Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.72/5  rDev +15.7%

After reviewing Michelob Ultra on a hot August day I went ahead and jotted down a review for this.

Standard bottle with a born on date of June 23, 2008.

Pours a pale, yellowish color, not much darker than Bud Light. Foam rose to an artificial looking, Alka Seltzeresque head. The head actually appears lumpy from a hard pour.

The nose showed a light corn and grass aroma with not much else, pretty typical for this style.

The mouthfeel was thin and smooth showing a refreshing crispness. I can see why, served ice cold, this is popular on a hot day.

The taste was light and obviously inoffensive to anybodys palate and finished very clean. Just cold and refreshing and very little flavor to get in the way.

I will give credit where credit is due; I can see this beer washing down pizza or nachos, especially if the selection is all BMC products. Not very good but not as bad as a lot of people here make it out to be. This is probably as light a beer as I would ever care to drink but I would much rather have more malt and hops.

Just as an aside, I find it ironic that my father always considered this a premium beer that he sometimes couldn't afford and therefore would settle for what he called "bitter" beer like PBR. He frowns on me now because I pay even more money for what he also calls "bitter" beer such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

3.1/5  rDev +31.9%

A - Clear yellow with big lively bubbles. Decent fizzy head that fizzles down to a light lace quickly.

S & T - Wiff of metallic, kind of coppery, followed by faint wheat smell. Somewhat sweet in smell. Taste is mostly the same. There's this mix of metal and wheat with very minimal hops. Definite corn mash in here. Not much bitterness here. Clean and pretty crisp.

M - Very fizzy at first but becomes almost flat near the end. Relatively smooth, but heavy.

Not as bad as I had thought it would be. Lacks complexity and strong flavors, but refreshing overall. Very filling.

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

Thanks Dad for this one.

Poured a 12oz can into my Blue Moon pint glass.
This beer pours a clear straw yellow with just a bit of fizz. I was rather surprised at the lack of head that came out. No lacing. The beers aroma is typical of a macro lager. Hints of corn and subtle non descript sweetness come through. The taste is much the same. All sorts of average going on in this one. The mouthfeel is light and finishes dry. While I know many people would mock me for giving this beer as high a rating as I did, Bud has its benefits and its drinkability is one of them. It's really easy (on one of those nights respect for beer gets tossed out with the empties) to pound several. Its crisp and easy to drink when its ice cold.

2.41/5  rDev +2.6%

Ehhh, an American classic, yes. A great beer? Not in my opinion. It has a pretty mediocre taste that isn't hard to beat out. I rarely drink this as its close to the opposite of what I like but I don't need to go on. Hey... try it, it is a legend after all. (Personally I like Miller's taste better but I'll drink Bud if it's there)

2.26/5  rDev -3.8%

Had this on tap from a drink stand at the Projekt Revolution tour in Charlotte, NC.

A - Clear yellow with a finger or less of head that disappeared rather quickly.

S - What smell? Faint DMS with some metal and cereal grain.

T - Most of what makes Bud interesting is lost, and much of what makes it slightly offensive is all that's left. Grain husk with a metallic bite at the end was all I could taste.

M - Very fizzy, light bodied. What I expected.

D - This wasn't horrible, but it was definitely a few notches below what I expected. I thought it would be a nice easy drinking brew for the concert (as I don't too much mind Bud from the bottle or can), but for whatever reason this stuff on tap was completely bland and devoid of character.

2.76/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4

It is a well known fact among critics that there are certain things that are simply "review-proof." Say what you will about the latest production of Les Miserables, or the beef at Morton's Steakhouse, or the literary merits of the latest Dan Brown thriller - the public will still flock there in droves. And so it is with Budweiser. History will little note nor long remember what we write here, but Budweiser will remain.

Serving unit: 1 16 oz can, poured into a plastic cup on a hot day at Lincoln Financial Field ($6.50. Thanks, Aramark!)

Pours a bright yellow with a fluffy, if short-lived head, and great streamers of carbonation from the bottom of the cup. Think what you will of the taste, but it's hard to argue that Budweiser doesn't look like a pretty good beer. Perhaps we are just programmed to enjoy the appearance by generations of advertising. Who's to say?

The aroma is strong and grainy, with a strong sour edge.

The flavor is distinctively Bud - grainy, thin, and distinctively sour, with little hop character or bitterness. It might be kinda good, actually, were it not for the creeping sourness that develops at the back of the mouth. A few minutes after finishing this beer, the back of your mouth will taste like last night's fraternity party. The only cure is brush your teeth or have another Bud.

The mouthfeel is nearly non-existent. You know you have liquid in your mouth and that is all there is to it.

So, is this beer undrinkable? Perish the thought. It is highly drinkable, despite its many and varied flaws. It goes down easy. It tastes mostly OK as long as you don't quit drinking. And on a brutally hot Philadelphia day in the upper reaches of the stadium, it is damned refreshing. Think I need another.

1.85/5  rDev -21.3%

A standard American beer, better than most of the others around but too expensive for what you get. It's what I drink when I'm golfing or at my old man's house but that's about It, hey I'm a Strohs man. Pale yellow pour, faint adjunct-malt aroma, thin and watery, faint cheap flavor.

2.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Nothing special, but overall refreshing and easy. Pale golden yellow color, perfectly clear, with small and quickly-vanishing head, and very little lacing. Very weak aroma. Taste is boring, but not at all bad. Refreshing, in fact; it's no wonder it's perfect for football and Cardinals games, when you just want something to sip on and get a little buzz. Very clean an over-processed, of course, but not bad. Decent mouthfeel; light, with average or slightly-more-than-average carbonation. Drinkable. Decent.

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. can. This 'Great American Lager' pours a light straw yellow with a fleeting half inch head. Lacing is short but present.

Nothing much to offer in the smell department, a bit of lager yeast and a hint of rice, and I'm realizing how much I like rice more than corn at this point!

Taste is what it is. Somewhat enveloping on the tongue yet perhaps a bit too much carbonation. So often consumed directly from the can or bottle, I'm glad I poured this one into a glass to give it its fair due.

I rate this beer 3.0 across the board because I use it as, and think it is, a reference point for Macro Lagers worldwide...

not the king of beers. this is a disgusting beer. it amazes me how many people love this beer. i think it is awful. i guess it is better than king cobra or steel reserve but not by much. this beer is not worth my money. i would not drink it if it was free. i guess the only thing this beer is good for is the economy since it is american made and american owned. anheiser busch is by far my least favorite brewery, they have yet to impress me with anything

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

Earlier I wrote a review for Genesee Cream Ale based upon my Father-in-law pulling a can out of his refrigerator for me. Later the next can that was handed to me was a Bud.

Time to take some notes and get an official review in. My wife laughed out loud when I tried to smell the beer for any specific aromas. "For God's Sake, it's a Bud, drink it!"

I thought that was pretty funny. I did manage to take some notes anyway.

The beer formed a small finger thick wispy white head that vanished almost as quickly as it formed. The beer was as light gold (straw color) as we always see and crystal clear. There was only a small amount of visible carbonation.

There was only the slightest aroma and it was mostly sweet in smell. Perhaps a touch of grass/hay, but not much.

Taste was also sweet in nature and a bit grainy. But pretty darn refreshing and fresh. The beer finished with a pretty clean taste and not much of a hop finish at all.

There was a good amount of tingle on your tongue from the carbonation and that seemed to bring the flavor more to life. Mouth feel was extremely light and obviously this was drinkable in the sense that water is.

The premier "lawnmower" beer?

Funny, I didn't mind drinking it and it wasn't too bad for what its supposed to be.

Having said that, I doubt I'll pick up any the next time I head to the store.

3.16/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a crystal-clear yellowish straw color with light head that quickly dissipates, leaving some lace.

S: Corn, pale maltiness. Clean, but with a very slight mild hop kick at the end.

T: Slightly sweet but well balanced grain water, like I said well balanced bitterness with the very refreshing pale malt sweetness, that leaves me quenching for more.

M: Perfect carbonation, well balanced, I could easily drink a 12-pack.'

D: Very high. Highly quaffable.

3.62/5  rDev +54%

pale yellow, almost colorless, light big fluffy head

light graininess, the nose is dominated by a combo of really light malts and a bit of metalic alcohol

light malts, kind of makes me think of ritz crackers, just a bit of metalic alcohol rolls into just a hint of bittering hops. Actually a nice blend of flavors

really light in body, very fizzy but the evervesence both delivers the light flavor and makes it even more refreshing

this beer is drinkable enough to be the best selling in the world, it's not my style I can not fault this beer for much style wise. I would like to see more hops, I would have liked to see a slightly more pronounced, sweeter malt flavor. That said I can't fault much about this beer.

2.29/5  rDev -2.6%

As far as I can remember this is actually the first time I have ever had this beer.

Beautiful golden colour and a nice white head. Leaves no lacing.

Smell is not that pleasant, rice and malts. I actually expected it to be more bland.

Taste is very mild though. Some bitterness in the finish, not much else to say here.

Same thing goes for the mouthfeel, I feel that it really would have been helped with more carbonation.

Of course it is drinkable. But I don't see a reason have more than one of these. Better than expected though.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fourth of July - Why not go with the "Great American Lager"?

Pours a pale straw/yellow color with a white two-finger foamy head that dissipates slowly leaving no lace. Exceptionally clear and clean looking.

The smell is of grain with a slight funky corn-like sweetness that is not terribly unpleasant. The taste is about as simple as you can get. There is a little tartness and a slight hint of malty sweetness.

The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and refreshing. Drinkability depends on the situation. Budweiser is definitely the best at what it's trying to accomplish.

4.14/5  rDev +76.2%

So, I've had many many microbrews, my all-time favorite being Lancaster Brewery (hey, it's my hometown). So here I am, 39 years old, and I couldn't remember the last time I actually drank just a regular Budweiser. So I thought, seriously, could it be that bad? I mean, it's mass-produced, they spend quite a bit on advertising - but everyone, I mean EVERYONE, seems to hate it? So I bought a case. $17 dollars, no biggie. And guess what? It tastes good. Nothing special, no crazy hops taste. Just good old beer. Clean, refreshing - very drinkable for any time of the year. Will I be buying it all the time? Probably not. I do prefer to stick to local PA brewers (Straub's, Yuengling, Stoudt's, etc.) but I do think Bud has a bad rap. A fine beer for any occasion.

2.2/5  rDev -6.4%

For the style, this beer is not complete garbage...It serves society a different purpose than craft beer does: it is cheaply made and cheaply priced. As a college student I can admit to purchasing Bud diesel just because of its price. Remember it is made for mass production

2.85/5  rDev +21.3%

Drank directly from the can on a fishing trip in SD.

A: Pale yellow as far as I can tell. Deduction for bragging about being made with rice on the can's label.

S: Grainy with smidge of hops aroma.

T: Smooth and easy to drink, especially slightly warmer than usual serving temp -- the hops are more keenly present and welcome to even out the sweet graininess.

M: Reasonably clean and carbonation is less than expected. Minimal aftertaste of grain and hint of noble hops.

D: Easy to drink and seemed to help keep the fish coming into the boat regardless of the time of consumption.

2.78/5  rDev +18.3%

I was given one of these in a can by my boss after a hard days work. I was hot, and it was refreshing, to say the least! Well, here goes the review!

A: Crystal clear yellow gold. I did not pour it due to a lack of glassware, but could see it in the can outside in the bright sunlight

S: Smelled like a little bit of malt, and lots of rice. Not bad, about what i expected

T: Tasted like roasted malt (a little darker taste than I am used to), a little bit of hops and rice on the finish. It was nice and clean and crisp, as it should be

M: Thin, but still very nice on the palate. Light and crisp as the style is

D: I could drink several of these on a hot day like this

Awww, the "Great American Lager" once again satisfies me. It is what it is, a pale, rather tasty staple of American beer drinking. Not a regular choice for me, but an easy one if nothing else better is available

Just like it is, Budweiser is the archtype American lager. Either way, this stuff is pretty much good for barbeques and gettogethers with friends. Other than that, it's completely overrated

Appearance was very bland and yellow with almost no head.

Smell was very high in rice. It could have been rice pudding if frozen on ice with chocolate on the top.

Taste was just liked it smelled: high in rice and a very low bitterness. Aside from the rice taste, it didn't have a strong finishing taste, as it quickly dissipated and felt incomplete.

Mouthfeel was thick, but nothing to savor.

Drinkability as mentioned above is good for a cookout, by the pool, or drinking with your buds. Otherwise, this stuff is a bit pricey for such an average brew.

2.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Why do I even review this beer, everyone has had it, even if they don't enjoy NASCAR. And why was I drinking it? It was Bud or Bud Light, I went for some more flavor.

The appearance is a nice golden yellow, with a slight head and plenty of bubbles.

Smell: like any cheap American lager.

The taste however is very carbonated and yeasty. Though it goes down smooth it is too watery compared to so many other great beers out there.

But if you want cheap beer that is everywhere, buy away. Goes great with any NASCAR race, bonfire, or all day fishing trip.

3.8/5  rDev +61.7%

From the bottle, so no clarity notes,although I saw many a Bud in a glass in the stands at the stadium in the 90+ heat yesterday. Appears a golden crystal clear yellow with a nice head of white that melts almost immediately. Constant stream of bubbles from the bottom, however.

I don't notice the green apple aroma most people talk about. I smell barely a hint of sweet malt and some graininess like corn but a bit lighter (the rice, perhaps) and a nice, albeit faint, hop tail.

Taste was clean and refreshing. Crisp mouthfeel that went down very smooth with just a faint hop finish and a touch of alcohol at the end. Nothing spectacular unless you count that it was hotter than h&^% in the sun and this aluminum bottle had been served to me at 32 degrees. Totally hit the spot and worked for me. In that instance it was the 'perfect beer'. Normally an ale drinker, anything else I would normally drink would have been too 'heavy'...even the lighter ales would have finished a bit cloying in that heat.

Time to revisit Bud Lite, I suppose....the heat of summer calls for thirst quenching even more than big bold flavors and kick-ass alcohol.

If I have a choice of macro, I will usually go for a Bud.

A- Nice design on the can. Intricate and interesting.

S- Smells like rice and corn with a faint hint of alcohol

T- Tastes like it smells

M- Good carbonation level carries this light bodied brew

D- Drinks good when cold

2.75/5  rDev +17%

I Wanted after many years to give this a try before it gets bought out, Bought a case of cans. It poured a very pale yellow with a fairly big head.It had a very weak smell. It is alright but not anything to really say wow or anything just a plain beer and I am surprised it is 5% Abv because it seems very weak. It really does nothing for the mouth clean but not much else. It is very drinkable just drank 3 cans it goes down ok. And The one thing I do like is it is an American Beer and I hope it stays that way!
But not something to really say what a great Product!

1.95/5  rDev -17%

I agree with gonzo 46 and 2. You're gettin whatcha pay for here. It's not the worst. Wet's my whistle. No bad flavors. Removed all that's offensive. Like the McDonalds of the beer world. A little bit of head. No lace. Ultra mild. Borrr - rinnnggg.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch