Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (80) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
whiplash3825

2.42/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a horrible piss-colored yellow with a quickly disappearing head... lots of carbonation.

Smells sour and grainy.

Taste - Not much to speak of... again grainy with a touch of rice... another reviewer was onto something when he/she mentioned corn flakes.

Mouthfeel is not bad; the ample carbonation helps in this regard.

Drinkability is pretty good, but only in the way you can chug a glass of water. I'd rather a beer that I want to drink a little slowly to savor the flavors. This I just want to swill so I can get it over with!

08-09-2007 19:01:28 | More by whiplash3825
KI9A

3.13/5  rDev +34.3%

Had one draft today. Bud was my favorite as young guy, until i discovered real beers.

Color of yellow water, with alot of carbonation. Head looked nice for a short while, not much lacing.

Not much smell. Not a "bad" taste, but, not great. I understand it is a top seller, but, that is mostly due to people drinking in bars, just to get drunk. Great for that, but, not so great as a beer to relax with.

08-08-2007 00:56:11 | More by KI9A
kimcgolf

2.1/5  rDev -9.9%

The King of all BMC’s. A grainy lager with grainy aroma, taste and finish. I’ve never liked Bud, and this official tasting has not changed my mind. That being said, the new bottle was GREAT.

Had this in on eof those new 16 oz., thick, insulated, red aluminum bottles. Even on a hot summer day by the pool, this bottle seemd to keep the beer cold for an exceptionally long time, which was great since I was in no hurry to finish it.

If only Bud could put a decent beer in this cool bottle!!!

08-04-2007 03:46:24 | More by kimcgolf
surlyseth

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

Brown bottle...golden hue. Bubbly! Don't hold back.
Faint grainy smell.
Taste is remarkably not bad. Crisp and refreshing. No active gag reflex like some other watery macros.
Feels like a watery domestic. Carbonated and absent in a way. Almost like I'm not drinking a beer. Too carbonated for me.
Drinkability is easy, but lack of flavor makes it tiresome. It could be difficult if it gets warm.
This beer is not terrible.

08-02-2007 04:45:15 | More by surlyseth
phishgator

2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a small lager glass. The head is a thin white head that dissipates quickly. The color is a bright straw/ golden hue. Tight carbonation and crystal clear. The aroma is a cooked corn flake and pale malt grain. There is a crisp upfront taste, but a sweet aftertaste that lingers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied. There is a slickness that is unpleasant that coats your palate and keeps that aftertaste from leaving. I drink it when there is nothing else, but if I can I will drink something else.

07-31-2007 02:53:55 | More by phishgator
eberkman

2.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Haven't had one of these in a while but a buddy left one in my fridge when he came over with a bunch of stuff he wanted to clear out of his.

Pours a very clear, pale yellow. An aggressive pour creates a one-finger white head that diminishes pretty quickly. Lots of big carbonation bubbles.

Not much to the smell -- what's there is dominated by a slightly sweet, malty smell thats' reminiscent of wet cornflakes. Perhaps a very subtle trace of hops that you'll miss if you blink an eye.

The taste was kind of like seltzer water with a little bit of a cereal undertaste. Not much of a finish. Not offensive at all, but really not much there.

The mouthfeel was fizzy and lively -- probably the beer's best feature. Certainly drinkable -- goes down pretty easily, again like seltzer. Would certainly refresh on a hot day and does a good job trying to be exactly what it is -- a mass-produced, mass-marketed beer product that's uberconsistent. Doesn't make it a good beer -- frankly I don't see the point of having one of these; for a couple of extra bucks there are lots of better choices that are just as drinkable and refreshing that won't bust your budget to any huge extent. But it is what it is.

07-31-2007 01:40:18 | More by eberkman
Brad007

Vermont

2.15/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear color with a decent head at least. Aroma is one of corn and malt, which is to be expected of the style. Taste is much of the same except that it's a little sour and leaves an interesting aftertaste of corn and malt. Nothing impressive for sure but not too bad for the style. A little sweet and syrupy as well.

07-31-2007 01:00:09 | More by Brad007
hustlesworth

4.05/5  rDev +73.8%

ahh the king of beers. my favorite example of an american marco-lager. if i'm goin out drinkin for the night, this IS my choice. i took a ride on the bud lounge bus once and took a course on how budweiser products are made and chatted up one of the brewmasters giving me insight into the world of anheuser busch.

A- clear pale straw yellow with head that's almost too perfect. it settles too fast also from the the tap leaving minimal to no lacing.

S- some faint malt, fresh barley, rice, apple, even a lil beechwood, but sadly no hops.

T- not much here, but for what it is, i'd say it's above average. grass, sweet corn, and a slight fruitiness with almost no aftertaste.

MF- clean, crisp, and watery. good level of carbonation if it's poured right, otherwise you'll be burping until the sun comes up.

D- this beer is a classic, hands down. it is cost effective, it is smooth, easy to drink, refreshing, consistant, and everything it was meant to be. though craft beers and micro brews may rise above in taste and aroma, AB did exactly what it set out to do: create a beer for the masses that will retain its american popularity forever and ever and ever.

07-30-2007 17:49:19 | More by hustlesworth
youngleo

2.23/5  rDev -4.3%

A-poured into a glass. this beer produced about a two fingered head, that disappeared very fast. The head left no lacing with just a few bubbles around the edge. The beer poured a light yellow.
S- There was very little smell. To me all AB products smell the same.
T- There really wasnt much of a taste. But it did have a slightly sweet taste to it. But nothing that would make me go out of my way to buy it.
M- It felt ok in the mouth, much the same as water. Carbonation was not overwelming.
D- If the price was right, and I was hard up for money, I still dont know if I would buy this beer. Every once in a while I will buy a AB product, and its always disapoints me. Perhaps a bottle would taste better.

07-27-2007 19:04:56 | More by youngleo
TurdFurgison

3.45/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Yankee Stadium during a beautiful July day in 2007. It was this or Miller Lite, and I absolutely loathe Miller Lite so...

Well, Budweiser wasn't as bad as I expected after my long haitus from the beverage (self-imposed, while I tried every craft beer I could find). The appearance was clear light orange-yellow, with a finely composed thin white foam. The smell was light with just a hint of malt and MAYBE hops, but so neutral it was hard to tell. Maybe most important there were no negative aromas to speak of. The flavor was a light malt with just a hint of hops at the back-end, again not negative in any way, just tailored for the masses. Not bad for a baseball game, and a damn sight better than Miller Lite if these 2 are all the selection you have (as is commonly the case).

07-22-2007 03:34:24 | More by TurdFurgison
Franchise

Oregon

3.03/5  rDev +30%

This offering from the "king of beers" pours out a pale straw color leaving a thin white lace. The aroma is really faint which is what AB is going for grain, maybe some very suttle hops and malt. The taste is clean, crisp, refreshing, nothing really exciting to the palate though again a quality AB is going for. The beer does its job refreshing, clean, solid macro lager. For the style I give it a perfect score but for my overall enjoyment it is what it is.

07-20-2007 15:41:22 | More by Franchise
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

1.48/5  rDev -36.5%

After an extended day of hard work I thought it would only be fitting to “indulge” in a hard working man’s swill. If there’s one thing Anheuser-Busch advertising has taught me it’s that Budweiser is the hard working man’s beer... (it’s also ‘the man who likes football’ beer, ‘the man who plays pranks on friends’ beer, ‘the man who parties hard’ beer, ‘the man who goes to the cottage on the long weekend’ beer, the man who etc, etc… although in all fairness to their marketing execs I believe the slogan, at least at one point, was “whatever you do, this Buds for you”. My own opinion, all clever SuperBowl ads, flashy spokes-girls and catchy commercial tunes aside – I think Bud is the beer for ‘the man who has no taste in beer’. But alas, I shall be objective and we shall put it to the test and see…

While I don’t doubt it was cold enough to drink when I got home, I was still sure to throw it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so. This 355ml can was surely contract brewed by Labatt’s, most likely in London, Ontario.

In gushing out the can and into my frozen pint glass, the beer would exactly resemble water. No colour what so ever - clear and transparent. In its reposed state, settled in the pint glass, the beer would hold only a tint (and a very minor, minor tint at that) of yellow shade. This very well may be the lightest coloured beer I’ve ever seen. It is literally only a shade or two deeper than water – maybe. Some white head fizzled, but it quickly disappeared. The only remotely good sign is a small collection of bubbles. Bubbles aside, it could, in all seriousness, pass for water. A weak, weak, weak appearance.

An adjunct filled aroma. It would be repulsive if it were a little stronger. As it is – cold – it stays fairly faint. But anyone who has spilt beer on themselves and been left to put up with the smell it leaves on your shirt hours later knows; anyone who has let un-rinsed empties pile up in their basement knows… The whole smell is really quite gross, adjunct filled, and well, just putrid. It’s not an aroma – it’s a stench!

The mouthfeel has a creeping carbonation, almost stinging the roof of the mouth, but finishes on a dry note. It saturates the palate with adjuncts. There is no real flavour showcased, no malt, no hops… no substance at all. I couldn’t even make up flavour if I tried to imagine it. It’s light as water but with unpleasantness where it should be quenching.

I couldn’t finish a whole can, hardly half the can - I found it gross. Sure ‘gross’ is a word I’d try to avoid using when writing a review, I realize it’s not all that descriptive or constructive, but it is only appropriate to describe my experience tonight. If this were all I knew to be beer, I simply wouldn’t drink. It’s very unfortunate that so many people are led to believe this is beer.

Macro lagers are to beer as fast food is to fine dining. I might suppose Budweiser then is the MacDonald’s… although unlike eating at the Golden Arches, I can’t say I find even any guilty pleasure in drinking this…

07-20-2007 14:46:54 | More by biegaman
Spikester

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev +33%

A very drinkable, American Pilsner-style beer. This beer is one of the few rice-based beers and it is very good. It is stronger in alcohol than most American beers so watch out. A great swilling-beer. No real character, no bad attributes either. Quite good in a fresh tapped keg. Pluses: Found everywhere.
I must add that one a hot summer day after working hard in the yard this is a very refeshing beer. My neighbor handed me an ice cold 16 ouncer one day after a few hours in the sun and boy was it good. For an everyday pour it is way too carbonated for my taste. Hops are hard to detect. Kind of like taking a good macro amber or lager and pouring about half of the glass with club soda.
Still as a macro lager it is just fine.

07-13-2007 21:48:50 | More by Spikester
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance- golden straw color, lots of bubbles, thin, white head.

Smell - Slight hint malt.

Taste - Malt with a slight taste of metal

Mouthfeel - Medium body and highly carbonated.

Drinkability - What can I say other than it is Budweiser. It's not amazing but it's not horrible. If I was at a party and this is what they had.. sure I'd drink it. Not too bad ice cold and during the hot summer months.

07-13-2007 17:43:41 | More by Beerbuddha
hckyfn9999

Missouri

2.98/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap fresh from the source after the tour. Poured into a sample glass like a typical macro; clear, pale yellow, foamy white head, not much retention. Aroma is slightly fruity and grassy. Taste is also fruity with a bit of sweet malt. Finish is crisp and clean as advertised. It is what it is and can be a refreshing beer and as far as the category it is towards the top for me.

07-12-2007 22:51:41 | More by hckyfn9999
giblet

1.9/5  rDev -18.5%

ho hum. pale color. decent carbonation and head. lil to no lace. flava...not much. not terrible because there is not much there. this can be one of the cookout/lawnmower beers. i personally wont even get it for that cuz i can find cheaper and better tasting from the smaller brewers.

the king of beers? time for anarchy!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

07-10-2007 12:20:27 | More by giblet
wcudwight

1.27/5  rDev -45.5%

I was at the concession stand of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Tea or Soda 5$, water 4$, Bud or Bud Light 1$. Honestly I wanted water, but for a buck I figured I'd have a Bud.
Appearance looks like dehydrated piss. No head, no lace.
Aroma. Spoiled canned corn.
Taste like cooked rice, canned cream corn, and some sugar.
Thin and watery in the mouth. In fact water has more viscosity. At least it was cold.
I wasted my dollar and will avoid in the future.

07-01-2007 03:43:56 | More by wcudwight
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

1.55/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I have had two versions of this beer, the Anheuser-Busch brewed version in the bars of Memphis, Tennessee, and the "brewed in Canada by Labatt under license...." I'll take the Canadian version hands down. Sadly, the Canadian version sucks too. For a beer that is as heavily advertised as it is, and sells as much as it does, the rating here says it all. This is America's finest pisswater (Labatt Blue is Canada's finest pisswater). It amazes me when I go out with friends, there is always one who orders Bud. Take a gamble people, try one of the beers on tap you've never heard of....they're great (with all due respect to Tony the Tiger). This is one of those beers I will go out of my way to avoid. Having it in your fridge is a great way to get taken off my Christmas card list!

06-29-2007 22:02:34 | More by cyrenaica
brendan13

Australia

2.45/5  rDev +5.2%

A - I've never seen a beer so light in colour. Pours a small white fluffy head from a hard pour.
S - Light sweet malt and metal.
T - Pretty much the same as the smell with a earthy aftertaste.
M - Lifeless and watery.
D - The only reason this gets an extra .5 is because you theoretically could drink 12 of these. Personally I'd rather drink 4 of something that actually has some character though.

06-28-2007 08:33:08 | More by brendan13
CJfromPhilly

16 oz can left over from an after-work cookout. Born on date 25May07. Looks like the urine sample I submitted for my last drug test, only fizzier. Very weak sweet malt aroma, very weak sweet malt flavor, very weak watery mouthfeel. Budweiser is the beer equivalent of carbon monoxide: colorless, odorless, tastelss, lethal in large doses.

06-26-2007 20:31:39 | More by CJfromPhilly
frankbro

2.25/5  rDev -3.4%

I only give it a 4 on drinkability because you can chug it like there's no tomorrow. The appearance is pale yellow like a discharge we know. The taste is thin because they use very little malt and use rice syrups to boost the alcohol, Strohs is not really good, but it's way better than Bud. Bud has an eerie similarity among all its breweries. Quality control, or what. Only drink if you have to. Compliment the host.

06-25-2007 19:38:04 | More by frankbro
musicjustintime

3.1/5  rDev +33%

I know, I know. Budweiser. Well...it's the King of Beers for SOME REASON, right?! Here goes...

It's smoother than hell....HIGHLY drinkable....and very light in flavor and mouthfeel. I think they spend more on advertising and their fancy cans than they do in the product itself, but still...a decent American classic that, I wish, wasn't going up in price like it is. I've been drinking it regularly for several years now, and I DON'T get the headaches or the poops like soooo many people have claimed to from Bud. I guess you need to suck it up, and build a tolerance to this swill??!! OR, if you have enough money to buy all the yummy micros out there...then just do that, and skip the Bud.

Again, I like Bud, and it's an American classic that is not offensive whatsoever to me, in smell OR taste, and is also very consistent in it's flavor. They make so much of this stuff, someone's drinking it!!! AND, that adds to the freshness factor, too. Very little shelflife. I really DO wish they'd lower the price...I mean, I'm sure AB can afford to sell it cheaper, but it's like $22/30-pk right now where I live. AND, for $5 less...I usually buy Miller High Life over Bud....but switch between the two when I'm running low on funds. (Which is often, I must say!)

I'll always like this beer for what it is. Don't be too harsh on the King. He's got the crown for some damn reason! (Oh, and after several of these ice cold...who the hell really cares what you're drinkin' anyway, right?!) Take care and happy sippin' my beer-lovin' friends. Ciao for now! This Bud's for you!!

06-24-2007 00:48:16 | More by musicjustintime
shadow1961

1.85/5  rDev -20.6%

Budweiser pours out a big stiff head over a clear, pale yellow brew. Carbonation
is pretty steady, but not steady enough to maintain that big soapy head for long.
The nose is corn, lager yeast, and aluminium can. The flavor is slightly sweet up
front, with a ghost of a suggestion of some kind of hop off the back end. Mouthfeel
is thin, yet also slightly oily. For best effect drink up fast- corn lagers do not gain
charm or complexity as they warm. The only positive I've noted is that the can
proclaims that the King of Beers is one of the world's biggest recyclers- probably
because it helps their bottom line. At this price point, the container is worth more
than the contents, so do recycle.

06-23-2007 21:23:42 | More by shadow1961
ncvbc

3.1/5  rDev +33%

Clear and golden. Fair amount of carbonation and thin white head. Smell is mainly of malts, somewhat grainy. The smallest hint of hops is present as well. Taste is of sweet, somewhat tart malts. More flavor than other macro lagers. Mouthfeel seems light as it should be, though too much carbonation isn't its best match. Drinkability is close to good as it is extremely light and admittedly refreshing on a hot summer day. Yep, there are plenty of other beers I'd like to drink, but this is probably near the top among macro lagers.

06-22-2007 16:27:06 | More by ncvbc
slargthorb

3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

I've been looking for an affordable 'regular' beer to soften my weekly beer bill. Pabst almost did it but so far nothing worth drinking if not my favorites ( Paulaner, Spaten, Samual Smith, anything from Anchor, etc.).
This Bud, however, is coming in with enough taste (barely!), to be the budget stretcher I've been looking for.
Most importantly, I'm not getting the 'off' tastes that make so many macros useless. I don't pick up any of the metallic that others have mentioned. There's definitely no skunk - which would totally end any consideration . And while I know they're using rice, I'm finding the flavor good enough - even enjoyable! Also, I'm tasting the alcohol in good balance.
I've enjoyed this 24 ouncer and have decided further investigation is in order.

06-22-2007 09:52:33 | More by slargthorb