Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
AustinBeerLvr

3.25/5  rDev +39.5%

I haven't had a good old Budweiser in probably a couple of years. For my macro lager, I am normally a Pabst and Schlitz guy, but being a Missouri native, I figured I would give this beer I once used to drink quite frequently another go around.

A: Pours a very clear, brilliant yellow like color with a decent amount of head that goes away quickly.

S: Ultra clean, with some definite rice with a very small hint of hops in there as well.

T & M: This beer hits the palate ultra crisp and clean with a fairly nice refreshing flavor that kind of reminds me of biting into a clean crisp green apple. Some rice flavor becomes more present as the beer begins to finish, and leaves a slightly sour after taste with just a kiss of hops at the end. As the beer warms, the rice flavors become a bit more pronounced.

I swear the mouthfeel used to a bit fuller in this beer, but it is still not bad for style, as it adds to the refreshing feeling of this brew.

D & Notes: As I said above, I used to drink this beer much more frequently in the "old days". Even as a craft beer enthusiast, I must say this isn't a half bad brew. The reason AB gets such a bad reputation among the beer enthusiast crowd probably has more to do with the fact that AB seems to be much more associated with Bud Light instead of Budweiser these days.

Today, I would say this isn't my favorite macro lager. I think I will stick with a good old PBR for a good simply beer. However, I think Bud is still a good simple easy brew to drink. Just remember to drink it cold, don't over analyze it, and appreciate this simple brew for what it is.

05-16-2008 01:00:27 | More by AustinBeerLvr
Cheech22

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

I'm actually quite surprised (and impressed) at the amount of fairness this brew has gotten in these reviews. So...what do I think (if you care)? Well...

Appearance: Crystal clear and golden. Carbonation is light, fizzy and almost cola-like. Disappears quickly.

Smell: softly malty, almost slightly sweet, but the smell is certainly faint.

Taste: Light, somewhat sour at times. Hint of saltiness but nowhere near as pronounced as it is in Bud Light. Not much bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Very thin.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink.

Budweiser gets a bad rap since AB is in many ways the "evil empire" as far as brewing is concerned. I wouldn't drink this stuff every day but it's ok I guess. It's probably my 2nd favorite major American macro out there (MGD is a little better). In fact, if you (understandably) don't like macro beers but you often have people over who do, this isn't a bad one to try. It's decently cheap and it's not terrible, despite its reputation amongst craft-beer drinkers. It's certainly much better than its appalling younger sibling, at any rate.

Also, be sure to pour that shit in a glass if you buy it in cans (like I normally do). Gets rid of most of the metallic taste, if that bothers you.

05-13-2008 04:06:49 | More by Cheech22
Taipans

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

A - Its got a nice look going for it. Bubbly golden, with a bright 2 finger white head.

S - I couldn't smell much, but the touch of sweetness wasn't offensive.

T - It tasted crisp, simple and what a run of the mill lager should be. I didn't taste anything off about it, much as I do with bud light and bud select.

M - Pretty lively, tingly, tons of carbonation. Smooth though, it goes down easy.

D - Highly drinkable, great session beer. ABV is right on the sweet spot.

The most suprising aspect of this beer is how many people I know that would never drink it. Everytime I go out, or I am around friends they opt for Bud light. They refuse to drink this because according to them, "its heavy".

I am a craft drinking homebrewer so don't get me wrong. If there are alternatives I will jump for them. I absolutely hate bud light, and stayed away from this to. I figured they were pretty much all in the same. But I was suprised to find out that it wasn't so bad!

05-12-2008 11:43:37 | More by Taipans
Offa

3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

This really is pretty good, basic beer. It's not the best macro US lager out there, and certainly not for the price (some cheaper ones are much better), but it's still good and far, far better than competitor Coors or cheaper cousin Busch. It's easily the equal of its "all-malt" cousin, Michelob, too, and is very similar.

It's typical gold with a fairly big, airy white head (more airy than Michelob) that soon dissipates to a very thin ring. It is slightly lighter in colour than PBR and has a slightly weaker head.

The aroma is sweet grain - very light and simple but pleasant.

The taste is light, smooth grain, a bit of a mineral-water quality in taste and body that takes over part-way through. However, it stays smooth and retains some flavour, much more than Coors. It is lighter in flavour, especially hoppiness, than PBR and has a more mineral-water/7-up quality than PBR.

05-08-2008 18:32:19 | More by Offa
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

It's Budweiser, what can you say? It's golden appearance is somewhat seductive, pulling you in to a trap. The aroma and taste are not very appealing. The problem is that it goes down smooth so you are encouraged to drink more. Drinks like this are the reason alcohalism for so many begins in college wher drinks like this are prevelent.

05-08-2008 02:49:11 | More by DesMoinesMike
rye726

Colorado

1.8/5  rDev -22.7%

I don't like bud. It has an average yellow color with a light tan head. The smell is of stale hops and some light malt. The taste is not any different. Basic light flavored malts and some icky hops. Feel is very light and over carbonated. I would not want any let alone one of these. Sorry Busch.

05-05-2008 05:11:27 | More by rye726
Strix

Wisconsin

For me, this is the "average" beer.

No objectionable flavors, but nothing special. smell somewhat grainy. Taste is grainy, yet a bit sweet with no off-flavors. Not much flavors at all, I suppose.

But fairly drinkable if needing to wash down food.

It is what it is. I'd prefer something a bit more interesting and flavorful, but it's not as bad as some make it sound.

05-01-2008 02:56:12 | More by Strix
Bierman9

New Hampshire

"The taste is all that matters"? Boring, bitter, bland...Bud. Ugh! With so much good bier out there from micros, it's hard to fathom Bud's popularity. Pale, steady carbo, whitish head; doesn't lure me in at all. Aroma? Really? Grassily bitter, prickly, thin. Nope, nope, nope....

look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | drink: 1

beer review id: 7699 / 02-16-2002 19:30:44

04-27-2008 18:25:07 | More by Bierman9
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.4/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour is from a 24oz can and is a crystal clear straw colour with a very large head of foam. Above average head retention and my glass is coated with lacing after every sip.

The smell has some grain, sweet malt, and a slight bit of bitterness.

The taste is very clean and smooth tasting. A bit of grain, a bit of malt sweetness, and a slight bitterness in the finish. The body is just right for the style and it's easy drinking. Not much more I can say. It's just solid.

04-27-2008 18:07:00 | More by Bitterbill
orangemoustache

A-pours straw yellow with thin bubbly head that fizzles fast and leaves no lace behind

S-faint rice,and white bread odors

T-all malts but they are very subdued,slight sweetness like watered down grapes-this really doesn't taste like much,but what little taste it does have is not offensive and quite clean and enjoyable

M-thin and water like,a bit of soft bubbles tickle the tongue in a crisp clean refreshing finish

D-this is a beer I grew up drinking so maybe this clouds my judgment a little,that said, I find nothing wrong with the King of Beers

04-22-2008 05:38:13 | More by orangemoustache
Portertime

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

This is the all-American beer. Mass produced, mass consumed, a college person's diet staple. Pours and light golden color with a head that doesn't quit. Taste of smooth malts. Drink with whatever, whenever, whereever. Enjoy it as cold as you can get it and don't let it sit out too long.

04-16-2008 19:33:18 | More by Portertime
PhillyStyle

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev +47.2%

This is by far the best mass produced, mass distributed American style lager. One thing I try to keep in mind when rating beers is the style of beer. Now is this one of my all time favorites and I would order/buy all the time, no, but it is a perfect beer for when I am at the ball park, at a bar/restaurant that does not serve a variety of beers. The beer provides a nice clear pale yellow/straw color with a thin head. Not much of a nose, it smells like most other American style lagers. The beer is very drinkable with the right level of carbonation. It is light with some malt overtones, but very smooth and crisp. This is a beer that has its place. If I am going to be outside in the summer for any reason, I am going to grab this beer before say a heavy porter or stout. Overall, this is a beer that I enjoy a lot during the summer months and should be regarded as the best American style lager.

04-15-2008 16:17:22 | More by PhillyStyle
batty

3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

appearance pours a very light yellow-grey color, fizzy and with a nice head. Head disappears fast, no lacing.

smell is a little alcohol, but i can't smell anything else. maybe my nose's fault.

taste is dry and bland, but nothing bad. fizzy water, touch of alcohol and lightly balanced malt-hop touch at the end. mostly watery.

mouthfeel is watery and very fizzy, but you could definitely drink dozens of these if you were feeling it..

04-14-2008 15:15:01 | More by batty
MarkNLaura1

Louisiana

3.7/5  rDev +58.8%

A: Watery straw yellow
S: Sweet carbonated water with a hint of hoppy undertones buried way down deep in the nose.
T: Light, nearly flavorless, but strangely refreshing
M: Carbonated water
D: Easy to drink. It's about like drinking club soda.

It's probably the best of the American macro's. Kinda boring but it goes down good after mowing the lawn or while watching football. For what it is, it's probably the best there is. And at least they put it in a brown bottle.

04-06-2008 17:22:58 | More by MarkNLaura1
bltzburgh

1.23/5  rDev -47.2%

Pours light yellow with low head. Smell is a little off reminding you of your last hang over. For such a big company with many micros under its umbrella, they have done nothing to improve this beer over the years. Marketing is the only thing they have done well, but who drinks/tastes commercials...not good!.. Rather drink from a dirty stream. Not only that you wake up dried out with head ache. Not from quantity either!

04-05-2008 03:04:16 | More by bltzburgh
nickfl

2.75/5  rDev +18%

A - Pale straw color with perfect clarity. Pours with a small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lace.

S - Grainy aroma with no hop character. Some sweetness along with a distinct green apple aroma.

T - Very grainy flavor with a slight honey note from the malt. Clean, with no hops and a dry finish.

M - Light, watery body with moderate carbonation.

D - The light flavor and body aid drinkability and contribute to a clean, simple overall impression. The green apple aroma represents a slight flaw IMO, and there are no real positive aspects to balance it out.

04-01-2008 07:34:44 | More by nickfl
Goliath

2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours a pale golden/yellow color and came to me with no head. However, I know it has a thin white head.

The aroma is weak. Some sweet malt character but not much else.

Taste follows suit. There is a little sweet malt, more than other American macros. There's also a little floral hop.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate. It's a sessionable beer, but I'm not encouraged to drink many due to it's lack of flavor.

03-28-2008 01:40:50 | More by Goliath
CualityC

3.83/5  rDev +64.4%

Is there anything new to bring to this discussion? Are rhetorical questions a pour (pun definitely not intended) way of starting a review? Yes, I hope.

At one point in my life I sold the Anheuser-Busch line of products, and I remember a sales meeting where our esteemed owner/boss proudly boasted that AB brewed the finest American macro-lager...

True.

But what does that really mean? Do I have to like it or agree with it because it's the best of a style? Sure, Budweiser is almost certainly the best American Macro, but can't I disagree with the entire "tradition"?

Overall, from marketing through flavor, this beer "style" seems to b be a refusal to accept beer as an artisanal product, brewed with care for people with a discerning palate. Instead Budweiser is a nearly flavorless concoction involving malts and fermentation, that is refreshing, and absolutely boring. Shouldn't I just drink water, I don't need to be drunk that bad.

To place this in perspective, some people say that people should accept any cultural tradition and not pass judgement on it. However, I hold that it is possible to condemn reprehensible traditions no matter who purports it. Budweiser is one such tradition.

03-27-2008 04:45:34 | More by CualityC
Kemmerlin

Colorado

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Back in college I remember this beer being the king of beers and thought it was pretty good so I had some hope it would still be good. Unfortunately I was wrong. I almost puked after my first sip.

A: Straw yellow with no head but I have seen it with decent sticky head when poured hard.

S: Smelled light and faint of cheap malts and no hops kinda reminded me of a bathroom.

T: It actually tasted like it smelled and that was of pee. And the taste after the first sip would not leave my mouth. It was also sour almost like it was skunked but I doubt it was.

M/D: Watery feel with high carbonation like a soda. Not drinkable and should not be drank if you know what is good for you. Definitely good for beer pong though.

03-19-2008 16:45:08 | More by Kemmerlin
bgramer

Washington

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

How can I write about this beer without coming across as a beer snob?

I don't hate Budweiser, but with it's general availability, I'd drink it only as a last resort. We've all had it, it's impossible to avoid its marketing prowess.

It's very light in color which shows how water-ey it can be. There isn't much of an aroma to this beer, nor taste... just watery in your mouth with high carbonation.

Would I recommend it? No. Would I drink it? Only as an absolute last resort if nothing else is available where I am, such as a sporting event. Beer is better than no beer.

03-11-2008 20:08:47 | More by bgramer
jpinkard

1.23/5  rDev -47.2%

Well, I don't think they can really call this beer considering all the preservatives and the rice in it but...here it goes

Appearence: Very light in color, almost see through, maybe water with a little yellow dye in it. Quite a bit of head actually

Smell: Not much of a smell, hard to describe skunky but dry if that makes sense

Taste: Well, not much of a taste, very watery, sits in your mouth for a while but your not sure if you want it there

Mouthfeel: Very watery, highly carbonated in cans.

Drinkablility: A last resort beer, like if you go to an afterparty and they have a 30 pack in the fridge you might have to drink one against your will...we've all been there

03-08-2008 03:10:48 | More by jpinkard
largadeer

Appearance - Very pale gold, crystal clear. The fizzy head falls flat pretty quickly.

Smell - Grainy, sweet, very mild. Difficult to pick out any distinct aromas.

Taste/mouthfeel - Mild grainy sweetness, doughy bread and a hint of vanilla. Absolutely no balancing bitterness. High carbonation, light-bodied, almost watery. Very clean finish with no aftertaste to speak of.

Notes - Not as bad as it's made out to be around here. Decidedly average, but not awful. While I'd never go out of my way to drink this, it's really not a bad brew.

02-29-2008 22:11:43 | More by largadeer
donteatpoop

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%

Their logo is pretty awesome. I guess if you're going to pee in a bottle and try to market it, you had better have some pretty eye-catching packaging. These guys have great business sense. Why waste time perfecting the taste when the bulk of the American public will swallow pretty much anything they can afford? I used to drink this when I was underage because I didn't know what I was doing other than acquiring something that would get me drunk.

02-27-2008 00:11:34 | More by donteatpoop
herefordjeep

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +69.5%

For what this beer is, a consistent staple in the American pilsner-style lager category, Anheuser-Busch has hit a bulls eye. Pours straw-yellow with exceptionally uniform and persistent lacing. Upon smell, a sour, almost always somewhat skunked version of hoppiness hits your nose, but once past, a great, clean scent of crisp pilsner can be found. Upon tasting, intense carbonation, moderate maltiness and mouthfeel can be noticed. Hoppiness is medium, and on the moderate sector in terms of spiciness. Finish is clean, with a moderate after-feel of malt syrup and carbonation. For a traditional American, mass produced pilsner-style brew, a cold Budweiser simply cannot be beat. Drinkability is exceptional, and is best in the spring and summer. A.

02-25-2008 05:21:11 | More by herefordjeep
Hoagie1973

3.38/5  rDev +45.1%

Alright people let's set the record straight here. This beer is NOT THAT BAD! I could never understand why people will bash this beer, then sit there and suck down some swill like Corona or Yuengling.
No, it's not great, but its a decent example of the style.
It's clean and crisp (like advertised), though pretty unbalanced, way to the malty side. For a beer that brags six different varieties of hops, you can barely find any on the palette, even when searching for them.
Mouthfeel is not great, what with the enormous bubbles of carbonation.
But the fact of the matter is that Bud is clean, refreshing, inoffensive, and affordable. Hey, it is what it is, but someone out there must agree with me since it's still by far and away the best selling beer in America and #2 in the world.
That being said, I think I'll go to my fridge now and grab a Sam Adams.

02-23-2008 18:05:10 | More by Hoagie1973