Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev +33%

Had the aluminum bottle thingy. Of course, no appearance, but i'm guessing its pale yellow.
The best thing about the aluminum bottle is that the beer is (or feels) a lot colder. And this is good on a summer day. Makes it easier to drink, that's for sure. Other than that, no major difference between this and the bottle. It'll do for parties or a cheap(er) drink at the watering hole.

01-30-2006 20:42:57 | More by Mebuzzard
Tallboy

Antarctica

1.65/5  rDev -29.2%

This is not the King of Beers, as labled....trust me. Maybee it was back in the 1800's when you had but 2 other brands to choose from: The color is as any other, a light fizzy yellow. The smell was too skunky for a macro. The taste was for the most part like tap watter with a ABV. The mouthfeel is too dry and what I would call as being light with no bite. Drinkability? Nill... For the Money it's a waste.

01-30-2006 14:06:50 | More by Tallboy
becktone

1.63/5  rDev -30%

Before I even open this beer, I am going to guess at its appearance. I've never had Budweiser in anything but a can so I've never seen what it looks like. However I believe I can give a pretty accurate description of this beer. First off this is a fizzy yellow beer, it is yellow, clear, and has relatively no head. In addition to that it has no lacing. Overall it dosen't look very good. It looks like what it is a macro beer.
It is packaged in the can that I remember my grandfather drinking this beer from, I guess if anything Budweiser is consistent. I am actually surprised by the appearance of this beer. It is very pale and fizzy like I predicted, however, it poured with a head! I am and was amazed. There's a bit of lacing. The head now, between the time it took me to write this and when I poured this beer is mostly gone. When agitated it thickens up a bit but returns to its previous state. The appearance for this beer is average for a macro beer.

To the nose this beer is bland. Not much in the way of hop or malt character. I can only describe this beer's aroma is as the way that any macro smells. It dosn't smell good but then again it dosn't smell terrible. The aroma of this isn't appetizing, that's it.

Wow, the taste of this beer is even more bland than its aroma. tastes much like water. No hop or malt character, at least not enough to make note of. It dosn't taste bad, but its not good either.

Mouthfeel: Feels like tonic water.

The drinkability of this beer is ok. Its definitely not something that I'd ever really want to buy, unless I was hosting a party. Infact, I took this can from a party. It is however really easy to drink and goes down easy, you could drink this forever, but would you want to? I don't recommend this beer to anybody, unless you are a fan of macros. If that is the case and all you drink is macros, then this may well be the "king of beers" as far as your knowledge of beer goes.

01-30-2006 01:04:26 | More by becktone
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

2.38/5  rDev +2.1%

I've had this beer a million times, mostly while in college, when expense and/or selection was a major issue.

Bud is extremely pale yellow in color, a far cry from the crisp, golden, glowing beer you see in the ads. There is no aroma, and the flavor is so lifeless that it's much better ice-cold, with its flavors pretty much totally muted, because once it warms up it becomes unbearable. Carbonation is way too high for my tastes but I guess that's done to make up for Bud lacking in just about every other department.

Bottom line: this is what I drink at sporting events when I've forgotten my flask and all the other beers are "lite" offerings.

01-29-2006 19:21:51 | More by VoodooBrew
jamie2dope

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

After drinking so much craft beer lately, why not pick up a bottle of good old Budweiser? Poured straight into the bottom of the glass with a light gold straw color and a pretty nice white head that ate itself away quickly. Smell was of sweet sugars and cereal grain. Taste was very crisp and sweet with the minute amount of flavors fading within a moment. Hop presence was pretty slim...I think if they heightened it a bit this would be a much tastier beer. Mouthfeel was very very light and easy on the palate. On a positive note, this beer is really easy to drink, with the low alcohol content, one could drink quite a few of these without becoming too intoxicated. King of all beers? Hell no, but even so, this is a simple beer that is easy to drink, cheap and a real thirst quencher. It might not be the most flavorful beer, but any beer lover shouldn't feel deterred by the fact that it is such a popular, run of the mill brew. Cheers

01-24-2006 05:32:55 | More by jamie2dope
Drew966

2.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Ah, the king of beers. What can one say about Bud, its beer for the masses, probably one of the best known brands in the world. Unfortunately, its brewed for the lowest common denominator. Poured pale yellow with thick white head. Has a somewhat sweet taste. About as inoffensive and uninteresting a brew as one could find. Great for keg parties and barbeques, but I'd usually rather drink something else.

01-23-2006 01:35:10 | More by Drew966
Hibernator

2.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Budweiser
22 oz brown bottle
Born on date: November 02 2005
Served in a 16 oz pilsner glass

Pours a light yellow urine color. Bleach white sudsy head on top, but vanishes way too quickly to nothing. Mini carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass. There is nothing visually impressive with Budwesier.

Rather bland and uneventful nose. Lights grains and metal.

Clean, fizzy crisp macro lager with flavors of raunchy corn nibblets and rice cakes. Very watered down mouthfeel and this makes it somewhat thirst quenching. Slight hop presence and honey sweetness.

A regularly consistent beer. You know what you are getting here. I've had this beer so many times over the years. Certainly not a quality and complex beer, but a beer option that you can find just about anywhere at anyplace.

01-21-2006 21:50:54 | More by Hibernator
joecast

Australia

1.68/5  rDev -27.9%

well now. all this time, and finally getting to my first ab review. used to be a loyal miller guy. ahh, those were the days. on to the review.

loud pft!! as the cap is popped. damn this stuff is carbonated. coats the glass in large bubbles. slamming it on the table to dislodge them reveals a light yellow mega fizzy beer. holds no head.

stronger aroma than mgd, but just more adjunct sweetness. nothing else to report here.

a bit more bitterness giving it a sharper overall flavor. unfortunately, its mixed with a tartness to the malt that makes it pretty undrinkable.

well, guess i was right all the time. cant remember the last time i had one of these, but i probably will have forgotten this by the time i have another.

01-21-2006 10:09:42 | More by joecast
Byeast

3.18/5  rDev +36.5%

Ah budweiser ," the King of beers ". Well i don't know about that, but i do find it quite drinkable to be honest. I just like other beers much much more. Bud is drinkable in a quenching kind of sense. When i drink budweiser , im in the mood to drink many beers , quickly, and cheaply. While i like to savor most brews , these i just want in my stomach>blood>brain. This is a very consistent beer, maybe thats its best attribute. Yes i wish i could walk into any establishment and get DFH or Sweetwater, but that just isnt the case yet.

My tips for drinking BUD - *When in the sun , driving around OFF-ROAD , on a four wheel drive or ATV etc... : go with the can.- *When anywhere else: bottle or draft. Bottom line is , im glad they're around when i want em.( they also have a cool theme park in Tampa,Florida-- Busch Gardens , with free beer)

I will say however, i think its fucked up the way they control the beer market. Their massive marketing and distributor monopolies seem to stiffle the efforts of craft breweries who love EVERYTHING about what they do and deserve a fair shot. I don't know... i guess im just reviewing the beer here.

01-20-2006 08:02:24 | More by Byeast
edchef1850

3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

Like most american BAs out there ive had a relationship with bud as long as ive had a relationship with beer. I have had in cans, in bottles on tap, in nips, pints, tall boys, cannons, you name it. I dont drink it much any more but i dont revile it. Its probably the most consistent beer in the world, and thats pretty impressive. Its refreshing after you finished digging a big hole, or spent a whole day putting fiberglass insulation in a cramped attic space in the middle of july. But for the purpose of savoring the craft of brewing, ill look elswhere. Theres a beer for every day and a day for every beer.

01-15-2006 00:09:37 | More by edchef1850
pentathlete

2.8/5  rDev +20.2%

Clear yellow with a decent white head that falls to scattered bubbles after a few minutes. Smell is almost non-existent, a little clean water, a touch of malt or adjuncts. Taste is crisp, carbonic, and, again a bit boring. About a third of the way through, the middle to end of the taste started to wear on me. The carbonation, combined with a grassy bittering (not in a good hoppy way) started getting in the way. While not spit it out bad, it made me not want another. Mouthfeel was thin and crispy as expected. Drinkability is ok. I think I'd have to develop a taste for the "corn soda" aspect of this before I could rate that higher.

01-11-2006 01:05:22 | More by pentathlete
snilsen13

2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

How am I going to say 250 words about this beer? let me tell when I think Bud in a bottle is not a bad call. If you've got to go lawnmower, you could do worse. The bottle imparts something nice about this beer. I would never pour it into a glass. What messed up person would pour a Bud from a bottle to a glass? If there eveer was an inviting beer bottle to drink from, this is it. It obscures the incredibly pale piss colored beer that it is in a sexy daark shroud with a 5 star logo in good ole red white and blue. Drink it from the bottle, it goes down pretty well, if you drink it quickly. If you drink several it gets even better. It's a good buisness lunch beer. Shows you have no intention of getting buzzed and your down with the common man. Plus they pay a lot of ball players salaries and help get games aired on TV, so the company is cool, kinda. All the same, I don't keep it around unless my brother needs a chaser. It's a good chaser. I think it mixes well with whisky too.

01-06-2006 21:40:31 | More by snilsen13
casualbeerman

1.15/5  rDev -50.6%

To date, Budwieser is consistently the worst beer I have ever had. Aside from one or two badly skunked Heinekens I've had, there hasn't even been any competition. If I had to drink either a cold Budwieser, or even a warm "Beast" (Milwalkee's Best if you've never been to a party paid for by college students who don't work) I'd take the Beast. The fact that anyone who's not a raving alcoholic voluntarily pays money to drink this crap (let alone that its far and away the best selling beer in the world) boggles my mind. First the color: It's a bright yellow that lends it self well to the use of the word "piss" as an adjective. Really, I don't find the color objectionable for its own sake. But the taste I've been conditioned to associate with that color is so bad it makes the color like a warning flag: if your beer is this color, don't drink it! And I will say that light, bright yellow has got to be the least beerlike color I've ever seen from a drink that we call beer. The smell is also objectionable because it hints at what to come. Fans would probably use words like "crisp" or "clean". Detractors like to use the word "piss" again. Me, I think it smells like alcohol that someone's spilled some not too strong but not pleasant household cleaners into. The taste is what kills me. That bitter gall combined with the disgusting chemical background and the cheap corn-rice-whatever adding just the tiniest bit of sweetness is what makes Bud so horrible. If I really try I can choke one down, but its hard to think of a realistic reason why I'd want to. Unlike a lot of people, I find the taste very strong, and it accumulates. Eventually it produces an almost physical reaction, and getting that last bit of sludge and foam down is especially hard. That's why I rated the mouthfeel and drinkability so low. The awful taste crowds out the light body and ruins the drinkability. How bad is Bud? Even if I have a dozen or more drinks and get competely hammered, I can still tell how completely awful it is. At this point I would not drink Budwieser at all. I think I would rather drink water or go entirely thirsty if my only alternative was Bud.

12-30-2005 03:18:03 | More by casualbeerman
Phatz

2.8/5  rDev +20.2%

Appereance: This beer pours a light yellow, clear, with a two finger head.

Smell: Very little aroama. hints of grain as it warms but it tastes better cold.

Taste: I had it very cold in a fozen pint glass. There was very little taste either good or bad. Slight hop bitterness with a dry, distinct aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp and very thin. Ultra light!

Drinkability: There is NOTHING interesting about this beer to me, but it is not horribly offensive either. I would say that it is a fine fall back beer in a serious pinch but not one I'd choose for enjoying beer at its finest!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-28-2005 06:28:37 | More by Phatz
Kulrak

Australia

2.73/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a very very light yellow color, almost like they forgot to add all the coloring. Has a very thin layer of head that disappears pretty quickly. Not a particularly great start. Smells slightly of yeast, a little grassy, but really there's not much aroma to it at all. The taste really isn't that bad, it's just that there really isn't much. Most of the flavor is in the form of sweetness that I doubt really comes from a whole lot of malt. Tastes like all adjunct. But no flavor is better than bad flavor, as I've said before. The mouthfeel is a little heavier than water with very little carbonation hit. Good if you aren't looking for any sensation at all. All in all, it's very drinkable as it tries very hard not to offend anyone by not having anything to say at all. For a macro beer for people that don't like beer, it's not bad. But I'm a beer drinker who likes beer, so it's not for me.

12-26-2005 14:48:36 | More by Kulrak
Enola

2.13/5  rDev -8.6%

This is lower end even as macro's are concerned. The color was like any other, light yellow. The smell offended my nose. The taste was for the most part nonexistent. The mouthfeel was not good enough to consider drinking often. Drinkability? Often times I will give a macro higher scores in this area. But this would be a exception. I could not drink these anymore. If you want a macro, look elsewhere.

12-24-2005 15:52:39 | More by Enola
feloniousmonk

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Born on October 19, 2005, Happy 2 month anniversary, bottle of Budweiser!

Paley-pale, palest of the pale yellow, and crystal clear, head starts thick, then slides down to a negligible ring, always bone white, until it's a shallow pool of bubbles.

Aroma: bright, sweet, then empty. Far-off echo of hops, but mostly vegetal, with a switch of straw. Corn and rice, you bet.

Taste: Wetness crowds the scene first in here, lots of water in this. Thin bodied, ...and I'm searching and scratching for any real kind of flavor. Water and corn, plus fizz...?

Harsh carbonation, very active on the palate, extraordinarily fizzy all over the tongue, and that's not a good thing. To me, anyway. I'm wincing as I drink, and I have witnessed plenty of people toss it back without trouble. Relax, relax...

Dull, dry finish. Nothing resonates in the memory, or the mind, but neither was anything supposed to...knock 'em back, set up all over again...why worry about taste?

There's nothing really wrong with The King of Beers, but neither is there anything good about it.

Crisp, yes. Refreshing...maybe. The carbonation bugs me too much, I'll take water instead. Smooth? Maybe, but at what cost? I could use a little flavor...hello, malt? Hops? Drinkability? Mmmm...not for this cat, I could drink it, but I'd be so bored, my soul would shudder and thoughts of self-ruination would rumble in my brain.

Good thing there are plenty of other choices.
But, if you dig it, hey, knock yourself out. Don't let me get in your way.

12-20-2005 05:44:29 | More by feloniousmonk
Backer2004

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

This is it, the King of Beers!! Actually, this was my LAST beer I had to drink to finish up my Beer Club at a local pizza pad and watering hole so it was worth the $50 gift certificate I now get for drinking (or at least buying) them all. Honestly, the first three sips weren't bad and reminded me of good times tailgating at ND games. Then it went downhill and never gained steam again. I've got nothing more crititcal to write that hasn't been written 421 times before.

12-16-2005 03:52:07 | More by Backer2004
DarkerTheBetter

2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer came a disappointing and listless yellow with no head. Smelled of grassy corn with a slight bit of hop dryness. Tasted of more dirty corn and mildew. Just a little better than its “light” brother. Finished surprisingly dry on the roof of my mouth. mouth feel was light and crisp with a pretty big carbonation. On a high note, it was very easy to drink.

“Nothing to see here folks. Move along.”

12-15-2005 02:31:11 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

1.5/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours a clear yellow, fizzy white head, no lace, sparkly. Smell is sweet, corn, honey and a little citrus. Taste is almost non-existant, some sweet honey, corn, rice, little citrus, basically just bland and tasteless. Mouthfeel is light bodied, highly carbonated, generally lame.

12-14-2005 05:16:05 | More by Viggo
KALIKGOLD

South Carolina

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Hmmm... not much to say here except... Its beer? The bottle is a little better than the can, but that is expected, I'd say draft is the best way to "enjoy" this. It smells like rice, like most american beers do. I poured it into a glass and wasnt satisfied, even my pilsner glass was mad at me. hardly any smell, well I take that back, it smells like high school or a bowling alley, ah I know, a KORN concert. Really no hops or malt, kinda like water with bubbles. It's good if you are on a budget or are just looking to get wasted in your friends basement. I wouldnt recommend this beer...blah

12-07-2005 03:31:05 | More by KALIKGOLD
indysamra

Alabama

2.23/5  rDev -4.3%

Well, when you can't afford to splash out just a little, or there's not much of a selection. I guess it will just have to do. This has never been, nor will it ever be a first choice for any real beer advocate.

Even in high school I was able to splash out just a little, and gone with something a little better in quality and taste.

Unfortunatly, althought this is one of the best selling beers in the nation, I'm sure most of that has to do with price, and availability as oppose to taste.

Better than Miller high life, and comparable to Coor. I would give this a miss, unless your really desperate. If your staying in this range, you may want to consider MGD. Or if your willing to go a littler International, go with Molson Canadian.

Indy :o)

12-05-2005 05:55:15 | More by indysamra
metallistout

2.23/5  rDev -4.3%

The "King of Beers" huh? Maybe one of the better american macro beers, but that's not saying much.
Pours a very straw-like pale yellow with a small foamy head.

Smells of corn, rice, and very little malt. I cannot smell a hop presence. Maybe they put the hops in for 1 minute or 2 and then strain it out.

Taste of a very little amount of malt, mostly corny and whatever. Very small amount of hops. This beer probably wouldn't be so bad it it had more hop bite to it.

12-04-2005 21:05:19 | More by metallistout
barknee

2.53/5  rDev +8.6%

We have had this pouring in my Firehouse for the last 100 years. I have to say that on tap, unlike virtually every other tap macro product, Bud simply sucks. Massively over carbonated with an overly heavy, almost oily composition for the product, this mass macro is sure to leave you wanting for more and wanting for less of cerebral pulsations. Highly disappointing on tap, the product is better tasting in every other available packaging known to mankind. Yes even the dreaded aluminum can.

11-30-2005 05:12:21 | More by barknee
davidchollar

Washington

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

bought this tonight at my local store that carries a lot of foreign beers. haven't had a bud in ages but i thought i should review it to see how it compares to j-macs (japanese macros) i never thought i would score it this high, but again, like with heineken i think this beer gets bashed way more than it deserves. it's really not that bad. obviously it's not as orgasmic as the last birra trappista you quaffed, but it's not dog shit.

a very pale clear yellow, decent white head. this does not look as bad as you would expect, certainly equal to or better than some j-macs. smells corny, extremely corny, not much for your nose, not too bad either although there is a definite chemical metallic scent that's not too inviting

not impressed, but not repulsive. easy going down but i give it a low drinkability score because it's SO BORING. if you give me 1 minute i can name 100 beers with more taste and more character that would be more fun to drink.

11-26-2005 16:38:23 | More by davidchollar