Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

Had this at a party and grabbed this because it was the beer with the most alcohol there. The beer poured a somewhat decent darker yellow color . The smell was just of corn and wheat. The taste was just awful.. I have never had two sips and went straight for the drain. I just dont know how I use to drink this garbage. The mouthfeel of the beer is not awful, but not good. I hated this beer so much. I just dont see how they can call themselves the "King of Beers". To me its one of the worst beers on the markets.

2.38/5  rDev +1.3%

Im just drinkin this straight out of the bottle. I have had it numerous times in a cup before as most of us probably have.

A- pale straw yellow. highly carbonated. depending on the pour decent head the falls quickly to nothing.

S-smells like some grains, cereal, a little yeast. not much else. smells sort of carbonated. nothing that makes you excited, but could be worse.

T- I taste some grains and cereal again. some yeast. very carbonated. very straight forward. sort of watery, but not to much.

MF- not much here. nothing bad, no real aftertaste. maybe a little residue but not much.

O-overall this is a decent beer to drink for its price. nothing exceptional but i wouldnt turn one down. I can enjoy drinking it but don't look forward to getting it. always a good beer for the long haul.

2.78/5  rDev +18.3%

Budweiser:  Better than expected!  I was at a charity event, and my choices were Fat Tire, Corona, Coors Light and Budweiser.  Well, I was breaking my one beer per night rule, due to the festivity of the occasion.  My first of the evening was a Fat Tire.  Given the remaining choices, what is one to do?  I have not had "The King of Beers" in well over 30 years.  The aroma was much better than expected, the color clear and golden and the head was thin, pure white, but did last and lace well.  The flavor was smooth, properly sweet with faint hop and other flavors, and a thin finish.  Overall not bad!  This is not the place to get into the state of US beer law, the power of big breweries (even without them, most sporting events and TV programs would loose a lot of funding), and all of the other reasons I should dislike Budweiser.  The product itself, the anti-micro brew, held up well in my tasting.  The enjoyment of beer can take you to the most unexpected places.

3.25/5  rDev +38.3%

24oz tall boy born on 7-9-11

pours bright clear yellow with a fizzy white head that faded to nothing in seconds

smells is very faint - pick up sweet corn

taste is on par with most other adjuncts - barely in bitterness but a little up front then sweet corn/rice on the end and in the aftertaste

mouthfeel is just what i want in this style - light body good carbonation - crisp and smooth

overall - now while i have bashed AB in the past i have to say Bud might be the true king in this style - i have had many craft lagers that are barely better then this - that being said i will have no problems ordering a Bud when in a non craft bar

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%

I didn't feel the need to pour this, as anyone who has ever had a beer, at least in the US, has seen it.

S- All adjuncts, nothing more. Corn, rice, and whatever else they put in here. Not terrible smell, not great.

T- I think it tastes most like the corn in it. Really, it's up for grabs. It's an indistinct taste like most AAJ's. Still, I think it's a solid choice for a cheaper beer, and I don't mind or especially like the taste, I'm kind of indifferent.

M- Not quite as light as water, I mean Bud Light, obviously, but close. You could pound these all night and only worry about the carbonation in your belly.

Overall, Budweiser is better than some, and worse than most. I'm having it out of a pint-sized AmeriCAN. As long as they put it in these flag cans or their new cans, I'm a sucker for marketing and will probably buy it. And yes, I know they are owned by a Belgium company, but the AmeriCANS are patriotic and great marketing.

2.45/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Sometimes Budweiser may be your only option.

Not horrible, but it is hard to believe why so many people drink this like it is the only beer on the planet.

It is just a below average beer at best. Weak on flavor, watery mouth feel for not being a light beer. It is easy to drink, but not very satisfying.

You could say this is a boring beer.

2.28/5  rDev -3%

A: Clear gold color. Big frothy fluffy white head.

S: Grainy skunky malt. Not the best smell from the king of beers.

T: Malt. Lots of malt. Grainy, tangy, bitter.

M: Watery but carbonated.

O: There's a reason I stopped drinking this after my first try. I thought I'd be fair and give it a second go, but it really doesn't hold much appeal for me, even now. It's not the worst I've had (that belongs to Tsingtao) but it's certainly nothing I'd drink unless I was in college and living off of peanuts and 1 dollar bills. In my opinion, the king of beers is a peasant.

2.65/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I work at a liquor store and got a 24oz can of this for a dollar...how can you go wrong. I haven't had this beer in forever, but even though it's not a craft beer, I'll still give it an unbiased review.

poured from 24oz can into a Kronenbourg 16oz Pilsner glass

Appearance- Very clear, pale yellow color. You can read a book through this beer. bigger bubbles in the head, which doesn't stick around. Dies down to literally no head unless I swirl it around. No lacing.

Smell- has a sweet malty adjunct smell. Bit of corn.

Taste- It's been a while since I've had a beer as light as this. Has a full flavor of sweet malt, corn, and hops. Acidic and lightly metallic. Very light on the hops, not a distint flavor, just light bitterness which mixes with the alcohol taste. It's a very simple beer; a light biscuity-corn flavor, alcohol, and hops.

Mouthfeel- thicker feel than it looks, but it's very standard.

Overall- Not disappointing, I knew what i was getting into here, but a dollar for a big can, I'll take it. I'd bring a few of these to a party, although I'd probably choose Yuengling over this. I hesitate to call it "smooth" because there are so many good beers out there that are more complex and much higher ABV that are more tasty and drinkable.

Purchased from my local 7-Eleven. Poured into a tall pint glass.

Weak golden hue, mediocre head that quickly faded.
Aroma indeterminate origin, quickly replaced with flat metallic odor.
mild to nonexistant grain taste with sligh corn overtones. Very metallic taste.
This is proper stadium beer, or building fence beer. Recommendation would be to avoid unless other alternatives rate lower.

1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured this Bud can into a Craft Pub glass.

A: translucent pale golden body with a two finger white head that exploded with carbonation and dissipated right away. No lacing.

S: metallic skunk grainy odor that ruins the experience. You're better off holding your breathing if you want to finish this beer.

T: mute grains and corn with a metallic aftertaste.

M: absurd carbonation paired with a light and watery body.

O: I find it a bit offensive that this beer has the "King of Beers" motto in its label...what is that statement based on? This beer could be a good cheap alternative for some but I would recommend to avoid it and cough a few more bucks for something better and with more taste.

1.45/5  rDev -38.3%

Thin, watery mouthfeel. Tastes carbonated and bland with an almost sweet, stale taste. I couldn't get over that strange sweetness, reminded me of the aftertaste of applesauce that has begun to ferment. I would go for just about any other mass-produced domestic over this one. I can tolerate a poor beer, but I couldn't finish this one. That's never happened to me before (yes, I am ashamed). I am simply not a fan.

3.68/5  rDev +56.6%

This is truly the Rodney Dangerfield of brews!It gets no respect. In fact, it is a decent thirst quencher that is ok for a night in the sports bar or when you are low on funds! It pours a nice clear yellow, it has no scent to speak of, it is not offensive to the taste being very neutral and has no aftertaste. Mouthfeel is sodalike, pleasant.

1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

Budweiser pours a clear pale yellow with on finger head that vanishes quickly, with no lacing to speak of. I doesn't really have too much of a smell. At most a touch of grain in the nose. This beer is just offensive tasting to me. I have to say this is the most unpleasant of the macro beers. The others are light enough to be non offensive, this one sits poorly. It has a similar mouthfeel to seltzer water with slightly less carbonation. This is a beer I would not even crack open in an emergency. I find it strange that with so little flavor, I still find it so offensive.

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

355ml can poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - One finger of fizzy white head. No retention. Pale golden yellow.

S - Musty, stale grains. Kind of like cardboard. Gross.

T - Adjunct grains. Cleaner than I expected. Very bland still.

M - Grossly over-carbonated. Thin, watery body.

D - The king of beers?

3.9/5  rDev +66%

I have to say, I was biased against Bud and other american adjuncts for awhile. But lately I have come full circle. I just recognize the value in these brews lately. They are refreshing, light, and inexpensive, and accompany a football game quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, I would choose any Sam Adams beer over this. But I can't hate this beer, for the price I think it's pretty darn good.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

We've all drank it, and I'm sure, had mixed feelings. In my opinion its not as bad as everyone says. For a macro lager made for mass consumption it has more flavor than one should expect. Typical appearance for a lager and a distinct pretzel flavor. The mouth-feel is crisp and refreshing which is it's best quality. I'm not arguing that its a great beer, just good for what it is.

1.83/5  rDev -22.1%

at barneys beanery you cant beat the $3.00 budweiser on tap special. in all reality i prefer this lager over heavyweights as heineken. pours golden yellow slight lace only knock on this domestic is the taste. enjoy it much better from tap than from a can or a bottle.

2.9/5  rDev +23.4%

"Make way, make way for the King of beers"! I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion but I'm willing to let it slide if the beer is decent. Well I've heard a lot about "Bud", some things good, most things bad, but I'm going to put the blinders on and give it a hit and tell you exactly what I find.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a 500ml Stein.

A: Clear yellow (almost high-vis!) body with a 3cm white head (I did a bit of a hard pour), that reduced fairly quickly to a thin covering.

S: There's a strong starch aroma along with sweet grain and a note of vegetable scraps. No hops could be detected.

T: A clean and crisp grain driven lager. Quite bland, but generally inoffensive (which is more than I can say for the Aussie macro lagers). The finish is slightly dry with hardly any hop bitterness. The after-taste is a little bit sour.

M: Mid to low carbonation with a watery body.

D: I'm not quite sure why Americans hate this beer so much... they obviously haven't been to or tried Australian lagers, which have all manner of crap going on. Overall this beer is bland and inoffensive, good if your taste buds need a rest but otherwise not something I would drink on a daily basis. "King of beers"? I think not, however you could do worse... much, much worse... *cough*VB*cough*.

Food match: Not much out there that wouldn't completely overpower the taste of this beer... light fare it is then: grilled chicken, with a green salad and a light dressing (light in flavour that is).

2.42/5  rDev +3%

Ok. So i'm not going to shit all over Budweiser because when it comes down to it, it is my favorite cheap beer. I must say that if I'm picking up a 30-rack for a party I always lean towards the good ol' Bud diesels over Natty or Coors; however, that is not to say that this is a particularly good beer. If i had to give it an adjective, I would say that it is a bearable beer. Far from the best, but not quite at the bottom of the pack.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

"King of Beers" eh? I call bull$hit! Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a regular lager glass. Extremely pale. Even more pale than Rolling Rock which claims to be 'extra pale'. Poured pretty aggressively, causing a 1 inch head to show up, but it fizzled away immediately. Smell was almost nothing except maybe some grain. I couldn't smell any of the 'choicest hops' or 'best barley malt' it claimed to have on the bottle. Taste was almost nothing except maybe some grain and grassiness. There's nothing horrible about it. If your goal is to get drunk, you can slam some Budweiser pretty easy. No nasty aftertaste. So it avoids getting an F.

4.4/5  rDev +87.2%

A lot of people say to me, "Come now FootballFan15, your favorite beer is Budweiser, how can your opinion be valid?" Well, the truth is that while Budweiser is a very good lager, I Can't claim it to be my favorite or say that it doesn't have any imperfections.

Initial impressions of this beer are always positive, despite its reputation, and I think that is with good reason. When poured from its very-well designed can (or bottle...if that is your thing...) it makes an impressive fizzy display in a glass or mug and has an attractive head. Anheuser-Busch is to be commended for brewing such an attractive beer.

The taste, admittedly, is where the problem is found (if, indeed, there is a problem with Budweiser). I find the flavor of Budweiser to be a bit strong, particularly compared to its superior sister brew, Bud Light. Still, Budweiser is not a beer I would turn my nose up at ever. If anything, perhaps the flavor is TO GOOD. Once Budweiser assaults my palette with its own irresistible charm, I find that it dilutes the flavor of foods that I enjoy with Bud Light such as hot dogs, chili cheese fries, and cheddar and sour cream ruffles.

Due to its affect on your palette, I recommend reserving this beer for times when you're specifically only going to be enjoying beer (without food) or after a meal has been consumed. Bud Light may be the superior beverage to consume with food but Budweiser is a delicious treat all on its own. I enthusiastically recommend this beer to all of my friends and suggest it here too. Despite its faults, after just one sip, you'll see why Budweiser is America's premier beer.

4.18/5  rDev +77.9%

12oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very pale straw color and a white frothy head that doesn't last.

Aroma: Grainy with a very low hop aroma, almost floral with green apple.

Taste: Crisp and dry. Low hop bitterness and sweetness from more detectable malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body and highly carbonated.

Overall: A little more robust than Bud Light. Very light and refreshing beer. Fits the guidelines.

2.42/5  rDev +3%

Personally, I've helped polish off several cases of Budweiser, and I must admit, if this was the only beer left in the world, I would still help polish off some more.

The appearance of Bud is about what you'd expect, golden with bubbles and some head. Honestly, I've never really cared for the smell of Budweiser. It kind of reminds me of funk, but not overwhelmingly so. Depending on how long the beer has been in the holding vessel, the taste can be any where from acceptable to bad. If its fresh, expect the lager taste of malt and hop.

All in all, I feel that Budweiser deserves its spot in the convenient store cooler. When you're kicking it with your buds and need something readily available to get wasted on, Budweiser would be a solid choice.

1.25/5  rDev -46.8%

Not a slam but definitely avoid this beer! I don't know why there is so much popularity of it. Maybe mine was skunked or a bad batch but this was horrible at best. The look is a typical American Lager look. Taste and mouthfeel were absolutely horrid. Overall avoid this beer and go for some Coke instead.

2.98/5  rDev +26.8%

OK, I've put off this one for long enough. This is the Canadian version, though I doubt the AB knack for flavour consistency in their beers stops at national borders. Single tallboy can; pours that familiar pale straw colour topped with a lofty two-finger bone white head. Streams of bubbles zip their way to the surface. The head is mostly gone within a minute, leaving behind a thin cap. The smell is almost undetectable but I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing. Some rice adjunct, but pretty clean-smelling I guess. Tap water also usually smells pretty clean though.

This is a prototypical adjunct lager. Rice adjunct and grainy, diluted barley malts are basically the only flavours. Sorry but I can't find any hops here, although the can advertises their existence. Absolutely clean-tasting, with almost no aftertaste. Thin, watery mouthfeel with heavy soda-pop carbonation. So far this review probably hasn't seemed very favourable from an unbiased observer's perspective, but to be fair this stuff is perfectly drinkable. Maybe a little bloaty, but it's not that awful.

Caveat: I always rate to style, and for an adjunct lager, this really isn't that bad; it is closer to completely average. A little lighter on flavour than its Canadian competitors, but it probably makes up for this in drinkability. Honestly though, the only reason I bought this was to review it, and I'll probably never buy Bud again.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch