Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.16/5  rDev -8.1%

Not all the creative marketing in the world can get me to drink this beer if there are other choices. This beer gives me headaches....like champaign. The color is....surprise...golden clear with bubbles. The smell and taste are grainiy. Mouth feel is fine. Just cant handle the headaches.

2.16/5  rDev -8.1%

Most of the time guys make claims about how they never drink or have drank BMC. Well I can honestly say this is the first ever straight up Budweiser I've ever had. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for forcing me to break my life long streak. Poured from a can into a TULIP how sacrilegious is that?

A: Extra pale yellow hue. Crystal clear. About a finger of bright white head fades rather quick. Small soapy lace ring.

S: Faint sweet grain. A touch of grass clippings. Regret. Not much of a nose really.

T: Flavor is almost non existent. Light sweet grain and a hint of hops in the finish.

M: Light body with biting carbonation.

O: It is what it is. Flavorless and crisp. Thankfully this will be my last and only experience with this beer.

2.26/5  rDev -3.8%

Clear yellow body with white frothy head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of sweet adjuncts, grain and some hops. Taste is very similar to it's aroma: sweet adjunct, grain, rice, subtle hops towards the finish. A somewhat coating sugar remains on the palate. Light, fizzy body. The best of the adjunct lagers but not the end all, be all of beer that too many people believe it is.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Yellow pour, not much head, appearance is far from appetizing. Clear pale yellow. Aroma is corny.

Taste, little hop zip, lots of carbonation, feel the beechwood aging. A decent palate cleanser, it is very consistent and accomplishes what it aims to do, a light bodies lager, minimal ingredients, lots of water. Totally the kind of beer you can drink tons of (if you're a masochist kind of) and brag to people about how much 'beer' which is more water than most. . . sigh.

Better than bud light at least. But seriously, water.

2.76/5  rDev +17.4%

We have all been there. You go to a bar with some friends that are not into beer just hoping you will be able to find something better but you just have no luck. You are left in the same delimma that many before you have face: Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, etc....I normally choose to go straight for the harder stuff when faced with these choices but sometimes you have to bite the bullet, sometimes it's even a silver one but not on this night.
Pour doesn't start off that bad, light golden color with a fluffy white head. Aroma is slightly vegetal, slightly sweet and really hard to pick up. I'm able to pick up the vegetal feel even more in the taste along with that slight sweetness, no presence of hops. It certainly isn't the worst beer I've ever drank but it is far from the best either.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

330ml bottle poured in a chalice.

A: Pours the traditional adjunct later yellow-golden color. Clear. Medium bubbled white head. Small retention. No lacings left

S: Discrete smell of adjunct malts. A bit sweet. No hops

T: Very mild taste of malts. Very light hop bitterness. Disappointing

M: Extremely light body. Very watery. Medium carbonation

O: Extremely mass production tasteless adjunct lager. No soul

Poured from a can into a stein glass.

Look - pale golden/straw color, clear, with about 3 fingers of off-white foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - typical adjunct lager/cereal smell, but a little less pungent and "purer".

Taste and Mouthfeel - not a whole lot of taste, what's there is more of the "cereal" taste that adjuncts have. It tastes more like a real beer than the Bud Light version does. Texture is more on the watery side, but not too bad.

Overall - not a bad tasting beer, but it also doesn't have a strong taste of anything, but still more so than some others.

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

I had this with Mexican food at Chuy's in Dallas, TX. Nothing new here, but I figured I would review.

Light golden colour with a small white fizzy head, and no lacing. The nose was a light grass/hay with a touch of citrus and green vegetable.

The taste was clean and crackery. Just a touch of hop bitterness and a green apple note. Nothing foul, but nothing outstanding. The beer serves two purposes: To cool you down on a hot day, and to wash down food.

1.87/5  rDev -20.4%

12oz can, Nonic, '20FEB2011' on the bottom, but unclear as to whether this is a canning or best by date. I guess canning.

This is a totally clear viewing experience in a light golden urine color. There's a bone colored head on top that wasn't too shabby for a macro, though it's mostly gone now.

As for aroma, there really isn't one. This is about the most aroma neutral beer I've ever had. What I can smell is lightly sweet and metallic and I half recognize a delicate fruitiness from from a couple ales brewed with rice that I've had.

Hardly anything changes when you get some of this beer into your mouth. Again that light sweetness, but did they even use any bonafide malt? It's got a bit of metallic twang.

The mouthfeel is spot on for what it is; fully fizzy and a little like seltzer.

I've had my fair share of the king because somebody close to me will drink nothing else. I'd never gotten around to reviewing it because when I spend time with these people it's precious and I think that even though this is monstrously watered down beer, many times having a beer is about much more than the liquid.

Rating: 0.1
First had: ?

The King of Beers. The Great American Lager. The ultimate T&A TV-ad beer. Yes, crap in a bottle all the way. I give it a 0.1 because [censored for BA]. Pours light straw-yellow. Smells of metallic, stale urine and tastes about the same, with maybe some small semblance of a hop in there somewhere. Light and non-refreshing, leaving a metallic, unpleasant aftertaste. Obviously to be avoided.

1.5/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a small one finger head, the body is completely see through, yellow and lots of carbonation. The head is already gone, oh goody. Small possibility of lacing, we shall see. Overall the appearance is pretty bad, nothing good to speak of here, looks like a crappy american adjunct lager. On the nose, I get that sour adjunct lager smell, maybe some sweet malt in there somewhere, no hops to speak of. Maybe it's the fact that I've had way too many adjunct lagers recently, or maybe it's Budweiser beer, but bud and bud light have seemed especially boring on the smell and taste, like, NOTHING to them at ALL. Wow, I actually think I like bud light more, and that's hard to say, there is almost no taste here at all. I would almost venture as far as to say that they just made the same beer and slapped two different labels on it. I mean I get that sour adjunct taste, and some malt, and that's it, the rest is water. Yeah, there is just nothing else to this beer, pretty weak beer. Is it easy to drink? Yes. Is it the worst flavor ever? Close to it, but it's not a Busch. I mean I feel like a broken record, I'm saying the exact same thing about bud as I did about bud light, cause they are the same F-ING beer. Mouthfeel is atrocious, too much carbonation and super thin and watery all around. Drinkability is ok, but just because it's so watery. I mean the only difference between these two beers is that I got ok lacing in the bud light, and ok to bad lacing in the bud. Overall, what more can I say, bud light with worse lacing, I'm happy to say I only have one more bud beer to review.

1.8/5  rDev -23.4%

I will never know what made me hope this would be better than awful.

Super pale in a pilsner glass, almost no head after the initial one finger pure-white cap faded. For some reason I remember Bud being a little darker than this. No matter.

Vague malt aroma. That's about it. So little going on.

My only wish is that this had been served much colder. Maybe then it would have been palatable. Instead, it was just a sweet, corn flavored awfulness.

Decent mouthfeel despite the taste and thinness of the beer.

Avoid avoid avoid.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Got two bottles for free with my regular beer purchase at a local liquor store around Christmas...some little hottie was dressed up as Santa Claus handing them out. Uh, thanks...I guess.

A - Clear straw yellow in color topped by a bright white one finger head. The head receded to a thin cap fairly quickly, leaving little to nothing in terms of lacing.

S - Your basic adjunct aromas are present...corn, rice, mostly vegetal and slightly sweet smelling. Doesn't smell appealing.

T & M - I'm not a big fan of the style, but I guess as far as adjunct lagers go, this isn't terrible. A slight malt base with the same corn and rice I smelled in the aroma, along with that slight sweetness. Really no hop presence to speak of. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. The carbonation adds a bit of coarseness to the mouthfeel. Finishes fairly crisp and clean.

D - Like I said earlier, American Adjunct Lager is far from my favorite beer style. I guess if I was forced to drink the style, this would be toward the top of my choices. Would be easy to drink on a hot Summer day...still not sure I should have soiled my Stone nonic with it though.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Carbonated, light yellow color

S: Grainy, but not strong (which is good because the scent doesn't add to the beer)

T: Carbonated grain, not good. Wasn't memorable what-so-ever. Tasted alongside a Mich Golden Light and each of us that tried them together went to get another Mich Golden.

M: Poor, much too carbonated mouthfeel. Drying tendency which was not pleasant and made it difficult to drink.

O: Purchased for the sole fact that it was $2 at bar. Not doing that again. Was not impressed with Budweiser, first time having it in years and will not try again for a long time.

2.01/5  rDev -14.5%

Well I've been on a roll reviewing a bunch lately, and I happen to have some Budweiser in the fridge. So... it was inevitable.

A: Fizzy clear straw colored beer with a little head that went away quick.

S: Smells like rice and a little bit of malt. Every scent is a faint whiff though.

T: Also of rice and a slightly stronger malt taste.

M/O: Very fizzy and crisp. Actually quite refreshing. Even though I give this beer a poor review, (we all know it's a cheap macro beer) it is one of the most enjoyable crap beers. I'll take this and PBR over most adjunct lagers; especially over Coors and Coors Light, gross. So if I'm on a budget and headed to a boozer, there's a damn good chance I'm walking out with a 6/16oz pack of Bud.

2.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ah yes the "king" of beers. This was given to me at a family gathering and I accepted even though I wasn't thrilled. The beer pours out as a traditional straw pale yellow with a little white head. Really nothing to rave about. The taste is slightly sweet but doesn't have anything but a malt backbone screaming at you. The mouthfeel is drinkable and light.

2.51/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Golden straw, wheat color. Soapy head, about one finger in my tumbler.

S- Wheat and grains, and the most faint amout of hops. Not good.

T- Watery and carbonated. Smooth and keeps that corn wheat taste. I can drink a good amount of this beer, but i hate that this is the beer America is known for, we have so much better beet than this! still good choice tho.

M- Im a sucker for good popping carbonation. Nothing really else here for me.

3.53/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Budweiser

A: Straw thin transparent. yellow. Pours a 1/3 inch head that disseminates but leaves slight lacing on the side of the glass.. Highly carbonated.

S. Banana esters and pheonols. Light ingredients. I can't believe I used to think this was a full-bodied beer. Champagne. Liquor.

T: It's taste is most akin to a Japanese rice lager. Budweiser taste like malt flavored mineral water. The hops are floral and leaves a slight bitterness. The balance is good but none of the ingredients stand out. There is a generic rice malt flavor and some hints of sour and apple peel. Sweet but with a strange dry flavor. Bud also sort of taste like celery. It finishes dry.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Very light and watery. Bubbly. Would be good for cleaning the palate while dining. Very fizzy. I don't like the dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: Budweiser walks a fine line between being an acceptable light American lager and generic, bland fizz water. The experience can be pretty dry and dehydrating. Once you start to pound them and get used to the taste it becomes much easier to drink. Definitely more drinkable than Miller and Coor's Original, just not as flavorful. I've never been a big fan of this beer. But, it does work as a highly drinkable generic beer. A crowd pleaser.

1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance: Pours clear yellow/straw, two finger head, disapates quickly, moderate lacing

Smell: cereal grains, slight hops, sweet

Taste: grainy, corn, some malt, a little hop. Not good.

Mouthfeel: light body, heavy carbonation

Drinkability: : Just not that good. I can drink it and I don't hate it, but it doesn't really bring anything to the table.

1.62/5  rDev -31.1%

My dad came in to town last week and after deeming my Victory variety case unacceptable went and picked up a Bud six pack. I figured, what the heck...

Poured from can into normal pint glass

A: Light pale, straw color and extremely clear. Nice two finger head that retained okay.

S: As there was hardly any smell of note I have little comment on. The general lack of smell was however, disappointing.

T: Gross. Until my first sip I really tried to evaluate Budweiser like I would any other beer, but the taste was so horrible I cannot keep up the act. I cannot begin to describe what flavors I tasted other than "gross".

M: A nice carbonation level and very crisp.In between sips I had no real taste in my mouth so that was a plus.

D: Aside from the taste this was a half decent beer, sadly beers need to taste good.

Budweiser is a solid brew. Of course it is quite favorable to rip this beer, but I won't do that. With the advent and popularity of light beer, Budweiser must stand above and beyond this. Budweiser is a smooth, highly drinkable beer. It's not necessarily the most boldly flavorful brew, but it is tasty and made with with the utmost of care. Say what you want to say, but Anheuser Busch does get high marks for quality control. Crisp, consistent, refreshing, that is Budweiser.

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

355ml Can

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is a faint amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - breads/grains, a grassiness, hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains mixed with a little bit of hops and a slight grassiness. I can also pick up on a very subtle honey like sweetness. The beer finishes with a grainy slightly bitter aftertaste.

Overall - Well, it is what it is. It really isn't a bad beer and is one of the better ones in the adjunct lager category. This particular can was given to me at a friends house and I didn't turn it down.. but I wouldn't have bought it for myself.

2.37/5  rDev +0.9%

A- 1/2 inch head quickly fades to nothing leaving only the pale straw liquid with lots of bubbles.

S- Some adjuncts (I believe rice) clearly shows through but some light maltiness of barley, no hops to be found.

T- Very light with a little sweetness . Nothing too bad, the rice seems milder and more enjoyable here, and the DMS doesn't seem to be offputting. No complexity or hops to speak of and whats here isn't impressive, just not abrasive either.

M- Very thin, increases the feeling that there is nothing going on in this beer as you swallow it down.

D- There just isn't enough here to bring me back for another. This one was left over from a party and I decided to give it a crack. Far from the worst beer but nothing worth drinking beyond the sheer alcohol effects.

1.57/5  rDev -33.2%

A: Absolutely clear, pale straw color with no head after a vigorous pour. Sad.

S: Steel, rice krispies, nothing TOO offensive. Bland.

T: Watery with an imitation sugar sweetness. Traces of rice and stale corn pops. Grains. No hops or malt detectable. You'll see most BA's bash every adjunct, but not me...this one truly deserves it.

D: I could only drink these if I was already sloshed.

Value: Horrible. Should be $1.99 per sixer, but it's actually almost as much as Yeungling. A good test beer- if someone says they like this one, they sure don't know beer.

2.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a big boy 24 oz can to a pint glass.

A- Clear golden color, little no head, not much going on with that.

S- Faint grains and malts. Very plain.

T- Tastes like grain water, not too much flavor but less than what is style calls for.

M- Light bodied high carb.

D- It has high drinkability cause its as easy to drink as water. You could fly through a case of these and not even know it, and possibly not enjoy it.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch