Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

I won a small Budweiser mini fridge in a sweepstake, so I purchased a 6-pack of tall boys. Reviewing one... Born on date of 14SEP10

- Drinking right from the can, so I can't see much... though knowing it's a bubbly white head... clear straw yellow.. very standard looking light lager beer.

- Light grains, hardly a touch of any hop... light sweetness, bready.

- Light grain, slightly sweet... bready touch to it. The bitterness I feel comes more from the carbonation, not the use of hops.. though there may be a slight grassy bitter touch.

- Creamy texture, watery....

- Kind of a funky aftertaste... a little too light and almost a funky off fruity flavor... it's been years since I have had a bud... It's not horrible... but it's not that great either...

Docer, Dec 02, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

I choose this beer as my first official review because of its undeniable place in American history. First, let me tell you a little about where I obtained the beer cited in this review. The Cedar Shack, a small bar on the outskirts of Amarillo. The kind of place that only gets busy when a cattle auction or the fair is in town. This is typically not somewhere someone like myself would enjoy a drink, but due to its proximity to my house it frequently is. You know the place, 2 pool tables, 2 small TV's, a few tables, and the jukebox only half-lit in the back corner. This is where I find myself, in front of me my usual order - one room temperature shot of tequilla no salt or lime (to be enjoyed later), and 1 mug of the great American Budweiser (because my only other option is bud or coors light), "and can I please get a glass that is not cold." This is where my review begins.

Appearence. Golden, very clear, and erupting with carbonation. A little like sprite with a few drops of yellow food coloring. Virtually no head, which in this case is the result of the pour. What little head there is dissipates slowly and leaves slight lacing on the mug.

Smell. Smalls like high school I guess. Its hard to pinpoint anything, but it smells like good old fashioned beer. Corn I guess, the lack of any hop scent is always so dissappointing to me.

Taste. Again, it tastes like "beer." Grainy flavor, corn is definately detectable. There is no hop flavor to it. I guess in two words I would say "minimally pleasing."

Mouthfeel. The unmanagable amount of carbonation it what really throws this beer off for me. I think my tounge undergoes some sort of mutation everytime I drink this beer. The carbonation is just too overpowering and detracts from the flavor, which may be a good thing.

Drinkability. With the exception of the carbonation, I could certainly enjor 3 or 4 of these before seriously questioning my motives. The beer is not good overall, but the watery aspect makes it very easy to consume this beer in massive flavorless quantities.

A beer in review:
Budweiser is and always has been a staple of the American lifestyle. That said, I do not like the beer. The only time I drink it anymore is between shifts when I know there is nothing in the fridge at home. Steer clear if possible, but if you find yourself in one of those hole-in-the-wall joints, give the classic a try. The tequilla you ask? It does a great job of clearing the Bud out of your mouth, and enough will actually make you forget that you ever subjected yourself to to this dissappointingly lame brew.

joelbb14, Nov 29, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

A-Pours a very, very pale yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipated slower than expected.

S-Somewhat musty, and very generic.

T-Tastes like a good adjunct lager. Its malty, but crisp and clean. Nothing offensive.

M-Thin and watery.

D-This is a beer you could drink mindlessly for hours.

Overall, for its style I think its hard to beat. It is much less musty and malty than others of the style which I think makes it much more enjoyable.

thegodfather2701, Nov 29, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +36.5%

Drank straight from can. 11/24/2010

Ok. I want to be the first to admit. Yes, Budweiser is really not a awesome beer or anything but I do feel it is very refreshing. I was out of everything but a 12 pack of Budweiser in cans.

Appearance: Cant really see into the can but from what I do remember pouring into a glass, its very, very, and I mean VERY light, pale yellow.

Smell: There is barely any smell but what I do get is a musty, fruity smell. Not too bad, also not too good.

Taste: Here is where I tend to disagree with people. I do think Budweiser tastes just fine. Of course its not exceptional or anything but it also doesnt make me gag either. On a hot summers day this would be very refreshing. Its very fruity from the can, also a bit bready, and i'm not noticing any metallic or offensive tastes. I'm finding it to be very refreshing after a day of drinking nothing but dark lagers.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. Watery as well. Like carbonated water with a tint of fruitiness and bread.

Drinkability: Could easily knock down a case of these quickly if you wanted to.

Like I said, not a beer conisseurs go to, but it's also not terrible.

PapillonJohn, Nov 25, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have not had a real Bud in years. Had this in Muskogee, OK, as there was not much choice at the steak house. Drank from mason jar, real classy for here I guess.

A: Pours light golden color with a big foamy head that lasts quite well and some lacing.

S: faint malt and grain aroma. Not a lot going on here.

T: Mild malt and grain taste, slight sweetness with a clean finish.

F: Light body, quite smooth. Crisp & refreshing.

D: Nice beer for the style. Easy drinker, best when served cold. Not as bad as some people advocate. A least it is a real beer and not some watered down light beer.

soju6, Nov 20, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -35.6%

A few minutes ago, in a room not so far away...

Budweiser: The Mass Market Beer Strikes Back
Round V

It is a dark time for this beer drinker. Although the aluminum pint has been avoided, the Mass Market Beverage Empire have driven the micro brew forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the bar.

While forced to drink this dreaded watery beer tasting of corn and malt, a group of freedom fighters has established a new secret base within a backup pint glass, away from bland smells and torturous mouthfeels.

The Great American Lager, obsessed with destroying any other beer that does not look like urine, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space....

majesticsock, Nov 14, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Needless to say, I am not a fan of Budweiser. The beer borders on exceptional in appearance, always clear and clean looking. That is the high point of this beer though. The aroma is sour. The taste is bland. The mouthfeel is like water and the beer to me is not to be classified as drinkable.

brewski09, Nov 13, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -9.9%

My first review for Bud came at the beginning of my beer awakening, when like many early-20s beer people I took a reactionary stance against the big brands. Also, the Bud I drank really sucked.

But I've had it since, and it's not awful, so I decided to do a formal review of a bottled Bud. The bottle art--I'm sorry to say, as much as I don't like almost all of Anheuser's marketing--is classic. It's really, really hard for a label to look so simplistic while being so busy, having so many words.

The beer itself, however, does not look good. It's like sun-bleached straw.

Smells like a a yeasty adjunct. The yeast is more pronounced and pleasant than what you get out of Miller or Coors, but the adjunct isn't nice at all and the barley isn't enough to balance it.

Tastes just fine. I had this fresh at the brewery a few years ago and it tasted very good, actually, smooth as silk and almost explosively yeasty and believe it or not there was a little hop bitterness at the back end. It's impossible to expect brewery freshness, though, and this bottle wears its 62 days of age very conspicuously. It's sweet and grainy up front, very lightly bitter on the back. Not bad at all, but really not good.

What just about kills Bud, though--the reason it's a firm third behind Miller and Coors, imho--is that in spite of being so lightly flavored, it's really not all that drinkable. There is a time and a place for lawnmower beers. Ounce for ounce, I've probably drank more Grain Belt and Schlitz in the last year than I have all other beers combined. But Grain Belt and Schlitz (and Coors, and High Life, and Stroh's and PBR and Red Dog) all have more flavor than Bud, and even more importantly they aren't so damn sodapop fizzy, so they don't hurt my stomach when I drink them.

So, there. My last review was reactionary. This one is fair. It'd be damn dishonest to say this is anywhere near the worst beer in the world. But it's not very good, even for what it tries to be.

mynie, Nov 12, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -27%

Why the "King of Beers"? This is actually a quite poor beer. It smells like metallic, diluted corn/rice water. The taste is not much better. Way too much rice which compromises the taste (which there is little of). If you want a cheap beer in the "big 3" go with Miller High Life!

Beerbluesbiology, Nov 08, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -38.6%

I understand that this is the king of beers and one of the best selling beers in the world. That being said, I did not really care for this beer. This beer was a little too light for my taste. There wasn't a lot of body. It had very little flavor. In fact, it just tasted like tap water. The alcohol was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking beer. With out a doubt, there are better beers out there. However, if someone were to offer me a bud, I wouldn't refuse. After all, that just wouldn't be good etiquette.

PDX2LA, Nov 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +70.8%

My first beers were primarily foreign beers. That is, I never paid much attention to American ones. When I tried Budweiser, I was very impressed. I Think a lot of people on this website might be rating Bud low because they are beer snobs and know they have to because they have a reputation to uphold.

Vashtar, Nov 01, 2010
2.93/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Yellow straw color with an average size head that sticks around a bit. Minimal lacing left behind.

S: Very slight hints of malt and barley as well as grain. Not great by any means, but certainly not offensive. Just the usual adjunct lager.

T: See above. I also detected a bit of a fruity undertone, maybe apple.

M: Smooth with moderate carbonation. Light-medium mouthfeel, goes down smoothly.

D: This is a good, refreshing beer in terms of drinkability. Easy to have more than one of these.

Overall, a fair brew. Certainly doesn't live up to the name "The Great American Lager", but at the same time I don't think this deserves a horrible rating as given by some.

HockeytownBrew, Oct 29, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Very pale yellow in color with an off-white head that is nearly non-existent after about a minute. Lacing? Yeah right.

Sweet corn smell. Good to eat? Yes. In a beer? No thanks. Some funky grain smell also.

Grains with a bit of sweetness. A little lemony hop hit with a cheap grain finish. Corn like sweetness to it.

Somewhat smooth, but the carbonation is a bit of a mess and adds a nearly fizzy feeling.

Better than some, but not really one I look forward to ever having again in this lifetime.

jera1350, Oct 26, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +27.9%

A-pale gold, a lot of white head

S-actually not a bad smell of barley. not completely weak either. a little impressed here

T-well its weaker than the smell but still not awful, has undesirable tastes to it but its not completely terrible

M-medium carbonation, slightly smooth finish

D-well i don't like to admit it here but what the heck, i can drink this all night, i won't enjoy it as much as a real beer but whatever

AdamBear, Oct 25, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +82.4%

Its called the king of beers for a reason, its tasty, feels great, goes down easy. Its like the perfect bonfire beer, pound some of these get nice and sloppy, and play some beer pong, then make some bad decisions. then wake up and start again.

BUT ENJOY RESPONSIBLY, I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR BAD DECISIONS.

Shefus, Oct 19, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Pale yellow. Not very interesting.

S- It smells like bread to me, who smells budweiser anyways?

T- Its good, kinda like the McDonalds of beer. Its good in a pinch and consistant but pretty boring and if you have too much of it you wind up avoiding it.

D- Its average. Not the smoothest out there but goes down pretty easy.

SodoSyco, Oct 17, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -12%

This was the first beer I ever tried, and I drank this for years as a teenager, I guess because I just didnt know any better.

A- Straw pale yellow

S- Strange and unpleasant smell that I can't quite describe, although there were times I drank it and it smelled a little like vomit.

T- Watery, metallic, bitter, very little sweetness and once again, like the smell, there is unpleasant taste to it that I just cant quite describe.

M- Watery, carbonated.

D- Not good. I guess they might be easy enough to pound when very cold and there's nothing else to drink.

Overall this is a horrible beer. How the hell this is the most popular beer on earth is beyond me. Only way I'd drink this is if there was nothing else at a party. If there was wine or liquor, maybe I'd have some bud to end the night after getting wasted.

Derranged, Oct 16, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +2.1%

From the 24 fl. oz. can with a born on date of 17Jun10-NA96. Budweiser is consistant and that's all one really needs to say about it. Straw yellow pour with quick fizzy head. Weak aroma of grains, adjuncts, and something vaguely reminiscent of hops. The taste is generally the same. Everyone here knows that this is not a craft beer but it does help wash down some chips and dip.

puboflyons, Oct 12, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -1.3%

12ox can poured into 16oz beer mug

Pours with 1-2 finger head, bubbles break up fairly fast.

Smell -not much there. corn, malt, an odd bitter odor I can't describe and don't like.

Taste's worse than it smells. you get the corn, grains, a bit of sweetness, but also an unpleasant bitter taste that linger a bit as well.

mouthfeel is thin & lite with medium+ bubbles.

Overall not a great drinkablilty brew. I actually tried and preferred bud lite to this because of it's smoother drink and lack of odd bitter flavor in the Bud?

fourplayed, Oct 12, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

Ahhh... the beer I grew up on... Sneaking cans of this from the old man thru high school got me through...

Somehow I haven't reviewed this one in a can so I'm doing it for old times..

I ordered a pizza tonight and grabbed a sixer of this to wash it down with..

Pours a crystal clear golden with a thin fizzy white head... Lots of carbonation... Basically what a beer looks like...

Light maltiness with a touch of alcohol... Not much going on really..

Light sweet barley malts and a dirty sort of aftertaste... Man... I didn't think this one was this bad... I guess the lack of flavor hurts this one.. I don't want to be one of those people who smashes this one just because it's Bud but.... It just doesnt have much of a taste and the taste that it does have isnt that good..

OK to have with pizza or something I guess but not something I would reach for

Tilley4, Oct 04, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +35.2%

It looks like the beer they draw in cartoons. Yellow. Easy to see through too. Lots of bubbles if it's fresh, which based on the popularity, it usually is.

I really think I can smell the rice. . .

It tastes like America! Well, sort of. It's very mild to me, bitter to people who don't like beer.

It feels bubbly in your mouth. You can taste/feel the alcohol (because there isn't much else to taste).

When it's cold, it goes down easy on a hot day with some hot dogs and good friends. Plus it is cheap enough.

Probably the best part about Budweiser is the fact you know it's going to taste the same no matter where you get it, and when.

birdyone, Oct 02, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -18.5%

A- Pours a bright yellow. The head fizzes up loudly on the pour but goes away in the blink of an eye. Nothing going on here for sure.

S- Smells of corn and malt sweetness. Nothing else really.

T- The taste is corny and tinny. Real sugary and sweet.

M- Thin as water and good amount of carbonation.

D- Not really anything going on here. Its everywhere so it must be drinkable.

nrbw23, Oct 02, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

You know it, you probably hate it (if you love real beer); Budweiser.
Pours a golden yellow color with very little head. Smells of cereal grain and booze. Tastes pretty much the same. A slight sweetness in addition to the other flavors. Mouthfeel was very thin. Drinkability is a joke.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev +24.5%

This is national Budweiser week according to my friend who is a beer rep for Anheuser Busch. I am reviewing this beer as a result. Drank straight from a bottle - no glass - as this is the most frequently used method of consumption. The beer is a light golden color with little to no head. Smells of grain with a hint of sweetness and beer for a lack of better description - this is what beer smells like. The taste is crisp and light with not much to offer. No hop flavor to speak of and a slight and ever fading malt character. This beer is easy drinking - as can be understood why its served to the masses. Not a brew I'd recommend for those seeking flavor, however this is an easy drinking beer that would not offend most - therefore leading to its obvious popularity.

AITCTKD170, Oct 02, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

I really do not care for American macro brews of the adjunct lager variety so I came into this with a pretty big chip on my shoulder. I tried to be as impartial as possible, imagining as if this were the first Bud I had ever tasted, but I'm not sure if it worked.
Poured from 24oz can into pilsner glass it is clear pee yellow with a rapidly receding and really loud pure white head.
Fruity aroma of apples and grapes when the can was cracked open. The brew itself starts out smelling of weak malt and grassy cereal grains before fading into the skunky smell of wet pennies and old wine. The more I smelled it, the more I realized that it has the full aromatic profile of the dust at the bottom of a box of Lucky Charms cereal.
The taste is very weak but still rings of overly sweet cereals with the lightest hint of citrus. It is truly a one-dimensional taste that consists less of fermented grain and more of the acidic bitterness of fortified wine.
The slightly slimy mouth feel is nearly masked by the relatively high carbonation level that cuts the mucous-like feel and adds to the "drinkability."
"Drinkability," I might add is more than likely the unconscious reaction of the body to try and wash away the slime feeling with the only nearby beverage with a sensation strong enough to take the mind off the nasty feeling.

gainesvillegreg, Sep 29, 2010