Microbrew Invitational

BudweiserBudweiser

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,623 | Ratings: 5,889
4.36/5  rDev +79.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-clear golden to straw color with a white head that fades fast, and leaves no lace
S-grains, rice, hops is very light, and sweet corn aroma
T-sweet corn taste, hops is light with a clean aftertaste that finishes with a slight bite
M-clean crisp, light body, good carbonation
O- this is not a craft beer, but is very important in US history. Many craft beer drinkers anti Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, but this is one of the best beers made. I guess I am not a rebel trying to be differant, like most craft beer drinkers are. If you grade a beer you must respect it. Although there are many beers with more taste and feel, there are not any with more history and tradition as Budweiser. No other beer rated here can match.

4.35/5  rDev +79%

Subtle aroma, mouthfeel and taste is great. slightly fruity aroma. finishes smoothly with little aftertaste. Very good session beer. Clear, golden color. 1 inch collar of foam in the glass. Slight bitterness is very appealing. I am not crazy about a beer that has an aftertaste that stays with me for a long time, so this beer works very well for me.

4.29/5  rDev +76.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Funny...my first review is on Bud. But I'm sick of beer snobs so I had to. For what it is Bud is truly the King of beers. It is the best American mass produced lager. Can it hold a candle to your local brews and IPA's or a Sam Adams Utopia? NO!! But its not trying to. It is a good refreshing after work beer. Im a chef and after 12 hrs on the line I want a refreshing easy drinker not a punch you in the face complex drink. I have a friend who is a beer sommelier..and he drinks Bud on the regular. If its good enough for a professional, its good enough for me. There is a time and place for everything, and at a bbq, tailgate or a few after work...Bud never fails.

4.29/5  rDev +76.5%

Yeah yeah I know pretty high marks for Bud but I love the stuff.If I had to pick a mass produced "swill" beer it would be Bud.The color is always perfectly golden yellow whether can,bottle or draft.

Not much aroma that can be defined as hops or malt-the smell reminds me of Yankee Stadium actually...hahahahaha.It has a crisp taste with just enough bite to be discernable from say Coors or Miller.Again I wouldnt call it hops or malt-probably the glycol or other chemicals they supposedly add.

An average mouthfeel but overall a drinkibility thats hard to beat.If Im not drinking homebrew or micros nothing beats a Bud for this kid.I dont care about the mass marketing and that Im paying to keep the speedboat running or the race car going or the Clydesdales happy-they make a consistantly decent product that has its rightfull place in "beerdom"

4.28/5  rDev +76.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well known beer, also had this in other country. It's a ok beer. Light and bitter and golden body with a small head. Finish with a grain and quick aftertaste

4.24/5  rDev +74.5%

Its called the king of beers for a reason, its tasty, feels great, goes down easy. Its like the perfect bonfire beer, pound some of these get nice and sloppy, and play some beer pong, then make some bad decisions. then wake up and start again.

BUT ENJOY RESPONSIBLY, I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR BAD DECISIONS.

4.2/5  rDev +72.8%

12oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very pale straw color and a white frothy head that doesn't last.

Aroma: Grainy with a very low hop aroma, almost floral with green apple.

Taste: Crisp and dry. Low hop bitterness and sweetness from more detectable malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body and highly carbonated.

Overall: A little more robust than Bud Light. Very light and refreshing beer. Fits the guidelines.

4.14/5  rDev +70.4%

So, I've had many many microbrews, my all-time favorite being Lancaster Brewery (hey, it's my hometown). So here I am, 39 years old, and I couldn't remember the last time I actually drank just a regular Budweiser. So I thought, seriously, could it be that bad? I mean, it's mass-produced, they spend quite a bit on advertising - but everyone, I mean EVERYONE, seems to hate it? So I bought a case. $17 dollars, no biggie. And guess what? It tastes good. Nothing special, no crazy hops taste. Just good old beer. Clean, refreshing - very drinkable for any time of the year. Will I be buying it all the time? Probably not. I do prefer to stick to local PA brewers (Straub's, Yuengling, Stoudt's, etc.) but I do think Bud has a bad rap. A fine beer for any occasion.

4.14/5  rDev +70.4%

Full disclosure: I work as an advertising writer for a company that has Anheuser Busch as a client. But I wasn't paid for this review. I'm doing this on my own time and with beer I paid for.

All that said, I got turned on to craft beer soon after my "get trashed on keystone light" college days. And I really enjoy West coast style beers, like Anchor Steam, Stone IPA and the incomparable Pliney the Elder.

But when I began to work with AB, I had the chance to meet with their brewmaster who is very candid about how good some of the craft beers are (and how inconsistent others are) and how some in the craft community consider Budweiser to be macro-piss.

He took me through a tasting of Budweiser fresh from the vat, and I have to say it was nothing less than a conversion experience. Look, it's an american adjunct lager. Some people just don't like this style of beer. But stand it up next to Anchor California Lager and it more than holds it's own. Next to PBR, Coors, Miller or any other "big" brewer, and it dominates.

Notes: Bottle poured down the middle of a glass with a 3" mouth. 2" collar of foam remained for most of the glass. A gentle sweetness on the tip of the toungue, a mild bitterness in the middle, and absolutely no aftertaste. The beer is designed to allow its yeast strain to stand out. And it does. It's not a vehicle for giant amounts of hops. It's just a damn fine beer.

4.1/5  rDev +68.7%

On-tap at Champions. At $2 a pint, you really can't go wrong.

A: The lager is a pale straw color, crystal clear with a steady stream of bubbles. A half a finger of white head accompanied the lager and was fast to exit.

S: The nose is malty sweet, pale grains with adjunct sweetness. The nose isn't crisp, light on hops, instead it sticks to the fruity malt notes.

T: Slam it all you like, but this really is the paragon of the adjunct lager style. The malts have a fruity underside that carries rice and corn in it. The flavor is chewy and crisp, refreshing despite its light body. Again the hops are noticeably absent but the beer's no frills package doesn't scream out for them. The adjunct sweetness lingers with each sip.

M: The mouthfeel is pale and inoffensive, fruity sweet at times. Seriously, this is not a bad lager.

D: At 5% I could drink the beer all day long. I'm not inclined to but in a pinch (or at $2 per pint), it's hard to pass up.

4.1/5  rDev +68.7%

Don't be fooled. This is a beer.

In spite of the lackluster character of this beverage, one cannot deny the proud stature of its commercial significance.

When you need a cold-ass soda water that is secretly a beer, this liquid consumable will certainly suffice.

4.1/5  rDev +68.7%

I understand there is a lot of hate here on Beer Advocate when it comes to this beer. Beer snobs left and right will tell you that this beer is swill and piss. But I came into reviewing this beer without bias and prejudice.

Appearance - I poured a 16oz can delicately into a pilsner glass. I would say the temperature of the beer was at about 36 degrees. I noticed it had a head and then quickly dissipated. It has a high level of carbonation. I noticed it left a light lacing on the glass. The color of the beer had a straw-yellow color. I looked into the glass and it reminded me of grease bubbles from chicken broth.

Smell - Smells of corn, rice, and had a slightly boozy smell.

Taste - Has sort of a flat tangy boozy taste to it. Tasted the rice, corn, and the beer was slightly boozy - similar to the smell. Barely any hop taste.

Mouth feel - It tastes very carbonated and has a watery mouth feel but it's not a bad thing. The mouth feel of this beer makes it very easy to drink.

Overall - For what it's worth, this beer is great! It is very drinkable, cheap, and Budweiser has never let me down before. It is good for any occasion.

4.09/5  rDev +68.3%

Served out of a 12oz bottle.

A clean golden color.

Smell is small, hints of fruit.

Taste is crisp and refreshing. slight malt and rice flavour

Mouthfeel is watery, but this is good if you are thirsty.

I think as americans we forget our roots.
Prohibition killed off all the small breweries that couldn't make other products to stay afloat, also 3 years before prohibition was repealed the Great Depression hit, beer had to be made cheaply. The Milwaukee breweries and Budweiser kept beer brewing alive in the USA through the great depression.
What was born was a new beer, created out of need. And although its not "great beer" its apart of our history and I appreciate it for what it is.

So to all of those people giving Bud 1's ans 2's I want to remind you, when examining beers we should keep in mind the style we are tasting. Sure Bud isn't as flavorful as a IPA or a Lambic, but its not trying to be either. Its a perfect example of its style.

I love my Franziskaner. I love my Dog Fish Head. And I love my Buweiser.
Please dont be a beer snob, be a beer lover!

4.07/5  rDev +67.5%

Pours very bright, pale with a head that recedes to a thin line around the edge of the glass, acceptable for standard american lager.

Pleasant aroma of light green apples with a cereal sweetness, both carrying through to the flavour. Sweet but with a crisp finish and manages to avoid being watery. Carbonation levels are refreshing without being too fizzy.

Ultimately a clean refreshing american lager that defines the style well, promotes itself to ready drinkability quite well without being too watery and with no other clearly discernible faults.

4.07/5  rDev +67.5%

For a macro beer that is not too pricey 5% abv for what you are buying and drinking the taste is great and goes down smooth every time.

Its probably the best macro beer. I guess Busch is pretty good and the price is better than Bud but I'd rather drink a bud right now than a busch.

I notice a lot of good beers being scored low. Just need to mention that some of them are getting low scores because reviewers aren't weighing their scores.

It's like saying everyone go buy a Ferrari and not a Chevy. Ferrari is top of the line, but take a look around everyone is driving Chevy. For what I have I think a Chevy is pretty good for the value same as Budweiser. Yet the BA on here is telling people its not worth trying. For the price and accessibility it is.

Sure I'd buy a lot more micro brews if I were living back in Colorado, now that I am living in the south I am happy to have a Budweiser, they don't have much of anything else.

4.07/5  rDev +67.5%

A: crystal clear; light gold in color; less than a 1 finger white head that receded quickly to a thin ring; very little lacing;

S: bready; grainy; a little malt/corn sweetness;

T: no hop character until the lightly bitter finish; one note - light malt/corn sweetness all the way;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: not a style I would choose for myself, but for the style, it's well made;

4.06/5  rDev +67.1%

Well. It is what it is. And just because it doesn't say Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Harpoon or some other "craft" beer name on the label, I--unlike many other that rate these beers-- will chose to rate it according to what it is: An American Pilsner Beer.

A--Brilliant clarity. I let it warm just a tad so that the carbonation had a chance to "hold"

S--faint DMS and corn. Some apple. Clear lack of aromatic hops...but that is NOT the intention of this beer

T--light. Crisp. Certainly not offensive. Not a whole lot going on in here--but why would there be? It is an impression of an American Lager. Just to be on the safe side, I cracked another. It tasted EXACTLY the same. Very consistent

M--Though minimal, the flavors meld well and the body is light. Refreshing.

D--4.5 for sure. You could rip these all day long at the beach. That is this beer's intention, and for that, I am rewarding it

4.05/5  rDev +66.7%

Budweiser is simply a good, dare I say, great beer. It doesn't cost $50 dollars a case and no one will think you're high society when you tell them you drink Bud, but it is a fantastic beer. The truth is if you truely love beer as I do, and your not just some Frasier with a pention for beer instead of wine, then you must agree this beer rules the school. If you want to get drunk, this will do the trick. No head aches (unless you posses a vagina, and even then it is a matter of chance), it goes down like ice water, and it taste great.

4.02/5  rDev +65.4%

ahh the king of beers. my favorite example of an american marco-lager. if i'm goin out drinkin for the night, this IS my choice. i took a ride on the bud lounge bus once and took a course on how budweiser products are made and chatted up one of the brewmasters giving me insight into the world of anheuser busch.

A- clear pale straw yellow with head that's almost too perfect. it settles too fast also from the the tap leaving minimal to no lacing.

S- some faint malt, fresh barley, rice, apple, even a lil beechwood, but sadly no hops.

T- not much here, but for what it is, i'd say it's above average. grass, sweet corn, and a slight fruitiness with almost no aftertaste.

MF- clean, crisp, and watery. good level of carbonation if it's poured right, otherwise you'll be burping until the sun comes up.

D- this beer is a classic, hands down. it is cost effective, it is smooth, easy to drink, refreshing, consistant, and everything it was meant to be. though craft beers and micro brews may rise above in taste and aroma, AB did exactly what it set out to do: create a beer for the masses that will retain its american popularity forever and ever and ever.

Budweiser is a solid brew. Of course it is quite favorable to rip this beer, but I won't do that. With the advent and popularity of light beer, Budweiser must stand above and beyond this. Budweiser is a smooth, highly drinkable beer. It's not necessarily the most boldly flavorful brew, but it is tasty and made with with the utmost of care. Say what you want to say, but Anheuser Busch does get high marks for quality control. Crisp, consistent, refreshing, that is Budweiser.

How can you be American and insult this golden delight???- your snobby beer taste has lead you in the direction of spoiled con·nois·seur... Do yourselves a favor and try to open up and make famous your own establishment instead of ripping on others miracle creation...

Budweiser... Does it live up to the king of beers title??? Eh... No. Very bland, but tastes smooth and clean. drinkability certainly wins over everything else with this. Very drinkable. Not much going on. Just average. Still Better than Natural ice or Bud ice, but not better than other things. Would rather have MHL or MGD.

Look...who in the world of beer snobbery can give this a fair shake? Well, apparently a lot of us. I believe I will quote a well-spun review which includes the immortal words of Billy Joel "the classic microphone smells like a beer smell" comment is very astute. I loved it. Yes, it was mostly watery...but if I can quote another reviewer , or analyze, I should say. The watery nature of the brew does not get you hungover. I'm not sure exactly what that meant, but that's his experience... I for one, will not turn one down if ice-cold and offered to me...even for a couple of bucks on occasion...the Bros did well in their review.

I don't care what anyone says...this is my trusty stand-by beer. no matter what state/region/area im in i can count on them having budweiser and they can count on me drinking it. so im sorry to everyone out there that is too good to drink "normal beer" I LOVE budweiser

Drinking these now actually. My friend loves this beer. I like it too. I like Bud light and light beers. But i like this too. Would drink it again.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch