Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,575 | Hads: 5,678
3.69/5  rDev +51.9%

12 oz. bottle with an easy to find, easy to read born on date that puts this at 2 months old. Take note, craft breweries.

For whatever reason, I prefer this one out of the bottle. A perfect, crisp AAL for a hot day. When summer is around, I crave an ice cold Bud.

For the style, it's at the top of its game. And I've never had an "off" bottle of Budweiser. Ever. Again, take note, craft breweries.

1.72/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Budweiser is only drinkable out of a can while out on the lake on a hot summer day or while grilling outside on a scorching hot summer day. Your brain tricks you into liking it because it is so hot outside and your body wants something to drink. I have to admit I will drink it from a bottle at a mexican restaurant because it surprisingly goes well with a meal from a mexican dive restaurant. Other than the instances I have mentioned I do not drink Budweiser. You will find this beer smells and taste skunky. You do not want to sit on your couch, cut on a good TV show and crack open a Budweiser. You will question your life choices

1.4/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Budweiser... Pumping out a ridiculous amount of beer yet always retaining that same taste. This beer pours a clear straw yellow color with a finger head that disappears quickly. The smell is a very faint one but it smells like sweet malts. The taste is more of the same. It's a light beer with a good amount of carbonation. This beer is what it is. It's a Budweiser it's not trying to be anything that it's not. It's never my first choice but whenever I have it I know what I'm getting into. To sum it up in one word it would be "meh"

1.84/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Yeah, I know right? Well, come to find out I never did a review on ol' Budweiser and that is because I found this 16 ounce cool aluminum can in my beer cooler. Somebody was trying to pull a funny on me as I haven't even drank one of these for a good 20+ years, and there is a good reason why. Ha! Can was chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier" thumb-print goblet.

Brew pours a light straw-yellow in color with really no head to speak of. Same with the lacing. Aroma is of sweet malts and grains for the most part with a hint of corn even. Pretty much is said for the taste. Not really good at all in my opinion and probably is why I haven't drank it in 20+ years. Not seeing me drinking it again either, even if it was free and no other beers to drink. Lighter to medium-bodied with high carbonation as you can see lots of bubbles streaming up from the sides and bottle of the glass. Overall, not for me.

2.06/5  rDev -15.2%

Enjoyed at a Argentinian steakhouse because it was the free beer that came with the meal. In keeping with their macro self pride and bashing of micros it was served with meat and lots of it. Used as merely a liquid to wash down massive quantities of food, as they purport, it served well. As far as a taste I really didn't get any vibes except for a soda pop like carbonation, a way too sweet adjunct maltiness and a funky beechwood aging that I quickly squelched with further servings of fine meat. I must say it served its purpose as a processing liquid and that is how I must rate it, in keeping with their wishes. PS the next day I was good so all the rumors about "Buttwiper" must just be off. Maybe only two mugs wasn't enough!

3.3/5  rDev +35.8%

Poured into a snifter/tulip/wine glass from a 12oz bottle

A - a translucent light golden yellow, one finger quickly dissipating white almost foamy head and no lacing/legs

S - sweet malt, sweet grains, sweet yeast, sweet fruity hop notes and that is about it.

T - very sweet, lots of carbonation, sweet grains/malts, slight fruity hop note, lots of baking/bread yeast. A simple lager/pilsner.

M - Medium minus body, medium minus acidity, medium to medium plus carbonation, ok balance, ok complexity and a sweet malt/ bread yeast start to finish

D/O - very refreshing, extremely drinkable and the consistency can't be matched. Nothing to complain about but nothing to write home about either. Just simple easy drinking lager style beer.

Final thoughts - At a very low $5-6 a sixer, simple 5.5% ABV and almost refreshing as water. Very drinkable, overly simple and quite tasty for the style.

3.37/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

(8/8 Bottle) - Hops aroma, clean golden appearance with good carbonation. Beer smooth, fresh and easy going down. Great with a meal or enjoying a summer day, and at a ballgame.

2.07/5  rDev -14.8%

2/6 in my AAL tasting

Light golden color, fizzy white head that fades fast.

Smells metallic and slightly sour. A bit of a catty urine smell. Spent grains. Overcooked rice.

Has an bit of a sour note up front, like vague spoiled oats. Leftover rice that has developed mildew. Also very metallic. Very watery. There is a corn syrup sweetness on the finish. There is a bit of a floral sweetness as well, which is the best thing I can say about this beer.

Very watery, very dry, somewhat crisp.

This beer is surprising different from coors. It's not as sweet and has a much more watery moouthfeel. It has a lot more sour and metallic notes. It is the least interesting beer I have ever tasted.

1.5/5  rDev -38.3%

Looks like beer. Haven't had it in years however from what I remember it smells horrible. And it tastes alright as long as its cold. Nothing really stuck out aside. I wouldn't really recommend it

2.21/5  rDev -9.1%

When I poured this it had a nice golden hue. I noticed bubbles throughout the pint glass and there was a decent amount of head which dissipated after about a minute. When I smelled this beer I didn't really notice much of anything. The same goes for the taste. I detected some grain in there but overall this was very bland. Of the big three American beer makers this is probably the worst.

1.2/5  rDev -50.6%

I was in a situation earlier today in which I was able to acquire a bottle of this for free. I realized this is one of a very few of the most popular macro adjunct lagers I had not yet posted a review of so I figured what the hell why not? Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a twist off bottle cap into one of my pint glasses, this pours an extremely clear, light golden straw color with lots of constant streams of little bubbles rising to the beer's surface. I gave it a pretty rough put in an attempt to get a decent head on this, but to no avail. The head was about 1/4 of an inch thick when first poured that diminishes almost immediately to a nice big cluster swirl of a film layer of foam on the beer's surface along with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Has a grainy aroma along with some rice and corn hints I suppose? Much too weak of a smell overall to be able to distinguish very much here. Has a fairly sweet, grainy taste upfront of what I can only assume must be the aforementioned rice and corn. This fades very quickly to, well, nothing after a sip is swallowed. No malted barley flavor or any hint of hop bitterness to speak of. So much for the "choicest hops" and "best barley malt" the label speaks of. If this is was the choicest hops and best barely malt tastes like then I'll gladly stick to the malted barley and hops that many of my favorite craft breweries use in their beers thank you very much! I can't taste even the faintest trace of any malted barley of hops. None whatsoever. Period! If any are actually used in the production of this beer, the amounts must be so small that the flavors are unable to be detected by the human taste bud. That said, the taste is not foul or offensive by any means like I find it to be with some other macro adjunct lagers I've tried over the years, it is just that there is barely any flavor profile here to speak of whatsoever. On a hot summer night, drinking this cold is actually refreshing the way drinking seltzer water is. Nothing wrong with that at all, but that is not at all what I look for want when drinking a beer. This is certainly not what beer is ever supposed to be. Has a clean finish and a slightly grainy and sweet, faint aftertaste. Has a crisp, yet also smooth and frothy, light bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Malt liquor such as Colt 45 and Olde English 800 have a stronger and better tasting flavor profile than this does. Drinking this again for the first time in 3 years served to remind me of the fact that there are some decent adjunct lagers out there that have a decent and decently strong flavor profile for what they are and that I don't mind drinking one or two of once in awhile. Beers like PBR, Labatt Blue, Miller High Life, Red Stripe, Rolling Rock, Molson, Quilmes, Straub, Black Label, Hue, and Cobra. I was quite disappointed with this, as I was expecting to be. Avoid!

1.92/5  rDev -21%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I'm drinking the English 4.8% version, so this may be a bit skewed, but probably not my much. A pissy smell gradually subsides after the initial pour, along with almost all of the head. Grassy adjunct with a hint of taste that is only akin to how I think baby's vomit might taste like, with a physically dry aftertaste. Brewed with the "choicest hops, rice, and best barley malt," indeed.

At least Mexican lagers make sense in their context to me. This beer makes no sense and as a "world renowned king of beers," it's brand narrative is disingenuous to boot.

3.01/5  rDev +23.9%

12 oz brown bottle into a Pilsner Glass

A - Clear. Pale straw in color. Very fast rising carbonation. Bubble white head that dissipates quickly to a thin lacing. 2.75/5

S - Light grains. More roasted than toasted. Corn. Grassy hops. Ever so slight green apple aroma. 3/5

T - Very light cereal grains and rice. Not as much corn as expected based on the aroma. Earthy. Grassy hops on the back end provide a slight bitterness. Aroma made me expect more from the flavor. Simple, nothing eye popping or shocking here. No off flavors to speak of. 3/5

M - Scrubbing bubbles sensation from the carbonation. Very crisp, clean, and very dry. Gone as soon as it's swallowed. Very light bodied. 3.25/5

O - Good beer to have with food or while watching a game (pretty much the same goes for every beer of this style honestly). Very light bodied beer that sits comfortably and has a nice, enjoyable, familiar flavor. 3/5

2.87/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Check in and first Bud ever. Not bad, just a little sweet without any real distinct grain or hop flavours to back it up; it is quite obviously adjunct grain. Not even as crisp as I expected, but overall could be a lot worse. You could be drinking Bud Light (Lime).

2.89/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had this on tap at a festival where they had their portable "brewmaster's tour" trailer set up, so it was a free sample. (And I'm not going to say no to a free beer on a 90+ degree day.) I hate Bud Light, so I was expecting the same seltzer-water, lightly bitter taste that turns me off so much about it. But actually, Budweiser is okay. Now, I'm sure my rating is skewed a bit by the fact that it was fresh beer and it was ungodly hot outside, but honestly, it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Tastes like light barley malt and some mild hops, and not much else. But not too watery and not extremely fizzy. I don't hate it, and if someone had this, Coors/Miller/Bud Light at a barbecue or something similar, I'd gravitate towards Budweiser every single time.

2.44/5  rDev +0.4%

Wasn't as godawful as I'd remembered/expected. Actually detected a bit of body, and some soft grain and hop suggestions! I know, really shocking. But what may have played a part was the six-pack of Grapefruit Sculpin I had first. And for the record, I didn't finish the Bud.

4.5/5  rDev +85.2%

Honestly one of the best balanced beers this world has ever seen. The addition of the rice adjunct provides the light color and helps with the crisp flavor of this classic American beer. Speaking critically, this is a fantastic beer.

1.75/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Excellent degreaser for tools and car engines. Kidding, kidding. Hey Its not bad if its ice cold and the day is hot. Its has a little too much carbonation and the taste is weak and a little bitter. What ever you do, and this is very important, never let your Budweiser get a little bit warm. It will be undrinkable. More so than any other beer ever made, or will be made, in the world.

1.95/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Poured from a 16oz can with a "born on date" of 05/18/15

Pours a light pale straw color with a decent white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little more than a wisp of lacing.

Aromas of boiled rice with subtle estery notes of caramel and green apple candy.

Taste is quite light with a mild upfront sweetness giving way to a mildly pleasant mid-palate. The finish is quite short and tastes like a damp dust cloth. A used damp dust cloth.

This can be guzzled for maximum effect. Pretty neutral and non-offensive. Actually tastes much better straight from the can. Refreshing and nondescript.

2.8/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Cfrom bottle, clear pale golden color with white head. Malty grainy cornish aroma. Sweet and light bitter taste. Light thin body with soft to average carbonation

1.3/5  rDev -46.5%

Had to drink it for a whole weekend at a festival. I almost puked after taking a sip at the end of a night. Every time I drink it I'm telling myself I will never pay for this crap again....

For the record though, there's lot of lager that I don't care to drink, but Budweiser is just awful.

2.87/5  rDev +18.1%

Fizzy yellow beer, light. Smells kinda nasty, tastes considerably better. Don't drink from a bottle or can, only get on tap or you will regret life.

1.06/5  rDev -56.4%

Seriously. I don't have anything nice to say about this, so, I'll just leave it at that. (However, I got to say that it was one of the few beers that I ever had that gave me a head ache while I was drinking it.)

3.49/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

As someone who doesn't have lots of money to spend on beer, this is my go-to. There is nothing exceptional about Budweiser, but it's refreshing and iconic.

3.39/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass.
Clarity is good,lite straw colored.
Carbonation steadily feeds a thin cap, mouth feel is crisp.
Flavor profile muted, but a gentle hop presence.
Overall as I remembered.