Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -23.6%

I ended up at a cookout this evening, and there was nothing available to drink other than four kinds of macro-swill, Budweiser being one of the domestic varieties (along with Yuengling Light). The imported swills included Corona and Kronenbourg 1664. Instead of leaving and embarrasing my family, I took this as an opportunity to try beers I had not consumed in over two years. Frankly, I wish I had left when I had the chance. The Budweiser poured a light urine yellow. The smell and taste were pathetic--the most distinctive part of it was the grain (no hops that I could detect). In simplest term, this brew is worthless.

longpondbeerman, May 28, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -27%

When I poured this beer, i did a double take, because I thought that i had mistakenly picked up a bottle of water. There is no appearance to this beer. Its color, simply put, isn't. Head is average in thickness, but is gone within a minute, with no lace and just a small ring. Smell is a tiny bit of hops with a tiny bit of malt, and an overall wet dog smell. The taste is sweet, and it has huge overtones of corn. No hops in the taste. The mouthfeel is simply uncomfortable. Its not crisp at all, its kind of cheesy feeling in the mouth, with a small bit of carbonatoin on the back of the tongue. Although it is better that some macro-runoff that I've had, its just not good.

FranklinPCombs, May 28, 2004
2.05/5  rDev -12%

One of the perils of playing softball is that you might end up with a 6-pack of macro that you feel you should take home, if only to prevent some 12-year-old from digging it out of the trash for a thrill-ride to hell.

To avoid the metallic taste of the can, poured into a pint glass bright yellow, about the same color of my urine sample after a heavy dose of Golden Seal. The head didn't stick around long, can't really judge the lacing yet as I don't think I can get far enough to leave any, will let you know later in the review. Smells of sugar, malt, rice pudding. Taste. What? Good God, malty and watery, extremely watery. Are there hops in this? They sure aren't the "choicest" if there are. Doesn't really taste like much...oh crap, I just burped. Hey...it tastes the same.

Mouthfeel, well to be honest it doesn't offend much, lack of taste makes it kind of like a seltzer, you don't really like it but it still feels alright. This might make a decent Shandy. Ah, another sip and it looks like there's a sort of lacing that looks like the fog on the locker room shower doors.

Drinkability rates with age...not the beer's, yours:
When I was 16 at the Monster Truck Rally - 5
When I was 21 getting free pitchers at bars by beating people at billiards - 4
Now at 33 years old - 2
After 10 more years of drinking the good stuff - 1
When I'm old and my liver starts chastizing me - 3
So, I guess that's a 3

Bottom line, basic American macro lager, would still take it over a Silver Bullet.

PS - does maintain carbonation well, foamed quite a bit when poured in the sink.

PopeJonPaul, May 26, 2004
1.85/5  rDev -20.6%

OK...OK...OK...It's a denizen of the dross deep A-B BUD that is being quote ah-hem...reviewed. Here goes: 12. oz can flowed into a standard pilsner. Can you believe that they write about choice rice in the beer on the can label?

I realize that this seems odd to review BUD, but it’s a personal quest to return to "days-gone-by" with current brewski know-how thoughts.

Pours out very fizzy & carbonated with a faintest not even yellow color. More like ½ lemonade & ½ tap water in a glass. The suds keep sudsin’. A teensy-weensy bright white ¼” head covers the pils.

Smells of malts, and pronounced adjuncts of rice and malts.

Tastes like an oil soda. I am really stretching for flavor, here. Even after a few swirls, the flavor is unpleasant clean rice. The best part of BUD is its neverending suds that make up an acceptable feel for the 1st five swigs, prior to a leap into swill land. I honestly have a hard time drinking this so-called, self-professed King of Beers.

Last swigs: Why do people actually pay for this? It’s beers like this that help me appreciate which beers are great. Heaven is a good beer. Arg! I took one for the BA team here.

(other) Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, May 21, 2004
1.48/5  rDev -36.5%

Full-bodied sweat. Quite difficult to drink, the flavors are muddled and the beer, so rich for its style, is entirely offputting. For flavors this off, we need a lighter beer -- having to focus on such sensations is painful. Out of the bottle, this is easily among the worst beers I have ever had.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, May 16, 2004
1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Terrible. This beer is terrible. Even for a macro brew, I was not impressed. My best friend drinks this shit by the pool all Summer long and I gave it a try in a 40 oz. bottle. Tasted like piss and has it warmed, well you can only imagine. About an hour after I killed it also got the worst headache I've had in God knows how long. King of Beers my ass.

cptnjck101, May 15, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

Well, mighty Budweiser, we meet at last. Though your domination of the beer world has earned you the King of Beers title, what can you offer someone like me, a beer drinker with opinions? You pour a piss yellow with absolutely no head whatsoever. You smell like nothing at all. You taste of slight hops, but nothing substantial and very watered down. You are fairly drinkable ... just like water. So poo poo to you, "King" of beers? Please.

On a side note, the maxim printed on the side of your can mangles the English language, and my girlfriend, who is an English major, would be pissed if I didn't point that out. Is this supposed to indicate the intelligence of the average Bud drinker?

RocketWidget, May 14, 2004
2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

Decided to take advantage of the nice weather and do a bit of yard work. After sweating for hours went to the small package store around the corner and opted to refresh myself with Budweiser. I actually remember rading somewhere years ago that Bud is good for muscles when you've been doing a lot of work in hot weather. And I have to agree there is something refreshing about drink a Bud in the right circumstances. The beer is pale yellow in color with a higher carbonation than most other beers. The smell and the taste both come across as slightly salty to my nose and tongue. I could easily drink this beer all night if my goal was to get hammered. But I do that so rarely, I opted for two cans to help me relax.

MuddyFeet, Apr 18, 2004
2.3/5  rDev -1.3%

went to eat yesterday and this, budlight, miller light, coors light and fosters was the tap selection. pretty crazy guys! anyway, havent had a bud in a long time so, i got one. it was extremely clear and pale with an almost fluorescent yellow tint. big foamy white head that falls flat. the smell is very faint, smells like clean low impact beer. in the mouth it was crisp and cold, bubbly and refreshing, but in the taste department it was whack. very light corn notes, a slight funk, and seemed lighter than the budlight i had not to long ago. strange. anyway, lackluster beer, but drinkable.

DESTRO, Apr 11, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

I had this one on tap at the ocean side bar located at the public pier at Tybee Island, GA. My choice was limited to Bud &Bud Light.

The beer was a very pale yellow with some quickly disappearing white foam.

Not much smell, I got some cooked veggie thing and a little green grain smell.

The taste is very mild with only a little sweetness and the faintest and I mean faintest hints of hops. The taste was not bad, but not good, just very bland.

The beer is crisp and I think that’s its major selling point (other than all of that advertising…). It has perfect carbonation for what it is. Even so, the motuthfeel is very thin.

Not a beer that I would ever go out of may way to order but I had no real options. There are many better macros & regional beers of this type available, but Bud is not the worst of the bunch either.

Redrover, Apr 06, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

My goodness, even on-tap this beer is terrible. The only thing I'll give credit for was the appearance on this beer. It did look somewhat decent with a nice amount of carbonation. But after that there was nothing impressive about it. Smell? Maybe a very slight touch of grain but that's about it. Taste was the same way. Nothing happening here. It did finish crisp and dry which was ok, but that's about it.

necoadam, Apr 04, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -3.4%

I can tolerate most bland macro beers, and in fact enjoy them. Budweiser is probably my least favorite of the full flavored standards. The appearance is nothing special, slightly fizzy yellow. Barely any smell. It feels okay in the mouth, and drinks easy, but there is something a little off in the taste. Not sure if it's the use of rice. I would rather drink Schlitz for a bland watery macro. Advertising got this beer where it is today. Oh that and the public's lack of taste.

cedricwarner, Apr 02, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -4.3%

I went bowling last night and had Bud on tap for the first time. I used to be able to drink it from the bottle and found it to be okay if served ice cold. It was cheaper than soda, so I figured what the hell. This site has officially ruined my taster, it was like I dumped water into a decent beer. No hops, no malt no nothing. Bland as all hell. It looks piss yellow, has no smell (what little it does have isn't good) feels like water. If you don't mind drinking it, it has a great drinkibility, of course, so does water.

I ended up getting coke instead as their other selections were pretty bad.

--Joey

Joey7F, Apr 01, 2004
2.3/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz can, born on date of jan 22, 2004. ahh the "The King of Beers". I grabbed a can for research purposes out of a cooler that was not gonna be finished after an affair I was at. No noticable aroma/nose. Very minimal malt, no hops ...hmmm whats left? as we all know, this is about as close to water as can be. Pass it by.

Billolick, Mar 29, 2004
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

12 oz bottle that has been in my fridge longer than I care to think about. I'm not even going to look at the Born on Date for this one.

Pours a light golden color with a little foamy head that goes away rather quickly. Some hoppy aroma and a carbination frenzy in the mouth that gives way to a brief hint of pale hops on the way down.

Extremely easy to drink. American lagers serve their purpose, like when you've been drinking good beer most of the night and you get to the point where it doesnt much matter what you drink next, youve surpassed the point of appreciation. Save some money and grab the King of Beers (I laugh every time I hear that) and seize the night.

fdrich29, Mar 29, 2004
2.03/5  rDev -12.9%

For my 666th review I will try my first ever Budweiser.

I poured the “King of Beers” into a Pilsner glass and I was rewarded with a sickly pale yellow hued beer with modest animation racing towards the bubbly white head. After reaching about a finger and a half in height the head subsided to a loose cap rather quickly, this did hang around awhile though. No subsequent lacing was produced. Visually this looks like a very sad beer. I found the nose to be sickly sweet, it is not very clean or lagerish; behind the sweetness is a note of grain. This is not an inviting bouquet. I regrettably am about to take my first sip… ever. The palate is bland, sweet, and clean. There really isn’t much flavor and thus Bud’s popularity. Some graininess and husk is found way behind the vast nothingness. The finish is clean, empty. Like almost all AB products I’ve had I got a headache drinking this one, this hurts my personal view on its drinkability. If I were forced to drink an American mass-produced Pale Lager I would pick Coors Original, Miller High Life, or Leinenkugel’s Northwoods Lager. The strongest aspect of this beer is its mouthfeel, it is medium, sturdy carbonation, very basic but appropriate. I was actually expecting to find a decent beer with Budweiser but I found out that the king has no clothes. This is a pointless drink and I will never consume it again.

bditty187, Mar 25, 2004
2.05/5  rDev -12%

12 oz can

Apperance. The head lasted a couple of seconds. Nothing was left after the head dissapeared. The color is baby yellow. Clear as day.

Nose: Rotten eggs, grain, wheat.

Taste: Very crisp on the tounge. It has a Pepsi type of carbonation. After the crisp "taste" the beer just dissapears from your mouth. it doesent leave much of a trace of flavor. I honestly didnt get much. Maybe some wheat or grass.

Notes: Nice on a summer day; If you dont care about taste. there are other things to "quench your thirst"...as some people claim they like Bud for.

travolta, Mar 25, 2004
1.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A hard pour produced a pale gold well carbonated body, with a pillowy two finger tall white head.
Very clean aroma, lightly toasted malt. I'm getting no hops at all from the taste or aroma. A bit of grain in each, but thats it.
Light bodied, a touch of butterscotch, very clean. There just isn't much here. Built to not offend.

mschofield, Mar 23, 2004
2.45/5  rDev +5.2%

A beer designed to be drinkable, and nothing more.

Poured a yellow so pale I almost thought it was mountain dew. Head dissapeared quickly, leaving me with my light, indistinguashable beer.

Aroma wasn't bad, lager yeast, touch of caramel and minute hops.

Flavor was basically bland, nothing really bad, nothing really good. Generally sweet, with the barest touch of hops. If it wasn't so light it could be out of balance.

Thin and watery on the mouth, and overall, a poor beer. Not the worst on earth, but so plain and in inviting I couldn't buy it.

Char

Charthepirate, Mar 19, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance:
Extremely clear light golden color. Head is heavy at first but leaves very quickly. Almost like a soda pop.

Smell:
Doesn't smell like much... has a typical "beer" smell... light hops and grain.

Taste:
Tastes like tonic water if you filtered it through a piece of bread. Not much character or flavor. Aftertaste has light grain.

Mouthfeel:
Sharp carbonation (again like soda pop) and very thin in mouth.

Drinkability:
It's pretty easy to drink because it doesn't taste like anything. I wouldn't go out of my way to have one.

jsolack, Mar 17, 2004
2.65/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

The white head clings to the palest of brews.

I was amazed to find an aroma here. Perhaps because I let it get towards room temperature. A yeasty smell was evident and pleasant.

The taste was somewhat nondescript but also nonoffensive- it faded away quickly. Very little mouthfeel but certainly quite drinkable.

As a cornfed beer drinker I had to admit this rice brewed Bud wasn't bad.

One historical thought- like Pilsner, Budweiser was once a style of beer. In fact, Miller and other big brewers offered their own Budweisers! Props to the AB legal team!

brewQ, Mar 17, 2004
1.02/5  rDev -56.2%

Ok.. after a look back at this review, i decided to lower the rating even more. This beer has no flavour, except for the faint beachwood ??? either way it tastes bad, barely any aroma, so its hard to determine what it is even supposed to smell like. I guess the only plus about this beer is that it goes down like water, very smooth. If your looking for beer, don't waste your cash on this * beer*. Highly overpriced for its *quality*

CreamAle128, Mar 14, 2004
2.68/5  rDev +15%

I like this beer even though its not my favorite. Its a pale yellowish color with almost no excisting head. It tastes of some malt mostly but its pretty one dimensional. Great beer to have under the sun while grilling its probbably the only beer that i'll keep drinking from my college (cheap) years when they are over.

JoEBoBpr, Mar 08, 2004
2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

A friend stopped by with some while I was outdoors enjoying the sun, so I said, "What the hell, let's review". So, poured into the glass with a short lived white head over pale watery looking yellow liquid. Nose is light with weak adjuncty aromas...not too much goin' on, you catch my drift? The taste was much like the nose, a brief crispness gives way to pinprick carbonation and flavors of light light malt and adjuncty/rice/corn flavors. Finishes quick and watery. Over, finished, done, gone, out!

beerluvr, Feb 29, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -16.3%

Yuck. What a stale nasty excuse for a beer. It gets you drunk and that's about all it's good for. It has a terrible aftertaste, and almost as bad of an actual taste. It amazes me what a great marketing campaign can do for such an awful excuse for a beverage.

maccroz, Feb 21, 2004