1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

BudweiserBudweiser

awful

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,926 | Reviews: 1,411 | Show All Ratings:
changeup45

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Terrible. This is difficult to drink and has an awful aftertaste. I never understood the Budweiser appeal. There's even much better swill out there. Musty, corn, stale, malt creates a bad taste that even lingers a little. The only good thing I can say about this beer is that the commercials are funny. And that doesn't have anything to do with the actual beer but may explain some of the appeal. Ahhh, nothing like a great marketing campaign.

08-23-2008 17:27:33 | More by changeup45
yesyouam

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

[22oz bottle at 49F] Budweiser is a clear, sparkling pale golden lager with a small white head that dissipates quickly. There is a slight whiff of corn and perhaps lemon and hay. It is light bodied and reasonably smooth, albeit a bit watery. It is prickly on the tongue and the finish is a little chalky. There is not much flavor here. Anonymous light grain and a touch of lemon, maybe lemon detergent, are all that I could detect in this faint flavor. There is no bitterness to speak of. A shameful beer.
(rated Jul 11, 2008)

12-11-2008 05:16:22 | More by yesyouam
techfed87

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Pours an enormous frothy head. Color is dull yellow.

Smell is ...hard to tell. There isn't much to smell here.

First sip has a very light malt presence. Not much hops present at all.

Simply put: a very VERY bland beer without many redeeming qualities at all.

03-13-2010 03:18:49 | More by techfed87
beergod1

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Never liked Bud when I drank just to get drunk in the 80's and early 90's. Still don't understand why people buy it. ( ok...cool commercials ) Very little taste, to carbonated...even for American Domestic beers. I would rather drink....well, just about anything.

03-27-2010 12:00:48 | More by beergod1
drmystery

1.35/5  rDev -42.1%

as somebody who grew up drinking either craft beers or imports, ive always heard that this beer is gross, now i like to keep an open mind so i went out and bought a tall boy of the king of beers, budweiser!

i poured it into a glass and what i saw was pale yellow clear beer, nothing too exciting, just bland corn yellow.

i smelled it..no smell at all, it just smelled like beer. (which isnt a bad thing).

it tastes and feels like alcoholic fizzy water with maybe a hint of corn...why the hell is corn in beer?

i was amazed at the underwhelmingly blandness of this beer. i guess its only called beer because this product meets the legal definition of beer. this beer doesnt taste bad, its not offensive in anyway, its just flavorless beer based product. obviously there are millions of better beers out there, and there are worse beers; see michelob ultra. if i was at a party and they had bud id drink it. i wouldnt go out of my way to buy this though.

overall impression-meh.

04-11-2013 18:26:07 | More by drmystery
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden beer with almost no head. I won’t surprise anybody by saying that there is no aftertaste and general aroma is very weak. Pretty much the only thing I could pick-up was some sweetness. I personally don’t care about this but I got to admit that this the perfect macro beer, i.e. no taste, no head, a little bit sweet for that extra refreshing feeling – everything that people who don’t really like beer but still drink it like to see and taste.

09-23-2004 13:11:16 | More by Phyl21ca
UncleFlip

Alabama

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%

This thing somehow showed up in my fridge. Not sure how, but what the heck, let's clear it out...

Huge white foamy head tops a liquid that's just the yellow side of water, and amazingly clear.

Smell is almost non-existent. there's a hint of spice and malt here, but not enough to really register without a huge whiff.

Flavour is incredibly thin. There's a touch of stale spice up top, and just the barest hint of some dry maltiness down below- but not much to go on here.

Mouthfeel is OK. It;s thin, and there's an adquate bit of carbonation.

Drinkability is a 1. there's nothing at all here to keep me interested. There's little aroma, and almost no flavour.

Be well
-UF

05-21-2006 23:29:20 | More by UncleFlip
Kemmerlin

Colorado

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Back in college I remember this beer being the king of beers and thought it was pretty good so I had some hope it would still be good. Unfortunately I was wrong. I almost puked after my first sip.

A: Straw yellow with no head but I have seen it with decent sticky head when poured hard.

S: Smelled light and faint of cheap malts and no hops kinda reminded me of a bathroom.

T: It actually tasted like it smelled and that was of pee. And the taste after the first sip would not leave my mouth. It was also sour almost like it was skunked but I doubt it was.

M/D: Watery feel with high carbonation like a soda. Not drinkable and should not be drank if you know what is good for you. Definitely good for beer pong though.

03-19-2008 16:45:08 | More by Kemmerlin
DerBayer

Germany

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%

This really is as bad as one might think after a year on beeradvocate. Appearance is OK - straw with thin white lacing.

Smell is almost non-existent and there is an adjunct rice note going on and taste much the same.

Mouthfeel is very hmmm light and drinkability is pour away mate...

03-27-2010 22:10:07 | More by DerBayer
prosit13

1.33/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Terrible, terrible beer. Poured from a bottle into a glass with no head and absolutely no lacing. The only reason I gave this obvious detail is because 250 characters were required. Smells like a rotten piece of beef and heavy yeast. Tastes like water with a microbial yeasty finish. Disgusting beer. Not the king of anything. Seriously, bud light is better.

06-11-2011 03:18:06 | More by prosit13
cptnjck101

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Terrible. This beer is terrible. Even for a macro brew, I was not impressed. My best friend drinks this shit by the pool all Summer long and I gave it a try in a 40 oz. bottle. Tasted like piss and has it warmed, well you can only imagine. About an hour after I killed it also got the worst headache I've had in God knows how long. King of Beers my ass.

05-15-2004 22:49:23 | More by cptnjck101
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Appearance is weak, the color is barely gold, the head falls and almost dissapears. The lacing is almost non-existant.

Smell is slightly fruity and a little bitter. Fairly weak and I believe I can smell a slight amount of hops.

I can't taste anything at first it's so watered down, the weak malts are barely apparant. This has no body whatsoever and finishes cleaner than water.

Mouthfeel is like water with a tiny amount of carbonation. And it goes down smooth and undetected.

I pray to God I never drink this again.

05-29-2006 05:32:34 | More by Erdinger2003
Patrick999

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

I was at the Depeche Mode concert in Fort Lauderdale, and my beer choices were few and far between - Bud or Bud Light. Yes, you guessed it, not only did I get a Bud, I took notes.

I seriously have not had this in many, many years.

Had to drink it out of a ridiculous plastic bottle with a twist off cap, so I couldn't get a look at the appearance. No matter, I know it pretty much looks like urine. If I had been able to pour it into a glass, I'm sure it would have looked OK.

I held my nose up to the bottle. Aroma was all cereal grain and rice. While I'm not crazy about a nose full of cooked rice, it *was* pretty clean. No hop aroma to speak of, though, so I can't give even give a 3.0 for aromatics.

OK, it had been many years since I had this last, but this is not what I remember. I never liked Bud, but I remember it having at least a generic "beer taste." Also, I remember it being very dry. This is actually downright SWEET, where did all this sweetness come from? It tastes like freakin' rice pudding. Now don't get me wrong, I like rice pudding, but I don't want it in my beer. Horrible, even when compared to other macro lagers. It goes without saying that hops are nonexistent, as well as any substantive malt bill. It's all rice.

And the feel...I remember Bud being quite crisp at least, making it somewhat refreshing when cold. This was downright soft. A soft lager that tastes like sweet rice....this was even worse than what I remembered, much worse.

I couldn't finish my bottle of Bud. It wasn't refreshing at all, and quite frankly, it fails badly even within the bounds of its own style category. There are better macro adjunct lagers out there, sad as that sounds.

Bottom line, take even the most pedestrian craft lager and put it up against this - it will taste like Westy 12 by comparison. I think I even prefer Bud Light to this.

09-06-2009 18:25:13 | More by Patrick999
Threelittlefish

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Beautiful beer to look at freshly poured. It has a nice head and is copiously carbonated with a crystal clear golden color. Consumption of this beer however is ill advised. This is usually the beer first consumed by beer newbs and quickly turns them off to the thought of drinking another beer. The people usually drinking Budweiser are the peopel looking for the cheapest brew and have no interest in paying more for something palatable. If consumed ice cold and not allowed to warm it could be used in emergency situations like in the Sahara deset or Death Valley where the other option is dehydration and death. Drinking this above 50 degree temps will make you gag. This beer is best left to frat boys and their parties. Still works good at getting chicks to get naked if you are on a budget.

03-10-2010 10:02:15 | More by Threelittlefish
TheKingofWichita

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

You know it, you probably hate it (if you love real beer); Budweiser.
Pours a golden yellow color with very little head. Smells of cereal grain and booze. Tastes pretty much the same. A slight sweetness in addition to the other flavors. Mouthfeel was very thin. Drinkability is a joke.

10-02-2010 17:57:57 | More by TheKingofWichita
welldigger888

South Carolina

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

So, poured from 16oz can in to my trusted irish pub pint glass,pale straw hue with a snow white head with minamal lacing.
Almost non-existant aroma.
Very much an adjunct beer, little malt and vague hop flavors. Mostly corn and rice here for sure.
Very thin and unappealing.
Well I guess if you can stomach, very easy to drink as it lacks ALL things beer.

02-02-2011 04:58:19 | More by welldigger888
DionysusAwakened

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Let me start by saying I had this beer most recently from a can, but I have had it on tap and from bottles also. I think this beer is very overrated. I am not a lover of lagers in general and prefer heavier beers, but taking that in account is very bad for a lager. There are better American main stream beers such as Samuel Adams. Budweiser's appearance isn't bad, nor is its mouthfeel. Both of those are average, nothing out of the ordinary. A golden color and fairly smooth mouthfeel.

Three things bother me about this beer.

1. It's aroma is nauseating for me. It has a strong chemical smell. It's even worse than drinking Natural Light or KeyStone light because at least those beers don't smell like anything.

2. It's taste is horrible. It maintains the same chemical smell. It starts off tasting like nothing, but quickly before finishing the strong chemical taste comes through. This isn't a metallic taste, this is a chemical taste.

3. I believe strongly that different types of alcohol cause different reactions in people. The higher the quality the less headache or hangover someone will have. This beer, even after only two gives me a strong headache.

I wouldn't recommend this beer. I never purchase it and stay away from it, unless I am desperate to get drunk for some reason and have no other options. Some may love it's taste but if I can give my advice, there are much better beers out there for the same price.

01-12-2014 22:44:13 | More by DionysusAwakened
Hip-Hops

1.28/5  rDev -45.1%

The only time a bud is good, is when you are feeling a little cheap or short on cash. Not the best tasting American Loggers out there, but it serves its purpose if you only want to get drunk and don't care about a good drinking experience. Some times the first one could taste satisfying after a long day of work. Then it begins to taste syrupy and pissy the more you drink. And if you do have too many, lets not forget about the bud-mud the next day. Injoy! ;)

12-21-2012 22:18:03 | More by Hip-Hops
TheLongBeachBum

1.27/5  rDev -45.5%

I did it. 13 months in the States and I had my first “Bud” – from one of those little dinky Cans too. It was an experiment really. I wasn’t even going to post a Review, but I figure what the heck I needed to share the experience.

Hi, my name is TheLongBeachBum and I, er.., I.., er…, I… I, I, I, drink Bud…. (Shameful look at the ground). I’m over it now, and the group therapy is working well.

The King of Beers? And I thought they meant it was Regal – tut, Silly Me!!. I was told by a friend that it meant DON King!! - Well yeah, that makes sense now, loud, brash, opinionated, masterful selfish promoter of itself. Of course!!

I followed the very precise cellaring instructions on the Can to the letter, well picture, and served it very cold from the Fridge. I didn’t want any flavours to ruin my experience of this beer. Hey, do I look stupid ??, I know my beer !

A mellow introducti….. Hold on, what happened. As Monika Lewinsky once said (allegedly) No sooner as it touched my lips – and it was all over!!! Maybe if I let it warm up a bit, hmm… that’s better - the thin metallic rice flavours really shine through this simple beer. The beech wood process gives this beer a very “aged” feel; it could well be over a week old. You can tell that no money has been spared on the cheap ingredients. Perhaps I will let it warm up some more – yeah, now I get an Aroma - a sort of child-sick smell. Aftertaste - well I'm still trying to find the Before taste !! Wow, a true classic, I would be so proud of myself if I made this.

A very pale urine colored fluid that oh so wants to be “pure” likes it elder cousin, H2O, and it's trying hard.
Forgetful diuretic, with a goldfish-like attention span.

This Bud is NOT for me.

...and my friends at work said that I would not be impartial when I Reviewed this, Huh... questioning MY Beer Intergrity, what do they know??

10-20-2002 17:27:37 | More by TheLongBeachBum
BarrelBrother

1.27/5  rDev -45.5%

Bud is one of the most tasteless brews I have ever encountered and had the unfortunate luck of consuming. If it's free then it makes it less painful (wedding reception) to consume. Other than it's "clear" it has no redeeming qualitiies in my book. Pure crap in a can or bottle with a headache attached if you drink too much "free" at a party.

09-11-2004 05:05:21 | More by BarrelBrother
Greg529

Connecticut

1.27/5  rDev -45.5%

The first time I had this was from the can. I really regret that...
The 2nd time I had it, it was a little better out of the bottle, but still not great.

Light golden color, weak smell, and VERY weak flavor. It felt very carbonated, but because of it's weak taste, it was very drinkable (almost like water compared to other beers).

02-24-2007 16:01:18 | More by Greg529
wcudwight

1.27/5  rDev -45.5%

I was at the concession stand of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Tea or Soda 5$, water 4$, Bud or Bud Light 1$. Honestly I wanted water, but for a buck I figured I'd have a Bud.
Appearance looks like dehydrated piss. No head, no lace.
Aroma. Spoiled canned corn.
Taste like cooked rice, canned cream corn, and some sugar.
Thin and watery in the mouth. In fact water has more viscosity. At least it was cold.
I wasted my dollar and will avoid in the future.

07-01-2007 03:43:56 | More by wcudwight
CampusCrew

1.27/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I actually use it for low county boils or other cooking ideas. not good for drinking

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

01-21-2009 19:01:59 | More by CampusCrew
Mick

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

This is garbage. It is a shame that it is even included in this site. Although I might believe AB is a disservice to the beer community, others may disagree and I gladly support them. With that said, Bud is horrible to look at, piss water from a urinal is more easy on the eyes, probably taste better too. Why not, if you drink Bud you can't be that far from sticking your head in a urinal. The mouthfeel is like bad warm soda. Too effervescent. This is a very bloating and gassy product. Overloads the kidneys as well. AB should burn this recipe and pour the remaining barrels down the sewer; I will raise a glass of fine brew in honor of the sewer that takes that hit.

09-11-2002 10:03:04 | More by Mick
Clockwork420

Missouri

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

I do hate to bash, but again, KING OF BEERS? Whattt!

It isnt the worst thing I ever drank. But it does get you really drunk. Its a good beer to start off your evening. Sets the buzz right up.

The appearance is golden, and kinda bubbly. Smells alot like a stronger Bud Light. Taste would be if you licked a sweaty sailor. Well its not that bad but its not pleasent. Stronger.

Mouth feel is not a great one.

Reminds me of my alcoholic deceased grandpa, in everyway.
The drinkability is okay. The first one is always the worst. Especially with Bud.

Next please... PLEASE!