Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,545 | Hads: 5,507
3.95/5  rDev +58.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I understand there is a lot of hate here on Beer Advocate when it comes to this beer. Beer snobs left and right will tell you that this beer is swill and piss. But I came into reviewing this beer without bias and prejudice.

Appearance - I poured a 16oz can delicately into a pilsner glass. I would say the temperature of the beer was at about 36 degrees. I noticed it had a head and then quickly dissipated. It has a high level of carbonation. I noticed it left a light lacing on the glass. The color of the beer had a straw-yellow color. I looked into the glass and it reminded me of grease bubbles from chicken broth.

Smell - Smells of corn, rice, and had a slightly boozy smell.

Taste - Has sort of a flat tangy boozy taste to it. Tasted the rice, corn, and the beer was slightly boozy - similar to the smell. Barely any hop taste.

Mouth feel - It tastes very carbonated and has a watery mouth feel but it's not a bad thing. The mouth feel of this beer makes it very easy to drink.

Overall - For what it's worth, this beer is great! It is very drinkable, cheap, and Budweiser has never let me down before. (1,118 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

On a really hot day in the summer, this is a pretty satisfying beer. If you develop a taste for it you won't have to worry about a small town bar not having a beer you like. I must admit, however, a world with only Budweiser would be pretty tedious. (249 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very pale yellow. White head that makes a brief appearance. Not much aroma. The aroma that is there is inoffensive. Slightly sweet taste with some of the barley and rice making themselves known. Easy drinking, light bodied with a semi-dry finish. Overall, a solid beer. This isn't one I buy often, but when I do I enjoy it.

12 oz can
Born on: 26 Jan 15
Served in a Pilsner glass (379 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Old standby Bud gets a bad rap in that it's a beer by the masses for the masses. Not particularly strong or of unique character it's nevertheless a great "backyard" beer after mowing the lawn or coming in from a hard day's work. No hoppiness and a pale pilsner taste that goes down easy. Serving in a frosted mug improves the experience greatly and it's really refreshing with no aftertaste. Give Bud a break. It is what it is. (432 characters)

2.52/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ah, the King of Beers. My Bud is brewed in Canada by the good folks at Labatt, and I'm not sure it is any better or any worse than most mass-produced beer you can buy. It pours with a fizzy, quickly disappearing head. It has a corn and morning breath aroma, followed by a really sweet malt profile. There is no evidence of hops whatsoever. Best served ice cold and enjoyed before, during or after some sort of sporting event. (425 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +63.5%

A: crystal clear; light gold in color; less than a 1 finger white head that receded quickly to a thin ring; very little lacing;

S: bready; grainy; a little malt/corn sweetness;

T: no hop character until the lightly bitter finish; one note - light malt/corn sweetness all the way;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: not a style I would choose for myself, but for the style, it's well made; (422 characters)

I wish there was a score higher than five.

First off listen this is american as you get, back in the day you didnt have fancy craft beers at barbecues, and pretty sure if you asked for something like that in a bar the bikers would take you out back and beat you. Listen this is a beer for the people and its a great thing. You dont buy this beer to analyze it and judge it, no you buy it to bring to your family barbecue drink with your cousins and uncles and start singing karaoke in the tent on the side of the house.

Plus how can you go wrong with there radio commercials Real American Hero's come on people. This is the most American thing you can drink so stop with the IPA's, Stouts, and whatever else and grab yourself a nice ice cold Bud. (748 characters)

This is the swill my old man used to suck back back in the 70s and 80s and got hammered on. I gotta it say it tastes okay but damn Bud.......whats up with the bloody headaches? (176 characters)

Look...who in the world of beer snobbery can give this a fair shake? Well, apparently a lot of us. I believe I will quote a well-spun review which includes the immortal words of Billy Joel "the classic microphone smells like a beer smell" comment is very astute. I loved it. Yes, it was mostly watery...but if I can quote another reviewer , or analyze, I should say. The watery nature of the brew does not get you hungover. I'm not sure exactly what that meant, but that's his experience... I for one, will not turn one down if ice-cold and offered to me...even for a couple of bucks on occasion...the Bros did well in their review. (632 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +6.8%

When I officially became a "beer geek" or what my wife calls a "beer snob" I swore I would never, ever drink another bottle or can of domestic swill. Well, now that I have been reviewing beers from all over the country, the world and from multiple micro-brewers, I've decided to be fair to the "big box" beers. And where better to start than the "king of beers", none other than Budweiser...

I have to say, giving it a fair shake, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Although its appearance is nothing to write home about, and it has the classic "microphone smells like a beer" smell, there are some redeeming qualities. The taste was a mixture of light hoppiness with sweet maltiness, with an overly carbonated feel. As surprising as the taste was I have to admit - it was mostly watery, even for a lager. Although not the worst beer I've ever had, it certainly isn't the king of beers for me. (902 characters)

No detectable flavors other than a "tin can metal" taste. Good for slamming one right after another but other than that it hasn't got much going for it. (152 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +13.3%

The king of beers. No, it's not Heady. It's Budweiser! Here goes:

L: Yellow, lots of carbonation, not much head or lacing, though.

S: Very faint barley and hops; mostly adjunct grains. Not good.

T: Not bad, but not great either. Pilsner hops followed by a grainy aftertaste. Sufficient malt and hops, but simply can't compete with other pilsners of the craft variety.

F: Crisp and smooth. Not going to dock the beer here too much.

O: OK, only have this when I'm at a bar that doesn't serve microbrews. (518 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +32.5%

Because you deserve what every individual should enjoy regularly. It's American for mass consumption of beer. Drink a six pack and sing the national anthem while taking photos of bald headed Eagles. Forget the taste forget the macro and sometimes just have some beer. This is that beer. It's delicious in the summer. (316 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

That advert. Yea...

The thing is I love a well made macro/adjunct crisp lager.
So after seeing that ad I bought a 24 oz can to see if Budweiser lives up to standards of that style (I remember thinking they don't) Trust me, I love this style when it's done right.

Sorry though, Bud. It's a very poor adjunct lager. I'd be happy for you to poke fun at craft hipsters if you can live up to the "no fuss" style you think is great.
Your beer is sweetcorn juice with zero hop taste.
PBR has a hop finish to it. So do many other decent macro lagers.

I guess I should stick to some peach pumpkin ale.
Don't Shock Top do that flavor? (made by Anheuser-Busch, bahahahaha) (666 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Brilliant straw color with a golden hue. 2 finger head lasting a minute or two. Good lacing and activity.

Bitter flavors of corn. Slightly skunky and sugary. Very faint watery taste.

Light body with excessive carbonation. Short and faint bitter finish.

Overall : Extremely bland, but still feels kinda fresh. (311 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -51.8%

Watery swill. I've had this many times, even in Europe. Consistency I'll give it, but refreshing.....no. Always gives me a headache. And even worse, it's not american owned.
But hey...if your taste buds ( no pun) prefer this, then so be it. I'd take ginger ale over this. (275 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -25.7%

I wanted to try it just to see what all the fuss is about. It's ok. It has a very watery taste compared other adjuncts. I compare it to seltzer water, which makes it pretty refreshing. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. (229 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -36.5%

This beer has consistency going for it. The mouthfeel is the best part about this beer - because when it's cold, you can practically drink it without noticing...

Problem is, you can do the same with water, and I'd rather do that. (231 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's Budweiser, the watered down beer that gave North American beer a bad name for many years. Used to drink it in college when I was dirt broke and could get it for dollar drafts, but then I discovered hard liquor and I quickly realized it's not even worth a dollar. (268 characters)

1.02/5  rDev -59%

Worst beer in the world. Horrible watered down junk. It's not even an American beer anymore. I cannot drink it ever, I refuse and I hate every and any beer that AH makes. They buy out other beers and destroy them, for example Bass beer use to be a great beer until AH bought them and started brewing it diffrent. Horrible company and an even more horrible product! Budweiser is the absolute worst beer I ever tasted! (416 characters)

2.72/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is one of those beers that cannot possibly get fair treatment on this site. I'm not necessarily against hating on AB- the number of times I HAD to have their beer at some bar because of no other choices- is enough for me to hate on this brand. That said...

Poured from a tallboy 25 ouncer into a shaker pint. A moderate to semi-aggressive pour will produce about 1.5 inches of a billowy, somewhat chunky head. The beer is a pale straw color with light carbonation.

Very apparent DMS in the aroma, but it fades as the beer progresses- as long as it doesn't get warm. A slight fruity aroma is apparent as well- something akin to tomato skins. The flavor is lightly grainy with no hop character to speak of. It's very light in flavor and on the palate. Bland, average, watery and typical- what do you want?

I have often chosen this over Bud Light, which is a ridiculous watery yet somehow nasty beer. Coors Light really does taste like water, and is actually pretty good if you're thirsty. If my choices are light beer or Bud, then this is it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but there it is. (1,111 characters)

Once your lips touch that nice cold bottle of Budweiser you will instantly look up to the skies above give Jesus a wink and a thumbs up because he has bestowed upon you the King of Beers! This heaven sent beer was made so that everyone can know what sweet mother freedom tastes like. You see old glory flying and you hear the bells of freedom singing. So kick back, enjoy and by God taste FREEDOM! (398 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +14.5%

After a couple of red labels on the rocks I like to throw back a couple buds and if you think it's weird to chase a nice scotch with a cheap American lager I suggest you try. It'll have you "turn down for what" lickity split (224 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +34.5%

good beer for what it is, not too expensive and can be found just about anywhere. The flavor is pretty mild and easy to drink and the smell reminds me of family BBQs (165 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

The color is extremely light and transparent. The aroma is not overly complicated. The taste is disappointing. Rice with a corn sweetness and a sticky consistency. The finish is soap with a mild bitterness. The carbonation is strong. (233 characters)

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch