Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -7.7%

Beer number 3 in my continuing cruise seer series. As with the Heineken, I decided to have a Bud because I had tired of the mediocre imports. And on a cruise ship, if you don't have what's available, you don't have anything. This time, and this may have been due to those same bad imports, I was pleasantly surprised. Oh, I'm not going to give Bud a high rating but it was better than the Heiny.

The Bud poured a yellow gold with a vigorous ehad and vivacious carbonation. This looks like the Alka Seltzer of beer and that's not too far from the truth. The aroma was very slight, touches of grain, malt and hops.

OK, the Bud didn't taste all that bad. I drank it fast and it was a thirst quencher. However, without getting too much into the flavor profile here (it's a very brief profile...grain, slight hops and distant sweetness) it's best to just sum up the discussion by saying that it is not a good beer but in fact serves a purpose as a beer for a hot day. The end.

kindestcut, Aug 28, 2003
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

The beer spouts forth from the tap a pale, leering lemon yellow, with a relatively fat, unnaturally carbonated head, much like a soda. Far too pale to be an all malt beer, with that much alcohol. This is the stuff borne of rice. Head thins out to nearly nothing almost immediately, maintained only with a healthy dose of forced carbonation.
Aroma is rich with rice adjunct. Mild noble hop presence, with just a touch of actual malt. Slight alcohol, which actually enhances the aroma of this liquid wonder.
Flavor is initially nothing, traveling into a metallic rice sweetness, with a fairly clean hopping towards the end. Carbonation is sodalike and large bubbled. Very artificial tasting. Regardless of their natural carbonation claims, I'm not buying it. Absolutely no aftertaste. This is perhaps one of the most inoffensive beers I've ever had. So bland, I really can't think of anything funny to say about it. Not really terrible, but there's so much better out there, why bother?

UnionMade, Aug 24, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -21.5%

Why Budweiser sells the way it does should be the eighth wonder of the world. Extremely over marketed, this is truly a bad beer when one considers the countless other brews in this world of ours. Appearance is typical for a main stream American beer. A weak head with weak lace, "Bud" is literally urine yellow. The smell is again typical for a main streamer. The taste is weak and dull. I saw where someone else called Bud "alcoholic water", and must say that is indeed an accurate description. Not a terrible lot happening with mouthfeel, either. Feels like you've got a mouth full of highly carbonated, over rated sub-standard beer. Wait a minute... you do! Finish leaves a bit of an after taste you'll be burping up for hours to come. A lot of folks like this stuff; "why" remains a mystery.

SilentSabre, Aug 23, 2003
2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with big white fizzy head that leaves very quickly on its own, leaving only a white ring. Clear as water, with a yellow/gold color. Aroma is clean and somewhat crisp, with a slight grainy malt quality and a shot of hops. Not as pleasing as some macros. Flavor is shallow overall, and make it's presence greatest on the finish with a not unpleasant hop dryness, that gives it a refreshing quality. At the beginning the carbonation is most present with a slight stinging on the tip of the tongue followed by a bland malt taste. Very thin, with soft fullness from carbonation that is excessive (hic).
Bud is what it is. They give me soccer on TV for free.

garymuchow, Aug 07, 2003
2.75/5  rDev +18%

This isn't bad at all. Better than basically any light beer there is. The adjuncts are still strong with a rice flavor that is listed on the bottle. But it gives me more taste than other macro lagers can. It is crisp and refreshing something I need after working in this summer heat.

granger10, Aug 06, 2003
1.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Bud is Bud. It IS an amazing fact that they can brew so much of this stuff and it always tastes the same. Lots of better beers and lots of beers that are worse. Lt gold color, large head. Lt flavor, no maltyness, some hoppyness. Pilsner Style beer, but very light flavor. Neutral mouthfeel, some hoppyness on tongue. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is neutral, slightly bitter.

beerguy101, Aug 03, 2003
1.8/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer is a wonderous example of what multi-million dollar ad campaigns can do for what is really a rather lousy product. Now, this isn't the worst beer I've ever had, but it's way down at the bottom of my list. Watery taste, no real smell to speak of, and worst of all, when poured into a glass, it has a color that manages to have the closest possible resemblance to urine.

All in all, this is what I like to refer to as "a beer of last resort."

SetarconeX, Jul 31, 2003
1.65/5  rDev -29.2%

Ach. This can of Bud came from the A/B brewery, not Labatt. The difference is amazing. When the tab was opened, an immediate smell of white rice came wafting through the air. Poured a typical Budweiser colour, with a very faint head. Smelled of rice, corn, other adjuncts, and that's it. No malt, no hops. Tasted bland. Sort of a Molson Canadian taste, but weaker. I can see why people slam this beer.

slitherySOB, Jul 29, 2003
2.75/5  rDev +18%

I don't know why I rate these. I guess it is because my town is hung up on nothing but macros everywhere you go. Pours yellow a little half inch head....yadayada. Taste is a little hoppy and malty. Served cold it is drinkable. Not that bad. Contrary to aging beer they like to tell you when it will spoil. I hate to admit I drank this for many years. But my excuse is I was not aware of what was available.

daledeee, Jul 24, 2003
3.68/5  rDev +57.9%

This is the beer we grew up on....
As a brewer I find it amazingly consistant and the fact that it is brewed in several different locations across the country makes it even more impressive!!!

Appearance: Light Golden, perfectly bright. To me it looks like the most amazing summer day!!
Smell: Slight Corn, pleasant and fresh
Taste: Crisp and light. Very Slight almost non-existant malt with a light pleasant clean hop finish
Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated; just what you want from a American lager. The can even adds to the experience. The can shimmers with melted ice from my cooler with wheels
Drinkability: Must I even say how drinkable this beer is. The most drinkable as far as I am concerned.

Bud is deliberately brewed, exceptionally crafted and completely ounded by many. This one should be enjoyed without too much thought!!!

konabrewer, Jul 22, 2003
2.6/5  rDev +11.6%

7/15/2003 - Boston concert at Cincinnati Riverbend Music Center. After downing a Bud Light, I must find at least regular Bud. They serve it at either end of a 300 yard wide concession area, but nowhere in between. Idiots. The band hasn't started yet and the missus and I are still Smokin' from this warm day with high humidity, so I'm off for Round 2. As I'm walking back, I hear them doing Star Spangled Banner. It has begun.

I take my seat as they begin. All Boston, no warm-up band, are these guys good or what?

My Bud beer has a decidedly deeper yellow color than its Light brother, but it's still pretty pale. Thin but foamy head with lots of bubble supply from below. Slightly more malt aroma, but more adjunct aroma, too. Smells better than the cup though, which is about all I got sniffing Light.

This first Bud had significantly more taste than the Bud Light before it, so at least I stepped up a bit there. Grainier with lots of bubbles. More sweetness as well. Approaching dusk as I Cool The Engines with this Beer #2.

Beer #3, not much sweetness now, just the grain and the bubbles. Slightly more smooth going down, though. And it's not just More Than A Feeling that I shoulda stopped at the loo, it's a command. Calling to a Higher Power that I make it in time, I hoof it to the men's room for some relief. My wife calls out to bring another round. Goes without saying, so I Don't Look Back at her.

Beer #4 - the skies have opened up and drenched us to the bone. Boston plays 3 or 4 songs during the entire cloudburst without so much as a hesitation for applause between tunes, just a musical transition into each successive tune from these musically creative geniuses, battling the thunder from the sky above which also treats us to a higher altitude lightning show nothing short of awesome. What a Rock&Roll Band, huh? Very impressive. This beer, the alcohol taste prevails over the grain, but I don't care. The music is great, my wife is by my side (I'll skip any innuendo to Foreplay/Long Time here if you don't mind) and we have a Peace Of Mind as Boston plays for 2 and a half hours. A great evening despite the rain, an even better band, a top-notch lady by my side, but just an adequate beer.

brewdlyhooked13, Jul 17, 2003
2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

I expected much worse anyways, but the beer's a plain old mediocre lager. Pours a clean golden tone with carbonation and a medium white head that remains for a while and leaves some lacing. The smell, giving off some maltyness and hoppyness is not very strong.

The taste, somewhat sweet reflects the maltyness and is a tad bitter at the end but is rather too soft and the body is extremely watery which concurs with what should be its motto, "The king of mass-production".

Andreji, Jul 16, 2003
2.68/5  rDev +15%

I poured this in a glass for reviewing purposes, but I prefer to drink a beer like this out of the can...it just feels right to me. It's a pale clear yellow with little head or carbonation. Scent is slightly grainy & actually somewhat malty if you get a good whiff, with some other 'acidic' sort of scent, if that makes any sense. Not a whole lot to smell. The taste is very mild but not completely watery. There is something in the taste of Budweiser that sets it apart slighly from the other american mass produced lagers. Just enough taste for me to choose this over say MGD of something. Nothing special here, but tolerable. Leaves a bit of a syrupy mouthfel..never noticed that before really. Very easy to drink..not really that exciting to drink, but easy

avylover, Jul 10, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -21.5%

OK, I am taking my BA.com ratings seriously. I will even rate a .... ugh, must I say it, Budweiser. It has a mild fruity to no aroma. It has a head of fine bubbles that disappears quickly and body with a watery weak light yellow color. You can taste the carbonation in you r mouth. I look at the glass and bubbles are still rising off its bottom. I belch after the first taste. I can still taste the carbonation on my front teeth. The flavor is weak to non-existent. Definitely a no-character brew. There is no real flavor to speak of. There was very little lacing on the side of the glass. I belch again. Must I drink more of this swill? OK, I finished the glass and just had to come back and add one more point. I did get a buzz off this beer and for a cheap drunk; I had to bump up its rating. After all, it was only $0.89.

TheDM, Jul 07, 2003
1.4/5  rDev -39.9%

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. There was no lacing with this beer. The body was clear and yellow in hue. The carbonation was fizzy. The aroma was somewhat fruity. The initial flavor was moderately sweet and the finishing flavor was lightly sweet and lightly acidic. The mouthfeel was light, thin and watery.

hotstuff, Jul 01, 2003
1.93/5  rDev -17.2%

The only non-light beer available at a steak fry so....

Pours golden pale with a soft white head that fades immediately. The aroma is mosty green apples and sour maltiness. The taste is clean, inoffensive, and pretty much non-existent. This beer does what it is supposed to, so I guess that is worth something.

brakspear, Jun 16, 2003
2.55/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer doesn't deserve a full descriptive detail, but I have to mention how impressed with its consistency I am. It tastes the same as it did the first time I had it. It pours like selzer, smells like the recycling bin, and tastes not much different than the bin would on a hot day. Its a shame that the best ingredients end up with such a fate.

But I was painting my bedroom midday, and any other beer might have made me tipsy enough to have problems with edging. Fortuantely I was able to drink several Budwiesers and still get the job done.

freed, Jun 13, 2003
2.1/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a rather sickly pale shade of yellow, topped by a nice foamy snow white head which did peek above the glass. Drops a little quick though, to a thin table top head. Aroma features some grassy hop notes but also a hint of "the morning after". That is, the aroma a room picks up after a party when too much beer is imbedded in the carpets and upholstrey. Mouthfeel is overly fizzy. Taste is an oddity. There is a slight hop note, but it's a small tingle and no bite.How can a beer with almost no perceptible malt come across as sweet? Not sweet like a dopplebock, just a vague overall sweet characteristic. Drinkability? Could I drink another? Sure. Do I want to? No.

A beer so inoffensive, it's offensive.

RonfromJersey, Jun 01, 2003
2.83/5  rDev +21.5%

A light straw color, some hops and corn on the nose, but overally un-offensive. Some light malt and light hops are detected, thin bodied, obvious adjuncts, and a watery finish. Lacks a true body, but overall, drinkable when backed in a corner, the king in lower case letters.

GeoffRizzo, May 31, 2003
1.98/5  rDev -15%

Pours a mild goden color, topped by a loose, white head. Aroma is slightly sweet, with a distinct grainy note. The taste is pretty mellow, with a touch of sweetness on the finish and something resembling hops. The mouthfeel is agressive due to the large and prevalent carbonation. The drinkability is a little less than average, as I can't seem to stomach more than one of these, ever. This beer has almost all the qualities of a lager I don't like, and none that I do. The King of Beers on volume alone, I must admit that they always taste identical.

aaronh, May 28, 2003
2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

Blah blah mass produced swill blah blah.

Now that that's over with... I've gone my entire young life without ever having a Budweiser (though I have partaken of Bud Light before), so I last Thursday when I was grilling out on a budget I figured that a budget beer would go perfectly. And I was right. Ribs + Budweiser = pretty darn good. Could it have been better? Of course! But it couldn't have been much cheaper.

It poured a pale unimpressive yellow, but the head retention was surprisingly good! Smell was of hops, corn, and some funky odor that I can't place. Not bad enough to discourage consumption, but enough to discourage further smelling. The taste was uneventful - carbonated beer-flavored water. Dry finish with almost a hint of hops. This beer's best suit? You can pound them back one after the other. And, it's better than Bud Light.

jlervine, May 18, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +85.8%

Yeah yeah I know pretty high marks for Bud but I love the stuff.If I had to pick a mass produced "swill" beer it would be Bud.The color is always perfectly golden yellow whether can,bottle or draft.

Not much aroma that can be defined as hops or malt-the smell reminds me of Yankee Stadium actually...hahahahaha.It has a crisp taste with just enough bite to be discernable from say Coors or Miller.Again I wouldnt call it hops or malt-probably the glycol or other chemicals they supposedly add.

An average mouthfeel but overall a drinkibility thats hard to beat.If Im not drinking homebrew or micros nothing beats a Bud for this kid.I dont care about the mass marketing and that Im paying to keep the speedboat running or the race car going or the Clydesdales happy-they make a consistantly decent product that has its rightfull place in "beerdom"

lackenhauser, May 17, 2003
2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Diesel is probably one of my favorites made by the Annheuiser Busch Corporation. It actually goes down very well, and I can see why it lives up to the name of "The King of All Beers." Although, changing the logo to modernize the brand might not hurt either from a marketing aspect.

Rootdog316, May 11, 2003
2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

Definately not that good. A very pale coloured beer with little to no head. This is OK to drink, if it is the only option but otherwise I would go with almost anything else. This tastes like beer flavoured water and it has basically no mouthfeel. It does not smell too great either and the drinkability is crap. It is better in the bottle than it is in the can though.

francisweizen, May 05, 2003
3.13/5  rDev +34.3%

In my opinion, the "King of Beers" is the best of the American macros. Do I really need to explain it to anyone? I go to school in Williamsburg, right next to Busch Gardems and the Bud brewery, and this beer is everywhere! This is always the beer that I choose when I go somewhere that doesn't have decent imports. Much better than the "Silver Bullet" or the God awful Bud Light. If you go to Pizza Hut or Outback, then I'd take this. However, if you're drinking in your house, do yourself a favor and pick up a decent beer.

WMBierguy, May 03, 2003