Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
StevieW

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

12 oz bottle. Born on 22JUL03. Consumed 4NOV03. Left over at my condo from the Interns rental this summer. A tribute to my buddy Hermie, a fair reveiw of his favorite beer.
Pale, shiny yellow color. An agressive pour produced some bubbly off white head that faded fast. Smell was at first sour, then grainy, mown grass, and fields of hay. Taste was a somewhat pleasant dullness of flavors, moderate sweetness, lots of corn water and ever so slight mushy hops toward the finish. Lacked the rough bitterness and metallic flavors I have come to expect. Moderately carbonated. Scrubing bubbles paired ok with Black Bean Chili Chips. Drinkability and taste held tight as long as you drank it fast and have some spicy things to pair it with. Quenched the thirst, but didn't impress while doing it. Drank it all and now happily I have more room in my fridge for another Maine Beer.

11-05-2003 02:22:10 | More by StevieW
CBFanWish

1.53/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

All I could think of while I was drinking this was when will the torture end? They call themselves the King of Beers. The Biggest selling beer in the land. Was I impressed? No. The light yellow color reminded me of what a good beer isn't. no imagination, no complexity, nothing. The taste was more of corn syrup than of anything. Nothing in the way of hops, malt, or barley. But I did like one thing. The Bud Girls.

11-03-2003 16:05:10 | More by CBFanWish
chaduvel

1.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Finally found this rare beer on-tap. Pale urine yellow, foamy white head. Smells of creamed corn and adjuncts, not much in way of malt or hops. Taste is very thin and carbonated, rice syrup, corn, and a funky flavorless aftertaste not unlike over-cooked rice. I think Bud is better straight from the can or bottle. With so many other choices for pale lagers, avoid this one.

10-27-2003 15:07:21 | More by chaduvel
theozag

Louisiana

2.83/5  rDev +21.5%

Beer purists may hate me for saying so, but I found Bud to be an enjoyable beer.

The bottler's claim of a unique drinking experience is very correct about this beer. Though you may pour fast enough to form a near-white head over the bright gold liquid, the brew is so light and actively carbonated that it fizzes off in seconds. The result is a beer that starts without any creamy texture on the lips, almost as if you're drinking a soda. I'd say Bud is a light-to-medium bodied beer, although some may disagree. It begins sharp and flavorful and has probably the most consistent palatte of any beer I've tasted to date. There are no flavor undertones, but the result is not lacking - Bud comes across as pure, clean, and quite tasty. The finish is even (it just trails away with a bit of a carbonated tingle) and the aftertaste borders on pleasant.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 21AUG03, this post is based on notes from that review and several tastings since. -

10-20-2003 01:10:08 | More by theozag
marcobrau

Oh, what the heck...found this can in the back of the fridge at my family's cottage in Michigan. My can of Bud was born on Dec. 23, 2002. This was past the 110 days that A-B considers Budweiser to be fresh. Remarkably this beer did not taste stale, but it didn't really taste like anything. The description I like to give Bud is barley and rice water. There's just the hint of a good beer. It's like it was a good beer that was watered down and has had the really good parts bred out of it. Ninety percent of the malt and hops washed out. There's just a hint of malt in the finish and a light bit of dryness and that characteristic Bud flavor, sort of a very faint apple-skin flavor. Perhaps this is the result of the much talked about beechwood aging. Has anyone noticed Bud's claim that it is the best beer at any price????

I don't think so.

10-13-2003 03:15:14 | More by marcobrau
PZuke

2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

The self proclaimed king of Beer <Fill in your joke here>. I was at a party the other day and it was either this or Bud light(review soon to come) so I chouse the lesser of two evils. This beer has a clean yellow color with some carbonation. The smell of grain and malt was very noticeable. The first taste was that of grain and corn. While this might be good in some cases this is not my first choice when it comes to beer. While I did not care for the taste that much I did think it was drinkable and it was very easy going down. Don’t drink this beer.

09-26-2003 18:56:00 | More by PZuke
alexgash

Connecticut

1.9/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally got my hands on this rare brew. I made sure to set aside an entire evening for this tasting/reviewing. Almost clear, very pale straw body with a very bubbly, yet quickly dissipating white head. Smell is [corn?] malt aromas with some subtle hops. Grainy, lightly sweet corn adjunct taste up front with a disappointing, unbalanced finish of not enough hops. Very taste-less, but not horrible.

09-08-2003 03:46:45 | More by alexgash
Dmann

2.88/5  rDev +23.6%

I was recently at a wedding reception and I had Bud for the first time in about 3 years. Although the pour was pretty weak and the smell was of your typifal grain and rice, the taste was pretty smoothe if your goal is just toi get fucked up! It had a decent sweet malfy flavor with almost no hint of hops in the taste. If you are looking for a beer to go down smoothly then this is to one!

09-04-2003 09:04:21 | More by Dmann
Shaw

2.33/5  rDev 0%

I know we all love to bash A-B and Budweiser in particular. I've made countless Bud jokes over the years. Well, at my buddy's wedding, this was the only beer available -- along with Bud Light.

I got at 12 oz. longneck and prepared for the worst. And, I have to admit, I was surprised. Bud wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered! While it sure looked bad (very off-yellow, bordering on clear) and didn't smell that great (snort! snort! anything?) it didn't taste bad at all.

Let me make this clear, though. It didn't taste good, either. It just didn't taste bad. I would say Bud is neutral, with a little grainy-corn-rice adjunct flavor.

If you're out of water, try Bud. It's very similar and you sure can drink it as fast. And it has alcohol in it.

The biggest tragedy is the effort A-B puts into brewing this. With their incredible tech and output, they could make an unbelieveable beer and sell it everywhere. Oh well, I guess Bud sells and to a big business, that's the most important fact.

08-31-2003 02:47:05 | More by Shaw
kindestcut

2.15/5  rDev -7.7%

Beer number 3 in my continuing cruise seer series. As with the Heineken, I decided to have a Bud because I had tired of the mediocre imports. And on a cruise ship, if you don't have what's available, you don't have anything. This time, and this may have been due to those same bad imports, I was pleasantly surprised. Oh, I'm not going to give Bud a high rating but it was better than the Heiny.

The Bud poured a yellow gold with a vigorous ehad and vivacious carbonation. This looks like the Alka Seltzer of beer and that's not too far from the truth. The aroma was very slight, touches of grain, malt and hops.

OK, the Bud didn't taste all that bad. I drank it fast and it was a thirst quencher. However, without getting too much into the flavor profile here (it's a very brief profile...grain, slight hops and distant sweetness) it's best to just sum up the discussion by saying that it is not a good beer but in fact serves a purpose as a beer for a hot day. The end.

08-28-2003 18:32:33 | More by kindestcut
UnionMade

Colorado

1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

The beer spouts forth from the tap a pale, leering lemon yellow, with a relatively fat, unnaturally carbonated head, much like a soda. Far too pale to be an all malt beer, with that much alcohol. This is the stuff borne of rice. Head thins out to nearly nothing almost immediately, maintained only with a healthy dose of forced carbonation.
Aroma is rich with rice adjunct. Mild noble hop presence, with just a touch of actual malt. Slight alcohol, which actually enhances the aroma of this liquid wonder.
Flavor is initially nothing, traveling into a metallic rice sweetness, with a fairly clean hopping towards the end. Carbonation is sodalike and large bubbled. Very artificial tasting. Regardless of their natural carbonation claims, I'm not buying it. Absolutely no aftertaste. This is perhaps one of the most inoffensive beers I've ever had. So bland, I really can't think of anything funny to say about it. Not really terrible, but there's so much better out there, why bother?

08-24-2003 18:39:01 | More by UnionMade
SilentSabre

North Dakota

1.83/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Why Budweiser sells the way it does should be the eighth wonder of the world. Extremely over marketed, this is truly a bad beer when one considers the countless other brews in this world of ours. Appearance is typical for a main stream American beer. A weak head with weak lace, "Bud" is literally urine yellow. The smell is again typical for a main streamer. The taste is weak and dull. I saw where someone else called Bud "alcoholic water", and must say that is indeed an accurate description. Not a terrible lot happening with mouthfeel, either. Feels like you've got a mouth full of highly carbonated, over rated sub-standard beer. Wait a minute... you do! Finish leaves a bit of an after taste you'll be burping up for hours to come. A lot of folks like this stuff; "why" remains a mystery.

08-23-2003 13:59:00 | More by SilentSabre
RoyalT

2.68/5  rDev +15%

Appearance – Light yellow in the body with nice-looking carbonation. I was able to work a little head out of the can with some good arm action on the pour.

Smell – Classic American graininess. I thought for a second that I could smell some hops, but I was wrong.

Taste – More grain in the flavor with a touch of gummi-bear sweetness at the finish.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation is just right and it went down pretty smooth for me. No bad surprises here, which is important when striving for mediocrity.

Drinkability – Ice cold, can-fermented, and skunk free make this beer a winner.

Comments – The King is a good standard for American piss beers. It’s smooth, well carbonated, and refreshing. Of course, it’s mostly water with little to no body, but it goes good with pretzels, pizza, or a four pound salt lick.

08-16-2003 23:36:39 | More by RoyalT
garymuchow

2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with big white fizzy head that leaves very quickly on its own, leaving only a white ring. Clear as water, with a yellow/gold color. Aroma is clean and somewhat crisp, with a slight grainy malt quality and a shot of hops. Not as pleasing as some macros. Flavor is shallow overall, and make it's presence greatest on the finish with a not unpleasant hop dryness, that gives it a refreshing quality. At the beginning the carbonation is most present with a slight stinging on the tip of the tongue followed by a bland malt taste. Very thin, with soft fullness from carbonation that is excessive (hic).
Bud is what it is. They give me soccer on TV for free.

08-07-2003 23:17:40 | More by garymuchow
granger10

Wisconsin

2.75/5  rDev +18%

This isn't bad at all. Better than basically any light beer there is. The adjuncts are still strong with a rice flavor that is listed on the bottle. But it gives me more taste than other macro lagers can. It is crisp and refreshing something I need after working in this summer heat.

08-06-2003 20:57:03 | More by granger10
beerguy101

1.53/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bud is Bud. It IS an amazing fact that they can brew so much of this stuff and it always tastes the same. Lots of better beers and lots of beers that are worse. Lt gold color, large head. Lt flavor, no maltyness, some hoppyness. Pilsner Style beer, but very light flavor. Neutral mouthfeel, some hoppyness on tongue. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is neutral, slightly bitter.

08-03-2003 00:23:00 | More by beerguy101
SetarconeX

1.8/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer is a wonderous example of what multi-million dollar ad campaigns can do for what is really a rather lousy product. Now, this isn't the worst beer I've ever had, but it's way down at the bottom of my list. Watery taste, no real smell to speak of, and worst of all, when poured into a glass, it has a color that manages to have the closest possible resemblance to urine.

All in all, this is what I like to refer to as "a beer of last resort."

07-31-2003 22:43:22 | More by SetarconeX
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -29.2%

Ach. This can of Bud came from the A/B brewery, not Labatt. The difference is amazing. When the tab was opened, an immediate smell of white rice came wafting through the air. Poured a typical Budweiser colour, with a very faint head. Smelled of rice, corn, other adjuncts, and that's it. No malt, no hops. Tasted bland. Sort of a Molson Canadian taste, but weaker. I can see why people slam this beer.

07-29-2003 21:53:08 | More by slitherySOB
daledeee

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev +18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I don't know why I rate these. I guess it is because my town is hung up on nothing but macros everywhere you go. Pours yellow a little half inch head....yadayada. Taste is a little hoppy and malty. Served cold it is drinkable. Not that bad. Contrary to aging beer they like to tell you when it will spoil. I hate to admit I drank this for many years. But my excuse is I was not aware of what was available.

07-24-2003 01:01:00 | More by daledeee
konabrewer

3.68/5  rDev +57.9%

This is the beer we grew up on....
As a brewer I find it amazingly consistant and the fact that it is brewed in several different locations across the country makes it even more impressive!!!

Appearance: Light Golden, perfectly bright. To me it looks like the most amazing summer day!!
Smell: Slight Corn, pleasant and fresh
Taste: Crisp and light. Very Slight almost non-existant malt with a light pleasant clean hop finish
Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated; just what you want from a American lager. The can even adds to the experience. The can shimmers with melted ice from my cooler with wheels
Drinkability: Must I even say how drinkable this beer is. The most drinkable as far as I am concerned.

Bud is deliberately brewed, exceptionally crafted and completely ounded by many. This one should be enjoyed without too much thought!!!

07-22-2003 14:51:32 | More by konabrewer
brewdlyhooked13

2.6/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

7/15/2003 - Boston concert at Cincinnati Riverbend Music Center. After downing a Bud Light, I must find at least regular Bud. They serve it at either end of a 300 yard wide concession area, but nowhere in between. Idiots. The band hasn't started yet and the missus and I are still Smokin' from this warm day with high humidity, so I'm off for Round 2. As I'm walking back, I hear them doing Star Spangled Banner. It has begun.

I take my seat as they begin. All Boston, no warm-up band, are these guys good or what?

My Bud beer has a decidedly deeper yellow color than its Light brother, but it's still pretty pale. Thin but foamy head with lots of bubble supply from below. Slightly more malt aroma, but more adjunct aroma, too. Smells better than the cup though, which is about all I got sniffing Light.

This first Bud had significantly more taste than the Bud Light before it, so at least I stepped up a bit there. Grainier with lots of bubbles. More sweetness as well. Approaching dusk as I Cool The Engines with this Beer #2.

Beer #3, not much sweetness now, just the grain and the bubbles. Slightly more smooth going down, though. And it's not just More Than A Feeling that I shoulda stopped at the loo, it's a command. Calling to a Higher Power that I make it in time, I hoof it to the men's room for some relief. My wife calls out to bring another round. Goes without saying, so I Don't Look Back at her.

Beer #4 - the skies have opened up and drenched us to the bone. Boston plays 3 or 4 songs during the entire cloudburst without so much as a hesitation for applause between tunes, just a musical transition into each successive tune from these musically creative geniuses, battling the thunder from the sky above which also treats us to a higher altitude lightning show nothing short of awesome. What a Rock&Roll Band, huh? Very impressive. This beer, the alcohol taste prevails over the grain, but I don't care. The music is great, my wife is by my side (I'll skip any innuendo to Foreplay/Long Time here if you don't mind) and we have a Peace Of Mind as Boston plays for 2 and a half hours. A great evening despite the rain, an even better band, a top-notch lady by my side, but just an adequate beer.

07-17-2003 04:23:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Andreji

Colombia

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I expected much worse anyways, but the beer's a plain old mediocre lager. Pours a clean golden tone with carbonation and a medium white head that remains for a while and leaves some lacing. The smell, giving off some maltyness and hoppyness is not very strong.

The taste, somewhat sweet reflects the maltyness and is a tad bitter at the end but is rather too soft and the body is extremely watery which concurs with what should be its motto, "The king of mass-production".

07-16-2003 22:39:22 | More by Andreji
avylover

2.68/5  rDev +15%

I poured this in a glass for reviewing purposes, but I prefer to drink a beer like this out of the can...it just feels right to me. It's a pale clear yellow with little head or carbonation. Scent is slightly grainy & actually somewhat malty if you get a good whiff, with some other 'acidic' sort of scent, if that makes any sense. Not a whole lot to smell. The taste is very mild but not completely watery. There is something in the taste of Budweiser that sets it apart slighly from the other american mass produced lagers. Just enough taste for me to choose this over say MGD of something. Nothing special here, but tolerable. Leaves a bit of a syrupy mouthfel..never noticed that before really. Very easy to drink..not really that exciting to drink, but easy

07-10-2003 17:10:07 | More by avylover
TheDM

Indiana

1.83/5  rDev -21.5%

OK, I am taking my BA.com ratings seriously. I will even rate a .... ugh, must I say it, Budweiser. It has a mild fruity to no aroma. It has a head of fine bubbles that disappears quickly and body with a watery weak light yellow color. You can taste the carbonation in you r mouth. I look at the glass and bubbles are still rising off its bottom. I belch after the first taste. I can still taste the carbonation on my front teeth. The flavor is weak to non-existent. Definitely a no-character brew. There is no real flavor to speak of. There was very little lacing on the side of the glass. I belch again. Must I drink more of this swill? OK, I finished the glass and just had to come back and add one more point. I did get a buzz off this beer and for a cheap drunk; I had to bump up its rating. After all, it was only $0.89.

07-07-2003 15:29:14 | More by TheDM
hotstuff

Indiana

1.4/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. There was no lacing with this beer. The body was clear and yellow in hue. The carbonation was fizzy. The aroma was somewhat fruity. The initial flavor was moderately sweet and the finishing flavor was lightly sweet and lightly acidic. The mouthfeel was light, thin and watery.

07-01-2003 11:38:41 | More by hotstuff