Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Pale straw body with a finger of poorly retained head. It smells faintly of corn and cooked grain. It tastes mildly sweet with a hint of grass. Faint "green beer" character. It isn't offensive, it's just extremely bland. It's thin and watery with active carbonation. I would prefer something more flavourful, but I could probably have a few of these on a hot day, if offered.

mintjellie, Aug 27, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +3.9%

can poured into pint glass

I feel strange actually taking the effort to go through the reviewing process with a budweiser. Had an entire case leftover from a recent surprise birthday party so I figured I'd put it to use.

A: A clear, pale golden color. Like an unsaturated version of a better beer. Has a big carbonated head at first that doesn't disappear too quickly but after a few minutes is reduced to an incomplete film. Not really all that bad looking. Just an average beer.

S: Smells sweet with adjuncts as expected. Has very minimal hop flavors, but something is present there other than the adjuncts. Everyone knows this smell.

T: Begins with a watery flavorless wave that turns into sweetness, again from the adjunct. Then a very mild almost unnoticeable hop presence is felt.

M: A pretty smooth mouthfeel that has some density to it. Definitely better than a light beer in this regard.

D: A pretty drinkable beer with regards to easiness to consume, but after a few tastes it starts leaving a building adjunct bitterness. Not like hop flavor, just a gross bitter aftertaste.

Notes: As expected not a great beer. We've all had a bud and while I wouldn't recommend it as a beer to try for its wonderful flavor, it isn't so terrible that I can't have one or two if someone offers me one at a party or something.

dpodratsky3, Aug 26, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

I'm surprised at myself, I don't think I've ever had the original Budweiser before. Well here we go.

A: It pours a light yellow with a head that fades like that of coke poured into a glass. I couldn't be more unimpressed.

S: Smells of a grainy corn and an off sweet aroma. Boring.

Tastes like carbonated, watered down corn liquor.

M: Alka-seltzer comparible.

D: The drinkability is ok, except for a bad aftertaste left on the back of your tounge.

Bottom line: While intoxicated, this is the best beer you'll think you've ever had.

While at a Nascar event, this is the only beer you'll ever have.

While at your local grocery store, please save yourself some time and pain by avoiding Budweiser.

xtremejammn, Aug 24, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pale golden clear body with little head.
S: Fairly syrupy and metallic, not much beyond that.
T: Similar to the smell. A little bit of the maltiness comes through in the aftertaste.
M: A bit too sticky and syrupy.
D: Had easier to drink adjunct lagers.

lhaqq, Aug 23, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +32.2%

It is what it is. Going solely off the style, I've had plenty that are worse. Nice for yard work, golfing, or beer pong. Tastes the same from 1st to last. OK, that part was basically cut and pasted from my Bud Light review. I actually like the taste and smell of Bud heavy a little more. I'd rather have this than some of the pseudo micros trying to be something they are not.

alkemy, Aug 21, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -30%

A- Straw color, slight head. Nothing to write home about

S- Like most other big brewers. Slight "beer" smell.

T- Bland. Hint of rice. Doesn't really taste like beer, but certainly has more of a flavor than its light counter-part.

M- Watery.

D- If you can muster the taste in doesn't go down terribly heavy.

Overall- Its not terrible. It just doesn't have any real taste.

Steelcurtain, Aug 19, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -9.9%

Everyone on this site probably knows what this tastes like, so I'll skip all that and give my opinion.

This is what the word "beer" means to much of the United States public.

That is changing over the years, but this is still #1.

It's a weak, slightly beer flavored beverage that is cheap, easy to find, and contains alcohol.

It's not as bad as it's "Lite" brother, and I have had it to drink on occasions where there was nothing else around. I.E. on a "beer day" on my Navy ship, and when someone else had "beer detail" on a camping trip.

There is nothing remarkable about this beer except that it is so extraordinarily popular.

stonesean, Aug 17, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +38.6%

okay..reviewing this beer is kind of tough because pre BA I was a fan of this beer because it was an American Institution that was available in India, and post BA..the attitude towards this beer (BMC in general) has changed my perception, at least I would like to think so. Frankly, this beer is a above average lager, good for binging or speed drinking. Very average in terms of appearance & smell. Great drinkability and good taste, I mean there is nothing offensive about it. If you want to enjoy an ice cold beer without much want of depth, Bud's gotta be the choice.

BeerSingh, Aug 11, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -3.4%

We'll dispense with the pouring and appearance, because everyone knows what a Bud looks like. Right? Kinda like a Coors or a Keystone...and so on.

Smell is like all the other
"Big Beers". A little corn, a little straw, a lot of nothing.

Well here's where Bud takes a few tiny steps in it's own direction. Here on Long Island a Coors 24 ouncer is 99 cents. A Keystone is 99 cents. But a Bud is $1.39! (most likely the bandits at Clare Rose). A bad step. But for the 40 cents, you do get a tiny bit of hops and a squeak of "beer" flavor.

Bottom line-- If they were all 99 cents, I'd go for the Bud. (mind you, this would be the day before pay day). But in this adjunct big beer category 2% more of taste at 30% more cost means squat.

theBubba, Aug 11, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +45.1%

Appearance - There is nothing exceptional or displeasing about how this looks. It's what I expect from mass market beer. Very clear with a golden tint, goes in the same as it comes out.

Smell - Not much in the way of smell. Kind of like a frat house the day after a party. No hops or fruits or anything identifiable... just beer.

Taste - Went slightly above average on taste because this is what Budweiser is known for. Although there is nothing to stand it out from the crowd, it is smooth and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel - Nothing. Really, I mean it nothing.

Drinkability - Five for sure. This is like water that gets you drunk. I could drink this all night with out thinking about flavor or smell. This is why they sell billions of dollars worth of beer.

This will never be in the catagory of Stone or Sam Adams, but Bud is what it is and that's why they sell so much. It is sort of a base line, anything worse than this is a bad beer and anything better is an alright to good beer.

k3punk, Aug 09, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +25.8%

Pour into glass from silhouette bottle looks kinda like a bowling pin.

A: straw yellow, short lasting head

S: slight malt and hop, rice

T: light malt and hops, strong rice as it warms up

M: crisp

D: very drinkable when near frozen, gets worse as it warms up. great for hot summer day.

rootbeerman, Aug 09, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I am not a big fan, but will drink a budwieser in preference to most other mass market beers.

Bud does have some malt flavor on the front end (even through all that flavorless rice), and has a crisp dry finish.

Budwieser executes exactely what they are trying to do. Cheap, easy drinking beer.

That said I still can't give it much of a rating, as you can grab a 1000 other beers that just taste better.

njmoons, Aug 05, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

There are PLENTY of reviews for this macro so I am going to skip the details and just give my two cents really quickly.
I never liked this stuff as a youth and was content with Natty Ice and Beast (or whatever else was CHEAP) then I leaned towards Miller for a little while. For whatever reason, I now enjoy Bud more than Miller. Why? I don't know.
Let me just say that drinking more than three of these is sickening to me (that doesn't mean that I'm not a sick, twisted freak that will go ahead and do so if the situation calls for it).
Avoid when possible, but there are worse out there.

ThickestHead, Aug 05, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance- clear yellow color with small bubbles streaming slowly up the glass, very thick white head off the pour, simple yet fine appearance

Smell- I gotta be honest i pretty much smell absolutely zero at all on the nose cant pick up a thing, tried my hardest in everyway but couldnt pick up anything

Taste- water anyone with wasted calories? I tried this after some fuller flavored beers and man, where did the flavor go, nice for a shower or filling a swiming pool, not good for drinking, bland wasteful crap

Mouth- Light crisp refreshing

Drinkability- I only give this okay rating at all because water is pretty drinkable, man this is a rough one, not trying to be hard on this but you drink some good belgians and try this and you want to cry, run while you

Stunner97, Aug 03, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

I've been drinking this brew for a while now, but finally decided to do a review of it. Serving type was from a cold bottle poured into a signature Budweiser glass.

A: Clear, straw like color that seems a bit light, even for this style brew. After initial pour head seems to be alright, but fades fast with non-existent lacing. Carbonation is mild, but better when on-tap.

S: Mild, slightly hoppy with a decent maltyness. Overall aroma is weak.

T: Bitter and malty. Rather weak, even for this style. Doesn't really have any flavors, just... Well... Beerish. Malty more than anything, and not too malty at that. Still, I enjoy the taste in my mouth. It's certainly a go-to beer when you just want "A beer". Nothing extraordinary.

M: Malty, bitter, smooth, light texture fills the palate. Not overwhelming in the least bit. Mild body with a somewhat mild, watery consistency. Best if served very cold in my opinion.

D: Very good. Goes down easy and smooth. Some would say it's not a beer for drinking, but rather a beer for chugging, but that doesn't stop my from drinking and enjoying this brew. On par with every other mainstream brew of this type.

So in conclusion, if you're looking for a decent American Adjunct Lager to drink during a game, a movie, or even with dinner without breaking the bank, Budweiser might be an option to consider. If you're looking for robust flavor, aroma, and mouthfeel seek something a bit heavier and more exotic. All in all a good beer that is light and easy to drink. If you're ion college and have the cash, get this instead of Natural Ice. You're friends/party guests will thank you for it.

Platinum88, Aug 01, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +37.3%

Drinking a large 32-ounce draught from a large beer mug.

Appearance - bright yellow colour with low- to none- in the head department. Lightly carbonated with a few surface bubbles and a very thin ring of lace.

Smell - fresh, sweet aromas of corn and malt. Light scent of bread.

Taste - pretty neutral flavours of light malt. Thin corn taste with a short hoppy punctuation near the end.

Mouthfeel - pretty smooth. A little too active at first but pretty even throughout tasting.

Drinkability - with this beer drinkability is king. Easy to put away many.

DoctorStrangiato, Jul 31, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of corn, fairly mild. Taste is crisp, some malts, fairly refreshing, a touch of bitterness at the finish.. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this is a pretty mediocre offering.

tone77, Jul 28, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +39.5%

I have been to a couple Budweiser promos and I have to say that they do a good job in presenting their beer. Compared to some typical heavy micro/craft ales (which I do love, btw), Budweiser is a flavorless beer. But compared to other lagers in its class, it is actually an exceptional example of craftsmanship. The quality and consistency is excellent, and when you pour it "right down teh middle", the head retention is surprising. They served this side by side with Yuengling Lager and I was amazed by the difference. Bud doesn't have any corn in it, which gives Yuengling, and most other macros, their typical frathouse stink. What I also noticed is that Bud uses a very clean tasting yeast that leaves no hint of character. Yuengling on the other hand, had a surprisingly perceptible spicy bavarian note that I usually get from a traditional Bock (and I will admit I only managed to notice in the bland environment of a budweiser tasting). Head to head, the Yuengling actually came off as offensive, a shrewd tactic on AB's part. Cleanliness was a good thing for what I expect from Budweiser, though. Amidst the "subtelty" of the light malt and rice and barely perceptible hops, a flavorful yeast would just not fit in. If you view Budweiser as the delicate beer that it is, the result is actually a well-balanced, refreshing light lager. I wouldn't pair it with food, since it wouldn't even support a sauteed white fish, but I do enjoy it on a hot summer day, when thirst quenching is the chief concern. It is what it is.

edstirling, Jul 22, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden yellow color with a small head. The aroma is of grains with a slight hint of hops to it. The overall taste is of grain and an ever so slightly hop taste. The mouthfeel is moderate carbonation and dryer than most american adjuncts. The drinkability is higher than most in this class, you could have a couple of them.

goblue3509, Jul 22, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +15%

A- Pale yellow, no turbidity; pours with a medium head that quickly dissipates.

S- Smells like corn with a hint of hop aroma.

T- Sweet corn with some grassy notes, a slight hop bitterness.

M- Thin and overly carbonated

D- I admit, I am dissuaded by this beer largely because I root for the underdogs. It is a drinkable beer, but I prefer putting my money into something craft.

Notes: Can be refreshing on a hot summer day only if served ice-cold.

jgasparine, Jul 20, 2009
2.33/5  rDev 0%

I'm not a big fan of Budweiser but I must say that I tend to drink a lot of it as that is what tends to be offered parties. Had some most recently at my buddy's "American Lager Challenge" Beer pong tourney and must say that the beer continues to not impress. It is just bad. I guess I would drink it if water wasn't available.

VictorEHuskie, Jul 19, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

The only thing this beer has to it is Looks.

Its like the hot chick you knew in High School, by the time you get to college(start drinking it) you realize that it nothing but a facade, and one is that nice to begin with.

I truly dislike that this is what 90% of the world thinks is true beer. I know I shouldn't judge this beer because of who made it, but when you spend that much money of PAC's to keep control of the market, sorry your product is not worthy.

DwnTwnBwn, Jul 17, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

A - Very Clear- no haze.
S - Smells very lightly of hops and malts
T - Very little taste finishing with a sweet taste
M - Dry lingering Mouthfeel
D - Can pound many of these!

Typicle american beer. Not that impressed. Good beer if you are deinking all day in the sun or at an outdoor concert. other than that let the frat boys keep it!

natewells, Jul 08, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer is not awful but it is not good either. If use to be better, I think, back in the days before aluminum cans and pull up tabs. But times change and so have some folks' tastes. Beer is fizzy and gives a good head and that is about the only good quality it has.

utah44, Jul 08, 2009
1.23/5  rDev -47.2%

Disgusting. Just horrible. I would never drink that stuff again. Its piss colored water and alcohol. Smelled of adjuncts and other nasty stuff. Tasted all wrong. I never want to go near this ever again. This is certainly not the King of Beers. That would be Westvleteren 12, thank you very much.

trock355, Jul 08, 2009