept me belching between each drink, and with the high flavor of corn, and strong presence of alcohol, this was a difficult beer to enjoy. Finished with an odd aftertaste of malt and corn, mixed with a metallic taste. I guess if you have never had this beer, give it a shot. Me, no thanks.

2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

A very thin hay color, a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a wispy lace. A mild malt aroma with a barely detectable hop scent. A very watery grain flavor with some very slight hop bitterness. There's also a mild sweetness to the flavor. Thin mouthfeel, with moderate carbonation. Not recommended.

1.62/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Welcome to Macro Smackdown III (I now use Roman numerals because, like the Super Bowl, this has become a major event of interest the world over). This round pits the ubiquitous Budweiser with the Stroh/Pabst product Old Milwaukee. I had originally thought that I was comparing the American macro lager counterparts of the two beers from Macro Smackdown II, but it appears that I've confused Milwaukee's Best with Old Milwaukee. Yeah, like there's a difference.

Clear, pale straw yellow with a few streams of lazily rising bubbles. The head is off-white and is much too soft. It falls fairly quickly and presents a smooth surface; the very definition of a poor, cheap-looking cap of foam. Almost no lace. Obviously inferior to the head on the OM.

Neither nose is much to write home about, but neither is horrible either. The nose on this beer may have the slight edge, but it's not enough to result in a difference in score. The Bud nose is adjuncty (of course) and is a little more sweetly floral than the Old Milwaukee nose.

The flavor isn't that appealing, to say the least. It's grainy and bitter without much, if any, hop flavor. It isn't skunky per se, but there's a definite off-flavor goin' on. The nose didn't translate well to the palate, that's for sure. The finish is fairly clean thanks to the lack of sweetness and the pathetically watery, inadequately carbonated mouthfeel.

Although Budweiser isn't as drain-pourable as Bud Light, it isn't that far off. 'One of the most popular beers in America' just got spanked by a beer named for a city in Wisconsin, but brewed in Texas (or in Wisconsin, who the hell knows?). Neither one of these combatants is good beer, but Budweiser is clearly the worst of the two. The skill it must take to brew a beer this lousy is simply mind-boggling.

2.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

For whatever reason, this tastes better out of the bottle. A bit fuller body and more intense flavor. Very corny and grain-like, but it's better because it's not as watered down. I'd prefer this to cans, as the carbonation seems better and it's just easier to put down.

3.03/5  rDev +24.7%

I believe that all beers have their proper place, including the macros and this is the grand daddy of macros. It is very drinkable and does one heck of a good job on a hot day or when you want to make sure not to overpower other tastes in a meal. Bud does have some grain detectable to the nose and taste. It is very light on the mouth. There is nothing awe inspiring here as for as a memorable beer, or a beer to sit down and contemplate but, it sure can hit the spot quenching a thirst.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch