Microbrew Invitational

BudweiserBudweiser

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,623 | Ratings: 5,893
2.59/5  rDev +6.6%

Amazing clarity, soft yellow color, 1" white head. Aroma of corn and rice.

Lots of carbonation, some hop zip, noble. Very light body. Carbonation is so much it is a distraction.

Very consistent, but also consistently devoid of good hop mouthfeel and all barley malt.

1.12/5  rDev -53.9%

Now I know why some people refer to this stuff as ButtWiper. I used to drink Bud many moons ago in my youth. Mainly for $$$ reasons i.e., it was cheap. Haven't had one in many years so I thought I'd try one just for the heck of it.

Half the bottle, more than half really, was poured down the kitchen sink drain.

Smells bad, tastes bad and looks bad. And this stuff sells big? Wow.

2.66/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not bad, but thin feel and flavor is pretty weak. Obviously not a craft beer, but it's very drinkable and still can be good, depending on your purpose.

How do people actually drink this shit? Let me tell you my story. When I was young, I would never drink beer because it all tasted like shit. Back then, there wasn't easy access to real beer like there is today. One day someone offered me a Guinness Draught and I fell n love with beer. I began seeing and drinking a lot of good beer. Several years later someone offered me a Bud at a party. Stupid me didn't bring good beer, like I usually do. And let me tell you, when I'd bring real beer to a gathering, everyone loved it. I took one drink of that Bud and had to spit it out, before I got sick to my stomach. I will never again put any high volume domestic beer in my mouth, it actually taste like poison to me.

3.4/5  rDev +39.9%

God I used to drink Bud like it was going out of style for a long time. The last ten years have been optimistic for everything else. A month ago I chocked down a 12 pack of bud in cans, it must be cold and in a bottle. I watched Pet Semetary and Jud drinks bud in the bottle and I had to get 6 18 ouncers in da bottle, so much better! I hat canned bud it sends me into a place we won't talk about on here. Bud bottle the only way to go!

3.16/5  rDev +30%

A: Crystal clear straw color, large white head, slight lacing

S: Bread, hops

T: Malts and adjunct grain sweetness, hop bitterness to balance, slight flavor of the beechwood used to age

M: Light, crisp, dry

O: Finally, I give the king a review. Crisp, dry, sweet but balanced. Accounting for price, availability along with all the characteristics rated, the king deserves to be revered.

2.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

33cl bottle. Pours a pale yellow, clear, with a white head with decent retention. Smells sweet and bland, with notes of boiled corn and sugar. The taste follows the same notes.

2.12/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured very cold from a 25 ounce can into a chilled glass.

Look: Somewhat dark yellow in color and very translucent. I hate to admit it, but I poured it way too vigorously into a glass trying not to spill it from the can. This caused a hilarious sized head that took up half the glass. I poured a second glass from the same can into the then un-chilled glass (before pouring it down the drain) after finishing the first glass much more slowly and gently and it produced no head.

Smell: It smelled like a room filled with apples. Actually brought back memories of my childhood. I could also smell some grain character.

Taste: A bit funky. There was a taste that I couldn't really put my finger on, but it was odd to say the least. It might have been a combination of the grain and apple tastes that were coming through slightly.

Feel: I did get some carbonation, but I think the over-aggressive pouring killed it a bit. Either way I did find it had a refreshing quality. It definitely wasn't a bad feel, in fact I kind of liked it. It was fuller in feel than I was expecting.

Overall: I wouldn't say I thought it was terrible, but bad is definitely the right term for my experience. It was refreshing in a way, but since it's winter at the time of this review it really didn't make much of a difference. I could definitely see this being consumed on a hot day during the summer for the refreshing quality, but that's about it.

I checked the "birthdate" on the can: July 18th 2015. So it was about 6 months old by the time I consumed it.

2.17/5  rDev -10.7%

"The King of Beers" so says the label. This was my first legal beer back in '09. Oh how innocent I was back then. Enough reverie. The head is large, but it collapses into nothing, and I mean nothing. I detected corn in the nose. Not only corn, but something else which I cannot place. Taste is corny like corn niblets from Green Giant. Color is straw, pale gold. Was fairly fizzy, as there were many steady streams of carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass, it also stings your tongue. An aside, this beer sends me right to the bathroom. Something in it does not agree with my insides. This is the only beer to do this. Haven't found another.

2.43/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 16oz. can directly into a pint glass. Large, fizzy head briefly appears but doesn't stay long. Honestly, this beer isn't terrible.

L- Pale gold, bubbles rising but no head.

S- Faint, maybe a slight corn scent. Nothing outstanding.

T- Very slightly sweet, almost fruity, hints of corn and malt. Not strong at all, but not overly light either. Nothing to really hate about this beer, honestly it's incredibly easy to drink.

F- Smooth, slides down like water.

Like I said above, it's hard to find a fatal flaw about this beer. Sure, it's a macrobrew, and no it's not phenomenal; but there's something about the consistency of Budweiser creating this mediocre brew on a large scale that makes you feel proud to be an American. Sure, it's not a beer to be proud of drinking on a regular basis, but it's a beer that has survived the test of time, and is still a favorite among the general population. I don't usually drink garbage beer, but if I had to choose one- Budweiser hands down would be my choice every single time.

2.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A gift from a friend who refers to this as "golden delicious"....ummm...Thanks Kevin!

Poured form the can into a pint glass this easy drinking brew is pale clear yellow with a very nice head of white foam that lingers long with good sudsy lacing. Nose of sweet cereal grains and little else. Flavors surpass the nose with sweet sugary cereal grains that oddly enough remind me of rice krispies. Smooth lightly creamy and easy to drink with ample carbonation and a clean watery finish with a sweet aftertaste. Is it astounding, no, but this is an American classic that has it's place among the public who love their sweeter brews. A thirst quencher that brings back a very old memory of one of the best brews I had when young going back to a camp site after a long hot day at work. I will admit it has been somewhat pleasurable, but just not a satisfying brew. Sessionable. Indeed. But all in all it is lacking seriously in the flavor department.

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%

Let's all try not to be assholes for a moment here - this is a solid beer. Drank cold from the bottle on a hot day or a from a chilled pint glass with a juicy burger and fries? Hits the spot. Consistent, lightly floral notes up front that lead to the classic (overly derided) wheat/cereal taste. No bitter aftertaste, nothing cloying, nothing in the way of mouthfeel. It won't ruin your palette or steal the thunder from a well cooked meal, but it won't impress you either. There's a place for beer like this. After a couple of meaty IPAs I'll reach for a Bud to give my taste buds a well-deserved break and wind down the evening.

2.79/5  rDev +14.8%

I have a soft spot because of college. Sometimes this was the only friend I had, Yes, sad I know, I also would drink this with spicy food. Now I would go for Modelo Especial or Red Stripe. Mega Brews are seeing their slow death. Peace!

1.86/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 fl oz. can, best by date March 03, 2016 printed on the bottom of the can. Finally reviewing the self-proclaimed 'King Of Beers', can gifted to me from a friend who brought over the twelve pack. Lord have mercy, here we go.

Poured into appropriate Budweiser pint glass. #properglassware.

A - Pours a ridiculously clear pale gold. Lots of bubbles in the glass as it pours. Manages to conjure a finger or so of bubbly 'head' that disappears before I can even get my camera out to take a picture. Looks like pee in the glass.

S - Smell of cheap adjuncts. Corn? Grain. Adjunct laden swill is about the only descriptors I can come up with. Smells like cheap shitty 'beer'. Hops? None. Rice? Nope. Grains & water. That's about all there is.

T - Taste is the same: cheap grains / adjuncts. Corn, corn syrup, husk. Flavorless swill.

M - Feel is smooth, crisp, clean, watery. Weak. Beer-flavored water.

Overall, not the king of beers by any means. One of the worst beers I've tried, and probably one of the worst beers widely distributed and available. Cheap adjunct swill, I probably wouldn't drink this again if even if it was given to me.

Budweiser -----1.5/5

2.32/5  rDev -4.5%

I give the look a high rating because it's part of my hometown and I see it all the damn time. This beer is only good at the hockey games............LGB!

To be fair, I only bought this beer to cook with. Up until I bought this, I had a very very good track record, including double duckpin, double shot, haze and heady topper to name a few.

On to the taste, its basically seltzer water with a miniscule hint of hay. I am convinced that this beer exists only to trick high schoolers into thinking they are badass

1.75/5  rDev -28%

awful to say the least. would much rather go for a light lager instead of this. it has a medicinal taste and the aftertaste is worse, not to mention the wicked hangovers this produces.

1.7/5  rDev -30%

This is not lager. It is not beer. It is soda water with alcohol. They make such a fuss about the way they make it and claim it is the king of beers, reality is it has no taste. It what kids drink at house parties before they like beer (in the UK anyway) because they've seen Americans drinking it on TV and film. If you drink budweiser you're not drinking beer

1.63/5  rDev -32.9%

It's a very clear pale beer with an ok head. The taste was very... barley, or grain like. One distinct notice about the flavor was that it seemed watered down mixed with citrus or lemon. I guess a more blunt description would be that it tasted like... beer. Nothing too special about it. I mean, it tasted like it smells... like beer. The feel was fizzy, and my overall judgment was that it is a good beer if you're not looking for a lot of complexity.

1.25/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

04/05/2016
Hello?; Hey Lou, ’Sup? Nothin’ Pete, watchin’ the game, havin’ a Bud. ’Sup with you? Nothin’, watchin’ the game, havin’ a Bud. True, True. Wassup? Wassssup? Yo, who dat? Yo Yo, pick up the phone. Hello? Wasssup? Wassssup? Suuuppppp? Yo, where’s Dukey? Yo, Dukey. Yo. Wassup? Waaaaassssssuuupppp, wassssuuupppp, suuuuupppppppppp!!!!!!!! Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!. Yo, hold on. Hello? WWWWWAAAAAASSSSSSZSUUUUUPPPPPPPPPP?????????? Wassssupppp, wasssuuujpppppp. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! So, what’s up with you? Nothin’. Watching the game, havin’ a Bud. True, True.

1.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Your standard beer. Although mostly tasteless, there is a slight sweetness akin to that present in Coors Light. The ever so slight sweetness and taste of nothing make this beer very drinkable. Although it is the premium older brother of Bud Light, it is much more defined in its taste, whereas Bud Light could easily be mistaken for water, piss, and alcohol. I've drank at least 30 of these, and when I can't afford a six-pack of craft beer, I alternate between this Budweiser and Coors Light.

2.2/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Clear, pale golden color with fine, fizzy, quickly shrinking white head. Smell is grainy, not quite bready, and a touch sweet. Taste is much the same. Lots of adjuncts, virtually no hop bitterness, watered down lemon. Not very good for a beer, or even really for the style, lowly as it is, but there is nothing about it that I would describe as nasty, either. It is, in any case, very refreshing and very drinkable. Light-bodied, but not too thin. More sudsy than I expected, figured carbonation would be a little more on the spritzy side. This helps with the smoothness and crispness I think.

2.91/5  rDev +19.8%

obviously it's not the best beer you can buy but it's honestly not that bad. it would be nice if it was a little cheaper though because it's a little overpriced in my opinion, so i rarely drink it.

3.18/5  rDev +30.9%

appearance-its a very clear and bubbly golden beer.

smell- smells like beer. which is what i expect when i smell a budweiser. if you have never smelt a budweiser before but you have smelt any other of the big beers then you know what budweiser smells like.

feel-i dont even know what this means but it feels very fizzy if thats what "feel" means

taste- tastes like beer. pretty much all that can describe this beer and in my opinion thats a good thing. absolutly zero hop flavor from this beer but there is a bitterness everytime i drink budweiser. its very sweet with a slight bitterness but overall i enjoy the taste of budweiser.

overall-is this the best beer in the world? no. is this the king of beers? no. is it my favorite beer? yes. of the beers i have had which are budweiser, bud light, coors banquet, miller lite, pabst blue ribbon, busch light, heineken light, keweenaw brewing company blonde ale, keweenaw brewing brown ale, keweenaw black ale, bells two hearted ale, and some of the hard ciders i would say that budweiser is my favorite. it doesnt taste the best but it goes down smooth and you can pound alot of them

1.93/5  rDev -20.6%

The only thing going for this "king of beers" beer is that it's easy to drink. It's lighter, but not nearly as light as Bud Light or other light beers. It's simple in flavor - nothing fancy, but not too watered down. I get it in China on occasion when the only other options are Dali or Snow beer - two Chinese brands that I can do without.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch