Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
MarkNLaura1

Louisiana

3.7/5  rDev +58.8%

A: Watery straw yellow
S: Sweet carbonated water with a hint of hoppy undertones buried way down deep in the nose.
T: Light, nearly flavorless, but strangely refreshing
M: Carbonated water
D: Easy to drink. It's about like drinking club soda.

It's probably the best of the American macro's. Kinda boring but it goes down good after mowing the lawn or while watching football. For what it is, it's probably the best there is. And at least they put it in a brown bottle.

04-06-2008 17:22:58 | More by MarkNLaura1
bltzburgh

1.23/5  rDev -47.2%

Pours light yellow with low head. Smell is a little off reminding you of your last hang over. For such a big company with many micros under its umbrella, they have done nothing to improve this beer over the years. Marketing is the only thing they have done well, but who drinks/tastes commercials...not good!.. Rather drink from a dirty stream. Not only that you wake up dried out with head ache. Not from quantity either!

04-05-2008 03:04:16 | More by bltzburgh
nickfl

2.75/5  rDev +18%

A - Pale straw color with perfect clarity. Pours with a small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lace.

S - Grainy aroma with no hop character. Some sweetness along with a distinct green apple aroma.

T - Very grainy flavor with a slight honey note from the malt. Clean, with no hops and a dry finish.

M - Light, watery body with moderate carbonation.

D - The light flavor and body aid drinkability and contribute to a clean, simple overall impression. The green apple aroma represents a slight flaw IMO, and there are no real positive aspects to balance it out.

04-01-2008 07:34:44 | More by nickfl
Goliath

2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours a pale golden/yellow color and came to me with no head. However, I know it has a thin white head.

The aroma is weak. Some sweet malt character but not much else.

Taste follows suit. There is a little sweet malt, more than other American macros. There's also a little floral hop.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate. It's a sessionable beer, but I'm not encouraged to drink many due to it's lack of flavor.

03-28-2008 01:40:50 | More by Goliath
CualityC

3.83/5  rDev +64.4%

Is there anything new to bring to this discussion? Are rhetorical questions a pour (pun definitely not intended) way of starting a review? Yes, I hope.

At one point in my life I sold the Anheuser-Busch line of products, and I remember a sales meeting where our esteemed owner/boss proudly boasted that AB brewed the finest American macro-lager...

True.

But what does that really mean? Do I have to like it or agree with it because it's the best of a style? Sure, Budweiser is almost certainly the best American Macro, but can't I disagree with the entire "tradition"?

Overall, from marketing through flavor, this beer "style" seems to b be a refusal to accept beer as an artisanal product, brewed with care for people with a discerning palate. Instead Budweiser is a nearly flavorless concoction involving malts and fermentation, that is refreshing, and absolutely boring. Shouldn't I just drink water, I don't need to be drunk that bad.

To place this in perspective, some people say that people should accept any cultural tradition and not pass judgement on it. However, I hold that it is possible to condemn reprehensible traditions no matter who purports it. Budweiser is one such tradition.

03-27-2008 04:45:34 | More by CualityC
Kemmerlin

Colorado

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Back in college I remember this beer being the king of beers and thought it was pretty good so I had some hope it would still be good. Unfortunately I was wrong. I almost puked after my first sip.

A: Straw yellow with no head but I have seen it with decent sticky head when poured hard.

S: Smelled light and faint of cheap malts and no hops kinda reminded me of a bathroom.

T: It actually tasted like it smelled and that was of pee. And the taste after the first sip would not leave my mouth. It was also sour almost like it was skunked but I doubt it was.

M/D: Watery feel with high carbonation like a soda. Not drinkable and should not be drank if you know what is good for you. Definitely good for beer pong though.

03-19-2008 16:45:08 | More by Kemmerlin
bgramer

Washington

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

How can I write about this beer without coming across as a beer snob?

I don't hate Budweiser, but with it's general availability, I'd drink it only as a last resort. We've all had it, it's impossible to avoid its marketing prowess.

It's very light in color which shows how water-ey it can be. There isn't much of an aroma to this beer, nor taste... just watery in your mouth with high carbonation.

Would I recommend it? No. Would I drink it? Only as an absolute last resort if nothing else is available where I am, such as a sporting event. Beer is better than no beer.

03-11-2008 20:08:47 | More by bgramer
jpinkard

1.23/5  rDev -47.2%

Well, I don't think they can really call this beer considering all the preservatives and the rice in it but...here it goes

Appearence: Very light in color, almost see through, maybe water with a little yellow dye in it. Quite a bit of head actually

Smell: Not much of a smell, hard to describe skunky but dry if that makes sense

Taste: Well, not much of a taste, very watery, sits in your mouth for a while but your not sure if you want it there

Mouthfeel: Very watery, highly carbonated in cans.

Drinkablility: A last resort beer, like if you go to an afterparty and they have a 30 pack in the fridge you might have to drink one against your will...we've all been there

03-08-2008 03:10:48 | More by jpinkard
largadeer

Appearance - Very pale gold, crystal clear. The fizzy head falls flat pretty quickly.

Smell - Grainy, sweet, very mild. Difficult to pick out any distinct aromas.

Taste/mouthfeel - Mild grainy sweetness, doughy bread and a hint of vanilla. Absolutely no balancing bitterness. High carbonation, light-bodied, almost watery. Very clean finish with no aftertaste to speak of.

Notes - Not as bad as it's made out to be around here. Decidedly average, but not awful. While I'd never go out of my way to drink this, it's really not a bad brew.

02-29-2008 22:11:43 | More by largadeer
donteatpoop

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%

Their logo is pretty awesome. I guess if you're going to pee in a bottle and try to market it, you had better have some pretty eye-catching packaging. These guys have great business sense. Why waste time perfecting the taste when the bulk of the American public will swallow pretty much anything they can afford? I used to drink this when I was underage because I didn't know what I was doing other than acquiring something that would get me drunk.

02-27-2008 00:11:34 | More by donteatpoop
herefordjeep

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +69.5%

For what this beer is, a consistent staple in the American pilsner-style lager category, Anheuser-Busch has hit a bulls eye. Pours straw-yellow with exceptionally uniform and persistent lacing. Upon smell, a sour, almost always somewhat skunked version of hoppiness hits your nose, but once past, a great, clean scent of crisp pilsner can be found. Upon tasting, intense carbonation, moderate maltiness and mouthfeel can be noticed. Hoppiness is medium, and on the moderate sector in terms of spiciness. Finish is clean, with a moderate after-feel of malt syrup and carbonation. For a traditional American, mass produced pilsner-style brew, a cold Budweiser simply cannot be beat. Drinkability is exceptional, and is best in the spring and summer. A.

02-25-2008 05:21:11 | More by herefordjeep
Hoagie1973

3.38/5  rDev +45.1%

Alright people let's set the record straight here. This beer is NOT THAT BAD! I could never understand why people will bash this beer, then sit there and suck down some swill like Corona or Yuengling.
No, it's not great, but its a decent example of the style.
It's clean and crisp (like advertised), though pretty unbalanced, way to the malty side. For a beer that brags six different varieties of hops, you can barely find any on the palette, even when searching for them.
Mouthfeel is not great, what with the enormous bubbles of carbonation.
But the fact of the matter is that Bud is clean, refreshing, inoffensive, and affordable. Hey, it is what it is, but someone out there must agree with me since it's still by far and away the best selling beer in America and #2 in the world.
That being said, I think I'll go to my fridge now and grab a Sam Adams.

02-23-2008 18:05:10 | More by Hoagie1973
zeff80

Missouri

2.18/5  rDev -6.4%

Had some at a recent gathering and figured it is time to review it.

A - Poured out a clear, yellow color with a good deal of carbonation and a small, fizzy white head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of grain adjuncts and slightly metallic...even though I poured it into a pint glass.

T - It tasted of corn and some faint malt. It was bitter, but not a good hoppy bitter...a bad bitter.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light-bodied beer.

D - This was a good reminder of why I don't usually drink this. I remember in years past (i.e. college days) it usually gave me headaches in the morning and not because of overcomsumption.

02-21-2008 20:49:47 | More by zeff80
BoitSansSoif

France

2.53/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Clear, golden straw. The thick head faded quickly into nothing and left no trace.

S-Faint malt, overcooked rice, trace of hops, and doughy biscuit. There was also a hint of light unidentifiable fruit, sweet honey, and lingering wet dog. I'm not so sure this was stored properly, and since it's on tap, I don't know how old it is.

T-Ricey malt w/hint of hops. The aftertaste was a little skunky. I'm not a big fan of the so-called King of Beers, but this is honestly the worse one I remember having in a long while, and it's not usually this bad. Finish was not as clean as usual.

M-The savior of this glass, the heavy carbonation, hid some of the apparent lack of freshness. Usually I would think the carbonation was a bit much, but this time it was a boon.

D-Got better with each sip as the palate adjusted itself to gradually lower standards.

02-18-2008 05:18:01 | More by BoitSansSoif
hardy008

2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance - Pale yellow with an average foamy head which disappeared quickly.
Smell - Rice, grains, not much else.
Taste - Rice and grains. not impressive, but not the worst massed produced beer I have had.
Mouthfeel - decent, light bodied, not bad for mass produced.
Drinkability - Not my favorite, but not the worst either.

02-16-2008 23:06:30 | More by hardy008
avalon07

South Carolina

1.18/5  rDev -49.4%

I was at a party recently and all they had was Bud. Didn't want to be rude, so I had one for the first time in a long time. Unlike in previous years, I had a chance to examine this inexplicably popular beer.

It has a light, golden color, with a translucent texture. Little to no head on the pour.

Kind of nasty smell; hard to describe. Some malts, but little else. Very weak.

The malt was the only thing I really tasted. Other than that, it was a watery mess.

Very little carbonation, therefore, a typically unexciting mouthfeel.

I agree with the Bros. that this is a mass-produced beer designed to please everyone who doesn't seem to care what their beer tastes like. Nevertheless, this doesn't excuse Budweiser for putting out a lame beer. It's not drinkable at all. I'd rather drink glass after glass of tap water. I'd probably get drunker off the mercury and chromium than I would with a case of Budweiser.

02-10-2008 21:35:07 | More by avalon07
BeerTaster

3.05/5  rDev +30.9%

What can I say had a can over at my uncle's house poured into a pilsner glass crystle cleer pale yellow color. The apearence was very good but the head disapeared to quick so it lost points for that. Smell not much here fant hop aroma maby green apple and grain. Taste very clean not much else no after taste. Mouthfeel a bit thin high in carbonation. Drinkability is ok you dont even know your dinking anything.

02-10-2008 17:39:52 | More by BeerTaster
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev +54.5%

A: Clear golden color. Nice thick white head, stays for a decent time
S: Like real beer, corn, malts
T: Full, great solid crisp flavor, beerrrr.
M: Crisp, smooth, slight carbonation tingle
D: Very good, so easy to keep drinking and drinking

Best location I've had this beer: San Diego, California

02-05-2008 01:43:49 | More by nrpellegrini
Matty1918

2.45/5  rDev +5.2%

The King Of Beers...

If I have to drink swill I'll usually grab Bud or Miller High Life..(Although when I go to my favorite food dive a Pabst on tap is always good too).

What can I say, this beer is exactly what you pay for. Little taste, not much color...a good swilling beer.

02-01-2008 20:38:51 | More by Matty1918
JDV

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Very light, pale-ish yellow with no head at all. Some sweet simple malt smell. Too highly carbonated on first taste. Just the mildest bit of bitterness, with malty, corn, rice-ish sweetness following in the aftertaste. Quite sweet actually, but the intense carbonation kind of strips the tongue making it hard to taste it after a while. A bit harsh on the palate. Not a great beer, obviously, but the worst part was the unusual headachy buzz this gave me. Would rather drink just about anything else.

01-31-2008 19:06:31 | More by JDV
imaguitargod

1.02/5  rDev -56.2%

This is the only beer (besides a lambic due to a sulfite allergy) that I will actually turn down even if it's offered to me for free. It's named King of Beers because most people haven't had anything other than PBR, Miller or Miller and are fooled into thinking beer should taste like this.

Unusually large head with an odor that matches the smell that their brewery produces (it smells slightly like urine and believe me, I know. I used to live close to their Los Angeles Brewery and when you drive by there, your windows better be rolled up). The taste is overly tingly because of the high carbonation and has a large amount of corn flavor. The aftertaste is not at all pleasant.

01-31-2008 16:47:57 | More by imaguitargod
Monkeypaws

1.73/5  rDev -25.8%

BUUUURRRRPPP!

Slightly yellow gaseous water. THIS is the taste of success?

Seriously, it is very pale and has very little flavor, hence the words AB uses to market it "Clean, crisp, refreshing ..." Sounds like a freshly laundered shirt more than a beer.

01-29-2008 22:14:52 | More by Monkeypaws
baseballrock

3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

The great american industrial beer. My favorite of all the major brewing company beers. Smooth and clean tasting beer. Watery compared to a mirco, but it has more taste than in other macro. Great on a hot day, out with your freinds, or at the ball game. can't complain that it is weak or anything, its not suposed to be a micro.

01-29-2008 00:27:52 | More by baseballrock
deltatauhobbit

Maine

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

Oh the King of Beers...

Pours a clear yellow color, no head, fizzy.

One thing about Budweiser is that it is consistent and is always drinkable (in the way that you can have many and never overload your taste buds).

They say it's tasteless, that's reserved for Bud Light, while this beer does have a crisp, smooth taste with loads of carbonation.

01-27-2008 23:05:33 | More by deltatauhobbit
cbleary

2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Budweiser is an interesting beer. Its a consistent beer with a clean smell and crisp taste but there us something slippery about the mouthfeel and it doesn't sit well at all in my stomach. Its like there is an strange ingredient that is only in Bud that I can't put my finger on. I can see why it is a popular beer, but it isn't for me.

01-27-2008 19:45:36 | More by cbleary