Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -38.6%

A- see through. very light yellow with white head. not impressive by any means, but what you would expect from these big brew light pilsners.
Smell- smells of nothing special. grassy and bland. i would confidently characterize this as sub-par.
Taste- what taste? its water with a drop of urine. its terrible ONLY because there is nothing to it. a tad bitter, but doubtedly from hops, probally just because its a bad beer. Definitly not a good hoppy-bitter, but a bitter-bitter.
MF- light. no bodied.
Drinkability- i dont even find it as drinkable as u would expect a watered down light beer to be. its not that its heavy or has any unique blast of flavor, its simply not a good taste, and not a good beer to drink. thats my opinion anyways. like i always say, once you cross the sacred river over to the land of craft brew, you must leave this beer behind.

HopsNPot, Jan 11, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Can into pint glass

Appearance: Ah yes, here it is: the king of beers. Well, it doesn't look like the king of beers. There was something like a foam that formed when I poured this beer, but then it dissipated into nothingness. There isn't even lacing around the top to make this beer look like beer. Basically, I've got yellow soda water.

Smell: Light to non-existant scent. Not really sure what it is that I'm smelling. I can't rate this lower than a 2 because there is nothing to hate, because there is no scent. I'm beginning to wonder if I should even finish this review. I'm having second thoughts on even trying this beer.

Taste: Crisp upfront with some strange zinging bitterness that I can't really attest to hops. Ends a little dry. Needs an actual flavor profile. Almost no actual flavor to explore. This is one of the most boring beers I've ever had.

Drinkability: I can't stomach this beer; not just because I'm a beer snob, I'll at least admit to that, but because this beer has nothing to it. This is a beer you'd drink if all you wanted was to "get drunk".

wmtxbb, Jan 10, 2011

Poured from a can into a 12 oz glass.

It lathers up like most other beers, and the foam disappears pretty quickly, leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

Color was your average yellow - not as yellow as a Corona would be, perhaps a hint of brown.

Smelled like pretty much nothing, and the taste is similar to that of seltzer water. Mouthfeel was okay, the carbonation is mostly weak so you can take down a nice gulp or two at a time.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get these, though. I'd take a Sam Adams or Heineken over these anyday, but they're good for a cheap grab.

CoffeeKaioken, Jan 10, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

Poured from a can brewed a couple weeks ago. Transparent color with a slight white head which quickly dissipates to some lacing. Carbonation is steady. It's really a beautiful bright and golden pour, every single time.

Aroma is grainy, some corn and malt sweetness, a little warmth from the beechwood chips, and a tiny hint of hops. The rice makes it go down smooth. It's not bitter or skunky, not too sweet, nicely crisp with more complex flavors then I expected that developed after it warmed a bit in the glass.

I like the mouthfeel. It's not thick at all but very liquidity and smooth. Refreshing. This is my favorite beer to have with rich, buttery, meaty American, German and Polish food, especially with Polish sausage and perogies.

I would never turn down a Budweiser, I just wish it was a little cheaper. I love the iconic can labeling too. If I was about a $8-$10 per twelve pack I would buy it over any other lager. If a bar has it for $2 on tap, which most around here do, I'll get with a meal. It beats Pabst, Miller and Coors, and the Czech Budvar hands down. It's fresh from the tap.

Of course Budweiser is the beer that's cool to hate among people here who compare it against completely different styles of richer, darker, hoppy micro-brews beers. But I love it and I'm not afraid to admit that's it's a fine, well made and consistently refreshing brew.

ch473, Jan 06, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Most likely the second most consumed beer in the USA, but must be because of the amount of exposure it receives in advertising. Two finger head of white froth, with no lasting power. Lace has some cling, but not for long. Color matches a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells of corn, wheat, and barley. Taste is muted cereal grains with a sweet aftertaste. Water in my mouth. Good for yard work, is refreshing, but not much more flavor than water, just more kick.

beerprovedwright, Jan 03, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -27.9%

A- pale clear yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles, foamy head that quickly fades and leaves no lace.

S- stale crackers, biscuit, corn, musty hops, but mostly water

T- Follows the nose, water and crackers, corn and musty rank, metallic notes

M- Thin, watery, crisp, highly carbonated

D- Watery, lacking in flavor, rank musty. Hard to drink.

JayS2629, Jan 03, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Piss yellow, no head.

S- Not alot of smell. Can slightly smell hops.

T- Taste like crackers. Don't know why it's the king of beers.

M- Slightly water, and lots of carbonation to hide the taste.

D- Can easily buy a 12 pack and drink the whole thing. Cheap beer more for parties.

marcusR111, Jan 03, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

A - A milky yellow color, depending on the pour, thick head, that last a little while.

S - A hint of hops, but that is taken away with a few sips here and there while noticing the "Cheep" beer taste.

T - It varies, at first you get a hint of a malt taste, after that settles in your mouth you get the "cheep beer" watered down taste. In a sense, it tricks you at first, but after that mask is taken off, you're left with a cheep beer taste.

M - Moderate to high carbonation, some what pleasant feel.

D - If you're looking to get a quick drink, of nothing special at about $3.00-4.50 you can get a 40oz of this cheep beer. It's nothing I would consider as a top 10, a top 15 even, but at the same time, it's beer.

Distilled10, Jan 02, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -48.5%

Poured into a smallish mug out of a 40 oz bottle (couldn't get my self to buy a six pack of bottles or a sixer of cans)

Half a pinkies worth of head that disipated in nothing almost imediately, yellow pine sap for color.

Smells sweet and almost like canned sweet corn. No sharpness from hops or alchohol.

A sweet cornpops ( im laughing now) flavor. (refrain from bashing brew Refrain from bashing brew) ok now that I have gather my composure. this $2.25 brew leaves your mouth sticky and sweet not a bit of hops. Ends with a slight crispness on the back of your tounge and gives in to more of the sweet corn flavor.

Ok mouthfeel just not average its just ok.

I grabbed this beer with high hopes, I have never really had it before. It's my First brew of 2011 Hopefully the worst.

Bricelyn, Dec 31, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +34.3%

Per style
Straight from the bottle tastes sweet light malt don't pick up any corn but for the matter hops are missing as well . Smell is minimal sweet light malt. Overloaded on carbonation which is par for the style. Not a bad beer one of the macros ill enjoy freely but nothing exceptional .

sliverX, Dec 30, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

not abysmal by any means, but still not sure why, other than price, that this is the "King"

A - pee yellow, decent-ish head....feh

S - can pick out some hop flavor, which actually surprised me, but the slight hop note and moderate malt tone gets muted by that gross puke inducing "generic beer" smell I always smelled everywhere when I didn't drink at all

T - this is where it really drops down, initial hit of good crackery malt gives way to stale, watery disappointment. heavy cracker taste returns for the finish, thankfully. minimal hop flavor. again, not the worst I've ever tasted (Anchor Small Beer currently holds that spot), but it's easy to see why some choose to turn their noses up at this in favor of complexity and obscurity.

M - moderate to good, kinda smooth and very light, a little bubblier than most beers, obviously intentionally

D - no secret that this is meant to be drunk cheap and plentiful, which it succeeds in. reviewed this with a 24oz-er for about $2, and while it isn't the best taster, there's no reason not to just drink it and deal with it. still wouldn't break my neck for it

EDIT - this gets worse as it goes....wow...smh

obrendano, Dec 28, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

Ran out of homebrew, and this was available. I figured, let's pour this into a nice glass, and rate it! I knew it would not be rated well here, and kinda figured I wouldn't either... Let's see...

A: Clear. Pale Yellow. Had a fizzy white head 1cm tall that retained for seconds,descending to the tiniest wisp on the edge of the glass.

S: Here is where everything falls apart. I had just drunk a Belgian Strong Pale and a couple hoppy IPAs. What does this bring to the party? Um... A bit of sweet malt, maybe some vegetal. Nothing else.

T: More of the same. Sweet backbone, no discernible hop flavours (nor any of the beechwood filtering, I mean aging...). I found it surprisingly sweet. I guess this is whatthe distinctive taste of Bud is that 25% of Canadians seem to love. A bit of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp, strong carbonation that bites but causes the beer to finish cleanly.

D: Nah. Next time I shall reach for the bottle of red wine sitting there.

kjyost, Dec 28, 2010

This is another beer to mow and play golf with. It is good for that at least. I usually have this in cans when i do have it and it tastes fine smells ok drinks well, and is cheap and easy to find. It is like the rest of these mass produced beers. I would not drink it again.

larrytm56, Dec 24, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +15%

I had this at the Crowne Plaza in Harrisburg during our office christmas party before most people arrived. Poured into a goblet from a 12oz.

The color is pale yellow w/ 1 1/2 fingers of sudsy white which settles to a compact ring. There is very small bead making up the head and retention is poor although the clarity is crystal.The smell has an adjunct aroma like rice cereal w/ a sweet nose but light aroma in general. The feel is very watery, light bodied with a high amount of carbonation w/ light sweetness and dry clean finish almost has a spice hint w/ light hopping but could just be the extra effervescence.

The taste of very light malt w/ slight rice sweetness and grainy quality begins the mild effect on the palate. The slight taste of pilsner malt is there, but overwhelmed by crisp rice taste so faint it almost is as if it isn't added for the taste. A pretty bland experience to me, overall just ok if no other better options are available -too light and thin for the style. It may work to quench or as a palate cleanser with greasy food, but it really is poor and lackluster drinkability + taste-wise.

Slatetank, Dec 22, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Straw yellow appearance with bubbly head that quickly disappears. Smell is almost non existent, picked up a sweet, corn smell.

Taste is similar, a bit sweet with a corn taste. Picked up bread hops. Very light bodied with lousy carbonation. Aftertaste is almost non existent, a bit dry.

Overall, extremely mediocre beer. When I began drinking beer, I started with this and stopped after trying other beers. It is drinkable, but what's the point when that's the only good feature?

CrazyMike, Dec 21, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Incredibly pale, a light, light golden colour. Has a bubbly head that goes very fast.

Sweet, it smells of corn & rice but is very bland. Hard to smell really.

The taste is very water like & bland, hardly any at all. Hints of bread and other grains.

Very thin bodied & watery. It is incredibly fizzy & not too smooth.

A very poor beer although it was drinkable.

Visit my beer blog: http://abarwithnoname.wordpress.com

flyingpig, Dec 18, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -38.6%

I traveled to the (now defunct) Jacksonville brewery to see if Bud got any better at the source. What's chilling is how perfectly the same the beer taste in bottle, can, tap, or at the brewery. It did not. If you've had this in a bottle or can, it's the same.

Pours a pale yellow, almost clear, with a bright white head. Smelled faintly of wood, the beech aging process, which covers over the rice and fillers that can be better tasted at room temperature. Drinks crisply if served, very very cold with the wood and base alcohol coming through. Barely there flavor does negatively contribute to drinkability but it tastes of fizzy water stirred with a wooden spoon.

Perfect if you've mowed your lawn and your fridge is empty.

anotherpg, Dec 11, 2010

This beer is the most american beer I can think of. I think comparing this to small craft beers is unfair because they are different things. Bud appeals to the masses and has to have a more bland taste. I think when compared to other big beer like coors or miller bud definitly comes in first on taste. I too like the born on date and think it should be an industry standard though I would like to know when they consider it born? Is it when they bottle or when its first fermenting?

Overall if you've never had one i'd say its your duty as an american if u are one to drink this beer at least once.

IHC, Dec 09, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured a massive head of odd sized fizz which dissipated quickly and then disappeared. Straw yellow. Smell and taste are mild sweet grains including rice. Hints of sweet and sour. Not undrinkable just utterly boring.

I'll give it this -- at least it's substantially better than Bud Light. But hey, "King of Beers"? Where do they get that nerve?

MoreThanWine, Dec 08, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Budweiser pours crystal yellow, off white head that quickly disappears. I do not know what to say except, you should have one once in your life to remind you why brewers use real ingredients and pride in their products. This is default beer for beer ignorance.

WCBCFrank, Dec 08, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +48.1%

yeah it's mass marketed. it really doesnt look that great. smell is just below average. but man can you drink these. budweiser is what it is. it's not trying to impress anyone. it's just that beer, thay you and your friends are sharing pitchers of at the bar when 1am rolls around. couldn't think of a better beer to hoist in the air as neil diamond sings sweet caroline. budweiser isn't ground breaking, but it is good times and a way of american life.

ryanblinkbrand, Dec 06, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

I won a small Budweiser mini fridge in a sweepstake, so I purchased a 6-pack of tall boys. Reviewing one... Born on date of 14SEP10

- Drinking right from the can, so I can't see much... though knowing it's a bubbly white head... clear straw yellow.. very standard looking light lager beer.

- Light grains, hardly a touch of any hop... light sweetness, bready.

- Light grain, slightly sweet... bready touch to it. The bitterness I feel comes more from the carbonation, not the use of hops.. though there may be a slight grassy bitter touch.

- Creamy texture, watery....

- Kind of a funky aftertaste... a little too light and almost a funky off fruity flavor... it's been years since I have had a bud... It's not horrible... but it's not that great either...

Docer, Dec 02, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

I choose this beer as my first official review because of its undeniable place in American history. First, let me tell you a little about where I obtained the beer cited in this review. The Cedar Shack, a small bar on the outskirts of Amarillo. The kind of place that only gets busy when a cattle auction or the fair is in town. This is typically not somewhere someone like myself would enjoy a drink, but due to its proximity to my house it frequently is. You know the place, 2 pool tables, 2 small TV's, a few tables, and the jukebox only half-lit in the back corner. This is where I find myself, in front of me my usual order - one room temperature shot of tequilla no salt or lime (to be enjoyed later), and 1 mug of the great American Budweiser (because my only other option is bud or coors light), "and can I please get a glass that is not cold." This is where my review begins.

Appearence. Golden, very clear, and erupting with carbonation. A little like sprite with a few drops of yellow food coloring. Virtually no head, which in this case is the result of the pour. What little head there is dissipates slowly and leaves slight lacing on the mug.

Smell. Smalls like high school I guess. Its hard to pinpoint anything, but it smells like good old fashioned beer. Corn I guess, the lack of any hop scent is always so dissappointing to me.

Taste. Again, it tastes like "beer." Grainy flavor, corn is definately detectable. There is no hop flavor to it. I guess in two words I would say "minimally pleasing."

Mouthfeel. The unmanagable amount of carbonation it what really throws this beer off for me. I think my tounge undergoes some sort of mutation everytime I drink this beer. The carbonation is just too overpowering and detracts from the flavor, which may be a good thing.

Drinkability. With the exception of the carbonation, I could certainly enjor 3 or 4 of these before seriously questioning my motives. The beer is not good overall, but the watery aspect makes it very easy to consume this beer in massive flavorless quantities.

A beer in review:
Budweiser is and always has been a staple of the American lifestyle. That said, I do not like the beer. The only time I drink it anymore is between shifts when I know there is nothing in the fridge at home. Steer clear if possible, but if you find yourself in one of those hole-in-the-wall joints, give the classic a try. The tequilla you ask? It does a great job of clearing the Bud out of your mouth, and enough will actually make you forget that you ever subjected yourself to to this dissappointingly lame brew.

joelbb14, Nov 29, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

A-Pours a very, very pale yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipated slower than expected.

S-Somewhat musty, and very generic.

T-Tastes like a good adjunct lager. Its malty, but crisp and clean. Nothing offensive.

M-Thin and watery.

D-This is a beer you could drink mindlessly for hours.

Overall, for its style I think its hard to beat. It is much less musty and malty than others of the style which I think makes it much more enjoyable.

thegodfather2701, Nov 29, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +36.5%

Drank straight from can. 11/24/2010

Ok. I want to be the first to admit. Yes, Budweiser is really not a awesome beer or anything but I do feel it is very refreshing. I was out of everything but a 12 pack of Budweiser in cans.

Appearance: Cant really see into the can but from what I do remember pouring into a glass, its very, very, and I mean VERY light, pale yellow.

Smell: There is barely any smell but what I do get is a musty, fruity smell. Not too bad, also not too good.

Taste: Here is where I tend to disagree with people. I do think Budweiser tastes just fine. Of course its not exceptional or anything but it also doesnt make me gag either. On a hot summers day this would be very refreshing. Its very fruity from the can, also a bit bready, and i'm not noticing any metallic or offensive tastes. I'm finding it to be very refreshing after a day of drinking nothing but dark lagers.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. Watery as well. Like carbonated water with a tint of fruitiness and bread.

Drinkability: Could easily knock down a case of these quickly if you wanted to.

Like I said, not a beer conisseurs go to, but it's also not terrible.

PapillonJohn, Nov 25, 2010