Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev +21.5%

I was given one of these in a can by my boss after a hard days work. I was hot, and it was refreshing, to say the least! Well, here goes the review!

A: Crystal clear yellow gold. I did not pour it due to a lack of glassware, but could see it in the can outside in the bright sunlight

S: Smelled like a little bit of malt, and lots of rice. Not bad, about what i expected

T: Tasted like roasted malt (a little darker taste than I am used to), a little bit of hops and rice on the finish. It was nice and clean and crisp, as it should be

M: Thin, but still very nice on the palate. Light and crisp as the style is

D: I could drink several of these on a hot day like this

Awww, the "Great American Lager" once again satisfies me. It is what it is, a pale, rather tasty staple of American beer drinking. Not a regular choice for me, but an easy one if nothing else better is available

1099, Jun 24, 2008

Just like it is, Budweiser is the archtype American lager. Either way, this stuff is pretty much good for barbeques and gettogethers with friends. Other than that, it's completely overrated

Appearance was very bland and yellow with almost no head.

Smell was very high in rice. It could have been rice pudding if frozen on ice with chocolate on the top.

Taste was just liked it smelled: high in rice and a very low bitterness. Aside from the rice taste, it didn't have a strong finishing taste, as it quickly dissipated and felt incomplete.

Mouthfeel was thick, but nothing to savor.

Drinkability as mentioned above is good for a cookout, by the pool, or drinking with your buds. Otherwise, this stuff is a bit pricey for such an average brew.

Getinthevan, Jun 23, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Why do I even review this beer, everyone has had it, even if they don't enjoy NASCAR. And why was I drinking it? It was Bud or Bud Light, I went for some more flavor.

The appearance is a nice golden yellow, with a slight head and plenty of bubbles.

Smell: like any cheap American lager.

The taste however is very carbonated and yeasty. Though it goes down smooth it is too watery compared to so many other great beers out there.

But if you want cheap beer that is everywhere, buy away. Goes great with any NASCAR race, bonfire, or all day fishing trip.

GoodKnight1220, Jun 22, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +65.2%

From the bottle, so no clarity notes,although I saw many a Bud in a glass in the stands at the stadium in the 90+ heat yesterday. Appears a golden crystal clear yellow with a nice head of white that melts almost immediately. Constant stream of bubbles from the bottom, however.

I don't notice the green apple aroma most people talk about. I smell barely a hint of sweet malt and some graininess like corn but a bit lighter (the rice, perhaps) and a nice, albeit faint, hop tail.

Taste was clean and refreshing. Crisp mouthfeel that went down very smooth with just a faint hop finish and a touch of alcohol at the end. Nothing spectacular unless you count that it was hotter than h&^% in the sun and this aluminum bottle had been served to me at 32 degrees. Totally hit the spot and worked for me. In that instance it was the 'perfect beer'. Normally an ale drinker, anything else I would normally drink would have been too 'heavy'...even the lighter ales would have finished a bit cloying in that heat.

Time to revisit Bud Lite, I suppose....the heat of summer calls for thirst quenching even more than big bold flavors and kick-ass alcohol.

IntriqKen, Jun 18, 2008

If I have a choice of macro, I will usually go for a Bud.

A- Nice design on the can. Intricate and interesting.

S- Smells like rice and corn with a faint hint of alcohol

T- Tastes like it smells

M- Good carbonation level carries this light bodied brew

D- Drinks good when cold

EnojysAnyBeer, Jun 13, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +17.2%

I Wanted after many years to give this a try before it gets bought out, Bought a case of cans. It poured a very pale yellow with a fairly big head.It had a very weak smell. It is alright but not anything to really say wow or anything just a plain beer and I am surprised it is 5% Abv because it seems very weak. It really does nothing for the mouth clean but not much else. It is very drinkable just drank 3 cans it goes down ok. And The one thing I do like is it is an American Beer and I hope it stays that way!
But not something to really say what a great Product!

Schmidts, Jun 12, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

I agree with gonzo 46 and 2. You're gettin whatcha pay for here. It's not the worst. Wet's my whistle. No bad flavors. Removed all that's offensive. Like the McDonalds of the beer world. A little bit of head. No lace. Ultra mild. Borrr - rinnnggg.

drpimento, Jun 08, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +18%

Had my first Bud in a long long time. The guy next to me at the Sox game bought it for me. I'm NO fan of Bud, and probably haven't had a BMC beer in 2 years, but this is NOT one of the worst 50 beers in the world. It's far better than many of the cheap, crappy pale lagers in many parts of the world. Although it had little taste to speak of, it was exceedingly easy to drink, which, for BMC swill, ain't that terrible.

RomanW70, May 31, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +39.5%

12 ounce can poured into a 22 oz weizen glass yields a Budweiser-colored body with a monstrous Budweiser-colored head that damn near leaves the glass and leaves patches of lacing as it recedes to Budweiser-retention, smell, taste, and drinkability. Seems a little maltier in the can and hoppier in the bottle, maybe?

Yeah, keep on knocking Budweiser, but it's a champion amongst fellow victims of a wimpy style.

cvstrickland, May 30, 2008
1.38/5  rDev -40.8%

Not a whole lot going on in this beer. Pour is pale and fizzy. A bit sweet, some malt. Just enough hops to balance, no taste from them or aroma. It does taste better than say Special Ex or Icehouse, but nothing to write home about. Or to take home for that matter.

avaulteriam, May 29, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +40.8%

My old stand-by from the Anheuser Busch line. Two words: Consistent, drinkable. The appearance is a pale golden hue with a lacey head that is very lively with bubbles running up the glass. The smell is malty corn and nothing special. The taste is very balanced with a hint of hops, metal, and crusty bread. This rating stands as long as its fresh. If the beer runs past its freshness date, the taste suffers considerably. Always beats a bud light.

Doostin82, May 29, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 12oz can into standard pint glass. Dumping the can into my glass, this yielded 1.5 finger head that lasts less then the 10 seconds it takes me to walk to the recycle bin and back to the computer. Color is a very light straw. Smell is not impressive at all, no hop profile to speak of in the nose, slight, I mean very slight malt profile. Taste is very light, as to be expected, high carbonation, bland. Best to drink exceptionally cold. Good session beer when finances are tight and taste is secondary or tertiary.

Kraken, May 29, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +18%

This review is based on my beer from the tap at Dot's Inn in Damascus, Virginia.

Appearance: Sickly pale yellow, with an attempt at a nice amber color. Good translucent quality. Little short-lived head.

Aroma: Not much there. A little hops, a little malt or corn sweetness.

Taste: Again, not much here. Good lagering methods, but not enough hops or malt to make a great impression. Goes down very easy with no bad aftertastes.

Mouthfeel: Rolls around pretty well. The slightest amount of carbonation is just perfect for this beer: any less and it would be like drinking water; any more and it would be like drinking the worst soda in the world.

Drinkability: A great lawnmower beer. I have consumed many cans of this, and will continue to do so as long as someone else is buying.

drinksandeats, May 23, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +39.5%

I haven't had a good old Budweiser in probably a couple of years. For my macro lager, I am normally a Pabst and Schlitz guy, but being a Missouri native, I figured I would give this beer I once used to drink quite frequently another go around.

A: Pours a very clear, brilliant yellow like color with a decent amount of head that goes away quickly.

S: Ultra clean, with some definite rice with a very small hint of hops in there as well.

T & M: This beer hits the palate ultra crisp and clean with a fairly nice refreshing flavor that kind of reminds me of biting into a clean crisp green apple. Some rice flavor becomes more present as the beer begins to finish, and leaves a slightly sour after taste with just a kiss of hops at the end. As the beer warms, the rice flavors become a bit more pronounced.

I swear the mouthfeel used to a bit fuller in this beer, but it is still not bad for style, as it adds to the refreshing feeling of this brew.

D & Notes: As I said above, I used to drink this beer much more frequently in the "old days". Even as a craft beer enthusiast, I must say this isn't a half bad brew. The reason AB gets such a bad reputation among the beer enthusiast crowd probably has more to do with the fact that AB seems to be much more associated with Bud Light instead of Budweiser these days.

Today, I would say this isn't my favorite macro lager. I think I will stick with a good old PBR for a good simply beer. However, I think Bud is still a good simple easy brew to drink. Just remember to drink it cold, don't over analyze it, and appreciate this simple brew for what it is.

AustinBeerLvr, May 16, 2008
2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

I'm actually quite surprised (and impressed) at the amount of fairness this brew has gotten in these reviews. So...what do I think (if you care)? Well...

Appearance: Crystal clear and golden. Carbonation is light, fizzy and almost cola-like. Disappears quickly.

Smell: softly malty, almost slightly sweet, but the smell is certainly faint.

Taste: Light, somewhat sour at times. Hint of saltiness but nowhere near as pronounced as it is in Bud Light. Not much bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Very thin.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink.

Budweiser gets a bad rap since AB is in many ways the "evil empire" as far as brewing is concerned. I wouldn't drink this stuff every day but it's ok I guess. It's probably my 2nd favorite major American macro out there (MGD is a little better). In fact, if you (understandably) don't like macro beers but you often have people over who do, this isn't a bad one to try. It's decently cheap and it's not terrible, despite its reputation amongst craft-beer drinkers. It's certainly much better than its appalling younger sibling, at any rate.

Also, be sure to pour that shit in a glass if you buy it in cans (like I normally do). Gets rid of most of the metallic taste, if that bothers you.

Cheech22, May 13, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

A - Its got a nice look going for it. Bubbly golden, with a bright 2 finger white head.

S - I couldn't smell much, but the touch of sweetness wasn't offensive.

T - It tasted crisp, simple and what a run of the mill lager should be. I didn't taste anything off about it, much as I do with bud light and bud select.

M - Pretty lively, tingly, tons of carbonation. Smooth though, it goes down easy.

D - Highly drinkable, great session beer. ABV is right on the sweet spot.

The most suprising aspect of this beer is how many people I know that would never drink it. Everytime I go out, or I am around friends they opt for Bud light. They refuse to drink this because according to them, "its heavy".

I am a craft drinking homebrewer so don't get me wrong. If there are alternatives I will jump for them. I absolutely hate bud light, and stayed away from this to. I figured they were pretty much all in the same. But I was suprised to find out that it wasn't so bad!

Taipans, May 12, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

This really is pretty good, basic beer. It's not the best macro US lager out there, and certainly not for the price (some cheaper ones are much better), but it's still good and far, far better than competitor Coors or cheaper cousin Busch. It's easily the equal of its "all-malt" cousin, Michelob, too, and is very similar.

It's typical gold with a fairly big, airy white head (more airy than Michelob) that soon dissipates to a very thin ring. It is slightly lighter in colour than PBR and has a slightly weaker head.

The aroma is sweet grain - very light and simple but pleasant.

The taste is light, smooth grain, a bit of a mineral-water quality in taste and body that takes over part-way through. However, it stays smooth and retains some flavour, much more than Coors. It is lighter in flavour, especially hoppiness, than PBR and has a more mineral-water/7-up quality than PBR.

Offa, May 08, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

It's Budweiser, what can you say? It's golden appearance is somewhat seductive, pulling you in to a trap. The aroma and taste are not very appealing. The problem is that it goes down smooth so you are encouraged to drink more. Drinks like this are the reason alcohalism for so many begins in college wher drinks like this are prevelent.

DesMoinesMike, May 08, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -22.7%

I don't like bud. It has an average yellow color with a light tan head. The smell is of stale hops and some light malt. The taste is not any different. Basic light flavored malts and some icky hops. Feel is very light and over carbonated. I would not want any let alone one of these. Sorry Busch.

rye726, May 05, 2008

For me, this is the "average" beer.

No objectionable flavors, but nothing special. smell somewhat grainy. Taste is grainy, yet a bit sweet with no off-flavors. Not much flavors at all, I suppose.

But fairly drinkable if needing to wash down food.

It is what it is. I'd prefer something a bit more interesting and flavorful, but it's not as bad as some make it sound.

Strix, May 01, 2008

"The taste is all that matters"? Boring, bitter, bland...Bud. Ugh! With so much good bier out there from micros, it's hard to fathom Bud's popularity. Pale, steady carbo, whitish head; doesn't lure me in at all. Aroma? Really? Grassily bitter, prickly, thin. Nope, nope, nope....

look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | drink: 1

beer review id: 7699 / 02-16-2002 19:30:44

Bierman9, Apr 27, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour is from a 24oz can and is a crystal clear straw colour with a very large head of foam. Above average head retention and my glass is coated with lacing after every sip.

The smell has some grain, sweet malt, and a slight bit of bitterness.

The taste is very clean and smooth tasting. A bit of grain, a bit of malt sweetness, and a slight bitterness in the finish. The body is just right for the style and it's easy drinking. Not much more I can say. It's just solid.

Bitterbill, Apr 27, 2008

A-pours straw yellow with thin bubbly head that fizzles fast and leaves no lace behind

S-faint rice,and white bread odors

T-all malts but they are very subdued,slight sweetness like watered down grapes-this really doesn't taste like much,but what little taste it does have is not offensive and quite clean and enjoyable

M-thin and water like,a bit of soft bubbles tickle the tongue in a crisp clean refreshing finish

D-this is a beer I grew up drinking so maybe this clouds my judgment a little,that said, I find nothing wrong with the King of Beers

orangemoustache, Apr 22, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

This is the all-American beer. Mass produced, mass consumed, a college person's diet staple. Pours and light golden color with a head that doesn't quit. Taste of smooth malts. Drink with whatever, whenever, whereever. Enjoy it as cold as you can get it and don't let it sit out too long.

Portertime, Apr 16, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +47.2%

This is by far the best mass produced, mass distributed American style lager. One thing I try to keep in mind when rating beers is the style of beer. Now is this one of my all time favorites and I would order/buy all the time, no, but it is a perfect beer for when I am at the ball park, at a bar/restaurant that does not serve a variety of beers. The beer provides a nice clear pale yellow/straw color with a thin head. Not much of a nose, it smells like most other American style lagers. The beer is very drinkable with the right level of carbonation. It is light with some malt overtones, but very smooth and crisp. This is a beer that has its place. If I am going to be outside in the summer for any reason, I am going to grab this beer before say a heavy porter or stout. Overall, this is a beer that I enjoy a lot during the summer months and should be regarded as the best American style lager.

PhillyStyle, Apr 15, 2008