Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

2.4/5  rDev +3%

A: A crystal clear pale straw color. A tall, white head bubbles up with a fairly dense, foamy texture. Retention is average, with a decent smattering of lace.

S: A sweet, vaguely adjuncty nose, with hints of corn and rice along with faint barley malt. Faint notes of metal and fruitiness.

T: A lightly malty sweetness up front. A few hints of corn and a dryness that comes unmistakably from rice, but flavor is pretty nondescript. A hint of the standard Bud green apple flavor is also available, with notes of metal and sulfur into the finish.

M: Light-bodied, with moderately active carbonation. Quite dry into the finish.

D: Pretty inoffensive, and as the dubious standard-bearer for American macros, it's pretty representative. Reasonably refreshing and mostly inoffensive, but this lacks character as well as flavor. I go back and forth on this one, but I'd take a High Life over this any day.

02-20-2010 01:32:09 | More by Clydesdale
DrDoitchbig

2.75/5  rDev +18%

Appearance: The usual straw yellow adjunct coloring. Bone white head that starts off at around one and a half fingers and sticks around as a decent cap throughout. There is actually a splotch of lacing here and there. Overall it's a tad better than it's brethren.

Smell: Primarily an adjunct corn smell with a metallic vat twang to it. There's also some generic malted barley in the background and that's about it.

Taste: The same for the most part. Fairly clean flavor when it's fresh out of the fridge. The metallic off flavors start to present themselves the longer the beer sits out. In addition to the corn and malted barley there is just the slightest flash of hops at the finish. It's not bitter so much as it is almost grassy.

Mouthfeel: Rampant, tongue prickling carbonation. I suppose carbonating it to this level may somehow deter the palate from picking up further off flavors? I don't quite understand why they force carbonate this to such an extreme level. Body is an inkling thicker than water.

Drinkability: Relatively unoffensive as long as you keep it as cold as possible. I think this may be one, if not thee, only case where I'd considering using a frosted glass. Continuing on there are certainly less off-flavors than I've experienced in some other adjuncts, particularly Miller.

Overall as I said it's pretty unoffensive, but really why bother when there are so many superior beer styles out there? I got this bottle for free, so I figured I'd review it.

02-19-2010 06:55:57 | More by DrDoitchbig
MrHassellYaHurd

Louisiana

Pours into a pilsner glass a clear pale yellow with a thick pure white head which quickly settles, releasing decent lacing, however.

The smell is dominated by adjuncts, with but a hint of barley. I cannot detect the hops by scent alone.

The taste is crisp, clean. Not the most complex beer in the world for sure, but tastes of rice, malty sweet grainy barley, as well as a tinge of spicy noble hops.

Extremely light-bodied with appropriate carbonation and inoffensive tastes make Bud a fairly drinkable beer.

I just wanted to add that I was very surprised at how un-horrible the king of beers really is when I take an objective look at it. Budweiser is certainly a shallow blonde, but believe me, you can do a lot worse at your local gas station.

02-19-2010 02:19:47 | More by MrHassellYaHurd
tykees88

Indiana

If I'm going to drink BMC its going to be Budweiser. It's the best of the big 3 and the most distinctive flavor wise. It truly does taste like a lager, and a little bit of wheat hops and malt comes through in there, but none of them stand out. Just a classic American working man's beer. For all of us on Ba, it's just something our friends drink.

02-16-2010 16:22:12 | More by tykees88
FreshHawk

2.42/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Normal for the style, light yellow. Head dies quickly.

S - Also normal for the style, metallic and some corn. Lacking.

T - Pretty typical for style. Light malt and mostly grainy and corny taste/sweetness. Not bad or offensive but not great.

M - Light bodied and high carbonation.

D - Could drink lots of them if you wanted to. But that's because it's light with not a lot of flavor.

Notes: Well pretty typical for the style, not great but not offensive at least. Ok as far as the style goes and has its situations which it would be drank at.

02-16-2010 00:06:42 | More by FreshHawk
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev +53.6%

Budweiser tends to grow on a person after repeated sampling. I would contend that A-B (InBev) puts out other products that are lower priced, but better. Bud has a common appearance, aroma, taste, mouth feel, etc., but Anheuser-Busch's fanatical quality control process guarantees that any Budweiser anywhere will be identical. A friend of mine, a loyal Bud drinker says, "When you drink one, you know you're drinking Budwieser." It is certainly distinctive.

RJT

02-15-2010 17:06:50 | More by RonaldTheriot
RyanBelle

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev +48.1%

For an American Macro lager, this one really does the trick. The beer is all about balance, as is other good Macro lagers. It's a tough world in the world of ML's, but the things a brewer needs to stand out just might be to alter the recipe a bit. Conventionally beer is made with barley right? So they took this one, put some rice in there instead and out came this really drinkable, tasty macro lager that has done the trick for many people mowing the lawn on a hot day. It's a cut above what one would usually drink on a hot day. Great session beer too.

02-15-2010 05:23:29 | More by RyanBelle
sjh772

3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

Budweiser 12 oz Bottle

A - Looks very light but for the average American Lager it fits the category

S - Smell is grainy, I can detect the rice used but cannot detect any hops

T - I actually Like the taste of Budweiser. The grainy malty taste along with the rice I find to be decent and for the price of a case of Budweiser, you can't go wrong!

M - Very carbonated goes down smooth but has a bad aftertaste

D - I can drink Budweiser all day if I wanted too. Very light and refreshing, crisp, very enjoyable on a hot summer day and for hanging out with some friends watching some sports.

02-15-2010 03:51:08 | More by sjh772
BeerPhan86

2.93/5  rDev +25.8%

A - Clear light gold with a two finger foamy white head.

S - Typical macro grain, rice, and alcohol aroma. Can't detect any hops.

T - Reminds me of a Pilsner but lighter and less flavorful. Refreshing and crisp lager, but not above average. Watery with some trace hops.

M - Very light and overcarbonated.

D - Sessionable American lager. No more no less.

Overall, one of the smoother American macros that does the trick on a budge t but does not fulfill my hophead needs.

02-13-2010 01:41:08 | More by BeerPhan86
chasebrownyeah1

2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Budweiser 40 oz. bottle

A: The appearance is of a typical light beer. Tranlucent with a yellow tint that looks average of a lighter beer.

S: The smell is relatively the same of it son... Bud Light. However, it has a little more of a stronger smell. Smells malty and kind of has a metallic scent to it.

T: Well, the taste isn't too appealing to me, but I enjoy it because it fits the budget. Taste of malts, little bit of hops and rice.

M: The mouthful wasnt impressive to me. The taste of the beer made the mouthful of the beer unappealing to me, but like I said before... It fits the budget.

D: I can drink a lot of this beer and I will. This beer isn't my ideal beer, but it's good for what it is.

02-13-2010 01:08:14 | More by chasebrownyeah1
Metalmonk

1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

I have Snorkapotamus to thank for this bottle...and only myself to blame for requesting it.

Back in my mid-teens I played in a covers band and remember jamming on Van Halen's "Unchained" while drinking Budweiser from the bottle, nabbed from a parental stash. The forbidden nature of the act made the beer taste better than it was. I thought it was kind of yucky, but it was beer, and just two bottles gave a 15-year-old one hellish buzz. I got used to it, and even thought Budweiser was "my beer." Until college, when I found imports like St. Pauli Girl and Newcastle. Fast-forward to 1995 or so and I'm introduced to Belgians and Sam Adams' Triple Bock (aka "That's BEER?"). My beer world finally began changing for the better. 15 years later, I feel the need to taste Budweiser again.

A: I don't have good experiences with beer this color. Super-duper filtering going on here, the liquid a sickly, pale piss-yellow. Head is a brilliant bone-white, but oddly it doesn't last long, breaking up into a crown quickly.

S: Aroma is mostly boiled corn, which certainly tastes awesome on a cob with butter and salt, but as a beer aroma? Not really. A sickly sweetness tries to push through, very Splenda/Nutrasweet.

T: For a second, there's something about the flavor that's quite nice, reminding of a standard Czech pils leaning toward that fun/gross sugary weirdness of a strong Euro lager. Make that a millisecond, because the flavor is paper-thin and lacks beery oomph of any sort, and then an insanely dry, crisp finish mops up whatever flavor does linger.

M: Super-tingly carbonation, and that's about it. The incredible crispness pretty much just wipes out every flavor and textural impression.

D: I still think Budweiser is yucky.

02-04-2010 23:58:01 | More by Metalmonk
DoubleJ

2.78/5  rDev +19.3%

I've put down lots of Budweiser over the last few years when I've been with friends at parties and dive bars. This sample is from a bottle I stole from a party last week, and now drinking in the comfort of my home. On to the beer:

Into a stange it goes, the beer is a very pale straw color. Big soapy head sits on top of it. Run of the mill head retention. The aroma is simple. A snap of sour green apple. Very clean nose.

This beer is taken from the "less is more" apporach to making macro lagers. There's a little flavor to make you keep drinking it, and thankfully it's not spit out awful. Green apple flavor is the most noticable note. A trace of grain towards the end makes me think of Frito's corn chips for some reason. It is crisp and clean and light in the mouth. A touch too light with a touch more carbonation than prefered.

Very easy to drink, though I'll admit my taste buds begin to get bored after 3 or 4. Not nasty like some adjunct lagers, and it's a good "warm up" beer...in fact, I have a Black Butte XXI waiting in the wings.

01-31-2010 05:18:18 | More by DoubleJ
h00dak

2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Bud Light's more mature and muscular big brother. Too bad they both share the same inbred bloodline.

The fact that this is better than Bud Light means almost nothing. This beer is an American standby. People dont drink it because it is good. They drink it because the guys in the commercials drink it.

A plus is the 5%ABV so you dont have to drink too many before you stop tasting them.

Avoid.

01-30-2010 19:46:01 | More by h00dak
mtnbikerpa

2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a 24 ounce can with born on date of August 09. Would this have been best within 110 probably not. Clear golden straw color. Scent of fresh cut grass. Basic lager flavor one that I have known for years. So for that I give Bud props same taste can, bottle or tap. Other than that no special yeast, or hops flavors. Drinkable nature is great, goes down easy till you get a headache next day.

01-29-2010 19:16:55 | More by mtnbikerpa
MOB210SA

1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

I knew the time would come when I had to start reviewing the "bad beers". Which I do consider most of these macros just plain BAD. Well by chance I just realized Im doing Bud first, which is a good starting point.

From a can?? Yup, 2 finger fizzley, light, airy pale white head. Died to a 1 finger extremly fast. No retention, or any lacing. Just the color of this beer even looks water-downed. Its a pale unimpressive light yellow, and bland looking.

There is just really nothing to it. Only a light corn and wheatiness is coming through (or at least that I can detect.)

Its been some good months since Ive had any of these beers and wow has my taste changed. Budweiser was never my favorite at any time, but I used to think this was alright. Now, I really think this just tastes gross. Even it being more flavorful than BL it is still just bland corny and has a dirty metallic can taste. I really had to force this down.

As with everything else the mouthfeel is still in the "watery" catagory. Its too light and from the pour I guess, unusually flatter than I remember. Guess its not meant to be poured from a can? I would have on tap if there was nothing else, but never from a can again (Though I have had 1,000s) haha. I would def. get Shiner, Sam Adams, practically anything over Budweiser. Either way avoid this mega-giant sponsored beer, there is so much great beer out there, and this is far from one. "King of Beers" ?? Makes me laugh.

01-28-2010 19:19:57 | More by MOB210SA
Maltoftheearth

1.68/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Light yellow color. Crystal clear. Zero head.

S: Smell of slight grain, but nothing really there.

T: Watery pilsner taste. Trace amounts of hop flavor. Some graininess that you won't find in the light version.

D: Ok it's a light American tasteless beer, but you can drink them rather easily if you must. It's drinkable.

Like it or not it's an American staple. For the record, many people in Europe drink this trash as well. It meets a need. That need is not flavor. It's smooth and that's about it.

01-25-2010 00:45:42 | More by Maltoftheearth
david18

2.28/5  rDev -2.1%

I end up having this beer sometimes at bars where the only choice is Budweiser, Heineken and Stella and the budweiser is the cheapest of the bunch. It is not a good beer but I have to say it isn't totally terrible. It does have a definite pilsner character about it and if you're already resigned to bad beer, I say go ahead and try one.

01-24-2010 19:25:37 | More by david18
Vixie

Poured a very light yellow with a lrge white head that dissipated after a few minutes.

The smell was on the sweet side, seemed to have a bit of a hay or grassy smell as well.

As for taste, not much at all. Came across as very watered down. Basically water with a little beer flavoring added.

Not much feel, prett much similar to carbonated water.

It had been a long time since I last tried Bud, and I have became much more educated on beer since then. I was amazed at how listless this was compared to the really good beers I have had. Not what I'd describe as terrible, but just bland. Nothing stood out at all. Strictly for those who have no clue what a good beer is.

01-24-2010 02:07:47 | More by Vixie
josiahschlender

Oregon

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Had a few cans laying around after a friend brought over a case. I think I've only bought Bud once, and that was a forty for a white trash night.

Pours in a pint glass from the can a very pale straw yellow. Completely transparent. One of the lightest color beers I've ever seen. Moderate clear foam dissipates quickly, leaving no foam. Speaking of the can, A-B's grandiose self-promotion on their products have always bugged me. A beer that speaks for itself garners more respect from me than one that shouts at me from its label how great it is.

I detect some mild lagery malts and more noticable hay-like hop aromas. Nothing very intense, hard to describe, but easy to recognize mediocre beer smell.

Flavors are mild, barely-there malt sweetness, with a little bit of hop bittering at the end. Maybe something there that tastes artificial. Very light in body that is pretty refreshing and cleansing when it's cold. However, this beer loses all appeal with just a few degrees more than refrigerator temps.

Not like it induces a gag reflex or anything, but there are so few characteristics of this beer to bring me back that I'll pass until the next one comes along for free. I'd rather pay much less for a better beer in PBR. Or drink just a great lager with Full Sail's Session Lager.

01-20-2010 22:16:11 | More by josiahschlender
alleykatking

3.1/5  rDev +33%

Found a couple bucks lying on the ground after work so I split a pitcher with my assistant manager last night.

A- Pours a clear pale golden yellow color. One and a half finger white head comes and goes rather quickly. No lacing on the glass at all. Can tell it's carbonated but it looks like a flat beer.

S- I get some sweetness in the front of this beer. Corn and rice are the next things I can pick up on. There is a sweetness to the alcohol aroma in this as well. Some cooked veggie smell as well.

T- This is not as bad as I remembered it being. Not that the taste was outstanding by any means just better than I remember. Light bitter upfront on this...this last for a split second before going into a sweetness the rest of the way through. Cooked veggie taste in the middle along with some adjunct corn and rice taste. Light bitterness in the backend of this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style but too much for me. Fizzy water feel in the mouth. Sweetness all around is left on the palate and in the aftertaste.

D- This has great drinkability. A low enough ABV makes this a very sessionable beer. I didn't mind the couple glasses I had of it but I wouldn't buy it as a regular. Favorite out of the big three. Would still rather just have a PBR if given the choice out of the style.

01-20-2010 14:13:17 | More by alleykatking
MbpBugeye

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Every old school man has "his beer". This has always been my dad's so I thought it deserved a review. Besides its probably the most iconic of the American macros.

24oz tall boy poured into my new New Glarus pilsner. I can think of many better uses for this awesome glass but I just wanna put some miles on this piece. Thanks again FrankenBrew!

A- Pours a bright clear urine yellow. The head fizzes up loudly on the pour but goes away in the blink of an eye. Once everything settles there is no activity. Not even any bubbles floating on top. You could never tell if this is a fresh beer or a flat one.

S- The smell is apparent as soon as the can is cracked. Corn and malt sweetness are the first you notice. I marked the smell a bit higher because unlike others of this style there is the hint of hops. The nose is slightly more balanced. It begins to smell like a real beer.

T- The hops might have been just a figment of my imagination. The taste is corny and tinny. Real sugary and sweet.

M- Thin as water. Low carbonation. Dry finish. The dry finish isnt really what I expected in a beer like this.

D- Hardly any alcohol. Hardly any flavor. Hardly any body. Whats not drinkable about it?

01-20-2010 07:13:40 | More by MbpBugeye
thedrewski86

3.1/5  rDev +33%

Poured into a pint glass. This leaves 1/2" of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Golden color with astounding clarity. Not much smell, a little bit of yeast, mostly rice. Taste is a perfectly clean traditional American lager. What I think sets Bud apart from others is the huge banana taste I get from it. I think it's interesting that more people don't comment on that, it seems so blatantly clear to me. Comes from that very present yeast character I guess. Feels a bit over-carbonated but drinkability is certainly fine. This and Coors Original are my two go-tos when I want a cheap American lager beer on hand. After this case though I think I'll go back to Coors, that's just a little better in my opinion.

01-19-2010 02:55:25 | More by thedrewski86
erz316

on tap into pint glass

its amazing how consistent they make these beers. truly remarkable. the whole shtick is the same: lousy head retention, poor nose (no smell really whatsoever), feel is like seltzer, the d-bility is for frat bros only. the colour is perhaps a bit more golden, but not so much that I remember a distinct difference.

01-18-2010 23:27:19 | More by erz316
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

2.28/5  rDev -2.1%

500 mL can poured into a pint glass.

A: pale yellow brew sitting underneath a thick, foamy white head.

S: there's a very unpleasant undertone to this and I can't quite place what it is--just a general sour smell (but not in a good way)

T: I'll admit it's better from a can than from the bottle, but that's not saying a lot. There's a very artificial taste in the finish--perhaps from the rice?

D: won't be seeking this out, but I had to give it a fair chance and review it. :)

01-18-2010 22:23:54 | More by fullsweep
kdawg105

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

It is a true american beer with a rich yellow color and a great taste. You can really taste the hops which some would disagree but hey that is an opinion right? Anyway the smell is above average the taste is good and the mouthfeel is pretty good also. Drinkability is defintley good is a smooth beer with a nice abv%. Like I say it is a true american beer.

01-18-2010 06:43:51 | More by kdawg105