Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,562 | Hads: 5,606
2.28/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz can, born on date of jan 22, 2004. ahh the "The King of Beers". I grabbed a can for research purposes out of a cooler that was not gonna be finished after an affair I was at. No noticable aroma/nose. Very minimal malt, no hops ...hmmm whats left? as we all know, this is about as close to water as can be. Pass it by.

2.6/5  rDev +7%

12 oz bottle that has been in my fridge longer than I care to think about. I'm not even going to look at the Born on Date for this one.

Pours a light golden color with a little foamy head that goes away rather quickly. Some hoppy aroma and a carbination frenzy in the mouth that gives way to a brief hint of pale hops on the way down.

Extremely easy to drink. American lagers serve their purpose, like when you've been drinking good beer most of the night and you get to the point where it doesnt much matter what you drink next, youve surpassed the point of appreciation. Save some money and grab the King of Beers (I laugh every time I hear that) and seize the night.

2.03/5  rDev -16.5%

For my 666th review I will try my first ever Budweiser.

I poured the “King of Beers” into a Pilsner glass and I was rewarded with a sickly pale yellow hued beer with modest animation racing towards the bubbly white head. After reaching about a finger and a half in height the head subsided to a loose cap rather quickly, this did hang around awhile though. No subsequent lacing was produced. Visually this looks like a very sad beer. I found the nose to be sickly sweet, it is not very clean or lagerish; behind the sweetness is a note of grain. This is not an inviting bouquet. I regrettably am about to take my first sip… ever. The palate is bland, sweet, and clean. There really isn’t much flavor and thus Bud’s popularity. Some graininess and husk is found way behind the vast nothingness. The finish is clean, empty. Like almost all AB products I’ve had I got a headache drinking this one, this hurts my personal view on its drinkability. If I were forced to drink an American mass-produced Pale Lager I would pick Coors Original, Miller High Life, or Leinenkugel’s Northwoods Lager. The strongest aspect of this beer is its mouthfeel, it is medium, sturdy carbonation, very basic but appropriate. I was actually expecting to find a decent beer with Budweiser but I found out that the king has no clothes. This is a pointless drink and I will never consume it again.

2.03/5  rDev -16.5%

12 oz can

Apperance. The head lasted a couple of seconds. Nothing was left after the head dissapeared. The color is baby yellow. Clear as day.

Nose: Rotten eggs, grain, wheat.

Taste: Very crisp on the tounge. It has a Pepsi type of carbonation. After the crisp "taste" the beer just dissapears from your mouth. it doesent leave much of a trace of flavor. I honestly didnt get much. Maybe some wheat or grass.

Notes: Nice on a summer day; If you dont care about taste. there are other things to "quench your thirst"...as some people claim they like Bud for.

1.75/5  rDev -28%

A hard pour produced a pale gold well carbonated body, with a pillowy two finger tall white head.
Very clean aroma, lightly toasted malt. I'm getting no hops at all from the taste or aroma. A bit of grain in each, but thats it.
Light bodied, a touch of butterscotch, very clean. There just isn't much here. Built to not offend.

2.49/5  rDev +2.5%

A beer designed to be drinkable, and nothing more.

Poured a yellow so pale I almost thought it was mountain dew. Head dissapeared quickly, leaving me with my light, indistinguashable beer.

Aroma wasn't bad, lager yeast, touch of caramel and minute hops.

Flavor was basically bland, nothing really bad, nothing really good. Generally sweet, with the barest touch of hops. If it wasn't so light it could be out of balance.

Thin and watery on the mouth, and overall, a poor beer. Not the worst on earth, but so plain and in inviting I couldn't buy it.

1.68/5  rDev -30.9%

Extremely clear light golden color. Head is heavy at first but leaves very quickly. Almost like a soda pop.

Doesn't smell like much... has a typical "beer" smell... light hops and grain.

Tastes like tonic water if you filtered it through a piece of bread. Not much character or flavor. Aftertaste has light grain.

Sharp carbonation (again like soda pop) and very thin in mouth.

It's pretty easy to drink because it doesn't taste like anything. I wouldn't go out of my way to have one.

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

The white head clings to the palest of brews.

I was amazed to find an aroma here. Perhaps because I let it get towards room temperature. A yeasty smell was evident and pleasant.

The taste was somewhat nondescript but also nonoffensive- it faded away quickly. Very little mouthfeel but certainly quite drinkable.

As a cornfed beer drinker I had to admit this rice brewed Bud wasn't bad.

One historical thought- like Pilsner, Budweiser was once a style of beer. In fact, Miller and other big brewers offered their own Budweisers! Props to the AB legal team!

1.03/5  rDev -57.6%

Ok.. after a look back at this review, i decided to lower the rating even more. This beer has no flavour, except for the faint beachwood ??? either way it tastes bad, barely any aroma, so its hard to determine what it is even supposed to smell like. I guess the only plus about this beer is that it goes down like water, very smooth. If your looking for beer, don't waste your cash on this * beer*. Highly overpriced for its *quality*

2.68/5  rDev +10.3%

I like this beer even though its not my favorite. Its a pale yellowish color with almost no excisting head. It tastes of some malt mostly but its pretty one dimensional. Great beer to have under the sun while grilling its probbably the only beer that i'll keep drinking from my college (cheap) years when they are over.

2.73/5  rDev +12.3%

A friend stopped by with some while I was outdoors enjoying the sun, so I said, "What the hell, let's review". So, poured into the glass with a short lived white head over pale watery looking yellow liquid. Nose is light with weak adjuncty aromas...not too much goin' on, you catch my drift? The taste was much like the nose, a brief crispness gives way to pinprick carbonation and flavors of light light malt and adjuncty/rice/corn flavors. Finishes quick and watery. Over, finished, done, gone, out!

1.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Yuck. What a stale nasty excuse for a beer. It gets you drunk and that's about all it's good for. It has a terrible aftertaste, and almost as bad of an actual taste. It amazes me what a great marketing campaign can do for such an awful excuse for a beverage.

2.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Budweiser the self proclaimed King of Beers. Funny how they say this, it isn't even in the royal family of beers, maybe the jester of beers. A big joke

Look: comes in a dark bottle with the famous red and white Budweiser label, pours a straw yellow with little head, bubbles heavy.

Smell: The smell is almost like what you would think carbonated hops would smell like. Doesn't smell like a great beer but of course the important thing is taste.

Taste: Well the taste is also below par, almost a light watered down bitter taste. I find Busch, a cheaper version in the BUD family to be better than this, and that is not saying alot.

2.83/5  rDev +16.5%

330ml bottled

Pours with a pale, lemony yellow body. Fuzzy white head, pretty good retention

Smell, rice comes off, some smooth malt, little off flavours suprisingly

Taste, crisp biscuity mouthfeel, smooth and slightly perfumy, some slight corn on the finish

In bottle, chilled its a drinkable macro lager tbh, not the worst of its kind. Still, no winner

The US standard of adjunct beers, boring colourless and dull

2.18/5  rDev -10.3%

Compared 4 U.S. Macro brews together to see if there is REALLY any winners here.

Executive Summary:

Scores: A S T M D

Coors Regular: 2 3 3 2 3 = 2.7
Budweiser Regular: 2 1.5 2 3 3 = 2.1
Miller MGD: 2 1.5 1.5 2.5 1.5 = 1.7
Ice House: 3 2.5 2 2.5 2 = 2.35

All brews were assumed to be a 2 in all categories before reviewing.

APPEARANCE: All look pretty much the same except Ice House, It’s a Bit darker.

SMELL: Budweiser has almost no smell, just a bit of grain. Coors smells distinctly of Banana and grain with a bit of yeast. MGD smells barely like bread. Ice House smells a bit citrus. Coors was best but Ice House was far better than Bud or MGD.

TASTE: Budweiser tastes of grain and is mildly sweet. Coors tastes of grain and is Tart compared to Budweiser. MGD tastes sweetest, but has an off taste to it. Ice House tastes like a tarter version of Budweiser. Coors was best, only MGD had a weird taste.

MOUTHFEEL: None of these really have it, Bud is thickest, and Coors is thinnest. Only Budweiser has any real Mouthfeel.

DRINKABILITY: Coors and Budweiser are about the same, MGD has that off taste and it cost it points, Ice House is OK, but not quite as good as Budweiser or Coors.

CONCLUSION: Drink better beers! But if you are trapped without a choice Coors, Bud, Ice House, and MGD.

2.09/5  rDev -14%

The King of Beers? Not quite, perhaps the King of the Superbowl, with the Bud Bowl/Frogs/Horses/etc. For all it's flaws, however, this beer isn't an incredibly bad looking beer (If you don't mind a beer that looks like urine). It pours a pale yellow/gold color with a head that is gone after 3.14159 seconds. The smell is not impressive at all, but it doesn't completely turn you away. The taste is pretty blah, and it makes you ask the all important question--am I actually drinking beer? Because the characteristics of a beer (maltiness/hoppiness) aren't there. Of course, it's still a beer that can be drank in high quantities (it's good for beer pong, because the taste is only improved by anything that gets on the ping-pong ball).

Perhaps the best overall opinion I ever heard about Budweiser was told to me by a friend who visited the Straub Brewery in Northern PA. They had a picture of a horse drinking beer out of a bucket labeled "straub" and pissing into a bucket labeled "budweiser".

2.72/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer pours an almost clear color with a little gold tint. The head is a thick frothy white which quickly fades to a spotty lace. The aroma is light with little malt or hop scent. The taste is skunky, but refreshing. It has no malt character. I hate the use of brewing adjuncts to create a paler, cleaner beer. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carboantion. It drinks rough for me, but there are a lot out there who love it; I can't figure it out.

3.1/5  rDev +27.6%

This is my first on-tap review. I passed on the Michelob Light and Bud Liite. Great choices are so difficult. To my profound surprise, this Bud poured a frothy white head and laced down the glass. I could actually smell a hint of hops in the nose. Mouthfeel was well carbonated. Taste was light bodied, and flavor was negligible. Still, this draft ended up as an acceptable session beer. Especially, after seeing the skunky, green coloured brew that came out of the Michelob tap.

1.73/5  rDev -28.8%

Wow. This is way worse out of the can than the bottle. How can this be so much worse? I don't know anything about these things. The taste is still primarily grain or...whatever...but it's sour, overcarbonated, and metallic. I had trouble finishing this. Flashback to Milwaukee's Beast.

3.02/5  rDev +24.3%

very pale clear yellow, i can't believe how clear this beer is, and pale! a simple taste. it's like one big flavor that builds fast and slowly rolls away, and that one flavor isn't that great. when my old drinking buddies were drinking natty light, i would drink this. when they started to drink this, i started drinking heiniken. (they never drank that) now i realize how shitty they all were. (IMO)

i have never noticed this before but, heiniken and bud smell and look alot alike!

3.64/5  rDev +49.8%

I like many of you still enjoy a macro, I have to where I live it's hard to get specialty brews. This is probably my favorite of all the macros. Like all american macros the color leaves alot to be desired. The taste however is one of the best, great start and a clean finish. Really a great beer to enjoy on a hot summer day.

2.17/5  rDev -10.7%

Despite my recent past with this beer. See "of all the nights" in the BA Talk forum. I have decided to put it behind me and review it.

First there is no reason to enjoy this one out of a glass. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. This is a beer to drink, not to enjoy. This is, of course, not to say that this beer doesn't have enjoyable aspects, it does.

As far as american Macros go, I think this is the best, It's relatively cheap, has a pretty good taste (aside from the fact you can really taste the rice, which I don't particularly like) and you can sit down with your college buddies and polish off a case of it without getting alcohol poisioning.
But I digress. Nothing about Budweiser is impressive. It is what it is, it's a macro, plain and simple

3.36/5  rDev +38.3%

Background: While this beer and the brewer are often put down (unfairly, IMO). I like this beer. It may lack in substance but for me it has a purpose. No matter where I go, if I want a beer and don't want to think about making a choice or ask for a beer list, I can say "gimme a Bud" and I'll get a cold Bud longneck that tastes the same every time.

Appearance: Typical American macro lager. But its supposed to be. Bonus point for the bottle design and the "Eagle & A" logo. Always a favorite for years.

Smell: Little noticeable smell, but that's what I would want in the beer. A-B doesn't want its consumers to smell their beers, they want them to drink them.

Taste: Not a full flavored beer, but that's the idea here. Not bad, just nothing special.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, goes down easy, quenches the thirst after mowing the lawn or cleaning the garage.

Drinkability: Every bottle the same, and "fresh". Just what I would want.

1.78/5  rDev -26.7%

Overall, a very thin, weak beer with little to offer. This beer must be served ice cold or else not served at all. It is nearly flavorless and without any character or interest at all. When poured into my glass, the beer bubbled like I'd expect from a can of Sprite/7up. Within seconds, the head was gone (not uncharacteristic) and what was left was a thin golden (nearly clear) beer. The first flavor you'll experience is moderately bitter with no other flavoring. When this subsides, you are pretty much done with tasting the beer.

2.97/5  rDev +22.2%

This is by far my favorite macro. Had it on tap at Bennigan's in Bloomington. It is suprisingly well balaned and flavorful, for a macro. It definitely has more flavor than any miller or coors products, IMO. I wouldn't turn one down, but I'd still probably drink something more interesting if given the choice.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch