1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

BudweiserBudweiser

awful

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

L-Straw yellow, hyper carbonated, white head that dissipates faster than Sarah Palin's political career (wishful thinking).
S-It's a lager that doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell good
T-Well you know what you're getting. Metallic, watery, super carbonated mouthfeel. I feel like the taste is "cold".
D-Well we know you (okay some people) can drink a lot of these. So technically it's drinkable in the same way that Arbor Mist is a drinkable wine.

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

Pours a clear pale yellow body with with an off white brittle head that just dissapears over a few seconds.

Smells of corn and bread. That's really all I can make out, there's not a whole lot of aroma going on.

Taste's of corn, rice and lots of malt. Very well balanced and well carbonated. A very easily drinkable beverage.

Mouthfeel is mostly just carbonation. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall its no king of beers, but a beer that never lets me down. Tasty and drinkable.

2.13/5  rDev -9.4%

Well, what can I say? This is the watered down product of the barley shortage of WWII. Hello rice! This beer could only truly appeal to those who's fake ID's barely pass to score a 12-pack.

Yes, I drank it too. And preferred it to Coors Light, and California Coolers.

Barely.

But I feel I was justified. I was, after all, performing my patriotic duty to purchase American products. And besides, all those pretty horses in the commercials, how could you not feel good buying such a brand?

Now it's owned by the Belgians (why? who knows? Perhaps they are capturing its yeast strain?) Ok that was beer geek humor.

Anyway, this beer can now officially appeal to no one. The craft industry has brought great beer to our grocery stores, and people don't think white rice is very good for us any more.

Then again, it's a great bet if you are drinking through a funnel.

1.68/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: On pouring, builds a vigorous fizzy head, about a finger thick, which quickly dies off. Absolutely no lacing, as all the head is gone. Light yellow color, quite clear.

Smell: Grainy, but not in a good malty way. Definitely an adjunct beer.

Taste: Almost no body, and precious little flavor. There aren't really any off-notes here, but neither is there much taste at all. So I guess it aims to not offend by being inoffensive?

Mouthfeel: Blah. There just is nothing here. Slight aftertaste, but of what?

Drinkability: If you want to pound down some beers, and don't want flavor getting in the way, this is the beer for you. Not for me, though. Finishing one was a trying time for me.

1.3/5  rDev -44.7%

So, poured from 16oz can in to my trusted irish pub pint glass,pale straw hue with a snow white head with minamal lacing.
Almost non-existant aroma.
Very much an adjunct beer, little malt and vague hop flavors. Mostly corn and rice here for sure.
Very thin and unappealing.
Well I guess if you can stomach, very easy to drink as it lacks ALL things beer.

2.38/5  rDev +1.3%

A: bright yellow body, big head, no lacing.

S: sweet grain, corn.

T: same as nose, but has a metallic bitter after taste.

M: light body, big carbonation.

D: This for me is the one of the worst American macro/adjunct lagers out there. if you love people, do not get suckered into buying this for a party.

4.08/5  rDev +73.6%

Well. It is what it is. And just because it doesn't say Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Harpoon or some other "craft" beer name on the label, I--unlike many other that rate these beers-- will chose to rate it according to what it is: An American Pilsner Beer.

A--Brilliant clarity. I let it warm just a tad so that the carbonation had a chance to "hold"

S--faint DMS and corn. Some apple. Clear lack of aromatic hops...but that is NOT the intention of this beer

T--light. Crisp. Certainly not offensive. Not a whole lot going on in here--but why would there be? It is an impression of an American Lager. Just to be on the safe side, I cracked another. It tasted EXACTLY the same. Very consistent

M--Though minimal, the flavors meld well and the body is light. Refreshing.

D--4.5 for sure. You could rip these all day long at the beach. That is this beer's intention, and for that, I am rewarding it

3.23/5  rDev +37.4%

Appearance: Pale yellow, clear, medium size head, poor retention, good carbonation.
Smell: Very faint. Malts, hops. Corn or rice maybe. Faint, but still pleasant.
Taste: Faint hops and maltiness. Actually does taste refreshing.
Mouthfeel: Light, but not watery, at least for a pale lager.
Drinkability: High. Goes down smooth. Can drink several quickly.
Summary: This is a good beer. I gave it 7.8/10, or C+. I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. After drinking Bud Light for several years, I imagined this to be a commercial "beer flavored water", but it's not. It actually tastes like an Ameerican Adjunct Lager! I don't know if I would call this the "King of Beers", but it's definitely something I wouldn't turn down. I would drink this beer again.

2.23/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a a nice 1 finger head, lots of carbonation, bubbles going up to the top. Light, pale yellow color, sort of like apple juice but a bit lighter. The appearance is decent, looks crisp and clear with a nice white head.

Slight hint of wheat, corn, and what seems like rice? on the nose.

The taste is similar to the smell. Very slight hint of Wheat, some corn and other adjuncts, and there seems to be some sort of metallic taste to it.

It goes down very very easily, though it's a bit watery. Very slight carbonation.

Overall this is something you can down on a hot summer day. Otherwise, it's best to stay away from this beer.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

Served from a can into a pint glass at 46 degrees F.

Appearance - Head is about an inch thick at first, but dissipates rapidly, leaving behind little to no lace. Clarity is superb. Carbonation visible but mild.

Smell - Not a strong smell, mostly just grain with the tiniest hint of yeastiness. Must be quite close to the glass in order to test the aroma.

Taste - Taste doesn't hold much, but it is fairly crisp, if light. Most of the taste comes from graininess, but even the grain character is a bit faded. Not bitter in the least, with just a little bit of sweetness that implies malt without being malty at all.

Mouthfeel - Very viscous, to the point of being watery. Carbonation is actually fairly decent, though with the wateriness of the beer, the carbonation is most of what you feel, rather than the beer simply opening up.

Drinkability - Well, it gets props for ease of drinkability... though desire to drink more is really non-existent. There is nothing compelling that really entertains the idea of another.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

A: Very fizzy and yellow with a finger's width white head that dies down to nothing.

S: I'm not real sure what it smells like...very sweet and grainy with some sort of almost sour smell.

T: Taste is much like the nose. There is a very sweet flavor that is mixed with an almost plastic-like flavor and a slight sour, bitterness in the finish.

M: like a beer soda. Light and very carbonated.

D: It is what it is, a mass produced lager that tastes pretty awful compared to abundance of great beers out there.

3.1/5  rDev +31.9%

A-Brilliant clarity with a persistant stream of effervescent bubbles. Soft off-white head that quickly disappears with scant lacing. Light, straw gold in color.

S-Grainy, sweet malt, slight corn aroma. Faint noble hop aroma.

T-Sweet, grainy, corn and grits in flavor. Appropiate for a standard american lager. Little if no hop bitterness or flavor. Finish is clean and dry.

M-Somewhat chewy and grainy despite the style. Well carbonated. No astringency.

D-It is what it is, a standard american lager. Light, easy drinking, and fairly tame in both hops and malt. Not my glass of beer, but I applaud AB for their high standards that they assign to their beers; no flaws and consistent everytime.

2.55/5  rDev +8.5%

Tallboy into a mug

A - Bright yellow with two finger white head. Decent lacing.
Looks just like every adjunct ever.

S - "Beery." Corn and grain aromas. No hop presence.

T - Really not too bad. A little corny, very clean and crisp. No hop going on here. As AALagers go it isn't that bad. Best when colder because the cold suppresses the worst parts of the taste.

M - Very light and very highly carbonated. Not what I like.

D - Very very drinkable. With some AALagers I can barely make it through, but this is actually an alright beer. Yes, this is my first Budweiser, which I realize is a bit odd. Certainly not a good beer, but it definitely beats Coors.

NOTE: If I reviewed to the style, which is probably the best way to review, this would get slightly higher marks, but since I already tend to review more to my tastes than to the style, I believe I should stay consistent with my history and review to my tastes. I will say that as far as American Adjunct Lagers go, you could do a LOT worse than a Budweiser.

2.88/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a can into a mug.

A: Light straw color with a two finger head which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Lots of carbonation

S: Really didn't pick up a whole lot here some mild alcohol, a little wheat, and corn.

T: Tastes OK but like the smell nothing really stood out to me.

M: Carbonation that clings to the tongue, dry, and crisp.

D: This is one that you can consume all day. No aftertaste, cheap, readily available, and if you knock it over and spill it you won't be heartbroken.

Overall: I am not going to slam this beer like others have. It's a beer made for the masses and isn't that bad. A&B has been making this for a long time and are consistent with the final product.

1.43/5  rDev -39.1%

A- see through. very light yellow with white head. not impressive by any means, but what you would expect from these big brew light pilsners.
Smell- smells of nothing special. grassy and bland. i would confidently characterize this as sub-par.
Taste- what taste? its water with a drop of urine. its terrible ONLY because there is nothing to it. a tad bitter, but doubtedly from hops, probally just because its a bad beer. Definitly not a good hoppy-bitter, but a bitter-bitter.
MF- light. no bodied.
Drinkability- i dont even find it as drinkable as u would expect a watered down light beer to be. its not that its heavy or has any unique blast of flavor, its simply not a good taste, and not a good beer to drink. thats my opinion anyways. like i always say, once you cross the sacred river over to the land of craft brew, you must leave this beer behind.

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Can into pint glass

Appearance: Ah yes, here it is: the king of beers. Well, it doesn't look like the king of beers. There was something like a foam that formed when I poured this beer, but then it dissipated into nothingness. There isn't even lacing around the top to make this beer look like beer. Basically, I've got yellow soda water.

Smell: Light to non-existant scent. Not really sure what it is that I'm smelling. I can't rate this lower than a 2 because there is nothing to hate, because there is no scent. I'm beginning to wonder if I should even finish this review. I'm having second thoughts on even trying this beer.

Taste: Crisp upfront with some strange zinging bitterness that I can't really attest to hops. Ends a little dry. Needs an actual flavor profile. Almost no actual flavor to explore. This is one of the most boring beers I've ever had.

Drinkability: I can't stomach this beer; not just because I'm a beer snob, I'll at least admit to that, but because this beer has nothing to it. This is a beer you'd drink if all you wanted was to "get drunk".

Poured from a can into a 12 oz glass.

It lathers up like most other beers, and the foam disappears pretty quickly, leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

Color was your average yellow - not as yellow as a Corona would be, perhaps a hint of brown.

Smelled like pretty much nothing, and the taste is similar to that of seltzer water. Mouthfeel was okay, the carbonation is mostly weak so you can take down a nice gulp or two at a time.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get these, though. I'd take a Sam Adams or Heineken over these anyday, but they're good for a cheap grab.

3.8/5  rDev +61.7%

Poured from a can brewed a couple weeks ago. Transparent color with a slight white head which quickly dissipates to some lacing. Carbonation is steady. It's really a beautiful bright and golden pour, every single time.

Aroma is grainy, some corn and malt sweetness, a little warmth from the beechwood chips, and a tiny hint of hops. The rice makes it go down smooth. It's not bitter or skunky, not too sweet, nicely crisp with more complex flavors then I expected that developed after it warmed a bit in the glass.

I like the mouthfeel. It's not thick at all but very liquidity and smooth. Refreshing. This is my favorite beer to have with rich, buttery, meaty American, German and Polish food, especially with Polish sausage and perogies.

I would never turn down a Budweiser, I just wish it was a little cheaper. I love the iconic can labeling too. If I was about a $8-$10 per twelve pack I would buy it over any other lager. If a bar has it for $2 on tap, which most around here do, I'll get with a meal. It beats Pabst, Miller and Coors, and the Czech Budvar hands down. It's fresh from the tap.

Of course Budweiser is the beer that's cool to hate among people here who compare it against completely different styles of richer, darker, hoppy micro-brews beers. But I love it and I'm not afraid to admit that's it's a fine, well made and consistently refreshing brew.

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Most likely the second most consumed beer in the USA, but must be because of the amount of exposure it receives in advertising. Two finger head of white froth, with no lasting power. Lace has some cling, but not for long. Color matches a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells of corn, wheat, and barley. Taste is muted cereal grains with a sweet aftertaste. Water in my mouth. Good for yard work, is refreshing, but not much more flavor than water, just more kick.

1.68/5  rDev -28.5%

A- pale clear yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles, foamy head that quickly fades and leaves no lace.

S- stale crackers, biscuit, corn, musty hops, but mostly water

T- Follows the nose, water and crackers, corn and musty rank, metallic notes

M- Thin, watery, crisp, highly carbonated

D- Watery, lacking in flavor, rank musty. Hard to drink.

2.17/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Piss yellow, no head.

S- Not alot of smell. Can slightly smell hops.

T- Taste like crackers. Don't know why it's the king of beers.

M- Slightly water, and lots of carbonation to hide the taste.

D- Can easily buy a 12 pack and drink the whole thing. Cheap beer more for parties.

3.05/5  rDev +29.8%

A - A milky yellow color, depending on the pour, thick head, that last a little while.

S - A hint of hops, but that is taken away with a few sips here and there while noticing the "Cheep" beer taste.

T - It varies, at first you get a hint of a malt taste, after that settles in your mouth you get the "cheep beer" watered down taste. In a sense, it tricks you at first, but after that mask is taken off, you're left with a cheep beer taste.

M - Moderate to high carbonation, some what pleasant feel.

D - If you're looking to get a quick drink, of nothing special at about $3.00-4.50 you can get a 40oz of this cheep beer. It's nothing I would consider as a top 10, a top 15 even, but at the same time, it's beer.

1.2/5  rDev -48.9%

Poured into a smallish mug out of a 40 oz bottle (couldn't get my self to buy a six pack of bottles or a sixer of cans)

Half a pinkies worth of head that disipated in nothing almost imediately, yellow pine sap for color.

Smells sweet and almost like canned sweet corn. No sharpness from hops or alchohol.

A sweet cornpops ( im laughing now) flavor. (refrain from bashing brew Refrain from bashing brew) ok now that I have gather my composure. this $2.25 brew leaves your mouth sticky and sweet not a bit of hops. Ends with a slight crispness on the back of your tounge and gives in to more of the sweet corn flavor.

Ok mouthfeel just not average its just ok.

I grabbed this beer with high hopes, I have never really had it before. It's my First brew of 2011 Hopefully the worst.

3.13/5  rDev +33.2%

Per style
Straight from the bottle tastes sweet light malt don't pick up any corn but for the matter hops are missing as well . Smell is minimal sweet light malt. Overloaded on carbonation which is par for the style. Not a bad beer one of the macros ill enjoy freely but nothing exceptional .

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

not abysmal by any means, but still not sure why, other than price, that this is the "King"

A - pee yellow, decent-ish head....feh

S - can pick out some hop flavor, which actually surprised me, but the slight hop note and moderate malt tone gets muted by that gross puke inducing "generic beer" smell I always smelled everywhere when I didn't drink at all

T - this is where it really drops down, initial hit of good crackery malt gives way to stale, watery disappointment. heavy cracker taste returns for the finish, thankfully. minimal hop flavor. again, not the worst I've ever tasted (Anchor Small Beer currently holds that spot), but it's easy to see why some choose to turn their noses up at this in favor of complexity and obscurity.

M - moderate to good, kinda smooth and very light, a little bubblier than most beers, obviously intentionally

D - no secret that this is meant to be drunk cheap and plentiful, which it succeeds in. reviewed this with a 24oz-er for about $2, and while it isn't the best taster, there's no reason not to just drink it and deal with it. still wouldn't break my neck for it

EDIT - this gets worse as it goes....wow...smh

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch