Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Budweiser, everyone knows it, many hate it, many love it, some don't give a rats ass about it, like me!! Pours a very weak yellow color with a lot of fuzziness. Smells like water. Tastes sweet, slightly malty and very watery. Mouthfeel like carbonated water. Overall it's quite drinkable but who really cares. Budweiser pride themselves in only using the best ingredients, but why? This is a nothing beer for tasteless folk.

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 14, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -15%

The beer was poured from the can into my Arrogant Bastard pub glass. As the cold beer hits my glass I can hear the theme music. This is Budweiser. This is Buweiser the King is here. This is Budweiser this is beer...

Appearance: The beer is a clear bubbling pale yellow. The head is about two fingers high. The head is a rocky off white coloration. Suprisingly the head actually had a bit of staying power.

Smell: The beer really doesnt have a lot going on as far as the smell. The beer has no off smells noted. The beer smells of sweet corn cereal inspite of a rice base.

Taste: The beer has a corny cereal flavor. A slight floral zing at the end of the flavor may be the hops. No off flavors noted in the beer just not alot going on.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is watery thin and borders on light body. The carbonation is probably the most annoying thing about this beer. I found the carbonation to be stinging. This beer wasnt the chore I thought it would be to drink. This isnt the worst beer. It is far from the King of beers. This beer has no real smells or taste to it. The body of the beer really doesnt have anything to reccomend it. If this was my only choice I think I would do without a beer.

nlmartin, Jan 08, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -29.2%

(Served in a half-pint glass)

A- This beer is crystal clear with a very light hue of pale yellow and a strong carbonation of big bubbles racing through the body. The head is a snow white thin film of big bubbles that fades pretty quickly.

S- The smell if very clean in aroma but there is a faint soft salty raw corn note with a faint hint of dry green that could be from hops in the finish.

T- The carbonic acid dominates the taste with a faint salty hint with a finish of tang that might be from hops. The tangy note hangs on the breath for a small bit after each sip.

M- This beer has a light clean mouthfeel with a big fizz that makes it appear more full.

D- This beer is very light and clean with no malt taste and a faint hint of hops but it is not a bitterness. The biggest part of this beer is the bubbles. I'm impressed that they can high the alcohol in a beer this light.

rhoadsrage, Jan 01, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

I think a high percentage of the folks on this site have had their share of budweiser. Unless your dad was a homebrewer, your first exposure to beer in highschool or college was likely the King of Beers.

I recently ended up with some in my fridge after a party, and was pleasantly surprised. It was like sitting in an old car or a battered family cottage. You know its a piece of crap, but the odd familiarity is comforting.

If it's been a while since you had a Bud, in my case it had been 9 years, I would recommend you try one again.

The appearance is bland yellow, the smell is bland, but the ricey taste and smooth mouthfeel might be comforting to you. It certainly will bring back memories of drinking in the woods or in someone's basement.

But don't forget that drinking too much of this alcoholic yellow water will lead to very bad things the next day. Why do Macros do such evil things to a person's digestive system?

JimFalzone, Dec 29, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +30%

Not that good, but better than I thought it would be. Tastes sweet, though not sure what from. Smells slightly sweet. Crisp and clean. Quite drinkable. Light bodied, but not as light as I was expecting. Wish I had more to say, but this beer just didn't strike me. Okay for what it is, there are definitely worse macros out there.

MrHurmateeowish, Dec 24, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -21.5%

This mass produced lager poours a pale light yellow, with a white head that disapated quickly. A bit of thin lacing and a crown which fades fast. Quite a bit of carbonation too. The smell is rather metallic with definite rice and malts. The taste is a bland with a bit of a harsh hoppy aftertaste which I found frankly nasty. It's crisping and watery with very little body. It's fairly refreshing, maybe after a number of pints of the good stuff, but clearly not something I would drink. I merely tried it because I had the opportunity to review it.

zuggy9, Dec 22, 2006
2.9/5  rDev +24.5%

12 oz bottle to pint glass.

A - Crystal-clear, pale-straw (uh... this looks familiar... hint. hint.) Little to no visible carbonation and a big, soft head that sinks into a thin film without much lacing.

S - Not a bad smell - plain malts and rice with slight metalic notes.

T - Crisp, smooth... beer-water. Finish is slightly alcoholic with the smallest whisp of a hop, somewhere, maybe.

M - crisp, thin, not much too it.

D - I won't lie - this is refreshing.
but so is water.

isaac, Dec 16, 2006
2.42/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a very pale yellow, almost clear. Thin head, which quickly disappears. Very fizzy, lots of carbonation. Looks extremely watery.

S: Smell is sharp with a light grainy malt aroma. Scent of hops is undetectable.

T: Not much flavor here. Some grain and husk, probably from the corn and rice. Slightly sour bite. No hops to speak of. Finishes dry and very clean. It should be noted that the consistency of taste in such a light beer is impressive. Kudos to Budweiser in that regard.

M: Light in body. Thin and fizzy. Very much like sparkling water.

D: Low ABV and relative lack of taste make this a session beer that appeals to millions of people. I must admit, it does go down easy. It's also pretty tasty at a cookout. However, there are much better alternatives within the macro lager category.

BassAssassin, Dec 12, 2006
1.48/5  rDev -36.5%

We crammed ourselves into the bar at 10:30 before the Ravens game, realizing too late that we should drag ourselves up much earlier for proper tailgating. Offered on tap, ice cold, for free were both Bud and Miller Light. Since I was to sample many brews this day, I thought I'd do a taste comparison
My thick, clear plastic cup was filled to the rim with a neon yellow liquid, with no head and very little carbonation. The Miller Light was golden and looked perfect.
A deep inhale gave an aroma of a dive bar at 10 a.m. on Sunday. For those of us familiar, it is that unique flavor one gets before they use the cheap cleaning fluids. Mmm, sulfur and funk.
Very low bitterness, some malts, and lots of rice and corn flavors. That is what they are shooting for here, since on the brewery tour they make sure that you understand the rice/corn is good for you and improves the beer. This is a bastard child of a beer.

Finished crisp and clean, since it really didn’t get warm in the cup with the freezing weather. Only really drinkable if you keep it ice cold. Must be the beach wood aging.

Umbra, Dec 05, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -48.5%

Appearance: A yellow lager that is very bright from a very thero filtering.Not much head at all only a small white head that lasts only seconds.

Smell: All that is presesnt is a vegetable aromo from the corn that is used. No hops or any other malt at all.

Taste: Hardly any malt flavor at all. overwhelming vegetable taste from yet again all that cheap low grade corn that is used. As for the hops there are none to be seen, but there is a funky after taste that lingers around for a while.

Mouthfeel: Very light beer with not much malt or hops it is a very watery beer with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Even though I hate this beer, something was done right cause it is one of the biggest selling beer in the world. So for drinkability the statistics say yes while I say no. This beer has no tastefull malt, no presence of hops of any kind, has a nasty after taste, is watery and lifeless. The only thing that is respectfull about this beer is its filtering and the fact that AB sat down and came up with a recipe that try to offend the least amount of people to make it the #1 most bought beer in the world. (its still awful)

simmons, Nov 29, 2006
2.75/5  rDev +18%

Born on November 8, 2006. So, I'm drinking a 19 day old beer.

Poured from a bottle into a frozen glass mug. 3/4 inch of head formed but quickly disappeared into a small ring of foam around the edge of the glass.

Smell is typical of a macro, but very faint.

Taste is that of a macro, but a little bit more. Rice is present but welcomed somehow. Very faint hint of hops, but more than other macrobrews. Nothing really offensive, but I appreciate a macrobrew that doesn't completely suck while still enjoying the greats.

Mouthfeel is very watery.

Drinkability is the best part of a Budweiser. No offensive tastes, clean finish. Can't really complain when it comes down to realizing that this is a macrolager.

barrettds, Nov 28, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Looks like your typical American Macro. Smells like it. Taste is better than it looks or smells, but I won't flatter. Mouth is bubbles and water. On a hot summer day, I will have it, if it's the last thing available. Chances are, if you are drinking this and posting a review, your buddy gave you this and it was your only choice.

ewurm, Nov 26, 2006
1.18/5  rDev -49.4%

I really tried to be objective and review solely on what was in the glass, not what was on the label. In all honesty the only thing that even remotely reminded me of beer was the color and modest head. There was a vague recollection of hops in the aroma, almost as if this beer had talked to a hop plant in some dark, forgotten history. Beyond the appearance of a classic pilsner, any trace of the genes of the true lagers from Europe is long since been bred out of this beer. The taste and mouthfeel made me think of a Jones Soda that is "beer" flavored. The carbonation in this beer is way overdone; as if it had just come out of a bottle with a Co2 canister attached. This beer might be suitable to pour into a large pot for a crab boil, but only if you add enough other seasonings.

tozerm, Nov 26, 2006
2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz. Bottle

The appearance is a beautiful, clear golden. Good amount of carbonation bubbles rising from everywhere. I got a 2 finger head from a very aggresive pour. But it faded to zero head very fast. This is the first time I have ever poured a Bud into a glass so I thought I'd be generous with the first few words.

The smell doesn't have much to offer. I've been on a IPA kick lately so I expected nothing from Bud. I've drank this so many times before but never once smelled it. Now that I do smell it I can get that corn/adjunct aroma. Maybe it's just my mind but I do smell that green apple skin.

Taste isn't much. The more I drink the more corn I taste. I used to drink this shit constantly but now it's almost a chore. Thanks A LOT BAs Now I can't even get drunk for cheap. Actually I can still choke it down, but It is tough.

Mouthfeel is almost non-existent which is exactly what Bud wants it to be. They did a good job.

Drinkability is high. That's what Anheuser thrives on is the drinkability. They get high marks for that just cause if you're drinking Bud you're probably drinking at least a 12-pack. If you're in school drink it up if it's free. "Diesel" is the best you'll find at most college parties.

I had this Bud in my fridge. I drank enough of it to give a review and I came to the point that.... I'm allergic. I sneezed a good 15 times while trying to write this review. So my final words "Stay away from the swill. It'll make you sneeze and if it doesn't make you sneeze, it just tastes like shit".

Slainte!

joe1510, Nov 12, 2006

A buddy of my roommate's left a bunch of these around and I figured what the hell.

2.0's across the board here.

Not much going on at all and what little flavor and substance it has isn't very good.

I'll give Anheuser Busch credit for keeping all their various beers consistent... impressive given the sheer volume they produce.

That's however where the complements end . From it's pale as pale can be color, to it's decent, though very very short lived head (was truly only there for a matter of seconds)... This is simply below par in every way.

Going to drink a St. Bernardus Prior 8 in an attempt to free my abused tastebuds.

JoeyHotrod, Nov 12, 2006
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Presentation: 12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale gold with a finger of white head that reduces to just a thin ring within a minute. Very bubbly.

Aroma: VERY light malt in the nose, no hops, but strangely enough, I smell a very faint sour apple.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very thin and crisp with a soda water like carbonation. Malt flavors are there, and are pretty strange. I can't really put my finger on it. All I can say is I don't much care for it. No hop flavors that I can pick out. Wait, was that something? Yeah, there it is. Like viewing the Andromeda galaxy with the naked eye, you can tell it's there, but only a vague impression. Very clean finish.

Notes: I admire this beer for its clean aroma and flavor. It takes some brewing skill (and the right equipment) to produce something as clean and consistent as this. However, I've always found the flavor of Budweiser and the like to be quite objectionable. I can barely finish 12 ounces of this.

jdoolin, Nov 10, 2006
2.8/5  rDev +20.2%

Presentation: 12 Oz brown glass bottle.

Appearance: Very pale and yellow like straw, with a thin white lace that barley holds on.

Smell: Very clean smell to it with faint malt and grain overtures.

Taste: Crisp and smooth taste with a clean aftertaste, hint of fermented rice and malts.

Mouth-Feel: Very smooth without much for a mouth-feel

Drink-Ability: Very cheap good beer to drink if you just want to get buzzed.

mnesporov, Nov 08, 2006
2.78/5  rDev +19.3%

Ya know if you're just out to get a buzz go for it and don't pay too much attention on the taste go for Budweiser.

Poors a moderate head that disappears and no lace. Color is that of straw. Smell is mild and somewhat grainy. Tastes of rice and that's about it, noticable throughout. Has consistency of water and water and alcohol dominate the tastes.

I'd drink this beer once in every blue moon for its alcohol and that's about it. And in that event I'd go with something quite a bit cheaper like Schlitz or Old Style.

Adamthome1, Nov 01, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

This is all my father usually stocks at his house so I had a few. Pours an extremely clear, light straw color with a head that fizzes up like soda and dissappears as soon as it appears. No lacing. Smells of rice, extremely mild hops, and a slight skunkiness. Taste is of water with a slight dose of grain and hops. Very undesirable in my opinion. Mouthfeel is extremely thin and watery with soda-like carbonation. So carbonated that it burns your throat going down. Sure, it's drinkable if you just want to catch a buzz at a party but to have a great session and truly enjoy what you are drinking, definitely not.

It's funny because I watched a special on Discovery CHannel the other day and it showed the brewing process and all the beechwood they used. I'm really not sure what the beechwood adds to this beer. Whatever it is, I cannot taste it.

Overall, it is what it is. An American Macro than serves it's purpose but isn;t exactly a Beer Advocate brew.

Doomcifer, Oct 30, 2006
2.48/5  rDev +6.4%

24oz can

Budweiser was pale yellow in color with a white head. The head quickly dissipated to a very thin layer and eventually became just a thin ring. The aroma was very light with a little grain. The taste was light as well, crisp and clean with a dry finish. It did not taste bad, but there is just not much there to taste. The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated. Drinkability was about average, much better than a light beer. Overall I would not recommend Budweiser to anyone that actually likes beer.

afinepilsner, Oct 15, 2006
2.75/5  rDev +18%

Well, I thought I'd give my take on the self proclaimed "King of beers".

This should be referred to as the average of all Mass produced beers.... not a King by any stretch.

Pouring the can into a pint glass produced a rapid head that dissapeared as quickly as I poured it. The thin yellow appearance (I hesitate to refer to it as amber) was just average.

The scent has something that is unique to Bud.... I can't put my finger on it.... is it a woody smell?

The taste has this unique little twang that I can only refer to as a woody taste... is that the "beechwood aging"?

overall taste and drinkability are passabe but not to my liking.... if it's the only thing available.... I'll drink it.... but most times I'll take a pass.

TheBierBand, Oct 11, 2006
3.23/5  rDev +38.6%

I realize that this beer outsells anything in the U.S. hands down, but I've never been much of an AB fan, even long before I gained an appreciation for craft beer. I like the fact that it is American owned, but megacorporations like AB and Wal Mart are just bad in general. I digress. A: Standard yellow low carbonated American lager appearance. S: A little hoppier than many american macros with a definite corn aroma with something that I would characterize as beechwood? T: Pretty smooth mild with a nice clean finish really not too bad. M: Clean and crisp nice carbonation balance D: In the past if Bud approached warmer temps I would pitch it, but this session it actually seemed to improve when not ice cold. I was surprised to say the least how much I liked this beer. It still pains me to patronize AB, but if I find myself in a pinch for selection(Mom and pop markets at the lake are a prime example), I will now consider something that I previously would not have.

veech, Sep 29, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Born on July 30, 2006. Served at just over fridge temperature in a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours a bright, medium straw color, creating a nice snow white crown that peaks at about an inch. It lasts a few minutes, popping and dwindling to a thin even mat. Terrific effervescence coming from deep inside the glass, keeping the head from disappearing completely. Nice looking macro.

Smell- a cereal-like, cloying aroma obscures any worthwhile notes of malt or hops... it just reeks of cheap filler. F+.

Taste- A combination of really weak flavors that include cereal, cooked vegetables, and cheap grains. The last-minute indication of hops does nothing to improve the palate here, which is sorely lacking in complexity or character.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- To its credit, the carbonation is restrained just to the right degree... there is much action and life, but it doesn't wreck the inside of the mouth. Soft yet busy. The watery finish is a letdown, and it emphasizes the adjuncts in a negative way. Not a good beer for waxing poetic over, just another mass-produced American macro offering for the majority who will settle.

yelterdow, Sep 24, 2006
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Fizzy Yellow beer, the only thing going for it is it's availability and drinkability. Same everytime, everywhere, whatever serving. Everybar, including some of the best beer bars, carry this or Bud Light. I don't recommend it but, it is what it is.

Ozone34, Sep 24, 2006
2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow with a large white foamy head. It's not too bad looking,but the color is too light. The smell is were the big macros really go belly up. There is almost no smell at all in this,maybe a small scent of corn or sweet malt,but that's it. The taste is crisp and clean with sweet malt, corn, and floral flavors. The m/f is light and what little flavors there are mix well. Bud is very drinkable, you can say what you want,but it goes down easy,when cold, it's everywhere, and you can drink alot of it. Budweiser is what it is. A large macro that appeals to the masses. It's not great,but it has its place in the beer kingdom.

jmz62565, Sep 23, 2006