Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Soft light enough in the nose where rice is felt, as so often in American adjunct lagers. Quite mild in flavor, supported by a slight hop and not really exceptional. It offers a mouth where the average bitterness sounds a bit artificial when it is not simply non-existent, there is a small taste of the flavors of rice, but unfortunately no real appetite.

ThaCreep, Jul 27, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from 12oz can into 23oz NY Mets branded pilsner. "Born on" Dec. 15, 2008- maybe this one should be checking into a geriatric facility rather than my glass!

Appearance: Clear, very pale golden color with a large white head that dissipates fairly quickly but still leaves a respectable lace. A lot of bubbles rising from the bottom and a lot more sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Sweet corn, along with some grains. A strange, candy-like sweetness.

Taste: Candy sweetness throughout with a hint of hops toward the end. Sweet corn and some grains, as well.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with crisp carbonation and a refreshing finish.

Drinkability: This one tasted a bit too sweet, and I suspect that it's too old. Still, Budweiser is an alright macro beer and extremely drinkable. Far from a first choice, I don't mind getting this one from time to time for get togethers or just for the hell of it- it is what it is.

Mosstrooper, Jul 27, 2010
2.42/5  rDev +3.4%

about 40 degree F into a pilsner glass
A- clear pale yellow. Rapidly dissipating head

S- slight hint of citrus

T- hint of lemon and corn flavor.

M- very watery

D- might as well drink a water with lemon in it. Go to any restaurant and they'll give you water with lemon for free. I don't know why anyone would even drop a dime on this.

aahynick, Jul 23, 2010

I feel that this beer is worthy of respect but it is repellingly boring. When most individuals think of beer they think of Bud. This is the original and any beer drinker should have a sip of Budweiser. You won't be that impressed but you'll be happy to know that your beer tasting can only get better.

newcastleme, Jul 22, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +35.9%

This is my first review on BA, since I just turned 21 last August I am still kinda new to the world of beer but have had updwards of 60 or so beer, but decided to do this one because I have had a lot of it.

Pours a "cat piss" yellow with a decent head which dissipates quickly. At first sip it taste like most pilsner style lagers. Has some sweetness, with moderate carbonation. It has some mild bitterness but nothing like an IPA. Overall this beer is not for the appreciative crowd and more for watching football, eating crawfish, or something to play beer pong with.

92jAKe47FS, Jul 21, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -9%

This was America's beer before its lighter brother displaced it. It is a light yellow beer with a yeasty smell with hints of metal. The taste is overall of its principle ingredient rice. It is crisp to the tongue and leaves a slightly malty overtone as the aftertaste. See my review for Bud Light. It is made for the American working man at a middle pricing range. Great commercials but poor product overall.

bigrzman, Jul 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +65.8%

his lager should be appreciated for what it is...a clean, crisp, refreshing, brew that appeals to the masses and can be drank whenever and wherever. there are many other much better lagers and ales that appeal to those of us with discerning tastes and appreciation for REALLY good beer. but after a day of construction work in the sweltering summer heat, nothing beats an ice cold budweiser. just as during the shortest and coldest of days in winter sitting in my favorite pub, a pint of stout, porter or doppel bock is just what the doctor ordered.

rowey77, Jul 15, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +48.7%

This is completely reviewed per the style!!

Had this on vacation--- recorded notes into my iphone and I am typing them up now. Central MO isn't known for its craft beer selection-- had a shit beer showdown one night...

Pours a (slightly darker than other macros) pale gold color with a white head. Some lacing. Retention is respectable. Head is composed of fine tight bubbles. Very clear beer here.

Smell has some sweetness up front-- and a little bit of generic German hop-- floral.
Taste follows nose-- really surprisingly sweet up front with a touch of bitterness. Not overpowering bitterness, just enough to kind of let you know you are holding a beer.
Finishes crisp and clean. A little corn sweetness.
As far as it goes- I've had worse.
Medium body for the style-- good carbonation level.
Drinkability is gonna have to be decent here-- If I were forced to pick a macro, this would be it.

AleWatcher, Jul 14, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +6%

I had this beer over at my in-laws.

A - Clear, straw, yellow. 1 inch of frothy white head.

S - Dominate smell of corn, slightly sweet.

T - Again the corn dominates. Slight malty flavor as well.

M - Decent carbonation, especially good on a hot day.

D - I really didn't want another.

LuthersMug, Jul 12, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +29.5%

Budweiser. I had every form this every came in but I chose On-Tap because its what form I usually get it in cause I go to the bar and rarely buy this.

A: Its very foamy when poured and it takes a while for the head to settle and when it does it looks like cat pee

S: Hoppy to say the least. If you smell this when warm then you will probably gag.

T: Depends on the mood and day for me. Usually its my go to cheap beer when I am eating out or at the pub but there is days the taste of this makes me gag. Dont taste when warm!

M: Crisp and very light. Good combo.

D: Its drinkable. But there is a lot better options out there. This is the "fit in with the crowd", "This taste so good after a long hot day" or "I don't know what you serve here so I will take a mug of Bud" type of beer.

GNR4life2, Jul 09, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +41%

Anheuser-Busch: Budweiser ("Born on": 05/07/10) (Tasted: 07/06/10)
12 oz. bottle, poured into a dimple mug.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear straw colored beer with an ok head of foam that doesn't last for too long, scant lacing.
Odor: Vague malty sweetness, slightly corny, steely background.
Consistency: Light body with a big, flowing effervescence, very clean, almost creamy.
Flavor: Not much! Lemony hops lead off into soft raw-ish grain sweetness, doughy yeast comes out in the finish.

Holding this beer up against any style of beer, even the lightest all-barley lagers out there, is unfair. For what Budweiser is, it is good. For my money, I will likely reach for something cheaper when in the market for this style.

Walken, Jul 06, 2010

Appearance- Pale gold with a substantial head that quickly fades away. No lacing but a significant amount of carbonation bubbles.

Smell- Slightly sweet smell of rice and under-roasted corn.

Taste- Cereal grains of rice and barley, finished by a slightly metallic, dry taste. Hardly any hops at all.

Mouthfeel- Somewhat thin but bubbly.

Drinkability- Everything about this beer is average. It's not particularly good, but it's not bottom-shelf either. If you want to drink a lot but avoid being labeled as a light-beer-drinking-pansy-ass, then Budweiser would work for you.

jporf911, Jul 02, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +18.8%

Budweiser, the King of Hangovers. Something is not right with this beer, additive-wise, I suspect. Every time in my youthful past when I can remember getting drunk on this stuff I had horrible, brain squeezing hangovers. It's not total swill, but pretty close. The color, mouthfeel, and body are solid average. The flavor is sweet and salty, like Beer Nuts in liquid form. A bit of burnt, malty caramel and really no hint of hops at all. Sometimes you just end up drinking one of these, but you always ask yourself, "Why?'

MNJR, Jul 02, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -9%

Served in a dimpled stein.

A- Pale yellow, though doesn't seem as pale as other adjuncts. Aggressive pour brings forth a rather impressive bright white foamy head that quickly fades to nothing; wispy tracings left. Quite lively with lots of carbonation bubbles streaming.

S- Sweeter barely and rice smell. Less heavy on the corn husk adjuncts, mercifully. To be honest, this does not smell as bad as people like to shriek about. Thought not great by a long shot; weak, sour and cheap.

T- Light and weak. Almost no flavor, actually, which is probably why it's so popular. Dry tastes of rice in the finish. Hardly any discernible hops. Jesus, I'd almost rather bad flavors than no flavors!

M- Awful, of course. Seltzer water.

D- Hardly something I would drink on purpose. It is what it is.

Big ups to beefytits below me!

SamN, Jul 02, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -18.8%

I grew up on budweiser. I grew up getting drunk, a lot. But this beer just doesn't cut it anymore. It looks like beer.... it tastes like, alcoholic nothingness. Dismal taste bud stimulation. Absence of hops. I can't believe this is the "heavy" beer as appose to the "budlight". I am glad America no longer owns this company. It was embarrassing.

mlazzaro, Jun 25, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Ice-cold man can, poured into a shaker pint.

Bright gold body with a finger's worth of fizzy white head that disappears within about 30 seconds, leaving a sad little skim behind. Visible carbonation gently streams up. Zero lacing.

Smells "clean" in that it doesn't smell like a whole helluva lot at all. A bit of corn and apple sweetness, a bit of husky grain a hint of alcohol. That's about it.

Carbonation is moderate, just fizzy enough to keep the sweetness from becoming sickly. Taste is remiscent of cooked corn with golden delicious apple. (To clarify, I'm talking about a variety of apple; this beer ain't delicious). Some rice and cereal grains. Finishes mercifully crisp with a metallic tang. I'm certainly not above enjoying a union-made brew, but something about Bud just doesn't agree with me. Don't know if it's the 'beechwood aging' or something else, but I just don't dig the flavor profile.

Highly recommended... that you drink it as cold and fast as possible, if you find yourself in a position to drink it at all.

PDXHops, Jun 23, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +31.6%

I would never have called this beer if i had to judge it compared to real beer, but it is not as bad as its rep portrays it.

A - Yellow, clear, headless.
S - Very little
T - When I tasted it I thought is this sweet? I didn't mind that but it's not really beer.
M - Weak and watery
D- Easy to drink, cheap for an import, totally uninteresting though.

philphilphil, Jun 19, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +18.8%

Looked like a typical Big Brew lager. Nothing special.

Smelled like a frat house the day after a kegger. It just doesn't smell good. Almost sour.

The taste was a huge surprise. I haven't had a Bud in a long time, but I certainly don't remember it tasting this good (or at least this benign considering what I thought it would taste like). Malty with a soft, sweet aftertaste. This really isn't too bad.

Mouthfeel isn't unpleasant either. A little weak, but not overly carbonated.

This is a pretty drinkable beer. I previously said that Coor Light was the best of the Big Brew beers--the kind you drink to get drunk rather than to enjoy. I'll hold to that, but I'll say if you need to get a Big Brew to drink, this might be the one to get!

Kooz, Jun 15, 2010
2.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Had a few cans left over from a work assignment and decided I should review one. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. It's really one of the worst looking beers I've tried certainly doesn't look like a "king" of any magnitude. Pale yellow that you can see straight through. There is a bubbly and fizzy head that goes away extreamly quickly, probably faster than any other beer I've had, includig Bud Light. There isn't much of a smell to it and what you can smell isn't that good. Smells like it's cheap and skunked. Despite not looking or smelling good, the taste isn't the worst thing in the world. It's certainly not a style that I'm a fan of but I'd say it's pretty average for an American Adjunct Lager. Has a grainy taste with maybe some rice, nothing about it is strong though, like the smell it tastes a little cheap, I wouldn't say they exactly use high quality ingredients. The moutnhfeel isn't that great, feels a bit watered down, not that drinkable either. No matter how hard they try, I can never consider this the "King of Beers" it's just too weak. It also makes me dissapointed to hear that this is the self proclaimed "Great American Lager" it's just a macro beer with great marketing and they got the mainstream to enjoy it. Good for them, but it's not for me.

AndyAvalanche, Jun 05, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It's funny how there are people who drink Budweiser and nothing else but Budweiser. I am not one of these people. I'll drink it if it's the only choice, but i can think of dozens of better beers.

I think of Budweiser more as a piece of Americana, which it really is if you look at the history. Too bad it's not even American owned anymore.

The color is what you would expect, not dark at all, and you could almost mistake it for a light beer. Depending on how much you've been drinking, I would say the same about the taste. I can tell the difference between Bud and Bud Light, but it's sorta how I can tell the difference between water and ice water.

Overall, I will say that this beer is beer. It's nothing to jump about, but it's got something to offer.

kneeland, May 29, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -18.8%

I dislike Bud and Bud light, but I like Bud more than Bud Light. Bud at least has some "beer" taste, not much but some. I have had this many times, I am not a fan. I will actually drink this, whereas, I wont even touch Bud Light. overall, not good. tastes chalky, but hey its the "king of beer".

cbmatt, May 28, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +53%

When you read reviews from people who rate this a D+ or below, with comments like "Tastes like ASS", one has to factor the deficient intellect of reviewers who just like to bash a beer. As far as clean, easy drinking macros go, this is a contender. Actually, it elicits a less offensive experience, than, say, Heineken, or even Labatt's Blue, which, in my estimation, were decent beers in the '80s, before their recipe was degraded.

Given the thin body, Bud has a robust alcohol content. Thankfully, the cloying, corn syrup sweetness that pervades most macros is non existent here, and I was watching for it. The brewmasters at AB avoid this problem; kudos to them.

Malt is not the predominant taste; rice might be the main ingredient. "Hops", in the noble or northwest sense, are not present so much as a finishing bitterness is; and it's not a harsh bitterness.

Bud is something to try when you cannot find a decent pilsner on the shelf, or when you need a break from Becks or Urquell (if only to be reminded how good those macros are).

sudz42, May 25, 2010
2.9/5  rDev +23.9%

Truly an American Classic. While it might not be as sophisticated as some of the other beers reviewed on this site, it deserves its respect.

My dad always drinks this beer when its BBQ time. And while I don't drink it often, it does compliment cook-out food quite well.

Giaach, May 25, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured one of these at my buddy's house.

A. Pours a clear urine-colored yellow with a white head that disappears immediately.
S. Smells of corn and chemicals.
T. Taste hits the smell dead-on. I was impressed to see how well the smell reflected the taste.
M. Very thin body with a high level of carbonation.
D. This is only drinkable out of the can/bottle served super cold to cover up any discernible characteristics. Even then, I would grab for another macro lager before this.

BeerAndBourbon, May 25, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +34.6%

I'm doing a review of the great american lager, as it says on the can. It's probably the most popular beer in The US. I picked up a 24 oz can at the gas station.

The beer looks decent in a pilsner glass. It has a better head than most macro lagers. And it has a nice golden color. The beer smells like cereal, but I can also smell hops. The taste is refreshing. I can actually taste the hops! And it does not taste like cooked grains. It feels good in the mouth. It feels creamy and not like soda water! It's a very easy beer to drink, and it has a relatively high alcohol content. It's easy to get drunk drinking Budweiser.

Budweiser has gotten a bad rep, and I do not think it is an outstanding beer. But as American macro lagers go it's a decent one.

eschbach, May 18, 2010