Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Reviews: 316 | Hads: 1,302
Reviews by puboflyons:
2.38/5  rDev +19.6%

From the 24 fl. oz. can marked 09322-NB43. Sampled on January 3, 2010. I saw this single can sitting in the cooler of my corner store and rolled my eyes. I knew I hadn't reviewed it so after a little hestitation, I bought it. It pours pale yellow with a thin bubbly white head and ongoing carbonation. The aroma is a bit like cereal, grass, alcohol, and a hint of hops. Thin mouthfeel. The taste is more alcohol than anything which is a bit of a turnoff for me in a beer. The aftertaste is a bit annoying. This is not a tremendous beer but it does get you buzzed.

3.07/5  rDev +54.3%

Natty with flavor? We will see.

A- Straw yellow fluid with massive carbonation that falls into a soapy top. Very small amounts of lacing stick to the glass.

S- Not much there, metallic scents followed by a corn and light malt smell.

T- The taste is ok. Just ok. Reason being the very appearent corn and grains upfront. This is then followed by a ricey flavor and ultra mild hop bitterness with metallic notes.

M-D- Mouthfeel is Naturally smooth and easy to drink. Mild carbonation feel as the alcohol level taints the tongue with little to offend the mouthfeel. Drinkablity is great for an ice beer in the U.S. I could drink this if offered as a party beer.

3.08/5  rDev +54.8%

24oz super can, one of those last minute, last gas-up purchases ($1.50 is good for getting rid of excess change) before crossing the border home, into the Great White North. Very NHL-marketing reminiscent can label.

Natty Ice pours a crystal clear, pale golden colour, with a ton of columnar thin puffy bone-white head, which settles at an even pace, leaving some decent curtain lace around the glass as it does so. It smells of corny malt, and skanky, weedy hops. The taste is also unsurprisingly corny, with a somewhat innocuously fruity malt, and minimal skunky, earthy, dead grassy hops. The carbonation is fairly average, the body on the light side, but buoyed by a sugar and booze swell, smoothness somehow extracting itself from this situation. It finishes off-dry in the good ol' cheap-ass malt likka wannabe sense, bastardized sugar and nothing much else.

Another instance of form over substance - cheap, plentiful, and not all that offensive - if I didn't know any better, I'd be drinking this like water, which I'm sure actually happens all the time. Really, this is pretty innocuous, and not even that saccharine, so much so that I don't even rue the pocket change expended. It is what it is, and for that, I cannot truly find fault.

A crystal clear straw-gold body reveals hundreds of fast-rising standard-sized bubbles racing to support a dwindling head of creamy white foam. It does maintain a thin surface covering, however, and leaves some very slight lace momentarily following each sip. The nose is clean with a light touch of apple. The body is medium/light and it's nicely crisp on the tongue due to its fine, effervescent carbonation. Sweet adjunct-laden malt dominates the flavor; balanced by an underlying bitterness that's accentuated by it's crisp carbonation. It finishes semi-dry with some residual sticky malt about the mouth. Well made, but not very interesting.

3.86/5  rDev +94%

The look is just a straw yellow basic domestic lager color with small white head.
The smell is faint; maybe some hints of grains, straw, and a little alcohol
The taste, in my opinion, is exceptional for the style of beer that it is. It's just a smooth "beer" taste. There's nothing special about it, but it is far from being "bad". It's actually great in my opinion, to have 6% alcohol and be this smooth along with a great taste.

I feel anyone who hates this beer is someone who hasn't appreciated all different styles of beer for what they are. This beer isn't meant to be fussed over and smelled and examined; it's meant to be drank whether after work or playing beer pong etc. You drink it, it gets the job done, you don't complain about it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy craft beer as much as the next craft beer snob, but I never disrespect the traditional domestic beers that started it all. This beer is best served ice cold, the mouth feel is extremely thin and the drinkability is exceptional. If I were to give someone this beer blindfolded, I guarantee they'd never guess that it's nearly 6% alcohol. There isn't much to the taste, it is your basic domestic lager taste with a watery feel. For the price and the buzz that catches you by surprise, this beer is damn good. It needs to be judged in its own category rather than looked down on by craft beer snobs. If you're a working person who's on a budget and wants to relax after work without breaking the bank, pick up a few 16 oz Natural Ices. It will surprise you how smooth it is while retaining such a high alcohol percentage. For the beer that it is, within its own adjunct ice beer category, it is king. So when I'm not in the mood to drink an extremely hoppy bitter beer like 90 minute IPA or a thick stout like Old Rasputin, I'll stick to Natural Ice or Budweiser. Don't knock it until you try it. It does what it's designed to do, get you a great buzz with an extremely smooth and drinkable feel.

3.1/5  rDev +55.8%

A-Clear golden appearance with soapy head that dies to nothing. Very carbonated. Looks like an American beer.

S-Sweet corn. Very grainy. I'd guess that is from the barley malt. Smells like an American beer.

T- Very sweet and corny. Light spiciness from the "American and imported hops" Anheuser-Busch claims is in this beer. Dry finish like an American beer has. Overall it's slightly richer tasting than most American lagers (probably the style is the reason)nothing more, nothing less to say here. Not disgusting or really awesome.

M- Light, crisp, clean and refreshing. Highly carbonated. I haven't had many ice lagers in my day (just Bud Ice a few times), but it's got a slightly bigger body than a regular Natural or Bud product.

Overall it's beer. It not good, nor is it bad. If you can't enjoy it for what it is, you're missing the point of beers like this.

4.48/5  rDev +125.1%

The only 'cheap' beer I genuinely like. Sure, it's watery but I like the overall flavor. When I drink other cheap beers like PBR or Budweiser, I don't really enjoy the taste. They just taste...meh. Natty Ice is a great value and has a fun, sort of banana-like taste. I wish they expanded on this to make it less watery.
Smell: I haven't smelled this beer actively thinking about what it smells like. I'm giving it a 4 because it probably smells similar to how it tastes. I rate it lower because I don't care about the smell or the look or the feel.
Look: Only had it in a can but I'm sure not very good for a beeradvocate!
Feel: Between drinking water and soda. When cold, it's refreshing on a hot day.
Overall: Very good for a cheap beer. I like the banana flavor but wish it could be stronger. Maybe there are some other, higher quality beers that have a stronger taste but I wouldn't know where to look and I love the value/alcohol found in this beer.

2.51/5  rDev +26.1%

By no means is this a great beer but it isn't as bad as the score may show. I'm drinking it because I'm trying to shed some pounds but hanging with gang still demands some beer. Trust me I'm a sworn craft beer loyalist. But this beer is the most efficient beer you can drink in terms of the amount of alcohol to calories. 5.9% ABV 130 calories.

On getdrunknotfat.com it rates as the first beer in their efficiency chart after numerous liquors.

The first one tastes a little harsh but after that it's just as tasteless as any other domestic.

Yes. I could just have less BUT better beer or no beer at all but during March madness that's not an option. Try it. It's cheap and no worse than a PBR for more ABV.

2.38/5  rDev +19.6%

Sampled from 25oz can into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a sudsy white 1" head that falls fairly quick with some lacing left behind. Color is clear pale straw. Plenty of streaming bubbles.

Aroma: mild aroma of corn sweetness, white bread and not much else.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with an easy dry finish. Quite watery.

Flavor: some light barley notes, plenty of corn sweetness, maybe a bit of husks, with a hint of hops in the end. There is a slight alcohol presence in the finish.

Overall: First time I have ever tried this. I wasn't expecting much, so was surprised that it was not offensive at all. Definitely want to drink this one ice cold.

1.12/5  rDev -43.7%

This is the hangover beer.. If you take one sip you are automatically hungover.. but if your funds are low, and you need to put one on..This beer Will definitely do the trick..6 pack of tall boys go for 3.99 where I live. So say a prayer and throw a few hail Maries and chug. . But be prepared for the wrath tomorrow.

2.06/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance – Clear light yellow body with a fluffy white head.

Smell – A very faint smell of grain is present; otherwise nothing.

Taste – Light creamed corn flavor with a Sweet ‘N Low finish.

Mouthfeel – Very cheap carbonation and no smoothness or refreshiness at all.

Drinkability – Even ice cold, this one is hard to swallow.

Comments – I wish I could be more productive, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what they were trying to do here. The ABV appears predominantly on the front label, so maybe they’re trying to sell it as a quick way to get drunk.

There was nothing absolutely disgusting in the can, so I wouldn’t feel right about oneing it. But, this is definitely a beer to put on your piss list.

1.44/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Natty Ice, or as I like to call it: Natural Eisbock. Sounds much better that way. The disdain of many a college student's Friday and Saturday nights, this beer typically brings nothing but trouble. Usually enjoyed straight from the can or out of a red solo cup; best paired with unprotected sex and various other bad life choices.

More pale than Kristen Stewart with less head than Ichabod. See what I did there? Natty Ice has got me doing crazy things again. Noses were a part of evolution so that when humans smelled something like this, they would be sure not to consume it. Grains, steel, booze (it's only 5.9% ABV... wut). Hops are mildew-ish and musty. But maybe this beer is just old. Who knows.

Take a sip of this shit and try not to flair your nostrils, scrunch your eyebrows, or grimace. It's very hard. Unless you're already about 8 or 9 deep, in which case they'll be flowing like a river at that point. Muted sweet malts, faint graininess, old musky hops, and a stale, metallic astringency in the finish. Crisp and dry, thinner than my bank account.

Why am I wasting my time with this beer. I'm not in college anymore. I have a job. I have a REAL job where I make REAL money and I have a fridge full of decent-to-excellent craft beer. I'm not standing in front of a table of strategically placed plastic cups and there are no Greek letters anywhere around me. Even for "magro lagers", there are much better choices than this swill.

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

1.52/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.11/5  rDev +6%

Good old Natty! Whenever I cannot pay the price for my favorite Stone or Rogue beer, or if I'm going to a college party, Natty is the way to go. Over the years of drunken parties and good times, I have aquired a tollerance for Natty. It looks like shit, tastes like shit, and if you drink too many without hydrating yourself afterwards, you'll feel like shit. But in a pinch, it gets the job done and gets it done well.

2.5/5  rDev +25.6%

1.23/5  rDev -38.2%

This beer is garbage. It pours a light yellow and has a horrid smell. The taste is extremely watery and reminds of tonic water. I agree that the only place for this beer is on the far end of a table for beer pong. It's cheap and does the job if you're short on cash.

2.8/5  rDev +40.7%

Of course this isn't the best beer in the world and I don't think anyone at AB would seriously try to say it was, but it's a good bit stronger and in my opinion more of a 'beer' than natural light which is the same price.

I especially like this as a backup beer when I am going to a party or event I know there will be moochers at. I drink up my good beer then finish off and hand out the ice's.

for 13.99 a case... you really can't find anything that's actually better for that cheap. Possibly Red Dog, but I don't see that beer in stores anymore at least in my state.

2.05/5  rDev +3%

12 onz. cheap-looking can

Appearance: very pale yellow with thin white head.

Smell: alcohol and some grains

Taste: Carbonated,almost no hops or malt.kind of watery.

Mouthfeel: Easy to drink as water is easy to drink.

Notes: This is a sub-premium beer (cheap one) but this beer is not actually that bad. It can be like best of the worst.

1.28/5  rDev -35.7%

There are bonus-strength lagers out there that get their character from malt and hops. This is NOT one of them. That fermented corn taste that the pigs down at Walters' farm can't get enough of is here, loud and proud. A beer best served ice cold, and preferably to someone else.

This poor beer has been beaten up so by so many other reviewers i hate to ass insult to injury but this beer deserves a 1. well it deserves a zero but one is the lowest it goes, and 1 does have awful next to it, so it's the best i can do. This beer has a taste and it isnt good. cheap malt and hops combine for a distinct and regretable trip to beer hell. Putred comes to mind, horrable also. But in the words of Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank "It's bad, it's just bad" Why drink this??? The only upside to this is that your not paying a lot for your bad beer, like paying $4 for some guy to beat you with a baseball bat; it sucked but at least it was cheap?

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch