Budweiser - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
Reviews: 1,546 | Hads: 5,503
3.94/5  rDev +58.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Served from a can. Good carbonation and head. Bright yellow but clear color. Not much aroma. Good flavor for a lager, good mix of cereal grains and hops. Not overpowering on either. Good mouthfeel. (197 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +58.2%

Budweiser. The King of Beers.

Allow me to quote a sentence that I have read, respected, and perhaps agreed with as many times as I have enjoyed this beer. Ice cold; from a bottle.

"This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."

Although I cannot say for sure whether the "cost so much to brew" is an accurate statement, I have to agree that the Beechwood Aging does produce a taste, smoothness, and drinkability that I can not find at any other price. For this reason alone, I feel like Budweiser beer has been treated poorly by receiving a D+.

Budweiser beer is truly the king of American style adjunct lagers. It tastes the way it should taste, is priced the way it should be priced, and is absolutely one of the most consistent beers I have had in my few years as a beer drinker. (986 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +57.8%

A = bright yellow and clear with minimal head. Light carbonation.

Smell - malty and minimal smell

Taste - Very malty and smooth. Nice flavoring with no aftertaste. Full bodied and rich for an AAJ. 5% ABV is actually pretty decent for the style

Mouthfeel - a tad fizzy from the carbonation but otherwise full bodied.

Overall - The King of Beers lives up to its name. I haven't had one in 15 years so I thought it was time to sample one. Never apreciated this beer before, but now I have a new found respect. And the classic label on the bottle rocks! (553 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +57.4%

his lager should be appreciated for what it is...a clean, crisp, refreshing, brew that appeals to the masses and can be drank whenever and wherever. there are many other much better lagers and ales that appeal to those of us with discerning tastes and appreciation for REALLY good beer. but after a day of construction work in the sweltering summer heat, nothing beats an ice cold budweiser. just as during the shortest and coldest of days in winter sitting in my favorite pub, a pint of stout, porter or doppel bock is just what the doctor ordered. (549 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +57%

For what this beer is, a consistent staple in the American pilsner-style lager category, Anheuser-Busch has hit a bulls eye. Pours straw-yellow with exceptionally uniform and persistent lacing. Upon smell, a sour, almost always somewhat skunked version of hoppiness hits your nose, but once past, a great, clean scent of crisp pilsner can be found. Upon tasting, intense carbonation, moderate maltiness and mouthfeel can be noticed. Hoppiness is medium, and on the moderate sector in terms of spiciness. Finish is clean, with a moderate after-feel of malt syrup and carbonation. For a traditional American, mass produced pilsner-style brew, a cold Budweiser simply cannot be beat. Drinkability is exceptional, and is best in the spring and summer. A. (750 characters)

Good ole Bud in a can!

I drank it out da can, but I know it looks like yellow carbonated water.

I smells like (macro) beer.

I always liked the taste of Bud from a can, prefer it over a bottle full a Bud.

It's crisp, clean, refreshing, this is (macro) beer!

Highly drinkable, not filling, I can suck quite a few of these down. Classic All American (macro) Beer. (375 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +56.6%

My favorite beer, it tastes good. Smooth it doesn't have bitter taste at all but not too watery. I'm not a beer snob iv'e tried expensive beers that taste like orange peels, coffee grounds, soup, rubbing alcohol its just not for me, i want a beer that tastes like beer. ice cold in bottle is the best. Iv'e had many bad ones tho that taste old, flat and bitter, so it's kind of hit and miss depending where u buy it at. (419 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +56.6%

Served in a pint glass at 37 degrees.

Appearance: A pale straw color with a ton of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is brilliant. There was a foamy one finger head but it dropped like a rock.

Nose: There is a grainy corn aroma. There is a slight hint of green apples resin, and rice.

Taste: The beer has a cooked rice with a grain taste. There are a slight hint of the beechwood that they used to age the beer.

Overall: This beer has a very light body with a high carbonation and a very thin but not watery body. The finish is nil. This beer is good for its style but that is pushing it. (613 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +55.8%

A: This beer pours a pale, yellow color with a white creamy head initially. The head quickly fades to a thin lace that does persist throughout the drink.

S: Very clean, yeasty, some corn, almost sweet-smelling.

M: Smooth, high carbonation, but not offensive like some other mass produced beers

T: Tastes good actually. Somewhat sweet with a very slight hint of hop bitterness and alcohol on the finish. Nothing objectionable.

D: Very drinkable, it is what is says it is, that being the beer that the typical American beer drinker is looking for. It won't win any competitions, but I'll be drinking more in the future. (621 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +55.8%

I have to say, I was biased against Bud and other american adjuncts for awhile. But lately I have come full circle. I just recognize the value in these brews lately. They are refreshing, light, and inexpensive, and accompany a football game quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, I would choose any Sam Adams beer over this. But I can't hate this beer, for the price I think it's pretty darn good. (392 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +55.8%

My first beers were primarily foreign beers. That is, I never paid much attention to American ones. When I tried Budweiser, I was very impressed. I Think a lot of people on this website might be rating Bud low because they are beer snobs and know they have to because they have a reputation to uphold. (301 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +55.8%

This tastes very similar to other Budweiser brews. Color is normal for am American Lager, pale straw colored. The smell is very subtle.

As for flavour, I like the taste of this beer much better than others of its kind. There is an pleasant bread or yeast finish to it that is hard to tell whether you are tasting or smelling. But it reminds me of baking bread. There is little to no bitterness in this beer, which I like.

Mouth-feel is very light, crisp, and clean. And drinkability for me is quite high. I'm [almost] not ashamed to say that I quite like this beer. It's what I'd call a drink without any fuss. (613 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +55.8%

Had to take a taste of Budweiser now that I know what I know and taste how I taste, poured from a can into a Pint glass showed a clear yellow/golden brew with a 2 finger head that went South fast. Nothing much came through in the aroma, the mouthfeel was crisp and clean with a refreshing finish. Taste was simple as you should expect from a adjunct Lager, the fact that you can find this all over the World should hint at the respect it deserves from the standpoint of the Brewmasters who started this brand on its path. That being said beers such as Grain Belt have more flavor "sweet corn" to speak of but aren't found in almost every store in the United States, people can afford it, find it and pound it....that's what makes it The King of Beers...not the best beer by any means...neither were most Kings if you think about it...but a beer that is one of the best at being what it was brewed to be...a popular beer for the people. (935 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +54.2%

Being that Budweiser is as mainstream as a beer can get, it has its own uniqueness (the beechwood aging process, look it up). I am not a fan of Anheuser-Busch being sold to InBev, but that's another story.

Served: In a bottle, drank from the bottle.

A: I know it pours a glittery, transparent, and golden color. It leaves a minimal head.

S: I can smell the hops and a slightly malty flavor.

T: It's crisp and somewhat refreshing for a non-light beer. I can taste the hops in every sip and the rice gives the lager a unique taste. Can't seem to match it to any other lager.

M: As said before, it's crisp. Taking each sip down, I can taste the hops, but the rice makes it easier to handle.

D: It's surprisingly smoothe and light compared to other lagers. I could probably have quite a few Budweisers and not think anything of it. I wouldn't classify it as drinkable as summer beers, but it's a good fall-back if no other beers spike your interest at the bar.

By the way, I hope the label of Budweiser being a "hick beer" subsides in the near future. It's not a bad lager at all, especially since no other lager goes through the same process as this one does, to my knowledge anyway. (1,187 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +54.2%

16 oz can poured into my Budweiser promo imperial pint glass, seemed only appropriate. Date on can is 22 Jan 09.

A: Heavy carbonation produces a snow white one-finger head that falls quickly. Bubbles continue to rise and keep a very thin patchy head on top. Extremely pale yellow, and crystal clear.

S: I'm pretty sure I can actually smell the CO2 that's being expelled, underneath a corny grain aroma (even though this is brewed with rice) and a faint smell of noble hops. Pretty bland.

T: Clean graininess that isn't at all sweet or malty, with a subtle hop character. An apple-y ester and just a hint of alcohol twang in the aftertaste.

M: Somewhat overcarbonated for my tastes, but very thin and smooth.

D: Extremely high, obviously. Nothing outstanding about it, but this beer is virtually flawless.

Note that I've taken the liberty of reviewing this as an "American Adjunct Lager" rather than as an IPA, as some others seem to enjoy doing. It is a world-class example of its style. (993 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Coming from St. Louis this is the beer I've known since birth. "The King of Beers." Certainly the king of adjunct lagers. This and probably either Samuel Adams, Pabst Blue Ribbon or Lone Star are my other favorite bigger beers. But back to Bud; I love this beer. It is the most accessible beer at a fair price. It has a wonderful taste that makes up for its faint aroma. The taste is Mostly consistent of corn and grain. It's got a nice slick mouth feel that has a little creaminess to it but not a lot. I do love this beer; it's drinkable, smooth, tasty, and it's refreshing. A lot of beer geeks (snobs) slam it and think it's beneath them. But you gotta have a good go-to beer when you're not in the mood for a more experimental type beer. Maybe I'm a tad biased since I'm from St. Louis but still I highly recommend this beer to anyone if they're willing to actually try it without having a pre-conception of distaste. Enjoy friends! (936 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +53.8%

This was once my favorite beer and only beer I would drink. Now It is just a boredom beer. I prefer to drink somthing with more taste and more substance than this now. But I still love bud and will always drink it. I would be happy to recomend this beer to somone who wants just a plain beer to drink and not really into the pure enjoyment of beer tasting. It pours a golden color with a decent head. Really the taste is a hoppy taste for the macro kind. I like this beer a lot. Always will be my old faithfull in a pinch. (522 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +52.6%

From the bottle, so no clarity notes,although I saw many a Bud in a glass in the stands at the stadium in the 90+ heat yesterday. Appears a golden crystal clear yellow with a nice head of white that melts almost immediately. Constant stream of bubbles from the bottom, however.

I don't notice the green apple aroma most people talk about. I smell barely a hint of sweet malt and some graininess like corn but a bit lighter (the rice, perhaps) and a nice, albeit faint, hop tail.

Taste was clean and refreshing. Crisp mouthfeel that went down very smooth with just a faint hop finish and a touch of alcohol at the end. Nothing spectacular unless you count that it was hotter than h&^% in the sun and this aluminum bottle had been served to me at 32 degrees. Totally hit the spot and worked for me. In that instance it was the 'perfect beer'. Normally an ale drinker, anything else I would normally drink would have been too 'heavy'...even the lighter ales would have finished a bit cloying in that heat.

Time to revisit Bud Lite, I suppose....the heat of summer calls for thirst quenching even more than big bold flavors and kick-ass alcohol. (1,144 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +52.6%

Budweiser is a great beer for what it is. Definetly not for beer snobs, but sometimes i think people bash it just for being so popular and because it comes from a huge corporation. So what? Sure, theres a time and place for a good pale ale,dopplebock ipa or stout,but there are times i really crave a good American macro. Open your minds,people! (345 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +52.6%

This beer was not that bad either. You can sense the rice in it, bud it is actually good, not great, but is a new sensation in your tongue. NOt like other beers with rice aditives. Actually it made it a little more interesting than more beers from macros. The only bad thing is about the name stealling, but the label is nice. (326 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +52.6%

I can drink this beer for days. Budweiser is what it is: a mass-produced lager fit for the working man. It is certainly light, lacking any of the characteristics most beer connoiseurs ask for in a beer. But Budweiser is the everyday man's beer. It's made of rice, and the finest hops anyone can grow in their backyard, but it's still good. I've spent many a sweaty day, working in my yard, or on my truck, just waiting for the reward i would get from Budweiser. Call the beer simple, or call me simple, i love this beer. It's ultra light straw color, utterly scentless nose, and rustic grainy flavor do nothing for me but quench the thirst in my belly. I'm certainly not writing this to advertise for them, they do enough of that on their own. Simply put, it's the best worst beer out there. And to get a taste of America, crack open a cold Bud. (845 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +52.6%

A- pours a clear pale straw color with a large foamy head. Good head retention.

S- A very mild scent. Sweet and bready with a slightly fruity green apple scent. Balanced out with a bit of an earthy hop note.

T- Flavor is incredibly bland. This brew takes no chance of offending the palate. A bit of watered down bready malt and rice. A hint of earthy hoppiness lingering in the background.

M- Smooth, light bodied, carbonation level is appropriate.

D- Very good. It is what it is.... an easy drinking belly wash beer. (521 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +51.8%

Smells slightly sweet and grainy, but pretty neutral for the most part. Taste is much on par with the nose. Slightly sweet and malty up front, but the flavor finishes fast. As soon as the carbonation swoops in, the flavor is lifted off the tongue for a very clean and mostly dry finish.

Overall, I think this classic brew succeeds in being a (mostly) flavorless, crisp and easy to drink crusher. (396 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +51.8%

My buddy Jim and were hanging out in the dorm room. It was a Wednesday afternoon, middle of finals. Not much going on between tests. I didn't have another exam until Friday, which meant boredom for another day and a half until I had built up enough stress and anxiety to cram at the last possible second for my Psych final. We were alternately watching the TV and the windows, for the girl's volleyball team was walking by headed for lunch at the Quad.

Jim suddenly did a double-take and said "Look at the..."

"Hooters has Bud for a buck a bottle this afternoon, man. Let's head down there and quaff a few, " I broke in quickly.

We headed for the bar, the clear afternoon just begging for some wings and down-home American brewski. We hit the air-conditioning just in time, my car's AC having hit the skids sometime over the winter. Caught a table in the bar area and ordered a couple of bottles of Bud. Our waitress had the name "Kandy" stenciled on her name tag. She had enormous...

"Cans just don't taste as good as bottles, huh?" Jim was looking at me with rapt attention as our beer arrived, cold and sweaty.

"That's not really the case, Jimbo. It's a myth. All cans are lined these days. Cans might actually be better." Kandy undulated away.

The beer was good. Maybe it was the surroundings, maybe it was the company, I don't know. I just know that the beer was good. It poured with a straw head and coloring. Light hops collided with the malts. No aftertaste to speak of. It was just freaking delicious. Like beer-flavored water. A classic example of an American macro-lager. I tasted heaven and sat back to order some food. Kandy had undulated back to the table. I couldn't help but notice that her...

"Breasts or wings, man? They got BBQ breasts on special." Jim was ahead of me, it seemed.

"Wings, dude. Wings, " I replied, my attention turning back to the beer. I ordered another, and another. It was oh, so drinkable. Slam it all you want, it's a monster and it can't be beaten for sheer consistency.

What a beautiful day. (2,063 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +51.8%

My first beer and still one of my favorites. It is good at what is does which is a cheap mass produced beer. Very consistent and I can drink a good number of these and feel very refreshed. Great at backyard barbecues. Not very strong or overpowering but still has just just a hint of spice (289 characters)

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch