Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
theRooster90

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Not a slam but definitely avoid this beer! I don't know why there is so much popularity of it. Maybe mine was skunked or a bad batch but this was horrible at best. The look is a typical American Lager look. Taste and mouthfeel were absolutely horrid. Overall avoid this beer and go for some Coke instead.

08-30-2011 19:47:02 | More by theRooster90
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev +27.9%

OK, I've put off this one for long enough. This is the Canadian version, though I doubt the AB knack for flavour consistency in their beers stops at national borders. Single tallboy can; pours that familiar pale straw colour topped with a lofty two-finger bone white head. Streams of bubbles zip their way to the surface. The head is mostly gone within a minute, leaving behind a thin cap. The smell is almost undetectable but I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing. Some rice adjunct, but pretty clean-smelling I guess. Tap water also usually smells pretty clean though.

This is a prototypical adjunct lager. Rice adjunct and grainy, diluted barley malts are basically the only flavours. Sorry but I can't find any hops here, although the can advertises their existence. Absolutely clean-tasting, with almost no aftertaste. Thin, watery mouthfeel with heavy soda-pop carbonation. So far this review probably hasn't seemed very favourable from an unbiased observer's perspective, but to be fair this stuff is perfectly drinkable. Maybe a little bloaty, but it's not that awful.

Caveat: I always rate to style, and for an adjunct lager, this really isn't that bad; it is closer to completely average. A little lighter on flavour than its Canadian competitors, but it probably makes up for this in drinkability. Honestly though, the only reason I bought this was to review it, and I'll probably never buy Bud again.

08-26-2011 04:39:41 | More by thehyperduck
TheRealBigC

Nevada

2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I don't know why I'm bothing to tackle these adjunct lagers, but here I am doing it.

I will say that Budweiser is my favorite of the major American names (Bud, Coors, Miller), but obviously that isn't saying much. I can deal with having these from time to time, especially if my options are Bud and Bud Light (although water would do too, or soda). Sometimes you just want an unassuming, light, no frills beer. Sometimes.

08-26-2011 04:15:02 | More by TheRealBigC
aeolianshredhead

Australia

2.9/5  rDev +24.5%

Time to review one of the American "big three". This one has a particularly bad reputation amongst beer connoisseurs. Coming from Australia myself, I am most curious to see how this stacks up with our truly dreadful macro lagers.

A- So far, not bad. It's just a standard lager look with a head that stays around longer than expected. Meh. Seen better, seen worse.

S- Well, straight away the adjucts hit my nose. Rice and starch. At least this has a smell, as opposed to say... Carlton cold.

T- The absolute worst I can say about this is it doesn't have much going on. That's it. Despite what people seem to be saying, it doesn't actually taste bad. It is albeit quite bland and uninteresting. Simply, this is just a (hugely) typical adjuncty taste.

T- Sure it's a bit thin, so what? I expected nothing less from a beer in this style. It's pretty fizzy and a little unsettling but nothing bad in all honesty.

O- Oh you Americans, stop whining please! Be thankful that at least you have this en masse when you could have one of our shitty beers.

08-22-2011 12:36:01 | More by aeolianshredhead
smakawhat

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Well.. after going through plenty of good beers, someone dropped off a six pack and well, why not give this a shot. Hey it's here can't hurt having now reviewed some other adjuncts. Let's see how well this stands up poured into a nonic.

Appearance is a red pull tab with a crown (nice cosmetic touch), white two finger head extremely soapy but falling normally. Body color is crystal clear straw and very large carbonation bubbles. Body color is very weak.

Smell is dry malt, some sweetness, but also a little solvent. Very wet smelling with a mild hop.

Taste is, fairly sweet at first with an extremely light body, seems to remind me of corny tasting lager a bit. Surprising light bread on the finish somewhat. Pappery thin and watery texture with a bit of fizziness. Bread taste doesn't seem to come back after multiple sips, replaces with soda like feel and gas solvent tin metal.

Overall your classic lawnmower beer but with perhaps a bad aftertaste.

08-21-2011 02:06:03 | More by smakawhat
dtreindl

1.43/5  rDev -38.6%

Drink enough and it will make you drunk. That's the best I can say for this yellowish fermented water+? To be honest, I can barely tell the difference between Bud, Coors, Miller, and any other American domestic swill. But let's be honest; despite the commercials, they really aren't going for flavor. They want to produce the most beer at the cheapest expense, without offending your senses. So I guess their market share has proven their success at those commercial goals. Good for them...

08-20-2011 03:05:07 | More by dtreindl
flarnrules

3.95/5  rDev +69.5%

Budweiser. The King of Beers.

Allow me to quote a sentence that I have read, respected, and perhaps agreed with as many times as I have enjoyed this beer. Ice cold; from a bottle.

"This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."

Although I cannot say for sure whether the "cost so much to brew" is an accurate statement, I have to agree that the Beechwood Aging does produce a taste, smoothness, and drinkability that I can not find at any other price. For this reason alone, I feel like Budweiser beer has been treated poorly by receiving a D+.

Budweiser beer is truly the king of American style adjunct lagers. It tastes the way it should taste, is priced the way it should be priced, and is absolutely one of the most consistent beers I have had in my few years as a beer drinker.

08-20-2011 02:03:49 | More by flarnrules
unitmonster

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

A - Fizzy, yellow. The epitome of bad label beers.

S - Metal, skunk. You can really smell how the aluminums

T - Skunky, metallic water. You might be able to pick up on a little rice in this beer.

M - Water.

O - This stuff is disgusting. I won't drink it even if its the only beer at a party.

08-16-2011 03:38:25 | More by unitmonster
DrinkingDrake

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

I'm 25 and so is one of my good friends. His father is in his late fifties and took us fishing so of course we drank good old bud heavy. Straight out of the can is how this was drank but I have seen many Bud's in a glass so I know there is decent head retention at first but that fades about halfway through the glass. Nose is lightly grainy and almost sour. No trace of hops, only the faint cereal and adjunct regularity. Flavor is bitter and tingly from all the carbonation. Best served ice cold because the sour grains will ravage your palette. No hops again in the flavor just the plain, mildly grainy flavor. Finishes crisp and thirst quenching. This beer serves its purpose in certain situations. Fishing on a boat baking in the hot sun is one of them. Bland overall but will always hold a ground in America.

08-16-2011 01:40:49 | More by DrinkingDrake
JeffMcAwesome

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured as aggressively as I could into my Sam Adams glass, leaving a finger and a half head that - despite my best efforts - dissipates before I can load the review page. I'm trying not to be too hard on it, but the color is a sickly pale straw with a slight tinge of green.

The smell can best be described as "beer". It has vague hints of grains, no discernible hops, and a slight skunky odor.

Not really a lot of taste to taste here. It tastes vaguely of cereal, maybe some corn, and it also has a vague skunky taste to complement the vague skunky smell. It has a slightly bitter (in a bad way) aftertaste. It is not actively bad tasting, like some other beers in its price range, but it certainly isn't good.

Pretty high level of carbonation, feels a little like drinking a coke. Other than that, it goes down the hatch pretty smoothly. It would be pretty easy to drink a lot of these, that - and the low price - are its chief selling points.

Overall, it is really not a terrible beer, and I think the rating should be much higher than it is. You have to judge the beer for what it is, and that is a beer for the mass consumption by a people with the blandest taste in food and drink of any people on Earth. By that standard, it passes with flying colors. For those of us who desire more, than yes, you should look elsewhere.

08-12-2011 23:11:30 | More by JeffMcAwesome
Chico1985

1.63/5  rDev -30%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

King of Beers.

Very pale and yellow, big time foamy white head eventually falls to a fizzy cap, spots of lace left.

Poor scent, old cereal, grains, urinals, adjuncty bleh-ness.

Taste is not an improvement...adjuncty to the max, tough to point out any redeeming qualities. Flavors of stale oats, garbage, lemon and astringency. Not a bad mouthfeel for the style, a decent liveliness to it without being overly carbonated.

Like most people I imagine, I've drank my fair share of this, but I find Budweiser to be just plain unpleasant to drink. This to me is among the bottom of the barrel for macros, there are better options at a cheaper price.

08-11-2011 22:51:58 | More by Chico1985
bmwfan1987

Connecticut

2.05/5  rDev -12%

King of beers? Strong statement. I would say this is a lager that is over priced, and absolutely not the king of beers. Is it drinkable? Sure. If someone offered me one, would I accept? Sure. Would I personally go buy this? No. A- it looks like a beer. S- not very good. T- no hops detection. Only drinkable if it's very cold. M- mouthfeel is ok. O- better adjuct lagers out there, would never buy this.

08-09-2011 18:29:18 | More by bmwfan1987
Jerone

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

The beer pours a straw color with a quickly fading bright white head and lots of carbonation.

The smell is of grain, grass and maybe a bit of wood.

The taste is similar to the smell, mainly some grass and corn with a slight woody character. Light body with lots of carbonation, causing the beer to be quite refreshing. There are better macros, but bud is not bad.

08-06-2011 23:35:50 | More by Jerone
gatornation

3.28/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

was in cape coral on vacation..not much craft beer going on grabbed a 16 0z can on way back to hotel

drank straight from the can lots of corn rice and meal smells with some hops and bread..taste was grain some wet grass and hops and malts..mouthfeel was crisp and pure well carbonated..BUD is what it is and they make it very well..its not a bad brew and every once in awhile i enjoy one

08-06-2011 16:17:15 | More by gatornation
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

Consumed on 8/5/11

Note: I decided to punish myself with a 24-ounce can - this was canned less than 2 weeks ago, so I guess this is as good as it gets

Appearance: Extremely clear, an unattractive golden yellow color that is simply too pale - regardless, some lacing, and it does retain a head because of the excessive carbonation

Smell: Grainy, with some aromas that just scream "adjunct" - rice, corn, miscellaneous filler - the smell is pretty weak though, so it's definitely not offensive - definitely some sweetness, definitely lacking any hints of hops

Taste: Some light malts, but the body is mostly just water - like the smell, the lack of bad qualities is a plus for this beer - slightly grainy, slightly sweet - hints of corn husk, hints of green apple skin (acetaldehyde?) - certainly not good, but remarkably average for the style

Mouthfeel: Overly carbonated, mostly crisp but there is some residual stickiness - thin, but compared to Bud Light... it's adequate

Overall: Bad, but not awful

After my recent tasting of Bud Light led me to believe that my standards have shifted slightly, I knew I had to review this beer. To my relief, it's pretty much what I remembered. It's an average macro lager. There are better (and cheaper) ones out there, but this is not embarrassingly bad. I may never drink it again, but I didn't hate this beer. My ability to swallow 24 ounces of this without gagging makes me feel like less of a beer snob.

08-06-2011 05:11:04 | More by angrybabboon
Goblinmunkey7

2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Appearance: The King of Beers stands strong somewhere between the palest of straws and the delicate color of properly hydrated urine. He boasts atop his head a bright-white crown that persists for mere moments before becoming not but a lingering promise of what used to be.

Smell: Deep punches of cereal grain lift the King from his grassy base. The mighty King has tangled with a skunk and come out only slightly worse for the wear. Is that toast in your pocket? I say nay, the King is not known for his complexity. Ah yes, there it is, corn, the smell of the failed King. Shouldn't he smell of rice?

Taste: Our mighty King roars across the plains of the tongue on his steeds made of carbonation. He bubbles, he roils, and he fumes, but he leaves hints of his passing. The ground is scorched by his passing, leaving a dull taste of skunk and old hay on the tongue. He is a desperate King. Despite his fervor, the King does not last long. His taste leaves almost as quickly as it arrives, gone before it even registers.

Mouthfeel: The King is emaciated. He is thin. His bubbly personality is the only thing keeping him afloat, but this sham of joyousness loses all appeal when pulled from the mouth of a skeleton.

Overall: The King very well might be a King, but he is not the King of all beer. He spends all day rolling in the hay, cavorting with skunks in the corn fields. The only regularity in his day comes with his morning cereal. If he is King and Kate is Queen, I think the praying mantis does it right. The King is a play-King, but he plays well.

08-04-2011 03:04:56 | More by Goblinmunkey7
jaialainut

Connecticut

the title of king of beers says it all, sure its massed produced and thats because of its popuarity.
very tasty and refreshing beer that i can find at any great sporting events.
beer snobs of the world have a negative opinion, but where ever you go you will see this great tasting beer being sold and thats the bottom line.

08-03-2011 23:49:33 | More by jaialainut
EoCahill

2.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Cheap, alcoholic, and available absolutely everywhere. There is something to be said for that, folks. Honestly, who out there can say that they haven't made up their mind on Budweiser yet. Love it or hate it, you've still tried it. There is indeed something to be said for that. And the Budweiser you get in LA is the same as the Bud you get in New York or the Bud you get in Moscow or the Bud you get in St. Louis. It is pervasive. I'm just saying...

There's something to be said for that.

08-02-2011 02:42:26 | More by EoCahill
DirtyPenny

2.38/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Light straw color. If you're nice, you'll call it gold. If you're not so nice, urine. Soda-like foam.

S: Cardboard is pretty much all I'm getting from this.

T: A cardboard box half-full of pale malts. No real hop presence. And... do I detect port wine cheese? Either something is seriously wrong with this bottle or something is seriously wrong with me, but I swear I get a bit of port wine when I belch, and something did taste a little odd. Haven't had a Bud in a long time, so I'm not sure if something is seriously wrong with this or if it's just something I never noticed.

M: Light and prickly with carbonation. Fizzy as a soda pop.

O: Eh. Not much to say about the self styled "king of beers." Good enough if that's all that's around, but a very mediocre brew altogether.

08-01-2011 01:17:56 | More by DirtyPenny
DUBinMIA

2.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Served in a pub glass from a bottle.

Very pale straw yellow color, very clear filtered look

no aroma noted

water like very light bodied

taste and looks like water.... no aroma... no head... i hear its very hard to make though and they get it the same every time... i guess that is one positive... oh and they do have good commercials!!!

08-01-2011 00:09:20 | More by DUBinMIA
Sideswipe

2.05/5  rDev -12%

16oz bottle.

A- The beer pours a pale yellow color with two fingers of tight white foam.

S- Sweet. Adjuncts, Rice? Not much else going on here. Certainly not anything in the way of hops.

T- Sweet malt, rice, and fizz. Slight hop flavor in the aftertaste.

M- Decidedly thin and watery. Super high level of carbonation.

O- Not very enjoyable. Wouldn't be having this if anything else was available, or if I had to pay for it.

07-31-2011 22:27:27 | More by Sideswipe
rvdoorn

Netherlands

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Look: the beer pours a clear yellow color with a nice head.
Smell: some corn and malts
Taste: Grain, some metallic tones, paper, and cooked vegetables.
Mouthfeel: Thin body with medium carbonation.
Overall: That this brew dares to have same name as the original Czech budvar …With just the tiniest bit of self respect they would change the name into something else out of respect for the Czechs! This beer is light-years away from their quality and it is hardly drinkable.

07-30-2011 21:54:48 | More by rvdoorn
schlimenhaumer

1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a twist-off bottle into a pint glass at low altitude. Not my first Budweiser, but I think it's time for a proper review.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a white one-finger head. There's an abnormal amount of carbonation flowing up toward the surface.

S: Not a whole lot going on in terms of smell. Faint hops and maybe some rice notes.

T: If I had to choose one word to describe this, it would be 'muted.' I would describe the initial taste is watery, with some faint malty notes to follow. Not the faintest hint of hops here. The rice that I detected from the nose doesn't come through, either.

M: Lacking. Might be like watered-down club soda.

D: It would be very easy to drink six of these in one sitting, but I don't know how much anyone would enjoy that.

07-28-2011 23:07:07 | More by schlimenhaumer
BarryMFBurton

1.88/5  rDev -19.3%

Man, won’t this be funny – reviewing Budweiser with the same critical eye as I do with every craft beer. Adjuncts, forced carbonation, and huge national ad campaigns; it’s pretty much everything that beer geeks are against. And what’s more, I’m pouring it into an Arrogant Bastard glass. Really, the irony is massive here. Alright, let’s get on with it; I don’t want to spend too much time on this one.

A: An ultra-pale, yellow body that has a decent amount of shine. The head is sudsy and stark white, thinly bubbled and fading fast. No lacing, and the bubbles coming from the bottom are few and far between. Greasy and sad-looking, as expected; the shine saves it from being an absolute strike-out.

S: You know, it’s not horrible. The main scent is a manufactured, stale grain, but its character manages to conjure up images of light fruits. That’s where the positives stop, though; from then on, it’s shoebox cardboard. I’m not getting a lot of vegetables, like I’ve been warned about, but it certainly isn’t great.

T: Oh god, I feel like I just licked the inside of a Ziploc bag. The plastic tastes are bigger than I even expected; lots of artificial elements. I do taste the vegetables here, and, yep – that’s corn. Damn, this is bad. The fruits I smelled earlier are nothing but dim afterthoughts now, but it makes sense when you have a beer that is meant to appeal to the masses. The more flavor there is, the more chances there are that people will not like it, right? Sad thinking. The aftertaste is equally as unpleasant, like I just ate part of a bad banana.

M: Watery, with a weak pop from the forced carbonation. It screams that it’s been manufactured with the minimum time and effort.

O: Well, I thought that this would be funny. It’s actually more sad than anything else. To think that this is one of the most popular beers in America, and that they actually make a LIGHT version of this…and it’s even MORE popular! Aaahhhh! I’m very happy to be in the minority there.

07-25-2011 20:41:45 | More by BarryMFBurton
jayhawk73

Maryland

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Pours a light yellow color w/ almost zero white head. The smell is that of corn, and slight malt. Very faint. Taste is very nondescript, w/ the corn flavor really coming out. Very water-like in consistency and flavor. Not sure why anybody who really enjoys tasting beer would drink this voluntarily. Feel is super thin, w/ an awful aftertaste, which thankfully goes away quickly. Overall, this is not a beer for anybody who really enjoys drinking beer. I'd rather drink water or iced tea if this is my only option.

07-24-2011 16:32:45 | More by jayhawk73