Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
3.22/5  rDev +37%

Light earth/grassy hop aroma.

Clean and watery, with some amber malt. Not bad for an adjunct. Key wording is "for an adjunct."

Carbonated and thin, not much here. For the style pretty average, but "it beats natty" isn't saying much.

Easy to drink, and reasonably tasty (if your fucked up)

2.9/5  rDev +23.4%

poured from bottle into my favorite beer drinking glass -

Light yellow color with a nice foam that lasted longer than expected -

smell - hints of Barley malt and corn

taste - mellow with a high carbonate factor -

the drinkabilty of this beer is good considering it's price -sure there are better beers out there -but then again you get what you pay for .

2.02/5  rDev -14%

My dad is giving up the juice so this is another entry in the ongoing "What's in pop's beer drawer?".

Appearance- Nothing special, pours like clear water into a pint glass splashing and fizzing into a pale yellow, headless beer.

Smell- It smells like rice and other adjuncts. Maybe a tinge of hop bitterness, more than most adjuncts.

Taste- Certainly not the worst macro that I've had but it's still pretty tasteless. Very bitter but not really in a good way. Sour kind of.

Mouthfeel- Fizzy, fizzy, fizzy. It's very, very thin and watery. Not pleasant to keep in your mouth for a long time.

Drinkability- Due to it's low ABV you can knock back many of these and all you'd get was bored. It's relatively bland but it's kind of what you expect from Anheuser-Busch.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

Had to be reviewed eventually. Poured from 24oz tall can into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: ultra pale straw hue with a haze-free body full of effervescence. Head is three fingers of striking white foam. Color is far from good but the presentation, with head, isn't too horrible.

Smell: mild aroma of sour grain. It's not disgusting, but it smells a little bit like a macro lager. Brilliant description, eh? But really, it smells like a workaday cheap beer. Eh.

Taste: mild flavor of light malt and sour grain. Aftertaste isn't great. Slight bitterness and a flavor which may be an earthy hop, but then again may not. Not impressed.

Mouthfeel: watery and surprisingly uninteresting despite all the apparent effervescence. Not a fan.

Drinkability: this beer is technically drinkable, and I aim to drink the whole can out of fairness (or something). Still ... not an experience I'd relish repeating.

2.75/5  rDev +17%

At a pig roast and was one of two choices the other being Miller Lite. So, I cracked open an icy cold can. Super light straw color. Aroma of corn and additives. Taste was bland and watery compared to a real beer but not so offensive I suppose. The best thing about this King of Beers is the easy water-like drinkability when washing down barbecue.

2.43/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this many times in many of it's bottling/canning derivatives but tonight I'm having it on-tap at the local Round Table pizza with the company of a King Arthur Supreme. A 60 oz pitcher to share with my wife in 2 chilled mugs. Light and fizzy. Average on smell seems worse on taste. I've had this beer so many times but it seems to taste "dirtier" the more I drink it. The so called "King of Beers" but there are many better.

2.68/5  rDev +14%

Definitely should be reserved for gas station desperation purchases. But is always surprisingly decent. I had two Buds the other day; one was warm, the other cold. Obviously cold is better, but both were alright by me. Sometimes I get wrapped up in getting the "good stuff" and forget that the "cheap stuff" is often not too far behind. That being said, this beer does not look or smell impressive at all. Sometimes it does not really matter.

2.47/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer pours with a very clear straw colour and a head that lasts but 10n seconds with almost no further carbonation. It had very little smell. It has a fairly weak flavour but there is something there just before the aftertaste, although I'm not sure what. Drink this when you want to get drunk.

2.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Looks like watered down beer with a lazy head.

Not much in the nose but some sour malt.

Taste is mostly carbonation sting ending with some corn grain flavor. Doesn't feel or taste bad, but doesn't feel or taste good. It is drinkable like water is mindless - little flavor.

2.48/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a really pale yellow color. What little head it did have quickly dissipated to nothing within a minute - almost like soda.

S: Rice, corn, and some other nondescript grains. Some unpleasant metallic quality is detectable with the nose as well.

T: Lots of grain - rice and stale bread. A little of the metallic aroma makes its way into the flavor as well. A touch of sweetness seems to make its way into the taste as well. Buttered corn maybe?

M: This is really where this beer suffers. It somehow manages to be disappointingly watery and yet moderately medium bodied at the same time. Everything would be made better if this just wasn't so watery.

D: Obviously this is not the "King of Beers". However, I don't think it's THAT bad. Don't get me wrong, I won't be buying 6 packs of Bud anytime soon. However, if served ice cold and in the proper social setting I won't refuse to drink a few of these. As far as American Adjuncts go, there are worse ones out there.

12oz can poured into a mug

A pale straw yellow with just a hint of orange near the top with a foamy, paper white head that rises quickly and falls to nothing. Corn and rice in the aroma with no semblance of hops. The flavor, or lack thereof, is more corn and rice and is extremely watered down. Carbonation is high and the finish is dry and crisp. A little bit of corn in the finish. This is just a boring beer. It's not as terrible as some of its counterparts, but it just does not impress by any stretch.

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle served into some sort of plastic cup bullshit

Pours a fizzy yellow color. What else could you expect? Tiny head, no retention, looks pale and translucent. It's hard to rate this category to style, since all the beers look pretty identical. I suppose the lack of head retention is the excuse that I'll use to score this low.

Not much aroma to speak of at all. There's some nasty corn and rice and just-barely malted barley smells. A twinge of hops that comes across as aluminum. That's it.

This tastes a whole lot better than I remember it tasting. Not that it was good, just pretty close to above-average for the style. Yeah, there's the corn and rice bullshit flavor. But you actually get some hops - metallic though they are - and you get that signature shitty green apple flavor. I know that the green apple flavor in most other beers is acetaldehyde - an off-flavor. But this off-flavor, intentional or not, adds complexity to an uncompleted beer.

Does this beer fizz? Yes. Is it light-bodied. Yes. Ergo, nice mouthfeel for the style. Drinkability? Absolutely. If it were lower in ABV% than I might score it higher but I won't since I'm lacking something to offset the awfulness of the flavor.

This is not the worst thing ever. In its abomination of a beer style, I feel that Budweiser actually holds up pretty well. Don't get me wrong though - I never want to drink another one. But rating to style this is pretty OK.

2.32/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours a golden yellow. Very small head if poured right. If poured wrong there will be no beer, just foam.

S - Very faint grains. Almost a metal smell...

T - Again the metal appears. Very poor taste. There is not much flavor and what flavor is present is overcome by carbonation.

M - Not a bad mouthfeel. Very light and bubbly.

D - Good drinkability. With a moderate alcohol content and decent mouthfeel, would not be hard to put a few back... if not for the taste.

I did not rate this poorly because it is a corporate beer, it is just not a high caliber beer.

1.83/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a straw yellow without small bubbly head that dissipates quick enough. No lacing at all. Has an almost metallic smell to it, with faint grainy aroma. I get that I'm supposed to rate to style, but this beer isn't tasty. It isn't the most horrible thing either. Carbonation very prickly, making the mouthfeel a bit harsh and made me want to stop drinking.

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

Overall: This is a light drinkable beer which I can generally take or leave. I do admit, even as an avid home brewer, I enjoy taking a cold Bud out of a bucket of ice once in a while on a hot summer day while slaving over the barbecue. It serves it's purpose. It is, after all, one of the most consumed beers in the world. But that may not be saying much.

Appearance: I would only drink this from a bottle or keg and it pours a very pale yellow with little to no head. If it does develop a head, it disappears quickly. Highly carbonated.

Smell: It smells like beer and I think I can pull some hops out of it. However, it has a sweet rice filler aroma.

Taste: Very mild and refreshing. Like I said, good on a hot summer day when you are very thirsty. It goes down smooth.

Mouth feel: Heavy on the carbonation but not offensive. Finishes slightly bitter.

Drinkability: This beer is highly drinkable and goes down easy. If your looking for a refreshing, drinkable beer, this is it. Would take it over Coors any day. Otherwise, stick with the craft brews for fuller flavor and body. Not saying that craft brews are not refreshing and drinkable, they definitely are, but just a little heavier. It also depends on the meal you wish to drink with.

3.6/5  rDev +53.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I dunno, gonna rate this to style as I have probaly had about ten thousand of these and think for AAL you really can't do much better. It doesn't smell offenseive. It looks ok. It tastes refreshing and clean. You can do ALOT worse than bud, lemme tell ya.

2.28/5  rDev -3%

consumed 05-18-2009, 24oz can into pint glass.

appearance: poured a golden color with a nice size head. lots of active carbonation going on.

smell: metallic with hints of grain and cereal. also some cooked corn/rice scents.

taste: grain and corn and a bit of metal. Leaves sort of a strange after taste. finishes crisp & clean like advertised.

mouthfeel: carbonation is on the higher side. body is pretty light and thin.

drinkability: it is what it is. probably the beers best quality.

4.44/5  rDev +88.9%

General Comments: This beer does not seem very popular among aficionados, but I must admit that I like it quite a bit. This style of beer obviously aims for a light, drinkable tone with a mild and bittersweet taste. In spite of what you might think about the macro brews (and American adjunct lagers), this beer accomplishes its purpose very well.

Appearance: I Poured from a can to a glass. The beer is golden-yellow in color with a hearty, frothy head that lingers just long enough, with a few bubbles.

Smell: The smell is weak, and not terribly impressive, but not offensive either. If I could get anything, there seemed to be a slight, malty undertone.

Taste: There is an excellent balance of malts and hops, with a slightly bitter finish (not too bitter though). I detected a hint of cream corn in the flavor. Overall, the flavor was pretty mild, but definitely present but without an aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Refreshing, but not bland either. There is a "good"/ balanced level of carbonation, and the beer does not tend to go flat too quickly.

Drinkability: Bud's drinkability is another one of its highlights. Its quite refreshing, mild, with an interesting blend of flavors that makes it refreshing on a warm day. It is an excellent choice to serve with salty snacks, or a BBQ meal.

The beer is very pale yellow, a white head that leaves no lacing.

The smell is weak, some sweet corn, some citrus and a bit metallic.

The taste is also weak, some sweetness, corn flakes, some acidity and almost no bitterness. As taste-free as a beer can get.

Rather high carbonation, a watery feeling.

Well it's easy to drink, and does not leave a lot for your senses. This is actually the 3.5% version for the Swedish market, brewed in the UK. A bit less sweet/alcoholic than it's big brother.

2.69/5  rDev +14.5%

Not my favorite by any means. Just another cheap american beer. Heavily carbonated and not heavily flavored. Slightly watery when compared to fancier types, and the only thing that keeps this beer going is its connection to america and patriotism....

2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

A- Golden, with lots of carbonation bubbles. Mediocre head retention, though good for style.
S- Smell is grain and corn. The corn smell is less present than when in cans though.
T- Cereal, with a metallic/artificial hop flavor lingering in the aftertaste. Grain and corn throughout.
M- Smooth and clean.
D- Meh. On tap it's not a terrible adjunct. Better than light beer. Average adjunct.

2.85/5  rDev +21.3%

Pale average color. Simple aroma of beer. Standard, run-of-the-mill favor. A plain simple beer for a regular workaday mood. I'd have to say this is a consistently brewed beer from which my relative tastes refer. When I feel like I don't want to notice much flavor from my beer this is my standby.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

My mom picked this up for me as a joke so I thought I would review it.

Appearance- pale yellow color, no head

Smell- adjunct grain, corn

Taste- adjunct grain, corn

Mouthfeel- light bodied

Drinkability- I think this is horrible. Better than Bud Light but still a statement that they care more about marketing than their actual beer.

2.45/5  rDev +4.3%

On the adjunct lag-o-meter I would give this a solid B+.

To me it taste best out of a 12oz can; and for some oddball reason this beer doesn't bother me if it is warm. For this review I purchased a 24oz can at a convenient store and poured it into a flared pilsner.

Poured a very light yellow with a bubbly white head that stuck around for a while.

Key words here are "watered down." Had a corn bread quality - kind of toasty like a campfire. It has a bite from the carbonation. Maybe it's just me but the intensity of the flavor, which was never high to begin with, seems to have gone down. It taste more "cheap."

I personally don't think this is the "King" of the adjunct lagers, more like the "Tyrant" of lagers - it isn't the best but it rules the adjunct lager realm with an iron fist of marketing.

I use to drink a lot of this stuff, but since they sold out to InBev I have for the most part abstained from purchasing this. It use to be my American mega-brewery, go-to beer in a can, but not anymore. Mostly I drink it for nostalgia sake. Anheuser-Bush is not an exclusively American controlled company anymore, so skip the "All American" patriotism talk! I drink this with a heavy heart - why couldn't AB remain American!?! WWWHHHYYY!!!

1.53/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle poured into Dogfish Head signature glass (July 10, 2010). Born on date of "17Jun2010st30" on the label.

A neighbor offered me a bud, I figured I'd take it to review. Ahhh, the "King of Beers"

Eyes: Pours a pale yellow straw color. A vigorous pour creates a foamy, white, soap-like head that dissipates quickly and doesn't lace.

Nose: Smells a bit like musty grain, not too much going on here. It isn't musty, it just smells that way.

Tongue: More grain here, a bit more of that clear cereal flavor. Some faint alcohol and grainy bitterness.

Mouth: Very lively, I guess it needs to be.

Libation: What is there to say? It's a standard macro adjunct lager. It's not good, and I will probably never drink it again.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch