Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +48.1%

I poured into a nonic fresh out of the tap to a large, white, foamy head. It is yellow and clear. As with most macros it has a sweet smell to it. It actually tastes good after mowing the lawn and needing a drink of water. Macros get a bad rap by beer snobs. It is what it is. A tasteless alcoholic beverage for the masses. I keep it on tap because my keg fridge only holds 1/4 barrels, so my options are limited here in BFE. It'll wet my whistle.

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Incredibly pale yellow color. Actually had a nice white head when poured, but this quickly left. There is a nice stream of carbonation while in the glass, which looks okay.

S - Not much of a smell at all. There is a little bit of sweetness to it, so it's not a particularly off-putting aroma. There's just nothing there particularly pleasant.

T - Sort of a sweet grain/corn flavor. A little bit of malt but almost non-existent. The taste gives way quickly to the taste of water. A VERY thin flavor. Aftertaste to me really just consists of a light sweet corn flavor.

M - Not too bad. Sort of thin but it doesn't have a bad mouthfeel. Some light carbonation in the mouth.

D - Pretty good. It's low and thin flavor makes it pretty drinkable. I don't find any of the flavors off-putting even though I don't find them enjoyable. It's the kind of beer you'd probably enjoy best after doing a lot of work, because it is sort of crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I don't find it enjoyable or good, but I don't find it off-putting.

1.3/5  rDev -44.7%

I was at the Depeche Mode concert in Fort Lauderdale, and my beer choices were few and far between - Bud or Bud Light. Yes, you guessed it, not only did I get a Bud, I took notes.

I seriously have not had this in many, many years.

Had to drink it out of a ridiculous plastic bottle with a twist off cap, so I couldn't get a look at the appearance. No matter, I know it pretty much looks like urine. If I had been able to pour it into a glass, I'm sure it would have looked OK.

I held my nose up to the bottle. Aroma was all cereal grain and rice. While I'm not crazy about a nose full of cooked rice, it *was* pretty clean. No hop aroma to speak of, though, so I can't give even give a 3.0 for aromatics.

OK, it had been many years since I had this last, but this is not what I remember. I never liked Bud, but I remember it having at least a generic "beer taste." Also, I remember it being very dry. This is actually downright SWEET, where did all this sweetness come from? It tastes like freakin' rice pudding. Now don't get me wrong, I like rice pudding, but I don't want it in my beer. Horrible, even when compared to other macro lagers. It goes without saying that hops are nonexistent, as well as any substantive malt bill. It's all rice.

And the feel...I remember Bud being quite crisp at least, making it somewhat refreshing when cold. This was downright soft. A soft lager that tastes like sweet rice....this was even worse than what I remembered, much worse.

I couldn't finish my bottle of Bud. It wasn't refreshing at all, and quite frankly, it fails badly even within the bounds of its own style category. There are better macro adjunct lagers out there, sad as that sounds.

Bottom line, take even the most pedestrian craft lager and put it up against this - it will taste like Westy 12 by comparison. I think I even prefer Bud Light to this.

1.98/5  rDev -15.7%

A: This one pours strawcoloured with a large white creamy head (that makes a sizziling sound as I pour it). Dissipation of the head is fast.

S: Very faint smell: but there are sweet malt and cooked corn. But faint, very faint.

T: Again very faint. Sweet malt and corn but also some citric notes. A bit rough - unbalanced.

M: Thin but heavily carbonated. The aftertaste is surprisingly long (it's short, but for an adjunct lager it stays for a long time) and holds some dryness.

D: I'm not into adjunct lagers, but this is the least bad I've had.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this beer straight out of the can and poured some into a glass so i could get a proper look at it

Looks like urine

smells skunky and grainy with a slight hint of corn and malt

wow this really tastes bad bland with no character of any kind

water

well its basically water so it would go down smoothly except for the fact that it tastes awful

i'm sure i will be subjected to this beer again at some point

2.13/5  rDev -9.4%

This isn't a tick, this is me cleaning out my fridge after a house mate moved out. He was kind enough to leave only a 7oz bottle

A: Light yellow with a two-finger thick white head that seems to stick around a while, leaving a little lace (!!!). Brilliant clarity. I have to say I'm impressed so far

S: Combination of sweet corn and a little sugar. Faintly bready. I'm trying hard, but I can't seem to smell anything

T: Opens watery with a faint jackfruit character with corn and sugar sweetness. The beechwood aging really does wonders for this beer, as it's actually drinkable, unlike its lighter cousin. For the most part, flavorless and watery

M: Light, crisp and lo and behold, this is actually very clean. The finish is reminiscent of seltzer, with a carbonic acid like finish.

D: I just might be able to finish this, but I don't see the point. While not offensive, like most macros, I'd rather drink water.

1.5/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Very clear pale straw color, small white head quickly dissipates. Smell is corny adjunct, grain. Taste is thin, carbonated water, sweet adjunct flavoring. Bad aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Its drinkable because its so thin like water, but the taste is so bland its just bad bad.

2.17/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, with a big pillowy head that dissipates quickly. Very active carbonation as tiny bubbles fight their way to the surface.

S: Faint grain and husks, some corn. Pretty typical macro aroma.

T: Very light flavor of grain and cereal. A very faint touch of hops, and I mean very faint. Pretty bland.

M: Very light, but crisply carbonated.

D: This is a Budweiser, what is there to say. It is what it is. Everyone has had one, and everyone know what they taste like. One hot day, after mowing the lawn, I could drink a few of these, but that about it.

2.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Pale straw body with a finger of poorly retained head. It smells faintly of corn and cooked grain. It tastes mildly sweet with a hint of grass. Faint "green beer" character. It isn't offensive, it's just extremely bland. It's thin and watery with active carbonation. I would prefer something more flavourful, but I could probably have a few of these on a hot day, if offered.

2.42/5  rDev +3%

can poured into pint glass

I feel strange actually taking the effort to go through the reviewing process with a budweiser. Had an entire case leftover from a recent surprise birthday party so I figured I'd put it to use.

A: A clear, pale golden color. Like an unsaturated version of a better beer. Has a big carbonated head at first that doesn't disappear too quickly but after a few minutes is reduced to an incomplete film. Not really all that bad looking. Just an average beer.

S: Smells sweet with adjuncts as expected. Has very minimal hop flavors, but something is present there other than the adjuncts. Everyone knows this smell.

T: Begins with a watery flavorless wave that turns into sweetness, again from the adjunct. Then a very mild almost unnoticeable hop presence is felt.

M: A pretty smooth mouthfeel that has some density to it. Definitely better than a light beer in this regard.

D: A pretty drinkable beer with regards to easiness to consume, but after a few tastes it starts leaving a building adjunct bitterness. Not like hop flavor, just a gross bitter aftertaste.

Notes: As expected not a great beer. We've all had a bud and while I wouldn't recommend it as a beer to try for its wonderful flavor, it isn't so terrible that I can't have one or two if someone offers me one at a party or something.

2.17/5  rDev -7.7%

I'm surprised at myself, I don't think I've ever had the original Budweiser before. Well here we go.

A: It pours a light yellow with a head that fades like that of coke poured into a glass. I couldn't be more unimpressed.

S: Smells of a grainy corn and an off sweet aroma. Boring.

Tastes like carbonated, watered down corn liquor.

M: Alka-seltzer comparible.

D: The drinkability is ok, except for a bad aftertaste left on the back of your tounge.

Bottom line: While intoxicated, this is the best beer you'll think you've ever had.

While at a Nascar event, this is the only beer you'll ever have.

While at your local grocery store, please save yourself some time and pain by avoiding Budweiser.

2.17/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Pale golden clear body with little head.
S: Fairly syrupy and metallic, not much beyond that.
T: Similar to the smell. A little bit of the maltiness comes through in the aftertaste.
M: A bit too sticky and syrupy.
D: Had easier to drink adjunct lagers.

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

It is what it is. Going solely off the style, I've had plenty that are worse. Nice for yard work, golfing, or beer pong. Tastes the same from 1st to last. OK, that part was basically cut and pasted from my Bud Light review. I actually like the taste and smell of Bud heavy a little more. I'd rather have this than some of the pseudo micros trying to be something they are not.

1.63/5  rDev -30.6%

A- Straw color, slight head. Nothing to write home about

S- Like most other big brewers. Slight "beer" smell.

T- Bland. Hint of rice. Doesn't really taste like beer, but certainly has more of a flavor than its light counter-part.

M- Watery.

D- If you can muster the taste in doesn't go down terribly heavy.

Overall- Its not terrible. It just doesn't have any real taste.

2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

Everyone on this site probably knows what this tastes like, so I'll skip all that and give my opinion.

This is what the word "beer" means to much of the United States public.

That is changing over the years, but this is still #1.

It's a weak, slightly beer flavored beverage that is cheap, easy to find, and contains alcohol.

It's not as bad as it's "Lite" brother, and I have had it to drink on occasions where there was nothing else around. I.E. on a "beer day" on my Navy ship, and when someone else had "beer detail" on a camping trip.

There is nothing remarkable about this beer except that it is so extraordinarily popular.

3.23/5  rDev +37.4%

okay..reviewing this beer is kind of tough because pre BA I was a fan of this beer because it was an American Institution that was available in India, and post BA..the attitude towards this beer (BMC in general) has changed my perception, at least I would like to think so. Frankly, this beer is a above average lager, good for binging or speed drinking. Very average in terms of appearance & smell. Great drinkability and good taste, I mean there is nothing offensive about it. If you want to enjoy an ice cold beer without much want of depth, Bud's gotta be the choice.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

We'll dispense with the pouring and appearance, because everyone knows what a Bud looks like. Right? Kinda like a Coors or a Keystone...and so on.

Smell is like all the other
"Big Beers". A little corn, a little straw, a lot of nothing.

Well here's where Bud takes a few tiny steps in it's own direction. Here on Long Island a Coors 24 ouncer is 99 cents. A Keystone is 99 cents. But a Bud is $1.39! (most likely the bandits at Clare Rose). A bad step. But for the 40 cents, you do get a tiny bit of hops and a squeak of "beer" flavor.

Bottom line-- If they were all 99 cents, I'd go for the Bud. (mind you, this would be the day before pay day). But in this adjunct big beer category 2% more of taste at 30% more cost means squat.

3.38/5  rDev +43.8%

Appearance - There is nothing exceptional or displeasing about how this looks. It's what I expect from mass market beer. Very clear with a golden tint, goes in the same as it comes out.

Smell - Not much in the way of smell. Kind of like a frat house the day after a party. No hops or fruits or anything identifiable... just beer.

Taste - Went slightly above average on taste because this is what Budweiser is known for. Although there is nothing to stand it out from the crowd, it is smooth and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel - Nothing. Really, I mean it nothing.

Drinkability - Five for sure. This is like water that gets you drunk. I could drink this all night with out thinking about flavor or smell. This is why they sell billions of dollars worth of beer.

This will never be in the catagory of Stone or Sam Adams, but Bud is what it is and that's why they sell so much. It is sort of a base line, anything worse than this is a bad beer and anything better is an alright to good beer.

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%

Pour into glass from silhouette bottle looks kinda like a bowling pin.

A: straw yellow, short lasting head

S: slight malt and hop, rice

T: light malt and hops, strong rice as it warms up

M: crisp

D: very drinkable when near frozen, gets worse as it warms up. great for hot summer day.

2.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I am not a big fan, but will drink a budwieser in preference to most other mass market beers.

Bud does have some malt flavor on the front end (even through all that flavorless rice), and has a crisp dry finish.

Budwieser executes exactely what they are trying to do. Cheap, easy drinking beer.

That said I still can't give it much of a rating, as you can grab a 1000 other beers that just taste better.

2.58/5  rDev +9.8%

There are PLENTY of reviews for this macro so I am going to skip the details and just give my two cents really quickly.
I never liked this stuff as a youth and was content with Natty Ice and Beast (or whatever else was CHEAP) then I leaned towards Miller for a little while. For whatever reason, I now enjoy Bud more than Miller. Why? I don't know.
Let me just say that drinking more than three of these is sickening to me (that doesn't mean that I'm not a sick, twisted freak that will go ahead and do so if the situation calls for it).
Avoid when possible, but there are worse out there.

1.6/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance- clear yellow color with small bubbles streaming slowly up the glass, very thick white head off the pour, simple yet fine appearance

Smell- I gotta be honest i pretty much smell absolutely zero at all on the nose cant pick up a thing, tried my hardest in everyway but couldnt pick up anything

Taste- water anyone with wasted calories? I tried this after some fuller flavored beers and man, where did the flavor go, nice for a shower or filling a swiming pool, not good for drinking, bland wasteful crap

Mouth- Light crisp refreshing

Drinkability- I only give this okay rating at all because water is pretty drinkable, man this is a rough one, not trying to be hard on this but you drink some good belgians and try this and you want to cry, run while you

3.33/5  rDev +41.7%

I've been drinking this brew for a while now, but finally decided to do a review of it. Serving type was from a cold bottle poured into a signature Budweiser glass.

A: Clear, straw like color that seems a bit light, even for this style brew. After initial pour head seems to be alright, but fades fast with non-existent lacing. Carbonation is mild, but better when on-tap.

S: Mild, slightly hoppy with a decent maltyness. Overall aroma is weak.

T: Bitter and malty. Rather weak, even for this style. Doesn't really have any flavors, just... Well... Beerish. Malty more than anything, and not too malty at that. Still, I enjoy the taste in my mouth. It's certainly a go-to beer when you just want "A beer". Nothing extraordinary.

M: Malty, bitter, smooth, light texture fills the palate. Not overwhelming in the least bit. Mild body with a somewhat mild, watery consistency. Best if served very cold in my opinion.

D: Very good. Goes down easy and smooth. Some would say it's not a beer for drinking, but rather a beer for chugging, but that doesn't stop my from drinking and enjoying this brew. On par with every other mainstream brew of this type.

So in conclusion, if you're looking for a decent American Adjunct Lager to drink during a game, a movie, or even with dinner without breaking the bank, Budweiser might be an option to consider. If you're looking for robust flavor, aroma, and mouthfeel seek something a bit heavier and more exotic. All in all a good beer that is light and easy to drink. If you're ion college and have the cash, get this instead of Natural Ice. You're friends/party guests will thank you for it.

3.2/5  rDev +36.2%

Drinking a large 32-ounce draught from a large beer mug.

Appearance - bright yellow colour with low- to none- in the head department. Lightly carbonated with a few surface bubbles and a very thin ring of lace.

Smell - fresh, sweet aromas of corn and malt. Light scent of bread.

Taste - pretty neutral flavours of light malt. Thin corn taste with a short hoppy punctuation near the end.

Mouthfeel - pretty smooth. A little too active at first but pretty even throughout tasting.

Drinkability - with this beer drinkability is king. Easy to put away many.

3.05/5  rDev +29.8%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of corn, fairly mild. Taste is crisp, some malts, fairly refreshing, a touch of bitterness at the finish.. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this is a pretty mediocre offering.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch