Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -17%

"King of Beers" eh? I call bull$hit! Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a regular lager glass. Extremely pale. Even more pale than Rolling Rock which claims to be 'extra pale'. Poured pretty aggressively, causing a 1 inch head to show up, but it fizzled away immediately. Smell was almost nothing except maybe some grain. I couldn't smell any of the 'choicest hops' or 'best barley malt' it claimed to have on the bottle. Taste was almost nothing except maybe some grain and grassiness. There's nothing horrible about it. If your goal is to get drunk, you can slam some Budweiser pretty easy. No nasty aftertaste. So it avoids getting an F.

4.45/5  rDev +89.4%

A lot of people say to me, "Come now FootballFan15, your favorite beer is Budweiser, how can your opinion be valid?" Well, the truth is that while Budweiser is a very good lager, I Can't claim it to be my favorite or say that it doesn't have any imperfections.

Initial impressions of this beer are always positive, despite its reputation, and I think that is with good reason. When poured from its very-well designed can (or bottle...if that is your thing...) it makes an impressive fizzy display in a glass or mug and has an attractive head. Anheuser-Busch is to be commended for brewing such an attractive beer.

The taste, admittedly, is where the problem is found (if, indeed, there is a problem with Budweiser). I find the flavor of Budweiser to be a bit strong, particularly compared to its superior sister brew, Bud Light. Still, Budweiser is not a beer I would turn my nose up at ever. If anything, perhaps the flavor is TO GOOD. Once Budweiser assaults my palette with its own irresistible charm, I find that it dilutes the flavor of foods that I enjoy with Bud Light such as hot dogs, chili cheese fries, and cheddar and sour cream ruffles.

Due to its affect on your palette, I recommend reserving this beer for times when you're specifically only going to be enjoying beer (without food) or after a meal has been consumed. Bud Light may be the superior beverage to consume with food but Budweiser is a delicious treat all on its own. I enthusiastically recommend this beer to all of my friends and suggest it here too. Despite its faults, after just one sip, you'll see why Budweiser is America's premier beer.

4.2/5  rDev +78.7%

12oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very pale straw color and a white frothy head that doesn't last.

Aroma: Grainy with a very low hop aroma, almost floral with green apple.

Taste: Crisp and dry. Low hop bitterness and sweetness from more detectable malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body and highly carbonated.

Overall: A little more robust than Bud Light. Very light and refreshing beer. Fits the guidelines.

2.39/5  rDev +1.7%

Personally, I've helped polish off several cases of Budweiser, and I must admit, if this was the only beer left in the world, I would still help polish off some more.

The appearance of Bud is about what you'd expect, golden with bubbles and some head. Honestly, I've never really cared for the smell of Budweiser. It kind of reminds me of funk, but not overwhelmingly so. Depending on how long the beer has been in the holding vessel, the taste can be any where from acceptable to bad. If its fresh, expect the lager taste of malt and hop.

All in all, I feel that Budweiser deserves its spot in the convenient store cooler. When you're kicking it with your buds and need something readily available to get wasted on, Budweiser would be a solid choice.

1.28/5  rDev -45.5%

Not a slam but definitely avoid this beer! I don't know why there is so much popularity of it. Maybe mine was skunked or a bad batch but this was horrible at best. The look is a typical American Lager look. Taste and mouthfeel were absolutely horrid. Overall avoid this beer and go for some Coke instead.

2.94/5  rDev +25.1%

OK, I've put off this one for long enough. This is the Canadian version, though I doubt the AB knack for flavour consistency in their beers stops at national borders. Single tallboy can; pours that familiar pale straw colour topped with a lofty two-finger bone white head. Streams of bubbles zip their way to the surface. The head is mostly gone within a minute, leaving behind a thin cap. The smell is almost undetectable but I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing. Some rice adjunct, but pretty clean-smelling I guess. Tap water also usually smells pretty clean though.

This is a prototypical adjunct lager. Rice adjunct and grainy, diluted barley malts are basically the only flavours. Sorry but I can't find any hops here, although the can advertises their existence. Absolutely clean-tasting, with almost no aftertaste. Thin, watery mouthfeel with heavy soda-pop carbonation. So far this review probably hasn't seemed very favourable from an unbiased observer's perspective, but to be fair this stuff is perfectly drinkable. Maybe a little bloaty, but it's not that awful.

Caveat: I always rate to style, and for an adjunct lager, this really isn't that bad; it is closer to completely average. A little lighter on flavour than its Canadian competitors, but it probably makes up for this in drinkability. Honestly though, the only reason I bought this was to review it, and I'll probably never buy Bud again.

2.61/5  rDev +11.1%

I don't know why I'm bothing to tackle these adjunct lagers, but here I am doing it.

I will say that Budweiser is my favorite of the major American names (Bud, Coors, Miller), but obviously that isn't saying much. I can deal with having these from time to time, especially if my options are Bud and Bud Light (although water would do too, or soda). Sometimes you just want an unassuming, light, no frills beer. Sometimes.

2.88/5  rDev +22.6%

Time to review one of the American "big three". This one has a particularly bad reputation amongst beer connoisseurs. Coming from Australia myself, I am most curious to see how this stacks up with our truly dreadful macro lagers.

A- So far, not bad. It's just a standard lager look with a head that stays around longer than expected. Meh. Seen better, seen worse.

S- Well, straight away the adjucts hit my nose. Rice and starch. At least this has a smell, as opposed to say... Carlton cold.

T- The absolute worst I can say about this is it doesn't have much going on. That's it. Despite what people seem to be saying, it doesn't actually taste bad. It is albeit quite bland and uninteresting. Simply, this is just a (hugely) typical adjuncty taste.

T- Sure it's a bit thin, so what? I expected nothing less from a beer in this style. It's pretty fizzy and a little unsettling but nothing bad in all honesty.

O- Oh you Americans, stop whining please! Be thankful that at least you have this en masse when you could have one of our shitty beers.

2.67/5  rDev +13.6%

Well.. after going through plenty of good beers, someone dropped off a six pack and well, why not give this a shot. Hey it's here can't hurt having now reviewed some other adjuncts. Let's see how well this stands up poured into a nonic.

Appearance is a red pull tab with a crown (nice cosmetic touch), white two finger head extremely soapy but falling normally. Body color is crystal clear straw and very large carbonation bubbles. Body color is very weak.

Smell is dry malt, some sweetness, but also a little solvent. Very wet smelling with a mild hop.

Taste is, fairly sweet at first with an extremely light body, seems to remind me of corny tasting lager a bit. Surprising light bread on the finish somewhat. Pappery thin and watery texture with a bit of fizziness. Bread taste doesn't seem to come back after multiple sips, replaces with soda like feel and gas solvent tin metal.

Overall your classic lawnmower beer but with perhaps a bad aftertaste.

1.41/5  rDev -40%

Drink enough and it will make you drunk. That's the best I can say for this yellowish fermented water+? To be honest, I can barely tell the difference between Bud, Coors, Miller, and any other American domestic swill. But let's be honest; despite the commercials, they really aren't going for flavor. They want to produce the most beer at the cheapest expense, without offending your senses. So I guess their market share has proven their success at those commercial goals. Good for them...

3.94/5  rDev +67.7%

Budweiser. The King of Beers.

Allow me to quote a sentence that I have read, respected, and perhaps agreed with as many times as I have enjoyed this beer. Ice cold; from a bottle.

"This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."

Although I cannot say for sure whether the "cost so much to brew" is an accurate statement, I have to agree that the Beechwood Aging does produce a taste, smoothness, and drinkability that I can not find at any other price. For this reason alone, I feel like Budweiser beer has been treated poorly by receiving a D+.

Budweiser beer is truly the king of American style adjunct lagers. It tastes the way it should taste, is priced the way it should be priced, and is absolutely one of the most consistent beers I have had in my few years as a beer drinker.

1.26/5  rDev -46.4%

A - Fizzy, yellow. The epitome of bad label beers.

S - Metal, skunk. You can really smell how the aluminums

T - Skunky, metallic water. You might be able to pick up on a little rice in this beer.

M - Water.

O - This stuff is disgusting. I won't drink it even if its the only beer at a party.

2.51/5  rDev +6.8%

I'm 25 and so is one of my good friends. His father is in his late fifties and took us fishing so of course we drank good old bud heavy. Straight out of the can is how this was drank but I have seen many Bud's in a glass so I know there is decent head retention at first but that fades about halfway through the glass. Nose is lightly grainy and almost sour. No trace of hops, only the faint cereal and adjunct regularity. Flavor is bitter and tingly from all the carbonation. Best served ice cold because the sour grains will ravage your palette. No hops again in the flavor just the plain, mildly grainy flavor. Finishes crisp and thirst quenching. This beer serves its purpose in certain situations. Fishing on a boat baking in the hot sun is one of them. Bland overall but will always hold a ground in America.

2.55/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured as aggressively as I could into my Sam Adams glass, leaving a finger and a half head that - despite my best efforts - dissipates before I can load the review page. I'm trying not to be too hard on it, but the color is a sickly pale straw with a slight tinge of green.

The smell can best be described as "beer". It has vague hints of grains, no discernible hops, and a slight skunky odor.

Not really a lot of taste to taste here. It tastes vaguely of cereal, maybe some corn, and it also has a vague skunky taste to complement the vague skunky smell. It has a slightly bitter (in a bad way) aftertaste. It is not actively bad tasting, like some other beers in its price range, but it certainly isn't good.

Pretty high level of carbonation, feels a little like drinking a coke. Other than that, it goes down the hatch pretty smoothly. It would be pretty easy to drink a lot of these, that - and the low price - are its chief selling points.

Overall, it is really not a terrible beer, and I think the rating should be much higher than it is. You have to judge the beer for what it is, and that is a beer for the mass consumption by a people with the blandest taste in food and drink of any people on Earth. By that standard, it passes with flying colors. For those of us who desire more, than yes, you should look elsewhere.

1.63/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

King of Beers.

Very pale and yellow, big time foamy white head eventually falls to a fizzy cap, spots of lace left.

Poor scent, old cereal, grains, urinals, adjuncty bleh-ness.

Taste is not an improvement...adjuncty to the max, tough to point out any redeeming qualities. Flavors of stale oats, garbage, lemon and astringency. Not a bad mouthfeel for the style, a decent liveliness to it without being overly carbonated.

Like most people I imagine, I've drank my fair share of this, but I find Budweiser to be just plain unpleasant to drink. This to me is among the bottom of the barrel for macros, there are better options at a cheaper price.

2.04/5  rDev -13.2%

King of beers? Strong statement. I would say this is a lager that is over priced, and absolutely not the king of beers. Is it drinkable? Sure. If someone offered me one, would I accept? Sure. Would I personally go buy this? No. A- it looks like a beer. S- not very good. T- no hops detection. Only drinkable if it's very cold. M- mouthfeel is ok. O- better adjuct lagers out there, would never buy this.

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer pours a straw color with a quickly fading bright white head and lots of carbonation.

The smell is of grain, grass and maybe a bit of wood.

The taste is similar to the smell, mainly some grass and corn with a slight woody character. Light body with lots of carbonation, causing the beer to be quite refreshing. There are better macros, but bud is not bad.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

was in cape coral on vacation..not much craft beer going on grabbed a 16 0z can on way back to hotel

drank straight from the can lots of corn rice and meal smells with some hops and bread..taste was grain some wet grass and hops and malts..mouthfeel was crisp and pure well carbonated..BUD is what it is and they make it very well..its not a bad brew and every once in awhile i enjoy one

2.68/5  rDev +14%

Consumed on 8/5/11

Note: I decided to punish myself with a 24-ounce can - this was canned less than 2 weeks ago, so I guess this is as good as it gets

Appearance: Extremely clear, an unattractive golden yellow color that is simply too pale - regardless, some lacing, and it does retain a head because of the excessive carbonation

Smell: Grainy, with some aromas that just scream "adjunct" - rice, corn, miscellaneous filler - the smell is pretty weak though, so it's definitely not offensive - definitely some sweetness, definitely lacking any hints of hops

Taste: Some light malts, but the body is mostly just water - like the smell, the lack of bad qualities is a plus for this beer - slightly grainy, slightly sweet - hints of corn husk, hints of green apple skin (acetaldehyde?) - certainly not good, but remarkably average for the style

Mouthfeel: Overly carbonated, mostly crisp but there is some residual stickiness - thin, but compared to Bud Light... it's adequate

Overall: Bad, but not awful

After my recent tasting of Bud Light led me to believe that my standards have shifted slightly, I knew I had to review this beer. To my relief, it's pretty much what I remembered. It's an average macro lager. There are better (and cheaper) ones out there, but this is not embarrassingly bad. I may never drink it again, but I didn't hate this beer. My ability to swallow 24 ounces of this without gagging makes me feel like less of a beer snob.

2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

Appearance: The King of Beers stands strong somewhere between the palest of straws and the delicate color of properly hydrated urine. He boasts atop his head a bright-white crown that persists for mere moments before becoming not but a lingering promise of what used to be.

Smell: Deep punches of cereal grain lift the King from his grassy base. The mighty King has tangled with a skunk and come out only slightly worse for the wear. Is that toast in your pocket? I say nay, the King is not known for his complexity. Ah yes, there it is, corn, the smell of the failed King. Shouldn't he smell of rice?

Taste: Our mighty King roars across the plains of the tongue on his steeds made of carbonation. He bubbles, he roils, and he fumes, but he leaves hints of his passing. The ground is scorched by his passing, leaving a dull taste of skunk and old hay on the tongue. He is a desperate King. Despite his fervor, the King does not last long. His taste leaves almost as quickly as it arrives, gone before it even registers.

Mouthfeel: The King is emaciated. He is thin. His bubbly personality is the only thing keeping him afloat, but this sham of joyousness loses all appeal when pulled from the mouth of a skeleton.

Overall: The King very well might be a King, but he is not the King of all beer. He spends all day rolling in the hay, cavorting with skunks in the corn fields. The only regularity in his day comes with his morning cereal. If he is King and Kate is Queen, I think the praying mantis does it right. The King is a play-King, but he plays well.

the title of king of beers says it all, sure its massed produced and thats because of its popuarity.
very tasty and refreshing beer that i can find at any great sporting events.
beer snobs of the world have a negative opinion, but where ever you go you will see this great tasting beer being sold and thats the bottom line.

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Cheap, alcoholic, and available absolutely everywhere. There is something to be said for that, folks. Honestly, who out there can say that they haven't made up their mind on Budweiser yet. Love it or hate it, you've still tried it. There is indeed something to be said for that. And the Budweiser you get in LA is the same as the Bud you get in New York or the Bud you get in Moscow or the Bud you get in St. Louis. It is pervasive. I'm just saying...

There's something to be said for that.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

A: Light straw color. If you're nice, you'll call it gold. If you're not so nice, urine. Soda-like foam.

S: Cardboard is pretty much all I'm getting from this.

T: A cardboard box half-full of pale malts. No real hop presence. And... do I detect port wine cheese? Either something is seriously wrong with this bottle or something is seriously wrong with me, but I swear I get a bit of port wine when I belch, and something did taste a little odd. Haven't had a Bud in a long time, so I'm not sure if something is seriously wrong with this or if it's just something I never noticed.

M: Light and prickly with carbonation. Fizzy as a soda pop.

O: Eh. Not much to say about the self styled "king of beers." Good enough if that's all that's around, but a very mediocre brew altogether.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a pub glass from a bottle.

Very pale straw yellow color, very clear filtered look

no aroma noted

water like very light bodied

taste and looks like water.... no aroma... no head... i hear its very hard to make though and they get it the same every time... i guess that is one positive... oh and they do have good commercials!!!

2.06/5  rDev -12.3%

16oz bottle.

A- The beer pours a pale yellow color with two fingers of tight white foam.

S- Sweet. Adjuncts, Rice? Not much else going on here. Certainly not anything in the way of hops.

T- Sweet malt, rice, and fizz. Slight hop flavor in the aftertaste.

M- Decidedly thin and watery. Super high level of carbonation.

O- Not very enjoyable. Wouldn't be having this if anything else was available, or if I had to pay for it.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch