Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 316 | Hads: 1,302

That's right. This beer gets the highest marks all around. It's $1.42 per 40 ounce bottle here and I prefer it to any other "cheap beer" and a lot of the more "spendy" beers on the shelves. I have indeed tried them all. It's like a sore dick. You can't beat it.

It does it's job. I may be an considered an alcoholic but my wife and I drink this to get drunk and it works. No bad taste. We drink right out of the can and it is the best bang for your buck. I'm not a beer snob like some on here, so if you're looking to get drunk for cheap this is the beer to drink. We don't get a hangover from it and it doesn't hurt my wallet.

Appearance, beautiful body, yellow, nice head with 1 finger.

Smell, wonder smell of sweet bread, no malt body, wonderful hop profile.

Taste, tastes sweet, mildly hopped, ends with a crisps ice taste.

Mouthfeel, wonderful crispness.

Overall, this get's me loaded when I need it. I've had The younger, Heady Topper, Elder, Zombie Dust, etc etc, eat a $hit beer snobs, sometimes you need to get loaded and this does it. Doesn't taste all that bad either. If spotting bananas are your thing, look no further.

4.9/5  rDev +146.2%

So you think I`m crazy for rating this perfect?
Well I`m NOT - buy a big-ass Criscraft Constellation beautiful mahogany boat and invite tons of strippers out in it every weekend, this beer is LOVED by slutty bitches cause they can`t even taste the "beer" and they get sooo smashed before they know it, you got naked strippers everywhere and pussy wanting to be eaten all over your face! (and all over each others face).
Just take that shit "belowdeck" on the 4th of July cause the Coastguard can be rough on you after families complain that their kids want to breastfeed again for some reason at age 15!!!
This shit will get you soooo fucked up - after the first few - who cares about the water taste?
As a matter of fact serve it ice cold in generic water bottles - works great for "hard" working strippers who need "refreshments".
It always brings back NO memories! ha!
*Oh just to add to this - this beer maybe substituted by ICEHOUSE beer at anytime for the same effect!

4.75/5  rDev +138.7%

Meh. Ok.... I guess. Someone paid me to drink this piss warm. I regret nothing. I won that bet. Then i popped a can ice cold. Drinkable that way. Actually surprisingly not bad, when you see its cheaper than keystone where i bought it, and somehow its not instantaneous projectile vomiting.
one of and this isnt saying much, the better ice beers around. Actually has some flavor to it. I am comparing this against beers in its class, Namely Keystone Ice Milwaukees best ICE, Bud Ice, and Busch ice. Compared to those things this seems not bad. Not that it matters. you drink a few bottles of natural ice you forget all about the flavor. Trust me, this stuff will f**k you up. They go down incredibly easy cold anyway. Don't do what i did and accept a wager to drink it hot without puking. Its pretty awful hot. Then again, what beer isnt? had a Sierra Nevada Pale ale ice cold, beats all of these things ive rated. once it gets warm, its just as bad.

4.75/5  rDev +138.7%

I like Natural Ice very much! And now it is the only beer I will drink, here's why. Most beer gives me a serious headache when I drink more than one or two servings, so I basically had to quit drinking beer. Then I found Natural Ice! I don't know what Anheuser-Busch did that's different, but thanks to their creation of Natural Ice, I can drink beer again.

Natural Ice has a crisp clean, slightly sweet taste and the carbonation isn't too light or too heavy. Also, I did a test with Natural Ice by leaving a half of a tall can in the refrigerator for two days, obviously-open. Most beer would be good and flat by then, but not Natural Ice. After the two days open in the fridge, I poured it into a clear glass and it had almost as much head as a freshly opened beer. I drank it and it was still great. Any other beer I would have poured down the drain.

4.48/5  rDev +125.1%

The only 'cheap' beer I genuinely like. Sure, it's watery but I like the overall flavor. When I drink other cheap beers like PBR or Budweiser, I don't really enjoy the taste. They just taste...meh. Natty Ice is a great value and has a fun, sort of banana-like taste. I wish they expanded on this to make it less watery.
Smell: I haven't smelled this beer actively thinking about what it smells like. I'm giving it a 4 because it probably smells similar to how it tastes. I rate it lower because I don't care about the smell or the look or the feel.
Look: Only had it in a can but I'm sure not very good for a beeradvocate!
Feel: Between drinking water and soda. When cold, it's refreshing on a hot day.
Overall: Very good for a cheap beer. I like the banana flavor but wish it could be stronger. Maybe there are some other, higher quality beers that have a stronger taste but I wouldn't know where to look and I love the value/alcohol found in this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +124.6%

Guys, sometimes you drink beer to frat your face off and get drunk. In those situations, you need fuel, fuel that is also beer. Natty ice IS YOUR FUEL. It's got enough of the good stuff to take your party to the next level, but a name that suggests a way cooler and smoother finish then you actually get - but who cares, cause after 3 of these bad boys you're in the zone.

4.2/5  rDev +111.1%

Natural Ice has a deep, golden color and a standard head. I has somewhat lower carbonation than a typical American-style lager. Natty Ice has a mild, pleasant aroma and tastes very good. This beer feels good in the mouth and going down. It's got good body and a bite to it. Overall, I'd say it's one of the, if not the best, value priced (Anheuser-Busch's words) ice beer on the market. For what one gets, it's a bargain. It goes well with just about any hardy foods.

4.17/5  rDev +109.5%

I love Natural Ice Beer! I like how it does not have a watered down taste to it. The beer has a bite to it. I also like how strong it is compared to other beers in the same price range which is another reason I love this beer. It is cheap! I don't think a beer has to cost a lot to be a great beer. It seems to have a bad rep around where i live, but I love it!

4.06/5  rDev +104%

I have to say, when I first drank this beer it tasted great. I think it has been downgraded in quality and now tastes not so good. Once was good now sucks. I think that batches differ considerably, compounded by freshness variables. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE it gets cheaped out after initial success..

Where can it be found so cheap? This isn't much for me as it is for my step-father who's disabled and likes natural ice. Any tips or tricks on cheaper is great for his purpose. I like it as well since it does the job for the low buck vs. most. Thanks

3.96/5  rDev +99%

Its a good Beer for the Buck only 5.40 a six pack of 16 oz cans where I live in silverbay mn but it is a good beer for a cheap beer better than bush an has a good color an flavor if your not realy into the hoppy beers other wise its head goes to quick other than that its a good beer

3.9/5  rDev +96%

This is a quality beverage if you're in a mood for a buzz. The drinkability is excellent and the cost can't be beat ($6 for a 12 pack).

I don't understand judging appearance (who cares what it looks like...tastes the same). The smell is neutral as well.

Lots of people slam this beer as being lowbrow, but if you're willing to not jump on the beer snob bandwagon, you'll find a surprisingly tasty brew.

Highly recommended.

3.86/5  rDev +94%

The look is just a straw yellow basic domestic lager color with small white head.
The smell is faint; maybe some hints of grains, straw, and a little alcohol
The taste, in my opinion, is exceptional for the style of beer that it is. It's just a smooth "beer" taste. There's nothing special about it, but it is far from being "bad". It's actually great in my opinion, to have 6% alcohol and be this smooth along with a great taste.

I feel anyone who hates this beer is someone who hasn't appreciated all different styles of beer for what they are. This beer isn't meant to be fussed over and smelled and examined; it's meant to be drank whether after work or playing beer pong etc. You drink it, it gets the job done, you don't complain about it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy craft beer as much as the next craft beer snob, but I never disrespect the traditional domestic beers that started it all. This beer is best served ice cold, the mouth feel is extremely thin and the drinkability is exceptional. If I were to give someone this beer blindfolded, I guarantee they'd never guess that it's nearly 6% alcohol. There isn't much to the taste, it is your basic domestic lager taste with a watery feel. For the price and the buzz that catches you by surprise, this beer is damn good. It needs to be judged in its own category rather than looked down on by craft beer snobs. If you're a working person who's on a budget and wants to relax after work without breaking the bank, pick up a few 16 oz Natural Ices. It will surprise you how smooth it is while retaining such a high alcohol percentage. For the beer that it is, within its own adjunct ice beer category, it is king. So when I'm not in the mood to drink an extremely hoppy bitter beer like 90 minute IPA or a thick stout like Old Rasputin, I'll stick to Natural Ice or Budweiser. Don't knock it until you try it. It does what it's designed to do, get you a great buzz with an extremely smooth and drinkable feel.

3.85/5  rDev +93.5%

Clear straw with a low white head, decent carbonation, and some lace. Light aroma overall with some grain and not overly cooked-corn like. Tastes much like it smells with nothing standing out. Medium bodied with a faux-grainy smooth finish... not thin at all.

A headache waiting to happen. :-)

Born On: 08/12/04 (lasered on bottom of can)
Tasted: 01/30/05

3.6/5  rDev +80.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Natural ICE brewed by Anheuser Busch. This ICE Beer has an ABV of 5.9%. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The smell is corn and grains. There is also a hit of hops in this brew. The taste is mild with grains and malts. You can pick up on the 5.9% ABV in this brew. This is a good cheap priced ICE beer. The drink ability of this beer is ok. This brew goes down smooth with no bad aftertaste. There is nothing overpowering about this brew, it has an ok balance to it. Not the best but not the worst., I have had. Overall I'm giving Natural ICE a 4.5 out of 5. When I low on cash I go for good old Natty ICE. Natural ICE has more of a kick to it than Natural Light. Great price for a ICE beer. I would buy this brew again.

3.6/5  rDev +80.9%

The color is a yellow-gold. Some carbonation is present. the head sticks around a bit.

It smells grainy, sweet, bready, and clean.

The taste is grainy, smooth, a smidge of sweetness, lightly bitter, a bubblegum sweetness.

I like Natty Ice. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but among the cheaper beers, I rate this at the top.

3.6/5  rDev +80.9%

For what it is, this is a great beer. I'm a college student and compared to other domestics, especially cheap ones, this is pretty good. It doesn't have much flavor to it at all and is very smooth to drink if its cold. Other cheap domestics like Keystone or Milwaukee's Best have an odd aftertaste to them but not Natty. If I want something with flavor I would definitely look elsewhere, but if i want a buzz to party or need to unwind after a hard day of studying, Natty is perfect.

3.5/5  rDev +75.9%

I have got to give this beer a 3.5 out of 5, its not the best beer but its a damn good beer for your buck. $13.99 before taxes for a 30 pack. To me it tastes pretty good, got a good color and a pleasing smell and taste for your typical american adjunct lager. So yeah at 5.9% abv ice beer, i would roll with this and I am usually a Icehouse fan!

3.5/5  rDev +75.9%

This beer taste malty then carbonated. Not a strong taste but balanced. Best beer for your money 13.99 a 30 pack here. I'm satisfied and would recommend. Seems like the flavor has changed since inbev and anhueser merged. I drink this in the can clean taste no metallic taste. Light mouth fill and light taste.

3.45/5  rDev +73.4%

Just a quick one to say that this beer is perhaps being a rated a little harshly?
At my local bottleshop, this stuff costs less than $12 for 24 of 'em! A beer at that price could be far, far worse in taste and after-effects. I find, in this price range, a lack of taste is prefered to a strongly offensive "flavor". The taste here is quite inoffensive and the 5.9% will get you where you want to go, which is always nice. So I would say if you're on a budget, or saving for something, give it a go. Anyone who thinks this beer is as bad as it gets should drink a case of Milwaukee's Best Ice. Natural Ice is a great beer for someone who's as broke as a "Bum", but doesn't wish to wake up feeling like one! (See Milwaukee's Best Ice). Take it easy boys and girls!

3.4/5  rDev +70.9%

Natural Ice. Less than $15 for a 30-pack.

Tasteless when near frozen.
Smell is non-existent.
Overly carbonated, more so than most sodas.
EXTREME Drinkability. It is like chilled carbonated water.

And the best attribute: 5.9% ABV.

Enemy of beer snobs worldwide, best friend of the impoverished.

Natural Ice is 100% win.

3.38/5  rDev +69.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Typical pale yellow macro color with the usaul macro nose.The taste is has a slight steel and alcohol taste to it.You know what your getting when you buy one and for the money I think it's worth it.The perfect beer if playing cards,watching football or just kicking back after a rough day!!

3.38/5  rDev +69.8%

As many here have stated, this is a great low-budget head-buzzer. And you can make a great, non-fishy Chelada with this: Get an insulated glass filled with ice cubes, sprinkle some salt on the cubes, some fine powdered black pepper, a squirt of lime juice, pour the beer to 3/4 of the glass, then add some cold tomato or V8 (only) juice. Swirl the glass to mix and enjoy!!

A: Plain, pale gold with pure white one-finger head.

S: What's to smell...plain, skunky, but acceptable for what it is.

T: See 'smell'...

MF: Watery, good carbonation.

O: I drink this when watching football and other TV. Fills in when I tire of my collection of crafts!! I often start a session with a good craft like Pliny, Sculpin or HopSlam, then switch over to NI to finish before eating dinner. I like this beer.

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch