Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
kballer

3.2/5  rDev +37.3%

I will take a Bud over a MDG anytime. Otherwise this is not a beer to get. If I just want to get hammered there's cheaper alternatives that I prefer.

very pale.

smell is the worst part. It's got a faint metallic smell.

Taste is pretty good. I think the rice is a pretty good adjunct, 10x better than the corn taste.

thin mouthfeel

i could down a lot of these.

06-20-2009 04:02:14 | More by kballer
bill93063

New Hampshire

1.18/5  rDev -49.4%

I drank Bud for the first time in the early 80's and my reaction was pretty simply, if this is what beer tastes like then I do not like it! Thank God for imports and microbrews which introduced me to real beer. The flavor notes are bitter and rotten and that is about the best I can say for it. The aftertaste is simply awful with no redeeming characteristics other than poor flavor. How on earth Anheiser Busch sells millions of gallons of this garbage every year is beyond me, it aint' even that cheap!

06-19-2009 17:36:52 | More by bill93063
projectflam86

2.73/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Pours a clear light golden color with a thin white foam that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

S- Not much in the aroma department but there are some light toasted cereal scents with green apples and cooked corn.

T- Ultra light taste of grain and adjuncts. A sour apple bitter finish. No hops or malt can be detected.

M- Crisp and light with ok carbonation.

D- It is what it is. Easily drinkable with a bland flavor. Not something I will be picking up often.

06-18-2009 23:59:01 | More by projectflam86
Wegbier

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

Oh, budweiser you baffel me. Did you steal this name from the proud Czech people? Are you a symbol of commitment to quality for so many years when any self-respecting German or Czech would rather use you to wash out a bed pan?
It is it a stretch to call yourself a proud pilsner when the ingredients are not up to the purity law of beer and the color is such a sad thin light straw. A proud pils would smell of great hops and taste of great hops, I know I know you tell me over and over of you great journey from Hallertau, you look almost sick Gesundheit! Dont be mad you know we had to talk sometime, you seem mad with such an awful bite of blasting carbonation. Sure we could hang out more often you nine or ten of your friends and me but I would really like to see other beers, more authentic ones. I just mean I think you need some time to work on your personality and add some depth to yourself, life is not just nascar bitches and beerpong your know.

dont spend your own hard earned money on this mass-marketed product.

06-18-2009 04:54:31 | More by Wegbier
Vito

3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

Budweiser, the King of Beers.

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 12. oz. glass. It looks good, makes me want to drink it.

Smells: Smells pretty good, like the snack bar at a baseball stadium.

Taste: Smooth tasting, with a snap. Some people call it a "bite". Bland, almost tasteless, completely average.

Mouthfeel: It needs more carbonation, or something.

Drinkability: A little better than average, but not much. Budweiser has a good "kick" and it will give you a good buzz. Otherwise, no big deal.

Overall: Overhyped, and overpriced when compared to the competiton -- especially Miller High Life and Old Milwaukee. King of Beers? Maybe, but probably not.

06-09-2009 03:36:01 | More by Vito
natelocc787

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%

We have all had Budweiser before.

There is nothing new to write about.

We all know what it tastes like. It tastes like a carbonated malt beverage with a smidgen of malt and hop flavor. Very grainy and ricey. Poorly done.

Mouthfeel is crisp and overly carbonated. Very light, thin and drinkable.

It's funny. If I began my beer drinking with craft beers and someone suggested I try this, I would probably say yuck like my friends do when they first try a good beer like a stout or bock.

Great beer to throw down on a hot day though.

06-08-2009 19:30:05 | More by natelocc787
bsp77

2.78/5  rDev +19.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup (on the golf course).

Appearance: Pale yellow, minimal head, but very, very active. Why do so many Adjunct Lagers look kind of like piss; true Pilsners don't.

Smell: Light grain and light hops. Fairly faint smell.

Taste: Crisp and clean. Relatively dry malt and light (but fairly nice) hop balance, especially at the end. Not as sweet or corn-like as other Adjunct Lagers.

Feel: Fizzy, fizzy, fizzy. Way too overcarbonated. Light to medium body.

Drinkability: Refreshing and easy to slam, but would rather have so many other beers.

06-08-2009 03:53:28 | More by bsp77
CHickman

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured yellow with a 1/4 inch white head and smelled of malt and wheat. Very light and crisp with carbonation on the heavy side; while this beer has always gone down smooth, it still will never be anything but average in taste...and average is being generous.

The label states it's made with hops, rice and barley malt, so I guess the rice takes over as there is only a hint of malt in each sip. It's dull to me and feels like drinking a watered down beer after indulging in IPA's, stouts and Belgians for the past few years. Too bland for my liking, although the masses enjoy it.

06-07-2009 01:49:20 | More by CHickman
birdypowder

Oregon

2.9/5  rDev +24.5%

Read my review on Bud Light, that first paragraph applies to Budweiser as well.

Aroma:
Hints, or maybe...essence of corn is more fitting. Apples...acetaldehyde? (Yes that's spelled correctly).

Appearance:
Big white head that quickly slinks away into a thin white veneer coating the top of the beer. Bright pale straw color, a touch darker than Bud Light?

Taste:
Very slight sweetness which comes across as corn when your nose picks up the aroma. Grainy with no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Lively carbonation attacks my tongue. Appropriately thin bodied.

06-02-2009 22:52:21 | More by birdypowder
Bigfatbino

2.78/5  rDev +19.3%

A = Pale gold in the glass, steady carbonation bubbles, 1 inch head, and left some, but not much lacing in the glass

S = grain, some corn, a little alcohol, and the faint smell of hops. It's like someone took a really good beer, and just watered it down in the "smell" department.

T = thin, watery, not much there really. Essentially it tastes like it smells, watered down, very little hops, and is more sweet than anything else brew-wise.

M = Ok, not too shabby here. Nice and bubbly on the tongue, but not quite as aggressive as a soda. It's a little more mellow. The tingle is the best feature of it, other than that, not much to write home (or the billions and billions of internet users) about.

D = These I could slug back wholesale. It is my favorite "drunken softball playing" drink. I'll take one in the absence of any real beer.

06-01-2009 05:21:11 | More by Bigfatbino
LordAdmNelson

2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

A- Pours a clear golden color common to the adjuncts. A little head with short retention and no lacing.

S- Kind of sweet with big corn aroma. Slight hop there too, but just a hint.

T- Not bad--good flavor for what it is. Corn, light hop, faint syrupy sweetness to it actually. Still light bodied and refreshing. Nothing special or mind blowing, but I prefer this one to most other macros.

M- Like a soda, light and carbonated. Crisp and clean.

D- Great beer for sporting events, meals, or other times for general enjoyment. Definitely a classic.

05-30-2009 02:53:46 | More by LordAdmNelson
civilizedpsycho

Appearance: Golden transparency with absolutely no head.

Smell: I am still learning to identify the type of smell in adjunct lagers, but it reminded me of corn.

Taste: A little bit of corn and quite a bit of water. It does have a bit of a kick at the end of a drink, though.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, not very carbonated.

Drinkability: It would be pretty good with food, but it is nothing fantastic.

05-28-2009 03:06:12 | More by civilizedpsycho
nighthawk

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev +37.3%

473mL can with no freshness date poured into pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow with some carbonation making its way up lazily. Head is white, moderate with the pour, retains briefly (though longer than many AALs I've tried) before shrinking to a thin haze on the surface of the beer.

Aroma is a very, very faint corn.

Taste is clean and crisp, not quite watery though. Just a mild sweet grain until a slightly bitter finish. I think I can actually detect hops in this one.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, clean and a decent amount of carbonation.

It's not a chore to drink, but not one I'd recommend either. Moderately refreshing, drinkable due to its lack of flavour and clean, crisp palate.

05-27-2009 17:10:04 | More by nighthawk
RollingRocker

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev +35.2%

THE KING OF BEERS!!! When in reality it's not so much the king of beers as it is one of the largest producers of beer..Pours a very light yellow color...reminiscent of an unflushed toilet no lacing or head to speak of either. No noticeable smell at all. Tastes like...well almost nothing, very light in flavor with a very clean finish, quite refreshing on those hot days. Good mouthfeel rolls right over my tongue with a good amount of carbonation. A drinkable beer when you're throwing a party and don't really wanna blow a lot of money on beer with more flavor. I admit i do drink bud when money is tight. I prefer Yeungling but bud is definitely not the worst beer you can drink.

-RR

05-25-2009 19:03:11 | More by RollingRocker
laituegonflable

Australia

1.55/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a pale amber colour with a frenzy of bubbles forming a fairly decent cushion of white foam that sinks gradually. Carbonation also slows down, eventually there's hardly any. Has the look a refreshing lager. Ultimately, decent.

There isn't much to the nose. A bitter alkaline aroma, maybe some slight hints of a caramelly malt, but that's being generous, or imaginative. Just a light bitter edge. Hooray for celebrating nothingness.

Taste starts as moderately unimpressive and contrives to go rapidly downhill from there. Front palate is watery and weak with slight, minimal hoppy undertones, then overtaken by a bitter chemical flavour, quite insipid and metallic. Finish is dreadful with a cloying bread yeast character killing off any drinkability this beer may have gained from being otherwise so flavourless. Just tastes like so many other adjunct lagers, and with a very poor profile to make it stand out as a particularly offensive one. Mouthfeel so thin it's like licking the inside of a vacuum tube. None of the bubbles promised on the pour. A distasteful drop, this. Weak and unpleasant. But then, I must be mistaken - how could a million rednecks worldwide be wrong?

05-24-2009 23:41:18 | More by laituegonflable
drunkboxer1

3.1/5  rDev +33%

Had on tap after a Rolling Rock. Smells faintly of some grains, and maybe a bit of corn. Pours a golden yellow with no real head. Tastes fairly clean with some grainy sweetness and a fairly clean finish. There's a good amount of carbonation. Not too bad on tap. I've always thought this was a good beer for what it is, but there are cheaper alternatives if this is what you were going for.

05-22-2009 23:38:53 | More by drunkboxer1
JimBird

3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

Really pale yellow with a small, white, and virtually non-existent head. Low hop aroma, and a light malt flavour with some carbonation. You can drink it on a tight budget, and it's not terrible.

The verdict: Looks like beer, smells like beer, and tastes like beer.

05-19-2009 03:39:49 | More by JimBird
aval89

2.15/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a 24oz tall can into a pilsner glassed. Poured a golden color with a nice size head with a lot of carbonation after the initial pour. Smelled metallic with hints of grain and bread. Tasted of grain and corn and a bit of metal. Left sort of a strange after taste. I used to drink this before I got into craft brews, but now it taste a bit more worse than before. Im pretty sure due to the fact that my palate has matured. Still not a bad go to beer. Although I would pick a High Life over this, its still an average go to beer.

As far as the "King of Beers", i cant say I agree with it, but hey, we do live in America. Haha.

Cheers :D

05-18-2009 11:15:19 | More by aval89
tj4288

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

what more can you say about plain old budweiser, boring, lame fall back cheap beer. my uncles and my grandpa drink this stuff. i am not a fan by any means but i will not turn down an ice cold budweiser from a bottle or a can.... i guess its refreshing on a hot day

05-17-2009 04:41:09 | More by tj4288
Natural510

3.18/5  rDev +36.5%

Offered at friends' house. Not my first choice but hey, why turn down a free beer.

Pours a very pale golden color, but the head was quite full and took awhile to dissipate. No lacing at all after 5 minutes.
Scent carries a light maltiness, cereal-like, along with a very light hop profile. More suggestions of the ingredients than actual evidence.
Balanced. There is a light malt hop profile, long with a grainiess to the flavor. Hops can be tasted, but obviously not there to give a kick. Everything is very light, but nonetheless what is there is quite balanced.
No hop kick or yeast twang in the mouth, but it does do its job in being very crisp going down.

All in all, very drinkable. It doesn't have the sour aftertaste of other macro lagers which leave a sick feeling in my stomach. It's very balanced and a thirst-quencher. In that regard, it IS the quintessential brew of its style.

05-15-2009 14:10:44 | More by Natural510
yupitsmeadam

Washington

3.48/5  rDev +49.4%

Ok so this beer doesn't impress the eye. Pours a very pale yellow with little to no head.

Smells of cereal grains with some corn.

Taste is simple yet pleasing. It has "thirst-quenching" taste that can be great at a BBQ or at any ballgame.

Feels like really carbonated, soda flavored with beer (sad but true).

One of the most drinkable beers there is. First beer I ever drank as a an under-age drinker so it has a special place for me. Not great but not horrible. The one beer that is served at every ballpark and stadium in america...so just accept it!

05-15-2009 10:14:20 | More by yupitsmeadam
mudbug

Oregon

2.91/5  rDev +24.9%

We were at the Cafe Jefferson in New Iberia La.
for lunch, It was hot and muggy and the desire of spicy gumbo had me in it's dark spell.
The beer list almost made me cry, everything had the word "lite" or a facsimile of that... Oh dear, looks like unsweetened ice tea for me! but no, after asking the overworked server if they had ANY beer that wasn't "lite" a BUD appeared like a savior avatar.
Thank God for good gumbo, and thank God for Bud.
Way too easy for beer geeks to hate on this beer, but it has a refreshing quality and an outstanding consistency.
When consumed ice cold, flavors and aroma matter little and that's the way this beer needs to be consumed. Ya

05-10-2009 23:51:43 | More by mudbug
aerozeppl

1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

When I moved into my cellar I already had a bottle. A Bud with the Twin Towers on it with a born on date of 09/09/99.

A:Light yellow color with minimal white head. The 99 was much darker and actually looked halfway decent.

S: Adjuncty sweetness with a touch of corn. Not much of a nose at all.

T: Just nothing really nice to say. Almost zero flavor save for the corn sweetness. The 10 year old bud had a touch more malt but not by much.

M: Super light body. Hard to tell the difference between this and water.

D: You could drink this but the question is why would you with so many options that are better?

05-10-2009 15:01:01 | More by aerozeppl
TheTrevor

2.8/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer poured a light yellow with a big fluffy head that only lasted second and a lot of visible carbonation. The smell is slight malt and some grain. The taste is real simple with a bit of malt and then a crisp finish. That's about it, I'm not sure what the hell happened to the "choicest hops" that they talk about on the outside of the 40oz., but I'm not tasting them. The mouthfeel is watery but has enough carbonation to make it crisp, as a good macrobrew should. This is indeed drinkable, and nothing can take that away from it. The undisputed king of mediocrity in beers.

05-10-2009 02:08:11 | More by TheTrevor
MLasoski

3.85/5  rDev +65.2%

Being that Budweiser is as mainstream as a beer can get, it has its own uniqueness (the beechwood aging process, look it up). I am not a fan of Anheuser-Busch being sold to InBev, but that's another story.

Served: In a bottle, drank from the bottle.

A: I know it pours a glittery, transparent, and golden color. It leaves a minimal head.

S: I can smell the hops and a slightly malty flavor.

T: It's crisp and somewhat refreshing for a non-light beer. I can taste the hops in every sip and the rice gives the lager a unique taste. Can't seem to match it to any other lager.

M: As said before, it's crisp. Taking each sip down, I can taste the hops, but the rice makes it easier to handle.

D: It's surprisingly smoothe and light compared to other lagers. I could probably have quite a few Budweisers and not think anything of it. I wouldn't classify it as drinkable as summer beers, but it's a good fall-back if no other beers spike your interest at the bar.

By the way, I hope the label of Budweiser being a "hick beer" subsides in the near future. It's not a bad lager at all, especially since no other lager goes through the same process as this one does, to my knowledge anyway.

05-09-2009 05:21:43 | More by MLasoski