2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

BudweiserBudweiser

awful

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,929 | Reviews: 1,411 | Show All Ratings:
rednrag

Oklahoma

3.85/5  rDev +65.2%

Budweiser is a great beer for what it is. Definetly not for beer snobs, but sometimes i think people bash it just for being so popular and because it comes from a huge corporation. So what? Sure, theres a time and place for a good pale ale,dopplebock ipa or stout,but there are times i really crave a good American macro. Open your minds,people!

11-30-2009 22:34:11 | More by rednrag
Dubblebock

3.83/5  rDev +64.4%

My buddy Jim and were hanging out in the dorm room. It was a Wednesday afternoon, middle of finals. Not much going on between tests. I didn't have another exam until Friday, which meant boredom for another day and a half until I had built up enough stress and anxiety to cram at the last possible second for my Psych final. We were alternately watching the TV and the windows, for the girl's volleyball team was walking by headed for lunch at the Quad.

Jim suddenly did a double-take and said "Look at the..."

"Hooters has Bud for a buck a bottle this afternoon, man. Let's head down there and quaff a few, " I broke in quickly.

We headed for the bar, the clear afternoon just begging for some wings and down-home American brewski. We hit the air-conditioning just in time, my car's AC having hit the skids sometime over the winter. Caught a table in the bar area and ordered a couple of bottles of Bud. Our waitress had the name "Kandy" stenciled on her name tag. She had enormous...

"Cans just don't taste as good as bottles, huh?" Jim was looking at me with rapt attention as our beer arrived, cold and sweaty.

"That's not really the case, Jimbo. It's a myth. All cans are lined these days. Cans might actually be better." Kandy undulated away.

The beer was good. Maybe it was the surroundings, maybe it was the company, I don't know. I just know that the beer was good. It poured with a straw head and coloring. Light hops collided with the malts. No aftertaste to speak of. It was just freaking delicious. Like beer-flavored water. A classic example of an American macro-lager. I tasted heaven and sat back to order some food. Kandy had undulated back to the table. I couldn't help but notice that her...

"Breasts or wings, man? They got BBQ breasts on special." Jim was ahead of me, it seemed.

"Wings, dude. Wings, " I replied, my attention turning back to the beer. I ordered another, and another. It was oh, so drinkable. Slam it all you want, it's a monster and it can't be beaten for sheer consistency.

What a beautiful day.

06-06-2004 03:34:18 | More by Dubblebock
CualityC

3.83/5  rDev +64.4%

Is there anything new to bring to this discussion? Are rhetorical questions a pour (pun definitely not intended) way of starting a review? Yes, I hope.

At one point in my life I sold the Anheuser-Busch line of products, and I remember a sales meeting where our esteemed owner/boss proudly boasted that AB brewed the finest American macro-lager...

True.

But what does that really mean? Do I have to like it or agree with it because it's the best of a style? Sure, Budweiser is almost certainly the best American Macro, but can't I disagree with the entire "tradition"?

Overall, from marketing through flavor, this beer "style" seems to b be a refusal to accept beer as an artisanal product, brewed with care for people with a discerning palate. Instead Budweiser is a nearly flavorless concoction involving malts and fermentation, that is refreshing, and absolutely boring. Shouldn't I just drink water, I don't need to be drunk that bad.

To place this in perspective, some people say that people should accept any cultural tradition and not pass judgement on it. However, I hold that it is possible to condemn reprehensible traditions no matter who purports it. Budweiser is one such tradition.

03-27-2008 04:45:34 | More by CualityC
Nixon

Washington

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

If you taste Budweiser without prejudice and with an understanding of what they're getting at you'll realize that it's actually pretty good. This, and others like it, are the first beers we tasted when we learned that beer was a pretty good product. It's refreshing and each component is balanced to compliment the others.
I'm generally a microbrew guy but recently when asked what I wanted I looked around to see if anyone was watching and whispered "Budweiser". It was on tap and obviously a fresh keg cuz when it arrived I could smell the combination of fresh bread and yeasty-brewery aromas. And I could clearly taste each component...a little bit of sweetness from the malt...a balanced note of bitterness from the hops (no hop flavor)...and I could also taste, 'feel' actually, the rice and where it fit in to fill out the body. It was refreshing. All the beer flavors were there. Each was subtle. None of them overwhelmed any other. It tasted good and quenched my thirst. I'm glad I ordered Budweiser that day. It reminded me that I just like beer...all kinds of beer.

10-01-2008 18:20:46 | More by Nixon
wildwilll445

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

My first beer and still one of my favorites. It is good at what is does which is a cheap mass produced beer. Very consistent and I can drink a good number of these and feel very refreshed. Great at backyard barbecues. Not very strong or overpowering but still has just just a hint of spice

02-23-2009 21:57:56 | More by wildwilll445
kdawg105

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

It is a true american beer with a rich yellow color and a great taste. You can really taste the hops which some would disagree but hey that is an opinion right? Anyway the smell is above average the taste is good and the mouthfeel is pretty good also. Drinkability is defintley good is a smooth beer with a nice abv%. Like I say it is a true american beer.

01-18-2010 06:43:51 | More by kdawg105
thegodfather2701

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

A-Pours a very, very pale yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipated slower than expected.

S-Somewhat musty, and very generic.

T-Tastes like a good adjunct lager. Its malty, but crisp and clean. Nothing offensive.

M-Thin and watery.

D-This is a beer you could drink mindlessly for hours.

Overall, for its style I think its hard to beat. It is much less musty and malty than others of the style which I think makes it much more enjoyable.

11-29-2010 02:08:07 | More by thegodfather2701
ch473

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

Poured from a can brewed a couple weeks ago. Transparent color with a slight white head which quickly dissipates to some lacing. Carbonation is steady. It's really a beautiful bright and golden pour, every single time.

Aroma is grainy, some corn and malt sweetness, a little warmth from the beechwood chips, and a tiny hint of hops. The rice makes it go down smooth. It's not bitter or skunky, not too sweet, nicely crisp with more complex flavors then I expected that developed after it warmed a bit in the glass.

I like the mouthfeel. It's not thick at all but very liquidity and smooth. Refreshing. This is my favorite beer to have with rich, buttery, meaty American, German and Polish food, especially with Polish sausage and perogies.

I would never turn down a Budweiser, I just wish it was a little cheaper. I love the iconic can labeling too. If I was about a $8-$10 per twelve pack I would buy it over any other lager. If a bar has it for $2 on tap, which most around here do, I'll get with a meal. It beats Pabst, Miller and Coors, and the Czech Budvar hands down. It's fresh from the tap.

Of course Budweiser is the beer that's cool to hate among people here who compare it against completely different styles of richer, darker, hoppy micro-brews beers. But I love it and I'm not afraid to admit that's it's a fine, well made and consistently refreshing brew.

01-06-2011 07:11:03 | More by ch473
BeerZack

3.79/5  rDev +62.7%

Smells slightly sweet and grainy, but pretty neutral for the most part. Taste is much on par with the nose. Slightly sweet and malty up front, but the flavor finishes fast. As soon as the carbonation swoops in, the flavor is lifted off the tongue for a very clean and mostly dry finish.

Overall, I think this classic brew succeeds in being a (mostly) flavorless, crisp and easy to drink crusher.

07-12-2013 02:49:36 | More by BeerZack
nekronos

Mexico

3.78/5  rDev +62.2%

This beer was not that bad either. You can sense the rice in it, bud it is actually good, not great, but is a new sensation in your tongue. NOt like other beers with rice aditives. Actually it made it a little more interesting than more beers from macros. The only bad thing is about the name stealling, but the label is nice.

10-20-2005 13:39:24 | More by nekronos
JayNH

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev +62.2%

A- pours a clear pale straw color with a large foamy head. Good head retention.

S- A very mild scent. Sweet and bready with a slightly fruity green apple scent. Balanced out with a bit of an earthy hop note.

T- Flavor is incredibly bland. This brew takes no chance of offending the palate. A bit of watered down bready malt and rice. A hint of earthy hoppiness lingering in the background.

M- Smooth, light bodied, carbonation level is appropriate.

D- Very good. It is what it is.... an easy drinking belly wash beer.

01-17-2009 17:32:17 | More by JayNH
Ryman777

Maine

3.78/5  rDev +62.2%

I've always enjoyed Budweiser from the time I first tried it and i'm still drinking it. I prefer it to most other beers. It's not too expensive in comparison to most other beers. I generally pick up a 12 pack a week and enjoy every one till the last drop. This one is well worth a try.

04-07-2014 01:30:16 | More by Ryman777
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

Well, I have always been a huge Budweiser fan. Hey, it's not extremely complex but it is a great thirst quenching beer and they are a very respectable company when it comes to the pride they put into their product. They are legendary and always will be and I will always take a Bud over most of the other typical beers (Coors light, Miller, Rolling Rock, etc.)

04-06-2002 16:21:04 | More by Jdiddy
CastAStone

Oh Budweiser...

So this is the King of Beers. And you know what? For a macrobrew, they're probably right. Bud changed their recipe recently, according to the Wall Street Journal, adding more hops, so I decided to try and review.

A: Pours alright, even from a can. Nice head, dissapated slowly. Better color than I remember.

S: It smells like Bud/Miller/Coors/Molson, slightly hoppy and crisp. A little stronger than Coors or Molson, and weaker than Miller. Its a good smell but fairly weak.

T/M: Bud tastes like Beer. When I think beer, I think the taste of Bud. A little hoppy, full flavored, more malted feel than than some other macros. Finishes extremely clean. This is the fullest lager flavor you can get at 50 cents a can, hands down (though for the price I prefer Labatt Blue, a malty Pilsner).

D: It's Budweiser - its engineered to get "real americans" drunk quick. It drinks well, though not as well as a crisp IPA (or for that matter a light beer...if you go for that sort of thing)

As I said, its about the best you can get for your money.

05-07-2006 04:58:38 | More by CastAStone
brewintheLou

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

Bud is my favorite of the macro beers. Light malt and hop bitterness but is definitely very easy to drink and gets my nod when at a bar that basically only has A-B or at a Cards game unless I am in the Casino Queen Party Porch area where the selection is a couple of micro beers better.

10-19-2007 20:22:28 | More by brewintheLou
baseballrock

3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

The great american industrial beer. My favorite of all the major brewing company beers. Smooth and clean tasting beer. Watery compared to a mirco, but it has more taste than in other macro. Great on a hot day, out with your freinds, or at the ball game. can't complain that it is weak or anything, its not suposed to be a micro.

01-29-2008 00:27:52 | More by baseballrock
BeerConnoisseur

Louisiana

3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

Budweiser, while it is a macro-brew, is very consistent and drinkable. While there is no complex taste, it doesn't taste horrible and on a hot summer day it'll always get the job done. If you're looking for something complex this isn't the beer for you, but if you're just looking for a simple yet enjoyable beer, crack open another ice cold Budweiser and enjoy.

12-01-2008 18:33:11 | More by BeerConnoisseur
Stinkypuss

3.75/5  rDev +60.9%

12 oz bottle, did not notice the freshness date but it was fresh.
Appears light yellow in color with a bit of foam.
Smells of a lager, plain and simple.
Flavor was not at all offensive, light body of malt and a sweet rice character. Just a slight amount of hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is impeccably smooth and crisp.
Drinkable, it is. Not a bad option at all on a warm day or at a sports game.

04-19-2009 12:31:50 | More by Stinkypuss
FenwaySquid

3.73/5  rDev +60.1%

Presentation: 24 oz can, "born on" date of April 5, 2006, poured into a conical shaped pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale bright golden yellow color, about 2 fingers of head. Carbonation was faint, maybe because I couldn't fit the whole offering into the glass. Oh well.

Aroma: Very mettalic, nothing else.

Taste: Faint hoppy flavors up front with a hint of apples (the beechwood chips, maybe?) in the middle. The finish is almost clean, but there are some hops thrown in there at the very end.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing, there is also more carbonation than the glass let on.

Overall: Before I ventured into the realm of beeradvocacy, this was my favorite. And still, when I'm stuck at a party or in a bar with only macro swill to drink, this is what I reach for. And why not? budweiser is has infinitely better flavor than its ligher (or liter) cousins. For what it is, a mass marketed beer made with the intent of broad appeal, there's still a good amount of flavor packed inside, it's still very drinkable, and I have trouble not enjoying it. On the other hand, there's nothing memorable about the beer, no flavor that sticks out and makes you say "Oh yeah, that's why I like budweiser." Also, from my pre-beeradvocacy experiences, I can say that this beer, when consumed in large quantities, will produce a monster hangover.

05-05-2006 02:42:04 | More by FenwaySquid
coasterfreak75

3.7/5  rDev +58.8%

I like many of you still enjoy a macro, I have to where I live it's hard to get specialty brews. This is probably my favorite of all the macros. Like all american macros the color leaves alot to be desired. The taste however is one of the best, great start and a clean finish. Really a great beer to enjoy on a hot summer day.

01-06-2004 01:09:38 | More by coasterfreak75
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.7/5  rDev +58.8%

For it's category, availability, and cost.. this is one of the best in it's class. Nothing can touch it on a hot summer day, and the aluminum cans can go virtually anywhere. And don't bother putting it in a glass.. it's best to drink it straight from the bottle or can. Gourmet beers have their place, but Bud should be appreciated and enjoyed for what it is.

10-24-2005 22:35:37 | More by alysmith4
BigD1972

Rhode Island

Light yellow/amber in color

Nothing special about the smell.

It is very drinkable not bad tasting (Better than Coors) typical American larger

Goes down smooth, no aftertaste. I have had many on a nice warm day and while I dont think it is the "King of Beers" it is one of my favorite Macro Brews

04-25-2006 19:39:07 | More by BigD1972
MarkNLaura1

Louisiana

A: Watery straw yellow
S: Sweet carbonated water with a hint of hoppy undertones buried way down deep in the nose.
T: Light, nearly flavorless, but strangely refreshing
M: Carbonated water
D: Easy to drink. It's about like drinking club soda.

It's probably the best of the American macro's. Kinda boring but it goes down good after mowing the lawn or while watching football. For what it is, it's probably the best there is. And at least they put it in a brown bottle.

04-06-2008 17:22:58 | More by MarkNLaura1
cottonkoozie

3.7/5  rDev +58.8%

Appearance- What you expect from a macro lager. Head dissapates quickly with some occasional lacing.

Smell- Good smell, what a lager should smell like to me. No overpowering sweet smell. No skunky odor like some lagers. Just a good balanced smell.

Taste- Pretty good, very balanced. Some bitterness, and no overpowering sweet after taste like some macros.

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel, not overly carbonated, not to heavy or watery.

Drinkability- Just average.

Good beer, good price, available almost everywhere, and always a consistent taste. Great beer for a ball game or concert, but can also go well with dinner. A good stand-by beer.

11-03-2008 04:36:26 | More by cottonkoozie
konabrewer

3.68/5  rDev +57.9%

This is the beer we grew up on....
As a brewer I find it amazingly consistant and the fact that it is brewed in several different locations across the country makes it even more impressive!!!

Appearance: Light Golden, perfectly bright. To me it looks like the most amazing summer day!!
Smell: Slight Corn, pleasant and fresh
Taste: Crisp and light. Very Slight almost non-existant malt with a light pleasant clean hop finish
Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated; just what you want from a American lager. The can even adds to the experience. The can shimmers with melted ice from my cooler with wheels
Drinkability: Must I even say how drinkable this beer is. The most drinkable as far as I am concerned.

Bud is deliberately brewed, exceptionally crafted and completely ounded by many. This one should be enjoyed without too much thought!!!

07-22-2003 14:51:32 | More by konabrewer