Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,470 | Reviews: 1,714
4.68/5  rDev +99.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The King.
Refreshing.
Perfect 5% ABV.
Readily available.
Decently priced.
The King, for good reason.

I drink this all the time and love it. When I am not drinking this all the time, I am unhappy. I think it is perfect from a can, a bottle or on tap. I prefer cans due to 30 packs not coming in bottles, plus, I like to crush the empty cans after I crush the beer down my throat. Bottles are good to smash but a mess to clean up. Regarding the taste, I can't really find dramatic differences between can vs. bottle. This beer is life blood.

4.6/5  rDev +95.7%

Tastes like freedom. America at its finest

4.6/5  rDev +95.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not as bad or good as people opinion on this forum. For my taste it is a good beer for hot day or party. No foul after taste like ome Miller products.

Appearance : yellow with no head

Smell : like a beer which is not bad

Taste: taste like some water with after taste of corn or rice whic is not bad. Nothing defensive about this beer but nothing stands out.

Mouthfeel: light and watery

Overall: It is not trying to be a IPA or stout ! It is a mass produced AA Lager. It holds its own against any American Adjuncts Lager. It is the most popular beer in the country, not because it has no taste, as some contend, but because the flavors blend together seamlessly. Good word describe Budweiser seamlessly!

4.58/5  rDev +94.9%

ok, let everyone remember that this is an american light adjunct lager, and that is what i am reviewing it as.
if anyone can find a better example of the style, please, let me know.
A- pours extremely pale yellow color. bursting with carbonation. low head retention.
S- smells like, well, budweiser. corn and Co2
T- light and refreshing, this beer is perfectly balanced with absolutely no off flavors. impressive considering the color and body.
M-extremely dry and prickly on the tongue. quite refreshing.
D- you know this beer. you now how drinkable it is.

i almost never buy this beer, but when i do, i am never disappointed. it is exactly the same overtime. it would go great with just about any meal.

this beer gets far less credit than it should on BA.

4.58/5  rDev +94.9%

Pale yellow color with snow white foam. Exceptional clarity. Subtle aromatic hop aroma with clean esters and faint banana. Mouthfeel is light, crisp, and refreshing. Outstanding clean finish which easily leads to another sip. Probably the most consistent, refreshing and drinkable beer on the planet.

4.57/5  rDev +94.5%

Budweiser is a very good beer, and it is the Great American Lager. Also the price makes it that much better. It seems to be the norm for people to hate on Budweiser, but it's a very solid beer so don't listen to them. Definitely my go to beer when watching a baseball or hockey game.

4.5/5  rDev +91.5%

Honestly one of the best balanced beers this world has ever seen. The addition of the rice adjunct provides the light color and helps with the crisp flavor of this classic American beer. Speaking critically, this is a fantastic beer.

4.5/5  rDev +91.5%

This is my other full flavored as you all classify it american Adjunct lager. Reason i like it, it goes down crisp and refreshing. Me and my buddy drink these. He knows a bit about craft brews as well.

4.48/5  rDev +90.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A very tasty beer that is great for having a good time with your friends.

4.45/5  rDev +89.4%

A lot of people say to me, "Come now FootballFan15, your favorite beer is Budweiser, how can your opinion be valid?" Well, the truth is that while Budweiser is a very good lager, I Can't claim it to be my favorite or say that it doesn't have any imperfections.

Initial impressions of this beer are always positive, despite its reputation, and I think that is with good reason. When poured from its very-well designed can (or bottle...if that is your thing...) it makes an impressive fizzy display in a glass or mug and has an attractive head. Anheuser-Busch is to be commended for brewing such an attractive beer.

The taste, admittedly, is where the problem is found (if, indeed, there is a problem with Budweiser). I find the flavor of Budweiser to be a bit strong, particularly compared to its superior sister brew, Bud Light. Still, Budweiser is not a beer I would turn my nose up at ever. If anything, perhaps the flavor is TO GOOD. Once Budweiser assaults my palette with its own irresistible charm, I find that it dilutes the flavor of foods that I enjoy with Bud Light such as hot dogs, chili cheese fries, and cheddar and sour cream ruffles.

Due to its affect on your palette, I recommend reserving this beer for times when you're specifically only going to be enjoying beer (without food) or after a meal has been consumed. Bud Light may be the superior beverage to consume with food but Budweiser is a delicious treat all on its own. I enthusiastically recommend this beer to all of my friends and suggest it here too. Despite its faults, after just one sip, you'll see why Budweiser is America's premier beer.

4.44/5  rDev +88.9%

General Comments: This beer does not seem very popular among aficionados, but I must admit that I like it quite a bit. This style of beer obviously aims for a light, drinkable tone with a mild and bittersweet taste. In spite of what you might think about the macro brews (and American adjunct lagers), this beer accomplishes its purpose very well.

Appearance: I Poured from a can to a glass. The beer is golden-yellow in color with a hearty, frothy head that lingers just long enough, with a few bubbles.

Smell: The smell is weak, and not terribly impressive, but not offensive either. If I could get anything, there seemed to be a slight, malty undertone.

Taste: There is an excellent balance of malts and hops, with a slightly bitter finish (not too bitter though). I detected a hint of cream corn in the flavor. Overall, the flavor was pretty mild, but definitely present but without an aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Refreshing, but not bland either. There is a "good"/ balanced level of carbonation, and the beer does not tend to go flat too quickly.

Drinkability: Bud's drinkability is another one of its highlights. Its quite refreshing, mild, with an interesting blend of flavors that makes it refreshing on a warm day. It is an excellent choice to serve with salty snacks, or a BBQ meal.

4.42/5  rDev +88.1%

I like this heavy beer

4.39/5  rDev +86.8%

It smells of fruits like apple but tastes a lot like wheat and yeast. Great beer anytime of the year, it's extremely refreshing.

4.36/5  rDev +85.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-clear golden to straw color with a white head that fades fast, and leaves no lace
S-grains, rice, hops is very light, and sweet corn aroma
T-sweet corn taste, hops is light with a clean aftertaste that finishes with a slight bite
M-clean crisp, light body, good carbonation
O- this is not a craft beer, but is very important in US history. Many craft beer drinkers anti Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, but this is one of the best beers made. I guess I am not a rebel trying to be differant, like most craft beer drinkers are. If you grade a beer you must respect it. Although there are many beers with more taste and feel, there are not any with more history and tradition as Budweiser. No other beer rated here can match.

4.35/5  rDev +85.1%

Subtle aroma, mouthfeel and taste is great. slightly fruity aroma. finishes smoothly with little aftertaste. Very good session beer. Clear, golden color. 1 inch collar of foam in the glass. Slight bitterness is very appealing. I am not crazy about a beer that has an aftertaste that stays with me for a long time, so this beer works very well for me.

4.29/5  rDev +82.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Funny...my first review is on Bud. But I'm sick of beer snobs so I had to. For what it is Bud is truly the King of beers. It is the best American mass produced lager. Can it hold a candle to your local brews and IPA's or a Sam Adams Utopia? NO!! But its not trying to. It is a good refreshing after work beer. Im a chef and after 12 hrs on the line I want a refreshing easy drinker not a punch you in the face complex drink. I have a friend who is a beer sommelier..and he drinks Bud on the regular. If its good enough for a professional, its good enough for me. There is a time and place for everything, and at a bbq, tailgate or a few after work...Bud never fails.

4.29/5  rDev +82.6%

Yeah yeah I know pretty high marks for Bud but I love the stuff.If I had to pick a mass produced "swill" beer it would be Bud.The color is always perfectly golden yellow whether can,bottle or draft.

Not much aroma that can be defined as hops or malt-the smell reminds me of Yankee Stadium actually...hahahahaha.It has a crisp taste with just enough bite to be discernable from say Coors or Miller.Again I wouldnt call it hops or malt-probably the glycol or other chemicals they supposedly add.

An average mouthfeel but overall a drinkibility thats hard to beat.If Im not drinking homebrew or micros nothing beats a Bud for this kid.I dont care about the mass marketing and that Im paying to keep the speedboat running or the race car going or the Clydesdales happy-they make a consistantly decent product that has its rightfull place in "beerdom"

4.24/5  rDev +80.4%

Its called the king of beers for a reason, its tasty, feels great, goes down easy. Its like the perfect bonfire beer, pound some of these get nice and sloppy, and play some beer pong, then make some bad decisions. then wake up and start again.

BUT ENJOY RESPONSIBLY, I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR BAD DECISIONS.

4.2/5  rDev +78.7%

12oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very pale straw color and a white frothy head that doesn't last.

Aroma: Grainy with a very low hop aroma, almost floral with green apple.

Taste: Crisp and dry. Low hop bitterness and sweetness from more detectable malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body and highly carbonated.

Overall: A little more robust than Bud Light. Very light and refreshing beer. Fits the guidelines.

4.14/5  rDev +76.2%

So, I've had many many microbrews, my all-time favorite being Lancaster Brewery (hey, it's my hometown). So here I am, 39 years old, and I couldn't remember the last time I actually drank just a regular Budweiser. So I thought, seriously, could it be that bad? I mean, it's mass-produced, they spend quite a bit on advertising - but everyone, I mean EVERYONE, seems to hate it? So I bought a case. $17 dollars, no biggie. And guess what? It tastes good. Nothing special, no crazy hops taste. Just good old beer. Clean, refreshing - very drinkable for any time of the year. Will I be buying it all the time? Probably not. I do prefer to stick to local PA brewers (Straub's, Yuengling, Stoudt's, etc.) but I do think Bud has a bad rap. A fine beer for any occasion.

4.14/5  rDev +76.2%

Full disclosure: I work as an advertising writer for a company that has Anheuser Busch as a client. But I wasn't paid for this review. I'm doing this on my own time and with beer I paid for.

All that said, I got turned on to craft beer soon after my "get trashed on keystone light" college days. And I really enjoy West coast style beers, like Anchor Steam, Stone IPA and the incomparable Pliney the Elder.

But when I began to work with AB, I had the chance to meet with their brewmaster who is very candid about how good some of the craft beers are (and how inconsistent others are) and how some in the craft community consider Budweiser to be macro-piss.

He took me through a tasting of Budweiser fresh from the vat, and I have to say it was nothing less than a conversion experience. Look, it's an american adjunct lager. Some people just don't like this style of beer. But stand it up next to Anchor California Lager and it more than holds it's own. Next to PBR, Coors, Miller or any other "big" brewer, and it dominates.

Notes: Bottle poured down the middle of a glass with a 3" mouth. 2" collar of foam remained for most of the glass. A gentle sweetness on the tip of the toungue, a mild bitterness in the middle, and absolutely no aftertaste. The beer is designed to allow its yeast strain to stand out. And it does. It's not a vehicle for giant amounts of hops. It's just a damn fine beer.

4.1/5  rDev +74.5%

On-tap at Champions. At $2 a pint, you really can't go wrong.

A: The lager is a pale straw color, crystal clear with a steady stream of bubbles. A half a finger of white head accompanied the lager and was fast to exit.

S: The nose is malty sweet, pale grains with adjunct sweetness. The nose isn't crisp, light on hops, instead it sticks to the fruity malt notes.

T: Slam it all you like, but this really is the paragon of the adjunct lager style. The malts have a fruity underside that carries rice and corn in it. The flavor is chewy and crisp, refreshing despite its light body. Again the hops are noticeably absent but the beer's no frills package doesn't scream out for them. The adjunct sweetness lingers with each sip.

M: The mouthfeel is pale and inoffensive, fruity sweet at times. Seriously, this is not a bad lager.

D: At 5% I could drink the beer all day long. I'm not inclined to but in a pinch (or at $2 per pint), it's hard to pass up.

4.09/5  rDev +74%

Served out of a 12oz bottle.

A clean golden color.

Smell is small, hints of fruit.

Taste is crisp and refreshing. slight malt and rice flavour

Mouthfeel is watery, but this is good if you are thirsty.

I think as americans we forget our roots.
Prohibition killed off all the small breweries that couldn't make other products to stay afloat, also 3 years before prohibition was repealed the Great Depression hit, beer had to be made cheaply. The Milwaukee breweries and Budweiser kept beer brewing alive in the USA through the great depression.
What was born was a new beer, created out of need. And although its not "great beer" its apart of our history and I appreciate it for what it is.

So to all of those people giving Bud 1's ans 2's I want to remind you, when examining beers we should keep in mind the style we are tasting. Sure Bud isn't as flavorful as a IPA or a Lambic, but its not trying to be either. Its a perfect example of its style.

I love my Franziskaner. I love my Dog Fish Head. And I love my Buweiser.
Please dont be a beer snob, be a beer lover!

4.07/5  rDev +73.2%

Pours very bright, pale with a head that recedes to a thin line around the edge of the glass, acceptable for standard american lager.

Pleasant aroma of light green apples with a cereal sweetness, both carrying through to the flavour. Sweet but with a crisp finish and manages to avoid being watery. Carbonation levels are refreshing without being too fizzy.

Ultimately a clean refreshing american lager that defines the style well, promotes itself to ready drinkability quite well without being too watery and with no other clearly discernible faults.

4.07/5  rDev +73.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of few beers I drink draught or bottle, not to everyone's taste though

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch