Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Budweiser 40 oz. bottle

A: The appearance is of a typical light beer. Tranlucent with a yellow tint that looks average of a lighter beer.

S: The smell is relatively the same of it son... Bud Light. However, it has a little more of a stronger smell. Smells malty and kind of has a metallic scent to it.

T: Well, the taste isn't too appealing to me, but I enjoy it because it fits the budget. Taste of malts, little bit of hops and rice.

M: The mouthful wasnt impressive to me. The taste of the beer made the mouthful of the beer unappealing to me, but like I said before... It fits the budget.

D: I can drink a lot of this beer and I will. This beer isn't my ideal beer, but it's good for what it is.

chasebrownyeah1, Feb 13, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

I have Snorkapotamus to thank for this bottle...and only myself to blame for requesting it.

Back in my mid-teens I played in a covers band and remember jamming on Van Halen's "Unchained" while drinking Budweiser from the bottle, nabbed from a parental stash. The forbidden nature of the act made the beer taste better than it was. I thought it was kind of yucky, but it was beer, and just two bottles gave a 15-year-old one hellish buzz. I got used to it, and even thought Budweiser was "my beer." Until college, when I found imports like St. Pauli Girl and Newcastle. Fast-forward to 1995 or so and I'm introduced to Belgians and Sam Adams' Triple Bock (aka "That's BEER?"). My beer world finally began changing for the better. 15 years later, I feel the need to taste Budweiser again.

A: I don't have good experiences with beer this color. Super-duper filtering going on here, the liquid a sickly, pale piss-yellow. Head is a brilliant bone-white, but oddly it doesn't last long, breaking up into a crown quickly.

S: Aroma is mostly boiled corn, which certainly tastes awesome on a cob with butter and salt, but as a beer aroma? Not really. A sickly sweetness tries to push through, very Splenda/Nutrasweet.

T: For a second, there's something about the flavor that's quite nice, reminding of a standard Czech pils leaning toward that fun/gross sugary weirdness of a strong Euro lager. Make that a millisecond, because the flavor is paper-thin and lacks beery oomph of any sort, and then an insanely dry, crisp finish mops up whatever flavor does linger.

M: Super-tingly carbonation, and that's about it. The incredible crispness pretty much just wipes out every flavor and textural impression.

D: I still think Budweiser is yucky.

Metalmonk, Feb 04, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +19.3%

I've put down lots of Budweiser over the last few years when I've been with friends at parties and dive bars. This sample is from a bottle I stole from a party last week, and now drinking in the comfort of my home. On to the beer:

Into a stange it goes, the beer is a very pale straw color. Big soapy head sits on top of it. Run of the mill head retention. The aroma is simple. A snap of sour green apple. Very clean nose.

This beer is taken from the "less is more" apporach to making macro lagers. There's a little flavor to make you keep drinking it, and thankfully it's not spit out awful. Green apple flavor is the most noticable note. A trace of grain towards the end makes me think of Frito's corn chips for some reason. It is crisp and clean and light in the mouth. A touch too light with a touch more carbonation than prefered.

Very easy to drink, though I'll admit my taste buds begin to get bored after 3 or 4. Not nasty like some adjunct lagers, and it's a good "warm up" beer...in fact, I have a Black Butte XXI waiting in the wings.

DoubleJ, Jan 31, 2010
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Bud Light's more mature and muscular big brother. Too bad they both share the same inbred bloodline.

The fact that this is better than Bud Light means almost nothing. This beer is an American standby. People dont drink it because it is good. They drink it because the guys in the commercials drink it.

A plus is the 5%ABV so you dont have to drink too many before you stop tasting them.

Avoid.

h00dak, Jan 30, 2010
2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a 24 ounce can with born on date of August 09. Would this have been best within 110 probably not. Clear golden straw color. Scent of fresh cut grass. Basic lager flavor one that I have known for years. So for that I give Bud props same taste can, bottle or tap. Other than that no special yeast, or hops flavors. Drinkable nature is great, goes down easy till you get a headache next day.

mtnbikerpa, Jan 29, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

I knew the time would come when I had to start reviewing the "bad beers". Which I do consider most of these macros just plain BAD. Well by chance I just realized Im doing Bud first, which is a good starting point.

From a can?? Yup, 2 finger fizzley, light, airy pale white head. Died to a 1 finger extremly fast. No retention, or any lacing. Just the color of this beer even looks water-downed. Its a pale unimpressive light yellow, and bland looking.

There is just really nothing to it. Only a light corn and wheatiness is coming through (or at least that I can detect.)

Its been some good months since Ive had any of these beers and wow has my taste changed. Budweiser was never my favorite at any time, but I used to think this was alright. Now, I really think this just tastes gross. Even it being more flavorful than BL it is still just bland corny and has a dirty metallic can taste. I really had to force this down.

As with everything else the mouthfeel is still in the "watery" catagory. Its too light and from the pour I guess, unusually flatter than I remember. Guess its not meant to be poured from a can? I would have on tap if there was nothing else, but never from a can again (Though I have had 1,000s) haha. I would def. get Shiner, Sam Adams, practically anything over Budweiser. Either way avoid this mega-giant sponsored beer, there is so much great beer out there, and this is far from one. "King of Beers" ?? Makes me laugh.

MOB210SA, Jan 28, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Light yellow color. Crystal clear. Zero head.

S: Smell of slight grain, but nothing really there.

T: Watery pilsner taste. Trace amounts of hop flavor. Some graininess that you won't find in the light version.

D: Ok it's a light American tasteless beer, but you can drink them rather easily if you must. It's drinkable.

Like it or not it's an American staple. For the record, many people in Europe drink this trash as well. It meets a need. That need is not flavor. It's smooth and that's about it.

Maltoftheearth, Jan 25, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -2.1%

I end up having this beer sometimes at bars where the only choice is Budweiser, Heineken and Stella and the budweiser is the cheapest of the bunch. It is not a good beer but I have to say it isn't totally terrible. It does have a definite pilsner character about it and if you're already resigned to bad beer, I say go ahead and try one.

david18, Jan 24, 2010

Poured a very light yellow with a lrge white head that dissipated after a few minutes.

The smell was on the sweet side, seemed to have a bit of a hay or grassy smell as well.

As for taste, not much at all. Came across as very watered down. Basically water with a little beer flavoring added.

Not much feel, prett much similar to carbonated water.

It had been a long time since I last tried Bud, and I have became much more educated on beer since then. I was amazed at how listless this was compared to the really good beers I have had. Not what I'd describe as terrible, but just bland. Nothing stood out at all. Strictly for those who have no clue what a good beer is.

Vixie, Jan 24, 2010
2.6/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Had a few cans laying around after a friend brought over a case. I think I've only bought Bud once, and that was a forty for a white trash night.

Pours in a pint glass from the can a very pale straw yellow. Completely transparent. One of the lightest color beers I've ever seen. Moderate clear foam dissipates quickly, leaving no foam. Speaking of the can, A-B's grandiose self-promotion on their products have always bugged me. A beer that speaks for itself garners more respect from me than one that shouts at me from its label how great it is.

I detect some mild lagery malts and more noticable hay-like hop aromas. Nothing very intense, hard to describe, but easy to recognize mediocre beer smell.

Flavors are mild, barely-there malt sweetness, with a little bit of hop bittering at the end. Maybe something there that tastes artificial. Very light in body that is pretty refreshing and cleansing when it's cold. However, this beer loses all appeal with just a few degrees more than refrigerator temps.

Not like it induces a gag reflex or anything, but there are so few characteristics of this beer to bring me back that I'll pass until the next one comes along for free. I'd rather pay much less for a better beer in PBR. Or drink just a great lager with Full Sail's Session Lager.

josiahschlender, Jan 20, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +33%

Found a couple bucks lying on the ground after work so I split a pitcher with my assistant manager last night.

A- Pours a clear pale golden yellow color. One and a half finger white head comes and goes rather quickly. No lacing on the glass at all. Can tell it's carbonated but it looks like a flat beer.

S- I get some sweetness in the front of this beer. Corn and rice are the next things I can pick up on. There is a sweetness to the alcohol aroma in this as well. Some cooked veggie smell as well.

T- This is not as bad as I remembered it being. Not that the taste was outstanding by any means just better than I remember. Light bitter upfront on this...this last for a split second before going into a sweetness the rest of the way through. Cooked veggie taste in the middle along with some adjunct corn and rice taste. Light bitterness in the backend of this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style but too much for me. Fizzy water feel in the mouth. Sweetness all around is left on the palate and in the aftertaste.

D- This has great drinkability. A low enough ABV makes this a very sessionable beer. I didn't mind the couple glasses I had of it but I wouldn't buy it as a regular. Favorite out of the big three. Would still rather just have a PBR if given the choice out of the style.

alleykatking, Jan 20, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Every old school man has "his beer". This has always been my dad's so I thought it deserved a review. Besides its probably the most iconic of the American macros.

24oz tall boy poured into my new New Glarus pilsner. I can think of many better uses for this awesome glass but I just wanna put some miles on this piece. Thanks again FrankenBrew!

A- Pours a bright clear urine yellow. The head fizzes up loudly on the pour but goes away in the blink of an eye. Once everything settles there is no activity. Not even any bubbles floating on top. You could never tell if this is a fresh beer or a flat one.

S- The smell is apparent as soon as the can is cracked. Corn and malt sweetness are the first you notice. I marked the smell a bit higher because unlike others of this style there is the hint of hops. The nose is slightly more balanced. It begins to smell like a real beer.

T- The hops might have been just a figment of my imagination. The taste is corny and tinny. Real sugary and sweet.

M- Thin as water. Low carbonation. Dry finish. The dry finish isnt really what I expected in a beer like this.

D- Hardly any alcohol. Hardly any flavor. Hardly any body. Whats not drinkable about it?

MbpBugeye, Jan 20, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +33%

Poured into a pint glass. This leaves 1/2" of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Golden color with astounding clarity. Not much smell, a little bit of yeast, mostly rice. Taste is a perfectly clean traditional American lager. What I think sets Bud apart from others is the huge banana taste I get from it. I think it's interesting that more people don't comment on that, it seems so blatantly clear to me. Comes from that very present yeast character I guess. Feels a bit over-carbonated but drinkability is certainly fine. This and Coors Original are my two go-tos when I want a cheap American lager beer on hand. After this case though I think I'll go back to Coors, that's just a little better in my opinion.

thedrewski86, Jan 19, 2010

on tap into pint glass

its amazing how consistent they make these beers. truly remarkable. the whole shtick is the same: lousy head retention, poor nose (no smell really whatsoever), feel is like seltzer, the d-bility is for frat bros only. the colour is perhaps a bit more golden, but not so much that I remember a distinct difference.

erz316, Jan 18, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -2.1%

500 mL can poured into a pint glass.

A: pale yellow brew sitting underneath a thick, foamy white head.

S: there's a very unpleasant undertone to this and I can't quite place what it is--just a general sour smell (but not in a good way)

T: I'll admit it's better from a can than from the bottle, but that's not saying a lot. There's a very artificial taste in the finish--perhaps from the rice?

D: won't be seeking this out, but I had to give it a fair chance and review it. :)

fullsweep, Jan 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

It is a true american beer with a rich yellow color and a great taste. You can really taste the hops which some would disagree but hey that is an opinion right? Anyway the smell is above average the taste is good and the mouthfeel is pretty good also. Drinkability is defintley good is a smooth beer with a nice abv%. Like I say it is a true american beer.

kdawg105, Jan 18, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Where is the Beer Advocate rating for sentimentality? I'm forced to combine that criterion with "drinkability," elevating my old friend Budweiser to a perfect five out of five in that category. I cannot be so generous in the other categories. I'm inclined to thank Metalmonk, my personal beer advocate, for my new found beer-phistication. Then again, maybe I shouldn't.

After all I now am forced to drive an hour and a half and pay three times what I used to pay for a drinkable brew. Whereas I used to be content with a cold bottle of Bud, I now yearn for that same brew to show even a hint of enduring head, a trace of ancestral Saaz hops or a malt that doesn't shout "Corn!" as it shoots down the gullet. I wince at the soda pop carbonation, the claims of finest ingredients and the container itself, an aluminum can.

Although my decades of Bud drinking precede the age at which I was legally allowed to do so, I fear they are coming to an end. Sure, I might pick one up on the golf course or out of the cooler at a cookout, in a pinch. I also will buy a case if I'm having a party, to prevent my unenlightened guests from snarfing my other fine craft brews.

Today, however, I drink my final Bud for pleasure. It is a bittersweet event. Actually, it is neither bitter nor sweet. It's just sort of--corny.

In fact, corn and rice malt lead to my old friend Bud's most endearing quality, crispness. Crispness allows the tongue to forget what has just crossed it. Crispness leads from one uninspired can to the next, one trip to the grocery store after another, one year of ignorance to the next. Crispness, sadly, will no longer cut it.

Ignorance is no longer bliss. Metalmonk, you've taken me from macrobrewed lager to microbrewed doubles, tripels, quads, imperials, lambics and beyond. I am spoiled beyond recovery. I am a certified beer geek. I hardly even like wine anymore. I hope you're happy, because, though I hesitate to admit it, so am I.

Cheers!

Snorkapotamus, Jan 17, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Very light hop aroma which is difficult to detect. Something makes me think Czech, probably Saaz hops. Bright yellow color with a pure white head that vanishes quickly. Tastes of corn and rice. Quite bland but refreshing and contains no offensive elements. Thin and fizzy. Finishes crisp and dry. Far from a premium beer but it's probably the best of the big American lagers. Cheap and easy to find.

exparte, Jan 17, 2010
2.93/5  rDev +25.8%

i saw a commercial recently and it indicated that this was the "king of beers" so i thought, "what the hay" i'll try one. so i waited for my time. and then...blammo! i was waiting for the bus at the BroHo and it had one of these royaltease on tap!
at first i was enthrallled by the three l's i put in the word a few words back, but then, i realized, this is about beer, not spelling. so i searched within. when i did this, i realized something magical. this beer is about more than me and this moment. this beer is about a shitload of money and clydesdale horses. Sure! suddenly, it dawned on me. why not make a commercial celebrating this beer and gigantic horses. granted, i've rarely rode a horse. but wouldn't it be cool, just for heritage sake? imagine clydesdale horses eating rice that had been soaked by a hose of mississippi river water and then lain to rest for days upon end. then whatever these mammoths don't eat gets put in a bath with these weird yakimanian pellets. then it is put into kegs. and distributed into my mouth. i feel like i had a dream about this once. it was almost horrible, but then i woke up and realized, "what the hay" at least it ain't miller. thanks, chief.

just kidding, this is a great beer to drink if you're waiting for the bus and you're afraid to get a shot of whiskey.

why is this not served on nitro? i mean, at least occasionally.

olympuszymurgus, Jan 16, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +15%

Served from a bottle as a 2 for 1 at happy hour. No glass to pour this into, but from memory, it pours yellow and looks like a standard adjunct lager, not bad, not impressive. Smell is pretty poor, as even this fresh Budweiser smells a bit skunky. Taste is a bit watery with some malt and corn coming through. Mouthfeel is fine and not heavy. Drinkability is fine outside of the poor taste.

pdoran10, Jan 14, 2010
2.45/5  rDev +5.2%

It's obviously one of the most popular beers in the United States, very drinkable, but not a great beer. This beer is for one purpose, to get drunk. Budweiser is one of those beers that is good for tail-gating, and back yard barbecues and such, and is very convenient. This beer does have it's place but is unfortunately the most popular. Also, this beer distracts people from buying better beers, which are more expensive, but obviously better. This is a decent beer for it's purpose, but again, it sucks.

StevenBilodeau, Jan 13, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

a cheap session beer. kinda horrible, but gets you drunk? It's ok at first but leaves an unpleasant sweet, almost nauseating aftertaste. Relatively easy to drink (easier than say, olde english 800) but not a beer to savor by any stretch of the imagination.

Look is ok, nice amber color

Budweiser: King of Rice!

joshk, Jan 06, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Thin, clear pale yellow with not much head to speak of.

S: Faint sweet malts and some astringency.

T: Slightly sweet adjunct malts which lead to metallic, almost rubbing alcohol-like phenols, some diacetyl, steamed frozen carrots, and an artificial hop bitterness.

M: Very thin; consistency of this brew is not impressive.

D: I can't say Bud in a can is much different than Bud in a bottle. But Anheuser-Busch has the taste of Budweiser homogenized pretty much everywhere, so it doesn't really matter how you drink it; it all tastes about the same.

thekanna, Jan 03, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

Very typical lager, great beer to grab on the go and have a few while watching the game. Tastes great, very drinkable, not the greatest head...

Overall this beer is good. Anyone can drink it. It dosent have any distinct features that someone would be picky about and not like.

BudBoy, Jan 02, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

It seems like posters are going one of three ways on this one: 1.) slagging Bud for not being particularly flavorful / complex / interesting, 2.) defending Bud as an act of patriotism, or 3.) defending Bud for being what it's trying to be - flavorless, mass-marketed, yellow fizz.

I probably fall in the third camp. Bud knows its role and fills it ably. I don't think anyone is fooled by its "Beechwood aging process", its contention that they know of no beer so expensive to make, the Clydesdales, or anything else. Bud can be dishonest with us and we don't care because Bud's a part of the family.

Bud is to beer what Old Navy is to clothing. Sometimes you just want to skip the shower, pull on some $4 cargos and a $2 wife-beater, drop your ass on the couch and work through 12 of these. The good thing is, Bud will always be there for you.

McDosey, Jan 02, 2010