Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Bricelyn

Idaho

1.2/5  rDev -48.5%

Poured into a smallish mug out of a 40 oz bottle (couldn't get my self to buy a six pack of bottles or a sixer of cans)

Half a pinkies worth of head that disipated in nothing almost imediately, yellow pine sap for color.

Smells sweet and almost like canned sweet corn. No sharpness from hops or alchohol.

A sweet cornpops ( im laughing now) flavor. (refrain from bashing brew Refrain from bashing brew) ok now that I have gather my composure. this $2.25 brew leaves your mouth sticky and sweet not a bit of hops. Ends with a slight crispness on the back of your tounge and gives in to more of the sweet corn flavor.

Ok mouthfeel just not average its just ok.

I grabbed this beer with high hopes, I have never really had it before. It's my First brew of 2011 Hopefully the worst.

12-31-2010 15:14:18 | More by Bricelyn
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.13/5  rDev +34.3%

Per style
Straight from the bottle tastes sweet light malt don't pick up any corn but for the matter hops are missing as well . Smell is minimal sweet light malt. Overloaded on carbonation which is par for the style. Not a bad beer one of the macros ill enjoy freely but nothing exceptional .

12-30-2010 01:39:39 | More by sliverX
obrendano

Maryland

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

not abysmal by any means, but still not sure why, other than price, that this is the "King"

A - pee yellow, decent-ish head....feh

S - can pick out some hop flavor, which actually surprised me, but the slight hop note and moderate malt tone gets muted by that gross puke inducing "generic beer" smell I always smelled everywhere when I didn't drink at all

T - this is where it really drops down, initial hit of good crackery malt gives way to stale, watery disappointment. heavy cracker taste returns for the finish, thankfully. minimal hop flavor. again, not the worst I've ever tasted (Anchor Small Beer currently holds that spot), but it's easy to see why some choose to turn their noses up at this in favor of complexity and obscurity.

M - moderate to good, kinda smooth and very light, a little bubblier than most beers, obviously intentionally

D - no secret that this is meant to be drunk cheap and plentiful, which it succeeds in. reviewed this with a 24oz-er for about $2, and while it isn't the best taster, there's no reason not to just drink it and deal with it. still wouldn't break my neck for it

EDIT - this gets worse as it goes....wow...smh

12-28-2010 21:17:02 | More by obrendano
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

Ran out of homebrew, and this was available. I figured, let's pour this into a nice glass, and rate it! I knew it would not be rated well here, and kinda figured I wouldn't either... Let's see...

A: Clear. Pale Yellow. Had a fizzy white head 1cm tall that retained for seconds,descending to the tiniest wisp on the edge of the glass.

S: Here is where everything falls apart. I had just drunk a Belgian Strong Pale and a couple hoppy IPAs. What does this bring to the party? Um... A bit of sweet malt, maybe some vegetal. Nothing else.

T: More of the same. Sweet backbone, no discernible hop flavours (nor any of the beechwood filtering, I mean aging...). I found it surprisingly sweet. I guess this is whatthe distinctive taste of Bud is that 25% of Canadians seem to love. A bit of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp, strong carbonation that bites but causes the beer to finish cleanly.

D: Nah. Next time I shall reach for the bottle of red wine sitting there.

12-28-2010 04:12:36 | More by kjyost
larrytm56

Iowa

This is another beer to mow and play golf with. It is good for that at least. I usually have this in cans when i do have it and it tastes fine smells ok drinks well, and is cheap and easy to find. It is like the rest of these mass produced beers. I would not drink it again.

12-24-2010 20:25:09 | More by larrytm56
Slatetank

2.68/5  rDev +15%

I had this at the Crowne Plaza in Harrisburg during our office christmas party before most people arrived. Poured into a goblet from a 12oz.

The color is pale yellow w/ 1 1/2 fingers of sudsy white which settles to a compact ring. There is very small bead making up the head and retention is poor although the clarity is crystal.The smell has an adjunct aroma like rice cereal w/ a sweet nose but light aroma in general. The feel is very watery, light bodied with a high amount of carbonation w/ light sweetness and dry clean finish almost has a spice hint w/ light hopping but could just be the extra effervescence.

The taste of very light malt w/ slight rice sweetness and grainy quality begins the mild effect on the palate. The slight taste of pilsner malt is there, but overwhelmed by crisp rice taste so faint it almost is as if it isn't added for the taste. A pretty bland experience to me, overall just ok if no other better options are available -too light and thin for the style. It may work to quench or as a palate cleanser with greasy food, but it really is poor and lackluster drinkability + taste-wise.

12-22-2010 17:49:25 | More by Slatetank
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Straw yellow appearance with bubbly head that quickly disappears. Smell is almost non existent, picked up a sweet, corn smell.

Taste is similar, a bit sweet with a corn taste. Picked up bread hops. Very light bodied with lousy carbonation. Aftertaste is almost non existent, a bit dry.

Overall, extremely mediocre beer. When I began drinking beer, I started with this and stopped after trying other beers. It is drinkable, but what's the point when that's the only good feature?

12-21-2010 05:07:11 | More by CrazyMike
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Incredibly pale, a light, light golden colour. Has a bubbly head that goes very fast.

Sweet, it smells of corn & rice but is very bland. Hard to smell really.

The taste is very water like & bland, hardly any at all. Hints of bread and other grains.

Very thin bodied & watery. It is incredibly fizzy & not too smooth.

A very poor beer although it was drinkable.

Visit my beer blog: http://abarwithnoname.wordpress.com

12-18-2010 17:00:32 | More by flyingpig
anotherpg

1.43/5  rDev -38.6%

I traveled to the (now defunct) Jacksonville brewery to see if Bud got any better at the source. What's chilling is how perfectly the same the beer taste in bottle, can, tap, or at the brewery. It did not. If you've had this in a bottle or can, it's the same.

Pours a pale yellow, almost clear, with a bright white head. Smelled faintly of wood, the beech aging process, which covers over the rice and fillers that can be better tasted at room temperature. Drinks crisply if served, very very cold with the wood and base alcohol coming through. Barely there flavor does negatively contribute to drinkability but it tastes of fizzy water stirred with a wooden spoon.

Perfect if you've mowed your lawn and your fridge is empty.

12-11-2010 23:05:17 | More by anotherpg
IHC

This beer is the most american beer I can think of. I think comparing this to small craft beers is unfair because they are different things. Bud appeals to the masses and has to have a more bland taste. I think when compared to other big beer like coors or miller bud definitly comes in first on taste. I too like the born on date and think it should be an industry standard though I would like to know when they consider it born? Is it when they bottle or when its first fermenting?

Overall if you've never had one i'd say its your duty as an american if u are one to drink this beer at least once.

12-09-2010 18:15:31 | More by IHC
MoreThanWine

1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured a massive head of odd sized fizz which dissipated quickly and then disappeared. Straw yellow. Smell and taste are mild sweet grains including rice. Hints of sweet and sour. Not undrinkable just utterly boring.

I'll give it this -- at least it's substantially better than Bud Light. But hey, "King of Beers"? Where do they get that nerve?

12-08-2010 02:55:47 | More by MoreThanWine
WCBCFrank

1.53/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Budweiser pours crystal yellow, off white head that quickly disappears. I do not know what to say except, you should have one once in your life to remind you why brewers use real ingredients and pride in their products. This is default beer for beer ignorance.

12-08-2010 01:11:15 | More by WCBCFrank
ryanblinkbrand

3.45/5  rDev +48.1%

yeah it's mass marketed. it really doesnt look that great. smell is just below average. but man can you drink these. budweiser is what it is. it's not trying to impress anyone. it's just that beer, thay you and your friends are sharing pitchers of at the bar when 1am rolls around. couldn't think of a better beer to hoist in the air as neil diamond sings sweet caroline. budweiser isn't ground breaking, but it is good times and a way of american life.

12-06-2010 05:12:50 | More by ryanblinkbrand
Docer

Washington

3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

I won a small Budweiser mini fridge in a sweepstake, so I purchased a 6-pack of tall boys. Reviewing one... Born on date of 14SEP10

- Drinking right from the can, so I can't see much... though knowing it's a bubbly white head... clear straw yellow.. very standard looking light lager beer.

- Light grains, hardly a touch of any hop... light sweetness, bready.

- Light grain, slightly sweet... bready touch to it. The bitterness I feel comes more from the carbonation, not the use of hops.. though there may be a slight grassy bitter touch.

- Creamy texture, watery....

- Kind of a funky aftertaste... a little too light and almost a funky off fruity flavor... it's been years since I have had a bud... It's not horrible... but it's not that great either...

12-02-2010 03:23:19 | More by Docer
joelbb14

2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

I choose this beer as my first official review because of its undeniable place in American history. First, let me tell you a little about where I obtained the beer cited in this review. The Cedar Shack, a small bar on the outskirts of Amarillo. The kind of place that only gets busy when a cattle auction or the fair is in town. This is typically not somewhere someone like myself would enjoy a drink, but due to its proximity to my house it frequently is. You know the place, 2 pool tables, 2 small TV's, a few tables, and the jukebox only half-lit in the back corner. This is where I find myself, in front of me my usual order - one room temperature shot of tequilla no salt or lime (to be enjoyed later), and 1 mug of the great American Budweiser (because my only other option is bud or coors light), "and can I please get a glass that is not cold." This is where my review begins.

Appearence. Golden, very clear, and erupting with carbonation. A little like sprite with a few drops of yellow food coloring. Virtually no head, which in this case is the result of the pour. What little head there is dissipates slowly and leaves slight lacing on the mug.

Smell. Smalls like high school I guess. Its hard to pinpoint anything, but it smells like good old fashioned beer. Corn I guess, the lack of any hop scent is always so dissappointing to me.

Taste. Again, it tastes like "beer." Grainy flavor, corn is definately detectable. There is no hop flavor to it. I guess in two words I would say "minimally pleasing."

Mouthfeel. The unmanagable amount of carbonation it what really throws this beer off for me. I think my tounge undergoes some sort of mutation everytime I drink this beer. The carbonation is just too overpowering and detracts from the flavor, which may be a good thing.

Drinkability. With the exception of the carbonation, I could certainly enjor 3 or 4 of these before seriously questioning my motives. The beer is not good overall, but the watery aspect makes it very easy to consume this beer in massive flavorless quantities.

A beer in review:
Budweiser is and always has been a staple of the American lifestyle. That said, I do not like the beer. The only time I drink it anymore is between shifts when I know there is nothing in the fridge at home. Steer clear if possible, but if you find yourself in one of those hole-in-the-wall joints, give the classic a try. The tequilla you ask? It does a great job of clearing the Bud out of your mouth, and enough will actually make you forget that you ever subjected yourself to to this dissappointingly lame brew.

11-29-2010 06:50:48 | More by joelbb14
thegodfather2701

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

A-Pours a very, very pale yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipated slower than expected.

S-Somewhat musty, and very generic.

T-Tastes like a good adjunct lager. Its malty, but crisp and clean. Nothing offensive.

M-Thin and watery.

D-This is a beer you could drink mindlessly for hours.

Overall, for its style I think its hard to beat. It is much less musty and malty than others of the style which I think makes it much more enjoyable.

11-29-2010 02:08:07 | More by thegodfather2701
PapillonJohn

3.18/5  rDev +36.5%

Drank straight from can. 11/24/2010

Ok. I want to be the first to admit. Yes, Budweiser is really not a awesome beer or anything but I do feel it is very refreshing. I was out of everything but a 12 pack of Budweiser in cans.

Appearance: Cant really see into the can but from what I do remember pouring into a glass, its very, very, and I mean VERY light, pale yellow.

Smell: There is barely any smell but what I do get is a musty, fruity smell. Not too bad, also not too good.

Taste: Here is where I tend to disagree with people. I do think Budweiser tastes just fine. Of course its not exceptional or anything but it also doesnt make me gag either. On a hot summers day this would be very refreshing. Its very fruity from the can, also a bit bready, and i'm not noticing any metallic or offensive tastes. I'm finding it to be very refreshing after a day of drinking nothing but dark lagers.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. Watery as well. Like carbonated water with a tint of fruitiness and bread.

Drinkability: Could easily knock down a case of these quickly if you wanted to.

Like I said, not a beer conisseurs go to, but it's also not terrible.

11-25-2010 03:00:26 | More by PapillonJohn
soju6

Missouri

3.08/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have not had a real Bud in years. Had this in Muskogee, OK, as there was not much choice at the steak house. Drank from mason jar, real classy for here I guess.

A: Pours light golden color with a big foamy head that lasts quite well and some lacing.

S: faint malt and grain aroma. Not a lot going on here.

T: Mild malt and grain taste, slight sweetness with a clean finish.

F: Light body, quite smooth. Crisp & refreshing.

D: Nice beer for the style. Easy drinker, best when served cold. Not as bad as some people advocate. A least it is a real beer and not some watered down light beer.

11-20-2010 15:49:58 | More by soju6
majesticsock

1.5/5  rDev -35.6%

A few minutes ago, in a room not so far away...

Budweiser: The Mass Market Beer Strikes Back
Round V

It is a dark time for this beer drinker. Although the aluminum pint has been avoided, the Mass Market Beverage Empire have driven the micro brew forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the bar.

While forced to drink this dreaded watery beer tasting of corn and malt, a group of freedom fighters has established a new secret base within a backup pint glass, away from bland smells and torturous mouthfeels.

The Great American Lager, obsessed with destroying any other beer that does not look like urine, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space....

11-14-2010 23:13:33 | More by majesticsock
brewski09

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Needless to say, I am not a fan of Budweiser. The beer borders on exceptional in appearance, always clear and clean looking. That is the high point of this beer though. The aroma is sour. The taste is bland. The mouthfeel is like water and the beer to me is not to be classified as drinkable.

11-13-2010 15:54:34 | More by brewski09
mynie

Indiana

2.1/5  rDev -9.9%

My first review for Bud came at the beginning of my beer awakening, when like many early-20s beer people I took a reactionary stance against the big brands. Also, the Bud I drank really sucked.

But I've had it since, and it's not awful, so I decided to do a formal review of a bottled Bud. The bottle art--I'm sorry to say, as much as I don't like almost all of Anheuser's marketing--is classic. It's really, really hard for a label to look so simplistic while being so busy, having so many words.

The beer itself, however, does not look good. It's like sun-bleached straw.

Smells like a a yeasty adjunct. The yeast is more pronounced and pleasant than what you get out of Miller or Coors, but the adjunct isn't nice at all and the barley isn't enough to balance it.

Tastes just fine. I had this fresh at the brewery a few years ago and it tasted very good, actually, smooth as silk and almost explosively yeasty and believe it or not there was a little hop bitterness at the back end. It's impossible to expect brewery freshness, though, and this bottle wears its 62 days of age very conspicuously. It's sweet and grainy up front, very lightly bitter on the back. Not bad at all, but really not good.

What just about kills Bud, though--the reason it's a firm third behind Miller and Coors, imho--is that in spite of being so lightly flavored, it's really not all that drinkable. There is a time and a place for lawnmower beers. Ounce for ounce, I've probably drank more Grain Belt and Schlitz in the last year than I have all other beers combined. But Grain Belt and Schlitz (and Coors, and High Life, and Stroh's and PBR and Red Dog) all have more flavor than Bud, and even more importantly they aren't so damn sodapop fizzy, so they don't hurt my stomach when I drink them.

So, there. My last review was reactionary. This one is fair. It'd be damn dishonest to say this is anywhere near the worst beer in the world. But it's not very good, even for what it tries to be.

11-12-2010 03:20:33 | More by mynie
Beerbluesbiology

1.7/5  rDev -27%

Why the "King of Beers"? This is actually a quite poor beer. It smells like metallic, diluted corn/rice water. The taste is not much better. Way too much rice which compromises the taste (which there is little of). If you want a cheap beer in the "big 3" go with Miller High Life!

11-08-2010 04:45:48 | More by Beerbluesbiology
PDX2LA

1.43/5  rDev -38.6%

I understand that this is the king of beers and one of the best selling beers in the world. That being said, I did not really care for this beer. This beer was a little too light for my taste. There wasn't a lot of body. It had very little flavor. In fact, it just tasted like tap water. The alcohol was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking beer. With out a doubt, there are better beers out there. However, if someone were to offer me a bud, I wouldn't refuse. After all, that just wouldn't be good etiquette.

11-08-2010 00:44:47 | More by PDX2LA
Vashtar

3.98/5  rDev +70.8%

My first beers were primarily foreign beers. That is, I never paid much attention to American ones. When I tried Budweiser, I was very impressed. I Think a lot of people on this website might be rating Bud low because they are beer snobs and know they have to because they have a reputation to uphold.

11-01-2010 06:28:59 | More by Vashtar
HockeytownBrew

2.93/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Yellow straw color with an average size head that sticks around a bit. Minimal lacing left behind.

S: Very slight hints of malt and barley as well as grain. Not great by any means, but certainly not offensive. Just the usual adjunct lager.

T: See above. I also detected a bit of a fruity undertone, maybe apple.

M: Smooth with moderate carbonation. Light-medium mouthfeel, goes down smoothly.

D: This is a good, refreshing beer in terms of drinkability. Easy to have more than one of these.

Overall, a fair brew. Certainly doesn't live up to the name "The Great American Lager", but at the same time I don't think this deserves a horrible rating as given by some.

10-29-2010 03:59:36 | More by HockeytownBrew