Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +65.8%

16 oz can poured into my Budweiser promo imperial pint glass, seemed only appropriate. Date on can is 22 Jan 09.

A: Heavy carbonation produces a snow white one-finger head that falls quickly. Bubbles continue to rise and keep a very thin patchy head on top. Extremely pale yellow, and crystal clear.

S: I'm pretty sure I can actually smell the CO2 that's being expelled, underneath a corny grain aroma (even though this is brewed with rice) and a faint smell of noble hops. Pretty bland.

T: Clean graininess that isn't at all sweet or malty, with a subtle hop character. An apple-y ester and just a hint of alcohol twang in the aftertaste.

M: Somewhat overcarbonated for my tastes, but very thin and smooth.

D: Extremely high, obviously. Nothing outstanding about it, but this beer is virtually flawless.

Note that I've taken the liberty of reviewing this as an "American Adjunct Lager" rather than as an IPA, as some others seem to enjoy doing. It is a world-class example of its style.

a10t2, Apr 18, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -17.5%

its been ages for me since i had a big three beer. so i decide on last run to the six pack to pick up a pack of bud. no real lacing, very pale in appearance. a can smell a bit of the barley but not much. a very unnoticeable in taste ,but it is drinkable.
i decide to be fair an try this beer, for me is another one to add to the list of lawn mower beers.

Dodt, Apr 16, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +23.1%

This was actually my first one of these. I bought a sixer because I wanted something wouldn't overpower the taste of my dinner and all I had at home were DIPA's and RIS'. Very pale yellow, strawlike. Minimal head from a hard pour. Smells of strong grains, very indistinguishable. Not offensive, but not very good either. The taste was exactly what I wanted, went very nicely with some italian chicken. There was a nice sweetness, when cold a slight refreshing bitterness. Very light on the tongue. Ended up drinking four of the six that night. Obviously, high drinkability here.

Would I reach for one of these when I really want a good beer, no; would I reach for one of these when I want a beer, yes.

youngblood, Apr 15, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

of course this is one of our old standards, and one of the first beers most americans drink, and say what you will about it, this macro-brew (as bland as it is) is mellow, smooth, refreshing, and, for it's lack of flavor, brings a fairly high ABV compaired to other U.S. macro-brews.
A: crystal clear pale yellow
S: kind of sweet, but not much there
T: bready sweet with the faintest hint of hopps
M: a bit like club soda
D: it would be very easy to knock out a pitcher of Bud with out noticing, but it leaves quite a bit wanting

lonestar1836, Apr 13, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +16.7%

To be honest, I'd never had this until today. I'd never wanted to. This does blow Bud Light out of the water and I'm surprised that it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The color is a clear, very pale yellow-amber. The head actually poured a little more heavily than I would have thought, though it didn't stick around. There's not much lacing to speak of. It does look better than any light I've ever had, though (excepting Sam Adams and perhaps Leinie's).
I had this at a blind tasting (meant to throw us off) and immediately knew from smelling it that it was an adjunct. If you strain, you can just detect light hops and malt in the aroma. Firstly, though, and most strongly, I immediately smelled the corn husk and rice. I was surprised to detect citrus or crisp apple/pear notes, however.
The taste is very much true to the flavor. A crisp apple/pear follow corn husk and rice with light notes of hops and malts. It is what it is.
The mouthfeel really is very crisp and clean, though a little slick as well. The body is light, as expected, and thin but not as watery as a light beer. It actually isn't too far off the mark.
All in all, while I would never consider drinking a BMC light, I may actually take one of these if it was handed to me.

Brenden, Apr 12, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +26.1%

Straw, minimal head.

Smells like rice and barley... hmmm just like the bottle says.

Tastes the same with the ever-slightest touch of hops. Mostly barley flavor here.

Crisp and pretty refreshing.

Goes down very easy.

It is what it is. An average beer, always available, and at an affordable price. When I have to go macro, I go Budweiser.

Vonerichs, Apr 09, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +2.6%

I approached this beer with an open mind. It's my father-in-laws mainstay. It's all he has in his refrigerator when I visit. It pours a pallid gold and the aroma of rice and corn smack you in the face. I know the can said there were hops in the beer but I couldn't taste or smell them (probably b/c of my penchant for HopDevil and DFH 90 min IPA. Mouthfeel was like sandpaper without any head to hold the carbonation in. It was like drinking seltzer. Drinkability, well, I couldn't finish the 12 oz can. I could only stomach 6 oz.

Best way to describe this beer, Victory Beer to reference Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four...

hokies1999, Apr 09, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +19.7%

12oz fresh can into a kitchen glass.

A- Out of the can, bud has a straw yellow color with a loose fizzy white head that bounced with the quickness. Some foam tries to stick to the glass but fails.

S- Not much of a smell except grains and a scent that resembles earthy hops but not quite, perhaps that is the beechwood aging? Some corn as well.

T- Like a light macro lager from America except this one is more drinkable. A crisp burst from the beechwood aging is what is most apparent, but some barley and tame malts are here as well.

M- Light and thin, almost like water with some apparent carbonation as well. Not a lot of flavor is within but this one is aimed more at being refreshing and succeeds there.

D- I like this out of a can better than from the tap and I can drink a few. Light on alcohol and flavors make for a simple refreshing drink year round and especially in the summer. This one beats out the other macro products simply cause I can stand to drink it at times, out of a can though.

BARFLYB, Apr 09, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +66.7%

A: This beer pours a pale, yellow color with a white creamy head initially. The head quickly fades to a thin lace that does persist throughout the drink.

S: Very clean, yeasty, some corn, almost sweet-smelling.

M: Smooth, high carbonation, but not offensive like some other mass produced beers

T: Tastes good actually. Somewhat sweet with a very slight hint of hop bitterness and alcohol on the finish. Nothing objectionable.

D: Very drinkable, it is what is says it is, that being the beer that the typical American beer drinker is looking for. It won't win any competitions, but I'll be drinking more in the future.

pharmer, Apr 04, 2009

Yeasty fresh bread smell, not a lot of taste but very clean and consistently good. Goes well with food or in quantity as refreshment.
The big thing about Budweiser is the yeast smell- the yeast is descended from the original culture first used by Adolphus Busch in 1876.
Next, the freshness and purity of Budweiser are noteworthy. I think the rice does give it a lighter appearance, brighter taste and clean finish. The beechwood chips afford more area for the yeast to rest on, and flocculation occurs more quickly in the maturation tanks.
Budweiser introduced the born on date, and they are genuinely committed to producing a quality product. Too bad they sold out to In Bev.

lanechaffin, Apr 04, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +44.4%

A: Pours a very pale straw yellow with a fizzy soda pop huge pure white head. Head dies down fast but holds a decent amount with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet grain, hay, mild sweet grassy hops. Quite sweet, which I suspect covers up other flaws that are hidden behind it.

T: Malty and sweet grains is the primary flavor with a non-distinct hops bitterness in the background. I find the bitterness quite pleasant in this, but the sweetness is a bit of a turnoff. The packaging claims "perfect" balance but this is too sweet with not enough hops complexity. The balance here is that is has pluses and minuses. The one thing it has going for it is very little off-flavors, and so I call this a good adjunct lager.

M: Light, fizzy and tingly. If drank quickly not a lot of flavor just bubbles.

D: Ah, drinkability. For some reason I saw this in a commercial. While the taste is not perfect, I'll be damned if I didn't just drink a few of these things working on the review. Easy to drink, nothing very strong or flavorful here, but not exactly water either. Nowhere near among my top preferences for a session beer, but easy drinking. I have to say this of course is an adjunct lager and I have to scoff at the BA member overall score of a D+... this is not a "great American" beer but is decent enough. And for the record I am not one of those noveau BMC apologists that populate BA recently. I offer no excuses of "quality control" just an honest opinion that this beer will not kill your children.

vacax, Apr 02, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It might not be the worlds greatest beer, but it certainly does the trick. On long hot summer days I can't think of a better way to relax than with a nice cold budweiser. It's highly drinkable and it tastes better than the other American macros. If you don't feel like spending a whole lot of money on imports this is a solid choice.

yankiac, Apr 01, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +9%

Pours a golden body with a large white head. Smell is very malty with strong grain and some hops. Taste is about the same but has more boldness than I expected. Mouthfeel is standard. well carbonated and as drinkable as any other beer of the style but still better tasting than most.

AdmiralDiaz, Apr 01, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -0.4%

this beer is not my favorite.. looks like pee its very yellow ..light head..not impressed.. smells of lil grain, rice and thats about it nothing to go wow over.. taste is average like any other beer out there on mainstream.. bnut it doese give you a nasty headache in the morning

njthebestofme, Mar 31, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I liked the smell, smooth and some grains; in the taste are some cereals, rice and a little malt; the mouthfeel is ok, with a light to medium bitterness, very fizzy; the drinkability simply is acceptable.

I don't liked the apperance, a very clear yellow color and excesive foam.

I don't think this beer is "the king of beers"

roddwolff, Mar 29, 2009
2.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle. Nose is clean... kind of an anonymous nose that you can tell is beer, but can't really pick out the individual components. It just is. Taste is very light. Again, no real malt or hop character, just kind of that ubiquitous ''beer'' quality that defines Bud and other fizzy yellow lagers.

It is, at least, not overcarbonated.

For all the hate this beer gets, it isn't really that it's bad. It's more that it isn't good... really, it isn't anything much at all.

JohnQVegas, Mar 29, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +16.7%

My American Friends bought a case because they were homesick. BTW its here in New Zealand and isn't any different than in the states.

Appearance- There is a reason its served in a brown glass bottle. Explosive Head that rapidly fads and a pale clear yellow body.
Smell- Rice, Thin Malt Notes
Taste- Its Bud, plain and simple
Mouthfeel- Smooth, Crisp, Thin
Drinkability-Great for the style

Had it on Dollar Draft Nights back in the States. Its a standby for sporting events and for case sales.

TubaManJack, Mar 25, 2009
2.38/5  rDev +1.7%

Has some flavor, not repulsive, not great. Tastes better than most of your cheap beers, harder to drink for beer pong (too much going on).

Pours a transparent yellow. Decent head present, but the bubbles are too large for it to stick around any. Smells slightly hoppy I suppose. Not much of the malts. Good carbonation.

cwps48, Mar 19, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +26.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pale straw colored ale, lots of bubbles, very effervescence. It is clear as can be. One fingers worth of head and disappeared very quickly... and no lacing.

S: Not a lot here... maybe corn with a hint of green apple and a woody note.

T: OK, I'm catching some corn grain, a little rice and a woodyness... Very crisp, with no aftertaste to speak of... pretty under powering. But is what is expected... it is just your basic beer.

M: Very light bodied.... high in carbonation, again plain.

D: Being so light bodied and low in ABV, you could drink a ton of this stuff... It is the starter beer of all starter beers.

This is the King of Beers.... we all started here so you cannot knock this beer to badly....

mralphabet, Mar 16, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a pale cllear golden wit a thin white head. Smell is almost non-existent, a hint of corn. taste is very bland, a hint of malt, sour apples and corn. A touch of hop bitterness can be detected as well.. Mouthfeeli is watery, too much carbonation. Somewhat drinkable due to its very light flavor profile. I would only drink this again if given to me, i would not purchase it.

tronester, Mar 15, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +56%

2oz sample from a friends 12oz bottle poured into a small glass. Until yesterday, I had never actually had Budweiser, though I've had the rest of the family.

A - very pale yellow color with a small white head. typical appearance for the style.

S - it's weird. this is the only adjunct lager ever that had two scents that I never expected to find in the style: malt and lactic acid. I definitely smelled a hint of malt, which I haven't in Miller or Coors, but the lactic acid just seemed off. I have no idea where it came from, but this beer had a slight Berliner Weissbier tinge to it.

T - touch of sweet malt, almost toasty with a tinge of lactic acid and a citrusy hop finish. I'm not getting the apples that others have suggested, but I'll continue to look. The taste is nothing special, but one must remember to review objectively, thus, this beer has a pretty high rating from me because for its style, it's very, very good. Really, the flavor isn't at all objectionable and is honestly enjoyable.

M - very carbonated. this is like drinking seltzer water. which is on par with the style, but it's not as overcarbonated as Coors or Miller, so, it gets high points.

D - not bad for the style. it's definitely the most drinkable beer within the style.

bowersdm, Mar 13, 2009
2.48/5  rDev +6%

Light, golden color, bubbling with carbonation, small head but some lacing. More respectable than the Light, by a lot, but not my choice. Flavor was crisp and uniform, bitter finish. Easy to see why it is so popular, very easy to drink and refreshing when ice cold. Won't be keeping it around but I don't mind it either.

stingrayvr6, Mar 11, 2009

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a bright, clear yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing. Slightly sweet aroma with nothing standing out. A balanced flavor that doesn't feature any one aspect of the beer. Smooth but thin body. Very drinkable, as in goes down quickly and easily. This beer is the standard of the style, the one one you judge others against. There are versions of this style out there that are more flavorful and enjoyable, as well as versions that are much, much worse.

beertunes, Mar 04, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +31.6%

Budweiser
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 5.00 %

Reviewed 3/3/09 @ home, bottle>imperial pint glass
A 3.5 - clear yellow straw in color, 2 finger head, better retention than expected, mediocre head retention
S 3.0 - mild in aroma, not much to talk about, a hint of skunky-ness
T 3.0 - lighter style of lager, hints of corn and light malt, better than most macro brews in my opinion
MF 2.5 high in carbonation, very thin for a NON light beer
D 3.5 - like it for an AB macro, kinda light for a regular lager though, would drink it over most macro products if it's the only option, I kind of prefer it in the can for southern memories...

unclejimbay, Mar 04, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +35.9%

Pale yellow and clear as a bell with a quick fading fluffy white head. Smells faintly of corn grits and cereal grain. Tastes fairly sweet and clean with rice and corn being the standout flavors. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, finishes squeaky clean (must be the beechwood aging!) and is not entirely unpleasant. Always refreshes at the ballgame out of a plastic cup, good with a hotdog etc.

biggred1, Mar 04, 2009