Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,292 | Reviews: 1,607
2.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Straw, minimal head.

Smells like rice and barley... hmmm just like the bottle says.

Tastes the same with the ever-slightest touch of hops. Mostly barley flavor here.

Crisp and pretty refreshing.

Goes down very easy.

It is what it is. An average beer, always available, and at an affordable price. When I have to go macro, I go Budweiser.

2.42/5  rDev +3%

I approached this beer with an open mind. It's my father-in-laws mainstay. It's all he has in his refrigerator when I visit. It pours a pallid gold and the aroma of rice and corn smack you in the face. I know the can said there were hops in the beer but I couldn't taste or smell them (probably b/c of my penchant for HopDevil and DFH 90 min IPA. Mouthfeel was like sandpaper without any head to hold the carbonation in. It was like drinking seltzer. Drinkability, well, I couldn't finish the 12 oz can. I could only stomach 6 oz.

Best way to describe this beer, Victory Beer to reference Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four...

2.76/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz fresh can into a kitchen glass.

A- Out of the can, bud has a straw yellow color with a loose fizzy white head that bounced with the quickness. Some foam tries to stick to the glass but fails.

S- Not much of a smell except grains and a scent that resembles earthy hops but not quite, perhaps that is the beechwood aging? Some corn as well.

T- Like a light macro lager from America except this one is more drinkable. A crisp burst from the beechwood aging is what is most apparent, but some barley and tame malts are here as well.

M- Light and thin, almost like water with some apparent carbonation as well. Not a lot of flavor is within but this one is aimed more at being refreshing and succeeds there.

D- I like this out of a can better than from the tap and I can drink a few. Light on alcohol and flavors make for a simple refreshing drink year round and especially in the summer. This one beats out the other macro products simply cause I can stand to drink it at times, out of a can though.

3.88/5  rDev +65.1%

A: This beer pours a pale, yellow color with a white creamy head initially. The head quickly fades to a thin lace that does persist throughout the drink.

S: Very clean, yeasty, some corn, almost sweet-smelling.

M: Smooth, high carbonation, but not offensive like some other mass produced beers

T: Tastes good actually. Somewhat sweet with a very slight hint of hop bitterness and alcohol on the finish. Nothing objectionable.

D: Very drinkable, it is what is says it is, that being the beer that the typical American beer drinker is looking for. It won't win any competitions, but I'll be drinking more in the future.

Yeasty fresh bread smell, not a lot of taste but very clean and consistently good. Goes well with food or in quantity as refreshment.
The big thing about Budweiser is the yeast smell- the yeast is descended from the original culture first used by Adolphus Busch in 1876.
Next, the freshness and purity of Budweiser are noteworthy. I think the rice does give it a lighter appearance, brighter taste and clean finish. The beechwood chips afford more area for the yeast to rest on, and flocculation occurs more quickly in the maturation tanks.
Budweiser introduced the born on date, and they are genuinely committed to producing a quality product. Too bad they sold out to In Bev.

3.35/5  rDev +42.6%

A: Pours a very pale straw yellow with a fizzy soda pop huge pure white head. Head dies down fast but holds a decent amount with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet grain, hay, mild sweet grassy hops. Quite sweet, which I suspect covers up other flaws that are hidden behind it.

T: Malty and sweet grains is the primary flavor with a non-distinct hops bitterness in the background. I find the bitterness quite pleasant in this, but the sweetness is a bit of a turnoff. The packaging claims "perfect" balance but this is too sweet with not enough hops complexity. The balance here is that is has pluses and minuses. The one thing it has going for it is very little off-flavors, and so I call this a good adjunct lager.

M: Light, fizzy and tingly. If drank quickly not a lot of flavor just bubbles.

D: Ah, drinkability. For some reason I saw this in a commercial. While the taste is not perfect, I'll be damned if I didn't just drink a few of these things working on the review. Easy to drink, nothing very strong or flavorful here, but not exactly water either. Nowhere near among my top preferences for a session beer, but easy drinking. I have to say this of course is an adjunct lager and I have to scoff at the BA member overall score of a D+... this is not a "great American" beer but is decent enough. And for the record I am not one of those noveau BMC apologists that populate BA recently. I offer no excuses of "quality control" just an honest opinion that this beer will not kill your children.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It might not be the worlds greatest beer, but it certainly does the trick. On long hot summer days I can't think of a better way to relax than with a nice cold budweiser. It's highly drinkable and it tastes better than the other American macros. If you don't feel like spending a whole lot of money on imports this is a solid choice.

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a golden body with a large white head. Smell is very malty with strong grain and some hops. Taste is about the same but has more boldness than I expected. Mouthfeel is standard. well carbonated and as drinkable as any other beer of the style but still better tasting than most.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

this beer is not my favorite.. looks like pee its very yellow ..light head..not impressed.. smells of lil grain, rice and thats about it nothing to go wow over.. taste is average like any other beer out there on mainstream.. bnut it doese give you a nasty headache in the morning

2.57/5  rDev +9.4%

I liked the smell, smooth and some grains; in the taste are some cereals, rice and a little malt; the mouthfeel is ok, with a light to medium bitterness, very fizzy; the drinkability simply is acceptable.

I don't liked the apperance, a very clear yellow color and excesive foam.

I don't think this beer is "the king of beers"

2.46/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle. Nose is clean... kind of an anonymous nose that you can tell is beer, but can't really pick out the individual components. It just is. Taste is very light. Again, no real malt or hop character, just kind of that ubiquitous ''beer'' quality that defines Bud and other fizzy yellow lagers.

It is, at least, not overcarbonated.

For all the hate this beer gets, it isn't really that it's bad. It's more that it isn't good... really, it isn't anything much at all.

2.72/5  rDev +15.7%

My American Friends bought a case because they were homesick. BTW its here in New Zealand and isn't any different than in the states.

Appearance- There is a reason its served in a brown glass bottle. Explosive Head that rapidly fads and a pale clear yellow body.
Smell- Rice, Thin Malt Notes
Taste- Its Bud, plain and simple
Mouthfeel- Smooth, Crisp, Thin
Drinkability-Great for the style

Had it on Dollar Draft Nights back in the States. Its a standby for sporting events and for case sales.

2.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Has some flavor, not repulsive, not great. Tastes better than most of your cheap beers, harder to drink for beer pong (too much going on).

Pours a transparent yellow. Decent head present, but the bubbles are too large for it to stick around any. Smells slightly hoppy I suppose. Not much of the malts. Good carbonation.

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pale straw colored ale, lots of bubbles, very effervescence. It is clear as can be. One fingers worth of head and disappeared very quickly... and no lacing.

S: Not a lot here... maybe corn with a hint of green apple and a woody note.

T: OK, I'm catching some corn grain, a little rice and a woodyness... Very crisp, with no aftertaste to speak of... pretty under powering. But is what is expected... it is just your basic beer.

M: Very light bodied.... high in carbonation, again plain.

D: Being so light bodied and low in ABV, you could drink a ton of this stuff... It is the starter beer of all starter beers.

This is the King of Beers.... we all started here so you cannot knock this beer to badly....

2.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a pale cllear golden wit a thin white head. Smell is almost non-existent, a hint of corn. taste is very bland, a hint of malt, sour apples and corn. A touch of hop bitterness can be detected as well.. Mouthfeeli is watery, too much carbonation. Somewhat drinkable due to its very light flavor profile. I would only drink this again if given to me, i would not purchase it.

3.59/5  rDev +52.8%

2oz sample from a friends 12oz bottle poured into a small glass. Until yesterday, I had never actually had Budweiser, though I've had the rest of the family.

A - very pale yellow color with a small white head. typical appearance for the style.

S - it's weird. this is the only adjunct lager ever that had two scents that I never expected to find in the style: malt and lactic acid. I definitely smelled a hint of malt, which I haven't in Miller or Coors, but the lactic acid just seemed off. I have no idea where it came from, but this beer had a slight Berliner Weissbier tinge to it.

T - touch of sweet malt, almost toasty with a tinge of lactic acid and a citrusy hop finish. I'm not getting the apples that others have suggested, but I'll continue to look. The taste is nothing special, but one must remember to review objectively, thus, this beer has a pretty high rating from me because for its style, it's very, very good. Really, the flavor isn't at all objectionable and is honestly enjoyable.

M - very carbonated. this is like drinking seltzer water. which is on par with the style, but it's not as overcarbonated as Coors or Miller, so, it gets high points.

D - not bad for the style. it's definitely the most drinkable beer within the style.

2.45/5  rDev +4.3%

Light, golden color, bubbling with carbonation, small head but some lacing. More respectable than the Light, by a lot, but not my choice. Flavor was crisp and uniform, bitter finish. Easy to see why it is so popular, very easy to drink and refreshing when ice cold. Won't be keeping it around but I don't mind it either.

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a bright, clear yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing. Slightly sweet aroma with nothing standing out. A balanced flavor that doesn't feature any one aspect of the beer. Smooth but thin body. Very drinkable, as in goes down quickly and easily. This beer is the standard of the style, the one one you judge others against. There are versions of this style out there that are more flavorful and enjoyable, as well as versions that are much, much worse.

3.08/5  rDev +31.1%

Budweiser
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 5.00 %

Reviewed 3/3/09 @ home, bottle>imperial pint glass
A 3.5 - clear yellow straw in color, 2 finger head, better retention than expected, mediocre head retention
S 3.0 - mild in aroma, not much to talk about, a hint of skunky-ness
T 3.0 - lighter style of lager, hints of corn and light malt, better than most macro brews in my opinion
MF 2.5 high in carbonation, very thin for a NON light beer
D 3.5 - like it for an AB macro, kinda light for a regular lager though, would drink it over most macro products if it's the only option, I kind of prefer it in the can for southern memories...

3.18/5  rDev +35.3%

Pale yellow and clear as a bell with a quick fading fluffy white head. Smells faintly of corn grits and cereal grain. Tastes fairly sweet and clean with rice and corn being the standout flavors. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, finishes squeaky clean (must be the beechwood aging!) and is not entirely unpleasant. Always refreshes at the ballgame out of a plastic cup, good with a hotdog etc.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

If you must drink a mainstream cheap beer than you should drink Budweiser. It tastes the best of the "Big" beers out there that everyone has access to.

It actually tastes and look like a beer. it pours very well and carries a decent ABV of 5% for a general beer.

2.73/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow color with a fizzy white head that rapidly fades away and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is corn and not much else.

Taste is grainy with some corn syrup sweetness.

Light mouthfeel, a bit watery with a lot of carbonation. I'll only drink this if I find myself in a setting where this is the best anyone can offer me, but for what it is its alright. King of beers? Not a chance. But king of macros is pretty believable so I'll at least give it that credit rather than completely bash it.

3.43/5  rDev +46%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

As far as macros go this is my favorite of them all, my go to beer when having to drink cheap and I know I can get it most anywhere I go. Pours a light clear stale golden yellow color pretty average but not awful. Not much of an impressive aroma which I guess is expected. As far as taste goes it's crisp and refreshing, obviously not a whole lot going on but that's to be expected for what it's for. Has a somewhat thin mouthfeel but in this case I don't think it really matters. I find this beer rather refreshing and I enjoy it. Like I said earlier it's my favorite of the macros and really it isn't all that bad. Not as much flavor as many others but for appealing to the masses and trying to be a nice refreshing beer it does it's job nicely.

3.41/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: medium head, high carbonation, golden color

Smell: corn, and malt

Taste: bready, corn, and malt

Mouthfeel: very smooth with a slightly bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: For the style this is above average and I have graded to that standard. This is probably the macro I reach for at parties. It is also something you won't ever see me buy except at a sporting event..For the style, I would think B+...overall a generous C- or D+

2.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance is classic american lager,light and pale.Head was gone in a flash.Little lace trailed my pint glass as it went down.

Taste is unimpressive,lightly malty....corn.Highly carbonated.
Smells the same as it tastes.Much better when masked by cold serving temps.

This stuff is served everywhere,so i'm sure i'll have it again eventually,but not looking forward to it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch