Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,296 | Reviews: 1,608
2.84/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a very translucent straw color with a 2 finger white head that dissipates quickly. There is not much smell here, slight malt, but probably because of the adjuncts used (rice predominately) it doesn't have much of one. Tastes like most adjuncts, having very little. However, there is a little bit of hops, so this brings it up a little. Carbonation seems right and beer goes down smoothly without any aftertastes. Overall, very average adjunct lager. However, not the worst.

2.84/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured this from a 12 oz. can. It pours a light straw with a quickly dissapearing head. The smell is sorta corny some malts too. Not the most pleasant. The taste is sorta malty but the hops are there. Noot really tastey though, but they are there. Combined with crisp carbonation your tounge gets a little tingly. I would want this one to be a little sweeter but as it is it is still fairly drinkable and refreshing american lager.

2.84/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

this beer has an undue bad name. all their other products are garbage, from shock top to black crown, to bud light and on and on, but, this particular brew, the original, ive always preferred to its competitors, and it does have a useful part to play I think. it pours a yellow straw colored watery soda fizz mess with an average white head. the nose is a lot like the can, even when its from a bottle or on tap. an odd metallic smell, but there is some grain in here, and I can get hops if I focus on it. the flavor has a refreshing mellowness to it, and while this may be all cut up with corn and rice and whatever else, it does retain some nice malt flavors, light as they are, and the hopping is crisp. I mean, im never going to go out and buy this, but in a tiny foreign airport, a concert at some beer wasteland, or a ballpark with no better options, I actually really enjoy a Budweiser. it is also the first beer I ever legally bought in the united states when I was 21 returning from overseas, so it has some sentimental function as well. to me its the classic American working mans beer, nothing special, but far from repulsive too. say what you will about it, but it aint half as bad as a miller or coors, although black crown is unforgivable.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

There's really not much to say about Budweiser that hasn't already been said. It pours out a pale yellow color with a fleeting head. The smell and taste are very light. There is some perceptible hoping and malt but it is very faint. The light body contributes to the very thin mouthfeel although the carbonation level is good. For what it is, Bud is very good. It's nothing special for sure, but hardly as "bad" as many detractors would have you believe.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

A - Its got a nice look going for it. Bubbly golden, with a bright 2 finger white head.

S - I couldn't smell much, but the touch of sweetness wasn't offensive.

T - It tasted crisp, simple and what a run of the mill lager should be. I didn't taste anything off about it, much as I do with bud light and bud select.

M - Pretty lively, tingly, tons of carbonation. Smooth though, it goes down easy.

D - Highly drinkable, great session beer. ABV is right on the sweet spot.

The most suprising aspect of this beer is how many people I know that would never drink it. Everytime I go out, or I am around friends they opt for Bud light. They refuse to drink this because according to them, "its heavy".

I am a craft drinking homebrewer so don't get me wrong. If there are alternatives I will jump for them. I absolutely hate bud light, and stayed away from this to. I figured they were pretty much all in the same. But I was suprised to find out that it wasn't so bad!

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fourth of July - Why not go with the "Great American Lager"?

Pours a pale straw/yellow color with a white two-finger foamy head that dissipates slowly leaving no lace. Exceptionally clear and clean looking.

The smell is of grain with a slight funky corn-like sweetness that is not terribly unpleasant. The taste is about as simple as you can get. There is a little tartness and a slight hint of malty sweetness.

The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and refreshing. Drinkability depends on the situation. Budweiser is definitely the best at what it's trying to accomplish.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, nothing special going on here

Appearance: yellow straw color no head

Smell: astringent tones smells like grass. Nothing special but not offensive

Taste: Rice and...bland. Reminds me of the day of highschool drinking, good memories here

Mouthfeel: lots of carbonation still present, taste like a cheap adjunct lager

Overall: when budget is tight sad to say this is a drink of choice, nothing special but i do still enjoy drinking this brew from time to time

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

This beer is just easy to drink. If you want a beer or two to sit down with, have a nice micro brew. If you want a beer just to have at any time of the day when you are walking around or doing house work, this is the beer to have. Works especially well on a hot day when the beer is extra cold.

A malty flavor that isn't over powering. Smooth going down beer after beer. I haven't had too many beers like this where I can just drink and drink them and not get tired of it. Other macro brews do that to me, but Budweiser never fails. The price has gone up substantially in my area since I was in college. I remember when 18 packs were $10. Now an 18 pack goes for a little more than what a case did when I was in college.

This beer is not quite worth the price to me, but if it is in abundance, I will surely drink it up. The beer is quite bad on tap and when poured into a glass. I suggest drinking it straight from a cold bottle. Bud light is best from the can...the aluminum must give it flavor.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance: Very pale yellow, no green tint, just yellow. Soapy white head shows decent retention, about a couple minutes in there's a layer of lacing.

Smell: Very musty/skunky, faint yeasty, graininess, boiled eggs,

Taste: A faint alcoholic sweetness, a hit of lemon rind bitterness, then a pretty full grainy sweetness in the nose, a little funky throughout, biscuity finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, less creamy than Coors, carbonation in a glass is sparce, watery, thin.

Drinkability: Funky smell, a nice malty sweetness in the finish, bad mouthfeel, easy to drink though.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance- golden straw color, lots of bubbles, thin, white head.

Smell - Slight hint malt.

Taste - Malt with a slight taste of metal

Mouthfeel - Medium body and highly carbonated.

Drinkability - What can I say other than it is Budweiser. It's not amazing but it's not horrible. If I was at a party and this is what they had.. sure I'd drink it. Not too bad ice cold and during the hot summer months.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Aroma is very closed off, but great mouthfeel.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

The appearence is very pale, and the head is white but slightly thin.

The smell is of malt and barley. There is also a slight hop smell in the background.

The taste is crip, with a bit of a corn & rice flavor. A very light hop taste does try to poke it way into your taste buds but is slight at best.

I always look to this beer as the old standard. It is my first ecperience ever with beer and is always a beer that i will go to from time to time. Hopefully it will never change.

330ml bottled

Pours with a pale, lemony yellow body. Fuzzy white head, pretty good retention

Smell, rice comes off, some smooth malt, little off flavours suprisingly

Taste, crisp biscuity mouthfeel, smooth and slightly perfumy, some slight corn on the finish

In bottle, chilled its a drinkable macro lager tbh, not the worst of its kind. Still, no winner

The US standard of adjunct beers, boring colourless and dull

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Eh, it's ok, it's way better than the Bud Light. I just drank some this weekend, because it's a cheap alternative that was available. I'd have it again in a pinch for cheap beer and it was between that and Bud Light. Had some hop body to it, but nothing over the edge or "in your face" about it. I would classify this as a Duff beer. It's there and that's it.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

"Make way, make way for the King of beers"! I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion but I'm willing to let it slide if the beer is decent. Well I've heard a lot about "Bud", some things good, most things bad, but I'm going to put the blinders on and give it a hit and tell you exactly what I find.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a 500ml Stein.

A: Clear yellow (almost high-vis!) body with a 3cm white head (I did a bit of a hard pour), that reduced fairly quickly to a thin covering.

S: There's a strong starch aroma along with sweet grain and a note of vegetable scraps. No hops could be detected.

T: A clean and crisp grain driven lager. Quite bland, but generally inoffensive (which is more than I can say for the Aussie macro lagers). The finish is slightly dry with hardly any hop bitterness. The after-taste is a little bit sour.

M: Mid to low carbonation with a watery body.

D: I'm not quite sure why Americans hate this beer so much... they obviously haven't been to or tried Australian lagers, which have all manner of crap going on. Overall this beer is bland and inoffensive, good if your taste buds need a rest but otherwise not something I would drink on a daily basis. "King of beers"? I think not, however you could do worse... much, much worse... *cough*VB*cough*.

Food match: Not much out there that wouldn't completely overpower the taste of this beer... light fare it is then: grilled chicken, with a green salad and a light dressing (light in flavour that is).

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Clear yellow with a decent white head that falls to scattered bubbles after a few minutes. Smell is almost non-existent, a little clean water, a touch of malt or adjuncts. Taste is crisp, carbonic, and, again a bit boring. About a third of the way through, the middle to end of the taste started to wear on me. The carbonation, combined with a grassy bittering (not in a good hoppy way) started getting in the way. While not spit it out bad, it made me not want another. Mouthfeel was thin and crispy as expected. Drinkability is ok. I think I'd have to develop a taste for the "corn soda" aspect of this before I could rate that higher.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

One month old can (date on bottom of can) bought with my Philly cheese steak at Jim's steak! Hands down the best cheese steak in Philly.

On to the review:

I honestly don't think I could drink this brew in any other setting, and that being said, this pairs well with a cheese-steak (to wash the grease down).

Appearance: Can't comment because I had no cup to pour the beer out, hence I never saw it. Therefore I gave it an average score.

Smell (again through the can): grain and rice husk predominate followed by a metallicaly sterile scent. Definitely can smell adjuncts, but not that off-putting compared to other macros.

Taste: About average. Nothing stellar here. Faint malt bill, corn husk that coems through with a splash of hops (very astringent). The mouthfeel is OK, a bit overcarbonated for my taste.

Drinkability: After the Philly cheese steak, pretty darn good! My fiance got a skunked Corona and she had to sip my Bud...

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

16 oz can poured into a mug that's been in my fridge at least 6 months. Only thing that was a lager in my fridge and I was having chili for lunch.

A: Light pale straw color with a nice fluffy head a lots of zesty activity. Realy actually very nice.

S: Really not to much here, metallic and grainy, some light light euro skunk

T: Light slightly metallic and corny, but not really that off-putting. It has almost none of the flavor profiles of a local or craft style beer, but at the same time there is nothing off putting at all

M: Refreshing, goes down well with my chili

O: This beer is not anything special and yes, it's corporate interests really do hurt the craft beer and smaller producers. But the beer isn't nearly as bad as other products of AB. That being said, I would likely never go out and purchase it on my own. But, it really isn't that bad.

2.82/5  rDev +20%

Appearance: A pale yellow watery appearance, fizzy with only residual lacing.

Smell a mind sweet malty smell, but little else no hops or anything.

Taste: Simply seltzer water with a bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth nice and neutral body from the rice, probably its best attribute.

Smooth and ok tasting(what there is to taste), not the best but drinkable as common fare. Within its dubious style catagory its a lowlevel benchmark and gets an average rating overall from me.

2.82/5  rDev +20%

A light straw color, some hops and corn on the nose, but overally un-offensive. Some light malt and light hops are detected, thin bodied, obvious adjuncts, and a watery finish. Lacks a true body, but overall, drinkable when backed in a corner, the king in lower case letters.

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Crystal clear light yellow with 1 fingers width of white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles but head still dissipates down quickly. Leaves only the faintest patches of pacing.

S: Adjunct / rice like aromas, sweetness, subtle floral notes are the only hop characters I get. Simple and obviously not great, but honestly the aroma is actually pretty hood for an AAL.

T: Adjunct flavors, sweet malts, some hop spice. Starts off solid but gets worse as it warms.

M/D: Medium body, heavy carbonation, surprisingly filling which I think is at least partially due to the high carbonation. Drinkability is average.

O: AAL, they are what we thought they were. But for a horrible style, this is actually one of the best of the bunch. Not something Id choose to buy (only have this cause it was a left over of a six pack I bought for my dad), but if you have to have an AAL you could certainly choose worse.

2.82/5  rDev +20%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Anheuser Busch Budweiser

Went with a 25 oz can. Thanks for the extra ounce! Grilling up some chicken legs and needed a little beer for a marinade. I drank this ice cold.

A) There aren't many humans with adequate vision that don't know what Budweiser looks like. I wonder what Budweiser looks like??? I think I'll read a strangers description online. Well, it's pale yellow with a soapy white head. Surprisingly it doesn't look as good as those commercials.

S) The aroma is rather bland, but not offensive at all. Watery grains, the lightest touch of hops, with a little table sugar sweetness.

T) Follows the nose... I've always found Budweiser to have a bit of rice in the flavor. The ingredients are listed on the can now, and it makes perfect sense. The Beechwood aging process is an excellent combination of both Beechwood and the passage of time.

M) This is a lighter bodied beer with ample carbonation. It's crisp and easy drinking. This is best on the palate when consumed ice cold.

O) The thought of reaching into a cooler and pulling out an ice cold Budweiser on a hot summer day is fairly appealing. Not a bad lawn mower beer. There are much worse macro options out there. That's as complimentary as this is going get.

The king of beers. No, it's not Heady. It's Budweiser! Here goes:

L: Yellow, lots of carbonation, not much head or lacing, though.

S: Very faint barley and hops; mostly adjunct grains. Not good.

T: Not bad, but not great either. Pilsner hops followed by a grainy aftertaste. Sufficient malt and hops, but simply can't compete with other pilsners of the craft variety.

F: Crisp and smooth. Not going to dock the beer here too much.

O: OK, only have this when I'm at a bar that doesn't serve microbrews.

2.81/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A 300ml bottle with a born-on date of July 27th, 2013 (BB June 2014). ABV is 4.8%; brewed in the UK. Acquired from the leftovers of a recent wedding reception - free beer!

Poured into a straight pint glass. A crystal-clear pale straw colour with light carbonation. Forms a decent head of fluffy white foam that lasts for a minute or two before dissipating. A very faint aroma of light grain with weak hints of rice, cardboard and stewed leaves. Unimpressive.

Tastes of ultra-light malt with a crisp finish. Notes of subtle grain, rice, stewed leaves and faint cardboard. Slightly sweet, yet well-attenuated. A mild bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is light, dry and faintly tingly, with a thin, watery body. Little aftertaste to speak of, just a twinge of malt/rice.

I'll damn it with faint praise and describe it as 'clean-tasting'. So clean that it could almost be mistaken for water. Ultimately, while Bud may be an excellent example of an adjunct lager, it's a style I don't much care for - hence my low rating. I believe that beer should have more character and presence than this, no matter the circumstances. A classic and a marketing success, but there's no need to seek it out.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch