Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

Trying to make my way into the American Adjunct Lagers

There is a long history of my family of drinking good old Bud in a can, so there is some nostalgia here.

Initial hints of corn, slight faint hint of hops, barely noticeable. Nothing too offensive or appealing here in the smell.

Tastes of metallic carbonation. Bubbles fill the mouth, a little bitterness. Very refreshing, makes you want to take another sip immediately.

All in all, this is a solid brew perfect for hot summer days. Very refreshing, and unoffensive. I know AB products are looked down on here, but I actually enjoy a tall cold Bud every now and again. Bud light is my least favorite brew off all time, but I enjoy regular Bud.

Sometimes you just don't want something too complicated, and Budweiser fits the bill perfect.

JToad, May 07, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance - Poured light pale yellow with weak head.

Smell - Sweet hops.

Taste - Good hops taste. Watered down.

Mouthfeel - A little too carbonated but too watery so not lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability - Overall, I wasn't too impressed. I got what I paid for.

teejay76, May 05, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Poures pale pale yellow color,One of the clearest beers you can find. Fluffy white big bubbled heading that disapates to nothing basically. No lacing left around at all.

Smell is very sugary sweet, very subtle really nothing standing out.

Taste is of pretty much the same until the aftertaste which turns to a dank funk of some sort. Dosen't really taste much of anything except carbonated sweet water.

Mouth is very flat but once you swoosh it around a bit it turns to a mouthful of foam. Light bodied and very crisp.

Drinkability very easy going down like drinking a bubbly water.Personally I wouldn't want to drink more than a few and reap the next morning with the famous Bud headache.

I really don't think this is a horrible beer. I've had much worse.

TheFightfan1, May 04, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Born on March 16, 2009.

A: Depressingly pale. Almost like a ghost beer. Head quickly disappears.

S: Mostly sweet malt with some corn. Pretty inoffensive.

T: Where's the flavor? You really have to go out of your way to pick out anything (it's mostly corn, in any case). It's astonishingly easy to pound one back without detecting any distinct flavors at all, which is most likely what the brewers intended.

M: Watery. In fact, if I held my nose while sipping it, I'd probably be unable to distinguish it from water.

D: When I set out to review this, I was all set to sample it with an open mind and take all the BAs to task for unfairly dumping on it because of its popularity and accessibility. But after seriously examining it, I can unequivocally say that it really is that bad. If I were judging a BJCP competition and this were an entry in the Standard American Lager Category, I'd give it a gold medal. But that only makes it the tallest pygmy. If you're too old for beer pong, stay far away.

BarrelO, May 04, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

People will say this beer is good for its style, and maybe it is good for American Adjunk Lagers. However the style is a disgrace overall, and while this may be one of the best of the worst, in the grand scheme of things, it's still a really, really, ridiculously bad beer, and is the main reason why American beer gets a bad name despite the wealth of craft brews we have here.

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pale golden-yellow with a quickly dissipating white head. Looks fine for the style I guess.

S - Very unappealing aroma of grains and rice. Doubting whether I actually want to drink this.

T - Ok, I caved and drank it! The smell does not mislead. The taste is bland - rice syrup and maybe a little bit of barley malt. Hops? Not a chance. Sweet, unpleasant, and one-dimensional flavor.

M - Three letters (well one's a number): H-2-O. The final gravity of this must have been 1.0001. It's just like swigging out of a bottle of Perrier, except without that nice citrusy taste.

D - Sure, it's fairly drinkable in that it's like water, but the many off-putting characteristics of this beer make you really think twice about getting another after it's done.

If this beer is the "king of beers," then Don King is the king of dons and Burger King is the king of burgers. Back to real beers for me.

nickd717, Apr 24, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +41.6%

pale straw color with a very soft and light foamy head, that leaves pretty quickly, leaving no trace behind. be careful, if served a bud more than one minute after its poured, you may be fooled into believing it never even had a head.

the smell is faint as hell, but i cant but enjoy the crisp clean smell of a bud.

the taste merely mocks the smell, not really anything other than a ricey crisp, clean taste. with some barley malts on top of that are mostly present in its funny light alcohol taste.

drinking a bud can be like a disappearing act in your mouth. the body so light, and the carbonation so heavy, that its almost gone as soon as it gets there.

dont hate the player, hate the game. just because its the most popular macro doesnt make it a horrible beer. in fact, its pretty consistent and theres really not many bad elements to complain about from a bud. but ofcourse it is hard to complain about things that dont exist, and in so many areas, bud is just not there. nonetheless, a clean, crisp refreshing brew.

mjw06, Apr 22, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

Like everyone else, I have had this beer in every possible way it is to have. Sure, it is not the most flavorful, colorful or have an outstanding appearance. What it is is consistent. No matter where you have a Budweiser you know exactly what you are going to get. And they take quality VERY serious.

Wheelinb, Apr 22, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

G: Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pale and straw-colored, with quite a bit of white head. Head retention is not high.

S: Mostly grainy, although my nose tells me that there are some hops in there somewhere.

T: Pretty good tasting for the style. There is some malt; certainly more than is typical of the style. The residual adjunct is there of course.

M: Light mouthfeel, although pretty heavy for an adjunct. Decent amount of carbonation--not severely over-carbonated like Bud Light.

D: As far as I'm concerned, by far the best of the macros, which doesn't say much. Luckily there's Yuengling on the East Coast for desperate situations.

Thorpe429, Apr 21, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

12 oz bottle, did not notice the freshness date but it was fresh.
Appears light yellow in color with a bit of foam.
Smells of a lager, plain and simple.
Flavor was not at all offensive, light body of malt and a sweet rice character. Just a slight amount of hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is impeccably smooth and crisp.
Drinkable, it is. Not a bad option at all on a warm day or at a sports game.

Stinkypuss, Apr 19, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +99.6%

ok, let everyone remember that this is an american light adjunct lager, and that is what i am reviewing it as.
if anyone can find a better example of the style, please, let me know.
A- pours extremely pale yellow color. bursting with carbonation. low head retention.
S- smells like, well, budweiser. corn and Co2
T- light and refreshing, this beer is perfectly balanced with absolutely no off flavors. impressive considering the color and body.
M-extremely dry and prickly on the tongue. quite refreshing.
D- you know this beer. you now how drinkable it is.

i almost never buy this beer, but when i do, i am never disappointed. it is exactly the same overtime. it would go great with just about any meal.

this beer gets far less credit than it should on BA.

01121987, Apr 19, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into an imperial pint.

Pours a light, pa;e straw with impressive clarity and a short lived, extremely bubbly half finger head. No cap or lacing.

Aroma is of floral hops....weird. As weak as they are they are the upfront aroma. No other aromas can be pulled from the beer.

Taste is light roasted malt and floral hops. Front is cold and pretty much like a malt and hops ice tea. Middle is the same and the finish is pretty much the same.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, not much here but water and fizzy carbonation.

I'm through giving opinions on adjunct flavors. Unless I have the grain bill in my hand. Because, I have had pils and dort exports that taste WAY more like corn than this. However, they have WAY more flavor than this.

wheatyweiss, Apr 19, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +66.5%

16 oz can poured into my Budweiser promo imperial pint glass, seemed only appropriate. Date on can is 22 Jan 09.

A: Heavy carbonation produces a snow white one-finger head that falls quickly. Bubbles continue to rise and keep a very thin patchy head on top. Extremely pale yellow, and crystal clear.

S: I'm pretty sure I can actually smell the CO2 that's being expelled, underneath a corny grain aroma (even though this is brewed with rice) and a faint smell of noble hops. Pretty bland.

T: Clean graininess that isn't at all sweet or malty, with a subtle hop character. An apple-y ester and just a hint of alcohol twang in the aftertaste.

M: Somewhat overcarbonated for my tastes, but very thin and smooth.

D: Extremely high, obviously. Nothing outstanding about it, but this beer is virtually flawless.

Note that I've taken the liberty of reviewing this as an "American Adjunct Lager" rather than as an IPA, as some others seem to enjoy doing. It is a world-class example of its style.

a10t2, Apr 18, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

its been ages for me since i had a big three beer. so i decide on last run to the six pack to pick up a pack of bud. no real lacing, very pale in appearance. a can smell a bit of the barley but not much. a very unnoticeable in taste ,but it is drinkable.
i decide to be fair an try this beer, for me is another one to add to the list of lawn mower beers.

Dodt, Apr 16, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +23.6%

This was actually my first one of these. I bought a sixer because I wanted something wouldn't overpower the taste of my dinner and all I had at home were DIPA's and RIS'. Very pale yellow, strawlike. Minimal head from a hard pour. Smells of strong grains, very indistinguishable. Not offensive, but not very good either. The taste was exactly what I wanted, went very nicely with some italian chicken. There was a nice sweetness, when cold a slight refreshing bitterness. Very light on the tongue. Ended up drinking four of the six that night. Obviously, high drinkability here.

Would I reach for one of these when I really want a good beer, no; would I reach for one of these when I want a beer, yes.

youngblood, Apr 15, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

of course this is one of our old standards, and one of the first beers most americans drink, and say what you will about it, this macro-brew (as bland as it is) is mellow, smooth, refreshing, and, for it's lack of flavor, brings a fairly high ABV compaired to other U.S. macro-brews.
A: crystal clear pale yellow
S: kind of sweet, but not much there
T: bready sweet with the faintest hint of hopps
M: a bit like club soda
D: it would be very easy to knock out a pitcher of Bud with out noticing, but it leaves quite a bit wanting

lonestar1836, Apr 13, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +17.2%

To be honest, I'd never had this until today. I'd never wanted to. This does blow Bud Light out of the water and I'm surprised that it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The color is a clear, very pale yellow-amber. The head actually poured a little more heavily than I would have thought, though it didn't stick around. There's not much lacing to speak of. It does look better than any light I've ever had, though (excepting Sam Adams and perhaps Leinie's).
I had this at a blind tasting (meant to throw us off) and immediately knew from smelling it that it was an adjunct. If you strain, you can just detect light hops and malt in the aroma. Firstly, though, and most strongly, I immediately smelled the corn husk and rice. I was surprised to detect citrus or crisp apple/pear notes, however.
The taste is very much true to the flavor. A crisp apple/pear follow corn husk and rice with light notes of hops and malts. It is what it is.
The mouthfeel really is very crisp and clean, though a little slick as well. The body is light, as expected, and thin but not as watery as a light beer. It actually isn't too far off the mark.
All in all, while I would never consider drinking a BMC light, I may actually take one of these if it was handed to me.

Brenden, Apr 12, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Straw, minimal head.

Smells like rice and barley... hmmm just like the bottle says.

Tastes the same with the ever-slightest touch of hops. Mostly barley flavor here.

Crisp and pretty refreshing.

Goes down very easy.

It is what it is. An average beer, always available, and at an affordable price. When I have to go macro, I go Budweiser.

Vonerichs, Apr 09, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +3%

I approached this beer with an open mind. It's my father-in-laws mainstay. It's all he has in his refrigerator when I visit. It pours a pallid gold and the aroma of rice and corn smack you in the face. I know the can said there were hops in the beer but I couldn't taste or smell them (probably b/c of my penchant for HopDevil and DFH 90 min IPA. Mouthfeel was like sandpaper without any head to hold the carbonation in. It was like drinking seltzer. Drinkability, well, I couldn't finish the 12 oz can. I could only stomach 6 oz.

Best way to describe this beer, Victory Beer to reference Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four...

hokies1999, Apr 09, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +20.2%

12oz fresh can into a kitchen glass.

A- Out of the can, bud has a straw yellow color with a loose fizzy white head that bounced with the quickness. Some foam tries to stick to the glass but fails.

S- Not much of a smell except grains and a scent that resembles earthy hops but not quite, perhaps that is the beechwood aging? Some corn as well.

T- Like a light macro lager from America except this one is more drinkable. A crisp burst from the beechwood aging is what is most apparent, but some barley and tame malts are here as well.

M- Light and thin, almost like water with some apparent carbonation as well. Not a lot of flavor is within but this one is aimed more at being refreshing and succeeds there.

D- I like this out of a can better than from the tap and I can drink a few. Light on alcohol and flavors make for a simple refreshing drink year round and especially in the summer. This one beats out the other macro products simply cause I can stand to drink it at times, out of a can though.

BARFLYB, Apr 09, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +67.4%

A: This beer pours a pale, yellow color with a white creamy head initially. The head quickly fades to a thin lace that does persist throughout the drink.

S: Very clean, yeasty, some corn, almost sweet-smelling.

M: Smooth, high carbonation, but not offensive like some other mass produced beers

T: Tastes good actually. Somewhat sweet with a very slight hint of hop bitterness and alcohol on the finish. Nothing objectionable.

D: Very drinkable, it is what is says it is, that being the beer that the typical American beer drinker is looking for. It won't win any competitions, but I'll be drinking more in the future.

pharmer, Apr 04, 2009

Yeasty fresh bread smell, not a lot of taste but very clean and consistently good. Goes well with food or in quantity as refreshment.
The big thing about Budweiser is the yeast smell- the yeast is descended from the original culture first used by Adolphus Busch in 1876.
Next, the freshness and purity of Budweiser are noteworthy. I think the rice does give it a lighter appearance, brighter taste and clean finish. The beechwood chips afford more area for the yeast to rest on, and flocculation occurs more quickly in the maturation tanks.
Budweiser introduced the born on date, and they are genuinely committed to producing a quality product. Too bad they sold out to In Bev.

lanechaffin, Apr 04, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +45.1%

A: Pours a very pale straw yellow with a fizzy soda pop huge pure white head. Head dies down fast but holds a decent amount with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet grain, hay, mild sweet grassy hops. Quite sweet, which I suspect covers up other flaws that are hidden behind it.

T: Malty and sweet grains is the primary flavor with a non-distinct hops bitterness in the background. I find the bitterness quite pleasant in this, but the sweetness is a bit of a turnoff. The packaging claims "perfect" balance but this is too sweet with not enough hops complexity. The balance here is that is has pluses and minuses. The one thing it has going for it is very little off-flavors, and so I call this a good adjunct lager.

M: Light, fizzy and tingly. If drank quickly not a lot of flavor just bubbles.

D: Ah, drinkability. For some reason I saw this in a commercial. While the taste is not perfect, I'll be damned if I didn't just drink a few of these things working on the review. Easy to drink, nothing very strong or flavorful here, but not exactly water either. Nowhere near among my top preferences for a session beer, but easy drinking. I have to say this of course is an adjunct lager and I have to scoff at the BA member overall score of a D+... this is not a "great American" beer but is decent enough. And for the record I am not one of those noveau BMC apologists that populate BA recently. I offer no excuses of "quality control" just an honest opinion that this beer will not kill your children.

vacax, Apr 02, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It might not be the worlds greatest beer, but it certainly does the trick. On long hot summer days I can't think of a better way to relax than with a nice cold budweiser. It's highly drinkable and it tastes better than the other American macros. If you don't feel like spending a whole lot of money on imports this is a solid choice.

yankiac, Apr 01, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a golden body with a large white head. Smell is very malty with strong grain and some hops. Taste is about the same but has more boldness than I expected. Mouthfeel is standard. well carbonated and as drinkable as any other beer of the style but still better tasting than most.

AdmiralDiaz, Apr 01, 2009
2.33/5  rDev 0%

this beer is not my favorite.. looks like pee its very yellow ..light head..not impressed.. smells of lil grain, rice and thats about it nothing to go wow over.. taste is average like any other beer out there on mainstream.. bnut it doese give you a nasty headache in the morning

njthebestofme, Mar 31, 2009