Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.16/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

In honor of my first beer friday at work!! LOL This was the best beer available out of MGD, Bud-light, Miller lite this was the best option.

Appearance- Straw piss yellow with a whispy fizzy white cap. No lacing.

Smell- Nothing here but corn and metallic must. Maybe a faint hop aroma Maybe.

Taste- Corn and carbonated water. That is about all I can desipher.

Mouthfeel- THIN and watery. Doesn't stick to the mouth at all.

Drinkability- These are the classic american pounder. I had a six pack last night and felt like I was drinking water the entire time.

Overall- There is nothing that stands out here, I have drank this stuff for years. This and high life are the only American MACRO lagers that I will even touch for weekends that I am a little light in the wallet.

2.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Served in the famous Big Red Cup (32oz) at The Deli in Norman.

Wispy white head with ultra-filtered clarity. Clean, moderately sweet graininess throughout. No hop presence whatsoever. Heavy carbonation. Goes down like filtered water, only without as much character.

It's only real flaw is that it has absolutely no flavor.

2.63/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a really pale yellow color. What little head it did have quickly dissipated to nothing within a minute - almost like soda.

S: Rice, corn, and some other nondescript grains. Some unpleasant metallic quality is detectable with the nose as well.

T: Lots of grain - rice and stale bread. A little of the metallic aroma makes its way into the flavor as well. A touch of sweetness seems to make its way into the taste as well. Buttered corn maybe?

M: This is really where this beer suffers. It somehow manages to be disappointingly watery and yet moderately medium bodied at the same time. Everything would be made better if this just wasn't so watery. I cannot be too harsh here, thought. It is an American Adjunct Lager after all, and while I may not like it, it's supposed to be lightish.

D: Obviously this is not the "King of Beers". However, I don't think it's THAT bad. Don't get me wrong, I won't be buying 6 packs of Bud anytime soon. However, if served ice cold and in the proper social setting I won't refuse to drink a few of these. As far as American Adjuncts go, there are far worse ones out there.

1.31/5  rDev -44.3%

This really is as bad as one might think after a year on beeradvocate. Appearance is OK - straw with thin white lacing.

Smell is almost non-existent and there is an adjunct rice note going on and taste much the same.

Mouthfeel is very hmmm light and drinkability is pour away mate...

1.41/5  rDev -40%

Never liked Bud when I drank just to get drunk in the 80's and early 90's. Still don't understand why people buy it. ( ok...cool commercials ) Very little taste, to carbonated...even for American Domestic beers. I would rather drink....well, just about anything.

2.11/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a clear yellow straw with a big off white head that dissipates quickly leaving small amounts of lacing.

Smells of corn and metal.

The taste follows the smell but add a yeasty taste in there as well.

Mouthfeel is awful, very overcarbonated.

Keep this cold as possible and its not bad on a very hot day.

2.56/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a clear, but dull straw yellow color. At first a surprisingly large two finger white head forms. Though there is very poor retention, and not lace.
S: Cooked corn and veggies. A sour mineral/sulfur aroma. Light grain and very light sweetness lingers.
T: Not nearly as bad as the nose. Grain and sweet caramel malt up front. Corn and a mineral flavor as well. Still, palatable.
M/D: A light body and higher carbonation. Though not over carbonated. Crisp, and not as watery as I was suspecting. Not hard to drink for what it is. Usually the high carbonation kills the drinkability for me. Though, really not bad.

Not the worst thing I have ever had. Which is the reason I am reviewing this. Still nothing I would drink other than at a baseball game (when nothing else is available), though one of the better versions for macro crap that I have had.

1.38/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours an enormous frothy head. Color is dull yellow.

Smell is ...hard to tell. There isn't much to smell here.

First sip has a very light malt presence. Not much hops present at all.

Simply put: a very VERY bland beer without many redeeming qualities at all.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

1.34/5  rDev -43%

Beautiful beer to look at freshly poured. It has a nice head and is copiously carbonated with a crystal clear golden color. Consumption of this beer however is ill advised. This is usually the beer first consumed by beer newbs and quickly turns them off to the thought of drinking another beer. The people usually drinking Budweiser are the peopel looking for the cheapest brew and have no interest in paying more for something palatable. If consumed ice cold and not allowed to warm it could be used in emergency situations like in the Sahara deset or Death Valley where the other option is dehydration and death. Drinking this above 50 degree temps will make you gag. This beer is best left to frat boys and their parties. Still works good at getting chicks to get naked if you are on a budget.

1.98/5  rDev -15.7%

A: From the pitcher to the pint glass, a clear yellow with a bit of quickly vanishing white foam.

S: Rice and corn, unpleasant.

T: Watery corn and rice with vague malt.

M: Incredibly thin, but kind of harsh putting down.

D: Low ABV, but the taste is so bad that one must only partake when absolutely no other option is available.

1.8/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a clear and very pale yellow, with a very fine white head that dissipates away.

Smells like corn.

Tastes about the same, corn and barley malts. Watered down.

Feel is thin and kind of flat.

Not very good. Would be easy to chug a lot of but that's about it. The corn ruins any chance it has of being enjoyable.

2.61/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Budweiser has a pale straw looking color with little to no head when poured.

S: I can't smell anything in Budweiser

T: A small hint of corn and rice is detected in this beer

M: This beer goes down smooth

D: This is one of the many "Everyday" beers that can be found everywhere

2.41/5  rDev +2.6%

A: A crystal clear pale straw color. A tall, white head bubbles up with a fairly dense, foamy texture. Retention is average, with a decent smattering of lace.

S: A sweet, vaguely adjuncty nose, with hints of corn and rice along with faint barley malt. Faint notes of metal and fruitiness.

T: A lightly malty sweetness up front. A few hints of corn and a dryness that comes unmistakably from rice, but flavor is pretty nondescript. A hint of the standard Bud green apple flavor is also available, with notes of metal and sulfur into the finish.

M: Light-bodied, with moderately active carbonation. Quite dry into the finish.

D: Pretty inoffensive, and as the dubious standard-bearer for American macros, it's pretty representative. Reasonably refreshing and mostly inoffensive, but this lacks character as well as flavor. I go back and forth on this one, but I'd take a High Life over this any day.

2.71/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: The usual straw yellow adjunct coloring. Bone white head that starts off at around one and a half fingers and sticks around as a decent cap throughout. There is actually a splotch of lacing here and there. Overall it's a tad better than it's brethren.

Smell: Primarily an adjunct corn smell with a metallic vat twang to it. There's also some generic malted barley in the background and that's about it.

Taste: The same for the most part. Fairly clean flavor when it's fresh out of the fridge. The metallic off flavors start to present themselves the longer the beer sits out. In addition to the corn and malted barley there is just the slightest flash of hops at the finish. It's not bitter so much as it is almost grassy.

Mouthfeel: Rampant, tongue prickling carbonation. I suppose carbonating it to this level may somehow deter the palate from picking up further off flavors? I don't quite understand why they force carbonate this to such an extreme level. Body is an inkling thicker than water.

Drinkability: Relatively unoffensive as long as you keep it as cold as possible. I think this may be one, if not thee, only case where I'd considering using a frosted glass. Continuing on there are certainly less off-flavors than I've experienced in some other adjuncts, particularly Miller.

Overall as I said it's pretty unoffensive, but really why bother when there are so many superior beer styles out there? I got this bottle for free, so I figured I'd review it.

2.96/5  rDev +26%

Pours into a pilsner glass a clear pale yellow with a thick pure white head which quickly settles, releasing decent lacing, however.

The smell is dominated by adjuncts, with but a hint of barley. I cannot detect the hops by scent alone.

The taste is crisp, clean. Not the most complex beer in the world for sure, but tastes of rice, malty sweet grainy barley, as well as a tinge of spicy noble hops.

Extremely light-bodied with appropriate carbonation and inoffensive tastes make Bud a fairly drinkable beer.

I just wanted to add that I was very surprised at how un-horrible the king of beers really is when I take an objective look at it. Budweiser is certainly a shallow blonde, but believe me, you can do a lot worse at your local gas station.

If I'm going to drink BMC its going to be Budweiser. It's the best of the big 3 and the most distinctive flavor wise. It truly does taste like a lager, and a little bit of wheat hops and malt comes through in there, but none of them stand out. Just a classic American working man's beer. For all of us on Ba, it's just something our friends drink.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Normal for the style, light yellow. Head dies quickly.

S - Also normal for the style, metallic and some corn. Lacking.

T - Pretty typical for style. Light malt and mostly grainy and corny taste/sweetness. Not bad or offensive but not great.

M - Light bodied and high carbonation.

D - Could drink lots of them if you wanted to. But that's because it's light with not a lot of flavor.

Notes: Well pretty typical for the style, not great but not offensive at least. Ok as far as the style goes and has its situations which it would be drank at.

3.58/5  rDev +52.3%

Budweiser tends to grow on a person after repeated sampling. I would contend that A-B (InBev) puts out other products that are lower priced, but better. Bud has a common appearance, aroma, taste, mouth feel, etc., but Anheuser-Busch's fanatical quality control process guarantees that any Budweiser anywhere will be identical. A friend of mine, a loyal Bud drinker says, "When you drink one, you know you're drinking Budwieser." It is certainly distinctive.

RJT

3.4/5  rDev +44.7%

For an American Macro lager, this one really does the trick. The beer is all about balance, as is other good Macro lagers. It's a tough world in the world of ML's, but the things a brewer needs to stand out just might be to alter the recipe a bit. Conventionally beer is made with barley right? So they took this one, put some rice in there instead and out came this really drinkable, tasty macro lager that has done the trick for many people mowing the lawn on a hot day. It's a cut above what one would usually drink on a hot day. Great session beer too.

3.43/5  rDev +46%

Budweiser 12 oz Bottle

A - Looks very light but for the average American Lager it fits the category

S - Smell is grainy, I can detect the rice used but cannot detect any hops

T - I actually Like the taste of Budweiser. The grainy malty taste along with the rice I find to be decent and for the price of a case of Budweiser, you can't go wrong!

M - Very carbonated goes down smooth but has a bad aftertaste

D - I can drink Budweiser all day if I wanted too. Very light and refreshing, crisp, very enjoyable on a hot summer day and for hanging out with some friends watching some sports.

2.88/5  rDev +22.6%

A - Clear light gold with a two finger foamy white head.

S - Typical macro grain, rice, and alcohol aroma. Can't detect any hops.

T - Reminds me of a Pilsner but lighter and less flavorful. Refreshing and crisp lager, but not above average. Watery with some trace hops.

M - Very light and overcarbonated.

D - Sessionable American lager. No more no less.

Overall, one of the smoother American macros that does the trick on a budge t but does not fulfill my hophead needs.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

Budweiser 40 oz. bottle

A: The appearance is of a typical light beer. Tranlucent with a yellow tint that looks average of a lighter beer.

S: The smell is relatively the same of it son... Bud Light. However, it has a little more of a stronger smell. Smells malty and kind of has a metallic scent to it.

T: Well, the taste isn't too appealing to me, but I enjoy it because it fits the budget. Taste of malts, little bit of hops and rice.

M: The mouthful wasnt impressive to me. The taste of the beer made the mouthful of the beer unappealing to me, but like I said before... It fits the budget.

D: I can drink a lot of this beer and I will. This beer isn't my ideal beer, but it's good for what it is.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

I have Snorkapotamus to thank for this bottle...and only myself to blame for requesting it.

Back in my mid-teens I played in a covers band and remember jamming on Van Halen's "Unchained" while drinking Budweiser from the bottle, nabbed from a parental stash. The forbidden nature of the act made the beer taste better than it was. I thought it was kind of yucky, but it was beer, and just two bottles gave a 15-year-old one hellish buzz. I got used to it, and even thought Budweiser was "my beer." Until college, when I found imports like St. Pauli Girl and Newcastle. Fast-forward to 1995 or so and I'm introduced to Belgians and Sam Adams' Triple Bock (aka "That's BEER?"). My beer world finally began changing for the better. 15 years later, I feel the need to taste Budweiser again.

A: I don't have good experiences with beer this color. Super-duper filtering going on here, the liquid a sickly, pale piss-yellow. Head is a brilliant bone-white, but oddly it doesn't last long, breaking up into a crown quickly.

S: Aroma is mostly boiled corn, which certainly tastes awesome on a cob with butter and salt, but as a beer aroma? Not really. A sickly sweetness tries to push through, very Splenda/Nutrasweet.

T: For a second, there's something about the flavor that's quite nice, reminding of a standard Czech pils leaning toward that fun/gross sugary weirdness of a strong Euro lager. Make that a millisecond, because the flavor is paper-thin and lacks beery oomph of any sort, and then an insanely dry, crisp finish mops up whatever flavor does linger.

M: Super-tingly carbonation, and that's about it. The incredible crispness pretty much just wipes out every flavor and textural impression.

D: I still think Budweiser is yucky.

2.76/5  rDev +17.4%

I've put down lots of Budweiser over the last few years when I've been with friends at parties and dive bars. This sample is from a bottle I stole from a party last week, and now drinking in the comfort of my home. On to the beer:

Into a stange it goes, the beer is a very pale straw color. Big soapy head sits on top of it. Run of the mill head retention. The aroma is simple. A snap of sour green apple. Very clean nose.

This beer is taken from the "less is more" apporach to making macro lagers. There's a little flavor to make you keep drinking it, and thankfully it's not spit out awful. Green apple flavor is the most noticable note. A trace of grain towards the end makes me think of Frito's corn chips for some reason. It is crisp and clean and light in the mouth. A touch too light with a touch more carbonation than prefered.

Very easy to drink, though I'll admit my taste buds begin to get bored after 3 or 4. Not nasty like some adjunct lagers, and it's a good "warm up" beer...in fact, I have a Black Butte XXI waiting in the wings.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch