Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -46.6%

Needless to say, I am not a fan of Budweiser. The beer borders on exceptional in appearance, always clear and clean looking. That is the high point of this beer though. The aroma is sour. The taste is bland. The mouthfeel is like water and the beer to me is not to be classified as drinkable.

brewski09, Nov 13, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -10.3%

My first review for Bud came at the beginning of my beer awakening, when like many early-20s beer people I took a reactionary stance against the big brands. Also, the Bud I drank really sucked.

But I've had it since, and it's not awful, so I decided to do a formal review of a bottled Bud. The bottle art--I'm sorry to say, as much as I don't like almost all of Anheuser's marketing--is classic. It's really, really hard for a label to look so simplistic while being so busy, having so many words.

The beer itself, however, does not look good. It's like sun-bleached straw.

Smells like a a yeasty adjunct. The yeast is more pronounced and pleasant than what you get out of Miller or Coors, but the adjunct isn't nice at all and the barley isn't enough to balance it.

Tastes just fine. I had this fresh at the brewery a few years ago and it tasted very good, actually, smooth as silk and almost explosively yeasty and believe it or not there was a little hop bitterness at the back end. It's impossible to expect brewery freshness, though, and this bottle wears its 62 days of age very conspicuously. It's sweet and grainy up front, very lightly bitter on the back. Not bad at all, but really not good.

What just about kills Bud, though--the reason it's a firm third behind Miller and Coors, imho--is that in spite of being so lightly flavored, it's really not all that drinkable. There is a time and a place for lawnmower beers. Ounce for ounce, I've probably drank more Grain Belt and Schlitz in the last year than I have all other beers combined. But Grain Belt and Schlitz (and Coors, and High Life, and Stroh's and PBR and Red Dog) all have more flavor than Bud, and even more importantly they aren't so damn sodapop fizzy, so they don't hurt my stomach when I drink them.

So, there. My last review was reactionary. This one is fair. It'd be damn dishonest to say this is anywhere near the worst beer in the world. But it's not very good, even for what it tries to be.

mynie, Nov 12, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -27.4%

Why the "King of Beers"? This is actually a quite poor beer. It smells like metallic, diluted corn/rice water. The taste is not much better. Way too much rice which compromises the taste (which there is little of). If you want a cheap beer in the "big 3" go with Miller High Life!

Beerbluesbiology, Nov 08, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -38.9%

I understand that this is the king of beers and one of the best selling beers in the world. That being said, I did not really care for this beer. This beer was a little too light for my taste. There wasn't a lot of body. It had very little flavor. In fact, it just tasted like tap water. The alcohol was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking beer. With out a doubt, there are better beers out there. However, if someone were to offer me a bud, I wouldn't refuse. After all, that just wouldn't be good etiquette.

PDX2LA, Nov 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +70.1%

My first beers were primarily foreign beers. That is, I never paid much attention to American ones. When I tried Budweiser, I was very impressed. I Think a lot of people on this website might be rating Bud low because they are beer snobs and know they have to because they have a reputation to uphold.

Vashtar, Nov 01, 2010
2.93/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Yellow straw color with an average size head that sticks around a bit. Minimal lacing left behind.

S: Very slight hints of malt and barley as well as grain. Not great by any means, but certainly not offensive. Just the usual adjunct lager.

T: See above. I also detected a bit of a fruity undertone, maybe apple.

M: Smooth with moderate carbonation. Light-medium mouthfeel, goes down smoothly.

D: This is a good, refreshing beer in terms of drinkability. Easy to have more than one of these.

Overall, a fair brew. Certainly doesn't live up to the name "The Great American Lager", but at the same time I don't think this deserves a horrible rating as given by some.

HockeytownBrew, Oct 29, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -17.5%

Very pale yellow in color with an off-white head that is nearly non-existent after about a minute. Lacing? Yeah right.

Sweet corn smell. Good to eat? Yes. In a beer? No thanks. Some funky grain smell also.

Grains with a bit of sweetness. A little lemony hop hit with a cheap grain finish. Corn like sweetness to it.

Somewhat smooth, but the carbonation is a bit of a mess and adds a nearly fizzy feeling.

Better than some, but not really one I look forward to ever having again in this lifetime.

jera1350, Oct 26, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +27.4%

A-pale gold, a lot of white head

S-actually not a bad smell of barley. not completely weak either. a little impressed here

T-well its weaker than the smell but still not awful, has undesirable tastes to it but its not completely terrible

M-medium carbonation, slightly smooth finish

D-well i don't like to admit it here but what the heck, i can drink this all night, i won't enjoy it as much as a real beer but whatever

AdamBear, Oct 25, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +81.6%

Its called the king of beers for a reason, its tasty, feels great, goes down easy. Its like the perfect bonfire beer, pound some of these get nice and sloppy, and play some beer pong, then make some bad decisions. then wake up and start again.

BUT ENJOY RESPONSIBLY, I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR BAD DECISIONS.

Shefus, Oct 19, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Pale yellow. Not very interesting.

S- It smells like bread to me, who smells budweiser anyways?

T- Its good, kinda like the McDonalds of beer. Its good in a pinch and consistant but pretty boring and if you have too much of it you wind up avoiding it.

D- Its average. Not the smoothest out there but goes down pretty easy.

SodoSyco, Oct 17, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -12.4%

This was the first beer I ever tried, and I drank this for years as a teenager, I guess because I just didnt know any better.

A- Straw pale yellow

S- Strange and unpleasant smell that I can't quite describe, although there were times I drank it and it smelled a little like vomit.

T- Watery, metallic, bitter, very little sweetness and once again, like the smell, there is unpleasant taste to it that I just cant quite describe.

M- Watery, carbonated.

D- Not good. I guess they might be easy enough to pound when very cold and there's nothing else to drink.

Overall this is a horrible beer. How the hell this is the most popular beer on earth is beyond me. Only way I'd drink this is if there was nothing else at a party. If there was wine or liquor, maybe I'd have some bud to end the night after getting wasted.

Derranged, Oct 16, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +1.7%

From the 24 fl. oz. can with a born on date of 17Jun10-NA96. Budweiser is consistant and that's all one really needs to say about it. Straw yellow pour with quick fizzy head. Weak aroma of grains, adjuncts, and something vaguely reminiscent of hops. The taste is generally the same. Everyone here knows that this is not a craft beer but it does help wash down some chips and dip.

puboflyons, Oct 12, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

12ox can poured into 16oz beer mug

Pours with 1-2 finger head, bubbles break up fairly fast.

Smell -not much there. corn, malt, an odd bitter odor I can't describe and don't like.

Taste's worse than it smells. you get the corn, grains, a bit of sweetness, but also an unpleasant bitter taste that linger a bit as well.

mouthfeel is thin & lite with medium+ bubbles.

Overall not a great drinkablilty brew. I actually tried and preferred bud lite to this because of it's smoother drink and lack of odd bitter flavor in the Bud?

fourplayed, Oct 12, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +10.3%

Ahhh... the beer I grew up on... Sneaking cans of this from the old man thru high school got me through...

Somehow I haven't reviewed this one in a can so I'm doing it for old times..

I ordered a pizza tonight and grabbed a sixer of this to wash it down with..

Pours a crystal clear golden with a thin fizzy white head... Lots of carbonation... Basically what a beer looks like...

Light maltiness with a touch of alcohol... Not much going on really..

Light sweet barley malts and a dirty sort of aftertaste... Man... I didn't think this one was this bad... I guess the lack of flavor hurts this one.. I don't want to be one of those people who smashes this one just because it's Bud but.... It just doesnt have much of a taste and the taste that it does have isnt that good..

OK to have with pizza or something I guess but not something I would reach for

Tilley4, Oct 04, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +34.6%

It looks like the beer they draw in cartoons. Yellow. Easy to see through too. Lots of bubbles if it's fresh, which based on the popularity, it usually is.

I really think I can smell the rice. . .

It tastes like America! Well, sort of. It's very mild to me, bitter to people who don't like beer.

It feels bubbly in your mouth. You can taste/feel the alcohol (because there isn't much else to taste).

When it's cold, it goes down easy on a hot day with some hot dogs and good friends. Plus it is cheap enough.

Probably the best part about Budweiser is the fact you know it's going to taste the same no matter where you get it, and when.

birdyone, Oct 02, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -18.8%

A- Pours a bright yellow. The head fizzes up loudly on the pour but goes away in the blink of an eye. Nothing going on here for sure.

S- Smells of corn and malt sweetness. Nothing else really.

T- The taste is corny and tinny. Real sugary and sweet.

M- Thin as water and good amount of carbonation.

D- Not really anything going on here. Its everywhere so it must be drinkable.

nrbw23, Oct 02, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -44.4%

You know it, you probably hate it (if you love real beer); Budweiser.
Pours a golden yellow color with very little head. Smells of cereal grain and booze. Tastes pretty much the same. A slight sweetness in addition to the other flavors. Mouthfeel was very thin. Drinkability is a joke.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev +23.9%

This is national Budweiser week according to my friend who is a beer rep for Anheuser Busch. I am reviewing this beer as a result. Drank straight from a bottle - no glass - as this is the most frequently used method of consumption. The beer is a light golden color with little to no head. Smells of grain with a hint of sweetness and beer for a lack of better description - this is what beer smells like. The taste is crisp and light with not much to offer. No hop flavor to speak of and a slight and ever fading malt character. This beer is easy drinking - as can be understood why its served to the masses. Not a brew I'd recommend for those seeking flavor, however this is an easy drinking beer that would not offend most - therefore leading to its obvious popularity.

AITCTKD170, Oct 02, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -9%

I really do not care for American macro brews of the adjunct lager variety so I came into this with a pretty big chip on my shoulder. I tried to be as impartial as possible, imagining as if this were the first Bud I had ever tasted, but I'm not sure if it worked.
Poured from 24oz can into pilsner glass it is clear pee yellow with a rapidly receding and really loud pure white head.
Fruity aroma of apples and grapes when the can was cracked open. The brew itself starts out smelling of weak malt and grassy cereal grains before fading into the skunky smell of wet pennies and old wine. The more I smelled it, the more I realized that it has the full aromatic profile of the dust at the bottom of a box of Lucky Charms cereal.
The taste is very weak but still rings of overly sweet cereals with the lightest hint of citrus. It is truly a one-dimensional taste that consists less of fermented grain and more of the acidic bitterness of fortified wine.
The slightly slimy mouth feel is nearly masked by the relatively high carbonation level that cuts the mucous-like feel and adds to the "drinkability."
"Drinkability," I might add is more than likely the unconscious reaction of the body to try and wash away the slime feeling with the only nearby beverage with a sensation strong enough to take the mind off the nasty feeling.

gainesvillegreg, Sep 29, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -23.1%

The King of Beers.

I stopped by my local for a six pack, picked up SN Bigfoot. When I get to the counter, they asked if I wanted a free Bud so I took them up on it.

"Born on date" of 05AUG10. Honestly, all beers should have this important bit of information.

12 oz. bottle, twist cap, served cold into a pint glass. Budweisser must be about as pale and clear as they come. Lighter than a wit beer and with perfect clarity. The frothy white head lingers a bit but settles to nothing and leaves no lace.

Aroma is very mild, slightly sweet, no hops. Corny, if that's the proper adjective.

Flavor is just plain bland. Non-descript beer best sums it up. Sweet, grainy, more corn, no real bitterness. Those "choicest hops" it claims to have, I don't get any of that in the taste.

Mouthfeel is light in body and in carbonation.

Overall, about what I expected but still a disappointment. It's just amazing how much of this stuff gets produced and consumed on a daily basis.

GilGarp, Sep 28, 2010
2.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Beer #5 in the Swill Tour 2010. It pours a clear pale jaundice topped by some healthy white suds. The nose is of puffed rice, tears, and crappy wheat. The taste is of orphans' disappointment on the days that potential parents come to browse the selection. It's just corny water. Damn. The body couldn't really be much lighter, with a light carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, this is really just corn-flavored rice-water, not really beer.

TMoney2591, Sep 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +75.2%

On-tap at Champions. At $2 a pint, you really can't go wrong.

A: The lager is a pale straw color, crystal clear with a steady stream of bubbles. A half a finger of white head accompanied the lager and was fast to exit.

S: The nose is malty sweet, pale grains with adjunct sweetness. The nose isn't crisp, light on hops, instead it sticks to the fruity malt notes.

T: Slam it all you like, but this really is the paragon of the adjunct lager style. The malts have a fruity underside that carries rice and corn in it. The flavor is chewy and crisp, refreshing despite its light body. Again the hops are noticeably absent but the beer's no frills package doesn't scream out for them. The adjunct sweetness lingers with each sip.

M: The mouthfeel is pale and inoffensive, fruity sweet at times. Seriously, this is not a bad lager.

D: At 5% I could drink the beer all day long. I'm not inclined to but in a pinch (or at $2 per pint), it's hard to pass up.

akorsak, Sep 26, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +13.2%

Served in a pint glass

Beer #6 in Swill Tour 2010

It pours an super pale golden color. The smell is of corn and rice gone wrong. This incites beer pong memories of old. There is a vomit like wheat tone to it as well. I've had this before, but I believe the ignorance that I brought to drinking it allowed me to consume it. The taste isn't all of that wonderful but at least it's smooth. The crappiness of the hops do not do it too much justice, but it is sadly drinkable so I can't say too much bad about it. Eh, it's Budweiser.

Vdubb86, Sep 26, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +41%

It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't review the "King of Beers."

Pours a grainy gold with over the top carbonation, no lace and a miniscule head. Bud's strong suit has never been its look.

Smell is rather faint. Corn, grain and tinfoil are the first things that come to mind. I'll give it credit for being less offensive than most of its type and I think the rice helps the aroma a bit.

Taste is buttery with canned corn and a light malt as backup. Conclusion is a little creamy, which may be due to the rice. It's really not too bad flavor wise and it's certainly one of the better macro lagers.

Mouthfeel is smooth until a mild burst of bitterness shows up in the conclusion. The lively carbonation or the rice may be responsible for some of the bite.

Let's be honest with ourselves here, this isn't beer genius. However, it is dependable and it certainly blows most of its brethren out of the water. If you're stuck at a party with no craft brew in sight, this is your back up.

deapokid, Sep 26, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +36.8%

From a can to a glass mug...
Pours a pale golden yellow, had a thin white head that left some good lacing.
Smells like sweet rolls with a hint of corn.
Tastes sweet and bready with a hint of wood.
Very smooth , light-medium bodied.
This is by far the best macro lager. I don't care what anybody says.

JMad, Sep 26, 2010