2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Natural IceNatural Ice

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Ratings: 943 | Reviews: 283 | Show All Ratings:
zawa

4.89/5  rDev +181%

OK!
So you think I`m crazy for rating this perfect?
Well I`m NOT - buy a big-ass Criscraft Constellation beautiful mahogany boat and invite tons of strippers out in it every weekend, this beer is LOVED by slutty bitches cause they can`t even taste the "beer" and they get sooo smashed before they know it, you got naked strippers everywhere and pussy wanting to be eaten all over your face! (and all over each others face).
Just take that shit "belowdeck" on the 4th of July cause the Coastguard can be rough on you after families complain that their kids want to breastfeed again for some reason at age 15!!!
This shit will get you soooo fucked up - after the first few - who cares about the water taste?
As a matter of fact serve it ice cold in generic water bottles - works great for "hard" working strippers who need "refreshments".
I LOVE THIS BEER!!!
It always brings back NO memories! ha!
*Oh just to add to this - this beer maybe substituted by ICEHOUSE beer at anytime for the same effect!

08-06-2013 04:32:54 | More by zawa
thea67

4.78/5  rDev +174.7%

I like Natural Ice very much! And now it is the only beer I will drink, here's why. Most beer gives me a serious headache when I drink more than one or two servings, so I basically had to quit drinking beer. Then I found Natural Ice! I don't know what Anheuser-Busch did that's different, but thanks to their creation of Natural Ice, I can drink beer again.

Natural Ice has a crisp clean, slightly sweet taste and the carbonation isn't too light or too heavy. Also, I did a test with Natural Ice by leaving a half of a tall can in the refrigerator for two days, obviously-open. Most beer would be good and flat by then, but not Natural Ice. After the two days open in the fridge, I poured it into a clear glass and it had almost as much head as a freshly opened beer. I drank it and it was still great. Any other beer I would have poured down the drain.

03-30-2010 21:39:57 | More by thea67
jn245

4.23/5  rDev +143.1%

I love Natural Ice Beer! I like how it does not have a watered down taste to it. The beer has a bite to it. I also like how strong it is compared to other beers in the same price range which is another reason I love this beer. It is cheap! I don't think a beer has to cost a lot to be a great beer. It seems to have a bad rep around where i live, but I love it!

07-14-2012 20:44:01 | More by jn245
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.22/5  rDev +142.5%

Natural Ice has a deep, golden color and a standard head. I has somewhat lower carbonation than a typical American-style lager. Natty Ice has a mild, pleasant aroma and tastes very good. This beer feels good in the mouth and going down. It's got good body and a bite to it. Overall, I'd say it's one of the, if not the best, value priced (Anheuser-Busch's words) ice beer on the market. For what one gets, it's a bargain. It goes well with just about any hardy foods.

RJT

02-17-2010 18:44:41 | More by RonaldTheriot

4.05/5  rDev +132.8%

I have to say, when I first drank this beer it tasted great. I think it has been downgraded in quality and now tastes not so good. Once was good now sucks. I think that batches differ considerably, compounded by freshness variables. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE it gets cheaped out after initial success..

12-23-2013 03:28:23 | More by 978577
macnolias

Where can it be found so cheap? This isn't much for me as it is for my step-father who's disabled and likes natural ice. Any tips or tricks on cheaper is great for his purpose. I like it as well since it does the job for the low buck vs. most. Thanks

Serving type: nitro-can

01-17-2014 00:15:29 | More by macnolias
Guardian

3.95/5  rDev +127%

This is a quality beverage if you're in a mood for a buzz. The drinkability is excellent and the cost can't be beat ($6 for a 12 pack).

I don't understand judging appearance (who cares what it looks like...tastes the same). The smell is neutral as well.

Lots of people slam this beer as being lowbrow, but if you're willing to not jump on the beer snob bandwagon, you'll find a surprisingly tasty brew.

Highly recommended.

06-29-2003 18:38:37 | More by Guardian
BennyBeer

3.95/5  rDev +127%

Its a good Beer for the Buck only 5.40 a six pack of 16 oz cans where I live in silverbay mn but it is a good beer for a cheap beer better than bush an has a good color an flavor if your not realy into the hoppy beers other wise its head goes to quick other than that its a good beer

04-06-2014 00:29:32 | More by BennyBeer
RBorsato

3.88/5  rDev +123%

Clear straw with a low white head, decent carbonation, and some lace. Light aroma overall with some grain and not overly cooked-corn like. Tastes much like it smells with nothing standing out. Medium bodied with a faux-grainy smooth finish... not thin at all.

A headache waiting to happen. :-)

Born On: 08/12/04 (lasered on bottom of can)
Tasted: 01/30/05

01-31-2005 18:39:09 | More by RBorsato
JoLight

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev +109.8%

The color is a yellow-gold. Some carbonation is present. the head sticks around a bit.

It smells grainy, sweet, bready, and clean.

The taste is grainy, smooth, a smidge of sweetness, lightly bitter, a bubblegum sweetness.

I like Natty Ice. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but among the cheaper beers, I rate this at the top.

06-14-2011 04:25:34 | More by JoLight
nicholas2121

3.58/5  rDev +105.7%

Natural ICE is Made by Anheuser Busch is an ICE Beer with an ABV of 5.9. This is a good cheap priced ICE beer. The drink ability of this beer is ok. Not the best but not the worst. When I low on cash I go for good old Natty ICE. Natural ICE has more of a kick to it than Natural Light. Great price for a ICE beer

03-03-2010 17:52:07 | More by nicholas2121
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +101.1%

I have got to give this beer a 3.5 out of 5, its not the best beer but its a damn good beer for your buck. $13.99 before taxes for a 30 pack. To me it tastes pretty good, got a good color and a pleasing smell and taste for your typical american adjunct lager. So yeah at 5.9% abv ice beer, i would roll with this and I am usually a Icehouse fan!

12-24-2013 09:10:01 | More by MarkSmith86
AussieInPhilly

3.45/5  rDev +98.3%

Just a quick one to say that this beer is perhaps being a rated a little harshly?
At my local bottleshop, this stuff costs less than $12 for 24 of 'em! A beer at that price could be far, far worse in taste and after-effects. I find, in this price range, a lack of taste is prefered to a strongly offensive "flavor". The taste here is quite inoffensive and the 5.9% will get you where you want to go, which is always nice. So I would say if you're on a budget, or saving for something, give it a go. Anyone who thinks this beer is as bad as it gets should drink a case of Milwaukee's Best Ice. Natural Ice is a great beer for someone who's as broke as a "Bum", but doesn't wish to wake up feeling like one! (See Milwaukee's Best Ice). Take it easy boys and girls!

06-05-2005 00:06:43 | More by AussieInPhilly
zachary1122

Indiana

3.45/5  rDev +98.3%

This beer taste malty then carbonated. Not a strong taste but balanced. Best beer for your money 13.99 a 30 pack here. I'm satisfied and would recommend. Seems like the flavor has changed since inbev and anhueser merged. I drink this in the can clean taste no metallic taste. Light mouth fill and light taste.

07-09-2013 04:03:46 | More by zachary1122
matty

3.4/5  rDev +95.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Typical pale yellow macro color with the usaul macro nose.The taste is has a slight steel and alcohol taste to it.You know what your getting when you buy one and for the money I think it's worth it.The perfect beer if playing cards,watching football or just kicking back after a rough day!!

10-03-2007 23:15:06 | More by matty
Beerislife652854

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev +95.4%

Natural Ice. Less than $15 for a 30-pack.

BEST CHEAP BEER EVER.

Tasteless when near frozen.
Smell is non-existent.
Overly carbonated, more so than most sodas.
EXTREME Drinkability. It is like chilled carbonated water.

And the best attribute: 5.9% ABV.

Enemy of beer snobs worldwide, best friend of the impoverished.

Natural Ice is 100% win.

12-22-2009 14:37:02 | More by Beerislife652854
Emerson1310

3.35/5  rDev +92.5%

As many here have stated, this is a great low-budget head-buzzer. And you can make a great, non-fishy Chelada with this: Get an insulated glass filled with ice cubes, sprinkle some salt on the cubes, some fine powdered black pepper, a squirt of lime juice, pour the beer to 3/4 of the glass, then add some cold tomato or V8 (only) juice. Swirl the glass to mix and enjoy!!

A: Plain, pale gold with pure white one-finger head.

S: What's to smell...plain, skunky, but acceptable for what it is.

T: See 'smell'...

MF: Watery, good carbonation.

O: I drink this when watching football and other TV. Fills in when I tire of my collection of crafts!! I often start a session with a good craft like Pliny, Sculpin or HopSlam, then switch over to NI to finish before eating dinner. I like this beer.

10-25-2011 19:59:21 | More by Emerson1310
bbluemzbeer

3.34/5  rDev +92%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This always the cheapest beer in the market here in Southern California. I decide to try it out.

Appearance: Light yellow. head fades away quick.. Standard for the style.

Smells: Smelss like lager beer,.

Taste : . Like A bit of adjunct, bit sweet, even a lbig tinge of hops at the end . It is watered down, though. Real it is beer for geting buzz.

Moutful: Watery. It essentially feels like fizzy water.

Overall:. Drank this beer ice cold , it will not taste bad. I would choose this over Miller High Life, Bud Lite, and coors lite. If I was on budget or for beer pong or dranking game buy it . For cheap beer it is good!

04-26-2013 17:01:46 | More by bbluemzbeer
TTAmod

3.28/5  rDev +88.5%

Drank straight from 24 oz. can. I've seen it before so it's not big deal. Looks the same as any other macro.

A: Light yellow. Very fizzy. Bit of head. Standard for the style.

S: Honestly doesn't smell like anything. Can pick up a bit of adjunct type stuff.

T: Not terribly offensive, actually. A bit of adjunct, bit sweet, even a little tinge of hops. Extremely watered down, though.

M: Watery. It essentially feels like fizzy water.

O: Gotta give this one some props. Most of these kinds of beers are really disgusting. This one isn't too offensive and is easily drinkable. I'd choose this over Miller Lite, Bud Lite, Icehouse, etc.

11-14-2011 05:50:54 | More by TTAmod
sabinelr

Washington

3.25/5  rDev +86.8%

A - Well, I couldn't really see it, but the can is sort of bold
S - Smells like someone tried to put some malt and hops in but they were caught before they finished
T - I was hoping to taste malt and hops and stuff, but the alcohol took over. Not that I'm complaining...
M - Sort of like when you are a teenager and you have put something forbidden in your mouth for the first time. Better than drinking gin or chartreuse straight, and way better than Steel Reserve or Baltika. Nothing particularly stands out.
D - Slam 'em down. For sure. On the other hand, it might be giving me a headache, but maybe it's just the weather.

I think the other derogatory remarks come from the good beer cultists. If I'da had this in my younger days I'd be rolling around the floor in stupefied ecstasy, and I would have never touched that fifth of Gallo muscatel. Lighten up, guys. You must be those guys who won't buy a gut bomb from the dollar menu. Only two cans, and it is taking hold, while I sob in nostalgia listening to Ray singing "Georgia On My Mind."

05-05-2009 05:59:43 | More by sabinelr
dankster

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev +86.8%

Was just broke today so i grabed some.

Fizzy and yellow look but the smell is pretty clean. Taste is super clean when ice cold and the month is water. but you knew that already right! anyway my go to cheap drink when i just need a buzz. for only 8 a 12 pack cant beat it.

12-14-2011 21:48:21 | More by dankster
Rddymk

Indiana

3.21/5  rDev +84.5%

Big head at first then dies quickly. Very nice on the sides of the tongue and then finishes with a good mouthfeel. The alcohol creeps up on you very quickly and then, BAM, you are on your ass! Whoa! Ate pretzels and sardines in mustard sauce to keep the buzz in check. Finally finished with 2 more and went to bed.

03-26-2013 22:34:49 | More by Rddymk
troobie

3.2/5  rDev +83.9%

Don't smell this beer. Seriously, don't do it. I don't care how tough you think you are, you won't be able to handle it. Get this beer ice cold in the freezer, then drink it. This has to be the worst smelling beer ever, and I've had alot of bad beers. I have no idea what it looks like because drinking it outside of its "home" is just asking for trouble. Based on what I have typed so far, you'll be surprised to know I think it tastes pretty good. I enjoy the high carbonation, but that decreases exponentially as the beer warms. Speaking of warming, you don't want to let that happen. Adjust your drinking speed accordingly. This is a 5.9% mass produced cheap ice beer. You wanna get drunk? Buy alot of this beer and drink it fast.

04-15-2007 12:14:23 | More by troobie
IPhantom

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev +83.9%

This is my single favorite dirt-cheap, high-alcohol beer, and that will never change. Take it for what it is: it's cost-effective, it's scary enough to form a brotherhood, and it's bound to make a tailgate more interesting. I take great pride that I have such a diverse palette that I've stuck my nose into some truly great beers, but I'll still be able to sit around a campfire or a Coleman popup grill, guzzle a Nat, and be totally happy.

On to my clearly unbiased review...Appearance is a crapshoot. I've only ever had a Nat NOT out of a can one or twice, when a State College bar had $1.50 pints. I call it average because I imagine it's fizzy and yellow. Likewise with the smell. Never really bothered with it, but I would guess it's malty, to the grassy side, and laden with fusel smells. The taste, let's be honest, we've all had worse. The point is to get that first one down and then go to town. Mouthfeel, on the other hand, I would actually say is good. It's well-carbonated, and somewhat refreshing after those first few swigs. After a while, the fusel notes provide a bite that leaves you wanting another taste.

Again, take it for what it is: the best of a bad bunch. Cough up your $6, turn off your palette for a second, turn your hat backward, put on a movie that makes you laugh, and enjoy.

09-17-2011 00:02:57 | More by IPhantom
DarkerTheBetter

3.13/5  rDev +79.9%

This beer poured a straw yellow with some dirty orange highlights and a thin film of white head.

Smells of cigarettes, armpit, limes and corn.

All else considered, the flavor blew my mind. Tastes light and smooth with a corn and wheat base along with some green grapes and cherries. What freaked me out was a faint Belgian-like spice. Where did that come from? There’s also some strange acidic sting that accompanies the fruit aspects, but lingers long into the finish.

The mouth feel is a glassy smooth light body with a light big bubbled carbonation.

This was way better than I anticipated. An interesting flavor and nice mouth feel make this a pretty good beer for the price. However, I don’t think I’ll actively seek this one out in cans.

02-10-2006 17:26:30 | More by DarkerTheBetter