Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap in a pilsner glass.

A = Light yellow, big frothy head, lots of lacing.

S = Strong smell of water coupled with a light sweetness of rice or corn syrup. Okay, that's kind of a joke, but the truth is there was not much smell and what there was was just sort of a light sweetness, no real recognizable hops or malt smells.

T = Inoffensive is probably how I would describe this. It doesn't taste like much, its basically like beer flavored water with just a hint of sweetener added. Not really bad, but there are so many other beers to choose from, why drink it?

M = Light bodied, decent carbonation, no real coating of the mouth, no real aftertaste.

D = I would not seek this out, but I would drink it if it were the only beer on offer, mostly because I like it better than most non-beer drinks, not because it is good beer. Like I said, it is pretty inoffensive and bland.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

In a typical 12oz can offered to me at a party, drank this grainy sweet brew unwillingly, but, since its hard for me to turn down a free brew, did my best to enjoy it... Appearance and smell are equally poor... very corny and malty with not much flavor... somewhat bitter-sweet with a unsatisfying mouthfeel lead to a drinkability that is border-line awful... wouldn't want to down more than one of these in a single setting... since its such a popular brew in the USA, its hard to avoid, but I'd never run out to buy a sixer... Not recommended...

2.3/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer was a very light yellow with a small white head that resembled soap bubbles...very clean and pristine looking for sure.
Smell was a bit of a sourness..almost skunky with no real beer characteristics that i like noticeable.
Taste was week, of a graint, skunky nature with absolutely no mouthfeel of finish.
I guess this beer is very typical for the style...one i care to not indulge in again.

3.4/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale colored beer with average macro lager aroma.I know it's far from the best tasting beer but it is just what it was made for,a refreshing beer for hot days or when you are with your buddies watching a football game.It's easily the freshest beer on the market and most likely the most popular.I will drink Bud until the day I die and recommend this beer.Just watch out for those nasty Bud headaches!!

2.38/5  rDev +1.3%

My roomate gave me a 40oz the other night of this and I wasn't about to not drink it so last night I dabbled into the darkside. The original smell of rotten skunk hit my nose as soon as I opened the twist off.

It pours a golden color, that is attractive if you like blonde beers. Also the head on the beer is monsterous, but lacks lacing.

This is more of a refreshing beer for the summer months, but thats about all I can say about this.

3.1/5  rDev +31.9%

Sampled on 12-11-07
Born on 11-15-07

Pours a super-pale yellow, with a foamy white head and absolutely huge lacing.

Smell is corny and adjuncty, with maybe a hint of hops.

Taste is very clean and crisp, just hint of beer. Unlike other macros, the taste is balanced by something I could only call hops, and is not intensely sweet.

Mouthfeel is dead on for the style, super fizzy and carbonated.

Drinkability is very good, this is a poundable beer, no problem.

Overall, probably my favorite macro (not considering price). Almost well balanced, it shows at least some thought by the brewer.

3.48/5  rDev +48.1%

I used to call this a Diesel, more of a drinking with buddies clean finish beer then a beer you would enter into a taste test. Calories of a dark lager but yellow in color. Not my first choice but very good draft. Kinda sneaks up on you alcohol wise 5.0 abv very filling. I would take this over a Miller Genuine Draft anyday of the week.

3.15/5  rDev +34%

Pours...well..light yellow...goldenish...frothy white bubbles for days!

Smells like cereal...

Easy going...smooth...crisp...a little bit of bite but not much...

This is ain't a Bantam rooster...but sure ain't no Rhode Island Red Rooster either!...Coarse...

Goes good with bbq and tailgates...shop for this stuff like you do milk...get the freshest carton of bottles even if you have to reach way far back into the cooler...One appreciates the born on date...but one seriously wonders why they used rice to brew an American icon?...Ah well maybe that adds to the crispness...and the plainess...This is not a bad beer and I can remember when I thought this beer was heavy...it's been so long since I had it and so many delicous craft beers since that I thought for a second I picked up Bud Light instead...Of course I knew I hadn't...that beautiful label...it's quite possibly one of the most effluent labels ever!...Buddy is from Bavaria and he chides me on my eating of "white bread" and drinking of this beer...yet I swear I've seen a red carton in his fridge a time or two...didn't say anything..."When in Rome..."

A - Poured a very light straw color with a thin white head kinda looks like pee

S - Not much of anything some grains

T - Yet again not much of anything finishes with some slight hops

M - Very watery high carbonation

D - I'm not impressed with this beer at all theres really no good qualities to this beer at all

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Michael Jackson wrote in his Pocket Guide to Beer that some bland beers have as little as 12 IBU’s. Budweiser weighs in with a whopping 8 bitterness units. No wonder people are complaining that they can’t taste their beer. But, blandness is what millions of beer purchasers want so A-B brews it markets it and sells a hell of a lot of it. Given the blandness of this brew, it is not really possible to review it on the usual aspects of appearance (looks like urine in a glass), smell (similar to water), taste (see smell), mouth feel (see smell and taste, oh, wait, it has carbonation) and drinkability.

Well, there’ the redeeming value of Budweiser, it IS drinkable. After 5 or 6 of them I imagine that I taste things that aren’t there. I swear that after 5 Buds some little elf begins to add honey to the brew. Taste this for yourself. First drink two or three of whatever you want then drink a Bud without thinking about it and then drink one while looking for the honey smell and flavor. I swear it’s there, really it is!

Any way, what Budweiser is good for is getting you drunk and maintaining a pleasant buzz. It has just the right alcohol content to drink it all night long. I don’t recommend drinking it while you are alone because then you think too much about it. But drink it in a bar. It’s cheap. During happy hour bars are almost giving it away. You can drink Bud all night without having to miss a mortgage payment.

2.65/5  rDev +12.8%

Despite the utter inclination to trash this macrobrew, that would be unfair to a moderately decent, if unremarkable, beverage. Thin white head over a pale amber body. The least impressive part about it is the lack of nose to it--barely a whiff of malt and rice. But the taste isn't bad--again, nothing spectacular, but a smooth, clean taste. On the whole, worth having if it's warm and nothing else is available, a decent fall-back beverage in a genuine pinch. However, it's nothing I'd go out of my way for.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

appearance - Light straw golden colorm that had some head, but then dissapated.

smell - Not much here, some light hops, and rice.

taste - Mmmm not much of anything here, lack of taste, I can taste some grain and rice here.

mouthfeel - Thin, with some bubbles.

drinkability - Why make beer in cans? Never understood that. Anyhow, was the only thing available yesterday when I went out.
Was thinking about having some water LOL. Didn't enjoy this, glad I didn't grow up on this stuff, i actually started drinking beer like 6 years ago, and started on Sam Adams.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

ABV 4.9%, brewed 17.09.07
Opened with a sharp phht, poured a pale yellow gold, with a frothy white head and lots of bubbles. At least it looks good.
Thin aroma....slight sulfur & metal. Gets skunky in the glass fairly quickly.
Slight green apple flavour. Not much else, except a nod to rice. Hops are distant .
Thin, watery body, disappears in a flash.
Probably one of the most innocuous beers I've tried. It doesn't taste bad, but doesn't taste of anything much at all.
Not the worst beer ever made... there's an extract-based mob in Sydney that produce that.... but it's not one of the best.
Drink it instead of water.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

Look, this isn't the worst beer ever made. It just seems that way because it's a BILLION-dollar company who spends a lot of the $ on ads. And yeah, had I gone over to Germany for the 2006 World Cup only to see that Bud was available at the games, I would've been pissed. In fact, my real regret is that people outside of America probably associate Americans w/ Bud after Coke and McDonald's. As for the actual beer, it's not bad to have one or two during a football game, although that aftertaste that drys out my mouth is unwelcome. I find the 5% abv hard to believe, because I've had pitchers of this with buddies and not gotten a buzz. If for some reason you've never had Bud, don't bother.

1.38/5  rDev -41.3%

This is everything that is wrong with the vast majority of American beers...I know we are not supposed to slag a beer unjustly,but I have nothing good to say about Bud.Everytime I have ever drank it,a massive hangover has been the result...along with the trots.Rice does not belong in beer...Sake sure,but beer?No.

3.4/5  rDev +44.7%

Keepin it real. Drinking from the can.

A - Pale. With very smalll head and artificial carbonation.

S - Very faint but kind of funky. I don't think you're supposed to smell this type of beer.

T&M - Very sweet, very smooth and lots of carbonation. Some type of grainy taste in the finish that I must admit I have developed a fondness for over the years. I know there are hops in there but its vey faint. No real bitterness.

D - Insanely high.

Best of the American Light "Lagers". This thing is smooth and sweet. Goes best with about 9 more of the same and some peanuts. When you can't afford Duvel this is adequate filler.

3.33/5  rDev +41.7%

Appearance: Very pale yellow. Voluminous head that dissipated quickly. Minimal carbonation, clear as glass.

Smell: Very faint malt and hops, rice.

Taste: Consistently inoffensive. Good representation of what it is.

Mouthfeel: An almost artificial smoothness. Crisp.

Drinkability: A consistent beer. Not bad.

2.63/5  rDev +11.9%

I sampled a 12 ounce capped bottle in a frosted pint glass.

A: It poured a bleached straw yellow that was nearly clear and capped with bone white bubbles that vanished so quickly that I hardly got a chance to know them. There was lacing. It's a typical Macro Lager, as it should be given that it defines the style.

S: I had a hard time getting an aroma to rise behond the lip of the glass. I may be dreaming but I believe I picked up a tad of malt but its possible I was smelling my buddies beer.

T: For a beer that proudly advertises a "Born on Date" that was less than six weeks prior to touch my lips it did produce a refreshing cool liquid that goes well with spicy and thick foods.

M: Thin and light body with little front and a very clean finish.

D: I could drink in a session about as much of this brew as I could during a similar session of drinking water. Best on a hot sweaty day and served ice cold.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

I have had a few of these in my day. Appearance is typical BMC. Smell is of hops and barley but very weak. Taste is watered down and bitter in the wrong way. Mouthfeel is over carbonation and no maltiness. Very drinkable beer on an extremely hot day outside, otherwise not too much want for this one. I always seem to get a head ache from this one...

2.42/5  rDev +3%

I got a 24 ounce can for $1.49. Poured half of it into a pint glass. It's pretty ugly. See-through urine-colored beer. Quickly dissipating soapy white head. I smell hay, dirt, and metal. Perhaps a hint of rice and/or hops. But it's not bitter. And it's not horrible. It's just not very good. It tastes like any mass-brewed American beer. Mediocre at best. Kind of watery but easy to drink. I would be embarassed to have a German over at my house and serve him this. I think I'd buy some Samuel Adams Boston Lager should that situation arise.

2.6/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Clear gold, decent head that lasts only a little bit.

S: Typical American Macro Lager smell.

T: It has flavor. It is refreshing. Not bad at all.

M: Leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

D: I honestly can't drink a ton of this and not feel sick the next day. But, it is easy to suck them down.

This is the most solid beer of your Macros considering price, availability. Great on a summer day on the beach or working.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The only thing I like about the appearance -- and I'm not afraid to admit it -- is the bottle. I like the Budweiser logo. It is a classic American logo. Now Bud Light -- they butcher that logo -- but the Bud Heavy logo remains classic.

The beer itself pours a very unimpressive clear yellow color. The white head fizzes away extremely quickly.

Nothing much to smell here. Faint macro beeriness. At least it isn't skunky.

Tastes like you'd expect. It is the "king" of American macro beers for a reason, though. I think it tastes better than the other two giant breweries' offerings. So I give it higher marks than most people, because I think it does an OK job of doing what it sets out to do.

Easy to drink, once you get used to the bland taste. Not that enjoyable, but in a pinch, at a ball game where there is no decent micro brews available, this is what I grab.

3.75/5  rDev +59.6%

Bud is my favorite of the macro beers. Light malt and hop bitterness but is definitely very easy to drink and gets my nod when at a bar that basically only has A-B or at a Cards game unless I am in the Casino Queen Party Porch area where the selection is a couple of micro beers better.

1.8/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

i never did expect anything great from this mass produced beer. it isn't at all a terrible beverage but when reviewing a beer compared to some of the better micros it makes bud seem very poor. the pour is a weak yellow with an offwhite head. the mouthfeel and taste are not impressive at all, kind of sour in my opinion. it does however have a decent drinkability though. overall not so good.

1.43/5  rDev -39.1%

I had this beer during a tour of the NH brewery.

It was served on tap in a 4oz sample glass.

The appearance of the beer was not very appetizing. It looked incredibly pale (even for a lager). It had almost a white grape juice hue to it.

The smell was very off. I know that some lagers have some sulfur smells but this really had a strong odor to it. At one point the guide wanted to show me the difference between the good beer and the damage beer and for the life of me I couldn't tell! Both wreaked.

The taste was lacking in many areas. Little hops, little malt sweetness, very watery. The mouthfeel was incredibly thin.

I only tend to use Bud for beer butt chicken and thats it. I would rather drink water than this.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch